Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#445650 - Sat Nov 01 2008 02:51 AM November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.
    Mondays - Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby
    Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
    Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
    Thursdays - Nakarinna
    Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
    Saturdays - Mugaboo
Any changes to the above list of hosts, please let us know.

#445651 - Sat Nov 01 2008 02:55 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Round 1 - - Saturday 1st November

1. Name one of the Seven Wonders of Ukraine. (As voted for in 2007)
2. Name any book that was first published two hundred years ago in 1808.
3. Please give me the name of one of the winning photographers in the "Adult Awards" section, of The Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition 2008.
As awarded by the Natural History Museum and BBC Wildlife Magazine.
4. Name one of the ravens currently in residence at the Tower of London.
5. From here, please tell me the name of one of the top ten castles and forts in the Algarve.

As I'm going to the Algarve, the round will stay open for about 10 days. For those who want to know, I'll be running a ten mile race over this bridge next Sunday, and staying in Monte Gordo (on the left of the aerial photo) - aapologies for missing rounds, while I'm away.

#445652 - Tue Nov 04 2008 02:43 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday Nov 3 – quiz

Before carrying on with the round, would just like to say All the best to Mugaboo for his race next Sunday

Bicycles – I remembered having one of those kiddie bicycles which looked totally grown up and cool, except for those two little extra wheels bolted to the back wheel. The bicycle was red and white and shiny and I had to share it with my big sister but that was okay, she taught me how to ride it. I remembered being nervous and excited the day the extra wheels were taken off. And I remember falling over a lot after that too.

1) Holland, land of bicycles – According to one site, Holland has more bicycles than residents. Now I’m not entirely sure how accurate this is and whether Holland here is being used interchangeably with The Netherlands. I have been guilty of thinking of The Netherlands as Holland and vice versa. In researching this question, I have found out that Holland actually makes up two of the twelve provinces that form The Netherlands. Anyway, I couldn’t find any information on the current population of the provinces of Holland alone, but assuming the site is referring to The Netherlands, the 2008 estimated population of The Netherlands is 16,440,113 so that would mean a lot of Dutch bikes are out there. From this page, please give me any one of the 8 listed special Traffic Rules that apply to bicycles and mopeds in Holland.

2) Road bicycle racing is popular, physically demanding and can be exciting to watch. One of the most well-known road cycle races is the Tour de France, which together with the Giro d’Italia and the Vuelta a Espana make up the Grand Tours. Please give me the name of a country that has been represented by any of the Grand Tours winners from 1991 to the current year.

3) Exercise bikes – Once upon a time an exercise bike found its way into a home. It was all the rage. It was so popular that a schedule of usage had to be drawn up. Eventually its popularity waned, the schedule was discarded and the bike was moved from its place of honour to a more dusty, less conspicuous corner, where it remained for years, until one day when it acquired a new owner and the cycle began again. Such is the life of many a piece of exercise equipment in my house. From here, please give me any one point under What to look for in an exercise bike if you are thinking of buying one.

4) Comfort and other considerations – Anyone who has spent significant time on a bicycle seat can attest to the importance of having really good cycling shorts. Then there’s the helmet, shoes, gloves, bike locks, bike pumps, jackets, jerseys etc and we haven’t even considered the bike yet. To ease would-be cyclists into the world of cycling, there’s “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cycling”. From its table of contents, please give me the title of a chapter under Part 4: The Care and Feeding of a Bicycle or Part 5: Play Well with Others. I can send a list of the chapter titles to anyone who may be having problems using the online readers.

5) The first and most basic bicycle repair is to fix a flat tire. This article has ten steps on how to change a flat tire on your bicycle. Please give me any one of those steps.

This round will close on Saturday 8 November at midnight FT time. Wishing one and all a very good week ahead. Will be back real soon (hopefully) with Tuesday’s round.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Nov 04 2008 02:47 AM)

#445653 - Tue Nov 04 2008 02:37 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday Nov 4 – quiz

COLD

1) Please give me any word that uses all the letters in the word ‘Cold’. Letters can be used in any order and other letters may be added.

2) Is it a cold or the flu? From here, please give me any of the symptoms listed in the table that is used to help distinguish a cold from the flu. 11 symptoms to choose from.

3) There is the old saying that “Chicken soup can cure the common cold”. This page lists the ten most popular myths in science with the chicken soup saying coming in as number 7. Please give me any one of the myths, excluding myth number 7 if you please. Also if you click on each myth, you can read about whether there is any truth in the myth.

4) “Colditz” is a British TV series with an original broadcast run from 1972 to 1974. The series is about Allied prisoners of war interred at Colditz Castle during WW2. It’s been described as less action, more strange psychological drama. I have never watched the series but it does sound interesting. It is available on DVD so I might get to see it sometime. Please give me the name of an actor who appeared in ten or more episodes of the series.

5) In as few words as possible, please tell me how you would stay warm when the weather turns cold.

This round will close on Sunday 9 November at midnight FT time. Please PM for help. Thanks for reading, hope you’ll play.

#445654 - Wed Nov 05 2008 07:27 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 5 ~ Wednesday

Well, since it seems to have been the focus of my entire life for literally months now, I figured I'd close off the chapters on all of this "relocation" nonsense and/or uproar today. May I never need to use the words *change of address* again ...

1. The first 'encounter' I had was with the guy at the *dumpster store*. Yes, I went shopping around - with an eye on both price and visual appeal? - for a 15-yard contraption that I hoped would be handily planted on my property and, soon after being filled, might get hauled off to some unknown junkyard. I found one. I was (ahem) thrilled . All I could think during the adventure was that, if I didn't watch the thing with some urgency, I might find myself besieged with locals looking to dumpster dive. None showed up, thank heavens. Good thing, too -- they'd have found nothing but, erm, useless trash in there. I'm not prone to discarding valuables, etc., you see. Over on Wikipedia, we're given a few synonyms for the phrase/verb dumpster diving. Pick one of those words or phrases they spotlight, please.

2. Yippee! Soon after the huge trash bin it was time to rustle up a truck. A big ol' one, too, at that. To my utter delight, I took only minutes to find a 28' long machine that both guzzled gas and defied physics. The thing was packed, front-to-back and top-to-bottom, and weighed approximately half the mass of a medium-sized county (give or take a few tons). Yet it travelled. And behaved perfectly, no less! As we went, I kept looking about for a Country Music Television (CMT) film crew ~ thinking we might end up on their new reality TV series "Trick My Trucker". They ambush rough-and-tumble real truckdrivers and *restyle* them, or something equally peculiar. Only 6 episodes of the show so far, though, so kindly tell me the name of any unsuspecting recipient of a makeover on the series "Trick My Trucker". There are 12 to pick from ...

3. My first houseguest (moving crew aside) in my new place was the man with the magic fingers. The guy with, essentially, 8 zillion TV channels in his tool box. The fellow from the cable company! Good timing, too - since he carried my thinking right along the Country Music Television theme I was somewhat adrift in already. They have a 'star' on that network (part of the Blue Collar TV troupe) named Larry the Cable Guy (he's really Daniel Lawrence Whitney). He proved so -um- popular they let him make a movie. Not surprisingly, it was considered one of the worst films of 2006 ... something about Larry on a mission to solve a rash of food poisonings at local four-star restaurants (? ). OK, it wasn't funny then or now but the soundtrack was kinda cool. Tell me a track from the soundtrack (Warner Bros. label, available from Amazon) of "Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector".

4. Yesterday I was visited by Mr. UPS (United Parcel Service). He brought me a modem, the final touch in conjunction with Mr. Cable's project begun the day before. Yikes. His delivery resulted in a few things: yet more wires in my living room, many more little red and green lights all over the premises (it looks much like the bridge of the Enterprise from my seat, if you ask me) AND a speedy call to *tech support* to figure out just what it was I was expected to do with the odd little box. But I like UPS. They're a fine organization - even getting wildly involved with the Toys For Tots program this time each year. Collecting toys for needful children is mighty noble, literacy programs are even better. Pretend you live a couple of hours from me, and tell me a Toys For Tots drop box location in Columbus, Ohio, OK?

5. So now I'm situated, plugged in, unloaded and unpacking boxes galore (a task I will be working at, I'm certain of it, until 2016). But I'm "planted", I reckon. One wee problem remains, though: one essential handyman has not shown up yet. The gentleman who turns on the gas has remained scarce (sigh). Not a HUGE problem, however - it's been unseasonably warm this week. And the stove is electric, which helps. But let's just say that there are times when a gas line hook-up might be a pretty essential feature in a day. Over on 'Earth Clinic' they suggest seven things whereupon cold showers have positive effects. They're quite mistaken on each, I'd say ... but please pick one of those *positives*, anyway .

That'll do it for this time ! This Round will close at noon-ish on Sunday. See you all then!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Nov 06 2008 09:00 AM)

#445655 - Thu Nov 06 2008 11:02 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 6 - Thursday

1. The Salzburg Easter Festival is an annual festival of opera and classical music held in Salzburg, Austria during Easter week. One major opera is performed at the beginning and end of the festival each year. In 2009, the opera highlight will be Wagner's Siegfried. Additionally, the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra will be putting on a series of one choir and two orchestra concerts. Please go to the Easter Festival's website and give me the name of a composer whose work will be featured in this three-concert series.

2. Baleen whales eat by using a set of comb-like plates, called baleen, to sieve food out of the water. The most common dietary staple is krill, shrimp-like marine invertebrates. The shape and structure of these plates varies between species of whale. This baleen was the whalebone once used for umbrella ribs, corsets, buggy whips, and brushes. Please tell me the common name of a species of baleen whale.

3. Josiah Spode was a British potter who is best known for his perfection of the blue underglaze printing process and discovering how to produce fine bone china (aka porcelain). The Spode Factory was founded soon after this discovery, and many different decorative patterns were developed. Please visit the Spode Museum's 'Pattern Histories' section, and select a pattern whose name begins with the letter 't.'

4. "The Owl and the Pussycat" is a famous nonsense poem by Edward Lear, first published in 1871. The poem has been wildly popular, and has been adapted to film, stage, cartoon, and music in the years since its publication. It also includes some of Lear's trademark phrases, such as "runcible spoon" and "pea-green." Please take a look at the text of the poem and choose a word that ends any line - but I only want words that are five or more letters long.

5. Going back to a much less recent yet highly controversial American presidential election, John Quincy Adams defeated Andrew Jackson in 1824 despite having received less popular and electoral votes. This election is notable for being the only time since the passage of the Twelfth Amendment in which the presidential election was decided by the House of Representatives, after neither candidate received a sufficient number of electoral votes to claim the presidency. Please look at how the House of Representatives voted, and pick a state that supported Adams.

This round will close Tuesday, November 11th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#445656 - Fri Nov 07 2008 04:50 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 7 - Friday

This round is dedicated to the capital of Spain, Madrid.

1. Madrid, has been the capital of Spain since 1562, located in the geographic centre of the Iberian Peninsula, and on the shores of the Manzanares River. A multifaceted city rich in history and music tradition, with a remarkable art scene. This city boasts its high culture with the voices of many poets and thinkers still echoing from the cobblestone lanes and resounding in the vast squares. Madrid’s diversity and special flair make for its unique character, very different from what you might expect of a European capital. Would you please give me the name of one of Madrid’s city attractions.

2. Madrid is considered one of the top European destinations concerning art museums. Best known for the Golden Triangle of Art, located along the Paseo del Prado and comprising three museums, El Prado, Thyssen Bornemisza Museum and the Reina Sofia Museum. The most famous one being El Prado, the vast building contains over 4,600 great works including Spanish masterpieces such as ‘Las Meninas’ by Velasquez and many of Goya’s evocative and dark etchings including ‘Naked Maja’.If anyone really wants to see the whole museum they would have to spend days there to see it properly, therefore the Museum suggests routes of 1, 2 and 3 hours for those that don’t have the time, but want to see the most important works of art. From the Prado museum website, go to “what to see” choose the 3 hours in the Museum, please give me the name of one of the artists and their painting that can be seen on this route.

3. The Centro de Arte Reina Sofía is almost exclusively made up of Spanish contemporary art from the 20th century, with works by many of the most important artists such as Picasso, Miró, Dali, Tapies etc. At the museum you can find the famous Guernica, one of Picasso’s masterpieces, this painting used to be housed in New York at the MOMA museum till Franco’s death, as Picasso had stipulated in his will that he did not want the painting returned to Spain until Spain would become once again a republic, Picasso had explicitly stated his desire that the Guernica be exhibited in the Prado and although its present room in the Reina Sofía was expressly built for the work, there are often complaints about difficulty in seeing the painting in its entirety, even though it is no longer behind a bullet-proof glass shield. From the museums site , please click on Picasso, and give me the name of any of his paintings on that page.

4. The Monastery of El Escorial is located on the outskirts of Madrid in the area known as the Valley of the Fallen. Declared a World Heritage Site since 1984, it was the political centre of the empire of King Philip II, where he built a great basilica-church and monastery, and organised his royal household and library. It is also the burial site for most of the Spanish kings of the last five centuries, Bourbons as well as Habsburgs. From here , please give me one of the sections of the building.

5. Hidden Madrid is a book written by father and sun duo Peter and Mark Besas, the book is a practical walking guide for those interested in discovering the most curious off-beat and idiosyncratic aspects of Madrid. Peter Besas worked at Cadena SER radio station, on his program he would entertain his listeners with stories and anecdotes of the offbeat curiosities of the capital. From the Hidden Madrid site , go to more about the book, go to the paragraph that starts with Hidden Madrid is… please give me a seven or more letter word from that first paragraph.

This round will finish on Wednesday 12th Nov. in the afternoon FT time, if you have any queries just PM me. Till then have a great weekend wherever your are.

#445657 - Sat Nov 08 2008 11:09 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Rounds 3 and 4 WERE due to close in approximately 13 hours and 37 hours respectively.

However, I will be extending the close for both till Tuesday 11 November at midnight FT time. I've only received three sets of answers to Round 3 and two for Round 4, so hopefully the close extension will allow for a few more answers to come in. Also, I'm going to be a mite busy tomorrow so the extension will be most helpful.

Good weekend wishes to everyone.

#445658 - Sat Nov 08 2008 12:46 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
And let me add that there is 24 hours to go for Round 5 ....

#445659 - Sun Nov 09 2008 12:52 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 5 - Wednesday
"Moving In"
Five outstanding participants this time

1. Over on Wikipedia, we're given a few synonyms for the phrase/verb dumpster diving. Pick one of those words or phrases they spotlight, please.

For 10 Points:
Alley surfing, D-mart, Garbage gleaning, Garbage picking, Skipping

The rather uninviting (and potentially toxic?) pasttime is also occasionally referred to as: Urban foraging, Binning, Aggressive recycling, Curbing, Dumpstering, Garbaging, Dumpster-raiding, Dump-weaseling, Tatting, Skally-wagging and Trashing.

2. Only 6 episodes of the show so far, though, so kindly tell me the name of any unsuspecting recipient of a makeover on the series "Trick My Trucker".

For 10 Points:
Bob Barnum
For 5 Points:
Don Crawford (2), Fernando Villarino (2)

Nine others to pick from ...

3. Tell me a track from the soundtrack (Warner Bros. label, available from Amazon) of "Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector".

For 10 Points:
The Breeze (by James Otto), Don’t Fear The Reaper (by Blue Oyster Cult), Git-R-Done! (by Montgomery Gentry), Town Needs A Bar (by Jerome McComb), Turn Me Loose (by Loverboy)

True (by Sister South), Love Is Blind (by Jerome McComb), I Want To Know What Love Is (by Foreigner), One More Reason (by Bosshouse) and Chain Of Fools (by Aretha Franklin) also showed up on the album.

4. Pretend you live a couple of hours from me, and tell me a Toys For Tots drop box location in Columbus, Ohio, OK?

For 10 Points:
Life Time Fitness Columbus, Women Physician's in Obgyn Incý, Worthington Meadows
For 5 Points: The Woodlands at Eastland (2)

Books and/or toys can also be dropped at Olentangy Orange High School, A Winning Smile Orthodontics, APA auto parts, Gahanna Attorneys, A Winning Smile Orthodontics (Catherine S. McDevitt, D.M.D's office) -and- Allstate Insurance Company down there in Franklin County.

5. Over on 'Earth Clinic' they suggest seven things whereupon cold showers have positive effects. They're quite mistaken on each, I'd say ... but please pick one of those *positives*, anyway .

For 10 Points:
Brings blood to the capillaries, therefore increasing circulation throughout the body; Cleans the circulatory system; Provides flushing for the organs and provides a new supply of blood; Reduces blood pressure on internal organs; Strengthens the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems

The other two (dubious, at best) benefits of frostbite-friendly showers were that they contract the muscles to eliminate toxins and poisonous wastes and they strengthen the mucous membranes, which help resist hay fever, allergies, colds, coughs.

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr, denni19, maninmidohio
40 Points! .... szabs

So ... congratulations to (virtually) everybody ! Monthly Trivia Points are happily issued to brandz_mygirl, deepakmr (welcome to the Rounds!), denni19 and maninmidohio today.
And (yes) ... the shower now runs hot at my new house. Can't say the same for that uncooperative dishwasher, however. In its case, it won't run at all, hot or cold . Sigh. Things could be much worse, though. I'm sure of it ...

#445660 - Sun Nov 09 2008 11:50 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 10 ~ Monday

I've been hearing about this new movie called The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (or Pajamas in the United States). Sounds like it could be a mighty film experience - a look at the holocaust through the eyes of two young boys, one German and the other Jewish. So it provided the 'map' today ...

1. The story seems a simple one, really - one told (thematically) countless times. All about the unexpected and brutally strong bond that forms between unlikely friends - the differences between them such that they should have never even met, much less become so spiritually connected. In The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, the divisions are there indeed, in its case literally. Two boys become chums through an actual fence ... one that separates Bruno from where his friend Shmuel lives. The former resides in a house that sits next to a concentration camp (which he calls "Out-With") wherein the latter is confined. To begin, please tell me a subcamp that existed in the real (not to mention horrific) Auschwitz, OK? But limit your answers to those that begin with a letter in the name of the novelist upon whose book the film is based (John Boyne).

2. That novel was the winner of The Bisto Book of the Year Award for 2006 ~ it's a coveted prize in Ireland, from where Mr. Boyne hails. 'Children's Books Ireland' presents them to authors and illustrators born or residing in Ireland - the shortlist / nominees for the prize(s) are announced in March and the winners named in May annually. This year the honor was given to "The London Eye Mystery" by Siobhan Dowd, about brother/sister detectives in search of their missing cousin. I'd like to know another of the novels shortlisted for consideration of the Bisto Book of the Year in 2008, please.

3. The cast of the film is, according to all reports, well-chosen. The majority of the actors are not widely well-known, one notable exception being a fellow who plays Bruno's father, a commandant of the concentration camp and a high-ranking Nazi (thus their address being next door to a prison camp). David Thewlis was brilliant as a complicated, drifting 'philosopher' in 1993's Naked and succeeded again later, in a much different endeavor, as Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter series - his work in Pajamas stands to be equally watchable. He was born in 1963 in the tourist-y seaside town of Blackpool, Lancashire. We're going to the hugely popular Pleasure Beach there and cyber-visiting the elegant White Tower restaurant today. Kindly tell me one of the (delicious sounding) items on the Chef's Menu at the White Tower. Note: no beverages, please.

4. This would be what those interred in many concentration camps wore, o' course. And the "clothing" does look a bit like pajamas, yes? The cover of the hardcover release of the novel "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" was simple and no more than a few bars of gray meeting white, just like the pattern on the "pyjamas", and very representative of the mood the story presents. Seeing it got me searching out other book covers, and the artwork that adorns many is fascinating (and very often wisely relevant to the contents of the books to which they're attached). An interesting gallery of them from 2007 can be found on a New York Times Books blog 'My Favorite Book Covers' from Nov. 15, 2007. Tell me one of those book covers in that poll that received more than 100 votes towards being *the best* of 2007.

5. Some shameful self-promotion, it could be said (yet not so, as I'm "selling" nothing) ... but last spring I offered a long short story (11 parts) on my FunTrivia blog. MY story, upon reflection, has more than several wee parallels with this tale of the boys in war-time Germany. Two very different humans forging a most unlikely friendship together. Neighbors, but separated by many things. Tireless loyalty, albeit hard to explain sometimes. That almost any barrier or obstacle can be dealt with, given the right determination to do it with unchartered power. Good grief, there's even a short reference to pajamas in my blog story, too? A bit eerie! But, anyway, be so kind as to tell me the first sentence in any *installment* of "Patterns Papillon On The Wing", by a certain Gatsby722. Please know that you needn't read the whole text (I'd never ask it - it's a bit lengthy ). Just sort through those eleven first lines, OK?

This will close up at noon (or thereabouts) on Friday. Have a safe and happy week !

#445661 - Mon Nov 10 2008 11:44 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 6 will be closing in about 24 hours...

#445662 - Tue Nov 11 2008 02:30 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 11 - Tuesday

Today's round will revolve around photos and photography - a few quick questions just to make you look at some nice or interesting stuff .

1. From HERE pick your favourite chair/sofa.

2. From HERE choose any Two-Weekend Workshop which costs less than $770.

3. From HERE have your pick of a 'place that looks like it sounds' - Location Literalisms .

4. From HERE give me the name of an artist portrayed by Richard Avedon in his book.

5. In HERE, go to the Finland section and choose one of the featured homes.
(12 to pick from)

The round will be closed on Saturday, around noon FT time. Have some fun!

Edited by denni19 (Tue Nov 11 2008 02:31 PM)

#445663 - Tue Nov 11 2008 03:08 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a gentle reminder that Round 7 will be closing in 24 hours, I happily welcome all participants, plenty of time to send in your answers .

#445664 - Wed Nov 12 2008 12:43 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Rounds 3 and 4 are closed. Results will be out later today hopefully, I still have one more set of answers to go through.

#445665 - Wed Nov 12 2008 02:40 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 12 November round
Q1 A film beginning with A
Q2 A song title beginning with A
Q3 A book title beginning with A
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with A
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with A
This round finishes over the weekend!

#445666 - Wed Nov 12 2008 09:12 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Round 1 will close in 24 hours.

#445667 - Wed Nov 12 2008 12:32 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Nov 3 Round - Answers

There were 5 nifty players. And a warm hello goes to Deepakmr.

1) From this page, please give me any one of the 8 listed special Traffic Rules that apply to bicycles and mopeds in Holland.
For Ten Points: Cycling side by side (maximum 2 persons) is only allowed if other traffic has no hindrance, Cyclists are not allowed on motorways
For Five Points: Give way to all traffic approaching from the right hand side (3)
Not mentioned: Give way to all motorized traffic from the left hand side unless signposts state otherwise, Mopeds cyclists and pedestrians must give way to cars lorries and motorbikes unless signposts state otherwise, Lights are compulsory after dark, Children younger than 10 years have to be seated in a special child seat, To change direction clearly indicate with your arm.

2) One of the most well-known road cycle races is the Tour de France, which together with the Giro d’Italia and the Vuelta a Espana make up the Grand Tours. Please give me the name of a country that has been represented by any of the Grand Tours winners from 1991 to the current year.
For Ten Points: Switzerland, Spain, Russia, Germany, France
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Denmark, Italy, Kazakhstan, USA

3) From here, please give me any one point under What to look for in an exercise bike if you are thinking of buying one.
For Ten Points: Console feedback and ease of use, Braking system, Riding position adjustability
For Five Points: Exercise bike power supply (2)
Not mentioned: Flywheel, Recumbent and upright, Pedalling feel, Maximum workload, Bike programmes, Bike saddle comfort, Standard of construction, Warranty

4) To ease would-be cyclists into the world of cycling, there’s “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cycling”. From its table of contents, please give me the title of a chapter under Part 4: The Care and Feeding of a Bicycle or Part 5: Play Well with Others. I can send a list of the chapter titles to anyone who may be having problems using the online readers.
For Ten Points: Beyond the Basics: Learning to Fix Some Bigger Problems
For Five Points: Beyond a Three Hour Ride (2), Wanna Race? (2)
Not mentioned: Tool Time, Garage-Majal, No Air in There, The Chain Gang, Mechanical Basics, Go For a Ride?, Tandemonium, The Cycling Life

5) This article has ten steps on how to change a flat tire on your bicycle. Please give me any one of those steps.
For Ten Points: Test then ride!, Seat the tire snugly on rim, Put the new tube in your tire
For Five Points: Remove the tire from the rim (2)
Not mentioned: Remove wheel from bike, Separate the valve stem from the rim, Take the tube out of the tire, Replace tire on the rim, Inflate the tube, Put the wheel back on your bike

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Maninmidohio wins this round. Well done!

Other Results:
40 points: Deepakmr and Denni
35 points: Szabs and Gatsby

Round 4 results in a bit….

#445668 - Wed Nov 12 2008 01:10 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Nov 4 Round - Answers

Same group of 5 nifty players braved the COLD.

1) Please give me any word that uses all the letters in the word ‘Cold’. Letters can be used in any order and other letters may be added.
For Ten Points: Located, Docile, Occlude, Collard, Colatitude
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Clod, Colder, Scold, Cooled, Colander, Collide, Coiled…..

2) From here, please give me any of the symptoms listed in the table that is used to help distinguish a cold from the flu. 11 symptoms to choose from.
For Ten Points: Sneezing, Stuffy nose
For Five Points: Sore Throat (3)
Not mentioned: Fever, Aches, Chills, Tiredness, Sudden symptoms, Coughing, Chest discomfort, Headache

3) This page lists the ten most popular myths in science with the chicken soup saying coming in as number 7. Please give me any one of the myths, excluding myth number 7 if you please.
For Ten Points: There is no gravity in space, Water drains backwards in the Southern Hemisphere due to the Earth’s rotation, Adults don’t grow new brain cells
For Five Points: Yawning is “contagious” (2)
Not mentioned: Eating a poppy seed bagel mimics opium use, Chickens can live without a head, A penny dropped from the top of a tall building could kill a pedestrian, Hair and fingernails continue growing after death, A dog’s mouth is cleaner than a human’s

4) Please give me the name of an actor who appeared in ten or more episodes of the “Colditz” TV series.
For Ten Points: Richard Heffer, Robert Wagner, David McCallum
For Five Points: Christopher Neame (2)
Not mentioned: Bernard Hepton, Paul Chapman, Jack Hedley, Hans Meyer, Edward Hardwicke, Anthony Valentine, Peter Penry-Jones

5) In as few words as possible, please tell me how you would stay warm when the weather turns cold.
For Ten Points: Get out the longjohns, Take a hot bath, Tuck hands into armpits
For Five Points: Use warm socks/woollen socks (2)
Not mentioned: Have a hot drink, Light a fire, Stay in bed under the covers, Use scarves and gloves, Use a hot water bottle…

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Deepakmr and Gatsby are this round’s winners. Congratulations and one November point goes to each of you.

Other Results:
40 points: Maninmidohio and Szabs
35 points: Denni

Huge thanks to the players. Wishing everyone a super week.

#445669 - Thu Nov 13 2008 08:09 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 7 - Answers 6 Magnificent players enjoyed a tour of Madrid.

1. Would you please give me the name of one of Madrid’s city attractions.

10 Points to All : Teatro de la Zarzuela, Plaza de Cibeles, CaixaForum Madrid, Palacio de Liria, Puerta de Alcalá, Plaza de Torros de Las Ventas
Among Others: Palacio Mayor, Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, Las Descalzas Reales.

2. Madrid is considered one of the top European destinations concerning art museums. From the Prado museum website, go to “what to see” choose the 3 hours in the Museum, please give me the name of one of the artists and their painting that can be seen on this route.

10 Points to All : Zurbarán - Agnus Dei (The Lamb of God), Francisco de Goya y Lucientes - The Executions on Principe Pio Hill, Tiepolo, Giambattista – “The Immaculate Conception, Melendez, Luis Egidio – Piece of Salmon, A Lemon and Three Vessels, El Greco - Adoration of the Shepherds, Roger van der Weyden - Descent from the Cross.
Among Others: Soroya – Boys on the Beach, Rubens – Adoration of the Magi, Diego Velazquez – The Tapestry Weaver.

3. The Centro de Arte Reina Sofía is almost exclusively made up of Spanish contemporary art from the 20th century, with works by many of the most important artists such as Picasso, Miró, Dali, Tapies etc. From the Museums site , please click on Picasso, and give me the name of any of his paintings on that page.

For 10 Points : Still Life – Dead Birds, Les Demoiselles D'Avignon, La Negeuse, The Maids of Honour
For 10 Points : The Bread Flute (2)
Among Others: First Communion, Family of Acrobats, Woman in Blue, The Painter and the Model.

4. The Monastery of El Escorial is located on the outskirts of Madrid in the area known as the Valley of the Fallen. From here , please give me one of the sections of the building.

For 10 Points : The patio of the kings, Palace of Philip II, Library, Pantheon of the Princes
For 10 Points : Gardens of the Friars (2)
Among Others: The basilica, Hall of Battles, Pantheon of the Kings, The reliquaries.

5. Hidden Madrid is a book written by father and sun duo Peter and Mark Besas, the book is a practical walking guide for those interested in discovering the most curious off-beat and idiosyncratic aspects of Madrid. From the Hidden Madrid site , go to more about the book, go to the paragraph that starts with Hidden Madrid is… please give me a seven or more letter word from that first paragraph.

For 10 Points : Himself, Picturesque, Practical.
For 10 Points : Turntable
Among Others:: Explore, Revealing, Fascinating, Cloistered, Fountain, Mythological.

Scores
With a Perfect score of 50 Points : Denni19
With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl, Deepakmr, Gatsby722, Maninmidohio
With 35 points: Mugaboo
Congratulations are in order to Denni19 , who picks up one point in November . A warm welcome to the rounds to Deepakmr and thank you all for playing, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, wherever you are .

#445670 - Thu Nov 13 2008 11:29 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 10 will be closing in 24 hours, it seems ...

#445671 - Thu Nov 13 2008 12:03 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Answers Round 1 - 7 played

1. Name one of the Seven Wonders of Ukraine.
For 10 points: Sofiyivsky Park; Kiev Pechersk Lavra; Kamianets-Podilskyi Historical Complex; Khotyn Fortress
For 5 points: Saint Sophia Cathedral [3]
Not mentioned: Khortytsia; Chersonesos

2. Name any book that was first published two hundred years ago in 1808.
For 10 points: "Letters from a Late Eminent Prelate to One of His Friends" by William Warbuton and Richard Hurd; "Margiana" by Henrietta Sykes; "The Cottagers of Glenburnie" by Elizabeth Hamilton; "The Husband and Wife" by Elizabeth Thomas; "The Life of George Washington with Curious Anecdotes Equally Honorable to Himself and Exemplary to his Young Countrymen" by M.L. Weems
For 5 points: "The Northern Gallery" by Francis Lathom [2]
Not mentioned include: "Characters at Brighton" by Anne Trelawney; "Tankerville Family" by Sarah Green

3. Please give me the name of one of the winning photographers in the "Adult Awards" section, of The Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition 2008.
For 10 points: David Maitland; Brian Skerry
For 5 points: Andy Biggs [2]; Cece Fabbro [3]
Not mentioned: Antoni Kasprzak; Miguel Lasa; Cyril Ruoso; Jamie McGregor Smith; Stefano Unterthiner; Carlos Virgili; Yongkang Zhu

4. Name one of the ravens currently in residence at the Tower of London.
For 10 points: Erin; Gwylum; Hugine; Marley; Merlin; Munin; Odin
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: A couple of extras have been added since I asked this, but Baldrick and Thor would have done and I would allowed Gundulf and any other who has gone in the last couple of years, as many websites are a bit out of date although technically I should only have allowed nine answers.

5. From here, please tell me the name of one of the top ten castles and forts in the Algarve.
For 10 points: Castro Marim; Fortaleza Cacelha Velha; Loulé
For 5 points: Alcoutim [2]; Paderne [2]
Not mentioned: Aljezur; Fortaleza de Sagres; Salir; Silves; Tavira

Castro Marim was the only one I saw of those (hired a bike to get to it), I enjoyed my trip, and didn't see any rain all week.

Scores:

50 points: Deepakmr
45 points: Gatsby722
40 points: Denni19; Maninmidohio
35 points: Brandz_mygirl;Ecnalubma; Szabs

Always nice to see newbies coming away with the round's point, well played Deepakmr.

#445672 - Thu Nov 13 2008 04:47 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 6 Results

6 players entered this round…

1. Please go to the Easter Festival's website and give me the name of a composer whose work will be featured in this three-concert series.

For 10 points: Johannes Brahms, Wolfgang A. Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Giuseppe Verdi

For 5 points: Richard Strauss (2)

Not mentioned: Igor Stravinsky, Kurt Weill

2. Please tell me the common name of a species of baleen whale.

For 10 points: Blue Whale, Humpback Whale, Common Minke Whale, Sei Whale

For 5 points: Fin Whale (2)

Not mentioned: Bowhead Whale, North Pacific Right Whale, Bryde's Whale, Eden's Whale, and others

3. Please visit the Spode Museum's 'Pattern Histories' section, and select a pattern whose name begins with the letter ‘t.’

For 10 points: Trophies, Trapnell Sprays, Thelma, Trade Winds

For 5 points: The Trusty Servant (2)

Not mentioned: Thomas Goode, Tittensor Flower Centres, Toby Jugs, Toilet Wares, and others

4. Please take a look at the text of the poem and choose a word that ends any line - but I only want words that are five or more letters long.

For 10 points: Guitar, Stood, Grows, Quince

For 5 points: Spoon (2)

Not mentioned: Money, Above, Tarried, Shilling

5. Please look at how the House of Representatives voted, and pick a state that supported Adams.

For 10 points: Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Kentucky

For 5 points: Massachusetts (2)

Not Mentioned: Maine, New York, Rhode Island, Maryland, and others

Scores:

With 50 points: deepakmr
With 45 points: brandz_mygirl, szabs
With 40 points: maninmidohio, denni19
With 30 points: Gatsby722

Congratulations to deepakmr for adding a November trivia point to the several he's already won!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#445673 - Fri Nov 14 2008 08:15 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 14

When I was 10 years old, my tranquil life was interrupted by the moving of the family from the surroundings I had grown comfortable with in the suburbs of Boston to our new home outside of Buffalo, NY. As I mentioned earlier, after several knitting mills that employed my father closed he found work in Buffalo and the family followed him. We moved to a very rural area south of Buffalo. This was a very different place than the industrial suburb I was used to. The town we moved to was Hamburg, NY. So this will be the Hamburg Round.

1. I soon learned that one of the main attractions of Hamburg, NY, is the Erie County Fair and Exposition. This is an annual festival that started out celebrating the agricultural wealth of Erie County in western New York State. It is the second longest running county fair in the nation and the third largest. The fair even makes the claim (although disputed) that the modern hamburger was invented there. Over the years it has gotten more commercial and less agriculturally oriented but they still have the Future Farmers of America animal judging and the pie baking contests. The fair in recent years has rebranded itself as “America’s Fair” and since 1995 has had a different theme each year. The Wikipedia article on the fair lists these themes. Please tell me one of the Erie County Fair themes from 2000 to the present.

2. The town of Hamburg, NY was named after Hamburg, Germany in a ploy to attract German settlers to western New York. Hamburg, Germany is Germany’s second largest city and largest port. Hamburg has a wealth of history going back to Charlemagne’s time. It is also noted as being the place where the Beatles did a lot of their performing before they became famous. In 1994, Dr. Mark A. Schneegurt made a pilgrimage to Hamburg and visited a lot of the sites that the Beatles were at in their formative years. He has created a web site that details some of these places. From this site please tell me one of these places famous for its early association with the Beatles. (For the purposes of this quiz we will only count those places that have a dash after their name on Dr. Mark’s web page).

3. As Germany’s chief port, Hamburg was also the embarkation point for most German emigration. Many ships left Germany full of people hoping to find a new life in other parts of the world. A compilation by the Family History Library of all passenger lists of ships leaving Hamburg in 1872 is available on their web site. This is an invaluable tool in tracking the geneology of individuals who left Germany in that year. Go to their site here and tell me the first name of any passenger with the last name of either Hamburg or Hamburger.

4. Whimpy is a character that was created in the Thimble Theater comic strip that first appeared in 1919. This is the strip from which Popeye the Sailor evolved into the main character. The strip was later renamed in his honor. J. Wellington Whimpy (Whimpy) is known for his love of hamburgers and his tightness with a buck. He would often try to con others to buy him his favorite snack. Whimpy is one of the earliest cartoon characters to have a catch phrase all of his own. He is famous for saying, “I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.” Please tell me the name of another character with a two word name that first appeared in the Thimble Theater/Popeye comic strip (“the” will be considered a word and Swee’Pea will be considered as one word).

5. John Hamburg is one of the new wunderkind of Hollywood pictures. He has written/directed/produced a string of comedy blockbusters since having his first short film premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in 1996. Given his high profile, I find it amazing that there is not a lot about him available on the web, including the lack of a Wikipedia article. Please visit the Imdb site on John Hamburg and tell me one of the projects he is given writing credit for whether it be TV episode or film.

The Hamburg Round will close noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, November 19. Have a great weekend.

#445674 - Fri Nov 14 2008 09:59 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 13 - Thursday (a bit belated...)

1. Woodbury soap has the distinction of being the first product advertised using sex appeal. The ad appeared in the Ladies' Home Journal in 1911 and introduced the soap's slogan "skin you love to touch." The Woodbury Soap Company was taken over by Jergens in the early twentieth century. Take a look at the 'Breakthroughs' section of the Jergens website, and find the section describing Jergens' four Naturals daily moisturizers. Please select one of the twelve 'natural' ingredients within these moisturizers.

2. Lew Alcindor, better known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, was the only three time winner of the National Collegiate Association of America's Most Outstanding Player Award. He won the award in all three seasons he played for the UCLA Bruins (1967, 1968, and 1969); freshmen were not eligible to play. Please pick another male player who won the NCAA Most Outstanding Player Award in the 1960s, and give me either the player's name or school.

3. The origin of the term "blockbuster" - as applied to movies - is debated, but a likely explanation comes from World War II military slang for a bomb powerful enough to demolish an entire city block of buildings. It's now used to describe anything (movies, plays, books, etc.) that makes a large impact. In that spirit, let's head over to imdb.com and glance at their All-Time Worldwide Box Office List. Please choose a movie that is one of the top fifteen highest-earning films worldwide.

4. Two-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank was once fined $163 by a New Zealand court for failing to declare two pieces of fruit when entering the country. Swank's two Academy Awards came from her starring roles in Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby. However, prior to Boys Don't Cry, her largest role was that of Carly Reynolds, a single mother on the original "Beverly Hills, 90210." Therefore, please tell me the name of one of the main characters (i.e., one who has appeared in 100 or more episodes of the show) of "Beverly Hills, 90210."

5. In the history of the US Space Program, US astronauts have landed on the moon a total of six times, with twelve of these astronauts participating in walking on the surface of the moon. All six of these missions were members of the Apollo program (11, 12, 14, 15, 16, and 17). Please pick one of the lunar sites where these six missions landed.

This round will close on Tuesday, November 18th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002