Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#448419 - Mon Dec 15 2008 12:09 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 9 is closed. Will post results later today.

#448420 - Mon Dec 15 2008 09:43 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Dec 9 Round – Answers

Nine brilliant players for B is for.….

1) …Banana. This page has a long list of health Benefits of bananas, please give me anyone of them.
For Ten Points: Healthy kidney, Morning sickness – help to prevent morning sickness, Ulcers – help to reduce irritations and prevent ulcers
For Five Points: Heartburn – Soothing relief for heartburn (2), Nerves – improve nerve functions (2), Reducing depression (2)
Not mentioned: Anemia – help to prevent anemia, Blood Pressure – reduce risks of hypertension and strokes, Constipation & Diarrhea – help to maintain regular bowel movement, Eyesight Protection, Healthy Bones, Mosquito Bites – reduce itching and swelling, Smoking – assist in nicotine withdrawal, Stress Relief, Stroke Risk – reduce death by stroke.

2) …Benjamin. Please give me the names of any of Joseph’s brothers (from the story of Joseph and the coat of many colours), excluding Benjamin.
For Ten Points: Levi
For Five Points: Dan (2), Zebulon or Zebulun (2), Reuben (2), Simeon (2)
Not mentioned: Asher, Gad, Issachar, Judah, Naphtali,

3) …”Bali Hai”. Please name any of the Tony Awards won by the musical “South Pacific” during its original Broadway run.
For Ten Points: Best Featured Actor in a Musical (Myron McCormick), Best Musical, Best Original Score/Composer (Richard Rodgers), Producer (Musical) (Hammerstein, Rodgers, Hayward, Logan),
For Five Points: Best Featured Actress in a Musical (Juanita Hall) (3), Libretto (2)
Not mentioned: Best Actor in a Musical (Ezio Pinza), Best Actress in a Musical (Mary Martin), Best Director (Logan), Best Scenic Design (Jo Mielziner)

4) …Bowling or more specifically ten-pin Bowling. From here, please give me a lane etiquette for ten-pin Bowling.
For Ten Points: Be ready when it’s your turn
For Five Points: Confine your bowling to your own lane (2), Never bowl in street shoes (2), Remain behind your fellow bowler while he/she is bowling (2), Wait for the bowler to your right to deliver his/her ball if you’re both bowling at about the same time (2)
Not mentioned: Observe the foul line even in casual play, Avoid using someone else’s ball without permission, Limit swearing and bad language as much as possible

5) …”Boston Legal”. Please give me ANY episode title from its five seasons that has any word in it beginning with the letter ‘B’.
For Ten Points: Beauty and the Beast, BL – Los Angeles, Brotherly Love, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, It Girls and Beyond, New Kids on the Block, The Bad Seed, The Bride Wore Blood, Truth Be Told,
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: There are another 11 episode titles that meet the criteria. I don’t think I will list them out here though. You may check them out at Imdb.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Mugaboo Well done on being the sole winner of this round!

Other Results:
40 points: Nakarinna
35 points: Maninmidohio, Deputygary, Deepakmr, Denni
30 points: Gatsby, Zorba_Scank, Szabs

Thank you to all the players. Wishing everyone reading this post a pleasant week.

#448421 - Mon Dec 15 2008 12:40 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 11 will close in just over 23 hours...

#448422 - Mon Dec 15 2008 05:58 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 16 - Tuesday

It's already Tuesday in my corner of the world so I thought I'd better get rid of this as soon as possible .
For this round we'll talk about various Stephen/Steven/Steve 'stuff'.

1. Stephen or Steven is an English masculine first name, derived from the Greek name Stephanos, meaning "crown/garland". Its use was first recorded in Homer's "Iliad", which is one of the two ancient Greek epic poems traditionally attributed to Homer, depicting events that take place during the final year of the Trojan War.
**Please pick any character (major or not so major) in "Iliad", whose name starts with the letter "P".

2. Steven Spielberg is probably the best known director in Hollywood and worldwide. He has countless big-grossing, critically acclaimed credits to his name, as producer, director and writer. He once declared that: "I'll probably never win an Oscar, but I'll sure have a lot of fun! I really believe that movies are the great escape!" [I am really sorry that I couldn't find the date/year and circumstances of this quote, it would have been very interesting to know them]
Well, over the years he DID win some Oscars and many, many other awards.
**Please name any award that Steven Spielberg has won for "Best Director". - I humbly ask you to specify in your answer the name of the award, the year it was won and the film title. Thank you!

3. Stevensville, a small community in southern Ontario, Canada, is the birthplace of Canadian entrepreneur James L. Kraft, inventor of processed cheese and founder of the multimillion dollar J.L. Kraft & Bros. Company, which later became Kraft Foods Inc.
**I would kindly ask you to go to Kraft Canada's website/homepage and use their left-side "Make It Now" recipes searcher. Using "cheese", "egg" and "tomato" as your ingredients and "Dinner" as your type of meal, tell me one of the 15 results/recipes they come up with .

4. Steve Perry (Stephen Ray Perry) is an American singer and songwriter best known as the lead vocalist of the rock band Journey from 1978-1987 and 1995-1998. He provided lead vocals on nine of Journey's albums, bringing a completely new pop sound to the band's initial progressive rock music. For the 14 years Perry was the lead vocalist of Journey, he helped them to sell nearly 80 million albums worldwide.
**I'd like you to name any other former member of Journey.

5. Project Steve is a list of scientists with the given name Stephen (or any variation of it) who "support evolution". It was originally created by the National Center for Science Education (NCSE) as a "tongue-in-cheek parody" of creationist attempts to collect a list of scientists who "doubt evolution".
The project began in 2003 and its original goal was to collect the signatures of 100 "Steves", but this goal was reached in about 10 days. As the news of Project Steve spread by word-of-mouth, ever-increasing numbers of Steves contacted the NCSE, and the list continued to grow.
**Please pay a visit to the National Center for Science Education official website, find their list of NCSE Events and give me the title OR location of any event scheduled for year 2009.

Round 16 will be closed on Saturday - noon FT time.
Have fun !

#448423 - Tue Dec 16 2008 01:25 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday Dec 15 – Quiz

I am interrupting my regular scheduled alphabet-based rounds. Normal schedule will recommence the Christmas week.

Pet names. The questions look long but is mostly me reminiscing about my family pets when I was growing up. The actual questions are straightforward and short.

1) Lassie was a stray puppy abandoned in a box by the roadside, together with her sister. (I get absolutely angry when people do that!) Lassie was of mixed breed, had dull orangey/light brownish short shaggy hair (I don’t think I had even started school when Lassie came to live with us) and was terribly fierce with strangers but she loved us her family and was incredibly patient with us kids. Lassie the stray puppy was named for Lassie the wonder collie.

The first Lassie movie was “Lassie Come Home” based on a story written by Eric Knight. The movie starred Roddy McDowall. Roddy McDowall was a wonderful actor with a long prolific career. A close friend and confidante of Elizabeth Taylor, it was said that he had no enemies and was liked by everyone he knew. Please name another movie that Roddy McDowall appeared in that was released in the 1940s.

2) Rover was a mother dog of mixed breed that was heavily pregnant when she crept into our garden. She stayed with us for a short while before she and her puppies had to be sent to the RSPCA. We couldn’t keep them and no one was looking for a lost dog. She was likely a stray but I remembered her as being very friendly and allowed us (the kids) to handle her puppies. We named her Rover. From here, please give me a one-word related word to Rover. No proper nouns please.

3) Monique was a dachshund that belonged to a friend of my dad. The friend was migrating overseas with his family and decided to give their dog up for adoption. Monique was 5 or 6 when she moved in, was seriously overweight, terribly spoiled by her previous family and she had the most melting brown eyes I had ever seen. Whenever she did something wrong, she would look at you with those eyes and you would forgive her. I think those eyes contributed to why she had been so spoiled. Dachshunds are prone to spinal injury because of their long spine, short ribcage and their generally active nature. Please proceed to the website of the Dachshund Rescue of North America and go to their “Who We Are” page. From the first paragraph of that page, please give me any word that consists of 4-or-more letters AND which begins with any of the letters found in “MONIQUE”.

4) Shandy was my family’s dog before Brandy. (People have asked if our next dog is going to be Whisky) Shandy is also beer that’s been flavoured with lemonade or some other soft drink. Please proceed to the Wikipedia page on Shandy and give me the name of a country that appears in the article. For purpose of this question, the U.K. is not a country but its components are.

5) Meowy – My family has kept dogs for as long as I can remember, but we also had two cats along the way. Both were strays. Cat no. 1 appeared one day and stayed. She was already pretty old as far as we could tell. She refused to stay indoors and roamed the night away, returning the next morning for food, and hugs and kisses from us kids before we left for school. I think we were kind of a hotel for her. Cat no. 2 turned up as a tiny scrawny little kitten who followed my sister and I when we were leaving the dentist. We adopted her against my father’s objections (he prefers dogs). Both cats were named by us children and were called Meowy (pronounced Meow-ee) or Meowy I and II when we were trying to be specific. People sniggered at the name but we liked it.

This page has several lists of top 10 cat names depending if your cat is a boy, girl, big, small etc. Please give me one of the top 2 names from any list on that page. Hmm, a few of the lists fall short of 10 names but no matter as it won’t affect this question.

This round will close on Sunday 21 December at noon FT time. Thanks.

#448424 - Tue Dec 16 2008 05:08 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Sorry to post this here. I wanted to change a word in question 5 of Round 15, "against my father's objections" to "over my father's objections" but I can't seem to find the EDIT tab. All I see are 3 tabs in my post which are: REPLY, QUOTE and QUICK REPLY. Help anyone?

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Dec 16 2008 05:09 AM)

#448425 - Tue Dec 16 2008 12:04 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 11 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please tell me the name of any body of water listed on the site as a potential member of the Seven Seas.

For 10 points: Mediterranean Sea, South Pacific Ocean, Arctic Ocean, Black Sea, Caribbean Sea, Caspian Sea

For 5 points: Indian Ocean (2)

Not mentioned: Antarctic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, Red Sea, and others

2. Please select a John Updike novel that is not a part of any of the above-named series.

For 10 points: Gertrude and Claudius (2000), In the Beauty of the Lilies (1996), Of the Farm (1965), Marry Me (1977)

For 5 points: Terrorist (2006) – (2), Seek My Face (2002) – (2)

Not mentioned: The Poorhouse Fair (1959), The Centaur (1963), Couples (1968), and others

3. Please take a look at this NASA fact sheet and choose any element listed there as either a definite or possible component of Mercury's atmosphere.

For 10 points: Krypton, Carbon Dioxide, Oxygen, Neon, Potassium, Sodium

For 5 points: Helium (2)

Not mentioned: Hydrogen, Argon, Water, Nitrogen, Xenon

4. Please locate the Life Savers brand on the Wrigley website, and pick a flavor of Life Savers candy that is available in the roll format.

For 10 points: 5 Flavors, Butter Rum, Sweet Mint, Spear-O-Mint, Orange Mint, Wint-O-Green, Tropicals, Pep-O-Mint

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Wild Cherry, Cryst-O-Mint, Wild Berries

5. Other than Ms. Goldberg, please give me the name of another female celebrity who left her footprints/handprints at Grauman's Chinese Theatre after the year 1960.

For 10 points: Emma Watson, Rhonda Fleming, Nichelle Nichols, Meryl Streep, Sherry Lansing, Angela Lansbury, Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds

For 5 points: none

Not Mentioned: Natalie Wood, Sophia Loren, Joanne Woodward, and others

Scores:

With 50 points: Gatsby722, szabs
With 45 points: brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo, deputygary, deepakmr
With 40 points: zorba_scank, maninmidohio

Congratulations to Gatsby722 and szabs for their perfect scores, winning one December trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Edited by nakarinna (Tue Dec 16 2008 12:05 PM)

#448426 - Tue Dec 16 2008 12:06 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a quick reminder that Round 12 will be closing in about 24 hours, plenty of time to send in your entries, new players are more than welcome to join in .

#448427 - Tue Dec 16 2008 09:28 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Posting these early because 1.) I think I should go to bed now because, 2.) I think I have important-ish things to do tomorrow morning (but am not quite sure) ...

Round 17 ~ Wednesday

The 'Time' magazine "Year's End" issue was previewed/sent this week. I read it, as much as possible. Here's some of what it said (with a few twists and turns thrown in) ...

1. In a year so full of world situational hotbeds, 'Time' looks at everything in our lives. Including what and how we spend (or don't spend), think, aspire to, and even eat. Inasmuch, they chose as the Top Food Trend the sudden lean towards "Recession dining". Gourmet magazine's editor has shifted her spin on 'cuisine' most notably in recent months, what with economical roller coasters in place everywhere at the moment. Fewer are the references to, say, 'crab-brie fondue' (and the like). Instead she disses about 'ham-and-cheese grits' ~ available at a much more palatable $4 a pop . There's been nothing ever wrong with budget-sensible meat loaf, o' course - but it's now becoming both popular and *cool* ... accd.g to Gourmet, at any rate. But eating should always be a pleasure, too - so let's talk about cookies, shall we? The aforementioned Gourmet magazine has chosen its *Favorite Cookies*, per year, for decades. Name one of their Favorite Cookies since (and including) the year 2000.

2. The Top Novel selected has been out since 2004? Well, it's only been available in English in the past year, however - thus its inclusion in an American-based magazine as a current year standout. The book is "2666" by Roberto Bolaño, which the article calls 'baffling, maddening, difficult, violent, obscene, over-indulgent, under-edited and way too long'. Never mind that its title number appears nowhere in the tale, either. It's also cited as being 'a work of anger and anarchy that laughs bitterly at the idea of tidy resolutions.' Chilean author Bolaño died of liver disease in 2003 at just 50 years old - but left behind a strong body of work (and a sturdy and finely controversial reputation as well). Another acclaimed [and posthumous] book of his was a collection of short stories released in 2006. Please tell me a story (excluding the *title* story) in Roberto Bolaño's "Last Evenings on Earth".

3. Sometimes, a person is such a rascal, so inflammatory to the mass psyche, that the mere act of doing anything gets them on the front pages in a hurry. Such is the case of the reptilian O.J. Simpson who, to no one's surprise, nabbed Time Magazine's Top Crime Story for 2008. No alleged murders this chapter ~ this year he only decided to waltz into, aka "break into", a Las Vegas hotel to 'steal back' (?) sports memorabilia and personal mementoes he claimed were still his - but had fallen into the hands of two dealers. Off to prison for scoundrel O.J. - possibly 33 years in the slammer this time (but up for parole in nine ... appeals pending). There really was a time when Simpson was a hero of sorts. A fine football player. An idol and/or hero of many young boys. He has certainly become the opposite of that young man who was up for college football's Heisman Trophy in 1967. 'Time' magazine named their Top 10 Heisman Trophy Winners and, since they're the periodical du jour, tell me one of their selections.

4. A significantly odd choice this year (or so I thought) was the magazine's pick for Top Movie. WALL-E, a Pixar animated feature, was truly a fine example of many things, though. It had a grand dose of heart to it, amazing craftsmanship and some very interesting 'devices' (a large part of the movie has almost no dialogue, for example ... and the two main characters - an amiable but lonely trash compacter and his to-die-for space princess EVE - were given NO emotional signifiers; no mouths, eyebrows, shoulders, elbows, and so forth). And, still, it all came together. We were hooked and hoping like crazy that WALL-E would get his gal. Funny. More than one critic compared this jazzed-up, played-down lil' masterpiece to the bells once rung by the likes of Hepburn and Tracy! Great imaginative (and smart) stuff indeed. Have a look at the movie's official site (no Wikipedia lists ) and tell me one of the characters they spotlight from WALL-E - excluding the title 'dude' or his lady, EVE.

5. It really did get to be a bit much ... and it's no wonder Time chose *Change* as the Top Buzzword of 2008. Naturally, it was the pervasive theme and/or philosophy of Barack Obama and his successful US Presidential campaign. But it went beyond just that. It seemed that the whole idea was to change everything ... just because it seemed pretty clear that our country needed some, and every amount of it seemed urgent. But "change" is good, and what life is all about. Or so I tend to believe, anyway. However, we'll be closing with a more literal spin on the now-beaten-dead word: *change*: the stuff that jingles in one's pocket or purse. We've counted up our spare *change* today, and rustled up eight quarters - that'd be 2 US dollars. Yay. This means that we can buy two things at Taco Bell for lunch! This time, tell me the two different items you will purchase from Taco Bell's Value Menu using only our pocket change. Stay away from the Regular Menu. We can't afford it .

This'll close up Sunday around noon. Have fun! See you in a few days, then ....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Dec 29 2008 03:31 PM)

#448428 - Wed Dec 17 2008 05:29 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Hmmm. I can't edit MY post either - but I need to make a correction on Question 5. We are spending eight quarters, not four. I'm sure you all would've figured that out on your own ... but it doesn't read quite right, so is thus clarified .

#448429 - Wed Dec 17 2008 01:59 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 12 - Friday8 mighty fine players participated in this classic and Vintage car round.

1. The Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) was founded in 1952 to celebrate the grand automobiles of the prewar period. A classic is a "fine" or "distinctive" automobile, either American or foreign built, produced between 1925 and 1948. From the Classic Car Club of America web site, please give me the name of a Grand Classic Car that starts with B, D or H.

For 10 Points : Brough Superior, Dorris, BMW, Hispano-Suiza, Darracq, Humber
For 5 Points : Delhaye (2)
Among Others: Blackhawk, Delaunay Belleville, Hotchkiss and many more to choose from.

2. Bugatti was founded in Molsheim, France, as a manufacturer of high performance automobiles. The original company is legendary for producing some of the most exclusive cars in the world as well as some of the fastest. The Type 35 was the most successful of the Bugatti racing models, winning over 1,000 races in its time. On the Bugatti site , go to Bugatti Models, click on the Type 35, please give me a 5 or more letter word found in the first two small paragraphs.

For 10 Points : Numerous, Categories, Model, Various
For 5 Points : Driven (2), Could (2)
Among Others: racecar, started, races, different, regulations, compressor, automobile

3. In 1913 the Duesenberg Brothers, Fred and August, founded Duesenberg Automobile & Motors Company, in Des Moines, Iowa, with the intention of building sports cars. Duesenberg cars were considered some of the very best cars built at the time, and were built entirely by hand. From this page please give me the year and caption underneath one of the pictures.

For 10 Points : A 1913 Duesenburg with Fred Duesenburg standing beside it, 1923 Duesenberg Model A Pace Car, 1924 Duesenberg Straight Eight Convertible Sedan
For 5 Points : 1919 Duesenburg Model A Bender Coupe(2), 1927 Duesenberg Model X Sports Roadster Boatail (3)
Among Others: (12 to choose from) 1914 Kline-Duesenburg Racer, 1922 Duesenberg Model A 2-4 Coupe Fleetwood, 1922 Duesenberg-racer

4. The legendary Hispano-Suiza was originally a Spanish-Swiss luxury automotive and engineering firm. Their quality cars were the choice of European industrial tycoons, Hollywood film stars, Indian Maharajahs and the World’s Royalty. Please give me a Hispano-Suiza car model manufactured after 1908.

For 10 Points : T26, T30, 56, T60, T64
For 5 Points : T49 (3)
Among Others: (17 to choose from) Alfonso XIII, 32HP, H6C, K12

5. The first Packard Motor Car was built in Warren Ohio in 1899 at the Packard Electric Company's subsidiary plant, the New York and Ohio Company. Manufacture of a successful automobile brought about the formation of the Ohio Automobile Company, which evolved into the Packard Motor Car Company in 1902. From the National Packard Museum site, would you please give me the year and model of one of the vehicles that is in their collection manufactured between 1903 to 1939.

For 10 Points : 1911 Model 30 Flying Squad Car, 1925 Packard Six Sedan, 1937 V-12 Convertible Coupe
For 5 Points : 1903 Packard Model F Two Passenger Runabout (2), 1931 Model 833 Sport Phaeton (2)
Among Others: (14 to choose from) 1910 Model 30 Touring Car, 1927 Sterling Knight Sedan, 1917 Model E 3-Ton Packard Truck

Scores

We have one sole winner with 50 points : Maninmidohio
With 45 points: Nakarina
With 40 points: Deputygary, Gatsby722
With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo
With 30 points: Deepakmr, Denni19

A hearty congratulations goes out to our sole winner in this round with a perfect score of 50 points to Maninmidohio , who will receive one trivia point for December. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and I wish you all a great week.

#448430 - Thu Dec 18 2008 12:11 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 29 - 8 played

1. From here please give me one of the top to funniest ads of all time, according to the ad trade magazine "Campaign".
For 10 points: John Smiths 'wardrobe monsters'; Fedex Fast Paced World; Orange 'snoop gold spot'; Budget Rent a Car 'jet propulsion'
For 5 points: John West Salmon 'bear' [4]
Not mentioned: Blackcurrant Tango 'St George'; Hamlet 'photo booth'; Carling Black Label 'dambusters'; Heineken 'majorca'; Castlemaine XXXX 'wife'

2. Please name any winner of the Winnipeg gliding club's James Dew Trophy.
For 10 points: Russ Flint; Jim Oke
For 5 points: Bruce Armstrong [2]; Ian Oldaker [2]; Dave Tustin [2]
Not mentioned: Matt Chislett; Frank Cwikla; Chuck Fisher; Dave Hennigar; Mike Maskell; Frits Stevens; Paul Tingskou; J. Vermeulen

3. Please give my ar book in the Lone Pine series.
For 10 points: Lone Pine London; Mystery at Witchend; Mystery Mine; Not Scarlet But Gold; Seven White Gates; The Neglected Mountain; Treasures at Amorys; Where's My Girl
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Lone Pine Five; Rye Royal; The Elusive Grasshopper; The Secret of The Grey Walls

4. Please name a currently open railway station in Shropshire.
For 10 points: Albrighton; Broome; Cosford; Ludlow; Oakengates; Prees; Wellington; Yorton
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Knighton; Shifnal; Telford; Wem

5. Please give me an ingredient, you would need to make Ginger Bread Men.
For 10 points: Eggs; Ginger; Green liquid food colouring; Vanilla extract
For 5 points: Butter [2]; Cinnamon [2]
Not mentioned: Sugar; Flour and more depending on the exact recipe.

Scores:

45 points: Denni19; Gatsby722; Maninmidohio; Nakarinna
40 points: Deepakmr; Deputygary
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Szabs

What a cut and thrust round. It ended in a four way tie, so Denni19, Gatsby722, Maninmidohio and nakarinna all go home with a point.

#448431 - Fri Dec 19 2008 08:33 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 19 – Friday

Back in my high school days at Hamburg High (Rah! Rah! For the Purple and White!), one of the most memorable experiences was taking part in our senior play, “Arsenic and Old Lace.” My part as Mr. Witherspoon, the sanitarium owner, was small, but still a lot of fun. This will be the Arsenic and Old Lace Round in memory of that performance.

1. “Arsenic and Old Lace” premiered on Broadway on January 10, 1941. William Parke was in my role as Mr. Witherspoon and Boris Karloff played Jonathan Brewster (there are many lines in the play referring to how much Jonathan looks like Boris Karloff). Tell me one of the other actors in that premiere performance.

2. Joseph Kesselring was the author of “Arsenic and Old Lace.” I found several references to him having written twelve plays of which “Arsenic and Old Lace” was his only success. I could not find a list of all of these plays but did find a couple listed on various web sites. You may either tell me one of these other plays written by Joseph Kesselring or alternately you can look at the Imdb site for Kesserling and tell me one of the foreign language titles of a non-English version of Arsenic and Old Lace (these were all TV productions).

3. Joseph Kesselring had been a teacher of vocal music at Bethel College in North Newton, Kansas before he left to become an actor and vaudevillian. It was while he was at Bethel College that he lived in the Goerz house during a time when it was used as a faculty residence. It is thought that the stage set for the play is based on the living room of the Goerz house which has a very distinctive window seat that is used to good effect in the play. Please tell me another use that Bethel College has used Goerz house for since they acquired it in 1921.

4. Arsenic is a chemical element that has the symbol As and atomic number 33. It is the most poisonous of the metalloid group of elements. Go to the Wikipedia site on Arsenic Compounds and tell me a two word compound that begins with the word “Arsenic.”

5. Needle lace is a type of lace created using a needle and thread to stitch up hundreds of small stitches to form the lace itself. In its purest form the only equipment and materials used are a needle, thread and scissors. From Wikipedia tell me the name of a type of needle lace that is neither embroidered nor cut work.

The Arsenic and Old Lace Round will close on Wednesday, December 24. However, I probably will not be able to report the results until after December 28. I want to wish you all the joy of this Holiday Season.

#448432 - Fri Dec 19 2008 10:52 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 18 - Thursday

1. The Laurence Olivier Awards are presented in recognition of outstanding artistic performances in London theatre, much as the Tony Awards celebrate Broadway's theater. Please name a show that won the Best New Musical prize at the Olivier Awards during the 1990s.

2. Ethanol, or ethyl alcohol, has been researched as a potential fuel for a number of applications, including rockets. Please take a look at this table of 'properties of rocket propellants' (scroll down) and pick a rocket propellant compound listed there.

3. The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World is the first known list of the most remarkable man-made creations of classical antiquity. Many of these structures were built in honor of someone, either god or mortal. Please select one of these ancient wonders or the person to whom it was dedicated. (Only those people/gods not mentioned explicitly in the name of the wonder will count.)

4. Xanadu was the name of Charles Foster Kane's Florida mansion in the 1941 film classic Citizen Kane. Please choose another fictional house from the movies (no television).

5. Three of EPSN's 'Top 100 North American Athletes of the 20th Century' were racehorses. These legendary racers are Secretariat (#35), Man o' War (#84), and Citation (#97). Please take a look at the National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame and give me another (i.e., not Secretariat) equine inductee whose name begins with the letter 'S.'

This round will be open through the end of the year, as I will be out of town until then. Please PM me with any questions, but keep in mind that I may not be able to answer promptly. Good luck!

#448433 - Fri Dec 19 2008 10:56 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to let you know that I will not be able to post rounds on Christmas Day or New Year's Day, as I will be out of town for the holidays. I will be able to host again the first full week of January. In the meantime, happy holidays!

#448434 - Sat Dec 20 2008 01:20 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 16 is now closed. I am hoping to have the results ready sometime tomorrow.
Thank you all who played this round and apologies for not replying to each and everyone . My 'leisure' time is very limited for the moment.

Have a fine weekend all!

#448435 - Sat Dec 20 2008 09:25 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Reminder that Round 15 will be closing in about 14 1/2 hours times.

#448436 - Sun Dec 21 2008 11:20 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 17 - Wednesday
"Time Magazine's 'Best Of ...', 2008"
Seven summarily superlative players

1. The aforementioned Gourmet magazine has chosen its *Favorite Cookies*, per year, for decades. Name one of their Best Cookies since (and including) the year 2000.

For 10 Points:
Maida Heatter’s Chocolate Cookies with Gin-Soaked Raisins (2000), Rugelach (2004), Glittering Lemon Sandwich Cookies (2008)
For 5 Points:
Mini Black-and-White Cookies (2005) (4)

In order (by year), the others were: Cranberry Turtle Bars (2001), Stained-Glass Teardrops (2002), Honey Nut Squares (2003), Pistachio Cranberry Icebox Cookies (2006) and Trios (2007).

2. Please tell me a story (excluding the *title* story) in Roberto Bolaño's "Last Evenings on Earth".

For 10 Points:
Anne Moore's Life, Henri Simon Leprince, A Literary Adventure, Sensini, Vagabond in France and Belgium
For 5 Points:
Enrique Martin (2)

7 other stories could have been chosen ....

3. 'Time' magazine named their Top 10 Heisman Trophy Winners and, since they're the periodical du jour, tell me one of their selections.

For 10 Points:
Ernie Davis (1961), Archie Griffin (1974 & 1975), Barry Sanders (1988)
For 5 Points
Glenn Davis (1946) (2), Doug Flutie (1984) (2)

Doak Walker (1948), Paul Hornung (1956), Roger Staubach (1963), Herschel Walker (1982) and Reggie Bush (2005) round out the list.

4. Have a look at the movie's official site (no Wikipedia lists ) and tell me one of the characters they spotlight from WALL-E - excluding the title 'dude' and his lady, EVE.

For 10 Points:
Auto, BRL-A, GO-4, HAN-S, L-T
For 5 Points:
VAQ-M (2)

Which left M-O, VN-GO, PR-T -and- D-FIB in the 'trash-compacting' dust today .

5. This time, tell me the two different items you will purchase from Taco Bell's Value Menu using only our pocket change. Stay away from the Regular Menu. We can't afford it.

For 10 Points:
Cheesy Double Beef Burrito + Soft Taco (= $1.88), Cheesy Double Beef Burrito + Big Taste Taco (= $1.88), Cheese Roll-Up + Bean Burrito (= $1.78), Cheese Roll-Up + Triple Layer Nacho (= $1.68), Big Taste Taco + Bean Burrito (= $1.98)
For 5 Points:
Crunchy Taco + Bean Burrito (= $1.88) (2)

I put this question up specifically to see if there'd be a repeat or two in answers, what with the rainbow of combinations available. I thought it'd never happen. It did !

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio, Mugaboo
40 Points! .... denni19, deputygary
35 Points! .... deepakmr
30 Points! .... szabs

Congrats, then, to brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio and Mugaboo for topping the board in a very close match. For the record (not that anybody asked, o' course) --- the person who spent the most frugally on lunch at Taco Bell? That'd be deputygary. The one who spent the closest to all our 'change'? The big spender was brandz_mygirl. The difference between the two (not-so-nutritious) meals? A whopping 30¢.
Have a great holiday week, folks!

#448437 - Sun Dec 21 2008 10:34 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Dec 15 Round – Answers

Six “woofing-ly” wise and wonderful players for Pet Names

1) Please name another movie (other than “Lassie Come Home”) that Roddy McDowall appeared in that was released in the 1940s.
For Ten Points: Black Midnight (1949), Molly and Me (1945), On the Sunny Side (1942), The Keys of the Kingdom (1944)
For Five Points: My Friend Flicka (1943) (2)
Not mentioned: I counted 26 movies that Mr. McDowall appeared during the 1940s. That’s a whole lot of movies, way too many to list here.

2) From here, please give me a one-word related word to Rover. No proper nouns please.
For Ten Points: Buccaneer, Freebooter, Peripatetic, Picaroon
For Five Points: Tourist (2)
Not mentioned: Bum, Corsair, Drifter, Floater, Gad, Gadabout …. There are a further 25 words to choose from that meet the requirements.

3) Please proceed to the website of the Dachshund Rescue of North America and go to their “Who We Are” page. From the first paragraph of that page, please give me any word that consists of 4-or-more letters AND which begins with any of the letters found in “MONIQUE”.
For Ten Points: Mostly, Organization
For Five Points: Network (2), United (2)
Not mentioned: Experienced, Independently, Information, Mixes, Most, Needy, Non-profit.

4) Please proceed to the Wikipedia page on Shandy and give me the name of a country that appears in the article. For purpose of this question, the U.K. is not a country but its components are.
For Ten Points: Austria, Colombia, Spain, The Bahamas
For Five Points: Chile (2)
Not mentioned: Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Namibia, New Zealand, Portugal, Slovenia, South Africa, Switzerland, USA.

5) This page has several lists of top 10 cat names depending if your cat is a boy, girl, big, small etc. Please give me one of the top 2 names from any list on that page.
For Ten Points: Casper, Fabio, Harry, Morris
For Five Points: Tank (2)
Not mentioned: Baby, Bruiser, Max, Midnight, Misty, Oscar, Princess, Rusty, Sassy, Sam, Shadow, Sheba, Snowball, Tiger, Tiny.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Mugaboo, Deputygary and Deeparkmr Nice work in winning this round!

Other Results:
35 points: Maninmidohio, Szabs and Gatsby

Thank you to all the players. Happy Christmas wishes to everyone!

#448438 - Mon Dec 22 2008 12:23 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 22 ~ Monday

Now that it's almost over, I reckon it's time to pay a little homage to 2008 ... The International Year of the Potato (as declared by the United Nations, no less ). Spuds are a timely topic, too, most might agree. One would expect that a great many of them will be mashed, gravied, baked, scallopped, julienned and peeled as the next several days progress, yes?

1. At Washington State University they take their spuds mighty seriously. To wit, they even have a Mission Statement thereto: "To identify new potato varieties and cultural and postharvest management practices that will provide profitable production for the grower, improved competitiveness for the Washington potato industry, a healthy, inexpensive food supply for American consumers, and a sustainable environment." They have a lot of data to work with since, accd.g to Potatoes at WSU, there are 575 varieties of the tubers to pick from. To begin, please tell me one of those varieties (from the Washington State website only) that begin with the letter *W*.

2. Was one-time US Vice President Dan Quayle an intellectual lightweight, as was widely suspected? Hard to say ... but he certainly did make his share of publicized blunders when it came to almost ALL sides of the English language and its [mis]uses. His most famous 'oops' was perhaps when he corrected student William Figueroa's correct spelling of "potato" as "potatoe" at an elementary school spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey, on June 15, 1992. Quayle was said to have been relying on a spelling-bee card on which the word had been misspelled (and few believed that explanation for a minute ). Over on the Potato Museum website they have honored ol' Dan, among other notable "tater" moments in time, displaying a Dan Quayle *Potatoe* Gallery - seven images/cartoons that memorialize the VP's (entirely embarrassing) incident. Kindly tell me one of the captions underneath any of those 7 images.

3. While not official, Hartsdale, New York is considered the birthplace of the American "Couch Potato" since, in 1928, the town receieved the first successful trans-Atlantic television broadcast. The actual term was first coined in 1976, however, by a friend of American Underground comics artist Robert Armstrong. In the early-1980s, he registered the term as a trademark with the U.S. government; he also co-authored a book with Jack Mingo, called "The Official Couch Potato Handbook", which explores the daily doings of the many proud couch potatoes at work (or not?) in the USA. Forbes' Magazine took a slightly more serious approach to the situation, o' course. I'd like to know one of Forbes' Top Reasons You're A Couch Potato ...

4. Vivian Joiner and Stephanie Tyson are the owners of "Sweet Potatoes" ~ it's a restaurant in the trendy Arts District of Winston Salem, North Carolina. They serve unique, southern-inspired, uptown (yet down-home) cooking. Their lunch menu consists of soups, salads and sandwiches, etc. - but the dinner menu there is much more impressive. Heck, sounds pretty mouth-watering, if you ask me (but I can't get enough Southern food, so I'm biased). Please tell me an entree on the dinner menu at 'Sweet Potatoes' Restaurant at 29 North Trade Street in North Carolina.

5. Opal Whiteley, spotlighted on this site, was a nature writer/diarist whose childhood journal was published in 1920 as "The Story of Opal: The Journal of an Understanding Heart". Opal's tale took an odd turn, though . Later in life, she claimed to have been adopted. Her "real" name was Françoise de Bourbon-Orléans ... and [ahem] she had really been born to French royalty!? Was her 'diary' authentic? Was she schizophrenic, as many now suspect? No one's totally sure ... but the diary HAS become a cherished standard in American literature over time. Parts of Chapter 6 in it read (since we're talking potatoes, thematically): "Today the grandpa dug potatoes in the field ... when they were in piles, I did stop to take looks at them ... and after I did look those looks as I did go along, I did count the eyes that every potato did have, and their numbers were in blessings." Finally, I'll ask for a chapter title (whose number is divisible by four) in The Diary of Opal Whiteley.

This will close up on Friday, around noon. The day after Christmas (which sounds a bit odd to say)!
Happy Holidays, everybody !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Dec 22 2008 06:29 AM)

#448439 - Tue Dec 23 2008 02:39 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Because I will not be able to post the results of Round 19 - The Arsenic and Old Lace Round until next week, I am going to extend the submission deadline to noonish (FT time) on Sunday, December 28. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.

#448440 - Wed Dec 24 2008 02:46 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England

Wednesday 10th December round
It ‘twas the night before Christmas …
Therefore it’s a Christmas themed round! For those who do not celebrate Christmas, may I wish you all “Happy Holiday”? : ) This round will probably close on Sunday/Monday!

Q1. Name me a present my true love sent to me during the Twelve days of Christmas
Q2. A Christmas movie
Q3. One of Santa’s reindeers
Q4. A way of cooking potatoes
Q5. Something you associate with December

#448441 - Wed Dec 24 2008 09:06 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday Dec 23 – Quiz

C is for…. . I did think of making this round non-Christmas related but I was already late in getting the round out and didn’t have a lot of time to think of questions so it’s another Christmas round I’m afraid. “Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la, la la la la.…..”

1) From here, please tell me “How ‘Merry Christmas’ is said….” in any language that begins with the letter ‘C’. For this question, Cantonese and Mandarin will be considered as two separate languages under the main Chinese language.

2) Christmas leftovers of turkey and other foods are an almost inevitable part of the occasion.
This site has some suggestions of what to do with Christmas leftovers. Please give me any of the suggested recipes under the headings Turkey –or- Ham –or- Roast Beef. The recipe should be a ‘clickable link’, one of those bold bulleted points under each heading.

3) The Christmas Mountains in Northumberland, New Brunswick are named after Santa’s reindeers. Please give me the name of a peak in Christmas Mountains.

4) Christmas fruitcake is a tradition. It’s been said that you either love fruitcake or hate it, there are no in-betweens, kind of like what’s been said of people’s reactions upon tasting vegemite. The Society for the Protection and Preservation of Fruitcake’s main aim is to “protect and preserve fruitcake” and “provide safe haven for fruitcake lovers and some encouragement for others to give it a try.” Please proceed to the homepage of the society and from the Your Recipes link, kindly give me the name of any fruitcake recipe shown on that page. There are 11 to choose from.

5) One of the oldest professions in the world …….Chimney sweeping.( Not mentioning any other possible oldest professions here) When I think of chimney sweeps, the image of “Bert” from “Mary Poppins” pops up which I know is a totally unrealistic view of chimney sweepers and their profession. Chimney sweeping is actually a specialized profession by skilled laborers who maintain all types of venting systems, apart from the traditional ones. Please give me the name of any of the training courses run by NACS (the National Association of Chimney Sweeps) for its members.

Yay! I’ve finally managed to complete all 5 questions, have been working on it on and off all day. It’s been a busy few days. This round will close on Sunday 28 December at midnight FT time. I’m sorry for yet another late round. (Update: Was about to post, then realized I had to change Q1 to avoid repeating a question from JaneMarple’s round. I think Q3’s all right though, hopefully. I don’t think I can make any more changes at the moment.)

Happy Christmas Everyone!

#448442 - Fri Dec 26 2008 09:01 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 22 will be closing in app. 24 hours ...

#448443 - Fri Dec 26 2008 12:20 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26 Friday

Seeing that today is the 26th of December, and in many parts of the world it is a Holiday I am dedicating this round to Boxing Day.

1. Boxing Day is celebrated on the 26th of December, it is an official public holiday in United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Australia, as well as many other members of the Commonwealth of Nations, although it is also celebrated in many other countries around the world. It is based on the tradition of giving gifts to the less fortunate members of society. Contemporary Boxing Day in Australia and Canada is a "shopping holiday" associated with after-Christmas sales. Could you please give me another country that celebrates Boxing Day as a holiday.

2. St. Stephen's Day, is a Christian saint's day celebrated on the 26th of December, honouring the first Christian martyr, stoned to death shortly after the Crucifixion. St. Stephen's Day is a national holiday in Ireland, but the celebrations have little connection to the Saint. In Ireland, St. Stephen's Day is the day for Hunting the Wren or Going on the Wren. According to Celtic myth it said that the robin that was supposed to represent the New Year killed the wren which represented the Old Year during this time. Wren Boys blacken their faces and go from house to house asking for money to bury the wren. The money they collect is used to buy food and drink for the "wren dance" held on this night. From this page , please give me a line from the Wren Boys song.

3. St. Stephen also happens to be the patriot saint of horses, in some countries like Austria it is customary to bless horses on this day, in other countries like England Boxing Day became associated with horse-racing and hunting. The most famous of races held on Boxing Day is the King George VI chase, held at Kempton Park Racecourse in London. The King George VI Chase is a Grade 1 National Hunt horse race for four-year-old and above horses. It is run over a distance of 3 miles (4,828 metres), and there are 18 fences to be jumped. Many horses have won it more than once, Desert Orchid, one of the most famous and popular winners, has held the title four times. Please give me the name of a horse that has won the King George VI Chase, after 1970.

4. In Australia, it is also the day the peril-fraught Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race begins, the boats leave Sydney heading south for 630 nautical miles (1,170 km) through the Tasman Sea, past Bass Strait, into Storm Bay and up the Derwent River, to cross the finish line in Hobart, Tasmania, the annual race draws challengers from around the globe. Racing yachts are expected to again join the blue-water classic despite the dangers of the sea which in 1998 caused the deaths of six sailors when the yachts ran into a violent storm. Out of 115 yachts only 44 completed the race, 55 sailors had to be airlifted from their yachts by rescue helicopter, five boats sank and six sailors died. Today is the 10th anniversary of the tragic race, would you be so kind and give me the name of one of the men that died or the yacht they were on in the 1998 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race.

5. Many important historic events have taken place on the 26th of December throughout the years, from the Wikipedia page would you please give me the year and an Event, that has occurred on the 26th of December. (no births or deaths please)

I will close this round a bit later than usual giving everyone enough time to recover from the New Year festivities, it will close on Sunday the 4th of January at noon FT time, if you have any queries just PM me. In the meantime I wish you all a Happy & Healthy New Year!

(Edited to include question 5 that I somehow left out )

Edited by szabs (Fri Dec 26 2008 02:51 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002