Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#453351 - Thu Jan 29 2009 12:27 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 24 - 7 played

1. Name any monument to Robert Burns.
For 10 points: (all Statues) Adelaide, Australia; Dunedin, New Zealand; Jacksonville, Florida; Quincy, Massachusetts; Winnipeg, Manitoba
For 5 points: Leith, Scotland [2]
Not mentioned include: Aberdeen, Scotland; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Timaru, New Zealand

2. Give me a line that appears as part of Robert Burns father's (William Burness) epitaph.
For 10 points and for 5 points In full the epitaph is :

O ye whose cheek the tear of pity stains, [3]
Draw near with pious rev'rence and attend!
Here lie the loving Husband's dear remains,
The tender Father, and the gen'rous Friend. [2]
The pitying heart that felt for human woe;
The dauntless heart that feared no human pride;
The friend of man, to vice alone a foe;
"For ev'n his failings leaned to virtue's side."

3. Name any Scottish Country Dance that is a Reel.
For 10 points: Closing Reels; Foursome Reel; Inveran Reels; Speed the Plough/Inverness Country Dance; The Sailor
For 5 points: Middling, Thank you [2]
Not mentioned include: Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh; Duke of Perth; La Ruse; Mairi's Wedding; Petronella; Reel of the 51st Division

This question is a lot more difficult than it looks, I allowed those claimed as a reel on Wikipedia.

4. Please name any Castle in Dumfries and Galloway.
For 10 points: Abbot's Tower; Drumlanrig Castle; Kenmuir Castle; Old Castle of St. John/Stranraer Castle; Threave
For 5 points: Sanquhar Castle [2]
Not mentioned include: Caerlaverock Castle; Cardoness Castle; MacLellan's Castle; Morton Castle

5. Please tell me any film showing next month in the Robert Burns Centre Film Theatre in Dumfries.
For 10 points: Australia; Bedtime Stories; Frost/Nixon; The Reader; The Visitor
For 5 points: Finding Neverland [2]
Not mentioned: Conversations with My Gardener; Slumdog Millionaire; The Warrior

Scores:

50 points: Leelee63
44 points: Deputygary; Szabs
40 points: Maninmidohio
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Deepakmr; Gatsby722

A runaway victory goes to leelee63, who picks up a well earned point. Well done.

#453352 - Fri Jan 30 2009 08:44 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 30

I have now presented you with three separate rounds that touched on my high school years, so maybe it is time to move on. But there is that one culminating ceremony that must be gotten through to close out the high school experience. So, this will be the Graduation Round.

1. Back when I graduated from high school in 1962 (yes, I am ancient), the traditional music for any graduation ceremony was Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstances. In actuality the music used is taken from the first of five marches that Elgar wrote which are collectively known as the Pomp and Circumstance Marches (there is a sixth but that was actually put together after Elgar’s death from sketches that he had done for the piece). Please give me the formal name of any of the first five Pomp and Circumstance Marches or give me the name of the musical friend that Elgar dedicated any one of the marches to.

2. Nowadays, the traditional music that was used back in my time is forgone for some more contemporary pieces, I supposed, in an attempt to be more relevant to the graduates. At top40.about.com you will find a “Top Ten Graduation Songs of 2008” list. Please give me any of the ten songs on that list.

3. A contemporary piece that did not make the Top Ten List in the previous question was Vitamin C’s song “Graduation (Friends Forever),” but it seems to be quite apt for the occasion. Please give me any of the lines from that song that begins with the letter A.

4. No graduation would be complete without a graduation speaker. And many a piece of advice has been handed down to graduates over the years by both the famous and not-so-famous. At this site you will find some wise words indeed given to previous graduates. Please give me any of the quotes and author listed there.

5. No graduation would be complete without presents to the newly graduated honoree. There are plenty of places on the web that offer suggestion as to what a suitable gift may be. This site actually has some interesting and unique gifts that fall in an affordable price range. Please tell me one of the items offered. (Please limit your responses to the items on this page - the first 10 items from the site.)

I hope you have all made your way through the ceremony and have successfully completed the Graduation Round. The round will finish noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, February 4. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Edited by maninmidohio (Fri Jan 30 2009 01:57 PM)

#453353 - Sat Jan 31 2009 08:49 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Am posting this now, in case I forget to do so later...

Round 26 will be closing in just over 28 hours (round will close at noon Sunday FT time).

#453354 - Sat Jan 31 2009 10:47 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 28 will be wrapping up in 24 hours, too !

#453355 - Sat Jan 31 2009 11:37 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 27
"Scandalous"
Eight Earth-moving players !

1. At any rate - please tell me a documented/official item and/or event on boxer Mike Tyson's *rap sheet* (one of his 'brushes with the law') from the 1970s or the 1980s.

For 10 Points:
May, 1988 Tyson is involved in a New York fender-bender and gives his damaged $183,000 US Bentley convertible to two policemen, who wind up suspended when their superiors found out; Oct. 2, 1988 Police are summoned to Tyson's Bernardsville, N.J., estate after he hurls furniture out the window. Wife Robin Givens flees with her mother and files for divorce five days later; Dec. 12, 1988 A jury finds Tyson guilty of battery and fines him $100 US for grabbing, propositioning and insulting Sandra Miller at a New York nightclub; Dec. 15, 1988 Lori Davis sues Tyson for allegedly grabbing her buttocks while dancing at the same club on the same night; Apr. 9, 1989 Tyson is accused of striking a parking attendant three times with an open hand outside a Los Angeles nightclub, but charges are dropped; Apr. 26, 1989 Tyson is ticketed in Albany, N.Y., for drag racing. He is also ticketed on May 5, again for drag racing
For 5 Points:
1978 Arrested for purse snatching as a 12-year-old in Brooklyn and sent to Tryon School for Boys (2)

He was busted June 21, 1987 for assaulting a parking lot attendant, again in August, 1988 after a street brawl with a fellow boxer and one more time on Sept. 4, 1988 for driving his BMW into a tree, allegedly attempting suicide . Things in the 1990s didn't get much smoother for Mr. Tyson, either ...

2. The film was based on a play that opened on Broadway on March 31, 2005. Kindly tell me one of the four main characters, or the actor who played them, on opening night of the play "Doubt".

For 10 Points:
Sister Aloysius, Cherry Jones (played Sister Aloysius), Adriane Lenox (played Mrs. Muller), Brían F. O'Byrne (played Father Flynn)
For 5 Points:
Father Flynn (4)

Actress Heather Goldenhersh, her character Sister James -and- Mrs. Muller were the other answers on that one.

3. Have a look at Mr. Song's website and tell me a color that their hats are available in there - but pick only ones starting with the letters found in B-A-R-A-C-K ... O-B-A-M-A.

For 10 Points:
Brown, Copper, Mint, Red
For 5 Points:
Mauve (2), Black (2)

Red, orange, aqua, royal and champagne are the other colors at the hat shoppe.

4. All that aside, the crime of wire fraud is codified at 18 U.S.C. § 1343 (as per the U.S. Code), and described briefly. Tell me a word with 7 or 8 letters that appears in that description. Wikipedia might prove expressly helpful there, once again ...

For 10 Points:
Artifice, Foreign,
For 5 Points:
Commerce (2), Defraud (2), Signals (2)

Whoever, devised, property, promises, writings, pictures, purpose and affects were words used in the description, too.

5. Might you tell be an author who showed on that ALA list for 2007? List of 10 spots, 11 authors named.

For 10 Points:
Robert Cormier ("I Am The Cheese", etc.), Kevin Henkes ("Kitten's First Full Moon", etc.), Lois Lowry ("Number the Stars", etc.), Lauren Myracle ("The Fashion Disaster that Changed My Life", etc.), Peter Parnell ("And Tango Makes Three"), Philip Pullman ("His Dark Materials" trilogy, etc.)
For Five Points:
Toni Morrison ("Beloved", etc.) (2)

The remainder of folks on the list were: Justin Richardson ("And Tango Makes Three" - co-author, etc.), Mark Twain ("Tom Sawyer", and so forth), Chris Crutcher ("The Sledding Hill", etc.) and Joann Sfar ("Donjon" series - mostly an illustrator/cartoonist)

The Results!

45 Points! .... deepakmr (nicely done !)
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, deputygary, szabs
35 Points! .... leelee63, maninmidohio, Mugaboo

So there ya have it! Everybody was pretty much tied until the very end of things ... nice tight scores indeed! But it was deepakmr who pulled it out at the finish line. Congratulations (and a *point* distribution) to him -- and thank you all for playing! See you tomorrow .

#453356 - Sun Feb 01 2009 06:04 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
** I owe everyone a truckload of apologies for posting these results so very late .
I've had problems with my Internet provider/connection for a week (been disconnected) and then my computer broke and I am now using my brother's computer whenever available.
Hope the situation improves next week.

ROUND 13 –The FOXY round

Seven fantastic players for this Round . I thank you all for your dedication.

1 -- Please visit the American Fox Terrier Rescue and give me the name of a dog 'starring' in one of those success stories.

10 points: Broadway Susie, Miss Belle, Mitch, Winston, Dude

5 points: Vince [2]

Not mentioned: Dolly, Sam, Cody, Max, Olivia, Jasper, Jenny Rose

2 -- Please name any actor/actress who accompanied Edward Fox in the 1984 film "The Bounty".

10 points: Liam Neeson, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Tevaite Vernette, Malcolm Terris

5 points: Simon Adams [2]

Not mentioned: Mel Gibson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Bernard Hill, Simon Chandler, Dexter Fletcher and some more

3 -- Apart from Jimi Hendrix’s 1967 album "Are You Experienced", kindly give me any other recording that made it to the US National Recording Registry in 2005.

10 points: "Time Out" - The Dave Brubeck Quartet, "Straighten up and Fly Right" - Nat King Cole, Beethoven’s Egmont Overture, Op. 84 (by the Modesto High School Band), “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, “John the Revelator” - Golden Gate Quartet

5 points: “Schooner Bradley” - Pat Bonner [2]

Not mentioned: "Songs in the Key of Life" - Stevie Wonder, United States Military Academy address - William Faulkner, "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On" - Jerry Lee Lewis, "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (radio broadcast) and many many others

4 -- I kindly ask you to visit Larco Museum and pick any International Exhibition that took place between 1996 and 2003.

10 points - ALL: Arte erótico en el Antiguo Perú (Museo Nacional de Arte Decorativo - Buenos Aires, Argentina), Inkat, Ja Heidän edeltäjänsa Perun Kolme Vuosituhatta (Tampereen Taidemuseo - Tampere, Finland), Pérou Millénaire, 3,000 ans d´art préhispanique (Le Bellevue - Biarritz, France), Ofrendas funerarias y arte erótico en el Perú Antiguo (Museo Nacional de Colombia - Bogotá, Colombia), Gold and Treasures of Ancient Peru (The Auckland Museum - Auckland, New Zealand), Gold and Sacrifice: Treasures of Ancient Peru (The Australian Museum - Sydney, Australia), Perú Milenario: 3000 años de arte ancestral (Museo de Bellas Artes de Caracas - Caracas, Venezuela)

Not mentioned: A few more but as we have no repeats for this one I won’t bother listing them

5 -- Give me the name of a fictional FOX and the title of the book, movie, cartoon, videogame, etc. where it appears.

10 points ALL: Millie (from the webcomic “Ozzie and Milly”), Slagar the Cruel (from “Redwall” series by Brian Jacques), Mrs. Fox (from “Fantastic Mr. Fox” by Roald Dahl), Renyard (from folk tales of Medieval Europe), Bold (from “Sonic the Hedgehog” videogame), Rosie (from “Nosy Rosie” by Holly Keller)

The RESULTS for Round 13 are:

With 50 points: Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby, Maninmidohio and Mugaboo – Congratulations!

With 40 points: Szabs, Deepakmr and Deputygary

Well done to our ‘perfect’ winners – Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo - one January point goes to each of them.

#453357 - Sun Feb 01 2009 11:19 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 28 - Wednesday
"Trivial Pursuit"
Eight especially savvy players took part !

1. To start, tell me any four- or five-letter word that can be made using the letters in M-I-H-R-A-B (using each letter only once).

For 10 Points:
Bima (Urdu word for 'insurance'), Harm, Ihram (sacred dress of Muslim pilgrims), Imba (used mostly in online games that have patches or different versions ~ meaning that something is imbalanced and should be "nerfed" or made worse)
For 5 Points:
Brim (2), Iamb (a metrical foot consisting of an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable) (2)

There's probably more (when I wrote the question I think I managed to find 6 4-letter words). The key phrase there was "any word". Which opens the door to many many words.

2. Tell me another person on that MTV (Greatest MCs of All-Time) Top-10 list, OK?

For 10 Points:
Eminem, Jay-Z, LL Cool J, Rakim, KRS-One, Tupac
For 5 Points:
Ice Cube (2)

Big Daddy Kane and Nas joined Notorious B.I.G. on said list ...

3. Kindly tell me any numbered chapter title in the book "Little White Lies, Deep Dark Secrets: The Truth About Why Women Lie," by Susan Barash.

For 10 Points:
Spinning Yarns: Our Mothers' Lessons, Facing Our Lies: Addictions,
For 5 Points:
Cashing In: Money and Lies (2), Family Matters: Shattering Secrets (2), Born Again: Lying to Ourselves (2)

The other chapters are "Sex, Love and Buried Secrets", "Mothering as Myth: Ambivalence and Lies", "Lying to Win: Competitive Lies" and "Bold Secrets: Lies That Make or Break Us".

4. The epitaph on Bose Ikard's grave was transcribed by cattle rancher Charles Goodnight. Tell me a word of six letters or more in it.

For 10 Points:
Engagements, Goodnight, Participated, Served, Splendid, Stampedes
For 5 Points:
Shirked (2)

The epitaph reads as follows:
"Bose Ikard served with me four years on the Goodnight-Loving Trail, never shirked a duty or disobeyed an order, rode with me in many stampedes, participated in three engagements with Comanches, splendid behavior."

5. I'm looking for an ingredient of Mr. John's Chorizo and Seafood Gumbo that is not (in any way) meat or fish that was prepared on that episode.

For 10 Points:
Celery, Green onion, Green bell peppers, Scallions, Vegetable oil, Yellow onions
For 5 Points:
Long grain white rice (2)

In addition to the sausage(s) and seafood, the recipe also calls for all-purpose flour, Creole seasoning, parsley leaves and Louisiana File Powder.

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19, leelee63
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr, deputygary, Mugaboo
35 Points! .... maninmidohio, szabs

Yay! Well-played by all ... but it was "Ladies Night" this time with denni19 and leelee63 earning top scores. And their coveted Trivia Points, too . Great job. Thanks for playing, folks!

#453358 - Sun Feb 01 2009 12:02 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Jan 26 Round – Answers

Seven Superb players took part in the F is for…. round.

1) Please name a movie that any of the actors, who played the friends, did following the end of the “Friends” series, up to end 2008.
For Ten Points: Bedtime Stories (Courteney Cox), Happy Endings (Lisa Kudrow), Kabluey (Lisa Kudrow), P.S. I Love You (Lisa Kudrow), Rumor Has It (Jennifer Aniston)
For Five Points: Numb (Matthew Perry) (2)
Not mentioned: Big Nothing, Birds of America, Derailed, Friends With Money, Marley & Me, The Break-Up, and more

2) “Fernando” – A single by ABBA released in 1976. The English version (ABBA did the Swedish version first) topped the charts in 13 countries. Please name any of these 13 countries.
For Ten Points: Australia, Hungary, The Netherlands
For Five Points: Germany (2), Switzerland (2)
Not mentioned: Austria, Belgium, France, Ireland, Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa, U.K.

3) From here, please give me any one of the “Tips for teaching basic commands” –OR- one of the basic dog commands listed in the first paragraph.
For Ten Points: Come, Never confuse puppy by teaching all commands during the same session, Release your dog from a command enthusiastically by saying: “OK!” or “Good dog!”
For Five Points: Each training session should last only 10-15 minutes long (2), Begin inside the home on leash (2)
Not mentioned: Down, Heel, Sit, Stay, Each session should focus on the command at hand, Practice one command at a time, Use helpful aids of a nylon collar and a 6 foot nylon leash.

4) This page has a “Guide to Superbowl XLIII” which I found very interesting. Please name one of the subjects covered under the “key findings from Nielsen” (7 to choose from) –OR- tell me who performed during last year’s halftime –OR- who will be performing during this year’s halftime.
For Ten Points: Consumer Trends, Music and Movies, Television, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
For Five Points: Snacks and Beer (2)
Not mentioned: Advertisers, Demographics, Online

5) Please give me any food on the “Top 10 Foods that Relieve Stress”.
For Ten Points: Almonds, Beef, Whole-Grain Rice or Pasta
For Five Points: Cantaloupe and Cottage Cheese (2), Sushi (2)
Not mentioned: Blueberries, Broccoli, Fish, Fortified Breakfast Cereal, Milk

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Deputygary No less than full points for Deputygary, great choice of answers!

Other Results:
40 points: Mugaboo, Deepakmr & Szabs
35 points: Maininmidohio & Leelee63
30 points: Gatsby

THANK YOU to all who played. Till Tuesday….

#453359 - Tue Feb 03 2009 12:09 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 30, the Graduation Round, will close in about 24 hours. Plenty of time for new and veteran players to join in the fun. This is the last round for January.

#453360 - Wed Feb 04 2009 01:20 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 30 – Results

We had seven great players this round. Thanks to all for participating in the Graduation Round.

1. Please give me the formal name of any of the first five Pomp and Circumstance Marches or give me the name of the musical friend that Elgar dedicated one of the marches to.

For 10 Points:
March No. 1 in D major, Alfred E. Rodewald , and Dr. Percy C. Hull
For 5 Points: Ivor Atkins (2), Dr. G. Robertson Sinclair (2)
Not Chosen: March No. 2 in A minor, Granville Bantock, March No. 3 in C minor, March No. 4 in G major, and March No. 5 in C major

2. At top40.about.com you will find a “Top Ten Graduation Songs of 2008” list. Please give me any of the ten songs on that list.

For 10 Points:
Bon Jovi - "Welcome to Wherever You Are", Corey Smith - "I'm Not Gonna Cry", Smashing Pumpkins - "Today", and Rusted Root - Send Me on My Way
For 5 Points: Trace Adkins - "You're Gonna Miss This" (3)
Not Chosen: Mandy Moore - "Extraordinary", Rascal Flatts - "My Wish", R.E.M. - "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)", Celine Dion - "These Are the Special Times", and Tod Potter - "Graduation Day"

3. Please give me any of the lines from Vitamin C’s song “Graduation (Friends Forever)” that begins with the letter A. (Because there are different versions of the song out on the Internet, I took any line that a site could be found that presented it as beginning with an “A”)

For 10 Points:
And I keep thinking of that night in June
And there was me and you
And then we got real blue
and we would get so excited and we'd get so scared
And we make the big money
For 5 Points:
As we go on (2)
Not Chosen:
And so we talked all night about the rest of our lives
And if you got something that you need to say
And this is how it feels
All the times we
And as our lives change
And suddenly it's like we're women and men

4. At this site you will find some wise words indeed given to previous graduates. Please give me any of the quotes and author listed here.

For 10 Points:

In football we always said that the other team couldn't beat us. We had to be sure that we didn't beat ourselves. And that's what people have to do, too--make sure they don't beat themselves." Woody Hayes
"My favorite animal is the turtle. The reason is that in order for the turtle to move, it has to stick its neck out. There are going to be times in your life when you’re going to have to stick your neck out. There will be challenges and instead of hiding in a shell, you have to go out and meet them!" Ruth Westheimers
"Just keep trying! Never give up, never, never give up! Because the only person that can stop you is - you!" Yvonne Thornton
"...believe that the sort of life you wish to live is, at this very moment, just waiting for you to summon it up. And when you wish for it, you begin moving toward it, and it, in turn, begins moving toward you." Susan-Lori Parks
“If you want to play a game, go to where it’s played and find a way to get in. Things happen when you get in the game." Chris Matthews
For 5 Points:
"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart." Steve Jobs (2)
Not Chosen: There were nine other quotes to choose from. My favorite of the remaining ones is "It is so easy to waste our lives: our days, our hours, our minutes. It is so easy to take for granted the color of the azaleas, the sheen of the limestone on Fifth Avenue, the color of our kid's eyes, the way the melody in a symphony rises and falls and disappears and rises again. It is so easy to exist instead of live. " Anna Quinlan

5. This site actually has some interesting and unique gifts for the graduate that fall in an affordable price range. Please tell me one of the items offered. (This site actually changed one item on the page in question since the question was first posted. Both the old item and the new were acceptable answers)

For 10 Points: Off to College Gift Box, Dream Believe Achieve Bracelet, Embroidered Graduation Throw, Life Is A Journey Bracelet, and Personalized Graduate Cartoon with Cap & Gown in Any Color
For 5 Points: Graduation Photo and Poem Custom Plaque (2)
Not Chosen: College Survival Kit, 'As You Go' Book, Song-on-CD & Scrapbook/Journal, Off to College Daughter Bracelet, The Dude Kit, and College Spirit Pillowcase

The Results:

50 Points: PDAZ
45 Points: szabs, Tredici, and Mugaboo
40 Points: Gatsby722
35 Points: deepakmr and brandz_mygirl

And so as the strains of Pomp and Circumstance slowly fade into the background we give the much deserved last funtrivia point of January to our valedictorian, PDAZ, who had a perfect score on the final. Well done!

A special welcome goes out to the latest player to join the fun trivia rounds, Tredici. We hope you enjoyed it and will join us for future rounds. Thanks to all who participated in the Graduation Round.

#453361 - Fri Feb 20 2009 11:27 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Here (finally ) are the results for January 2009:

1. deputygary (7 points)
2. denni19
... maninmidohio
(both 6 Points)
4. brandz_mygirl
... deepakmr
... szabs
(all 5 Points)
7. Mugaboo (4 Points)
8. Gatsby722
... leelee63
(both 3 points)
10. PDAZ (2 Points)
11. Gemini19 (1 Point)

Yay! Well done to deputygary !

#453362 - Fri Feb 20 2009 12:22 PM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks for the update Gats, and nicely done Deputygary!

#453363 - Sat Feb 21 2009 06:35 AM Re: January 2009 Trivia Round
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Thanks for this list Gats, congrats go out to Deputygary.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ozzz2002