Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#458036 - Sun Feb 01 2009 02:37 AM February 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
Thursdays - Deepakmr
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Note to new or existing players/hosts: you'll notice, up there, that Thursdays are now wide open - and an additional host could be used on Saturdays as well. Having it as such is not, I suppose, disruptive in the "big scheme of things" ... BUT if anybody'd like to jump in, try their hand at hosting (or even host a round or two more in a month), make yourselves known !
At any rate, for now, that is the roster for the month of February. Any and all changes can be made as we go ...

Edited by denni19 (Sun Mar 01 2009 03:42 AM)

#458037 - Mon Feb 02 2009 02:08 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 2 ~ Monday

I caught a movie this week past - a "big" one, too! A whimsical exploration of a little boy born *old* (visibly, anyway) who grows into maturity appearing younger with each passing year. A costly devil to film, they say, and the movie was [visually] a fine experience. But did I like it bunches? I feel heartless and cynical-to-the-bone to confess that I just found it "OK". It seemed to me it tried to do all the thinking for us ... and, in so doing, never gave me (for one) the opportunity to 'attach' to the characters in it. But it wasn't a bad film, never that. Just not as impacting as I expected it to be ...

1. Movies like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button have Academy Awards written all over them. It's a mix of history, exceptional photography, interesting gimmicks, a potent love story and a hearty dollop of "aw, shucks" moments -- countered by a few heartbreaks, of course -- with one or three well-known (photogenic) actors thrown in? Just nominate it for everything, and don't think twice! Button did get the most Academy Award nominations this year (13), to the surprise of few. Let's start with you telling me any category wherein The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is Oscar-nominated. Not that you asked, but my prediction is that the film will lose in nine of those categories ...

2. The story begins with a rather odd report ~ a sad blind fellow has lost his son in Word War I, and commences with the construction of a grand and massive clock. It is ornate and lovely indeed ... but to the dismay of most, the thing runs backwards. Why? So that it can go back in time and the soldiers killed in the war will get to be alive again (and, audience, this qualifies as a major "aw, shucks" moment, just so you know). The public reception of his handiwork is disastrous, however. He gets even sadder, and ends up in a rowboat ... drifting off to sea, never to be heard from again. In searching, thematically, I found a collection of poetry written by Thomas Lux in 2001 called "The Street of Clocks". He's no F. Scott, I'd imagine, but he has been a recipient of three grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and earned the $50,000 Kingsley Tufts Poetry Award, too. Please tell me another book/collection by Thomas Lux (aside from "The Street of Clocks").

3. Benjamin Button was, originally, a short story written by [yay!] F. Scott Fitzgerald, and has been in various stages of development for years. Just HOW to film it caused many glitches. That it finally morphed from a short story into a nearly 3-hour technical extravaganza means it went through many tonal changes all over the place. Notably the locations. In the original, young wrinkly Benjamin was born in Baltimore. In the cinematic version his stuck-in-reverse self (burdened with cataracts, no less) found life in New Orleans, Louisiana -- which kinda worked because the early parts could be all full of roaring 20s jazz/bluesy friskiness and the latter parts could end with a devastating hurricane-ish bang. New Orleans, however, is a great "character" all by itself. It was named by MSN Travel as one of the 15 Coolest North American Cities. Have a look at the list and give me the name of the current mayor of any of those other 14 cities, OK? No need to mention the city itself.

4. Aside from lush settings in pulsating places films like this tend to benefit from soundtracks that dazzle from the flavor of the story AND the geography/timeframe of it, too. From the moment we see little (old) Benjamin plunking away at a piano (knowing, o' course, that he'll be a maestro in no time), hear the jazz flow through streets of the 1920s or the wistful chords of World War II (and beyond), we darned well know that the music matters. Benjamin Button benefited from ragtime, classical and many timely tunes, from Camille Saint-Saëns to Canadian independent rock (a song called "My Body Is A Cage" ~ get the relevance ?) to Scott Joplin! I liked the traditional ditties, many borrowed from the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou?. An old favorite heard in the promos for The Curious Case ... is Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby - considering the circumstances of young Button's abandonment soon after birth, I'm thinking that'd be one of the 'heartbreak' songs, eh? Kindly tell me a line from that oft-recorded tune. Versions may differ a bit - so slight variations on this line or that one will be counted as the same line.

5. So, finally (and since BOTH cities were mentioned here), we'll close up the bittersweeet homage to a baby who was born old (an infant left on the steps of a real old folks home while notably resembling George Burns, later finding middle age looking a LOT like Brad Pitt ...) by talking about the landscape of the stories that describe him. In the short tale penned by Fitzgerald he was born in Baltimore (as mentioned). In the cinematic spin, he was born in Louisiana (as mentioned more). Simple enough, then, I reckon. On a map of the USA, assign a straight (no loops or detours) line from Baltimore, Maryland to New Orleans, Louisiana and tell me any state said line passes through or touches as it goes. I used an actual *book* on that one - I'd forgotten one could reference stuff that way - and came up with nine states.

This (lengthy mess of a) Round will close up on Friday, around noon. Have a great early February week! And, please, by all means encourage your local groundhogs to get it right this year, too .

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Feb 02 2009 05:14 AM)

#458038 - Tue Feb 03 2009 05:25 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Tuesday Feb 3 – Quiz

Related to U.S. TV – I’m not sure whether to put in this note, but staying cautious, ….Possible SPOILER in Q3 for C.S.I. Season 9. If you haven’t seen Season 9 and don’t want to be ‘spoiled’, don’t read the question. U.S. and Canadian viewers need not worry as the event occurred in the 15 January episode. I know it’s not easy to avoid reading the question, wish I could ‘hide’ it somehow. I will send out a spoiler-safe’ version of it to anyone who wants it. Actually I think the news has been posted on many entertainment web sites for a while now and the possibility of the event happening has been discussed for the last year or two.

1) One of my (recent) favorite pastimes is to check out the U.S. overnight Nielsen TV ratings. I particularly enjoy viewers’ comments, good and bad, on shows. I think I have a better idea of what is being shown on U.S. broadcast networks then what is being shown on local television here. What makes me kinda sad is that I won’t get to see most of these new episodes of existing shows or new shows until much later in the year, possibly next year or maybe even never. Since this is a Tuesday round, we will look at last Tuesday’s (27 January) primetime TV ratings. From here, please name any primetime TV show that had an 18-34 rating of 2.0 and above. In case any one’s interested, there is an explanation (I thought it was really clear) of what these 18-49 and 18-34 ratings mean.

2) The post-Super Bowl TV slot is probably the most coveted in TV land. The Super Bowl is the most watched TV show in the U.S. (in 2008, there were 97 million viewers for Super Bowl XLII). Networks, who get to broadcast the Super Bowl, ponder long and hard as to which of their shows get that prime spot with the huge (potential) audience lead in. This year NBC chose “The Office” as its Super Bowl lead out. Please name a post-Super Bowl TV show from the years 1999 to 2008. If there are 2 half hour shows in any year, please pick just one show.

3) Police procedural “C.S.I”, currently in its 9th season, had a major character leaving the show midway through the season. “Gil Grissom” who headed the Las Vegas crime lab, and had been with the show since its 2000 premiere, retired and was last seen in Costa Rica. William Petersen who played “Gil Grissom” has publicly stated that he is returning to the stage and “it’s good to get back to the theatre”. He is set to star in the drama “Blackbird” at the Victory Gardens Theater in Chicago from July to August this year. Please give me the name of another play that is being or will held at the Victory Gardens Theater during the 2008-2009 season.

4) “Hell’s Kitchen”, the reality TV cooking competition created by and starring Gordon Ramsay, began its 5th season on 29 January. Apart from the skills, or non-skills as the case may be, of the various chefs as they cook their way to hopeful victory over the other contestants, the show is well-known for the razor-sharp tongue and profane language of its creator and judge. This year there are 16 hardy souls competing. Please tell me the town/city and state from whence these 16 came from. I think I see a duplicate city so that means 15 possible answers.

5) Starting in 2005, “Animal Planet” has aired the “Puppy Bowl” on Super Bowl afternoons. Wikipedia has a nice description of the format of the Puppy Bowl if you want to know more about the show. There is even half-time entertainment courtesy of the Bissell Kitty Half-Time Show. The stars of “Puppy Bowl” are puppies from shelters and the show provides information on how to go about adopting rescued puppies and help local shelters. Puppy Bowl has become increasingly popular, starting with an average of 690,000 viewers for its first outing to over 8 million viewers in 2008. I don’t yet have the figures for 2009. Please give me any puppy's name from the starting line-up for Puppy Bowl V.

Yay, managed to get this round out on the day it’s supposed to be out. This round will close on Sunday 8 February at noon FT time. Wishing one and all a good day.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Feb 03 2009 05:28 AM)

#458039 - Wed Feb 04 2009 03:30 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 4th February 2009
Q1 A film beginning with C
Q2 A song title beginning with C
Q3 A book title beginning with C
Q4 An eight letter word beginning with C
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with C
This round will close over the weekend

#458040 - Thu Feb 05 2009 07:27 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Round 5 – Thursday

Thanks to Dave who has kindly allowed me to host today’s round . Hope I can meet up to all of your expectations.

This round is my tribute to my favourite author Michael Crichton, who passed away on 4th November 2008.

Q1: Michael Crichton started off his career writing medical fictions. He initially began writing novels under the pen names of John Lange and Jeffrey Hudson. His first novel under his own name was ‘The Andromeda Strain’ and it was made into a film, like many of his other works. Please go to Michael Crichton’s official website and go to the Books and Movies links. From the list of novels and movies, please give me the title of any novel/movie listed, after 1986.

Q2: Michael Crichton’s most famous novel was ‘Jurassic Park’. Spielberg had signed up Crichton for the movie, even before the novel was released. The book and the movie won Crichton instant superstardom and he even had a dinosaur Crichtonosaurus bohlini named after him. There were some significant differences between the book and the movie. Please go to the Wikipedia page for the novel and to the link that lists out the differences between the book and movie. From there, please name any of the dinosaur species from the novel that did not appear in the movie.

Q3 : Crichton’s novels usually focused on the negative aspects of science and technology and its potential for misuse. Most of his novels have post scripts articulating his views. If you go back to Crichton’s official website, you will see a list of nine essays written by him. Please tell me the title of any one of the essays.

Q4 : Many of Crichton’s novels were made into movies. However, all were not as successful as the Jurassic series. ‘Sphere’ is a Crichton novel made into a movie in 1998. Please go to the IMDB page for the movie and tell me the name of an actor/actress who acted in the movie and whose character’s name is listed in the page (thus leaving out the pilot, seaman, instructor and officials).

Q5 : Crichton is known for his controversial views on various topics. For instance in ‘State of Fear’, he took on the proponents of global warming and even made environmentalists as the villains in the novel. In his last novel published before his death, ‘Next’, he opposed the idea of gene patents. Going back to Crichton’s official website for one last time, we can see a link leading to a list of speeches made by Crichton. Please tell me the topic of any one of the speeches made by Crichton after 2000.

This round will close on 8th February, Sunday. Looking forward to your participation.

#458041 - Thu Feb 05 2009 05:47 PM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 6

In my part of the world it's already the 6th, and as I am going to be on a plane for the next few hours, I thought I better post these in case I get stuck at some airport and can't post them in time, so here is my round which is dedicated to Charles Dickens.

1. Charles John Huffam Dickens is probably England's most popular author. He was born in Portsmouth, England on February 7, 1812, but spent most of his childhood in London where he based many of his novels. He started writing short stories at the age of 24 and continued to write until his death in 1890. Dickens completed 14 novels and was writing another one at the time of his death. The novel was left unfinished, and readers have often speculated how it might have ended. Would you please tell me the name of one of Dickens novels.

2. In 1836, Dickens married Catherine Thomson Hogarth, She was the eldest daughter of George Hogarth, editor of the Evening Chronicle where Dickens was a young journalist at the time. Charles and Catherine became quite a prolific family as they produced ten children. Over the subsequent years Dickens found Catherine an increasingly incompetent mother and housekeeper and blamed her for the birth of their 10 children, which caused him financial worries, the couple separated in 1858. Please give me the name of one of their children.

3. The Charles Dickens Museum in London has the world's most important collection of material relating to the great Victorian novelist, it’ s a must see for any enthusiast of this author. From their web site please tell me one of the “GIFTS” you can buy at the museum.

4. The Dickens Fellowship is a worldwide association of people who share an interest in the life and works of Charles Dickens, it was founded in 1902 in England, and membership is open to anybody, anywhere in the world, who shares the Fellowship's interests. Branches of the Fellowship are found in 10 different countries, Each branch is independent and arranges its own programme of events, in accordance with local traditions and history, the next annual conference will be held in Cleveland, Ohio, from Thursday 30th July to Wednesday 5th August 2009. Could you please tell me one of the countries where there is a branch of the Dickens Fellowship.

5. To end this round I would like you to give me a 7 or more letter word made out of the letters in Charles Dickens.

This round will end on Wednesday 11th around noon FT time. Till then, I wish you all a great weekend .

Edited by szabs (Thu Feb 05 2009 05:51 PM)

#458042 - Fri Feb 06 2009 03:33 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Eight hours to go on "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" Round (Round 2). Room for more players to get their answers in (and a couple o' 'regulars' remain, as yet, unheard from too). Gettin' down to the proverbial wire now ...

#458043 - Fri Feb 06 2009 11:14 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 2 - Monday
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Seven awesome players !

1. Let's start with you telling me any category wherein The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is Oscar-nominated.

For 10 Points:
Best Film Editing, Best Makeup, Best Supporting Actress
For 5 Points:
Best Director (2), Best Original Score (2)

It's also up for (Best) Picture, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Art Direction, Costume Design, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

2. Please tell me another book/collection by Thomas Lux (aside from "The Street of Clocks").

For 10 Points:
The Blind Swimmer: Selected Early Poems, 1970-1975; The Cradle Place; The Drowned River; God Particles; Pecked to Death by Swans
For 5 Points:
The Glassblower's Breath (2)

"Memory's Handgrenade", "Sunday", "Half Promised Land", "Split Horizon" and "New and Selected Poems, 1975-1995" are the others.

3. New Orleans, however, is a great "character" all by itself. It was named by MSN Travel as one of the 15 Coolest North American Cities. Have a look at the list and give me the name of the current mayor of any of those other 14 cities, OK?

For 10 Points:
Sam Adams (Portland, Oregon), Thomas M. Menino (Boston, Massachusetts), Raymond Thomas "R.T." Rybak, Jr. (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
For 5 Points:
John Hickenlooper (Denver, Colorado) (2), Michael Nutter (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) (2)

The remaining applicable mayors would be: Adrian Fenty, Richard M. Daley, David Coss, Otis Johnson, Michael Bloomberg, Gregor Robertson, Oscar B. Goodman, Karl Dean and Will Wynn.

4. An old favorite heard in the promos for The Curious Case ... is Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby - considering the circumstances of young Button's abandonment soon after birth, I'm thinking that'd be one of the 'heartbreak' songs, eh? Kindly tell me a line from that oft-recorded tune.

For 10 Points:
Go to sleep you little baby; Come and lay your bones on the alabaster stones; And be my ever lovin' baby
For 5 Points:
Gonna bring a bottle to the baby (2); She's long gone with the red shoes on (2)

Daddy's gone away to stay, too, by the way -- amongst other things mentioned in the song.

5. On a map of the USA, assign a straight (no loops or detours) line from Baltimore, Maryland to New Orleans, Louisiana and tell me any state said line passes through or touches as it goes.

For 10 Points:
Alabama, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Tennessee
For 5 Points:
North Carolina (2)

Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia would've also worked!

The Results!

50 Points! .... leelee63 ~ Brava! Well done !
45 Points! .... deepakmr
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
35 Points! .... Mugaboo, szabs, Tredici
30 Points! .... maninmidohio

Excellent showing, everyone and I, too, would like to welcome Tredici to the games. It is leelee63 who rocked it today, though, topping the charts with a perfect score! *Congrats!* to her - and I hope everyone's February is off to a very cool start.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Feb 06 2009 02:37 PM)

#458044 - Sat Feb 07 2009 04:45 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 7 - Saturday 7th February

1. Name any television series that has at least two episodes with the word "Moon" included in the episode title.
2. Give me an anagram of any word from the famous quote by Neil Armstrong, when he first set foot on the moon.
3. Name a church in Moon Township, Pennsylvania.
4. Copper Moonshine Stills are located in Arkansas, please give me the name of any Still they have for sale. (Those that come in different sizes, I'll count as one)
5. A full moon is given a different names, depending on when it appears. Give me one of those names as used by the Dakotah Sioux.

Round closes noon Thursday (FT time).

#458045 - Sat Feb 07 2009 11:05 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 5 (Michael Crichton) will be closing in about 24 hours from now.

#458046 - Sat Feb 07 2009 11:20 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Following on from Deepakmr's post, Round 3 will also be closing in around 24 hours time (noon Sunday FT time).

#458047 - Sun Feb 08 2009 11:07 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 5 – Thursday
Michael Crichton

Seven fantastic players participated in this round. A special thanks to the super seven who participated in my first round. Hope you liked my first attempt!

Q1: From the list of novels and movies, please give me the title of any novel/movie listed, after 1986.

For 10 points: Travels, Jurassic Park, Rising Sun, Disclosure, Airframe, State of Fear, Timeline

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned : Sphere, The Lost World, Twister, Prey and Next

Q2: Please name any of the dinosaur species from the novel (‘Jurassic Park’) that did not appear in the movie.

For 10 points: Microceratops, Styracosaurus, Stegosaurus, Hypsilophodon

For 5 points: Euoplocephalus (3)

Not mentioned : Apatosaurus, Othnelia and Maisaura

Q3: Please tell me the title of any one of the essays (written by Crichton).

For 10 points: Patenting life, This Essay breaks the law, Happiness, How to fight, Men’s Hearts

For 5 points: America Beyond (2)

Not mentioned : Bodysnatchers, Love is and Panic in the sheets

Q4: Please go to the IMDB page for the movie ('Sphere')and tell me the name of an actor/actress who acted in the movie and whose character’s name is listed in the page.

For 10 points: Sharon Stone, Samuel Jackson

For 5 points: Peter Coyote (2), Liev Schreiber (3)

Not mentioned : Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah and Marga Gomez

Q5: Please tell me the topic of any one of the speeches made by Crichton after 2000.

For 10 points: Science policy in the 21st century, Testimony before the US Senate

For 5 points: Why Speculate (3), The Case for Scepticism on Global Warming (2)

Not mentioned : Aliens cause global warming, Environmentalism in religion, Complexity theory and Genetic research & legislative needs

And the final results:

45 points : Mugaboo, denni19
40 points: brandz_mygirl, szabs
35 points: Tredici, maninmidohio, Gatsby722

And the winners for this round are Mugaboo and denni19. Congrats to both for winning this round.

Thanks again to all the participants. I had a great time hosting this round. Hope to see you again next week .

#458048 - Sun Feb 08 2009 01:03 PM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Feb 3 Round – Answers

Eight Exceptional players for Related to U.S. TV.

1) Since this is a Tuesday round, we will look at last Tuesday’s (27 January) primetime TV ratings. From here, please name any primetime TV show that had an 18-34 rating of 2.0 and above.
For Ten Points: The Mentalist, Scrubs
For Five Points: The Biggest Loser: Couples (2), Fringe (2), Fuego en la Sangre (2)
Not mentioned: American Idol, Cuidado con el Angel, NCIS.

2) Please name a post-Super Bowl TV show from the years 1999 to 2008. If there are 2 half hour shows in any year, please pick just one show.
For Ten Points: Alias, American Dad, Grey’s Anatomy, Malcolm in the Middle, The Practice, The Simpsons, Survivor, Survivor All-Stars
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Criminal Minds, Family Guy, House.

3) Please give me the name of another play (other than “Blackbird”) that is being or will held at the Victory Gardens Theater during the 2008-2009 season.
For Ten Points: Family Saturday, Flex Passes, Living Green, Love Person, The Snow Queen
For Five Points: Class Dismissed (3)
Not mentioned: Eurydice, Fresh Squeezed Series, Lincoln Park Neighbors Night.

4) Please tell me the town/city and state from whence these 16 (the competitors at the start of “Hell’s Kitchen” 5th season) came from.
For Ten Points: Destin-Florida, Elgin-Illinois, Las Vegas-Nevada, Palisades Park-New Jersey, Reading-Pennsylvania
For Five Points: Edgewater-Florida (3)
Not mentioned: Austin-Texas, Charlotte-North Carolina, Chicago-Illinois, Clifton Park-New York, Coconut Creek-Florida, Knoxville-Tennessee, New York-New York, Papillion-Nebraska, Quogue-New York.

5) Please give me any puppy’s name from the starting line-up for Puppy Bowl V.
For Ten Points: Bella, Buster, Elvira, Issac
For Five Points: Indigo (2), Mac (2)
Not mentioned: Alex, Braedyn, Brandi, Candy Apple, Candy Corn, Charlie Brown, Eli, Griffey, Gypsy, Jacob, Madeline, Matilda, Mercy, Moose.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Leelee63 Congratulations to Leelee for winning a very close round.

Other Results:
40 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby, Maninmidohio, Deepakmr, Szabs, Denni
35 points: Tredici

Grateful thanks to everyone who sent in answers. Be back real soon (hopefully).

#458049 - Mon Feb 09 2009 03:13 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 4th February 2009 results
Q1 A film beginning with C
FOR TEN POINTS:
Charlie Chan and the Curse of the Dragon Queen (1981), Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", Cast Away, Cry Freedom (1987), "Contraband", Conquest of Space (1955), Car 54, Where Are You? (1994), Capricorn One (1978),,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Cinderella (1950) and more

Q2 A song title beginning with C
FOR TEN POINTS:
C'est What? (Supertramp), ”Crystalline Green” by Goldfrapp, "Carefree Highway" by the great Gordon Lightfoot, Cherry Cherry (Neil Diamond), Come as You are – Nirvana, "Crime in the City", Canary In A Coalmine (The Police), 'Celebrity Skin' – Hole, Champagne Supernova – Oasis,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:

Q3 A book title beginning with C
FOR TEN POINTS:
Call for the Dead (John le Carré), “Charlie Mike” by Leonard B. Scott, "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier - The movie pretty much did the book justice, Carrie (Stephen King), Cocktail Time – P G Wodehouse, "Chasing Redbird", Compulsion (Keith Ablow), "Conagher" by Louis L'Amour, "Court Martial" by Sven Hassel,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Cat Among the Pigeons (Agatha Christie) and more

Q4 An eight letter word beginning with C
FOR TEN POINTS:
Collapse, Cavalier, Corridor, Carefree, Classics, caginess, Coagulum, CLIPPERS, Crusader,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Creating and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with C
FOR TEN POINTS:
Custard, Cashew nuts, Cucumber, Caramels, Coconut biscuit, creamsicle, Carambola Fruit, Casaba (melons), Chelsea bun,
FOR FIVE POINTS: Ten points to all
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Chocolate and more

SCORES – Nine players
brandz_mygirl – 50
Deepakmr – 50
Denni – 50
Gatsby – 50
leelee63 - 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs - 50
Tredici - 50

Well done to all!

#458050 - Mon Feb 09 2009 08:55 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday Feb 9 – Quiz

More Fs, I’m afraid. A continuation of the alphabet rounds…

1) F is for Fiona. “Princess Fiona” is a character from the “Shrek” movies. From Imdb, please name an actor/actress from the first of the “Shrek” movies whose first name begins with a letter of the alphabet that comes BEFORE the letter “F”.

2) Food – Singaporeans are known for their love of good food. They will travel far and wide (well, as far and wide as Singapore is big ) for food. The “Makansutra” is a food guide detailing all the best foods available in the country and it doesn’t just focus on the top (and expensive) restaurants. From “Makansutra”’s website, please name one of the restaurants/food shops that is mentioned under ‘Singapore’s Top 10 listings’. For interest’s sake, the word “Makan” is the Malay word for “eat” and “Sutra”, well you know what they got it from.

3) “The Flintstones” – the “modern” stone-age family starring Fred, Wilma, Pebbles and their neighbours, the Rubbles. I loved the cartoon and would always sing along with the theme song. Please give me ANY word from the theme song that does not have an apostrophe. I noticed a few different words in the song on different sites, so for consistency’s sake, please use this version.

4) Fox Broadcasting Company, better known as just “Fox”, is an American TV network owned by the ‘gi-normous’ News Corporation. Please name any primetime show that was broadcast by Fox during the week from 2 – 8 February. You may use this site to get your answers. HINT: Look under ‘Overnight’. The site’s Sunday results should be available before end of today FT time. I will go by the show’s name, so it doesn’t matter if the show runs over a few days or runs an original and repeat in the same week, it’s still one show. (I know I just did a TV round last week. I give my word that I will strive to avoid anything TV related in my next round. )

5) The “F” word - Please give me a word that (a) starts with the letter ‘F’ (b) has a letter repeated in the word, repeated letters must be next to each other, and (c) has a maximum of 7 letters.

This round will close at noon on Sunday 15 Feb, FT time. Gentle Monday wishes to everyone.

#458051 - Tue Feb 10 2009 07:26 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 10 - Tuesday

1. Born on February 10, 1950, Mark Spitz is a (now retired) American swimmer, best known for winning seven gold medals at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games. During his life and career, Spitz has won nine Olympic gold medals, set 33 world records, was named World Swimmer of the Year (in 1969, 1971 and 1972), ranked #33 on ESPN SportsCentury 50 Greatest Athletes being the only aquatic athlete to make the Top 50 list and was inducted in eight Halls of Fame.
** Please have a look at the International Swimming Hall of Fame [where Mark Spitz was inducted in 1977] and give me any other swimmer that made it to the list during the '70s and whose surname starts with "S".
** Edited to add: ANY "S" person inducted during the '70s will do, not only swimmers.**

2. Spitz-type dogs are a type of dog, characterized by long, thick, and often white fur, and pointed ears and muzzles. The tail is usually curled over the dog's back. The exact origins of Spitz-type dogs are not known, though most of the Spitz-types seen today originate from the Arctic regions and the common belief is that the ancestors of Spitz types mated with wolves. In more recent times humans have intentionally mated Spitz types with wolves to achieve or maintain the wolf-like appearance of various breeds which have been developed to fit three purposes helping humans: hunting, herding, and pulling sleds.
** Please check with Wikipedia, find the list/table of Spitz-type dog breeds and have your pick from the breeds that are illustrated with a photo.

3. The most famous sled dog is probably Balto, a Siberian Husky who led his team on the final leg of the 1925 serum run to Nome, in which diphtheria antitoxin, much needed to combat an outbreak of the disease, was transported from Anchorage, Alaska to Nenana, Alaska by train and then to Nome by dog sled.
As one of the most courageous canines of all time, leading his mates through fierce blizzards to save the life of the children of Nome, Balto's heroic endeavour was pictured into an animation movie in 1995.
** Please give me any line from "Reach for the Light" (performed by Steve Windwood) - the main theme from the "Balto" movie.

4. The City of Nome is Alaska's oldest continuous first class city, incorporated on April 9, 1901. Nome is located on the south coast of the Seward Peninsula facing Norton Sound, part of the Bering Sea and is the commercial hub of northwestern Alaska, as well as the site for the finish of the 1049-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race from Anchorage each March. Approximately 20-23,000 visitors come to Nome each year and the city provides many varied attractions and activities to be enjoyed around the year.
** Let us now enjoy some native crafts - please visit this page and choose your favourite among the Gift Shops to be found in Nome.

5. Speaking of gifts... Valentine's Day is not too far away .
** From HERE have your pick of an "un-giftable" item featured in that article.

Round 10 will be closed on Saturday at noon, FT time. Hope you're all having a fabulous start of the week.

Edited by denni19 (Wed Feb 11 2009 03:09 AM)

#458052 - Tue Feb 10 2009 08:03 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Hello all just a quick reminder that Round 6 will be closing in about 24 hours. Plenty of time for latecomers and new participants are more than welcome.

#458053 - Wed Feb 11 2009 06:31 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 11 ~ Wednesday

These questions seem a bit dry this time (I apologize in advance for it, too) but I found a new TV show that grabbed my interest, so used it as a 'theme' [of sorts]. I promise, though -- it's a quite fascinating, and well-done, program. But it might *sound* about as exciting as watching paint dry ...

1. The twist that makes "Lie To Me" different from other TV shows acrawl with crime solvers and cold-blooded murderers is that the perps of the hateful deed(s) in it are revealed NOT by what they say or leave behind ... but by how they move. A shifty arch of the eyebrow, a twitch of the nose, and so forth? You're sunk . Body language is an inclusive 'science' -- it looks at body movements in addition to sounds, verbal language, etc. Some researchers put the level of nonverbal communication as high as 80% of all communication but more reasonable estimates land at around 50-65%. One esteemed study found that only 7% comes from spoken words, 38% is from the tone of the voice, and 55% comes from body language! According to the Wikipedia page on Body Language women, for example, commonly display interest in men via sexual "cues". Please tell me one of the cues to signal female interest that is mentioned on Wikipedia.

2. The main character in "Lie To Me" is based (more or less) on Paul Ekman. He's a psychologist who pioneered the study of emotions as they relate to facial expressions. Ekman devised a list of basic emotions from cross-cultural research on remote tribesmen of Papua New Guinea. He observed that they could reliably identify the expressions of emotion in photographs of people from cultures with which they were not at all familiar. They could also ascribe facial expressions to descriptions of situations. On this evidence, he concluded that some emotions were basic or biologically universal to all humans. From there, Ekman offered a list of our 'basic' emotions: Anger, Disgust, Fear, Happiness, Sadness and Surprise - all 'validated' by the look on one's face. The University of Georgia found Paul Ekman's works so impressive they named him one of the 100 Eminent Psychologists of the 20th Century. Tell me a psychologist who ranked within five spots higher or within five spots lower on that list than Ekman did.

3. The above six basic emotions (made 'official' in 1972) didn't seem to cover the practical map of matters, though, and our researcher decided that further investigation into the matter was called for in the 1990s. Evidently the need for this was sparked by his observation that not all positive and negative emotions are, or can be, "encoded in facial muscles"? So Mr. Ekman dutifully tacked on eleven more to his previous list. Please tell me one of those additional *eleven* emotions.

4. Tim Roth (born Timothy Simon Smith, in 1961) is an English film actor and director, best known for his roles in Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, The Incredible Hulk, and Rob Roy, for which he received an Academy Award Nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He now plays Cal Lightman in "Lie to Me" and heads up the organization that studies the body/facial gestures of countless suspicious individuals in it. Roth was also nominated for The Saturn Award for Rob Roy, but he lost to Brad Pitt. The Saturns are presented annually by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films to honor the top works in those genres. The physical award is a representation of the planet Saturn, surrounded with a ring of film, and is often referred to as a "Golden Scroll". This time, kindly tell me a winner of the Saturn in the category for which Roth was nominated. But only pick winners from any year that is divisible by 5. And don't pick Brad Pitt ...

5. "Lie To Me" has, like any other everything on the planet, its own *official* website (courtesy of its home network, Fox). It's rather interesting to browse through - full of videos where we can watch and try to determine who the duplicitous and sneaky liars are vs. the honest-to-the-bone truth tellers, amongst other tidbits of TV trivial data and adventurousness. One of their quizzes there is labelled 'Test 1', and it asks some cut-and-dried questions in the format of "What percentage of people do *X* thing (whereupon a situation is described)?". That sort of thing. Go ahead and take that test and tell me a question -or- a correct answer in it. Which means your answers will be an interrogative sentence or a number/percent, yes?

Okey dokey ! This'll close up on Sunday ... around midday. See you then!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Feb 11 2009 07:52 AM)

#458054 - Thu Feb 12 2009 01:50 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 6 - Answers

We had eight fearsome players in this round dedicated to Charles Dickens.

1. Charles John Huffam Dickens is probably England's most popular author. He was born in Portsmouth, England on February 7, 1812, Would you please tell me the name of one of Dickens novels.

For 10 Points : Oliver Twist, Dombey & Sons, The Old Curiosity Shop, David Copperfield
For 5 Points : Great Expectations (2), Our Mutual Friend (2)
Among others: The Pickwick Papers, A Tale of Two Cities, Hard Times: For These Times

2. In 1836, Dickens married Catherine Thomson Hogarth, She was the eldest daughter of George Hogarth, editor of the Evening Chronicle where Dickens was a young journalist at the time. Charles and Catherine became quite a prolific family as they produced ten children. Please give me the name of one of their children.

For 10 Points : Alfred D'Orsay Tennyson, Kate Macready
For 5 Points : Sir Henry Fielding (2), Sydney Smith Haldimand (2), Dora Annie (2)
The Others: Charles Culliford Boz , Mary Angela , Walter Landor , Francis Jeffrey , Edward

3. The Charles Dickens Museum in London has the world's most important collection of material relating to the great Victorian novelist, it’ s a must see for any enthusiast of this author. From their web site please tell me one of the “GIFTS” you can buy at the museum.

For 10 Points : Charles Dickens Mug, London Street Map 1843, Bookplates, Pickwick Papers Quill Pen, Leather Bookmark, The Old Curiousity Shop 3D paper Model
For 5 Points : Doorknocker (2)
Among others: Art & Writing Dip Penset, Boxed Ink, Bust of Charles Dickens, Victorian Travelling Inkwell

4. The Dickens Fellowship is a worldwide association of people who share an interest in the life and works of Charles Dickens, it was founded in 1902 in England, and membership is open to anybody, anywhere in the world, who shares the Fellowship's interests Could you please tell me one of the countries where there is a branch of the Dickens Fellowship.

For 10 Points : Australia, The Netherlands, Canada, Poland
For 5 Points : New Zealand (2), France (2)
The others: Denmark, India, Japan, USA
5. To end this round I would like you to give me a 7 or more letter word made out of the letters in Charles Dickens.

10 Points to all : Cleansed, Reckless, Lancers, Slander, cashiers, Dialers, Licensed, Slanderish
Others: Chandelier, Increased and many more.

Scores
We have two winners with 45 points : Brandz_mygirl & Tredici
With 40 points: Deepakmr, Denni19, Gatsby722, Leelee63 & Mugaboo
With 30 points: Maninmidohio

A hearty congratulations goes out to both winners in this round Brand_mygirl & Tredici , each will receive a trivia point in the month of February. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#458055 - Thu Feb 12 2009 07:41 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 12 – Thursday

I recently watched an interesting program on Animal Planet, titled Misunderstood Monsters. The program was about certain animals that are feared as monsters, when in reality they are not all that dangerous. The program covered ten such monsters, but we will look at five of them in the Misunderstood Monsters round.

Q1: The piranha has a dangerous reputation and has been depicted in many novels and movies of being able to strip a man to his bone in minutes. But in reality, they would rather prefer to eat fruits and insects. The stories of them being man-eaters are mostly tall tales. If you go to this link, you will find the details of places where piranhas have been found. Please tell me any of those places.

Q2: Next on our list of misunderstood monsters is the shark. While there is no doubt that a shark can tear a human being apart, the reality is that like most wild animals, they attack only if provoked. In fact, statistics show that there was only one fatal shark attack in the whole of 2008. Please go this page and pick any one of the eight orders (to which sharks belong) listed on the page.

Q3 : The next misunderstood monster is the anaconda, the giant snake which according to legends (and Hollywood) can swallow a human being. The reality is that – it is physically just not possible for an anaconda to swallow a human being alive. Please go to the Wiki page for the 'Anaconda' (1997) movie and select any one of the actors/actresses who acted in the movie and whose name is listed in the page.

Q4 : Spiders are one of the creepy-crawlies that are most feared by people. The Tarantula is yet another misunderstood monster. The size and appearance of the tarantula makes it appear a monster. But again the fact remains that the bite of the tarantula is no worse than that of a wasp sting. So would you like to keep a tarantula as a pet? If you visit this page, you can see a list of tarantulas for sale. Kindly select the name of any of the tarantulas listed, whose biological name starts with the letter ‘A’ or ‘B’.

Q5 : Last on our list is the Gorilla. Its fearsome appearance coupled with its portrayal in movies and books makes it one of the misunderstood monsters. The gorilla is an herbivore and is most unlikely to kill human beings, let alone eat them! Gorillas are also very intelligent and very popular in zoos. This page has the photographs of some silverback gorillas, please tell me the name of any of the gorillas, whose photo is displayed.

This round will end on 16 February Monday 9am FT time. Looking forward to your answers

#458056 - Thu Feb 12 2009 12:32 PM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 7 - 7 played

1. Name any television series that has at least two episodes with the word "Moon" included in the episode title.
For 10 points: I Dream of Jeannie; Sailor Moon
For 5 points: Hawaii Five-O [3]; Touched By An Angel [2]
Not mentioned include: Gargoyles; Horizon; Jackanory; Mystery Science Theater 3000; Men Into Space; Smurfs

2. Give me an anagram of any word from the famous quote by Neil Armstrong, when he first set foot on the moon.
For 10 points: Eon; Hist; Neo; Orf; Plea
For 5 points: Malls [2]
Others from "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind" include: Fro; Nam; Pale; Peal; Pest; Pets; Sept

3. Name a church in Moon Township, Pennsylvania.
For 10 points: Church of the Nazarene; Coraopolis Presbyterian Church; Mount Olive Baptist Church; Praise Center Full Gospel Church; Riverdale Presbyterian Church; St. Margaret Mary Church; West Hills Christian Church
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Church of Christ (Spring Run Road); Church of Christ (State Avenue); St. Andrew Lutheran Church; St. Phillip’s Church

4. Copper Moonshine Stills are located in Arkansas, please give me the name of any Still they have for sale.
For 10 points: Continual Feed Still; Ethanol Fuel Still; Island Still; Ozark Mountain Still; San Luis Still
For 5 points: Irish Whiskey Still [2]
Not mentioned include: Fruit Brandy Still; Hangin' Judge Still; Highlander Still; Missouri Still

5. A full moon is given a different names, depending on when it appears. Give me one of those names as used by the Dakotah Sioux.
For 10 points: Moon of Making Fat (June); Moon to go Paddling (April); Moon When Wolves Run Together (January)
For 5 points: Moon When Geese Return in Scattered Formation (April) [2]; Moon When Leaves Are Green (May) [2]
Not mentioned include: Moon When The Calves Grow Hair (September); Moon when Quilling and Beading are Done (October); Moon When Buffalo Cow's Fetus is Getting Large (December) -- [I found three slightly different lists for these, in what proved to be a more difficult question than I expected.]

Scores:

50 points: Deepakmr
45 points: Maninmidohio; Tredici
40 points: Denni19
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722; Szabs

Once in a blue moon we have a really exiting round. This wasn't one of them, Deepakmr took the round by the scruff of it's neck, and ran away with it. Well done for earning that point in such fine style.

#458057 - Fri Feb 13 2009 08:41 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 13

I thought we would take a break from my life story, and instead I would make this round all about what is special about this date. This is the first Friday the thirteenth of 2009. For many people this date is an omen of bad luck. So we will dedicate this round to them. This is the Paraskavedekatriaphobia Round.

1. Fear of Friday the thirteenth builds on the more general fear of the number 13 (triskaidekaphobia). Many feel that the fear of the number 13 arises out of the picture of the Last Supper by Da Vinci where thirteen men gathered to share a Passover feast and one of the company announces that one of the others would betray him. Please tell me the name of one of the men portrayed in Da Vinci’s Last Supper.

2. Many go to great lengths to avoid the number 13. It can be seen in buildings where the 13th floor is missing, house numbers skip number 13, and 13th Street does not exist although 12th and 14th does. From the Wikipedia article on Triskaidekaphobia, tell me another specific strategy that has been used in buildings and streets to avoid the number 13.

3. The number 13 is usually avoided in team uniform numbers. However in one sport you will always find a number 13 on the field because uniform numbers are keyed to specific positions. In Rugby Union the person wearing the 13 is always the outside centre. Tell me another position in Rugby Union and the associated number with that position.

4. The 1980 version of the movie Friday the 13th was the beginning of a franchise that unleashed Jason Vorhees onto the world. The original Jason was played by Ari Lehman. Please tell me an actor who has played Jason in any of the movie sequels (if more than one actor played Jason in the same film, only give me the first one that is listed in the IMDB listing).

5. On April 13 (Friday the 13th), 2029 an event will happen that at one time was thought could be the end of the world. That prediction turned out to be wrong, but it is still going to be quite an amazing occurance. Visit this NASA web site and give me a scientific fact about the object that will appear in the sky that day.

I hope you all survive the day unscathed and then enjoy a great weekend. The Paraskavedekatriaphobia Round will close noonish on Wednesday, February 18.

#458058 - Sat Feb 14 2009 11:44 AM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
[*Taps inexplicably on microphone ...*] Attention, please. Round 11 will be closing up in app. 24 hours, folks ....

#458059 - Sat Feb 14 2009 12:43 PM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Now that Gats has managed to gather everyone's attention , may I please add on this notice: Round 9 will be closing in about 23 hours (closes Sunday noon FT time). Thanks!

#458060 - Sat Feb 14 2009 02:29 PM Re: February 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 10 is now closed and the results will be posted tomorrow... from my brand new computer which is now in the making .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002