#445675 - Fri Nov 14 2008 12:00 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 10 - Monday
"The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas"
Eight energetic players !

1. To begin, please tell me a subcamp that existed in the real (not to mention horrific) Auschwitz, OK? But limit your answers to those that begin with a letter in the name of the novelist upon whose book the film is based (John Boyne).

For 10 Points:
Babice, Bierun, Blachownia Slaska, Budy, Harmense (Harmeze near Oswiecim), Janinagrube, Jawiszowice, Neustadt (in Prudnik)

Some others were Jaworzno, Hajduki, Bobrek, Brno, Bruntal and Buna.

2. I'd like to know another of the novels shortlisted for consideration of the Bisto Book of the Year in 2008, please.

For 10 Points:
"The Alchemyst" by Michael Scott, "The Thing With Finn" by Tom Kelly, "Wilderness" by Roddy Doyle
For 5 Points:
"The Last of the High Kings" by Kate Thompson (5)

"The Black Book of Secrets" by F.E. Higgins, "Discover Art" by Jessica O'Donnell, "Gaiscioch na Beilte Uaine le Caitriona Nic Sheain" agus Andrew Whitson, "Titanic 2020" by Colin Bateman -and- "The Way Back Home" by Oliver Jeffers were shortlisted as well.

3. Kindly tell me one of the (delicious sounding) items on the Chef's Menu at the White Tower.

For 10 Points:
Peach Melba, Salmon filled filo parcels served with smoked saffron sauce, Vegetable tagliatelle with fresh Parmesan cheese
For 5 Points:
Beef Goulash with paprika served with savoury rice (3), Home made cream of pumpkin soup with crispy croutons (2)

The other selections? Pan fried strips of beef coated in blackened Cajun spices and served with a yoghurt and cucumber dip; Whole roasted trout filled with herb and lemon butter; Chicken with Garstang cheese, pan fried chicken supreme filled with Garstang blue cheese and served with a smoked bacon sauce; Treacle sponge with custard and Brandy snap basket filled with vanilla cream and topped with mixed berries. Yum.

4. Tell me one of those book covers (from the NYT Books blog) in that poll that received more than 100 votes towards being *the best* of 2007.

For 10 Points:
"The Chess Machine" - Robert Lohr, author; "The Cigarette Century" - Allan M. Brandt, author; "The Collected Poems 1956-1998" - Zbigniew Herbert, author; "Small Crimes in An Age of Abundance" - Matthew Kneale, author; "Words Without Borders" - various authors
For 5 Points:
"The Yiddish Policemans Union" - Michael Chabon, author (3)

Other noteworthy/popular covers were on 'One Perfect Day', 'One Red Paperclip', 'After Dark', 'Brave New World' -and- 'The Worst Years of Your Life'.

5. But, anyway, be so kind as to tell me the first sentence in any *installment* of "Patterns Papillon On The Wing", by a certain Gatsby722.

For 10 Points:
Three Tuesdays after our oven ended up entirely spotless (and already was showing signs of needing a bit more elbow grease), my Mother woke me up especially early; Needless to say, that became one of the longest mornings I had remembered enduring in my short life; At dinner that night the conversation flowed pretty much the same as it always did; The next few weeks were powerfully awkward in my world, I remember that clearly; Summer found the middle of itself that year in ways that were both semi-predictable and (or so it seemed at the time) boringly quiet as it went; How is it, I still wonder, that such an event as that one -- spent in a frightening basement with bizarre unexplainable thoughts and events pounding off of one another like waterfalls in the rivers of the human heart -- still rattles me as the very saddest day I've yet to experience?
For 5 Points:
That August still, all these years later, is remembered for its introduction of my new "friend" that Thunderhack summer: 'Adam Allergy' (2)

The openings of the other four installments: The first time I heard George Thunderhack's name was memorable enough, as I recall it; I said (rather politely, all things considered) 'Good Night' to George, leaving him there staring in a somewhat trancelike way at his hands; It was inevitable; That next hour was all kinds of mixed up, now that I try to remember it.

The Results!

50 Points! .... maninmidohio ~ well done!
45 Points! .... deepakmr, deputygary
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, vogon
35 Points! .... denni19, Mugaboo, szabs

Terrific to see more people joining in -- and everybody did a great job, too! A congratulatory Trivia Point for the month goes to maninmidohio for an outstanding perfect score! I totally enjoyed reading through your answers (still trying to figure out why that one Irish book was so popular, though ). Thanks, all, for playing!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sat Jun 27 2009 10:38 AM)

#445676 - Sat Nov 15 2008 04:55 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 15 - - Saturday 15th November

1. Name a Finnish Ambassador to any country begining with the letter "A".
2. In 1522, the ship Victoria arrived back in Seville becoming the first vessel to successfully circumnavigate the world. Please name one of the people who completed the voyage.
3. From the Ibrahim Index of African Governance, please tell me one of the top ten best run nations in sub-Saharan Africa.
4. Bottom of the Ibrahim list is Somalia, please give me a language used in that country.
5. My race last week started in the town of Ayamonte, please give me the name of a Resturant in Ayamonte (Spain).

The round closed at noon Thursday (FT time), if you need help I'll give you a link or two.

#445677 - Sat Nov 15 2008 12:15 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 11 is now closed and I'll come up with the results later today.

#445678 - Sat Nov 15 2008 05:10 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 11

9 players for this round –- Unbelievably awesome ! Thank you very much all!

1. From HERE pick your favourite chair/sofa.

10 points: The Big Man’s Chair, Kitchen Chair, Seat Mountain, Free Range Sectional, The Sofa Graveyard

5 points: Lobby [2], Have a seat [2]

Not mentioned: State to State, Between Frames, Danger, Institutionalized, Beverly Hillbillies, The Hot Seat, Wheelie, Tipping, Let’s Go Bowlin’ Dude, Lounge Life, One Chair, Eject, Interior Ivy

2. From HERE choose any Two-Weekend Workshop which costs less than $770.

10 points: Photography as Metaphor, On Location Fashion Shoot: Chinatown and Dumbo, Photographing the Weird and Wonderful, Street Photography: The Poetic Witness, Publishing a Photography Book

5 points: Advanced Studio Lighting [4]

Not mentioned: Defining the Character in Portraiture, Intimate Portrait

3. From HERE have your pick of a 'place that looks like it sounds' - Location Literalisms

10 points: Dead Sea, Ox-Ford, Hungary, Picture Canyon

5 points: Brussels[3], Livermore, CA [2]

Not mentioned: Easter Island, New Jersey Freezes Over, New Z-Land, Silver Spring, Bride of the Sea (Venice), Current Istanbul, St. Elmo, Alabama, Golden Gate Bridge, Mount St. Helen, Yellowstone, McIntosh, Sand iego

4. From HERE give me the name of an artist portrayed by Richard Avedon in his book.

10 points: Johnny Winter, George Harrison, Louise Nevelson, Edward Albee, Frank Zappa, Andy Warhol, Ringo Starr

5 points: Paul McCartney [2]

Not mentioned: Twiggy, Abbie Hoffman, Ed Sanders, Tuli Kupferberg, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan and a few more others

5. In HERE, go to the Finland section and choose one of the featured homes.

10 points: Ilomantsi, Väinö; Palokki, Markku; Tohmajärvi, Ulla; Monni, Inka; Joensuu, Kati; Palokki, Eisa; Möhköh, Mirja

5 points: Varistaipale, Terttu [2]

Not mentioned: Varistaipale, Riitta; Palokki, Seppo; Ilomantsi, Inga; Palokki, Iekku

The RESULTS for Round 11 are:

With 45 points: JaneMarple, Szabs and Gatsby – Triple round of applause!

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl, Vogon, Deepakmr and Mugaboo

With 35 points: Deputygary and Maninmidohio

Congratulations to our winning trio - Jane, Szabs and Gatsby - for finishing first in a very tight competition.
Let’s award them with a well deserved November point each !

#445679 - Sun Nov 16 2008 07:20 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 12 closes later today.

#445680 - Sun Nov 16 2008 12:18 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 12 November answers
Q1 A film beginning with A
FOR TEN POINTS:
About Schmidt (2002), Artificial Intelligence: AI, Algiers (1938), Argentine Nights (1940), A League of Their Own, Angel River (1986), Apocalypse Now, Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid, An Awfully Big Adventure,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Alice in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll) and more

Q2 A song title beginning with A
FOR TEN POINTS:
Astral Weeks - Van Morrison, Alice Blue Gown, 'Anarchy For Sale' - The Dead Kennedys, Among Whispering Walls by Raventhrone, All Together Now, "Are You Ready to Rock" by Wizzard, Abracadabra (Steve Miller), ‘Again’ – Alice in Chains, ”All My Life” (DJ Harry, Album “Collision”) ,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
“Angels” (Robbie Williams) and more

Q3 A book title beginning with A
FOR TEN POINTS:
Anne of Geierstein - Sir Walter Scott, Anthony Adverse (Hervey Allen), "Ankle Deep" - Angela Thirkell, Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, "At First Sight" by Walter de la Mare, Animal Farm, And Then There Were None’ – Agatha Christie, ”Absolute Friends” by John le Carre,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
A is for Alibi (Sue Grafton) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with A
FOR TEN POINTS:
Anaconda, Adenoids, Agiotage, anchored, Accustom, abnormal, Abdicate, Attacker,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Alphabet and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with A
FOR TEN POINTS:
Almond Joy (candy bar), Arugula, Agrodolce (Italian sweet 'n sour sauce), Aioli (sauce made of garlic, olive oil &egg),Asparagus, Artichokes, Abalone, Apple cake, Apple pie,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Apricots and more

SCORES – Nine outstanding players

brandz_mygirl – 50
Deepakmr – 50
Denni - 50
deputygary - 50
Gatsby – 50
Lizard_Wizard – 50
maninmidohio - 50
Mugaboo – 50
szabs - 50

So a November point to each and every player!

#445681 - Mon Nov 17 2008 10:07 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 13 will be closing in just under 26 hours...

#445682 - Tue Nov 18 2008 12:03 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 13 Results

7 players entered this round…

1. Please select one of the twelve 'natural' ingredients within these moisturizers.

For 10 points: Chamomile Extract, Yogurt Extract, Jojoba Oil, Grapeseed Oil

For 5 points: Cactus Extract (3)

Not mentioned: Agave Extract, Blueberry Extract, Pomegranate Extract, and others

2. Please pick another male player who won the NCAA Most Outstanding Player Award in the 1960s, and give me either the player's name or school.

For 10 points: Jerry Chambers (1966 - Utah), Princeton (1965 - Bill Bradley), Bill Bradley (1965 - Princeton), Duke (1963 - Art Heyman), Utah (1966 - Jerry Chambers)

For 5 points: Jerry Lucas (1960,1961 - Ohio State) – (2)

Not mentioned: Ohio State (1960,1961 - Jerry Lucas), Paul Hogue/Cincinnati (1962), Art Heyman (1963 - Duke), Walt Hazzard/UCLA (1964)

3. Please choose a movie that is one of the top fifteen highest-earning films worldwide.

For 10 points: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999); Spider-Man 3 (2007); The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003); Jurassic Park (1993); Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

For 5 points: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) – (2)

Not mentioned: Titanic (1997); Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006); The Dark Knight (2008); and others

4. Therefore, please tell me the name of one of the main characters (i.e., one who has appeared in 100 or more episodes of the show) of "Beverly Hills, 90210."

For 10 points: Cindy Walsh, Brandon Walsh, David Silver, Steve Sanders, Nat Bussichio

For 5 points: Andrea Zuckerman (2)

Not mentioned: Kelly Taylor, Donna Martin, Dylan McKay, Jim Walsh, Valerie Malone, Brenda Walsh

5. Please pick one of the lunar sites where these six missions landed.

For 10 points: Fra Mauro (Apollo 14), Oceanus Procellarum (Apollo 12)

For 5 points: Hadley Rille/Palus Putredinus (Apollo 15) – (3), Descartes (Apollo 16) – (2)

Not Mentioned: Mare Tranquilitatis (Apollo 11), Taurus-Littrow (Apollo 17)

Scores:

With 45 points: maninmidohio, szabs
With 40 points: Gatsby722, denni19, deepakmr
With 35 points: Mugaboo, brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to maninmidohio and szabs for winning one November trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Edited by nakarinna (Tue Nov 18 2008 12:03 PM)

#445683 - Tue Nov 18 2008 03:58 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday Nov 17 – quiz

Just Some of This and That (apologies for being so late with this post)

1) Marshmallows are soft, gooey, very sweet, comes in different flavours and I love eating them. Two things always come to my mind when I think about marshmallows: campfires and the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man from “Ghostbusters”. Ignoring Mr. Marshmallow Man, campfires in turn make me think about campfire songs. (I have never gone camping before and don’t know how many campers actually sing campfire songs.) From here, under “Rounds and Multi-Part Songs”, please give me the title of a song that begins with any of the letters in CAMPFIRE.

2) Please give me the name of any TV series that Christopher Lloyd appeared in. Kindly restrict your answer to a series that ran for more than one season (he needs to appear only once though). An uncredited appearance is counted as an appearance for this question.

3) The BBC produced a documentary in 2006 called “The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive”. In it, Stephen Fry (one of my favourite celebrities) talked openly about his own experience with manic depression and also interviewed others who share the same condition. Manic depression is also known as bipolar disorder and its most familiar symptom is that of mood swings, which can be extreme. From here, please give me either a myth –or- a fact (NOT both) about bipolar disorder. There are six myths, therefore six facts, thus 12 possible answers to choose from. If you choose to give a fact, please only give me the first sentence.

4) A mushroom is the fleshy body of the fruit of a fungus and there are over 38,000 varieties, including those that are poisonous. From here, please give me the name (in full) of a mushroom producing state in the U.S.

5) Mickey Mouse turns 80! Searching for some ‘gloom-less’ and ‘doom-less’ news, this ‘top entertainment story’ caught my eye. Mickey was the brainchild of Walt Disney who then went on to create Disneyland and the Walt Disney empire. Please give me a name of any of the following relations of Walt Disney: his parents, his siblings, his children, his children's spouses.

Seeing as how this post is so late, this round will close on Sunday 23 Nov at midnight FT time. Wishing one and all a pleasant day.

(Edited to correct the date of this round and to fine-tune the phrasing of Q5)

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Wed Nov 19 2008 02:33 AM)

#445684 - Tue Nov 18 2008 04:19 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 18 - Tuesday

A few days ago I was discussing the movie "Snow Cake" with a friend (and we both agreed it's an excellent movie and the main characters are very 'believable') and after that I had to watch it again . It is still on my mind so let's start from there...

The tagline of the 2006 movie "Snow Cake" is 'Sometimes stopping is the most important part of the journey...'. The one who stops is Alex Hughes, an ex-convict, on a road trip to see an old friend. Along the way, he meets Vivienne, an eccentric girl, and gives her a ride. Their car is involved in a serious accident and Vivienne dies. Alex decides to go speak with the girl's mother and upon meeting her finds out that Linda (the mother) is a highly functional autistic woman not very easy to get along with.

I won't spoil it for you, maybe you're curious to see it...

Linda is played by Sigourney Weaver (and I thought her acting was awesome) and Alex is played by Alan Rickman, an actor I'm totally in love with.

1. Give me any other named character in "Snow Cake". (apart from the three already mentioned above)

2. Alan Rickman was chosen by Empire Magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history.
I want you to pick an actor/actress who appears at any position between 70 and 85 on that list.
To make sure everybody looks at the same stuff, Here's where you should check.

3. "Snow Cake" was shot in 27 days in Wawa, Ontario, a community in Northern Ontario, Canada which is well known for its 28-foot-tall metal statue of a Canada goose welcoming visitors at the entrance of town.
Speaking of metal...and animals...Please visit Jonathan Knight's website and make your pick from his "Birds and Animals" gallery.

4. There are many autistic fictional characters, some very famous like Raymond Babbitt ("Rainman") or Eric Gibb in "The Boy who Could Fly" and even Miss Ripley from "Alien" exhibited a few good autistic traits.
In his book "The Genesis Of Artistic Creativity: Asperger's Syndrome And The Arts", professor Michael Fitzgerald talks about real people, examining the social behaviour, language, humour, and obsessive interests and routines that accompanied creative genius in the past four centuries, trying to explain the association between creativity and autism spectrum disorders.
Give me the name of a chapter in Professor Fitzgerald's book. [Amazon.com might be of great help ]

5. "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow" - any day now our first snow will show up (if you believe the weathercast). I'm looking forward to it because I always enjoyed watching the first snowflakes dancing in the air.
If you need it, here's a Guide to Snowflakes
Please tell me a type of snowflake listed on that page

This Round will be closed on Saturday, at noon Fun Trivia time. 'til then...

Have a great week everybody!

#445685 - Tue Nov 18 2008 06:31 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
In 18 hours, Round 14, the Hamburg Round, will close. Plenty of time to get in your entry.

#445686 - Wed Nov 19 2008 12:07 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 ~ Wednesday

Yay. I found my handy dandy *Trivial Pursuit* game several days ago! Accordingly, I think we ought to play ....

1. Arts & Entertainment is up first today, the qestion being: "What southern US city was the TV series 'Matlock' set in"? On a personal note, let me say that I like Andy Griffith plenty - and that I thought his old self-titled TV series had moments that define what "classic" means. But I could hardly sit through even one episode of "Matlock" (which was set in Atlanta, Georgia, by the way). The *country bumpkin* bit was too much of it, the never-lose-a-case attorney schtick made any real suspense a non-issue. Just not my cup o' tea. They had fun with Mr. Matlock on "Saturday Night Live", though. Phil Hartman over there did a character dubbed The Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, based on our guitar-pickin' barrister. Kindly tell me another recurring character perfomed by Phil Hartman during his SNL tenure, OK?

2. The next card reveals People & Places and asks "What New York City institution changed its name to The International Wildlife Conservation Park"? That would be the world-famous Bronx Zoo, the largest metropolitan zoo in the USA and one that has been open since 1899. These days the park houses over 4,000 animals (many of which are endangered species) and gets app. 2,000,000 visitors annually. Incidentally, despite the somewhat lofty-sounding name change for the attraction? Everybody still calls it The Bronx Zoo (and likely always will). The zoo (or "Park", if you'd prefer) has a celebrated NYC eatery in it as well. New York Daily News ran a list called "Take In Spring at the New York's Best Rooftop Bars and Outdoor Cafes" in the Food/Dining section on April 25, 2008, which included The Dancing Crane at the Bronx Zoo. Please pick any other establishment named in that list.

3. Now we have the dreaded (for me, anyway) Science & Nature card -- and it requests "What science degree did Margaret Thatcher earn at Oxford?" Those more informed as to the biographies of world leaders might have known this one straightaway ... but I assuredly hadn't a clue that she had earned her degree in Chemistry!? Let's put Maggie in the Science curriculum at Oxford now, though, figuratively speaking. Tell me one of the General Scheme of Lectures for Chemistry at Oxford in 2008-2009, First Year Inorganic Chemistry. Thank you!

4. The *Wild Card* category lands next - "What last name did Jerry Falwell call talk show host/comedienne Ellen Degeneres when she came out of the closet?" Ahem. Yes, I know that one should not speak ill of the dead - and I will avoid being too ugly when referencing the late Mr. Falwell, but it sems to me that a true "man of God" would have had a better spirit than to publicly label a celebrity "Ellen DeGenerate" simply because he has a personal/theological problem with her lifestyle. Voicing his disapproval would have been expected. Name calling was both juvenile and especially ineffective. Anyway, Ellen has won Emmys, hosted the Oscars and was named "funniest person in America" in the early 1980s. That her new talk show has been a runaway hit for 6 season is just a bonus. I'd like to know a guest star (no regular crew, announcers, etc.) that visited "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on the FIRST episode in any of its six seasons.

5. Sports & Leisure wraps it up, and asks "What baseballer claimed that the only color of sweater he didn't own was "navy brown"? It's hard to say whether Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra (b. 1925) will be best remembered for his [impressive] baseball career or for his *Yogiisms*, those absurd misuses of the language that he so enjoyed sharing ("Ninety percent of this game is half mental" or "It's like déjà vu all over again" or "Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours" ... and so forth). Berra was a fifteen-time All-Star, and won his league's Most Valuable Player award three times, in 1951, 1954 and 1955 and has, of course, been firmly ensconced in the Baseball Hall of Fame. To finish up, please tell me a team that had a player win the MLB (Major League Baseball) MVP Award between 1950-1959, inclusively. A TEAM whose player won it, not the player himself.

This will close up Sunday, early afternoon, OK? See you then.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Nov 19 2008 06:39 AM)

#445687 - Wed Nov 19 2008 01:30 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 14 – The Hamburg Round

We had seven super solvers for our Hamburg Round. Thanks to all for playing.

1. Please tell me one of the Erie County Fair themes from 2000 to the present.

For 10 Points
- Summer Fun Headquarters-America's Fair. Keeping The Dream Alive, The magic continues, Fairy Tales Can Come True, Theres A Party Goin' On, A Slice of America, and Celebrate The Spirit of America. Ten points all – Well Done!
Not Chosen
- It's Showtime and It's A Musical Af-Fair

2. From Dr. Mark’s site here please tell me one of the places in Hamburg famous for its early association with the Beatles.

For 10 Points
– Ernst Merck Halle, Akustik Studio, and Friedrich Ebert Halle
For 5 Points - Indra Club (2) and Bambi Kino (2)
Not Chosen - Top Ten Club, Kaiserkeller, Star Club, and Royal Festival Hall

3. Go to the Family History Library site here and tell me the first name of any passenger with the last name of either Hamburg or Hamburger.

For 10 Points
– Berline, Emil, Hedwig, Moritz, and Ricks
For 5 Points - Ida (2)
Not Chosen – Hel, Johann, Mennora, and Simon

4. Please tell me the name of another character with a two word name that first appeared in the Thimble Theater/Popeye comic strip.

For 10 Points
- Olive Oyl, Cole Oyl, and Jack Snork
For 5 Points - Castor Oyl (2) and Bill Barnacle (2)
Not Chosen - Nana Oyl, Ham Gravy, Rough House, King Blozo, and Poopdeck Pappy

5. Please visit the Imdb site on John Hamburg and tell me one of the projects he is given writing credit for whether it be TV episode or film.

For 10 Points
– Meet the Fockers, Zoolander, Meet the Parents, and Safe Men
For 5 Points - Along Came Polly (3)
Not Chosen - The Troubleshooter; I Love You, Man ; "Welcome to the Captain" - The Letter ; "Welcome to the Captain" – Pilot; The Monster; and Tick

The Results:
With 50 Points: deputygary
With 45 Points: brandz_mygirl and szabs
With 40 Points: Gatsby722 and deepakmr
With 35 points: denni19
With 30 points: Mugaboo

Congratulations to deputygary for a perfect round and being the sole winner. A coveted November Trivia Point is a truly fitting reward. Thanks to all for playing.

#445688 - Thu Nov 20 2008 12:13 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 15 - 7 played

1. Name a Finnish Ambassador to any country begining with the letter "A".
For 10 points: Kirsti Kauppi; Maija Lähteenmäki; Glen Lindholm
For 5 points: Kaija Ilander [2]; Antti Koistinen [2]
Not mentioned: Terhi Hakala; Ritva Jolkkonen; Markku Kauppinen; Alpo Rusi

2. In 1522, the ship Victoria arrived back in Seville becoming the first vessel to successfully circumnavigate the world. Please name one of the people who completed the voyage.
For 10 points: Francisco Albo; Juan Sebastián Elcano; Diego Gallego; Martino de Judicibus; Antonio Rodriguez; Miguel Sanchez; Juan de Zuvileta
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Nicholas the Greek; Antonio Pigafetta; Miguel de Rodas

3. From the Ibrahim Index of African Governance, please tell me one of the top ten best run nations in sub-Saharan Africa.
For 10 points: Mauritius; South Africa
For 5 points: Ghana [2]; Gabon [3]
Not mentioned: Seychelles; Cape Verde; Botswana; Namibia; São Tomé & Principe; Senegal

4. Bottom of the Ibrahim list is Somalia, please give me a language used in that country.
For 10 points: English; Italian; Tunni
For 5 points: Kibajuni [2]; Somali [2]
Not mentioned: Arabic; Af-Maay; Dabarre; Chimwiini; Jiiddu

5. Please give me the name of a Resturant in Ayamonte (Spain).
For 10 points: Arenas Guerrero; Casa Luciano; Hotel Riu Atlantico; La Gaviota; La Lota; Mesón El Choco
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Parador de Ayamonte; Pino Grande; Vitola

Scores:

45 points: Gatsby722; Maninmidohio
40 points: Deepakmr; Denni19; Deputygary; Szabs
35 points: Brandz_mygirl

A pair of points are making their way to Ohio as you read - well done Gatsby722 and Maninmidohio.

#445689 - Fri Nov 21 2008 08:34 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 21

Soon after we moved to Hamburg, NY, there was an addition to the family. My brother Mark was born when I was 12 and my sister was 9. This was quite a gap, but mother had automatic baby sitters whenever there was a need. He got spoiled quite rottenly, but it is amazing that he grew up into quite an upstanding citizen. A round dedicated to just Mark was a bit too unfocused for me, so in my brother’s honor we will make this the Mark Steven Round incorporating both his first and middle name.

1. Mark Steven Johnson in the 90s wrote the screenplays for the hugely successful Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men. In the last few years he has turned to writing/directing features based on comic book heroes first with Daredevil and more recently with Ghost Rider. I find the earlier works more entertaining. Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men brought together a group of truly veteran actors. Please tell me an actor in either of these movies who has a listed IMDB acting credit from before 1970.

2. Mark Steven Kirk has represented the 10th District of Illinois in the United States House of Representatives since 2001. This is a very affluent district located north of Chicago along the lake front. He has a seat on the powerful House Appropriations Committee. From the congressman’s congressional web site please tell me a “Congressman Kirk in the News” story from September 2008 that they thought worthy of including (let’s not include the horse trailer stories even though it must be an important issue to his constituency).

3. Mark Steven Greenfield is a contemporary African-American artist who incorporates old images of people in blackface into his paintings and sculptures. You can see some of his work on his website. Please look at his resume and tell me a venue where he has had a solo exhibition. (If you have trouble navigating on his site, click on the arrow like icon under his name.)

4. Mark Steven Brocke is a Christian fingerstyle guitarist. He seems to have a passion for the hand-made Petros guitars and you can read his tribute to them on his website. You can also download MP3 samples of songs from his CD “Completed.” Tell me the name of one of these songs.

5. Mark Steven Popham is a graphic artist and web designer who runs Markostimpy Productions. His art work has a very out of this world look. Take a look at the gallery on his website and tell me the name of one of his single word (non-hyphenated) titled works.

I think my brother would appreciate the eclectic mix that has come together as the Mark Steven Round. The round will close noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, November 26. Results may be delayed as I travel back to suburban Buffalo for the Thanksgiving holiday, but they will be up by Monday, December 1. Have a great weekend and a great Thanksgiving if it is one of your traditions.

#445690 - Fri Nov 21 2008 09:07 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 20 - Thursday

I apologize for the lateness and brevity of today’s round…

1. Please give me the title of an episode – other than the pilot – that aired during the first season of the CBS sitcom “The Big Bang Theory.”

2. Please take a look at this website on restaurants in Calgary and choose a French restaurant listed there.

3. Please select a book written by Tom Clancy that features the character of Jack Ryan.

4. Please pick a song off of Loretta Lynn’s 1965 studio album Blue Kentucky Girl.

5. Please name a movie that made the top fifteen on Bravo’s ‘100 Scariest Movie Moments’ list.

This round will close Tuesday, November 25th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#445691 - Sat Nov 22 2008 12:16 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Almost forgot to do this yet again . Just about 24 hours to go for Round 19 ...

#445692 - Sat Nov 22 2008 12:20 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 18 is now closed. The results will be posted early tomorrow morning.

*...now I'll try to catch up with this week's rounds...*

#445693 - Sun Nov 23 2008 08:06 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

It's just under (by 5 minutes) 16 hours before Round 17 closes. Sorry for the odd numbered countdown, I meant to post a 24 hour reminder but forgot...

#445694 - Sun Nov 23 2008 08:18 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 18

7 fantastic participants for this round – Thank you all for playing along!

1. Give me any other named character from the 2006 movie "Snow Cake". (apart from the three already mentioned – Alex Hughes, Linda Freeman, Vivienne Freeman)

10 points: Janet-the vet; Dirk Freeman

5 points: Florence [3], Clyde [2]

Not mentioned: John Neil, Meryl, Maggie, Diane Wooton, Ellen Freeman, Louise, Jack-the optician, Deborah-a neighbour, Dick-a neighbour

2. I want you to pick an actor/actress who appears at any position between 70 and 85 on Empire Magazine’s list of 100 Sexiest Stars in film history.
To make sure everybody looks at the same stuff, Here's where you should check.

10 points: Sigourney Weaver (#74), Heath Ledger (#79), Alan Rickman (#83)

5 points: Javier Bardem (#73) [2], Ryan Gosling (#75) [2]

Not mentioned: Gary Oldman, Lauren Bacall, John Cusack, Al Pacino, Katherine Heigl, Susan Sarandon, Tom Cruise, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Sofia Loren, Richard Gere, Uma Thurman

3. Please visit Jonathan Knight's website and make your pick from his "Birds and Animals" gallery.

10 points: Penguin

5 points: Guinea Fowl [2], Shoveller Duck [2], Curlews II [2]

Not mentioned: Owl, Coot, Polar bear, Otter, Badger, Hare, Deer, Avocets, Mandarin Duck, Curlews III, Gorilla, Elephant and a few more.

4. Give me the name of a chapter in Professor Michael Fitzgerald's book "The Genesis Of Artistic Creativity: Asperger's Syndrome And The Arts".

10 points: Herman Melville, Hans Christian Andersen, Bela Bartok, Spinoza, Arthur Conan Doyle.

5 points: William Butler Yeats [2]

Not mentioned: Vincent Van Gogh, Andy Warhol, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Johathan Swift, Lewis Caroll, George Orwell, Simone Weil and others.

5. Here's a Guide to Snowflakes. Please tell me a type of snowflake listed on that page.

10 points ALL – yay!: Capped Columns, Radiating Dendrites, Bullet Rosettes, Double Plates, Stellar Dendrites, Irregular Crystals, Needles.

The RESULTS for Round 18 are:

With 45 points: Szabs – Well done !

With 40 points: Deepakmr and Maninmidohio

With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Deputygary, Gatsby and Mugaboo

Our congratulations go to Szabs, the winner of Round 18. I think the “Penguin” was of great help here .
Szabs is getting a well deserved point for the month of November – Enjoy it!

#445695 - Sun Nov 23 2008 12:28 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 - Wednesday
"Trivial Pursuit"
Seven terrific players !

1. Kindly tell me another recurring character perfomed by Phil Hartman during his SNL tenure, OK?

For 10 Points:
Charlton Heston, Don Keister, Mace, Frank Sinatra, Susan the Transsexual
For 5 Points:
Eugene (from 'Cooking with the Anal Retentive Chef') (2)

Among the more memorable of the other choices were: Peter Graves, Frankenstein, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and Pat Buchanan.

2. New York Daily News ran a list called "Take In Spring at the New York's Best Rooftop Bars and Outdoor Cafes" in the Food/Dining section on April 25, 2008, which included The Dancing Crane at the Bronx Zoo. Please pick any other establishment named in that list.

For 10 Points:
Bread Stuy, Lounge 47, Rambling House
For 5 Points:
Café Nicole In The Novotel Times Square (2), Randazzo's Clam Bar (2)

Fourth Avenue Pub, Killmeyer's Old Bavaria Inn and Songbird Cafe In The Prospect Park Boathouse were considered exceptional as well.

3. Tell me one of the General Scheme of Lectures for Chemistry at Oxford in 2008-2009, First Year Inorganic Chemistry. Thank you!

For 10 Points:
Introduction to Molecular Orbitals, Introduction to Non-metal Chemistry, Ionic Model and Pre-transition Metal Chemistry
For 5 points:
Introduction to the Periodic Table (4)

Atomic Structure, Structure of Simple Inorganic Solids, Inorganic Reactions in Solutions, Review of Inorganic Chemistry and Introduction to Transition Metal Chemistry are also on the roster. None of which sound terribly interesting (by a mile) to me ~ but 'tis only my unscientifically-driven opinion, mind you ...

4. I'd like to know a guest star (no regular crew, announcers, etc.) that visited "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on the FIRST episode in any of its six seasons.

For 5 Points:
Jennifer Aniston (2), Kelly Clarkson (2), Justin Timberlake (3)

Macy Gray, Noah Wyle, Jeff Gordon, Rihanna, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Michelle Obama and the Jonas Brothers (Kevin, Joe and Nick) had hearty chats/visits with Miss DeGeneres, too.

5. To finish up, please tell me another team that had a player win the MLB (Major League Baseball) MVP Award between 1950-1959, inclusively. A TEAM whose player won it, not the player himself.

For 10 Points:
Boston Red Sox (Jackie Jensen - 1958), Chicago Cubs (Hank Sauer - 1952; Ernie Banks - 1958, 1959), Chicago White Sox (Nellie Fox - 1959), New York Yankees (Phil Rizzuto - 1950; Yogi Berra 1951, 1954, 1955; Mickey Mantle - 1956, 1957), Philadelphia Athletics (Bobby Shantz - 1952)
For 5 Points:
Cleveland Indians (Al Rosen - 1953) (2)

The other teams were the Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Giants and the Milwaukee Braves.

The Results!

45 Points! .... maninmidohio
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, deputygary
35 Points! .... Mugaboo
30 Points! .... szabs
25 Points! .... deepakmr

And there you have it for today (in a nice, friendly and evenly-matched Round of things ). Well done to maninmidohio for narrowly edging out the rest for the top spot. He gets a well-deserved monthly point - and the others of you get my appreciation, indeed. Well done to everybody.

#445696 - Mon Nov 24 2008 02:53 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 24 ~ Monday
Just your basic assembly of silliness today ... no theme, but one question (kinda) leading to the next one.

1. Joshua Radin is an acoustic/folk rock musician - active since 2004. I find his mindset not only compelling ... but very encouraging, too. He was signed to Columbia Records after his pal Zach Braff featured one of his tunes in his hit TV show Scrubs. The response to that song ("Winter") was rather overwhelming and 4 more of Radin's pieces were added to later episodes of the sitcom ... enough to get a major record label interested. Many TV appearances followed, radio airplay was brisk. But Mr. Radin became fastly dismayed. It seemed that Columbia wanted him to *change* his style, expected him to "mainstream" his music. Josh had no business with doing that (his music, he decided, should sound like HIS music) and he took a fully brave step for a young and new talent. He scratched together the money and bought back his pricey contract! Fame or no, he wants his art to remain his own expression(s). His new "label" is called Mom & Pop Records, his latest album's title reflects his complete discomfort with the complications and compromises that came with musical 'success'. Please tell me a track from the CD "Simple Times", by Josh Radin.

2. One of Josh Radin's songs was also featured in the new television 'dramedy' Eli Stone - it's about a young attorney allegedly suffering from an inoperable brain tumor ... which causes some pretty crazy hallucinations. Or are they premonitions? So far, the jury's out (so to speak). His "visions" seem to be a possible good bit of both. Jonny Lee Miller (Angelina Jolie's first husband, by the way) plays Eli, and he's a truly renaissance kind of guy, even in real life. He's a die-hard fan of Chelsea FC, wildly enjoys tattoos and is a marathon runner, participating in the London Marathon in 2008. It's a race generally held in April (since 1981) and it stretches 42.195 km (or 26 miles and 385 yards) long for its enthusiastic runners. This time, all I need to know is a FEMALE winner of the London Marathon from the year 2000 until now, inclusively.

3. Something tells me that there are more than a few marathon runners who are health conscious to the point of becoming staunch herbivores, many insisting that a vegetarian diet is far more beneficial to the body than a lifestyle of pork chops and beer . Perhaps some of those runners were at the 38th IVU World Vegetarian Congress in Dresden, Germany ~ "100 Years Of Food Revolution", held from July 27 - August 3 of this year. Have a look at the International Vegetarian Union's website and snoop around until you see *Phrases in World Languages* Tell me how to say the phrase "I am (a) vegetarian" in any of the Western European countries listed. Note: no derivatives (like "I don't eat meat") will be considered correct ...

4. One has to be a very fiercely determined vegetarian to not even eat eggs, don't you think? Eggs aren't meat, o' course, but they ARE potentially so. They're potential animals, so this causes many a disruption in the vegetariams who have both a health AND a spiritual context attached to their diets. While on the subject, in 1969 there was a guy named Roger Ferriter was working in a design studio in New York City. On the morning of a scheduled presentation to the Hanes Corporation to discuss marketing ideas for the new low-cost pantyhose launch, Ferriter was not satisfied that his work was creative or 'catchy' enough. Ergo, he attempted to "experience" the product in some new way, hoping that the exercise would spark a new creative direction. Along the way, he squeezed a pair of pantyhose in his fist, wondering how compact the product could become. Staring at said fist he was struck with the possibility that the package could be an egg. Just as quickly, he realized that egg rhymes with leg. Pretty soon thereafter, one of the most successful product launches in history began! Anyway, please tell me one of the L'eggs® Collections of hosiery (even though they don't sell 'em in *eggs* anymore).

5. I have a prevailing hunch that the pantyhose regularly get to flying like crazy over on UPN network's "America's Next Top Model" ... and probably have been for the duration of its eleven seasons (or "cycles", as they like to call them). It's a pretty much 'hot mess' of a show, if you ask me (which you didn't, and what do I know, anyway - it is the top-rated program on its network schedule). The idea is to get a dozen (plus) lovely young and thin and ambitious and dripping-with-attitude women pounding around photo shoots and runways - in order to decide which one does all of it "the best". It's hosted by former top model (and generally and limitlessly impressed-with-herself-at-any-given-moment) Tyra Banks. She serves as producer and [ahem] catwalk guru, too . Cycle 11 just finished, the winner being 19-year-old McKey Sullivan, from Illinois - who, if things work out as they have in the past, will rarely be heard from ever again (in a large way, at least). To finish up, please tell me another contestant to make the Top 10 in "America's Next Top Model" in the season that began on Sept. 3, 2008.

This "cycle" (?) will cease cycling on Friday, around noon. Have a great week, OK?

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Nov 24 2008 04:48 AM)

#445697 - Mon Nov 24 2008 04:40 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 17 is closed. I'm late with this notice. Results will be soon hopefully.

#445698 - Mon Nov 24 2008 05:53 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Nov 17 Round - Answers

7 lovely players for the Just Some of This and That round.

1) From here, under “Rounds and Multi-Part Songs”, please give me the title of a song that begins with any of the letters in CAMPFIRE.
For Ten Points: Row Row Row Your Boat, Rose, I Like the Flowers, Camp Hats, Make New Friends
For Five Points: Animal Fair (2)
Not mentioned: Camp Woolsey Song, Cuckoo, Cuddly Koalas, Ergo Sum Pauper, Frere Jacques, Fruit Salad, Mein Foot, Merry-Go-Round, Poor Boy, Rock My Soul, Rosen Fra Fyn, Rufus Rustus Johnson Brown

2) Please give me the name of any TV series that Christopher Lloyd appeared in. Kindly restrict your answer to a series that ran for more than one season (he needs to appear only once though).
For Ten Points: Taxi, Fallen Angels, Ed, Visions, Grim & Evil, TV Land Confidential, Road to Avonlea
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Amazing Stories, Barney Miller, Cheers, Malcolm in the Middle, Spin City and lots more. Mr Lloyd was and still is one very busy man.

3) From here, please give me either a myth –or- a fact (NOT both) about bipolar disorder.
For Ten Points:
Myth: Once bipolar disorder is controlled, people can stop their medicine.
Myth: People with bipolar disorder can’t hold down a job.
Myth: Bipolar symptoms are always triggered by some event.
Myth: Bipolar disorder is easy to diagnose.
Myth: Nothing can be done to manage bipolar disorder.
Fact: Symptoms of bipolar disorder are often triggered by a stressful event, but not always.
Fact: Bipolar disorder is not always easy to diagnose.
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned:
Myth: People who have bipolar disorder spend their lives in psychiatric hospitals.
Fact: Bipolar disorder can’t be cured, but there are ways to help control it.
Fact: Most people with bipolar disorder are treated outside of a hospital and have productive lives.
Fact: With proper treatment, people with bipolar disorder can be good workers.
Fact: Treatment of bipolar disorder is usually lifelong.

4) From here, please give me the name (in full) of a mushroom producing state in the U.S.
For Ten Points: Connecticut
For Five Points: Oregon (2), Pennsylvania (2), Vermont (2)
Not mentioned: California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin

5) Please give me a name of any of the following relations of Walt Disney: his parents, his siblings, his children, his children’s spouses.
For Ten Points: Roy Oliver (brother), Sharon Mae (daughter), Ruth Flora (sister), Robert Borgfeldt Brown (Sharon’s first husband), Herbert Arthur (brother)
For Five Points: Elias (father) (2)
Not mentioned: Flora Call (mother), Raymond Arnold (brother), Diane Marie (daughter), Ronald William Miller (Diane’s husband), William S. Lund (Sharon’s second husband)

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Deputygary played a perfect round and wins one point for November.

Other Results:
45 points: Maninmidohio, Gatsby and Denni
40 points: Mugaboo and Szabs
35 points: Deepakmr

Thank you to the 7 who played, everyone did a brilliant job! Gentle Monday wishes to one and all.

#445699 - Mon Nov 24 2008 12:55 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 20 will be closing in just over 23 hours...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002