Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#448394 - Mon Dec 01 2008 12:11 AM December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
Thursdays - Nakarinna
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Any changes to the above list of hosts, please let us know.

#448395 - Mon Dec 01 2008 09:42 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday Dec 1 – Quiz

A is for….

1) A is for Anxiety. We’ve all experienced being anxious one time or another in our lives. What makes someone anxious, may not affect another person similarly. Persistent anxiety that overwhelms could be an indication of a generalised anxiety disorder. This page lists some natural remedies that are being explored for anxiety. Please give me any one of them. Just the bulleted headings are needed, there are eight to choose from.

2) A is for Autumn. English poet, John Keats, wrote an ode “To Autumn” in 1819. John Keats was born in 1795 and he succumbed to tuberculosis at age 25. Despite years of studying English literature in school, I never developed a proper appreciation for poetry. I wish I did. From Keats’s “To Autumn”, please give me either a line that begins with the letter ‘A’ –or- an animal that appears in the poem.

3) A is for Amadeus. “Amadeus” is a 1984 film loosely based on the lives of composers Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri. Please name a category in which the film or its cast and crew were nominated for in the Academy Awards, whether or the Oscar was won.

4) “A is for Alibi” is the first book in the “Alphabet Mysteries” series by Sue Grafton. The book introduces Kinsey Millhone, female P.I. , former police officer and former insurance investigator. Please name another book in the series.

5) A is for the Angel tube station in Islington, London. The station was named after a pub, the Angel Inn and the station has the highest escalators in Western Europe with a vertical rise of 90 feet and a length of 197 feet. There is a picture here taken part way (I think) down the escalator if you want to have a look. The Angel station serves the Northern Line on the London Underground. Please give me the name of another station that is served by the Northern Line and is within Travelcard Zone 1. It is fine if the station straddles the line between Zone 1 and Zone 2. Hint: The London Underground standard tube map would be very useful.

This round will close on Sunday 7 December at noon FT time. Feel free to PM if you need help.

#448396 - Tue Dec 02 2008 08:19 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 2 - Tuesday

1. "The Butterfly Project" is a remarkable initiative of the Holocaust Museum, in Houston, Texas. In an effort to remember the 1,500,000 children that perished during the Holocaust, the museum aims to collect 1.5 million handmade butterflies that will eventually comprise a breath-taking exhibition, currently scheduled for Spring 2012. [I am definitely going to send them a few!]
I would now like you to visit HERE and give me ANY line in that poem.

2. Judy Schrader is an American artist, living in rural Pennsylvania, who produces awesome wildlife drawings/paintings.
From the artist's website please pick the title of a painting in the "Flowers, Moths & Butterflies" category.

3. Originally a genuine report of a life-threatening fault, the phrase "Houston, we've had/we have a problem" is nowadays used humorously to report any kind of problem, was used as the tagline of the 1995 film "Apollo 13" and is also a chapter title in the book "Apollo Expeditions to the Moon" by Edgar M. Cortright.
The book can be read on NASA's History website. Specifically... in HERE.
Please give me any other chapter title from that book. (the numbered ones only )

4. Butterfly Recordings, a new British Folk label, believe that: "Folk music at its very root is essentially a way of stripping away the unneccessary layers of gloss and letting the music and artist bare themselves fresh from the source with minimal dressings and embelishments.". Their recordings pursue the idea of capturing the artists, their music and stories, in their own environments.
On Butterfly Recordings website, please check out their compilation album "What The Folk - Butterfly Acoustic Recordings Vol. I" and choose one of the artists/bands that participated on it.

5. Please tell me one of the museums to be found in the Houston Museum District area of Houston, Texas, USA. [apart from the Holocaust Museum, which was already mentioned]

Round 2 will be closed on Saturday, around noon FT time.

Have a fine week ahead!

#448397 - Tue Dec 02 2008 11:45 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 3 ~ Wednesday

I caught the show on CNN last weekend (aired nicely in the spirit of Thanksgiving) honoring this year's "Heroes". Great stuff, really - these folks do amazing things for all the right reasons. What startled me was the humbleness in the 'beginnings' of some of these fine projects! Limited resurces, irregular initial support ... but, ultimately, enough *spirit* to get results. And to make a difference.

1. The first winner we'll discuss today is from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. He was distressed about two major things re: his country: 1.) the lack of childrens books available in Ethiopia, and 2.) the alarming lowness of the literacy rates there, overall. "Kids’ literature in Ethiopia is distressingly underdeveloped." he said, and thus began Ethiopia Reads, a group which planted the first Children’s library with a collection of more than 16,000 books and serving all children under 18 for absolutely no charge. Later in 2005, it opened another free library with more than 5,000 books in Awassa and published thousands of children’s books in Amharic, Sidama, Oromiffa, Tigrigna and English and distributed them to school libraries around the country, building and furnishing a library where they didn’t have one. A hero indeed, please tell me a consonant in the founder of Ethiopia Reads' first or last name.

2. Marie Da Silva, a nanny in Los Angeles, lost fourteen members of her family to AIDS in her native country Malawi. Half a million children have been orphaned by the disease there, so Ms. Da Silva decided to begin a school for some of those youngsters left adrift after the death(s) of their parents (the first one located in the house of her mother). In September 2005, Marie founded the Jacaranda Foundation with the hope of raising the awareness / funds needed to educate the orphans in her homeland. Her organization believes that caring for and educating these children will help reduce the AIDS pandemic in Africa. Malawi is among the world's least developed and most densely populated countries, depending heavily on outside aid to meet development needs, although this need (and the aid offered) has decreased since 2000. People like Marie Da Silva hope to change some of that. Yet, according to the country's official website, there are a few official public holidays there, despite the duress. Please tell me one of them.

3. Things went incredibly wrong at one point in Carolyn LeCroy's (of Norfolk, Virginia) life some years ago. A "friend" used her storage unit to stash some illegal drugs and, when discovered, it was Carolyn who was convicted and sentenced to 55 years behind bars ! Upon her deserved early release she was always reminded of being separated from her children (like most of the women in prison were) so she started The Messages Project to help children stay connected with their incarcerated parents. She and volunteer camera crews have taped roughly 3,000 messages from inmates to their children. Since 1999 the Project has visited six state prisons in Virginia three times a year to create videotapes from incarcerated parents. The tapes are mailed to families, often with a book or poems and messages that might have been read on the tape. On the Virginia government site, please tell me one of the listed prisons (NO HOSPITALS) under Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Corrections, Facilities BUT only pick one whose name begins with a letter found in *C-N-N __ H-E-R-O-E-S* ...

4. Canadian Phymean Noun grew up in Cambodia, and struggled to complete high school. Now? She offers hundreds of Cambodian children who work in Phnom Penh's "trash dump" a way out -- through free schooling and job training. As an adult, Pound was walking down a street there and finished her lunch, tossing her chicken bones into the trash. Seconds later, she watched in horror as youngsters fought to reclaim her discarded food. After hearing their stories of hardship, she knew she couldn't ignore their circumstances. In 2004, her brainchild -- The People Improvement Organization -- opened a school at the city's largest municipal trash dump, where kids are a large source of dead-end labor. Phnom Penh is the capital and largest city of Cambodia and an economic, commercial, cultural / tourist and historical center (despite the inevitable pockets of despair). They proudly sing Cambodia's national anthem there, called "Nokoreach". Please tell me one of the fifteen lines [in English] of that anthem, OK?

5. And finally I'll mention Anne Mahlum. On her morning jogs in Philadelphia, she used to run past homeless men. Today, she's changing lives by getting folks running with her Back On My Feet program. Their mission statement: "We're a non-profit organization promoting the self-sufficiency of Philadelphia's homeless population by engaging them in running as a means to build confidence, strength and self-esteem. The organization does not provide food nor shelter, but offers a community that embraces equality, respect, discipline, teamwork and leadership. There are no labels, no stigmas and no stereotypes. At Back on My Feet, all members join together to move their own lives." The Second Annual Back on My Feet Bash, presented by Beneficial Bank and celebrating those who *dare to run*, will take place at World Cafe Live on December 4, 2008. Please tell me a digit in the street number OR the five-digit zip code of World Cafe Live please.

This'll close Sunday, sometime around midday. Enjoy the rest of your week !

#448398 - Thu Dec 04 2008 10:16 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 4 - Thursday

1. John Wayne, one of America's most iconic movie stars, is well-known for his many roles in western movies. In fact, Wayne holds a place in the Guiness Book of World Records as the actor with the most leading parts (142 of his 153 movies were leading roles). Please give me the name of a credited John Wayne movie with a single-word title.

2. The Republic of Burundi is a small landlocked country in eastern Africa. Burundi has historically been occupied by the Twa, Tutsi, and Hutu tribes; however, tensions between the Hutu and the Tutsi resulted in civil war throughout much of the last half of the twentieth century. Please select one of Burundi's seventeen provinces.

3. John Enders, Frederick Robbins, and Thomas Weller won the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1954 after the three Harvard Medical School researchers sucessfully cultivated polio in a test tube. Please choose another Nobel laureate in Physiology or Medicine who received their award during the 1950s.

4. The Smithsonian Institution is a collection of nineteen museums, a zoo, and nine research centers founded with a bequest from British scientist James Smithson. The institution has over 136 million items within its collections. Please take a look at the 'Favorite Exhibitions' page on the Smithsonian wesbite and pick any of the highlights listed there.

5. Well-known good luck charms include a bird's wishbone, a rabbit's foot, a horseshoe, and a four-leaf clover. Some (and understandably not all) have been incorporated into General Mills 'Lucky Charms' cereal. Please tell me a marshmallow shape that is currently or has ever been a 'regular' in the Lucky Charms cereal (e.g. the specialty shapes like Olympic symbols and world landmarks won't count).

Edited by nakarinna (Fri Dec 05 2008 04:13 PM)

#448399 - Fri Dec 05 2008 08:46 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 5 - Friday

I settled into my new home in Hamburg, New York, after our relocation from Massachusetts. My education continued and soon I entered Hamburg High School. The school mascot was the bulldog (a very popular mascot for schools in the US). Our school colors were purple and white (not as common a choice, but not unheard of). In honor of my years at HHS, let us see what google offers up as matches to “bulldog purple white.” Welcome to the Bulldog/Purple/White Round.

1. Garfield High School (colors - purple and white, mascot - Bulldog) in Seattle, Washington, is an old inner city school that has seen a lot of changes over the years. It originally served a mix of immigrant children (Jewish, Japanese, and Italian) who came to Seattle to better themselves. The neighborhood switched to predominately black during the 1950s. The school adjusted to serving its community – targeting education to serve the student population. It now serves as a magnet school to attract a diverse mix of students. Go to the school’s web site and you will find at the bottom of their home page a link to the school's tech wish list to attract donations from the community. Go to that list and tell me one of the items desired by the Bus & Tech Department.

2. Color Purple Bulldogs are breeders of AKC registered bulldogs located in Indianapolis, IN. The white comes in as part of the coat color. On their web site you will find a lot of pictures of some of their dogs. Tell me the caption on any of these pictures except for those under new litter boys (some of the pictures and some of the captions are reused but do not let that bother you, I am just looking for the caption and not which picture it goes with).

3. Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri, is another school with a fine bulldog tradition of wearing the purple and the white. The school started back in 1867 as North Missouri Normal School and Commercial College. A Normal school was one that trained teachers. In 1995 it changed its name to honor the only United States President to come from Missouri. It now serves about 6,000 students annually. On the University’s web site follow the “About Truman” link and then go to the “History of the University” link and tell me one of the non-twenty-first century presidents at Truman State.

4. Sister Pelagia is a Russian Orthodox nun and the heroine of three mystery novels by Boris Akunin. The first of these mysteries was entitled “Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog.” On the Barnes & Nobles page for the book you can look under “Features” and see the whole first chapter. Please tell me the last word in any paragraph of that first chapter that has more than three vowels (Y will count as a vowel). The purple, by the way, in this case came from a quote in this chapter dealing with “a mantle of extremely precious purple velvet.”

5. In an article in the Arkansas Times on July 23, 2007, entitled “Death of a Purple Bulldog,” Sharon Blair writes about the loss of her alma mater, Leslie High which was merged with another district and a new high school built. There would no longer be the purple and white bulldogs that she remembered from her own education. Tell me a line from the school song of Leslie High or the name of the town the new high school is located in or the Arkansas county that town is the county seat of.

That wraps up our Bulldog/Purple/White Round. The round will end around noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, December 10. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Edited by maninmidohio (Fri Dec 05 2008 08:49 AM)

#448400 - Sat Dec 06 2008 11:29 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Just a reminder that Round 1 will be closing in about 24 hours (and 30 mins) time. That's all from me, thank you.

#448401 - Sat Dec 06 2008 12:25 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 2 is now closed and I'll come up with the results sometime over this weekend.

Thank you to all who sent in their answers .

#448402 - Sun Dec 07 2008 03:37 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 1 is closed (I'm late again with this notice). Results will be posted later today.

#448403 - Sun Dec 07 2008 09:16 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 2 - Tuesday

This round had 7 faithful competitors. Thank you so much for playing along !

1. Holocaust Museum Houston -- "The Butterfly Project" -- I would like you to visit HERE and give me ANY line in that poem.

10 points:
- “So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow”
- “For seven weeks I’ve lived in here”
- “against a white stone…”
- “Only I never saw another butterfly”
- “The last, the very last”

5 points: “The dandelions call to me” [2]

Not mentioned: Any non-bold line in the poem.

The Butterfly

The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone....

Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly ’way up high.
It went away I’m sure
because it wished
to kiss the world good-bye.

For seven weeks I’ve lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto.

2. Judy Schrader is an American artist, living in rural Pennsylvania, who produces awesome wildlife drawings/paintings.
From the artist's website please pick the title of a painting in the "Flowers, Moths & Butterflies" category.

10 points: Luna Moth, Trilliums, Lady Slipper

5 points: Flowering Crab Apple Blossom [2], Goldfinch on Blue Morning Glories [2]

Not mentioned: Swallowtail on Mountain Laurel, Lemon Lily with Peeper, Lily Pad with Dragon Fly, Polyphemus Moth, Trillium

3. "Houston, we've had/we have a problem" is a chapter title in the book "Apollo Expeditions to the Moon" by Edgar M. Cortright.
Please give me any other chapter title from the book. - HERE

10 points: The Shakedown Cruises, The Cape, A Perspective on Apollo

5 points: Ocean of Storms and Fra Mauro [2], Scouting the Moon [2]

Not mentioned: I Believe We Should Go to the Moon, Saturn the Giant, The Spaceships, This is Mission Control, Men for the Moon, Getting It All Together, The Eagle Has Landed, The Great Voyages of Exploration, The Legacy of Apollo

4. On Butterfly Recordings website, please check out their compilation album "What The Folk - Butterfly Acoustic Recordings Vol. I" and choose one of the artists/bands that participated on it.

10 points: Green Peppers, The Dilettantes, Oli Don, Duke Garwood & Paul May, The Spheres

5 points: Jai James [2]

Not mentioned: Indigo Moss, Lisa Knapp, The Sand Band, Damian Katkhuda, Attic (feat. Petra Jean Phillipson), Daniel Orcese, The Circus of Dr Lao, Samantha Marais, Music for Dogs

5. Please tell me one of the museums to be found in the Houston Museum District area of Houston, Texas, USA. [apart from the Holocaust Museum, which was already mentioned above]

10 points: Museum of Fine Arts Houston, The Jung Center Of Houston, The John C. Freeman Weather Museum, Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, Contemporary Arts Museum Houston

5 points: Houston Center for Contemporary Craft [2]

Not mentioned: Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum, Children's Museum of Houston, Czech Cultural Center Houston, The Health Museum, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Lawndale Art Center, The Menil Collection, Rice University Art Gallery

The RESULTS for Round 2 are:

With 45 points: Deputygary, Maninmidohio and Mugaboo

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby

With 35 points: Szabs

With 30 points: Deepakmr

One December point each for our winning “Triad” - Deputygary, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo.
Well done gentlemen! Your choices brought you to the top this time.

#448404 - Sun Dec 07 2008 09:44 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Dec 1 Round – Answers

An Amazing group of 8 played A is for.….

1) This page lists some natural remedies that are being explored for Anxiety. Please give me any one of them.
For Ten Points: Kava, Aromatherapy, Passionflower, Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA)
For Five Points: Bodywork (2), Valerian (2)
Not mentioned: Mind/Body Techniques, Other Natural Remedies for Anxiety

2) From Keats’s “To Autumn”, please give me either a line that begins with the letter ‘A’ –or- an Animal that appears in the poem.
For Ten Points:
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core, And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue, Among the river sallows, borne aloft
For Five Points: And gathering swallows twitter in the skies (2), Bees (3)
Not mentioned:
And still more, later flowers for the bees, And sometimes like a gleaner thou dost keep, And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn, Gnats, Lambs, Hedge-crickets, Redbreast, Swallows

3) Please name a category in which the film (“Amadeus”) or its cast and crew were nominated for in the Academy Awards, whether or not the Oscar was won.
For Ten Points: Best Sound, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Film Editing, Best Picture
For Five Points: Best Director (2), Best Costume Design (2)
Not mentioned: Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Makeup, Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, Best Cinematography

4) Please name another book (other than “A is for Alibi”) in the series (“Alphabet Mysteries” by Sue Grafton).
For Ten Points: B is for Burglar, D is for Deadbeat, G is for Gumshoe, L is for Lawless, R is for Ricochet, S is for Silence
For Five Points: E is for Evidence (2)
Not mentioned: Loads more. The books, so far, go from A to T

5) Please give me the name of another station (other than the Angel underground station) that is served by the Northern Line and is within Travelcard Zone 1.
For Ten Points: Charing Cross, Embankment, Euston, Goodge Street, Moorgate, Tottenham Court Road, Warren Street, Waterloo
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Bank, Borough, Elephant & Castle, King’s Cross St. Pancras, Leicester Square, London Bridge, Old Street

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Zorba_Scank, Deputygary & Deepakmr Deputygary did it again! Three in a row now. Well done to all three players who each earn a point for December.

Other Results:
45 points: Gatsby, Maninmidohio & Szabs
35 points: Mugaboo and Denni

Honorable mention goes to DeputyGary for linking Waterloo to ABBA to the title of this round.

My thanks to everyone who played. Gentle Monday wishes to one and all.

#448405 - Sun Dec 07 2008 10:04 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 3 - Wednesday
"CNN Heroes"
Seven sturdy participants this time !

1. A hero indeed, please tell me a consonant in the founder of Ethiopia Reads' first or last name.

For 10 Points:
G, H, N, R, Y
For 5 Points:
S (2)

The fellow's name is Yohannes Gebregeorgis ... leaving the only unchosen letter being 'B'.

2. Yet, according to the country's official website, there are a few official public holidays there, despite the duress. Please tell me one of them.

For 10 Points:
Martyr's Day ~ March 3; Easter ~ Mid April; Kamuzu Day (honoring Malawi's first president) ~ May 14; Independence (or Republic) Day ~ July 6
For 5 Points:
New Year's Day ~ January 1 (3)

Chilembwe Day (honoring John Chilembwe, a hero as per his fight for the country's independence), Good Friday, Labour Day, Mother's Day, Eid Ul Fitr ("To break the fast") and Christmas Day are the others.

3. On the Virginia government site, please tell me one of the listed prisons under Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Corrections, Facilities BUT only pick one whose name begins with a letter found in *C-N-N __ H-E-R-O-E-S* ...

For 10 Points:
Coffeewood Correctional Center, Halifax Correctional Unit #23, Haynesville Correctional Unit #17
For 5 Points:
Nottoway Correctional Center (2), Red Onion State Prison (2)

A total of fourteen answers to pick from on that one ...

4. Please tell me one of the fifteen lines [in English] of that anthem ("Nokoreach"), OK?

For 10 Points:
Everybody!
Heaven protects our King; Let us trust in the fate/faith of Cambodia/Campuchea; Songs rise up from the pagodas; The empire which challenges the ages; Let us be faithful to our ancestors' belief; The one being, heir of the Sovereign builders; Thus heaven will lavish its bounty

FULL TEXT (and variations exist):
Heaven protects our King
And gives him happiness and glory
To reign over our souls and our destinies,
The one being, heir of the Sovereign builders,
Guiding the proud old Kingdom.
Temples are asleep in the forest,
Remembering the splendour of Moha Nokor.
Like a rock the Khmer race is eternal.
Let us trust in the fate of Cambodia,
The empire which challenges the ages.
Songs rise up from the pagodas
To the glory of holy Buddhist faith.
Let us be faithful to our ancestors' belief.
Thus heaven will lavish its bounty
Towards the ancient Khmer country, the Moha Nokor.

5. The Second Annual Back on My Feet Bash, presented by Beneficial Bank and celebrating those who *dare to run*, will take place at World Cafe Live on December 4, 2008. Please tell me a digit in the street number OR the five-digit zip code of World Cafe Live please.

For 10 Points:
0, 5, 9
For 5 Points:
2 (2), 3 (2)

The address is: 3025 Walnut Street Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 -- meaning that the only numbers skipped on today were '1' and '4'.

The Results!

50 Points! .... denni19 .... Bravo ~ well done !
45 Points! .... Mugaboo
40 Points! .... deputygary, maninmidohio, szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr

Lots of results flowing in all of a sudden, eh ? I'll just speed through and thank all you *Heroes* for playing - everyone did great. And a December scoreboard point goes out to denni19 today. Have a boffo week forthcoming, folks!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Dec 07 2008 10:05 AM)

#448406 - Sun Dec 07 2008 10:50 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 8 ~ Monday

Just an assortment of stuff that flew into my ears (on some level) lately. I figured I'd better post some of it here before it all flies right back out again, lost forever ...

1. Easily, the most disturbing and horrific occurence of the recent past (in global terms) was the terrorists attacks on Mumbai, India. The city saw a series of politically motivated assaults on the North Indian population by the members of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, a party headed by Raj Thackeray. Last month, on the evenings of November 26 through November 29, a group of armed Islamic terrorists launched attacks in the southern part of Mumbai, murdering nearly 200 people, injuring hundreds and taking hostages in multiple locations. The events were jarring for the world in general, and especially so for those who suffered through it in the country of India. According to the list at Johnston Archive it was the 24th worst *Terrorist Strike, Worldwide*. It's no surprise that the September 11, 2001 tragedy ranks as #1 on that list, at present. Please tell me another terrorist strike that made the Top Ten over at Johnston's.

2. On a much lighter note (and more in the spirit of the holiday season, too), the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center, a place that tends to globally symbolize modernist architectural style blended with capitalism (again, in New York), was lit last week. The tree, usually a Norway spruce standing 75 to 90 feet (23 to 27 m) tall, has been put up every year since 1931. The history of the tree can be found, all in one place, *here*. Look at the Timeline on that site and tell me an historic event - skipping all the factoids about the tree(s) themselves - that is highlighted for 1978, 1988 -or- 1998. Since 2008 isn't over, it's not an option on the website just yet ...

3. Even though, as time has traveled, I seem to know [maybe ] 1% of all of the songs considered these days, the Grammy Award nominations were announced last week. And, again, I'd actually heard very few of the *biggies*. It would seem that "hipper" and more youth-oriented sounds were favored this year (and that's a good thing, I'd say ... as the Grammys always tended to bit a bit starchy and/or old-fashioned in what they liked and often did not reflect the music industry, in a popular sense, all that well). But I still migrate to the categories wherein I, personally, find comfort and occasional familiarity. This time, tell me a nominee for Best Traditional Folk Album or Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album (both in the 'Vocal or Instrumental' subcategories), OK? Note: I'm looking for the album titles there, not the performers of them.

4. Barbara Walters unveiled her annual list (and quickly ensuing TV special) of "The 10 Most Fascinating People." Jeesh, she seems to think that "fascinating" is a strictly American feature (OK ... I get it ... her audience is American, significantly, so her choices were notably US-specific). What a dreary and UNimpacting slew of folks she selected, though! Miley Cyrus? Will Smith? They're fun and popular and rich, and all that ~ but is that what it takes to be fascinating? No, that's what it takes to get Nielsen ratings . She did pick the unexpected (and perhaps the most "fascinating" of the lot) Frank Langella, however. He caused many a female swoon when he played Dracula (in '79), and has now grown into an Oscar-buzzworthy legend as he's playing the duplicitous Richard Nixon in 2008's Frost/Nixon on the silver screen. This time, I'd like to know a Broadway show that Frank Langella acted in during the course of his career - but no revivals. Only 'original plays', please. Once again, that Internet Broadway Database will be a most handy place for that one ...

5. While on films, a well-hyped holiday movie is out now (with Oscar nominations almost guaranteed, come 2009). That'd be Milk, the biopic of Harvey Bernard Milk (1930-1978), an American politician and the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California, as a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Milk was later assassinated, sparking all variations of public outrage across the country ... and it is reported that Sean Penn plays him brilliantly. Harvey Milk began the Castro Street Fair in 1974 (a celebration of the eclectic citizens there) and it still thrives each year. The colorful Barnaby's World of Wonderment, an interactive entertainment troupe focusing on the performance arts and showcasing a wide variety of local theatre, street and circus performers, is a usual feature at the fair. Please tell me an organization with a three-word name to it that appeared in Barnaby's World of Wonderment at the Castro Street Fair in 2008.

That'll do it. This will close up around midday on Friday .

#448407 - Mon Dec 08 2008 12:15 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 4 will be closing in just under 24 hours...

#448408 - Tue Dec 09 2008 12:09 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday Dec 9 – Quiz

B is for….

1) …Banana. I love bananas. They are a lovely cheerful colour, they are inexpensive, they are readily available year round at the supermarket, they taste great, the most complicated thing I have to do before I can eat one is to peel the skin, they can be eaten without the worry of getting one’s hands messy because they come with their own handy holder, the skin, , what would a banana split be without the banana and they are good for the body. This page has a long list of health Benefits of bananas, please give me anyone of them. Just the headings are needed.

2) …Benjamin. Benjamin is the youngest brother from the story of Joseph and the coat of many colours. The story originates from the Bible and is about twelve brothers, one of whom is favoured by his father and to whom the father gave a special coat. This infuriated ten of his brothers. They eventually decided to kill him (the favoured son, not the Dad) but at the last moment, sold him to some traders. Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice based their musical “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” on the Bible story. Please give me the names of any of Joseph’s brothers, excluding Benjamin.

3) …”Bali Hai”. The song is from the musical “South Pacific” by the song-writing duo of Rogers and Hammerstein. The story is set on a South Pacific island during World War II and tells of the relationships between the islanders and American Navy personnel. The story is drawn from James A. Michener’s “Tales of the South Pacific”. I watched the 1958 film on TV years ago and “Bali Hai” was my favourite song from the movie. “South Pacific” first opened on Broadway in 1949. It was nominated for ten Tony Awards and won all of them. Please name any of the Tony Awards won by the musical “South Pacific” during its original Broadway run.

4) …Bowling or more specifically ten-pin Bowling. Very briefly, the game involves rolling a heavy ball down a lane towards ten pins and trying to knock them all down. Some general things to note when bowling would be: make sure you have a pair of socks handy and that there are no visible holes in said socks, try not to let your ball roll into the gutters (drains) by the sides of the lane, pick a ball that you can actually lift without a lot of pain, and make sure your fingers fit neatly into the holes before swinging the ball (I swung my arm backwards once, you know the part just before you swing your arm forward to release the ball, and the ball dropped off my fingers and rolled backwards giving a lot of people a good laugh). From here, please give me a lane etiquette for ten-pin Bowling. Eight to choose from.

5) …”Boston Legal”. A TV show created by David E. Kelley about a law firm. It’s got quirky, make that downright strange, characters (and excellent actors who play them), weird cases and weird clients, funny (oftentimes), touching (sometimes), serious (occasionally) courtroom scenes, plus I really like the relationship between “Denny Crane” and “Alan Shore”. “Boston Legal” aired its two-hour series finale on 8 December. Please give me ANY episode title from its five seasons that has any word in it beginning with the letter ‘B’. I will miss the show.

This round will close on Sunday 14 December at midnight FT time.

#448409 - Tue Dec 09 2008 12:18 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 5, the Bulldog/Purple/White Round, will close in 24 hours. Plenty of time to get in your entry. New players always welcomed.

#448410 - Tue Dec 09 2008 03:19 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 4 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please give me the name of a credited John Wayne movie with a single-word title.

For 10 points: Pittsburgh (1942), Stagecoach (1939), McLintock! (1963), Brannigan (1975)

For 5 points: Tycoon (1947) – (2), Hondo (1953) – (2)

Not mentioned: McQ (1974), Chisum (1970), Hellfighters (1968), and others

2. Please select one of Burundi's seventeen provinces.

For 10 points: Rutana, Muramvya, Cibitoke, Ngozi, Bubanza, Karuzi, Kirundo, Kayanza

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Bujumbura Mairie, Bururi, Cankuzo, and others

3. Please choose another Nobel laureate in Physiology or Medicine who received their award during the 1950s.

For 10 points: Arthur Kornberg, Edward Kendall, Dickinson Richards, Philip Hench, Severo Ochoa, Werner Forssmann

For 5 points: Joshua Lederberg (2)

Not mentioned: Max Theiler, Selman Waksman, Hans Krebs, and others

4. Please take a look at the 'Favorite Exhibitions' page on the Smithsonian wesbite and pick any of the highlights listed there.

For 10 points: Star-Spangled Banner, Modern Japanese Ceramics, Stamps and Stories, Airmail Service, O. Orkin Insect Zoo, Sumatran Tigers

For 5 points: Freer and Egypt (2)

Not mentioned: Spirit of St. Louis, Komodo Dragons, Julia Child's Kitchen, and others

5. Please tell me a marshmallow shape that is currently or has ever been a 'regular' in the Lucky Charms cereal.

For 10 points: Stars, Diamonds, Hearts, Pots of gold

For 5 points: Leprechaun hats (2), Shooting stars (2)

Not Mentioned: Horseshoes, Clovers, Moons, Rainbows, Balloons, Hourglasses

Scores:

With 50 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby722, deputygary
With 40 points: brandz_mygirl, szabs, deepakmr
With 35 points: maninmidohio, denni19

Congratulations to Mugaboo, Gatsby722, and deputygary for their perfect scores, winning one December trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#448411 - Wed Dec 10 2008 03:16 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 10th December round
Q1 A film with brown in the title
Q2 A song title with brown in the title
Q3 A book title with brown in the title
Q4 Something that is traditionally brown
Q5 Something you can eat which is brown

This will close over the weekend

#448412 - Wed Dec 10 2008 01:12 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Results for Round 5 - The Bulldog/Purple/White Round

Seven great internet sleuths submitted answers to the Bulldog/Purple/White Round. Thanks to all for participating.

1. Go to the Garfield High (Seattle, WA) School’s web site and you will find at the bottom of their home page a link to the school’s tech wish list to attract donations from the community. Go to that list and tell me one of the items desired by the Bus & Tech Department.

For 10 Points:
QuickBooks software, DVD/Video player, Thermal printer to print ticket stock, Adobe Creative Suite 3 for Mac, and 30 20" iMac computers with at least 1G RAM 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
For 5 Points - OSX Server Software (Unlimited Users) (2)
Not Chosen - Ticketing software; high quality digital movie camera to film students in class; Apple Remote Desktop 3 (Unlimited Managed Systems); and iMac, 24", 2.8GHz Intel Core Extreme

2. At the Color Purple Bulldogs web site, tell me the caption on any of the pictures except for those under new litter boys.

For 10 Points:
Olivia & Catelyn; Olivia, Catelyn, & Sophia; and Cadence (white face)
For 5 Points: Cadence (2) and April’s new home in Indy (2)
Not chosen: Baako; Catelyn; Lovely Mann; Star’s new home in Ohio; and Miss Pigg’s new home in Indiana

3. On the Truman State University’s web site follow the “About Truman” link and then go to the “History of the University” link and tell me one of the non-twenty-first century presidents at Truman State.

For 10 Points:
Joseph Baldwin and Eli F. Mittler
For 5 Points: William D. Dobson (3) and Walter H. Ryle (2)
Not Chosen: William P. Nason, Joseph Blanton, John R. Kirk, Eugene Fair, F. Clark Elkins, Charles J. McClain, Robert A. Dager, and Russell G. Warren

4. On the Barnes & Nobles page for the “Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog” you can look under “Features” and see the whole first chapter. Please tell me the last word in any paragraph of that first chapter that has more than three vowels (Y will count as a vowel).

For 10 Points:
region, enemies, overdue, cicadas, and cause
For 5 Points: again (2)
Not Chosen: together, livery, Capital, Tatishcheva, Silence, and Zagulyai

(The Barnes and Nobles site seemed to produce different results for different players. I am not sure what caused it – different browsers, different screens, or what. The outcome was that some saw more paragraphs than others. Since the only match came in a paragraph that some players did not see, it seemed perfectly reasonable to accept those answers and therefore say there was not a problem with the question.)

5. From an article in the Arkansas Times on July 23, 2007, entitled “Death of a Purple Bulldog,” tell me a line from the school song of Leslie High or the name of the town the new high school is located in or the Arkansas county that town is the county seat of.

The full school song with chosen lines in bold:
Hail to the Purple
Hail to the White
Hail Alma Mater
Ever so Bright
We Love No Other – Ten Points
So Let Our Motto Be (3) - Five Points
Victory Leslie High (2) - Five Points
Through Eternity.

County Seat: Marshall
County: Searcy – Ten Points

The Results:
With 50 Points: brandz_mygirl
With 40 Points: deputygary and Gatsby722
With 35 Points: deepakmr, denni19, and szabs
With 25 Points: Mugaboo

Walking away with a perfect score and the coveted December Trivia Point is brandz_mygirl . Well done! Accomplishing the equally or even more difficult task of matching every answer is Mugaboo . Congatulations (or condolences) to both of you. To all who played, I again thank you.

#448413 - Thu Dec 11 2008 01:28 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Just under 24 hours to go for Round 8, folks ...

#448414 - Thu Dec 11 2008 09:14 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 11 - Thursday

1. There are exactly seven points on the crown of the Statue of Liberty, representing the seven continents and the seven seas. The seven continents are easy to name, but there is considerable disagreement on what bodies of water comprise the Seven Seas. This website on the Seven Seas gives three potential lists: a modern list, a navigable seas list, and an ancient list. Please tell me the name of any body of water listed on the site as a potential member of the Seven Seas.

2. John Updike is one of only three American authors to have been awarded the Pulitzer Prize for fiction twice. Both winning books (Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest) were from the Rabbit series. Other than Rabbit, Updike has three other series: Bech, Buchanan, and Eastwick. Please select a John Updike novel that is not a part of any of the above-named series.

3. The planet nearest the sun was named after Mercury, the swift-footed messenger of the gods, because of the speed at which it orbits the sun. In fact, Mercury's entire orbit lasts for a mere eighty-eight days. Please take a look at this NASA fact sheet and choose any element listed there as either a definite or possible component of Mercury's atmosphere.

4. Life Savers is an American brand of ring-shaped mints and fruit-flavored hard candy. The first ever Life Savers flavor was peppermint, introduced back in 1912. The Life Savers brand is currently owned by the Wrigley Company. Please locate the Life Savers brand on the Wrigley website, and pick a flavor of Life Savers candy that is available in the roll format.

5. Grauman’s Chinese Theatre has been a cornerstone of Hollywood for over 75 years, and over 200 hundred celebrities have made their mark in the theatre's forecourt. One of the more unusual imprints was left by Whoopi Goldberg, who made an impression of her dreadlocks as well as her feet. Other than Ms. Goldberg, please give me the name of another female celebrity who left her footprints/handprints at Grauman's Chinese Theatre after the year 1960.

This round will close on Tuesday, December 16th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#448415 - Fri Dec 12 2008 06:21 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 12 - Friday

One of my passions, brought onto me by my father, since I was very young are classic and vintage cars, so I am dedicating this round to some of these wonderful old faithfuls.

1. The Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) was founded in 1952 to celebrate the grand automobiles of the prewar period. A classic is a "fine" or "distinctive" automobile, either American or foreign built, produced between 1925 and 1948. From the Classic Car Club of America web site, please give me the name of a Grand Classic Car that starts with B, D or H.

2. Bugatti was founded in Molsheim, France, as a manufacturer of high performance automobiles by Ettore Bugatti, an Italian man described as an eccentric genius. The original company is legendary for producing some of the most exclusive cars in the world as well as some of the fastest. The Type 35 was the most successful of the Bugatti racing models, winning over 1,000 races in its time. It took the Grand Prix World Championship in 1926 after winning 351 races and setting 47 records in the two prior years. On the Bugatti site , go to Bugatti Models, click on the Type 35, please give me a 5 or more letter word found in the first two small paragraphs.

3. In 1913 the Duesenberg Brothers, Fred and August, founded Duesenberg Automobile & Motors Company, in Des Moines, Iowa, with the intention of building sports cars. Born in in Germany, the two brothers were self taught engineers and built many experimental cars. Duesenberg cars were considered some of the very best cars built at the time, and were built entirely by hand. Although the Duesenberg brothers were world class engineers, they were unable to sell their model A car, their first mass produced vehicle, which was considered very advanced. Instead, the company went bankrupt and closed. From this page please give me the year and caption underneath one of the pictures.

4. The legendary Hispano-Suiza was originally a Spanish-Swiss luxury automotive and engineering firm. Their quality cars were the choice of European industrial tycoons, Hollywood film stars, Indian Maharajahs and the World’s Royalty. Their engineering precision had been refined and they were the envy of the World’s leading motor car manufacturers. Swiss engineer Marc Birkigt was the genius behind Hispano-Suiza, both at the drawing board and in the engineering shops, and it was his design, the H6 model, that was unveiled to the World in 1919. Please give me a Hispano-Suiza car model manufactured after 1908.

5. The first Packard Motor Car was built in Warren Ohio in 1899 at the Packard Electric Company's subsidiary plant, the New York and Ohio Company. Manufacture of a successful automobile brought about the formation of the Ohio Automobile Company, which evolved into the Packard Motor Car Company in 1902. The 1903 Model F, was sent out on a transcontinental journey that year to test and market the durability of the Packard Motor Car in a trip from California to New York City. The famous endurance run of this car, dubbed "Old Pacific," was recreated in 1983. From the National Packard Museum site, would you please give me the year and model of one of the vehicles that is in their collection manufactured between 1903 to 1939.

Let's say we close this round on Wednesday the 17th of December noonish FT time, if you have any queries just PM me. Till then have a great weekend wherever you are .

Edited by szabs (Fri Dec 12 2008 08:05 AM)

#448416 - Fri Dec 12 2008 11:15 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 8 - Monday
"Miscellaneous Current Stuff"
Eight incredibly sensible players (thank you !)

1. Please tell me another terrorist strike that made the Top Ten over at Johnston's.

For 10 Points:
#3 August 20, 1978 - arson of theater in Abadan, Iran; #5 June 23, 1985 - mid-air bombing of Air India flight off Ireland, and attempted bombing of second flight in Canada
For 5 Points:
#2 August 14, 2007 - multiple car bombings in Al-Qataniyah and Al-Adnaniyah, Iraq (2); #7 August 8, 1998 - truck bombings of U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Saalam, Tanzania (2); #9 September 22, 1997 - attack at Ben Talha, Algeria (2)

The others listed: #4 September 1-3, 2004 - hostage taking at school in Beslan, Russia; #6 March 12, 1993 - 15 bombings in Bombay, India; #8 October 23, 1983 - truck bombings of U.S. Marine and French barracks, Beirut, Lebanon -and- #10 December 30, 1997 - attack at Ami Moussa, Algeria.

2. Look at the Timeline on that site and tell me an historic event - skipping all the factoids about the tree(s) themselves - that is highlighted for 1978, 1988 -or- 1998.

For 10 Points:
Atlantic City: Resorts International opens the first legal casino in the eastern United States on the Atlantic City boardwalk (1978); Glenn again: Astronaut and senator John Glenn returns to space at age seventy-seven aboard the space shuttle Discovery (1998);
For 5 Points:
Happy, Happy: Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” causes a sensation; Eli Lilly develops and debuts the anti-depressant Prozac just in case (1988) (2); Iran-Contra Affair: Oliver North and John Poindexter are indicted in an arms-for-hostages scheme conceived to help fund the Nicaraguan Contras (1988) (2); Jonestown massacre: Nine hundred members of Jim Jones’s Guyana-based cult, the Peoples Temple, commit mass suicide by drinking a cyanide-laced soft drink (1978) (2)

Test-tube baby: Louise Joy Brown, the world’s first “test-tube baby” (conceived through in vitro fertilization) is born in London (1978); CDs boom: Compact discs outsell vinyl albums for the first time (1988); Monicagate: President Clinton admits to an affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky and is impeached (1998) -and- Big Mac and Sosa: Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa chase, and eventually break, Roger Maris’s 1961 single-season home run record of 61 (1998) were the other mentionables.

3. This time, tell me a nominee for Best Traditional Folk Album or Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album (both in the 'Vocal or Instrumental' subcategories), OK?

For 10 Points:
"At 89" (by Pete Seeger), "Bring Me Home" (by Peggy Seeger) ... half- brother/sister there, by the way
For 5 Points:
"All I Intended To Be" (by Emmylou Harris) (2), "Coal" (by Kathy Mattea) (2), "Raising Sand" (by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss) (2)

"Comedians & Angels" (Tom Paxton), "Strangers In Another Country" (Rosalie Sorrels), "Day After Tomorrow" (Joan Baez), "I, Flathead" (Ry Cooder) and "Sex & Gasoline" (Rodney Crowell) are also nominated.

4. This time, I'd like to know a Broadway show that Frank Langella acted in during the course of his career - but no revivals. Only 'original plays', please.

For 10 Points:
Amadeus, A Cry of Players, Frost/Nixon, Passion, Seascape, Yerma
For 5 Points:
Sherlock's Last Case (2)

Mr. Langella was also in the original runs of "Match", "Fortune's Fool" and "Hurlyburly" ...

5. Please tell me an organization - with a three-word name to it - that appeared in Barnaby's World of Wonderment at the Castro Street Fair in 2008 -

For 10 Points:
House Of Herrera, Hubba Hubba Revue
For 5 Points:
Cornfield Electronics, Inc. (2), House of Salad (2), Il Teatro Calamari (2)

Pacific Ring Vaudeville, Twilight Vixen Revue and The Off Center are the others.

The Results!

40 Points! .... Mugaboo, zorba_scank
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, szabs
30 Points! .... deepakmr, denni19, deputygary, maninmidohio

Couldn't have been much closer than that (without an 8-way tie, or something), eh? Congratulations and a December Trivia point to both Mugaboo and zorba_scank for topping the leader board today. Thank you all for playing!

#448417 - Sat Dec 13 2008 04:30 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 13 - - Saturday 13th December

1. From here please give me one of the top to funniest ads of all time, according to the ad trade magazine "Campaign".

The winning ad was shot in Scotland by the River Dee - you would have thought they might have flown out to say, Winnipeg and filmed it there. The Winnipeg gliding club gives the James Dew Trophy to their best fight of the year. Please name any winner of the James Dew Trophy.

Not long ago, I decided to re-read a book I last read as a kid "Wings over Witchend" by Malcolm Saville. This is about someone who uses a glider to steal Christmas trees. Some of the members of the Lone Pine Club set about catching the villains. Please give my another book in the Lone Pine series.

That book opens on a train, and features three railway staions in Shropshire - Church Stretton, Craven Arms and Shrewsbury. Please name another currently open railway station in Shropshire.

The only train I've alighted from at a Shropshire railway station, was at Market Drayton (The line has since been axed by Mr. Beeching.). Market Drayton is known as the "Home of Gingerbread", even though it wasn't invented there. Please give me an ingredient, you would need to make Ginger Bread Men.

The round closed at noon on Thursday (FT time), please ask if you need any help.

#448418 - Sun Dec 14 2008 12:18 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round ten Results (Wednesday)
Q1 A film with brown in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
Brown’s Requiem (1998), Jackie Brown, 'Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown' (1977), Big Brown Eyes (1936), .‘Casanova Brown’, Boys in Brown (1949), The Unsinkable Molly Brown,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Tom Brown of Culver (1932) (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Tom Brown’s school days (various versions) and more

Q2 A song title with brown in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
Brown girl in the ring, Brown Eyed Handsome Man (Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Waylon Jennings, Paul McCartney, etc) , Little Brown Jug (Glen Miller), "White Boy Brown Girl" - Kill City, "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" (by Frank Zappa), ‘Lemonade and Brownies’, Old Brown’s Daughter, Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue, One Brown Mouse by Jethro Tull,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Brown eyed girl and more
NOT MENTIONED:
Brown eyed girl and more

Q3 A book title with brown in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
Brown on Resolution (by CS Forester), The Scandal of Father Brown (1935), Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective, 'Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down' by Donald J. Sobol, Alabama Brown" by Lorinda Hagen, The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown by Betsy Byars, Little Jack Rabbit and the Big Brown Bear by David Cory - 1921.,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
“The Man in the Brown Suit” – Agatha Christie (2)
NOT MENTIONED:
Tom Brown Schooldays and more

Q4 Something that is traditionally brown
FOR TEN POINTS:
Carboard box, Little Brown Jug (awarded to winner of Michigan-Minnesota football game),Deer, Habit of the Capuchin monks, Apple Butter, groundnut, Chiku (a tropical fruit that has a brown outer skin and brown (usually) flesh within), Fur of the brown bear, Riding Boots,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Brown sugar and more

Q5 Something you can eat which is brown
FOR TEN POINTS:
Gravy browning, Almonds, Chocolate, Bagel, Hush Puppies, Kellogg’s Chocos, Turkey gravy, Walnuts, Lentils,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Brown bread and more

SCORES - 9 players
Denni19 – 50
DeputyGary - 50
Gatsby – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
zorba_scank – 50

brandz_mygirl – 45
deepakmr – 45