Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#453326 - Sat Jan 17 2009 01:45 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 13 is now closed.
Results will appear here later, most probably early tomorrow morning.

#453327 - Sat Jan 17 2009 11:59 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 12 is also closed. Results a little later today.

#453328 - Sun Jan 18 2009 03:25 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Just eight hours left for Round 14 ...

#453329 - Sun Jan 18 2009 07:14 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Jan 12 Round – Answers

Six Smashing players for E is for …

1) From here, please name another city (other than Edinburgh) in the top 15 largest cities in the U.K.
For Ten Points: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool, London, Sheffield
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Belfast, Bradford, Coventry, Glasgow, Leeds, Leicester, Manchester, Nottingham, Sunderland, Wakefield.
There are actually three cities holding the 15th position based on population, so there are sixteen possible answers for this question. Thanks to Maninmidohio for pointing this out.

2) Please name an actor/actress who provided Additional Voices in the film (“The Emperor’s New Groove”).
For Ten Points: Jess Harnell, Robert Clotworthy, Rodger Bumpass, Stephen J. Anderson
For Five Points: Mickie McGowan (2)
Not mentioned: Andre Stojka, D.F. Reynolds, Danny Mann, Geri Lee Gorowski, Jennifer Darling, Miriam Flynn, Sherry Lynn, Steve Susskind.

3) From here, please give me any one of the eggs FAQs listed.
For Ten Points: Can I keep eggs at room temperature? Is the risk of salmonellosis from eggs increasing? What does free-range eggs mean? What should I do about some of my favourite egg recipes that call for raw or lightly cooked eggs? What usually causes salmonellosis? What will happen if I eat an egg containing salmonella?
Not mentioned:
-The problem, many of us have run into, is the scrambled eggs turn green after we prepare them. I have tried different containers but to no avail.
-Please clarify what the white stringy stuff is inside of an egg when you crack it. Is this not sperm? If not, please explain.
-Are brown eggs more nutritious than white eggs?
-Can you eat eggs with blood spots?
-Are eggs the only source of Salmonella bacteria?
-How can I tell if my eggs have spoiled?

4) Please give me a one-word synonym for ‘Eerie’.
For Ten Points: Bizarre, Ghostly, Ghoulish, Macabre
For Five Points: Weird (2)
Not mentioned: Creepy, Haunting, Spooky, Uncanny, Unearthly and lots more

5) From the ‘Zoo Map’ on the Singapore Zoo’s website, please name an animal whose name appears WITHIN the section marked by the blue tram line.
For Ten Points: Cheetah, Chimpanzee, Hunting Dog, Squirrel Monkey
For Five Points: Giant Tortoise (2)
Not mentioned: African Lion, Gnu, Hamadryas Baboon, Komodo Dragon, Mandrill, Nyala, Orang Utan, Ostrich, Proboscis Monkey, Sun Bear.
Deputygary has brought to my attention that there is a serious lack of representation of llamas at the Singapore Zoo.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Gatsby and Denni Well done!

Other Results:
45 points: Deputygary and Mugaboo
40 points: Maninmidohio and Szabs

#453330 - Sun Jan 18 2009 01:19 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 14 - Wednesday
"Miscellaneous Stuff"
Seven dizzyingly good players this time !

1. To start, then, please tell me another model of a Mr. Coffee machine I could have bought - but only pick from model 'numbers' starting with *TF* -or- *IS*.

For 10 Points:
ISS13 (12-Cup Switch, Black with Silver Accents), ISX46 (12-Cup, Programmable, Black with Red), TF5 (4-Cup, Black, Switch)
For 5 Points:
ISS12 (12-Cup Switch, White with Silver Accents) (2), ISTX95 (Thermal Programmable) (2)

I could've opted for a(n) ISX43, TF12, TF13, TF4, TFTX85 or a TFX23, too, I reckon.

2. Have a look at Roger Ebert's website and tell me the director (NOT the title) of one of the first ten films he chose as 'the best of 2008.' Note: The movies' names begin, then, with the letters A through H ...

For 10 Points:
Ramin Bahrani (Chop Shop), Lance Hammer (Ballast), Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon), Courtney Hunt (Frozen River), John Patrick Shanley (Doubt)
For 5 Points:
Tarsem Singh (The Fall) (2)

Eran Kolirin (The Band's Visit), Steven Soderbergh (Che), Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight) and Mike Leigh (Happy-Go-Lucky) would've worked, too.

3. Kindly tell me one of the last 10 sentences in Barack's speech that day ~ but don't use "Thank you.", "God bless you." or "And may God bless the United States of America." - ten sentences before those, OK? Abbreviated sentences are fine to submit.

For 10 Points:
Everybody !
It will not come easy or happen overnight, and it is altogether likely that things may get worse before they get better; But that is all the more reason for Congress to act without delay; We have already tried the wait-and-see approach to our problems, and it is the same approach that helped lead us to this day of reckoning; That is why the time has come to build a 21st century economy in which hard work and responsibility are once again rewarded; That's why I'm asking Congress to work with me and my team day and night, on weekends if necessary, to get the plan passed in the next few weeks. That's why I'm calling on all Americans - Democrats and Republicans - to put good ideas ahead of the old ideological battles ...; More than any program or policy, it is this spirit that will enable us to confront this challenge with the same spirit that has led previous generations to face down war, depression, and fear itself.

And that's pretty much the whole end of the speech!

4. Her New York Times obituary closes with a quote Helen Suzman made, about herself -- it's a short summation of her own life. Tell me a word in that quote (it's just one sentence) that has five or more letters in it.

For 10 Points:
Beyond, Interesting, South
For 5 Points:
Africa (2), Never (2)

Oh, yeah. I screwed THAT one up but goood . The quote I initially found was in the Associated Press obituary (published in the Times). Then ... there turned out to be another one, written by the NYT staff for Mrs. Suzman. Sigh. So the answer pool was notably larger than I originally considered. Here are the quotes in question, though:

"Poor old Jimmy Kruger," she said. "Like most of them, he knew very little of the world beyond South Africa."
-OR-
"The great thing about my life is that is has never been boring - long, interesting, maddening at times but never boring," she said.

5. George Carlin found time to do several specials on HBO, too. Please tell me the title of one of them that first aired in the 20th century.

For 10 Points:
Back in Town (1996), Carlin at Carnegie (1982), Doin' It Again (1990), George Carlin at USC (1977), Playin' with Your Head (1986)
For 5 Points:
Carlin on Campus (1984) (2)

The others were "George Carlin: Again!" (1978), "What Am I Doing in New Jersey?" (1988), "Jammin' in New York" (1992), "George Carlin: 40 Years of Comedy" (1997) -and- "You Are All Diseased" (1999).

The Results!

50 Points! .... deepakmr, maninmidohio ~ two perfect scores today! Yay!
45 Points! .... szabs
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deputygary
35 Points! .... denni19
30 Points! .... Mugaboo

Thank you, everybody, for joining in. Early year scoreboard points are issued to deepakmr and maninmidohio this fine Sunday afternoon. Have a great week ahead !

#453331 - Mon Jan 19 2009 02:16 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 ~ Monday

Just a thrown-together mess o' things today . A wee bit of chaos - nothing thematic or otherwise organized ....

1. Seems only fair to honor our "Thursday Girl", yes? nakarinna has done an exceptional job for a very long time supplying us with varied, interesting, original and fun Trivia Rounds questions for months, and did it solo every week, every Thursday for essentially a year. That she did so while conducting a busy life makes it all even more commendable, and we were grateful throughout. Let's have a salute, then, and look back at her cornucopia of topics from the year past. Please tell me of any of nakarinna's questions (brevity is fine in describing them) that she posed in her first Round of the month in any month starting with the letter *J*. That'd be in 2008, of course .

2. The Golden Globe awards were handed out last Sunday night by The Hollywood Foreign Press. Good show -- much better than last year's celebration that was basically just a press conference (due to the at-the-time raging writers' strike). Come Monday all the reports were as to how bad/good the actors looked on the red carpet. I don't pay any attention to such things, and staunchly say that whether Renée Zellweger's dress was a nightmare (OK ... so it might have been a little 'goth'?) or that Tony Shalhoub's collar was not only odd but way too 'retro' (hey ... so what's wrong with nehru, anyway?) -- all I know is that it was grand to see Heath Ledger honored so gracefully. And Mickey Rourke carrying his biker-looking (but brilliant) self up to that podium to nab his statue. Here's your next question, though: tell me a nominee for Best Supporting Actor or Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture that didn't win at last Sunday's Globes.

3. Recently, American journalist/hostess Barbara Walters interviewed Patrick Swayze on a primetime television special. They talked a bit about his acting career ~ touching on such minor [ahem] sensations like Dirty Dancing (in 1987) and Ghost (in 1990), both of which were runaway hits and made Mr. Swayze a household name. The interview, however, touched on more important matters than exceptional filmmaking. They talked about guts, power in the face of adversity, spirit to persevere. Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January 2008, and has beaten the odds already in terms of 'outlasting' the disease. Most patients in his spot don't survive the first year after diagnosis. Over on the *PanCan* website, they speak of several types of exocrine pancreatic cancer (the most deadly variety of it). Tell me one of those 'types'.

4. 2009, they say, is to be called the *International Year of Reconciliation*. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it sounds like a fine idea. I'm thinking it'd be a fine goal for any year. But we'll see how much of it we can manage this one, I reckon. I think a perfect way to start would be to get those age-old enemies in Cartoonland to finally 'buddy up', since The Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote have been at it since 1948. Time to bury the Acme hatchet, I'd say. Chuck Jones, the creator of them, actually had this to say once: "the 'toon is a violently comedic parable for the modern conundrum of advanced technology versus an indomitable force of nature, or for a man's quest for the perfect, succulent bird (woman) that is always beyond his reach". Now, honestly . It was fun and funny. Let's not liken it to layered and/or symbol-heavy opera, for goodness sake?! At any rate, please tell me a line from the "Road Runner" theme song from the classic cartoon, OK?

5. This coming year will mark the 200th birthday of one of history's great leaders, that being Abraham Lincoln who was born on February 12, 1809. All across the United States museums, libraries, and communities are planning to celebrate his birthday, calling it the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial. In conjunction with that will be the clearly drawn parallels between the inauguration of Lincoln so long ago AND the festivities surrounding President Obama this week - they're even going to use Abe's own Bible as B.H.O. is sworn in. Lincoln was a Republican, aged 52 upon his taking over the White House and his mother [Nancy Hanks] died when he was a boy (having consumed milk from a cow who had ingested poisonous mushrooms). His legacy is large. His memorials will resound. I'm needing to know the names of one of Abraham's grandchildren, their spouses, or any of his great grandchildren. Thank you!

I think that'll do it. This round will close up, as always, on Friday at high noon (or thereabouts). Have a very cool week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Jan 19 2009 06:25 AM)

#453332 - Tue Jan 20 2009 04:07 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 16 the Cross Country Running Round will close in about 20 hours (noonish - FT time). Plenty of time to get your entries in - both veterans and newcomers welcome.

#453333 - Wed Jan 21 2009 04:03 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday January 21st 2009 quiz
Q1 Something you associate with summer
Q2 Something you can have on your toast
Q3 Something you do before getting into bed
Q4 A board game played with a dice
Q5 A brand of chocolate
This round closes over the weekend

#453334 - Wed Jan 21 2009 05:13 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 20 is already late and it will be some hours still before I can post it. Sorry everyone.

#453335 - Wed Jan 21 2009 01:35 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 16 – Results

We had ten great entrants for the Cross Country Running Round. And in spite of my poorly worded 5th question all seemed to have survived the run.

1. The Wikipedia article on cross country running gives a table illustrating exactly how a sample meet might be scored. From that table tell me the name of one of the fictitious runners in this race.

For 10 Points:
Sanfried, Alistair, Josephine, Isaac, and Richard
For 5 Points: Cornelius (3) and Zed (2)
Not Chosen: Xavier, Talbot, Drake, Ulysses, and Minksworth

2. Tell me a fixture of the Thames Hare and Hounds that takes place after the January 17 match but before the annual dinner at the end of February.

For 10 Points:
Sat 24th Jan Southern cross country champs – ladies
For 5 Points: Sat 31st Jan Southern vets cross country championships (2), Sat 21st Feb National cross country champs – men (2), ladies, Sat 21st Feb National cross country champs – ladies (3) , and Sat 14th Feb Kingston and Poly 9 miles (2)
Not Chosen: Sat 24th Jan Southern cross country champs – men, Sat 7th Feb Surrey cross country league – ladies, Sat 7th Feb Surrey cross country league – mens, and Sat 28th Feb Long distance handicap 7.5 miles

3. Please tell me an individual who won an individual medal or a team (country name) that won a team medal at any of the three Olympics that included cross country running (1912 – 1924).

For 10 Points:
Finland, United States, Heikki Liimatainen, and Earl Johnson
For 5 Points: Hannes Kolehmainen (2), Paavo Nurmi (2) and Eric Backman (2)
Not Chosen: Sweden, Great Britain, France, Hjalmar Andersson, John Eke, and Ville Ritola

4. The Wikipedia page for Carlos Lopes lists several records, awards and achievements and sporting positions that Carlos Lopes held. Please tell me either a predecessor or a successor to Lopes in any of these positions.

For 10 Points:
Leon Schots, Bekele Debele, Hugo d'Assumpção, John Ngugi, and Robert de Castella
For 5 Points: Steve Jones (2) and Waldemar Cierpinski (2)
Not Chosen: Belayneh Dinsamo, Samuel Wanjiru, Maria Manuela Contreiras, Armando Marques, and Ian Stewart

5. Please tell me the finishing place of a scoring runner on either the winning or the runner up team at the Nikes Cross Nationals held on December 6, 2008 in Portland Oregon.

(This question caused several of our players difficulty and I apologize for that. What I was after was the number of the scoring position of runners on the top two teams which is the second number listed below for each runner – I happily accepted runner’s name or overall position. Unfortunately one player after three tries, decided that a 0 score is what he deserved.)

For 10 Points: 10/6 Andrew Kimple, 48/24 Jeff Howard, 95/54 Alexander Avila, 8/5 Jordan Hebert, 75/40 Andrew Smith, 86/48 Adam Cecil, and 89/50 Jack Driggs
For 5 Points: 14/8 Steve Sulkin (2)
Not Chosen: 47/23 Leon Dean and 55/27 Ben Johnston

The Results:

40 Points: deputygary, szabs, denni19, deepakmr, and PDAZ
35 Points: Mugaboo and brandz_mygirl
30 Points: Gatsby722 and Gemini19
25 Points: leelee63

It is a five way tie for first place for the Cross Country Running Round. So a January Trivia Point will be awarded to deputygary, szabs, denni19, deepakmr, and PDAZ for coming out on top in an extremely close contest. A hearty welcome is given to our new player leelee63. I hope you continue to enjoy playing our trivia rounds.

#453336 - Wed Jan 21 2009 02:29 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday Jan 20 – Quiz

Starting with Fish.

1) If you like fish, watching them I mean, (eating them will be the next question), you might want to visit the Underwater World at Sentosa island in Singapore. Please name an animal that is featured in the Exhibits section of the Underwater World.

2) After seeing all that fish in the Underwater World, you might have a hankering to eat some. From here, please give me one method of cooking fish.

3) In order to cook the fish in Q2 above, you will need access to a kitchen. Feng Shui is the ancient Chinese art of arranging your surroundings to ensure good health and fortune for all who inhabit that space. The kitchen is considered to be the heart of the home and good feng shui is very important in this room. From this page, please give any one of the Do’s and Don’ts for creating good kitchen Feng Shui. Just the first sentence of each point will be fine.

4) Having finished cooking the fish, you will want to lay the table, ready for your feasting. If you’re going all formal with the table settings, a fish fork will be necessary. (However, if you’re like me and don’t own a fish fork and prefer casual eating, any old ordinary fork will do.) From Wikipedia, please give me another type of fork used with food.

5) You might decide to watch a movie while eating the fish. A possible movie might be the 1975 blockbuster “Jaws”. From Imdb, please give me any of the first ten actor’s/actress’s name who appeared in the movie “Jaws”.

This round will close on Monday 26 January at noon FT time. Sorry again for the delay, I’ve been somewhat busy.

#453337 - Thu Jan 22 2009 04:13 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 will be done, done, done in about 18 hours, folks . Please make your final selections now and proceed to the check-out area ....

#453338 - Fri Jan 23 2009 03:49 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 23 – Friday

This week there is no special theme, but just some interesting facts about life on earth in general.

1.- There are many question that to this day still baffle scientists around the world regarding the world and it’s formation, it’s very possible that the conditions that triggered life on earth no longer exist, but scientists always hope that they will find clues from locations with similar conditions to Earth’s youth. From this site , please tell me one of Earth’s seven biggest mysteries.

2. We could be on the brink of the biggest mass extinction since the ice age but we are also in the midst of a golden era of animal discovery. In the last decade or so, all sorts of new and fascinating species have been added to the roll call of life on earth. From this site , please give me the name of one of the new animals that have been discovered recently.

3. Within our lifetimes some of the world’s most incredible places are in danger of disappearing altogether.
Climate change is just one of the risks facing these stunning sights, but in many cases some of the places are affected due to the increase of tourism to the area, without the necessary precautions taken throughout the years, to protect these natural wonders. From this site tell me one of the places to visit, while you still can.

4. Just till about two years ago, house prices were soaring, mortgages were cheap and freely available and people in general liked to ask for loans. In fact, they liked them so much, that Britons asked for money to fund some pretty odd things. From this site please give me one of the 20 things people have asked loans for.

5. To end this round up, I thought you should have a look at some iconic images from around the world which happened in 2008, covering disheartening conflicts, the beauty of nature, athletic feats and general events that are worth remembering. From the 24 pictures provided please choose one .( just give me a brief description).

This round will close on Wednesday the 28th of January around noon FT time. In the meantime I wish you all a happy weekend.

#453339 - Fri Jan 23 2009 11:03 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 - Monday
"Organization-Free No-Theme"
Eight energetically phenomenal players

1. Please tell me of any of nakarinna's questions (brevity is fine in describing them) that she posed in her first Round of the month in any month starting with the letter *J*. That'd be in 2008, of course .

For 10 Points:
Please give me the location of any Pontiac auto show occurring in the month of January; Please visit the CFCC website and give me the name of one of the winners of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada book prize
For 5 Points:
Please give me the name of any movie (no television) that features a zebra within the film (2); Please pick any book written by Beverly Cleary that includes Ramona's name in the title (2); Please visit the 'Secret Asian Man' website and select a publication in which the strip appears (2)

Nakarinna also quizzed us on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the March of Dimes, cities in Alaska, Liberian presidents, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and miscellaneous movie monsters (amongst a few other things). Always a nice mix o' interesting matters !

2. Here's your next question, though: tell me a nominee for Best Supporting Actor (or Actress) in a Motion Picture that didn't win at last Sunday's Globes.

For 10 Points:
Amy Adams (Doubt), Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler)
For 5 Points:
Penélope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) (2), Viola Davis (Doubt) (2), Robert Downey, Jr. (Tropic Thunder) (2)

Tom Cruise, Ralph Fiennes and Philip Seymour Hoffman also went home empty-handed.

3. Over on the *PanCan* website, they speak of several types of exocrine pancreatic cancer (the most deadly variety of it). Tell me one of those 'types'.

For 10 Points:
Acinar Cell Carcinoma, Adenocarcinoma, Giant Cell Tumor, Pancreatoblastoma, Serous Cystadenocarcinoma
For 5 Points:
Mucinous Cystadenocarcinoma (3)

Adenosquamous Carcinoma, Intraductal Papillary-Mucinous Neoplasm and Solid and Pseudopapillary Tumors would've been right, too.

4. At any rate, please tell me a line from the "Road Runner" theme song, OK?

For 10 Points:
Road Runner, Road Runner runs on the road all day; Road Runner, that Coyote's after you; Road Runner, if he catches you, you're through; Poor little Road Runner never bothers anyone.
For 5 Points:
If you're on a highway and Road Runner goes beep-beep (2); That Coyote is really a crazy clown (2)

Gotta love the Road Runner and Wile E., eh? 'Reconciliations' or not.

5. I'm needing to know the names of one of Abraham's grandchildren, their spouses, or any of his great grandchildren. Thank you!

For 10 Points:
Warren Wallace Beckwith (grandson-in-law), Frank Edward Johnson (grandson-in-law), Mary Lincoln Beckwith (great granddaughter)
For 5 Points:
Charles Bradford Isham (grandson-in-law) (3), Abraham "Jack" Lincoln II (grandson) (2)

The other Lincoln kinfolk that would have been right were Mary "Mamie" Lincoln (granddaughter), Lincoln Isham (great grandson), Jessie Harlan Lincoln (granddaughter), Robert John Randolph (grandson-in-law) and Robert Todd Lincoln Beckwith (great grandson).

The Results!

40 Points! .... denni19, deputygary, maninmidohio, szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, leelee63
25 Points! .... deepakmr, Mugaboo

Four chart-topping point grabbers today - in a game full of very close scores. Congrats to denni19, deputygary, maninmidohio and szabs! Well done to them. Thank you, everybody, for joining in this time! Have a bold and significant weekend, yes?

#453340 - Sat Jan 24 2009 04:52 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 24 - Saturday 24th January

As Sunday is the 250th Birthday of Robert Burns, this round just had to be a Scottish round.

1. Name any monument to Robert Burns
2. Robert was 25 when his father died, and Robert composed the epitaph on the reverse side of the gravestone at Alloway Kirk. "WHO DIED FEBT. 13, 1784, AGED 63 TEARS." it says in the front side. Give me a line that appears as part of Robert Burns father's (William Burness) epitaph.
3. Name any Scottish Country Dance that is a Reel.
4. Burns died at Dumfries. Please name any Castle in Dumfries and Galloway.
5. Please tell me any film showing next month in the Robert Burns Centre Film Theatre in Dumfries.

Round closes Noon Thursday FT time.

#453341 - Sun Jan 25 2009 11:15 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 21 closes tomorrow

#453342 - Sun Jan 25 2009 12:19 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Just under 24 hours to go for Round 20.

#453343 - Mon Jan 26 2009 03:05 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

January 21st 2009 quiz results

Q1 Something you associate with summer
FOR TEN POINTS:
Overheated car, Mowing the lawn, Tourists, Ice candy, Summer sales, Poison ivy, Scuba diving,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Sunburn (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Sunshine, beaches and more

Q2 Something you can have on your toast
FOR TEN POINTS:
Sardines, Eggs, Butter, Peanut butter and fluff, potato curry, Condensed milk, Hummus,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Peanut butter (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Beans, Jam and more

Q3 Something you do before getting into bed
FOR TEN POINTS:
Take off watch, Clean bottom of feet, Put on sleep mask, Turn down the heating, Help the dog on the bed, Smoke a cigarette, Open the window,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
drink a glass of water (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Put alarm clock on, take slippers off and more

Q4 A board game played with a dice
FOR TEN POINTS:
Cluedo/Clue, Monopoly, Risk, Pachisi, Snakes and ladders, Bedrock, Enchanted Forest,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Backgammon (2),

Q5 A brand of chocolate
FOR TEN POINTS:
Hamlet, Nestle, Hershey's, Baker’s Chocolate, Bridge Brands Chocolate (from San Francisco), Alpenliebe, Van Houten, Creek House Patisserie, Trapa,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Cadburys. Mars and more
SCORES – 9 people!
DeputyGary – 50
Szabs- 50
Brandz_mygirl – 45
Deepakmr – 45
Gatsby – 45
Gemini19 –45
Leelee63 – 45
Maninmidohio – 45
Mugaboo – 40

Well done to DeputyGary and Szabs

#453344 - Mon Jan 26 2009 09:49 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 20 is closed, actually has been closed for a while now. Results will be out later today.

Round 26 (Monday's round) will be a mite late I'm afraid. I will post it later today as well. Happy Tuesday everyone.

#453345 - Tue Jan 27 2009 05:57 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 27 ~ Tuesday

I'm stepping in for Miss denni19 today - her computer has decided to take an unplanned operational hiatus . She'll be back ASAP - or as soon as somebody slaps some sense into her peevish machine.

1. I saw this guy pop up on something (likely suspicious?) on TV yesterday. Troubled and complicated fellow indeed, I'd say ... bitten-off ears, cries of "rape" and/or allegations of spousal abuse and more than a fistful of arrests for decades would stand as evidence to his 'scandalous' badge. Despite his troubles or his nicknames "Kid Dynamite", "Iron Mike," and "The Baddest Man on the Planet," he was once the undisputed heavyweight champion and remains the youngest man ever to win a world heavyweight title at just 20 years old. At any rate - please tell me a documented/official item and/or event on boxer Mike Tyson's *rap sheet* (one of his 'brushes with the law') from the 1970s or the 1980s.

2. Yet more scandalous matters found me last night, this time while watching a recently Oscar-nominated film. Such a fascinating, smartly-written movie, too ... but I have a few doubts that I'll ever make up my mind what Doubt was really about, at its core. I "think" it used personification to show the different ways we look at a problem, and how we "deal" with it. Typically we approach dilemmas with a bundle of emotions, letting them sort themselves out as they land. Here, each character seemed to *be* one of those separate parts. Strict judgement based on suspicion (using high-handed "self-righteousness"). Compassion, often based on our own duplicity. Wide-eyed innocence, seeing only what we HOPE is there. And, finally, hard-lived experience, making the most out of what life really has to offer sometimes. Great stuff! The film was based on a play that opened on Broadway on March 31, 2005. Kindly tell me one of the four main characters, or the actor who played them, on opening night of the play "Doubt".

3. While the presidential inauguration was a stirring event (and one for the history books, too) last week, my estimation of the largest 'scandal' there was singer Aretha Franklin's hat. She sang "My Country 'Tis Of Thee", sparking one blogger out there to agree with me: "What was up with Aretha Franklin's hat at the inauguration? While the hat is quite Aretha-like, between the shape and the bow and the glitter she reminded me of the ball atop Times Square on New Year's Eve!" Aretha's bow-tied, gift-wrapped, jewel-studded, $179 inaugural hat was designed, produced and sold by Mr. Song Millinery, a family-owned business in Detroit - and the orders for hats akin to it is, they say, quite brisk (so many thought it fetching enough to want one just like it ). Have a look at Mr. Song's website and tell me a color that their hats are available in there - but pick only ones starting with the letters found in B-A-R-A-C-K ... O-B-A-M-A.

4. The governor of Illinoiis was on "Larry King Live" Monday - addressing what has become the biggest political embarrassment (so far) this year. Is he a "cuckoo", as the mayor of Chicago suggests? Is he the latest version of Mahatma Gandhi or Martin Luther King, as dubious governor Milorad "Rod" R. Blagojevich himself suggests? Um, not likely. The Illinois House of Representatives voted this month to impeach Blagojevich by a 114-1 vote, the first time such an action has been taken against a governor of Illinois. The corruption charges involved conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and solicitation of bribery ~ all stemming from a bizarre plan to "sell" former Senator Obama's newly vacated senate seat to the highest bidder!? Seemingly guilty of some outrageous thing or three, his biggest problem is that he's crippled badly under a massive load of self-importance. All that aside, the crime of wire fraud is codified at 18 U.S.C. § 1343 (as per the U.S. Code), and described briefly. Tell me a word with 7 or 8 letters that appears in that description. Wikipedia might prove expressly helpful there, once again ...

5. Then there are those things considered, by some, "scandalous" that seem a light year or two from anything truly troublesome. Just this person or that person getting their collective noses out-of-joint ... mostly because they can, I suppose. It can't be because any of us "regular folks" need them to, eh? Books and authors of books (and subjects of books and placement of books) are good targets for these naysayers on many occasions. The American Library Association posts an annual list of The Most Frequently Challenged Authors. Might you tell be an author who showed up on that ALA list for 2007? List of 10 spots, 11 authors named.

That's it for now. I didn't think about it long enough, and am hoping like crazy that the "wire fraud" question is clear . I suppose I'll find out soon enough, yes ?

This'll close on Saturday at noon-ish. See you then!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jan 27 2009 12:54 PM)

#453346 - Tue Jan 27 2009 02:13 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday Jan 26– Quiz

F is for…..

1) “Friends” – The one with…. the 6 friends living in New York city. The TV series ran from 1994 to 2004. Please name a movie that any of the actors, who played the friends, did following the end of the “Friends” series, up to end 2008.No TV movies, no voice parts in movies, an actual appearance please.

2) “Fernando” – A single by ABBA released in 1976. The English version (ABBA did the Swedish version first) topped the charts in 13 countries. Please name any of these 13 countries.

3) Fetch – One of the basic dog obedience commands. (It may be basic but Brandy never mastered this, nor did she master heel, come or stay. I blame the instructor (me!). Brandy does a really mean roll-over though. My dad taught her that.) From here, please give me any one of the “Tips for teaching basic commands” –OR- one of the basic dog commands listed in the first paragraph. Fetch isn’t in there but is listed on some other sites.

4) Football, specifically American Football - The BIG game is this Sunday between the Steelers and the Cardinals. (I know very little about the game but news about the Superbowl has been all over the net ) This page has a “Guide to Superbowl XLIII” which I found very interesting. Please name one of the subjects covered under the “key findings from Nielsen” (7 to choose from) –OR- tell me who performed during last year’s halftime –OR- who will be performing during this year’s halftime.

5) Foods that can relieve stress? – Yes according to this page. (Pizza, fried chicken, French fries, chocolate and ice cream, all the great stress-relieving food groups seem to have been inadvertently left out.) Please give me any food on the “Top 10 Foods that Relieve Stress”.

This round will close on Sunday 1 Feb at noon FT time.

Edited 'cos I got the dates confused. Thanks to Maninmidohio for pointing it out.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Wed Jan 28 2009 10:55 PM)

#453347 - Tue Jan 27 2009 02:47 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a quick reminder that Round 23 will be closing in 24 hours, everyone is welcome to participate.

#453348 - Tue Jan 27 2009 10:47 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Jan 20 Round – Answers

An Excellent group of Eight for the Starting with Fish round.

1) Please name an animal that is featured in the Exhibits section of the Underwater World.
For Ten Points: Box Crab, Chambered Nautilus, Coconut Crab, Coral, Dugong, Eagle Rays, Giant Japanese Spider Crab, Humphead Wrasse
Not mentioned: Araipaima, Blue Jellies, Butterflyfish, Golden Trevally, Sea Angel, Turkish Spa Fish and lots more

2) From here, please give me one method of cooking fish.
For Ten Points: Broiled, Poached, Roasted, Sauteed
For Five Points: Crockpot (2), Grilled (2)
Not mentioned: Baked, En Papillote, Fried, Microwaved, Steamed

3) From this page, please give any one of the Do’s and Don’ts for creating good kitchen Feng Shui.
For Ten Points: DO have a clear view of the entrance while you work, DO keep fresh food out for people to enjoy, DO keep one junk drawer in the kitchen, DO use your stove as much as possible, DON’T display knife blades and scissors in the kitchen, DON’T leave water on the stove for long periods of time, DON’T let clutter accumulate in your kitchen, DON’T store heavy or bulky items overhead
Not mentioned: DO make sure your (kitchen) plumbing is working properly, DON’T forget to create a comfortable seating area in your kitchen.

4) From Wikipedia, please give me another type of fork (other than a fish fork) used with food.
For Ten Points: Beef fork, Cheese fork, Crab fork, Oyster fork, Pickle fork, Relish fork
For Five Points: Cold meat/Cold cuts fork (2)
Not mentioned: Berry fork, Knork, Splayd, Spork, Tea fork and another 12 more are listed.

5) From Imdb, please give me any of the first ten actor’s/actress’s name who appeared in the movie “Jaws”.
For Ten Points: Carl Gottlieb, Jeffrey Kramer, Roy Scheider
For Five Points: Murray Hamilton (2), Robert Shaw (2)
Not mentioned: Jonathan Filley, Lorraine Gary, Richard Dreyfuss, Susan Backlinie, Ted Grossman

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Szabs Marvellous effort by our Szabs to win the round with full points!

Other Results:
45 points: Maninmidohio, Mugaboo, Deputygary, Leelee63
40 points: Gatsby, Deepakmr
35 points: Gemini19

Huge thanks to every single player.
Wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday. See you next week.

Edited to correct the score shown.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Thu Jan 29 2009 08:13 PM)

#453349 - Wed Jan 28 2009 08:07 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 28 ~ Wednesday

Okey dokey. I dusted off the old Trivial Pursuit game again for today .. and threw these together after doing so !

1. First up is Sports & Leisure, and the question is: Where did the Mogul emperor who built the Taj Mahal spend his last eight years? How unfortunate for Shihab-ud-din Muhammad Shah Jahan I (1592-1666) that he perished in prison - even put there by his own son! The emperor might have gotten off 'lucky' ... as said son didn't mess around when it came to getting rid of people in his way, blood ties or not? He'd led a rebellion when Shah Jahan became ill in 1657 and publicly executed his brother/heir apparent Dara Shikoh, ultimately declaring Shah Jahan incompetent to rule and put Dad under house arrest in Agra Fort. The Taj Mahal at Agra was, o' course, built as a tomb for Jahan's wife. The Emperor's reign was famous for many beautiful places: the Taj, the Pearl Mosque, the palace at Delhi, the Peacock Throne, etc. In many Indian structures one'll find Mihrabs, a niche in a mosque's wall facing Mecca, towards which Muslims face when praying. The Taj Mahal, then, qualifies as a mosque. To start, tell me any four- or five-letter word that can be made using the letters in M-I-H-R-A-B (using each letter only once).

2. Now for a Wild Card category - What rapper was killed just after recording a chart-topper with the line: "You're nobody 'til somebody kills you"? That's a rather timely draw - as Notorous B.I.G. (nee Christopher George Latore Wallace, 1972-1997) is the subject of a 2009 biopic starring Jamal Woolard, Angela Bassett and Derek Luke. B.I.G had a rough start (many scraps with the law, gangs, drug activity) in life, but his legacy became large once he broke through and became one of the most successful rappers of his time. His legacy became even MORE potent when he was killed by a drive-by gunman in 1997. His murder remains unsolved. Notorious B.I.G received many awards before and after his death - and MTV even named him one of the Greatest MCs [meaning to "move the crowd"] of All-Time, in a rap/hip hop sense. Tell me another person on that MTV Top-10 list, OK?

3. Science & Nature next: How many of every 10 women wear shoes too small for their feet, according to a 1980s UCLA study? Nine??? Actually, this doesn't surprise me. I worked in a shoe store briefly while a student and saw more examples of this than seemed even partly sensible (vanity I understood, even then ... but otherwise private shoe sizes and deliberately uncomfortable feet I did not). It often seemed a crowbar and a can of WD-40 would be required to wedge those feet into the shoes of choice ! A woman herself (named Susan Shapiro Barash) probed the psychological makeup of women - and while some found it an interesting text, just as many others were insulted in a mighty hurry. I stayed out of it completely. Kindly tell me any numbered chapter title in the book "Little White Lies, Deep Dark Secrets: The Truth About Why Women Lie," by Susan Barash.

4. Onward to the Arts & Entertainment card - What TV miniseries introduced the real-life African-American cowboy, Bose Ikard? Not too hard to even make a guess on that one, yes? Lonesome Dove, written by Larry McMurtry, is a Pulitzer Prize-winning (in 1986) western novel and the first published book in the "Lonesome Dove" series, focusing on the relationship of several retired Texas Rangers and their adventures driving a cattle herd from Texas to Montana. Ikard was born a slave, but upon getting his freedom became a reliable piece of the Wild Western landscape. One said of him: "Bose surpassed any man I had in endurance and stamina. There was a dignity, a cleanliness and reliability about him that was wonderful!" The epitaph on Bose Ikard's grave was transcribed by cattle rancher Charles Goodnight. Tell me a word of six letters or more in it.

5. Finally, then, People & Places finds us ... and we're asked: What New Orleans soup has a name derived from the Bantu word for 'okra'? Yum. It's probably just me, but I never met a gumbo I didn't like AND I never had any that tasted the same way twice! *Webster's* defines it as a soup thickened with unripe okra pods, usually made with tomatoes, vegetables, and chicken, ham, or seafood. Which pretty much means the boundaries when making some are endless? Chef Emeril Lagasse, who likely has made several thousand gumbos on The Food Network, whipped up a Father's Day episode on June 15, 2004 on "Emeril Live". The dishes served were Emeril's Stacked Salad; Blue Cheese Stuffed Filets with Bacon Mashed Potatoes; Chocolate Pecan Cake with white Chocolate and a full-of-lots-o'-stuff gumbo, too. I'm looking for an ingredient of Mr. John's Chorizo and Seafood Gumbo that is not (in any way) meat or fish that was prepared on that episode.

This will close up shop on Sunday at midday. High noon, or thereabouts. Have a good middle-of-the-week, and beyond !

#453350 - Wed Jan 28 2009 12:53 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 23 – Answers

Eight fabulous players joined us on this round dedicated to some interesting facts about life on earth.

1.- There are many question that to this day still baffle scientists around the world regarding the world and it’s formation, it’s very possible that the conditions that triggered life on earth no longer exist, but scientists always hope that they will find clues from locations with similar conditions to Earth’s youth. From this site , please tell me one of Earth’s seven biggest mysteries.

For 10 Points : What happened in Earth’s infancy? , What drives evolution?, What causes mass extinctions?
For 5 Points : What goes on in the earth’s core? (3), Why is Earth so uniquely well suited to life (2)
The Others: How and where did life begin, How many species exist on Earth.

2. We could be on the brink of the biggest mass extinction since the ice age but we are also in the midst of a golden era of animal discovery. In the last decade or so, all sorts of new and fascinating species have been added to the roll call of life on earth. From this site , please give me the name of one of the new animals that have been discovered recently.

For 10 Points : Dwarf Manatee, Kipunji, Misotshi-Kabogo Forest Bat
For 5 Points : Giant Peccary (3), Clouded Leopard (2)
Among Others: Misotshi-Kabogo Forest Frog, Saola, Kapuas-Mud Snake, Kha-Nyou -Laotian Rock Rat

3. Within our lifetimes some of the world’s most incredible places are in danger of disappearing altogether. Climate change is just one of the risks facing these stunning sights, but in many cases some of the places are affected due to the increase of tourism to the area, without the necessary precautions taken throughout the years, to protect these natural wonders. From this site tell me one of the places to visit, while you still can.

For 10 Points : Ghanaian forests, Central wet market - Hong Kong, Mt. Kilimanjaro, Tribes in Upper Xingu - Brazil, Dampier Rock carvings- Australia, Arctic Polar bears
For 5 Points : Angkor Wat – Cambodia (2)
The Others: Chamonix, Tuvalu-the Pacific, Parts of the Netherlands

4. Just till about two years ago, house prices were soaring, mortgages were cheap and freely available and people in general liked to ask for loans. In fact, they liked them so much, that Britons asked for money to fund some pretty odd things. From this site please give me one of the 20 things people have asked loans for.

For 10 Points : £5,000 for a suit of armour, Camel, £20.000 Turn a cave into a house, For a black stallion, £7,000 for a houseboat, £3000 for plastic surgery
For 5 Points : £3,000 for an ice cream van (2)
Among Others: for ingredients to bake the biggest-ever cake, Put on the waiting list for cryogenic freezing, to build a robot for Robot Wars, to buy a Bengal tiger

5. To end this round up, I thought you should have a look at some iconic images from around the world which happened in 2008, covering disheartening conflicts, the beauty of nature, athletic feats and general events that are worth remembering. From the 24 pictures provided please choose one .( just give me a brief description).

For 10 Points : A white pigeon is released during the Olympic flame ceremony, 470 sailboats race across a pocket of sunshine on a gloomy August day at the Beijing Olympics, Wind turbines, US President George W. Bush walks between the columns of the West Wing Colonnade, Clutching her child, an indigenous woman resists advancing Amazonas state policemen, Discovery lifts off from Kennedy Space Centre in May carrying the first bagels into space.
For 5 Points : Fireworks over London on New Year's Eve (2)
Among Others: Forest fires in san Francisco Valley, Bolts of lightning engulf the 3,300ft Chaiten volcano, Indian children, their faces daubed with bright paint, US Army Sergeant gently cradles an ultrasound image, Hurricane Ike closes in on the Texas coast.

Scores
We have three winners with 45 points : Gemini19, Leelee63 & Mugaboo
With 40 points: Gatsby722 & Maninmidohio
With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Deepakmr & Deputygary

A hearty congratulations goes out to all three winners in this round Gemini19, Leelee63 & Mugaboo , each will receive a trivia point in the month of January. A warm welcome to Leelee63 for joining us, and thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002