Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#445700 - Tue Nov 25 2008 12:08 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 21 will close in just about 24 hours. Plenty of time to get your answers in. New players welcome.

#445701 - Tue Nov 25 2008 12:56 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 20 is now closed. However, I am waiting for an answer clarification before posting the results.

#445702 - Tue Nov 25 2008 01:06 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

I am headed out-of-town today for the Thanksgiving weekend and may not have internet access until Sunday, so here is Round 27 early:

Round 27 - Thursday

1. Wallis Simpson was the American divorcee for whom King Edward VIII gave up the throne of Great Britain in 1936. Born Bessie Wallis Warfield in Baltimore in 1896, the future Duchess of Windsor shared a common ancestor with two past and future United States Presidents: Harry Truman and Barack Obama. Please take a look at Ms. Simpson's ancestry and give me the full name of one of her great-grandparents.

2. The kiwi, a flightless bird native to New Zealand, has had two airlines named after it - both of which are no longer in operation. There are four currently identified species of kiwi, all of which are endangered. The Kiwi House and Native Bird Park in Otorohanga, New Zealand exhibits the country's largest aviary, including a kiwi display. Please take a look at the Kiwi House website and tell me the name of another bird in the park.

3. Indonesia is a republic in Southeast Asia comprised of more than 17,500 islands and 222 million people. It holds the titles of world's largest archipelagic state and the most-populous Muslim-majority country. Eleven of Indonesia's islands boast populations of greater than one million people; please select one of these teeming islands.

4. Wisk laundry detergent implemented the catchphrase "ring around the collar" in 1968, which was a staple of Wisk television ads through the 1980s. The website for Wisk detergent offers tips on how to remove stubborn stains as categorized by hobby (see 'Clean Powerfully' and 'Laundry Tips.' Please taking a look at the 'Cooking' section and pick a food/drink item listed there as a potential cooking stain.

5. The US Secret Service has an involved code to describe persons, objects, and situations that may be useful while on duty. For example, the Cement Mixer is the White House Situation Room, while the Punchbowl refers to the Capitol Building. The most well-known duty of the Secret Service is to protect the president at all times; for this reason, presidents and other dignitaries are given code names as well. Please choose one of the names from TIME Magazine's 'Top 10 Secret Service Code Names' list .

This round will close Tuesday, December 2nd. Please PM me with any questions, keeping in mind that I may not be able to answer them until Monday. Good luck!

#445703 - Wed Nov 26 2008 01:47 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Tuesday Nov 25 – Quiz

From the gossip pages

1) A fandom is a group populated by people who are interested in a particular subject. The subject can be one of many things: a book, a TV show, a celebrity, a product, a sports team…there is really no end to what topics can inspire a fandom. Fans themselves can range from the casual to the very intense who may want to know the minutest details of their subject, and on the very end of the very intense scale, you may end up with a ‘stalker’ if the subject is a celebrity. I recently read an article which mentioned that when the TV show “Lipstick Jungle” was reported as being in danger of cancellation because of low ratings, its fandom rose up to protest by sending in tubes of lipstick to the TV network concerned. Please give me the name of a character who has appeared in 10 or more episodes of “Lipstick Jungle”.

2) It has been reported that actor Charlie Sheen and his wife, Brooke, are expecting twin boys in April. Please name another set of celebrity twins. For your answer, only one of the twins needs to be a celebrity and please choose a set of twins who are both still living.

3) “Hollywood’s 10 Hottest Tots”. This is the second annual list by Forbes. These tots were apparently selected after looking at a year’s worth of press clippings and Web presence, and also involved obtaining awareness scores for the kids and consumer appeal rankings for their celebrity parents. I really don’t know what to think of such rankings, but the public must love reading about these little ones. Please give me any name that appears on the list. There were some objections by members of the public to the use of the word ‘hot’ for this list. “Trendy” comes to mind as a possible replacement.

4) Guy Ritchie and his former ‘missus’ Madonna Louise Ciccone have apparently agreed to joint custody of their two boys. Madonna is currently on the final legs of her World Tour, while Guy is directing the new “Sherlock Holmes” movie starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. The very first Sherlock Holmes story I read was “The Hound of the Baskervilles”. I loved that story then and still do. This page has a long list of film adaptations of “The Hound of the Baskervilles”. From that list, please give me the name of either the director –or- the actor who played/voiced “Holmes” –or- the actor who played/voiced “Watson”. Please restrict your choices to only those film adaptations released in the 1970s and 1980s.

5) Little Bronx Mowgli Wentz debuted on November 20 (and I was just getting used to Zuma Nesta Rock Rossdale). Daddy plays bass guitar and does backing vocals on a pop punk band. Please give me a title from the track listing of the band’s fourth studio album released in early 2007 in the U.S. Please note that if you use Wikipedia, the last 2 songs listed are bonus tracks and not on the original U.S. album.

This round will close on Sunday 30 November at midnight FT time. Wishing everyone a super week. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates the occasion.

#445704 - Wed Nov 26 2008 02:48 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 26th November round
Q1 Something you associate with winter
Q2 A type of Cheese
Q3 A type of housing (e.g. Flats, which is not now allowed!
Q4 Give me a character – not the actor/actress who plays them – in Open All Hours the Comedy series
Q5 Name an appliance that lasts for years.

This will close over the weekend

#445705 - Wed Nov 26 2008 01:15 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 21 – The Mark Steven Round

We had seven wonderful solvers for the Mark Steven Round. Thanks to all for playing.

1. Please tell me an actor in either Grumpy Old Men or Grumpier Old Men who has a listed IMDB acting credit from before 1970.

For 10 Points
- Buck Henry, Jack Lemon, and Ann Morgan Guilbert
For 5 Points – Walter Matthau (2) and Sophia Loren (2)
Not Chosen - Ossie Davis, Burgess Meredith, Ann Margaret, and James Andelin

2. From Congressman Mark Steven Kirk’s congressional web site please tell me a “Congressman Kirk in the News” story from September 2008 that they thought worthy of including (let’s not include the horse trailer stories even though it must be an important issue to his constituency).

For 10 Points
– U.S. deploys radar system at Israel base to detect Iran missiles; Frank, McCain Say Executive Pay Limits Must Be in Rescue Plan; Kirk Wants CEO Punishment; Local relief efforts gear up as more storms threaten; and Our commitment to freedom
For 5 Points - Giuliani! Former New York mayor salutes officers (2)
Not Chosen - Future of Bailout Bill; Lessons of '86 helped, couldn't prevent new flood; and Missile Offense

3. Please look at Mark Steven Greenfield’s resume and tell me a venue where he has had a solo exhibition.

For 10 Points
– Sweeney Art Gallery, University of California, Riverside, CA and Steve Turner Gallery, Beverly Hills, CA
For 5 Points - 18th Street Art Gallery, Santa Monica, CA (2) and Los Angeles Southwest College, Los Angeles, CA (3)
Not Chosen - Reginald Ingraham Gallery, Los Angeles, CA; Mt. San Jacinto College, San Jacinto, CA; Project Row Houses, Houston, TX; California State University Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA; and William Grant Still Art Center, Los Angeles, CA

4. Tell me the name of an MP3 sample available on Mark Steven Brocke’s website from his CD “Completed.”

For 10 Points
– There is a Redeemer, I See The Lord, and Trade Mark
For 5 Points – Ditty for Doyle (2) and As The Deer (2)
Not Chosen – Completed; America The Beautiful; How Great Thou Art; Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing; and More Love, More Power

5. Take a look at the gallery on Mark Steven Pophams’s website and tell me the name of one of his single word (non-hyphenated) titled works.

For 10 Points
– Beginnings, Drain, Glow, Ascension, and Azul
For 5 Points – Landing (2)
Not Chosen – Discovery, Zeal, Connection, Gondola, and Rising

The Results:
With 40 Points – Mugaboo, denni19, szabs, deputygary, deepakmr and Gatsby722
With 35 Points – brandz_mygirl

So in one of the tightest games so far this month, Mugaboo, denni19, szabs, deputygary, deepakmr, and Gatsby722 all take one November trivia point for this round. Well played everyone.

#445706 - Fri Nov 28 2008 12:00 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
12 hours to go for Round 24, folks!

#445707 - Fri Nov 28 2008 12:19 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 28 - Friday

This round will be dedicated to Amherst a town in Hampshire County, Massachusetts and people that have been somewhat related to it.

1. Emily Elizabeth Dickinson born in 1830 to a family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. Thought of as an eccentric by the locals, she became known for her penchant for white clothing and her reluctance to greet guests or, later in life, even leave her room. Dickinson was a prolific private poet, though fewer than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime. she created forty notebooks from 1858 through 1865 with nearly eight hundred poems in them, no one was aware of the existence of these books until after her death. From her book The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson (1924), go to Part One – Life, and please give me the title of one of the first 25 poems.

2. W. E. B. Du Bois Library located at Umass Amherst, is home of the memoirs and papers of the distinguished African-American activist of its namesake, W.E.B. DuBois. The library also functions as a federal depository library. At 26 stories and 297 feet (90.5m) tall it is the tallest library in the world. Getting back to Du Bois, David Levering Lewis, a biographer, wrote, "In the course of his long, turbulent career, W. E. B. Du Bois attempted virtually every possible solution to the problem of twentieth-century racism—scholarship, propaganda, integration, national self-determination, human rights, cultural and economic separatism, politics, international communism, expatriation & third world solidarity”. Could you please give me the title of a book written by W. E. B. Du Bois.

3. Uma Thurman Oscar-nominated actress, whose father Robert Thurman taught at Amherst College, grew up in the town of Amherst. Thurman's father, Robert, a scholar and professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist studies, was the first westerner to be ordained as a Tibetan Buddhist monk, giving his children a Buddhist upbringing: Uma is named after an Dbuma Chenpo meaning "Great Middle Way". Thurman has become quite an actress, her breakthrough came in her role as Cecile de Volanges in Dangerous Liaisons. Would you be so kind and give me the title of one of the movies Uma Thurman has been in.

4. Amherst is home to three of the Five Colleges Consortium, Amherst College, Hampshire College, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the other two being Smith College and Mount Holyoke. Amherst College is a private liberal arts college, founded in 1821, Amherst is classified as a more selective institution by the Carnegie Foundation and is ranked first among liberal arts colleges by U.S. News and World Report, tied with rival Williams College. Although a small college, Amherst has many accomplished alumni, including Nobel, Pulitzer Prize winners, Science and Book Award recipients, Academy, Tony, and Emmy Award winners, head of States and a U.S. President. Could you please give me the name of an alumni who is either a President or Heads of State, Astronaut, Nobel Prize winner or Directors of Central Intelligence.(Have a look at the full list as there are some amazing people there.)

5. Amherst Brewing Company - ABC is a full-service brewpub in the centre of town, it’s 10-Barrel brewery is visible from the bar and produces some of the finest ales and lagers in the area in an old traditional style. Please give me the name of an ABC brew from their site.

This round will end on Wednesday the 3rd of December noonish FT time, if you have any queries just PM me, till then have a great weekend .

#445708 - Fri Nov 28 2008 11:46 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 24 - Monday
Seven awesome participants !

1. Please tell me a track from the CD "Simple Times", by Josh Radin.

For 10 Points:
Brand New Day, Friend Like You, I'd Rather Be With You, No Envy No Fear, One of Those Days, They Bring Me to You, We Are Okay

"Sky", "Vegetable Car", "Free of Me" and "You Got Growin' Up to Do" are the other tracks (and that guy sings good, too, I think ) ...

2. This time, all I need to know is a winner of the London Marathon from the year 2000 until now, inclusively.

For 10 Points:
2006 - Deena Kastor (United States)
For 5 Points:
2000 - Tegla Loroupe (Kenya) (3); 2002, 2003, 2005 - Paula Radcliffe (United Kingdom) (3)

The rest: 2001 - Derartu Tulu (Ethiopia); 2004 - Margaret Okayo (Kenya); 2007 - Zhou Chunxiu (China) -and- 2008 - Irina Mikitenko (Germany).

3. Have a look at the International Vegetarian Union's website and snoop around until you see *Phrases in World Languages* Tell me how to say the phrase "I am (a) vegetarian" in any of the Western European countries listed.

For 10 Points:
Ik bün 'n Vegetarier(sch) (Low Saxon/Low German), Is feoilshéantóir mé (Irish Gaelic), Jiena Vegitarjan/a (Maltese), Vesne oma (Cornish)
For 5 Points:
Ik ben een vegetarier (Dutch) (3)

Je suis un végétarien(ne) (French ), Ich bin Vegetarier[in] (German), Ime chortofagos (Greek), Sono vegetariano/a (Italian), Ech sin Végétarier[inn] (Luxemburgisch) -and- Rydw i'n llysieuwr (Welsh / Cymraeg) would be the other ways to say "no thanks" to the lamb chops.

4. Anyway, please tell me one of the L'eggs® Collections of hosiery (even though they don't sell 'em in *eggs* anymore).

For 10 Points:
Active Support Full Support Pantyhose, L'eggs Casual Fashion Tights, L'eggs Everyday Pantyhose, Sheer Energy Pantyhose, Sheer Vitality Pantyhose
For 5 Points:
Silken Mist Bare Collection Pantyhose (2)

Lots more (14, I think?) to pick from there.

5. To finish up, please tell me another contestant to make the Top 10 in "America's Next Top Model" in the season that began on Sept. 3, 2008.

For 10 Points:
Marjorie Conrad, 19 (from San Francisco, California); Clark Gilmer, 19 (from Pawleys Island, South Carolina); Lauren Brie Harding, 20 (from Charlottesville, Virginia); Elina Ivanova, 18 (from Seattle, Washington); Samantha Potter, 18 (from Woodland Hills, California)
For 5 Points:
Sheena Sakai, 21 (from Harlem, New York) (2)

Leaving Isis King, Joslyn Pennywell and Analeigh Tipton also in the dust (and not mentioned today).

The Results!

45 Points! .... deepakmr, deputygary
40! Points .... denni19, maninmidohio, Mugaboo, szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl

As always, very very close - but it was two gentlemen (deepakmr and deputygary) who rose to the crest of the esteemed leader board this time! Hale and hearty *Congratulations!* to them ... and thank you all for playing !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Nov 28 2008 11:48 AM)

#445709 - Sat Nov 29 2008 02:56 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 29 - - Saturday 29th November

After the Beatles had finished performing those gigs in Germany before they were famous, that you saw 15 days ago in Maninmidohio's round. The Beatles make thier way to my home town of Elgin, which was where they were when they became famous - this quiz tells the story.

1. The first concert they were supposed to do, was cancelled due to blizzards. It was to have been in the town of Keith. Keith the only place in the world, where you can obtain a qualification in kilt making. Name any Tartan with starting with the letters "ST" (This site might help).

2. The fist gig they did, and as it turned out the only venue they played at, because the Aberdeen date was snowed off too, came on the 3rd of January 1963 in Elgin, where they played at the "Two Red Shoes". Please give me any event/gig at the Red Shoes Theatre, during November or December 2008.

3. They did play the first Scottish performance of "Love me do" and "Boy", as well as excellent singing by Paul of "Till there was you" during the interval. That song was written by Meredith Willson for the musical "The Music Man". Please give me the name of any song from Act II of "The Music Man".

4. The room they played in was an L shaped, the Beatles were playing at one end, and the bar was at the other. As Ringo recalled in his book, he imagined the the other end being inhabited by Scottish farmers in snow clad Wellington boots - you can imagine which end was the most popular. Please give me a type of Wellington boot made by Hunter Boot Ltd.

5. During their performance there was one complaint from a diner, who didn't like the noise. So during the break the owner (Albert Bonici) asked John Lennon whether he could have a word. John replied "Velocity". Please give me any element of the formula, to culculate the Terminal Velocity in the presence of buoyancy force, when the falling object is spherical in shape.

Brian Epstein then called Mr. Bonici, wanting the Beatles to come back to London, and cut short the Scottish tour, as their first single "Love Me Do" had finally made the charts (After being released three months earlier). Rumour has it he agreed, provided the fab four had a wash at the nearby Elgin Baths.

The round closed at noon Thursday (FT time), if you need help I'll give you a link or two.

#445710 - Sun Nov 30 2008 03:38 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'll close round 26 (Wednesday) later today

#445711 - Sun Nov 30 2008 01:34 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 26th November results

Q1 Something you associate with winter
FOR TEN POINTS:
No outdoor swimming, Ice, snowplows, scarves, Christmas, Antifreeze for the car, wood fires, Hot coffee,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Ice skating, Snow and more

Q2 A type of Cheese
FOR TEN POINTS:
Tetilla cheese, Red Leicester, Port Salut, Paneer, Pepper Jack cheese, Huntsman cheese,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Mozarella (2)
NOT MENTIONED:
Cheddar, Edam and more

Q3 A type of housing (e.g. Flats, which is not now allowed!
FOR TEN POINTS:
Cave houses, Maisonette, duplex, spirit level, Crawl, Aquarium, Townhouse, Cottage,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Bungalow, Castle and more

Q4 Give me a character – not the actor/actress who plays them – in Open All Hours the Comedy series
FOR TEN POINTS:
Arkwright, Cyril, Nurse Gladys,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Mrs. Parslow (3), Mrs Featherstone (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Granville and more

Q5 Name an appliance that lasts for years.
FOR TEN POINTS:
Hair drier, Television, Dishwasher, electric can opener, Sewing machine, electric drill, Rice cooker, Radio
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Television, kettle and more

Competitors - Eight
Scores

maninmidohio – 50
Zorba_scank - 50
Brandz_mygirl – 45
Deputygary - 45
Gatsby – 45
Mugaboo – 45
Szabs - 45
Deepakmr - 40

Well done to maninmidohio and Zorba_scank

#445712 - Mon Dec 01 2008 12:04 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 25 is closed. Results will be out later today.

#445713 - Mon Dec 01 2008 11:32 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Nov 25 Round - Answers

From the gossip pages had 7 wonderful players.

1) Please give me the name of a character who has appeared in 10 or more episodes of “Lipstick Jungle”.
For Ten Points: Kirby Atwood, Salvador Rosa, Maddie Healy, Wendy Healy, Shane Healy
For Five Points: Victory Ford (2)
Not mentioned: Nico Reilly, Joe Bennett, Taylor Healy, Roy Merritt, Josh

2) Please name another set of celebrity twins. For your answer, only one of the twins needs to be a celebrity and please choose a set of twins who are both still living.
For Ten Points: Scarlett and Hunter Johansson (actress & brother), Dylan and Cole Sprouse (actors), Deidre and Andrea Hall (actresses), Gunnar and Matthew Nelson (musicians), Mark and Michael Polish (writers/producers/directors), Gisele Bundchen and Patricia (model & sister), Mark and Steve Waugh (cricketers)
For Five Points: None
Not mentioned: Ashton and Michael Kutcher, Savannah and Eden Mahoney, Joel and Benji Madden, Vin Diesel and Paul Vincent, Alanis and Wade Morissette and many, many more.

3) Please give me any name that appears on the list (“Hollywood’s 10 Hottest Tots” – second annual list by Forbes).
For Ten Points: Sean Preston Federline, Suri Cruise, Cruz Beckham, Zahara Jolie-Pitt, David Banda
For Five Points: Sam Alexis Woods (2)
Not mentioned: Shiloh Jolie-Pitt, Pax Jolie-Pitt, Matilda Rose Ledger, Sam Sheen

4) This page has a long list of film adaptations of “The Hound of the Baskervilles”. From that list, please give me the name of either the director –or- the actor who played/voiced “Holmes” –or- the actor who played/voiced “Watson”. Please restrict your choices to only those film adaptations released in the 1970s and 1980s.
For Ten Points: Barry Crane, Stewart Granger, Alex Nicholas
For Five Points: Terence Rigby (2), Paul Morrissey (2)
Not mentioned: Bernard Fox, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Igor Maslennikov, Vasilij Livanov, Vitali Solomin, Peter Duguid, Tom Baker, Douglas Hickox, Ian Richardson, Donald Churchill, Ian McKenzie, Peter O’Toole, Brian Mills, Jeremy Brett, Edward Hardwicke

5) Please give me a title from the track listing of the band’s (“Fall Out Boy”) fourth studio album released in early 2007 in the U.S.
For Ten Points: The (After) Life of the Party, I’m Like a Lawyer with the Way I’m Always Trying to Get You Off (Me and You), Don’t You Know Who I Think I Am?, Thriller, Bang the Doldrums
For Five Points: Hum Hallelujah (2)
Not mentioned: The Take Over The Breaks Over, This Ain’t a Scene It’s an Arms Race, Golden, Thnks Fr Th Mmrs, The Carpal Tunnel of Love, Fame, You’re Crashing But You’re No Wave, I’ve Got All These Ringing in my Ears But None on my Fingers.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Deputygary played a perfect round and wins a point for November. (if I’m not wrong, he did the same too for my round last week, well done!)

Other Results:
45 points: Szabs, Gatsby and Deepakmr
40 points: Mugaboo and Zorba_Scank
35 points: Maninmidohio

Great effort by everyone, thank you all for taking the time to play.

#445714 - Tue Dec 02 2008 11:21 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 20 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please give me the title of an episode – other than the pilot – that aired during the first season of the CBS sitcom “The Big Bang Theory.”

For 10 points: "The Loobenfield Decay," "The Pancake Batter Anomaly," "The Luminous Fish Effect," "The Grasshopper Experiment," "The Bat Jar Conjecture," "The Big Bran Hypothesis"

For 5 points: "The Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization" (2)

Not mentioned: "The Fuzzy Boots Corollary," "The Hamburger Postulate," "The Middle Earth Paradigm," and others

2. Please take a look at this website on restaurants in Calgary and choose a French restaurant listed there.

For 10 points: The Living Room, Belgo Brasserie, Osteria de Medici Restaurant, Eiffel Tower Bakery

For 5 points: La Chaumiere (2), Q Haute (2)

Not mentioned: Red Door Bistro, Brava Bistro, Fleur de Sel, Rouge, Trocadero

3. Please select a book written by Tom Clancy that features the character of Jack Ryan.

For 10 points: The Hunt for Red October, Executive Orders

For 5 points: Clear and Present Danger (2), Red Rabbit (2), The Cardinal of the Kremlin (2)

Not mentioned: Patriot Games, The Sum of All Fears, Debt of Honor, The Bear and the Dragon

4. Please pick a song off of Loretta Lynn’s 1965 studio album Blue Kentucky Girl.

For 10 points: "I Won't Forget You," "I Still Miss Someone," "The Race Is On," "Two Steps Forward"

For 5 points: "Love's Been Here and Gone" (2), "Then and Only Then" (2)

Not mentioned: "Blue Kentucky Girl," "Night Girl," "Farther to Go," and others

5. Please name a movie that made the top fifteen on Bravo’s ‘100 Scariest Movie Moments’ list.

For 10 points: Night of the Living Dead, Scream, [The] Exorcist, Misery

For 5 points: Wait Until Dark (2), Audition (2)

Not Mentioned: Jaws, Alien, Psycho, and others

Scores:

With 45 points: denni19
With 40 points: deputygary, Gatsby722, deepakmr
With 35 points: Mugaboo, szabs, brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: maninmidohio

Congratulations to denni19 for winning a November trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#445715 - Tue Dec 02 2008 12:20 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 27 Results

6 players entered this round…

1. Please take a look at Ms. Simpson's ancestry and give me the full name of one of her great-grandparents.

For 10 points: Thomas Love, Anna Gittings

For 5 points: Mary Anne Moody (2), Daniel Warfield (2)

Not mentioned: Nancy Mactier, Richard Emory, Henry Brown Montague, Frances Priscilla Presbury

2. Please take a look at the Kiwi House website and tell me the name of another bird in the park.

For 10 points: Grey Teal, New Zealand Falcon, Bellbird, Morepork, Pigeon, Scaup

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Pukeko, Pied Stilts, Spur-Winged Plover, and others

3. Eleven of Indonesia's islands boast populations of greater than one million people; please select one of these teeming islands.

For 10 points: Madura, Lombok

For 5 points: Sulawesi (2), Java (2)

Not mentioned: Sumatra, Borneo, New Guinea, and others

4. Please taking a look at the 'Cooking' section and pick a food/drink item listed there as a potential cooking stain.

For 10 points: White Wine, Beer, Dairy, Salad Dressing

For 5 points: Red Wine (2)

Not mentioned: Milk, Chocolate, Curry, and others

5. Please choose one of the names from TIME Magazine's 'Top 10 Secret Service Code Names' list.

For 10 points: Parasol (Cindy McCain), Renegade (Barack Obama), Rawhide (Ronald Reagan), Sunburn (Ted Kennedy)

For 5 points: Smurfette (Karenna Gore) – (2)

Not Mentioned: Lancer (John F. Kennedy), Searchlight (Richard Nixon), Deacon (Jimmy Carter), Halo (Pope John Paul II), Angler (Dick Cheney)

Scores:

With 45 points: maninmidohio, szabs
With 40 points: Mugaboo, deputygary, brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: Gatsby722

Congratulations to maninmidohio and szabs for winning one November trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#445716 - Tue Dec 02 2008 12:31 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a little reminder that Round 28 will be closing in about 24 hours. Late entries and newcomers are more than welcome.

#445717 - Thu Dec 04 2008 06:43 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 28 – Answers

We had eight fantastic participants in this round dedicated to Amherst.

1. Emily Elizabeth Dickinson was a prolific private poet, though fewer than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime. From her book The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson (1924), go to Part One – Life, and please give me the title of one of the first 25 poems.

For 10 Points : Pain has an element of blank, I had no time to hate, because, Success is counted sweetest
For 5 Points : Some things that fly there be (2), Read, sweet, how others strove (3)
Among Others: Our share of night to bear, Much madness is divinest sense, He ate and drank the precious words.

2. W. E. B. Du Bois Library located at Umass Amherst, is home of the memoirs and papers of the distinguished African-American activist of its namesake, W.E.B. DuBois.Could you please give me the title of a book written by W. E. B. Du Bois.

For 10 Points : Black Reconstruction in America, The Philadelphia Negro, Black Folk, Then and Now, Africa in Battle Against Colonialism, Racialism, I take my stand for Peace, Mansart Builds a School
For 5 Points : Dark Princess: A Romance (2)
Among Others: The Souls of Black Folk, The Quest of the Silver Fleece, Peace is Dangerous.

3. Uma Thurman Oscar-nominated actress, whose father Robert Thurman taught at Amherst College, grew up in the town of Amherst. Would you be so kind and give me the title of one of the movies Uma Thurman has been in.

Yay 10 Points to All: Tape, The Acciudental Husband, Henry & June, Batman & Robin, Jennifer Eight, Mad Dog & Glory, Pulp Fiction, Vatel
Among Others: Where the Heart Is, Les Misérables, The Avengers. And many more.

4. Amherst is home to three of the Five Colleges Consortium, Amherst College, Hampshire College, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the other two being Smith College and Mount Holyoke. Amherst College is a private liberal arts college, founded in 1821. Although a small college, Amherst has many accomplished alumni. Could you please give me the name of an alumni who is either a President or Heads of State, Astronaut, Nobel Prize winner or Directors of Central Intelligence.

For 10 Points : Stansfield Turner (DCI), Henry W. Kendall (Nobel P), Harold E. Varmus (Nobel P), Edmund Phelps (Nobel P), Calvin Coolidge (President), Joseph E. Stiglitz (Nobel P)
For 5 Points : John M. Deutch (DCI) (2)
Among Others: Albert II of Monaco (Head of State), William H. Webster (FBI), Lawrence R. Young, Robert A. R. Parker, Jeffrey A. Hoffman (Astronauts).

5. Amherst Brewing Company - ABC is a full-service brewpub in the centre of town, it’s 10-Barrel brewery is visible from the bar and produces some of the finest ales and lagers in the area in an old traditional style. Please give me the name of an ABC brew from their site.

For 10 Points : North Pleasant Pale Ale, Honey Pilsner, Puffers Smoked Porter, Two sisters Imperial Stout
For 5 Points : Workingman's Wheat (2), Graduation Ale (2)
Among Others: Massatucky Brown, Heather Ale, Lewmesiter Ocktoberfest, Half in the Bagpipe, Bankers Gold.

Scores

We have four winners with 45 Points : Brandz_mygirl, Deputygary, Maninmidohio & Zorba Scank
With 40 points: Denni19, Gatsby722 & Mugaboo
With 35 points: Deepakmr

A hearty congratulations goes out to our four winners in this round Brandz_mygirl, Deputygary, Maninmidohio & Zorba Scank , who receive one trivia point for November. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and I wish you all a great week.

#445718 - Thu Dec 04 2008 12:17 PM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 29 - 8 played

1. Name any Tartan with starting with the letters "ST".
For 10 points: Stevens; St Francis; St Leonards; St Mirren; Stone of Desiny; Strathblane; Strathearn; Strathclyde
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Starr; Stewart; Strachan; Strathisla; Sturrock

2. Please give me any event/gig at the Red Shoes Theatre, during November or December 2008.
For 10 points: Christmas Pantomime; Friday Night Live; Moray Jazz Club; Red Shoes Presents
For 5 points: Acting Showcase [2]; Latin American Dance Club [2]
Not mentioned: An Audience With Stan Williams; Christmas Party; Eve Selis Duo; Gospel Choir Showcase; HUBL Acoustic Sessions; Saturday Night Live

3. Please give me the name of any song from Act II of "The Music Man".
For 10 points: Pick a Little Talk a Little (Reprise); Lida Rose; Gary, Indiana; Finale
For 5 points: It's You [4]
Not mentioned: Will I Ever Tell You?; Shipoopi; Seventy-six Trombones / Goodnight My Someone (Reprise); Till There Was You (Reprise)

4. Please give me a type of Wellington boot made by Hunter Boot Ltd.
For 10 points: Bullseye; Fortnum & Masons eau de nil Wellingtons; Ladies Original; Men's Short
For 5 points: Balmoral Classic [2]; Sovereign [2]
Not mentioned include: Argyll; Midnight Sparkle; WaterAid Wellie; Young Hunter Neo

5. Please give me any element of the formula, to culculate the Terminal Velocity in the presence of buoyancy force, when the falling object is spherical in shape.
For 10 points: Density of the object; Drag force acting on the object; Drag coefficient; Gravitational acceleration
For 5 points: Characteristic velocity [2]; Projected area of the object [2]
Not mentioned: Buoyancy force acting on the object; Density of the fluid; Diameter of the spherical object; Weight of the object;

Scores:

50 points: Deepakmr
45 points: Gatsby722
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Denni19; Zorba Scank
35 points: Deputygary; Maninmidohio; Szabs

November ends on a high note for Deepakmr, who makes off with a well earned point - well done on a perfect score.

#445719 - Mon Dec 08 2008 05:53 AM Re: November 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
And now we are all caught up ... I think ?

Results for November 2008:

1. maninmidohio ~ 10 points
2. deepakmr ~ 8 points
3. deputygary ~ 7 points
4. szabs ~ 6 points
5. denni19
....Gatsby722 ~ both 5 points
7. brandz_mygirl ~ 3 points
8. Mugaboo
....zorba_scank ~ both 2 points
10. JaneMarple
.....Lizard_Wizard ~ both 1 point