Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#448444 - Sat Dec 27 2008 04:47 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 27 - - Saturday 27th December

1. Go to this Sports quiz and tell me one of the ten people who are quoted in the quote of the year section. (Note - 3 are given for you, if you are more ambitious you'll need find an answer to one for the other 7)
2. Name a member of the Latin Monetary Union, when it was in existence between 1865 and 1927.
3. Name a current viola player with the Berlin Philhamonic Orchestra.
4. Bonnie, a 30-year-old female orangutan living at the Smithsonian National Zoological Park in Washington has been whistling - no great shakes you may say, but it's never been heard of before, by any primate apart from humans. Please give me any other primate at the zoo.
5. Name any movie that starred Eartha Kitt.

The round will close early Friday morning, Happy new year to you all.

#448445 - Sat Dec 27 2008 10:21 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 22 - Monday
"Potatoes"
Five dauntless participants this (hectic Holiday) time

1. To begin, please tell me one of those varieties (from the Washington State website only) that begin with the letter *W*.

For 10 Points:
White Baron, Wyred
For 5 Points:
White Pearl (3)

The others are Wallowa Russet, Warba, Western Russet, White Lady, White Rose, Willamette and Winema.

2. Kindly tell me one of the captions underneath any of those 7 images (in The Dan Quayle *Potatoe* Gallery).

For 10 Points:
"Washington Post, June 20, 1992"
For 5 Points:
"Philadelphia Daily News, June 16,1992" (2)"; Quail Cove brand potato (with an "e") bag, Corwith Farms, Inc., Water Mill, NY" (2)

"*Nose It All,* 1999 calendar (Everyone Nose a Nose-It-All), Accord Publishing Inc., Denver, CO", "Dan Quayle as a potato head", "Satirical campaign button" and "1998 Lew Little Enterprises Dist. United Features" round out the list of Dan-bashing captions .

3. Forbes' Magazine took a slightly more serious approach to the situation, o' course. I'd like to know one of Forbes' Top Reasons You're A Couch Potato ...

For 10 Points:
Nobody Else Is Doing It; You Just Don't Have Time; You're All Out Of Self-Control
For 5 Points:
You're Intimidated (2)

You're In Pain; It Costs Too Much; It's Not As Easy As It Was In High School; You Don't Like Exercise; It's The Environment, Stupid -and- It Isn't Safe are the other so-called excuses - if one feels the need to use one. Personally, I think couch potato-ing is a privelege and needs no explanations .

4. Please tell me an entree on the dinner menu at 'Sweet Potatoes' Restaurant at 29 North Trade Street in North Carolina.

For 10 Points:
Catfish Nola, Drunken Pork Chops, Gullah Shrimp and Crab Pilau, Stuffed Whole Trout, V.V. Mamma's Meatloaf

6 other entrees to pick from ...

5. Finally, I'll ask for a chapter (whose number is divisible by four) in Opal Whiteley's Diary.

For 10 Points:
Chapter 8 -- How Opal Takes a Walk in the Forest of Chantilly; she Visits Elsie and her Baby Boy, and Explains Many Things to the Girl that Has no Seeing /// Chapter 12 -- Of Elsie's Brand-New Baby, and all the Things that Go with it; and the Goodly Wisdom of the Angels who Bring Folks Babies that Are like them /// Chapter 20 -- Of the Little Song-Notes that Dance about Babies; and of the Solemn Christening of Solomon Grundy /// Chapter 28 -- How Opal Piped with Reeds, and what a Good Time Dear Love Gave Thomas Chatterton Jupiter Zeus /// Chapter 32 -- Of the Ways that Fairies Write, and the Proper Way to Drink in the Song of the Wood

The other acceptable chapters? Chapter 4 -- How Peter Paul Rubens Goes to School /// Chapter 16 -- Of the Woods on a Lonesome Day, and the Friendliness of the Wood-Folks on December Days when you Put your Ears Close and Listen /// Chapter 24 -- How the Mamma's Wish Came True, and how Opal was Spankedfor it, and of the Likes which Aphrodite Had for a Clean Place to Live in /// Chapter 36 -- Of Taking-Egg Day, and the Remarkable Things that Befell thereon.

The Results!

50 Points! .... deepakmr
45 Points! .... maninmidohio
40 Points! .... Mugaboo
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, szabs

Bravo! to deepakmr for managing a perfect score and earning a December Trivia Point. Thank you, everyone, for finding the time to play this week, too - I know the past several days have been a race against many clocks for most of us.
Have a fine weekend and an even finer week to follow it !

#448446 - Sun Dec 28 2008 06:16 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Results for Round 19 – Arsenic and Old Lace Round

There were six participants in the extended Arsenic and Old Lace Round. Thanks to all for playing.

1. Tell me one of the other actors (besides Boris Karloff and William Parke) in the premiere Broadway performance of “Arsenic and Old Lace.”

For 10 Points:
Jean Adair (Martha Brewster), Wyrley Birch (The Rev. Dr. Harper), Bruce Gordon (Officer Klein), Henry Herbert (Mr. Gibbs), John Quigg (Officer Brophy), and Anthony Ross (Officer O'Hara). Ten Points all! Well done.
Not Chosen:
John Alexander (Teddy Brewster), Helen Brooks (Elaine Harper), Josephine Hull (Abby Brewster), Allyn Joslyn (Mortimer Brewster), Edgar Stehli (Dr. Einstein), and Victor Sutherland (Lieutenant Rooney)

2. You may either tell me one of these other plays written by Joseph Kesselring or alternately you can look at the IMDB site for Kesserling and tell me one of the foreign language titles of a non-English version of “Arsenic and Old Lace.” I had trouble finding the names of all of the plays by Kesserling but most of our players found them on the German Google site and no one gave one of the foreign language titles of “Arsenic and Old Lace.”

For 10 Points: “Four Twelves are 48”; “Addie Appleby, Maker of Men”; “Maggie MacGilligan“; and "A Frog in His Pocket"
For 5 Points: "Mother of That Wisdom. A Historical Play in Two Acts" (2)
Not Chosen: Plays – “Cross-town”, “There’s Wisdom in Women”, “Jig, Lisp and Amble“, "Identically Yours", "Solomon's Mother", "Surgery Is Indicated", and "Accidental Angel"
Non-English titles - Arsenicum en oude kant, Arsenik i stare cipke, Arsenicum en oude kant, Arsenic et vieilles dentelles, "Ahududu", Arsènic i puntes de coixí, and Arsenik og gamle kniplinger

3. Please tell me another use (besides faculty residence) that Bethel College has used Goerz house for since they acquired it in 1921.

For 10 Points:
hosted study rooms, offices of a local Mennonite conference, and campus reception center
For 5 Points: college infirmary (3)
Not Chosen: student residence, guest house, YMCA, social meeting place for the Kansas Institute of International Relations, and president’s residence

4. Go to the Wikipedia site on Arsenic Compounds and tell me a two word compound that begins with the word “Arsenic.”

For 10 Points:
Arsenic pentachloride, Arsenic trifluoride, and Arsenic trioxide
For 5 Points: Arsenic triiodide (3)
Not Chosen: Arsenic pentafluoride, Arsenic pentoxide, Arsenic tribromide, Arsenic trichloride, Arsenic triselenide, and Arsenic trisulfide

5. From Wikipedia tell me the name of a type of needle lace that is neither embroidered nor cut work.

For 10 Points:
Point de France, Argentan, Armenian, and Point de Gaze
For 5 Points: Punto in Aria (2)
Not Chosen: Point de Venise, Alençon, Argentella, Hollie Point, Youghal, and Limerick

The results:
With 45 Points: deputygary, Gatsby722, and Mugaboo
With 40 Points: brandyz_mygirl and deepakmr
With 35 Points: szabs

So hearty congratulations go out to the stalwart trio of deputygary, Gatsby722, and Mugaboo who each get the great honor of walking away with a December Trivia Point. It was a very close round and I, again, thank all who played.

Happy New Year to all!

#448447 - Mon Dec 29 2008 01:00 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 23 is closed. Results will be out later today.

#448448 - Mon Dec 29 2008 08:03 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 24 closes later today

#448449 - Mon Dec 29 2008 10:19 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Here are the long due results for Round 16.
I am sorry they come so very late but life was quite horrible with me in the last 10 days or so, with my Mum having a stroke and having to be put into a hospital, where she died 4 days later - on the night of December 23rd.
The next few days were hectic with everything that needed to be done and the sadness of losing my Mum didn't allow me to focus much on other things.

So here are the results for...

ROUND 16 – Tuesday – The Stephen/Steven/Steve round

7 faithful players for this one - Thank you all very very much !

1. Please pick any character (major or not so major) in "Iliad", whose name starts with the letter "P".

10 points ALL: Poseidon, Phoenix, Pandarus, Priam, Paris, Polydamas, Polypoetes

Not mentioned: There are more “P” names available, but seeing that there were no double answers I think it’s irrevelant to mention the other options

2. Please name any award that Steven Spielberg has won for "Best Director".

10 points: 1999 Empire Award (“Saving Private Ryan), 1983 David di Donatello Award (Foreign Film - “E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial), 2003 Empire Award (“Minority Report), 1982 Saturn Award (“Raiders of the Lost Ark”), 1978 Saturn Award (“Close Encounters of the Third Kind”)

5 points: 1982 BSFC Award (“Raiders of the Lost Ark”) [2]

Not mentioned: 1994 Academy Award (“Schindler’s List”), 2003 Critics Choice Award (“Catch Me If You Can”), 1987 NBR Award (“Empire of the Sun”), and a few more others.

3. I would kindly ask you to go to Kraft Canada's website/homepage and use their left-side "Make It Now" recipes searcher. Using "cheese", "egg" and "tomato" as your ingredients and "Dinner" as your type of meal, tell me one of the 15 results/recipes they come up with.

10 points ALL: 30-Minute Tomato Macaroni and Cheese, Mini Swiss Cheese Tartlets, Spicy Chicken Lasagne Roll, All-in-One Spaghetti Frittata, Kraft Dinner Cheesy Spinach Bake, 4 Cheese Quiche Bites, Lasagne alla Carne

4. I'd like you to name any other [apart from Steve Perry] former member of Journey.

10 points: Jeff Scott Soto, Larrie Londin, Bob Glaub, Prairie Prince, Mike Baird

5 points: Randy Jackson [2]

Not mentioned: Stevie Roseman, Gregg Rolie, George Tickner, Steve Smith, Aynsley Dunbar, Robert Fleischman, Steve Augeri

5. Please pay a visit to the National Center for Science Education official website, find their list of NCSE Events and give me the title OR location of any event scheduled for year 2009.

10 points: Old Gallery Evansville Museum of Arts History and Science, What Will the Creationists Do Next?

5 points: Darwin's Legacy in Science and Society [2], Valley Life Sciences Building - University of California - Berkeley, California [3]

Not mentioned: Bigfoot and Other Wild Men of the Forest, Why Evolution Is Taught in North Carolina Schools, Darwin: The man, his science, and his legacy, Visit the Grand Canyon with Scott and Gish!, Axis Café – 1201 8th Street - San Francisco, CA, Wright Auditorium - East Carolina University - Greenville, NC, Burney Center - University of North Carolina – Wilmington, NC

The RESULTS for Round 16 are:

With 50 points: Szabs and Maninmidohio – Well done!

With 45 points: Deputygary and Gatsby

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl and Mugaboo

With 35 points: Deepakmr

Congratulations to Szabs and Maninmidohio for their perfect scores and for grabbing one December point each .

#448450 - Mon Dec 29 2008 11:18 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

(Denni, am very sad to hear the news. Have sent you a PM. Hugs.)

Monday Dec 29 – Quiz

D is for….

1) Doc Holliday was the nickname of dentist/gunfighter, John Henry Holliday, best known for his involvement in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, Arizona in 1881. John Henry earned his living as a professional gambler but continued practicing dentistry on the side. He died of tuberculosis in 1887 at the age of 36. Please name another person involved in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral or the then-Sheriff of Cochise County who later testified in court as a witness to the gunfight.

2) “The Dark Knight” is one of the top movies of 2008 and probably best remembered for Heath Ledger’s final (and, I thought, superb) performance as the psychotic “Joker”. There are a lot of top movies list out there, every critic seems to have their favourites. I did notice that “The Dark Knight” appears on quite a number of lists. From either here -or- here, please give me one of the best movies of 2008, excepting “The Dark Knight” of course.

3) The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund was founded in 1978 to save gorillas and their habitats in Africa. Dr. Fossey studied gorillas in Rwanda, Africa, over a period of 18 years and actively promoted anti-poaching patrols. She was strongly opposed to gorillas being captured for zoos citing the killing of many of the animals’ family members during their captures, that the animals often do not survive the transportation to the zoos and that they do not live as long or as well, away from their natural habitats. She also opposed the financial exploitation of gorillas through tourism. Dian Fossey was found murdered in her cabin at the Karisoke Research Center in Rwanda on Dec 26, 1985. Her murder has never been solved. Dian Fossey wrote the book “Gorillas in the Mist” which was made into a movie and released in 1988. From the website of The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, under the Life Facts section on Mountain Gorillas, please give me any one of the eight frequently asked questions.

4) Deborra-Lee Furness is an Australian actress, mother and wife. Her husband loves the waves, is often seen playing with the kids and oh, he’s an actor too. Please name a movie that the husband has starred in anytime from the year 2000 to 2008.

5) Diamonds and dogs, apart from both beginning with the letter ‘D’, are similar because both are our best friends according to the old sayings. From this page, please give me any quote about best friends that is a maximum of two sentences long. Warning: Some of the quotes are mushy to the extreme. There are a few that I really like though.

This round will close on Sunday 4 January at noon FT time. Happy New Year wishes to everyone.

#448451 - Tue Dec 30 2008 03:06 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 10th December results

Q1. Name me a present my true love sent to me during the Twelve days of Christmas
FOR TEN POINTS:
Three french hens, six geese a laying, five gold rings, four calling birds, Nine Ladies Dancing,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
partridge in a pear tree (2),

A Christmas movie
FOR TEN POINTS:
A Christmas Story, Santa's Slay (2005), The Nutcracker Prince (1990), Christmas in Connecticut (1945), Christmas in July,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Die hard (2),

One of Santa’s reindeers
FOR TEN POINTS:
Dasher, Cupid, Prancer,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Vixen (2), Donner (2),

A way of cooking potatoes
FOR TEN POINTS:
Potato scones, Tater tots, crisps/potato chips, Patatas Brava ,Steam cooked,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Baked (2) ,

Something you associate with December
FOR TEN POINTS:
Snow, Hogmanay, year end bonus, Time Person of the Year comes out in Time Magazine – December Issue, Boxing day cricket test match in Australia,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
New Year’s Eve (2),

SCORES - 7 players
Brandz_mygirl – 45
Deepakmr – 45
Mugaboo – 45
Szabs – 45
Deputy Gary – 40
Gatsby – 40
Maninmidohio – 35

Well done to Brandz_my girl, Deepakmr, Mugaboo and Szabs
Massive hugs for Denni xxx

#448452 - Tue Dec 30 2008 08:16 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Dec 23 Round – Answers

Five ‘Fab’ players for C is for….

[1) From here, please tell me “How ‘Merry Christmas’ is said….” in any language that begins with the letter ‘C’.
For Ten Points: Catalan: Bon Nadal i un Bon Any Nou!, Choctaw: Yukpa, Nitak Hollo Chito, Columbia: Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo, Cree: Mitho Makosi Kesikansi, Croatian: Sretan Bozic
For Five Points: None.
Not mentioned: Chile: Feliz Navidad, Chinese: (Cantonese) Gun Tso Sun Tan'Gung Haw Sun, Chinese: (Mandarin) Kung His Hsin Nien bing Chu Shen Ta, Cornish: Nadelik looan na looan blethen noweth, Corsian: Pace e salute, Crazanian: Rot Yikji Dol La Roo, Czech: Prejeme Vam Vesele Vanoce a stastny Novy Rok
Someone rightly pointed out that the Columbia greeting looked somewhat Spanish. And does anyone know where in the world Crazanian is spoken?

2) This site has some suggestions of what to do with Christmas leftovers. Please give me any of the suggested recipes under the headings Turkey –or- Ham –or- Roast Beef.
For Ten Points: Baked Eggs with Ham & Sherry, Quick Sauce for Boxing Day Leftover Turkey, St Stephen’s Day Pie
For Five Points: Gnocchi with Creamy Ham (2)
Not mentioned: Beef Rolls, Cold Turkey with Potatoes and Anchovies, Country Ham Pie, Horseradish Sauce, Potted Turkey, Smashed Peas with Cold Ham, The Beef Eater Sandwich, Turkey Bolinhas, Turkey with Bacon Peas and Cream.

3) Please give me the name of a peak in Christmas Mountains.
For Ten Points: Mount Blitzen, Mount Dancer, Mount Dasher, Mount Donder, Mount Prancer
Not mentioned: Mount Comet, Mount Cupid, Mount St. Nicholas, Mount Vixen, North Pole Mountain.

4) Please proceed to the homepage of the society (Society for the Protection and Preservation of Fruitcake) and from the Your Recipes link, kindly give me the name of any fruitcake recipe shown on that page. .
For Ten Points: Linda’s Ice Box
For Five Points: Luana’s 30 day (2), Joy Ward’s Applesauce (2)
Not mentioned: Caity’s, Janet’s Fruitcake with Peach Preserves, Mama Nessa’s, Pumpkin, Quick ‘n’ Easy, Sandra Stanfill’s Southern, Sandy Foster’s Recipe for Dark, Sherry’s Southern, Tom’s Plantation, White.
All answers above come with the word ‘fruitcake’ at the end EXCEPT for Janet’s. And there are 13 recipes, not 11 as I had previously indicated.

5) Please give me the name of any of the training courses run by NACS (the National Association of Chimney Sweeps) for its members.
For Ten Points: Advanced Training Part 5 : Flue Smoke Testing Procedures
For Five Points: Ladder/Roof Safety Training and Certification (2), Master Member Examination (2)
Not mentioned: There are 11 courses and you can click here to read up on the other 8.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Szabs Excellent work in coming out tops!

Other Results:
40 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby and Maninmidohio
35 points: Deepakmr

Huge thanks to the Fab Five!

#448453 - Tue Dec 30 2008 11:33 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 30 - Tuesday, December 30th

We've recently had a new prime minister appointed here in Romania. We usually use the word "Premier" when speaking about the head of government [but we also use "Prim Ministru" - very close to the English term, yes? ].
So for today we'll play with PREMIER.

1. PREMIER Soccer League (PSL) is the trading name of the National Soccer League of South Africa.
-- Give me the name of a current PSL team playing in the Premier Division. (I'd recommend checking with the PSL official website )

2. PREMIER Rides is an amusement ride manufacturer who produces various style of roller coaster, flume rides, drop towers, go-karts and observation towers.
-- From the Premier Ride's website, come up with any of the technical specification for their Pipeline Coaster.

3. The R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company released in 1988 a smokeless cigarette - PREMIER. It worked by heating and aerosolizing tobacco flavour and was intended to reduce or eliminate the unhealthy side effects associated with smoking, both to the smoker and to the people around the smoker.
-- Name any other cigarette brand coming to us from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company.

4. PREMIER Book Awards gives recognition for books of oustanding merit by independent publishers and small presses. The awards are presented for book length fiction and non-fiction titles, in various categories, published in the English language and targeted for a North American market.
-- Please pick any of the 2008 Fiction Winners. (First, second or third place)

5. PREMIER Percussion Limited is an English manufacturer of drums and percussion instruments. Their products are used in many musical areas from traditional drum sets for 'regular' bands to orchestral drums, pipe bands and drum corps/marching.
-- I want you to visit the Premier Percussion's website and give me a colour available for the Gen-X model.

I'll close this round on Saturday, January 3rd - around noon FT time.

#448454 - Wed Dec 31 2008 04:53 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 31 ~ Wednesday

Closing up the year with (what else?) a bit o' Trivial Pursuit 'shuffling'. And, just so you know I don't shop through for topics that I like (I roll the dice and take what I get, I really do!) let me say this: I'd rather have touched anything other than the following question on Sweden. Spectroscopy? Ye Gods indeed . But, as we all know, there's some sort of information on just about everything, yes?

1. Arts & Entertainment is the first card, and it asks "Who was the first actress to star opposite Sean Connery in a James Bond movie?" The lovely Ursula Andress would be the answer there. Ursula Andress (born March 19, 1936) is a Golden Globe award-winning Swiss actress and was a major sex symbol of the 1960s. She is perhaps best known for her roles as not just one, but two Bond girls: Honey Ryder in Dr. No and Vesper Lynd in Casino Royale (the 1967 James Bond spoof). Over on Cult Sirens Miss Andress (deservedly) appears on their "Sirens List" - amongst many other fetching ladies who have decorated the silver screen over the years. Please tell me a woman on their list whose surname begins with the letters B, O, N or D.

2. On to Science & Nature: "What fashion maven's home was wiped out by Hurricane Gloria in 1986 after Pat Robertson prayed that it change course so as to avoid HIS house?" Isn't Pat Robertson, in a few words, annoying and self-serving and probably even dangerous ? After Gloria got done with him and his residence, I'm sure Calvin Klein thought so. I wonder if anyone bothered to mention to Pat that the hurricane's direction was decided by A LOT bigger things than his mean-spirited prayer? He'd likely not have heard it, if so. Anyway (and just because I happen to own one - even though I haven't worn it for years) ... Kindly tell me a neck tie available from Calvin Klein's, as listed on his official website. 17 to pick from.

3. Eeek. Now it's the dreaded History category . "What earlier cargo caused the Mayflower to emit a sweet smell?" Probably just had to be spices or booze, yes? Maybe both? Turns out it was wine. Not that the Pilgrims were too familiar with the smell of strong drink, one would tend to suspect? Plymouth Hall, built in 1824, is a museum in the center of historic Plymouth, Massachusetts where the Mayflower landed. It's the USA's oldest continuously–operating public museum and houses an impressive array of Pilgrim possessions ~ among them William Bradford’s Bible, Myles Standish’s sword, the cradle of New England’s first–born (Peregrine White) and the great chair of William Brewster. What I need to know, though, is the NAME of any painting in the Plymouth Hall collection of 'History Paintings'. A few pieces have the same names but are by different artists. Thus, the title of ANY of them will cover ALL of them, OK?

4. People & Places finds us next. "What Scandinavian country last fought in a war in 1814?" Sweden is the peace-loving country in question - a status achieved after a good long period of skirmishes and power juggling with Norway. BUT, that same year a certain Anders Jonas Ångström was born in Medelpad, Sweden as well. He later became a groundbreaking physicist and one of the founders of the science of spectroscopy, originally the study of the interaction between radiation and matter as a function of wavelength. Ultimately, the scientific measure 'angstrom' (equal to .1 nanometer, which is approximately 1/250 millionth of an inch) is named after him. In Frederick, Maryland exists the The Society for Applied Spectroscopy, a nonprofit organization formed to advance knowledge and information concerning the art and science of spectroscopy, and other allied sciences. Tell me one of the Short Courses, Mini Courses or Clinics and Workshops offered by said society, OK?

5. And, last but not least, comes the Wild Card: "What divine diva once worked as a "chief chunker" in a pineapple cannery?" Yay. I knew that one in a hurry, since I'm a pretty big fan of Miss Bette Midler (she was born in 1945 while her Dad was a painter on a Navy base in Honolulu). Her celebrity has become quite large in these 30+ years - but my favorite Midler album has always been one of her "quieter" ones, a record not so loaded with hits or original ballads/anthems. In fact, 1977's "Broken Blossom" is a collection of 'covers' - our Bette sings everything from Edith Piaf's signature tune to a jazzy duet with Tom Waits to a standard from a Walt Disney movie. Pretty great stuff ~ despite that the LP only reached #51 on Billboard's album chart. Easy enough to close today -- just tell me a track off of Bette Midler's "Broken Blossom". Thank you veddy much.

Happy Happy New Year, my friends ! I look forward to sharing your journeys, your wit, your endless smarts and your systematically congenial sensibilities in 2009 . This particular Round will close up Sunday. Or maybe Monday.
Sometime next year, at any rate ....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Jan 04 2009 05:19 PM)

#448455 - Fri Jan 02 2009 08:16 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 27 - 6 played

1. Go to this Sports quiz and tell me one of the ten people who are quoted in the quote of the year section.
For 10 points: Ian Poulter; David Sullivan
For 5 points: Simon Davey [2]; Robinho (Robson de Souza) [2]
Not mentioned: Michel Platini; Jonathan Woodgate; Marc Lievremon; Del Potro; Kevin Keegan; Adrian Boothroyd

2. Name a member of the Latin Monetary Union, when it was in existence between 1865 and 1927.
For 10 points: Belgium; France; Spain; Venezuela
For 5 points: San Marino [2]
Not mentioned: Austria-Hungary; Bulgaria; Greece; Italy; Montenegro; Papal States; Romania; Serbia; Switzerland

3. Name a current viola player with the Berlin Philhamonic Orchestra.
For 10 points: Neithard Resa; Martin Stegner
For 5 points: Ulrich Knörzer [2]; Naoko Shimizu [2]
Not mentioned: Micha Afkham; Julia Gartemann; Matthew Hunter; Sebastian Krunnies; Walter Küssner; Martin von der Nahmer; Zdzislaw Polonek; Wilfried Strehle; Wolfgang Talirz

4. Bonnie, a 30-year-old female orangutan living at the Smithsonian National Zoological Park in Washington has been whistling - no great shakes you may say, but it's never been heard of before, by any primate apart from humans. Please give me any other primate at the zoo.
For 10 points: Cleander (Ring-tailed Lemur); Joven (Red-ruffed Lemur); Kwame (Western Lowland Gorilla); Milo (White-cheeked Gibbon); Ralph (White-cheeked Gibbon); Reubin (Black Howler Monkey)
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Quite a few more, but I not the likes of John Berry (Zoo Director) as he doesn't live there.

5. Name any movie that starred Eartha Kitt.
For 10 points: Erik the Viking; Ernest Scared Stupid; The Serpent Warriors; Up the Chastity Belt
For 5 points: Ill Gotten Gains [2]
Not mentioned include: Fatal Instinct; I Woke Up Early the Day I Died; The Emperor's New Groove

Scores:

50 points: Szabs
45 points: Deputygary
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Maninmidohio
35 points: Gatsby722
30 points: Deepakmr

A good spread of results for this round, which makes it all the more impressive that Szabs came away with the point.

#448456 - Sat Jan 03 2009 11:47 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a little reminder that Round 26 will be closing in about 24 hours, plenty of space for more entries and all newcomers are welcome.

#448457 - Sat Jan 03 2009 02:04 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 30 is now closed and the results will be posted tomorrow. I promise .

#448458 - Sun Jan 04 2009 10:05 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 31 - Wednesday
"Trivial Pursuit"
Seven talented players

1. Please tell me a woman on "Cult Sirens" list whose surname begins with the letters B, O, N or D.

For 10 Points:
Angela Bassett, Sybil Danning, Mamie Van Doren,
For 5 Points:
Florinda Bolkan (2), Daria Nicolodi (2)

Leaving Stephanie Beacham, Halle Berry, Julie Newmar, France Nuyen and several others not mentioned on this one.

2. Kindly tell me a neck tie available from Calvin Klein's as listed on his official website. 17 to pick from.

For 10 Points:
Classic pinstripe, Skinny box print, Skinny multistripe, Skinny neat print, Tonal stripe
For 5 Points:
3 color pinstripe (2)

Lots more to pick from. Skinny, neat, plaid, striped, etc. - a necktie for every occasion. And then some.

3. What I need to know, though, is the name of any painting in the Plymouth Hall collection of 'History Paintings'.

For 10 Points:
The Mayflower at Sea
For 5 Points:
Embarkation of the Pilgrims (2), The Landing of the Pilgrims (2), The Mayflower & Speedwell in Dartmouth Harbor (2)

Nobody chose "Ships in Harbor (Dutch seascape)", "Departure of the Pilgrims from Delft Haven", "The Signing of the Compact in the Cabin of the Mayflower", "The Mayflower on Her Arrival in Plymouth Harbor" or "The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth".

4. Tell me one of the Short Courses, Mini Courses or Clinics and Workshops offered by said (spectroscopy) society, OK?

For 10 Points:
Chemical Speciation of Environmental Samples: Techniques and Applications, Chemometrics in Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy, Delivering Chemistry Instruction via the Internet, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometry, IR and Raman Chemical Imaging
For 5 Points:
Biological Infrared Spectroscopy (2)

'A Graphical Approach to Chemometrics', 'Capillary Electrophoresis: Rapid and Efficient Analysis of Organic and Inorganic Compounds' -and- 'Process Analytical Chemistry: Out of the Lab and into the Pipe' could have been used, too ... painfully thrill-free as they sound?

5. Easy enough to close today -- just tell me a track off of Bette Midler's "Broken Blossom". Thank you veddy much .

For 10 Points:
Empty Bed Blues, La Vie En Rose, Say Goodbye To Hollywood, Storybook Children, Yellow Beach Umbrella
For 5 Points:
Red (2)

Miss Midler also sang 'Make Yourself Comfortable', 'You Don't Know Me', 'I Never Talk To Strangers', 'A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes' -and- 'Paradise'.

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr, denni19
40 Points! .... Mugaboo
35 Points! .... maninmidohio
30 Points! .... deputygary, szabs

All righty, then ! Great job on that Round, everybody ... but the almost-last-of-the-year Trivia points for December go to brandz_mygirl, deepakmr and denni19. Congrats to them -- and thank you all for playing!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Jan 04 2009 10:11 AM)

#448459 - Sun Jan 04 2009 12:00 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 29 is now closed. Results will be posted later today...hopefully.

#448460 - Sun Jan 04 2009 12:35 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26 is now closed. Results will be posted shortly

#448461 - Sun Jan 04 2009 01:20 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26 Answers Six magnificent festive participants took place in this round dedicated to the 26th of December.

1. Boxing Day is celebrated on the 26th of December, it is an official public holiday in United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Australia, as well as many other members of the Commonwealth of Nations, although it is also celebrated in many other countries around the world. Could you please give me another country that celebrates Boxing Day as a holiday.

For 10 Points : Iceland, Germany, Nauru, South Africa
For 5 Points : The Bahamas (2)
Among Others: Austria, Belize, Denmark, Hungary

2. St. Stephen's Day, is a Christian saint's day celebrated on the 26th of December. In Ireland, St. Stephen's Day is the day for Hunting the Wren or Going on the Wren. From this page , please give me a line from the Wren Boys song.

For 10 Points : I hope in heaven your soul will rest, Although he is little, his family is great,
For 5 Points : On St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze(2), My box would speak, if it had but a tongue (2)
12 lines to choose from, among others: The wren, the wren, the king of all birds, A drop just to drink, it would drown melancholy

3. St. Stephen also happens to be the patriot saint of horses, in some countries like Austria it is customary to bless horses on this day, in other countries like England Boxing Day became associated with horse-racing and hunting. The most famous of races held on Boxing Day is the King George VI chase, held at Kempton Park Racecourse in London. Please give me the name of a horse that has won the King George VI Chase, after 1970.

Yay 10 Points to all : Best Mate, Edredon Bleu,One Man, Wayward Lad, Bachelor’s Hall, Teeton Mill
Among Others: Captain Christy, See More Business, Kauto Star who has now won 3 years in a row.

4. In Australia, it is also the day the peril-fraught Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race begins, the boats leave Sydney heading south for 630 nautical miles (1,170 km) through the Tasman Sea, past Bass Strait, into Storm Bay and up the Derwent River, to cross the finish line in Hobart, Tasmania. Racing yachts are expected to again join the blue-water classic despite the dangers of the sea which in 1998 caused the deaths of six sailors when the yachts ran into a violent storm. Out of 115 yachts only 44 completed the race, 55 sailors had to be airlifted from their yachts by rescue helicopter, five boats sank and six sailors died. Today is the 10th anniversary of the tragic race, would you be so kind and give me the name of one of the men that died or the yacht they were on in the 1998 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race.

For 10 Points : John Dean, Bruce Raymond Guy, Business Post Naiad, Sword of Orion
For 5 Points : Winston Churchill(2)
The Others were: Phillip Charles Skeggs, James Lawler, Michael Bannister, Glyn Charles

5. Many important historic events have taken place on the 26th of December throughout the years, from the Wikipedia page would you please give me the year and an Event, that has occurred on the 26th of December. (no births or deaths please)

10 Points to all : 1862 - American Civil War: The Battle of Chickasaw Bayou begins, 1870 - Fréjus Rail Tunnel through the Alps is completed, 1919 - Babe Ruth of the Boston Red Sox is sold to the New York Yankees, 1973 - Soyuz 13 lands on earth after a week in orbit, 1986 - The first long-running American television soap opera, Search for Tomorrow, airs its final episode after thirty-five years on the air, 1996 - Start of the largest strike(automotive & shipbuilding) in South Korean history.
Among Others: 1620 - Pilgrim Fathers land at what becomes New Plymouth in Massachusetts., 1898 - Marie and Pierre Curie announce the isolation of radium, 1982 - Time Magazine's Man of the Year is for the first time a non-human, the personal computer, 1991 - The Supreme Soviet meets and formally dissolves the USSR.

Scores
We have one sole winner with 50 points : Deepakmr
With 45 points: Deputygary, Gatsby722
With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl, Maninmidohio & Mugaboo

A hearty congratulations goes out to our sole winner in this round with a perfect score of 50 points Deepakmr , who will receive one trivia point for December. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and I wish you all a fantastic New Year.

#448462 - Sun Jan 04 2009 04:43 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 30 –The PREMIER round

Seven premier players for this Round . I thank you for your dedication and promptness.

1 -- Give me the name of a current PREMIER Soccer League (PSL) team playing in the Premier Division.

10 points: Golden Arrows, Bidvest Wits, Santos

5 points: FS Stars [2], Thanda [2]

Not mentioned: Ajax, SuperSport, Pirates, Chiefs, AmaZulu, Sundowns, Swallows, Plat Stars, Maritzburg, Bay Utd, Celtic

2 -- From the Premier Ride's website, come up with any of the technical specification for their Pipeline Coaster.

10 points: Speed: 43 mph, Track Description - Upper Course: One Forward 360 Spiral

5 points: Lift Power: AC200V 96 KW [3], Maximum Bank Angle 85º [2]

Not mentioned: Dimensions: 535' x 16.5', Track Length: 1420', Height: 98.5', G-Force, Normal: 4.7 G, Track Description - Lower Course: Two Backward 360 Spirals, Number of Cars: 6, Number of Riders/Car: 6, Seating Capacity: 36 riders, Theoretical Capacity: 720 PPH

3 – Apart from “Premier”, name any other cigarette brand coming to us from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company.

10 points: Misty, Monarch, Camel, More, Carlton

5 points: Tareyton [2]

Not mentioned: Winston, Pall Mall, Doral, Kool, GPC, Capri, Lucky Strike, Salem, Vantage, Now

4 -- Please pick any of the 2008 Fiction Winners of the PREMIER Book Awards (First, second or third place)

10 points: “Ring Dragon” by David Ben, “Escape To Freedom” by Kenn Joubert, “Brookwater's Curse, Volume 2” by Steven Van Patten, “Hermetica: Myths, Legends, Poems” by Paul Kiritsis, “Chasing Hunter” by Cort Malone

5 points: "Settling" by Joan L. Cannon [2]

Not mentioned: “Sacrifice: Book One of The Last Forever” by Kelly Komm, “Pike Place” by Marilyn Howard Tschudi, “The Most Expensive Mistress in Jefferson County” by James A. Misko, “Eboracum, The Village” by Graham Clews, “Heading Home” by John Malone, “Golden Quest” by John Warner

5 -- I want you to visit the Premier Percussion's website and give me a colour available for the Gen-X model.

10 points ALL : Purple Sparkle, Sapphire Lacquer, Purple Lacquer Standard Finish, Champagne, Solid White Lacquer, Red Moon Sparkle, Turquoise Lacquer

The RESULTS for Round 30 are:

With 50 points: Brandz_mygirl – Congratulations!

With 45 points: Deepakmr and Mugaboo

With 40 points: Szabs and Deputygary

With 35 points: Maninmidohio

With 30 points: Gatsby

Well done to our ‘perfect’ winner – one December point is rightfully awarded to an unique set of answers.

#448463 - Mon Jan 05 2009 08:10 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Dec 29 Round – Answers

Seven super players for D is for….

1) Please name another person (other than Doc Holliday) involved in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral or the then-Sheriff of Cochise County who later testified in court as a witness to the gunfight.
For Ten Points: Virgil Earp, Tom McLaury, Morgan Earp, Billy Clanton
For Five Points: Ike Clanton (3)
Not mentioned: Wyatt Earp, Frank McLaury, Billy Claiborne, Sheriff Johnny Behan.

2) From either here -or- here, please give me one of the best movies of 2008, excepting “The Dark Knight” of course.
For Ten Points: Burn After Reading, Milk, Momma’s Man, Rachel Getting Married, The Edge of Heaven
For Five Points: Wendy and Lucy (2)
Not mentioned: Wall-E, Waltz with Bashir, Gomorra, Trouble the Water, Happy-Go-Lucky, Man on Wire, Tropic Thunder, The Wrestler, The Class, Tell No One.

3) From the website of The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, under the Life Facts section on Mountain Gorillas, please give me any one of the eight frequently asked questions.
For Ten Points: How do mountain gorillas communicate?, What do mountain gorillas eat?, Where do mountain gorillas live?, Will the mountain gorilla survive?
For Five Points: How do scientists study gorillas? (3)
Not mentioned: How big do mountain gorillas get?, How do we track and protect the mountain gorillas?, What is mountain gorilla family life like?

4) Please name a movie that the husband (of Deborra-Lee Furness) has starred in anytime from the year 2000 to 2008.
For Ten Points: Australia, Someone Like You, Standing Room Only, Swordfish, The Fountain, The Prestige, X-Men The Last Stand
Not mentioned: Deception, Kate and Leopold, Scoop, Stories of Lost Souls, Uncle Jonny, Van Helsing, X-Men, X2.

5) From this page, please give me any quote about best friends that is a maximum of two sentences long.
For Ten Points:
- A friend is the one who comes in when the whole world has gone out
- Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive
- Friends are relatives you make for yourself
- Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down
- The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on the porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you’ve had
- The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship
- The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart
Not mentioned: The above answers were all well chosen. Lots more choices available on the site.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Deputygary Well done! I had 3 winners originally, but upon checking, realized I had listed “Wendy and Lucy” as two unique answers for Q2. Just glad I caught my error before posting.

Other Results:
45 points: Mugaboo, Maninmidohio, Szabs and Denni
40 points: Gatsby and Deepakmr

Thank you to the super seven for playing!

#448464 - Mon Jan 05 2009 12:23 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 18 will close in just under 12 hours (midnight FT time)...

#448465 - Tue Jan 06 2009 10:25 AM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 18 Results

7 players entered this round…

1. Please name a show that won the Best New Musical prize at the Olivier Awards during the 1990s.

For 10 points: Martin Guerre (1997), Kat and the Kings (1999), City of Angels (1994), Return to the Forbidden Planet (1990), Sunday in the Park with George (1991)

For 5 points: Carmen Jones (1992) – (2)

Not mentioned: Crazy for You (1993), Once on This Island (1995), Jolson the Musical (1996), Beauty and the Beast (1998)

2. Please take a look at this table of 'properties of rocket propellants' and pick a rocket propellant compound listed there.

For 10 points: Dimethyl Hydrazine, Aluminum, Liquid Oxygen, Hydrogen Peroxide, Liquid Methane

For 5 points: Chlorine Pentafluoride (2)

Not mentioned: Liquid Fluorine, Nitrogen Tetroxide, Nitric Acid, and others

3. Please select one of these seven ancient wonders or the person to whom it was dedicated. (Only those people/gods not mentioned explicitly in the name of the wonder will count.).

For 10 points: Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Great Pyramid of Giza, Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus, Colossus of Rhodes

For 5 points: Lighthouse of Alexandria (2)

Not mentioned: Khufu (Great Pyramid), Amytis of Media (Hanging Gardens), Statue of Zeus at Olympia, Helios (Colossus)

4. Please choose another fictional house from the movies (no television).

For 10 points: Dorothy Gale's house (The Wizard of Oz), Hill House (The Haunting), Wayne Manor (Batman), Brideshead (Brideshead Revisited), House of Usher (The House of Usher)

For 5 points: Saeki House (The Grudge) – (2)

Not mentioned: Pemberly (Pride and Prejudice), X-Mansion (X-Men), Manderley (Rebecca), and others

5. Please take a look at the National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame and give me another (i.e., not Secretariat) equine inductee whose name begins with the letter 'S.'

For 10 points: Seattle Slew, Silver Spoon, Salvator, Seabiscuit, Shuvee, Swoons Son, Sunday Silence

For 5 points: none

Not Mentioned: Sarazen, Searching, Serena's Song, and others

Scores:

With 50 points: brandz_mygirl, Gatsby722
With 45 points: maninmidohio, deputygary
With 40 points: Mugaboo, szabs, deepakmr

Congratulations to brandz_mygirl and Gatsby722 for their perfect scores, winning one December trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#448466 - Fri Jan 16 2009 04:33 PM Re: December 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I'm finally getting to these . Sorry it took so long, folks ...

Results for December 2008:

1. Mugaboo ~ 8 points
2. deputygary ~ 7 points
3. brandz_mygirl
....deepakmr
....Gatsby722
....maninmidohio ~ all 6 points
7. szabs ~ 5 points
8. denni19 ~ 4 points
9. zorba_scank ~ 3 points
10. nakarinna ~ 1 point

Year-To-Date Standings:

1. maninmidohio (95 points)
2. szabs (75 points)
3. brandz_mygirl (69 points)
4. nakarinna (67 points)
5. Mugaboo (65 points)
6. Gatsby722 (64 points)
7. denni19 (59 points)
8. zorba_scank (31 points)
9. deputygary (21 points)
10. cinnamOn (18 points)
11. srini701 (16 points)
12. deepakmr (14 points)
13. ecnalubma
.....Lizard_Wizard (both 6 points)
15. gsmoke827 (4 points)
16. gemini19 (3 points)
17. JaneMarple
.....Snowman (both 2 points)
19. ainenei
.....bethfay
.....flopsymopsy
.....glendathecat
.....Jafato
.....LeoDaVinci
.....missbecky2007
.....Santana2002 (all 1 point)

Which, then, means that a large and boisterous *Yay! Congratulations!* is due maninmidohio ... for winning the year solidly. Well done !

All said, it was a lot of great fun all year long, eh? I'd like to thank everybody for their participation across-the-board!

P.S. I'll post a "proper" years-end post after I break it down, month-by-month. But, for now, tips o' the hat to maninmidohio for a consistent and impressive performance in 2008 !

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ozzz2002