Rules
Terms of Use

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#448175 - Mon Dec 15 2008 12:11 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
2008 is the 100th birthday of Beatrix Potter's Jemima Puddleduck and just maybe this is one of her great, great, grand-daughters

#448176 - Mon Dec 15 2008 12:39 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
Have been stuck at home for over a week, so took this through window and not very clear as it was dusk anyway. In the distance, the new four million pound paper recyling mill which had its topping out ceremony on Friday. Over the summer, the noise of pile driving (hundreds!) has driven us all nuts and 3000 nearby residents received M & S vouchers with a Christmas card as a way of an apology - I got nothing as they seem to have forgotten that sound travels over water!

#448177 - Mon Dec 15 2008 04:16 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
What a beautiful duck!

In summer it just gets too hot to be outside here - so far we're not doing too bad with the temperatures but they are steadily creeping up and so is the time spent indoors under the air-con.
We have to entertain ourselves somehow so I now declare the inaugural Copago Tower Building Competition open!

#448178 - Mon Dec 15 2008 08:22 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
Al-Mohajerah Offline
Explorer

Loc: Cairo Egypt

A quik visit to Al-Zamalek island in cairo today>>>
Al-Zamalek one of Cairo`s classy neighbourhood.

Al-Zmalek villas on nile>>>

Gloomy as it was going to rain..!

Edited by Al-Mohajerah (Mon Dec 15 2008 08:48 PM)

#448179 - Tue Dec 16 2008 01:32 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
My crib in my room and a few extras

#448180 - Tue Dec 16 2008 09:58 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

I recall reading a discussion on zebras being white with black stripes or black with white stripes, but don't remember the result.
Maybe someone knows; and here to help is a photo of one of the zebras at our local zoo

#448181 - Tue Dec 16 2008 10:06 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA

Osprey - Mom and Baby

#448182 - Tue Dec 16 2008 11:27 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Not sure about Zebra being white with black stripes or black with white stripes but I do know their stripes are like fingerprints - no two are the same.

#448183 - Tue Dec 16 2008 12:03 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Perhaps someone knows what this is as I am clueless - it was growing on a vine if that's any help. The colour of it and the 'star' shape was really eyecatching.

Am away for a week today so will look forward to catching up with all your photos when I get back. Happy snapping!

#448184 - Tue Dec 16 2008 12:33 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Looks like a Morning Glory.

#448185 - Tue Dec 16 2008 12:42 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Perhaps someone knows what this is as I am clueless - it was growing on a vine if that's any help. The colour of it and the 'star' shape was really eyecatching.

It's type of convolvulus - a climbing bindweed, of which there are many varieties.

#448186 - Tue Dec 16 2008 01:55 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
Ianser Offline
Participant

Loc: Scotland UK
I recall reading a discussion on zebras being white with black stripes or black with white stripes, but don't remember the result.
Maybe someone knows

the general concensus amongst scientists is that they are black or dark with white stripes

all the best
Ian

#448187 - Tue Dec 16 2008 05:38 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Many, many days behind on looking at this thread! Wonderful, inspiring, and beautiful photos all. Thank you!

According to the 'not always correct' Wiki:

Zebras are black or dark animals with white stripes and their bellies have a large white blotch for camouflage purposes. Some zebras have brown "shadow stripes" in between the white and black coloring.

Zebras are described as black with white stripes rather than the reverse for the following three reasons:

1. White equids would not survive well in the African plains or forests.
2. The quagga, an extinct Plains zebra subspecies, had the zebra striping pattern in the front of the animal, but had a dark rump.
3. When the region between the pigmented bands becomes too wide, secondary stripes emerge, as if suppression was weakening.

The fact that some zebras have pure white bellies and legs is not very strong evidence for a white background, since many animals of different colors have white or light colored bellies and legs.

#448188 - Tue Dec 16 2008 07:10 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
This was a lucky break. After 7 straight days taking London's old road signs my list seemed complete but when I got home I found some pages I'd missed, and this beauty was just round the corner relatively, but on a junction I usually turn off just before. Being white and with no road numbering means it's an earlier series than the usual ones pre 1963, and have heard these date back to the 1920s. Thank goodness the council have decided to look after and keep this, very few others do although it does happen occasionally.

#448189 - Tue Dec 16 2008 08:08 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      

This little train takes you all over the park, which is just as well as it is bigger than Jersey!

#448190 - Tue Dec 16 2008 11:56 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
What a wonderful lot of photos!

As you can see from this picture of a little park by the river that I often walk through, we had sunshine and blue sky today, and the snow was all but gone. That is changing as I write, as the snow has been coming down fairly steadily for about an hour now.

#448191 - Wed Dec 17 2008 10:46 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

After Dad buzzed me a few times, he joined Mom and Baby back on the nest.

#448192 - Wed Dec 17 2008 11:18 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
I am loving your osprey photos, bhs! We had one living near us when we were in Florida, they are always such a treat to see.

Haven't posted for awhile, but simply HAD to post this: snow in the desert this morning!!

There's even more since I took the photo. The kids are loving it - no school today.

#448193 - Wed Dec 17 2008 12:39 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

This is the platform at Grange Park station in Winchmore Hill

#448194 - Wed Dec 17 2008 04:05 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

This was a lucky break. After 7 straight days taking London's old road signs my list seemed complete but when I got home I found some pages I'd missed, and this beauty was just round the corner relatively, but on a junction I usually turn off just before. Being white and with no road numbering means it's an earlier series than the usual ones pre 1963, and have heard these date back to the 1920s. Thank goodness the council have decided to look after and keep this, very few others do although it does happen occasionally.

That sign is a real museum piece David. Maybe you should contact the council and ask them to preserve it safely. A lot of metal road signs are being stolen for their scrap value, and it would be a shame to lose one as rare as that.

This evening we've been in London at a Christmas carol service, at the Queen's Chapel of the Savoy a historic location which is the chapel of the Royal Victorian Order.
This is a small section of the ceiling, which features the coats of arms of kings and queens of England.

#448195 - Thu Dec 18 2008 10:37 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
The picture I posted yesterday was taken about 9am - this one was about 3pm. It finally stopped snowing about 11pm. My poor husband got stuck on his way from LA and had to stay overnight in a hotel about 45 minutes from here! But it is beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing it and playing in it.

#448196 - Thu Dec 18 2008 11:31 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

A "flock" of clouds.

It's hard to imagine snow right now. It is in the high 70s here today. Very unusual for this time of year.

#448197 - Thu Dec 18 2008 11:31 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
deputygary Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Dakota USA
That is pretty snow djsgal. I suppose its gone by now, though. We get to look at snow every day until late April.

No trains, sat? All your stations appear deserted.

Yesterday's sunset. Looking at my picture albums I realize I spend a lot of time looking at the sky. Might explain why I keep running into things.

#448198 - Thu Dec 18 2008 06:59 PM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The stations are just how they are when I arrive but have plenty with trains, I added one from St Margarets last week as it was waiting at the platform but both have their appeal.

"Maybe you should contact the council and ask them to preserve it safely." Done it already, well to another council (my own) for my local few as they got rid of a good one just after I caught it. No reply yet. I also emailed Boris Johnson's transport department as he seems more sympathetic to history than Ken who blitzed most of ours in 2000 as soon as he got in. It reminded me of what they did to the statues of Buddha in the far east.

Well although I lost the last T junction sign in London through inertia, here is an old path warning sign in Hampstead Garden Suburb which is now (as it is at the other end) a red circle with a bike on it. Unfortunately that looked to me like a cycle route and does to nearly everyone else so not much use. This however can never be thought of as ambiguous.

#448199 - Fri Dec 19 2008 10:47 AM Re: Photo-a-day - December 2008
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
So yesterday we had a planned "Santa Sighting" at the top of our street at the school bus-stop. Earlier this week a sign was posted there, which was unusual as we never had one before. In years past Santa would drive around the neighborhood, driven in a convoy, beeping and waving to all the onlookers. This time, with the meeting place already pre-designated, all the kids with their parents congregated on the corner once the convoy came through the area. First he drove through the streets, beeping and calling out to the residents to come out and meet him, which given the cold weather I'd have been happy to just stand in the front yard and wave as he went by. Boy, am I glad I didn't do that. When we got up there Santa parked his truck, and with the help of his "Housing" assistants, I along with any other adult who showed up was blessed with this! A free Turkey dinner with all the fixings! Isn't it awesome? I never expected anything more than a candy cane for the kids, but even they got something "extra": Reindeer Food.....

The note on the Reindeer Food reads:

Sprinkle this reindeer food outside on Christmas Eve night,
The moonlight will make it sparkle bright.
As the reindeer fly and roam,
This will guide them to your home.

How cute is that?

Edited by BurgGurl (Fri Dec 19 2008 11:15 AM)

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy