Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#465003 - Wed Apr 01 2009 02:05 AM April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Denni
Wednesdays -JaneMarple
Thursdays - Deepakmr
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Any changes just let me know

Edited by JaneMarple (Wed Apr 01 2009 09:41 AM)

#465004 - Wed Apr 01 2009 02:06 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 1st April
Q1 A popular household pet
Q2 A song from “My Fair Lady”
Q3 A type of jewellery
Q4 Something you do on Boxing Day
Q5 Something a lady keeps in her cosmetic bag.
It closes over the weekend

#465005 - Thu Apr 02 2009 06:49 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
My internet connection is down from some time and I am not able to get online regularly, so I am unable to post today's round . I am really sorry for missing this round. I am hoping that my Internet will be up and running by next week

#465006 - Thu Apr 02 2009 04:36 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 3 – Friday, In my part of the world it's past midnight, so I might as well post these a wee bit early .

This round is dedicated to the world famous chef Gordon Ramsay, known for his accumulation of Michelin stars in various restaurants worldwide, 16 all together. In recent years he has also become a television celebrity presenting TV programs about competitive cookery and food, such as Hell's Kitchen and The F-Word and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

1. All of Ramsay's business interests which are restaurants, media & consultancy are held in the company Gordon Ramsay Holdings Limited. Run in partnership with his father-in-law Chris Hutcheson. Would you kindly give me the name of one of the restaurants owned by Ramsay in the UK (No pubs please).

2. From the official Gordon Ramsay website, go to “News section”, please give me the headline of one of the “Latest News”.

3. Gordon Ramsay's F Word is a television program which covers a wide range of topics, from recipes to food preparation and celebrity food fads. Each episode is based around Ramsay preparing a three-course meal at the F Word restaurant for 50 guests. Diners in the restaurant include celebrities, who participate in conversations, challenges, and cook-offs with Ramsay. Other segments focus on food-related topics, such as alternative foods and healthy eating. From the channel 4 F site , please tell me one of the “cookalong” dishes from week 1 to week 7.

4. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay which is honoured with three Michelin stars, is located in central London. It is know for combining contemporary elegance, with an intimate ambience and unparalleled service , a truly excellent establishment and a must for the culinary connoisseur. From the “A la Carte” menu, please give me a starter or main course.

5.. Gordon Ramsay has written 20 cookbooks since 1996, could you please give me the title of one of his cookbooks.

This round will close on Wednesday the 8th of April, around noon FT time, if you have any queries, just pm me. In the meantime have a great weekend.

#465007 - Sat Apr 04 2009 01:44 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 4 - Saturday 4th April

1. Three Blind Mice, is a children's nursery rhyme, The "Three" who are refered to in the rhyme, is reputedly bishops Hugh Latimer and Nicholas Ridley, and the Archbishop Thomas Cranmer. who where burned at the stake in 1555/56 at Cornmarket Street, Oxford. Please name any shop on Oxford's Cornmarket Street.

2. Can you name any blind animal species.

3. Name for me please a senior manager of the Perkins School for the Blind.

4. Organised by the Madras Motor Sports Club, last weekend saw a race for the visually impaired, round the local streets. All of the navigators are blind and must read all the instructions in Braille, to the sited driver. Penalty points are given out if you are late or early at checkpoints. Please give me the name of a navigator who finished in the top 10, in the Rally for the Blind 2009 held on the 29th March in Chennai.

5. Take yourself off to the "Phoenix Guide Dog Raisers" web site, and tell me the name of one of the puppies in phase training.

The round will close at noon Thursday (FT time). Please ask if you need a helping hand.

#465008 - Sun Apr 05 2009 10:36 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 1 - Wednesday - will close tomorrow

#465009 - Mon Apr 06 2009 11:35 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 1 Results
Q1 A popular household pet
FOR TEN POINTS:
Ferret, Japanese koi, Sugar glider, Tropical fish, Mynah,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Cat, Dog, Mouse and more

Q2 A song from “My Fair Lady”
FOR TEN POINTS:
On the Street where you live, Why can’t the English?, A Hymn to Him,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ascot Gavotte (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Wouldn’t it be Loverley? I’m getting Married in the Morning and more

Q3 A type of jewellery
FOR TEN POINTS:
Toe ring, Tiara, Brooch,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ear Ring (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Bangle, Necklace and more

Q4 Something you do on Boxing Day
FOR TEN POINTS:
Eat left overs, watch TV, Going to the zoo, Go to museum, Watch cricket match played in Austrailia,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Have a lie in, visit family and more

Q5 Something a lady keeps in her cosmetic bag.
FOR TEN POINTS:
Lipstick, Mascara, Green liner pencil, Eyebrow pencil, Powder puff,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Money, compact mirror and more

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Deepakmr - 45
Mugaboo - 45
Maninmidohio – 45
Szabs – 45

Well done to Brandz_mygirl

#465010 - Mon Apr 06 2009 02:21 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday Apr 6 – Quiz

Today’s Quiz is brought to you by the letter ‘H’. The alphabet rounds are back.

1) Honey – The website of the National Honey Board is a great place to find honey facts and honey recipes. From the Snacks category of the honey recipes, please give me the name of any snack that DOES NOT have the word ‘honey’-or- some version of it in its name.

2) Hawaii became the 50th state of the U.S. on 21 August 1959. It is made up of hundred of islands and is home to one of the world’s most active volcanoes, Kileaua Volcano. The island of Oahu is home to 80% of Hawaii’s population and the state capital Honolulu. Please proceed to Hawaii’s Official Tourism Site, locate the Oahu Quick Guides and tell me one of the activities you can enjoy. There are 17 to choose from.

3) The Hammer – one of the most useful household D-I-Y tools, right next to the screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable spanners and measuring tape. From here, please give me one of the ten most popular hammer types.

4) The Hermitage Museum or given its proper name, the State Hermitage Museum is one of the world’s largest museums and is located in St. Petersburg. The Museum was founded in 1764 by Catherine the Great and currently has about 3 million (wow) items on exhibit. The museum complex comprises ten buildings of which seven are historical monuments. From its website, please give me the name of an Exhibition event that will occur any time from May to August this year.

5) Hugh Laurie – I certainly couldn’t end this round without mentioning one of my favourite ‘H’ actors. Hugh Laurie’s father was a doctor, a general practitioner, who excelled in a certain sport, winning a gold medal at one of the Olympic Games. From that same Olympic Games, the sport that Dr. Laurie excelled in had 7 events. Please name another British athlete who won any medal in any of those 7 events.

This round will close on Sunday April 12 at noon FT time. Gentle Monday everyone!

#465011 - Tue Apr 07 2009 09:24 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 7 - Tuesday

I couldn't think of anything specific to build my questions around, so you'll have to put up with "Anything" for now.

1. "ANYTHING Goes" is a musical written (music and lyrics) by Cole Porter. It had its debut on Broadway on November 21, 1934 at the Alvin Theatre, New York (currently Neil Simon Theatre) and it ran for 420 performances.
-- From the Internet Broadway Database page for Alvin/Neil Simon Theatre, please pick any musical that premiered before "Anything Goes" (a.k.a. before 1934).

2. "ANYTHING" and "Whatever" are two brands of soft drinks made and distributed in Singapore by the company Out Of The Box Pte Ltd. The Manager Director of the company said that "Whenever we were out at a gathering...people kept telling us they just wanted 'anything' or 'whatever' when we asked them what they wanted to drink. I found the concept really interesting and decided it would be a great idea for a unique Singapore beverage".
-- Please give me any flavour that "Anything" or "Whatever" soft drinks are produced in.

3. "ANYTHING But Love" was a TV series running between 1989-1992, where two co-workers who are attracted to each other don't want to spoil their friendship by starting a romantic relationship. [I wonder... is there anybody on this planet that hasn't been through this situation? ].
-- Please pick any episode from Season 4 of "Anything But Love".

4. People at Say ANYTHING Invitations elevated the making of wedding, baby announcements or shower invitations into an art form. Their invitations are designed by a professional design team and each invitation is hand-made using the finest papers and highest-quality materials. Their diverse line of invitations tend to have something for everyone.
-- From Say Anything Invitations website, please have your personal choice of Shower Invitations (collection).

5. Entertainment Weekly has on its website ('Movies' section) a photo gallery of performers whose name in the credits forces us to give even the most dubious TV or movie project the benefit of the doubt.
-- Please look for "50 Actors We'd Watch in ANYTHING (Part 1)" and give me one of the first 10 actors/actresses featured in that article [photos 1 to 10 from the 25 listed].

This Round will be closed on Monday noon - Fun Trivia time.
I'll be around if any clarification or link is needed.

Edited by denni19 (Tue Apr 07 2009 09:26 AM)

#465012 - Wed Apr 08 2009 02:07 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 8th April Round
Q1 A film beginning with F
Q2 A song title beginning with F
Q3 A book title beginning with F
Q4 An eight letter word beginning with F
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with F
This will close over the weekend

#465013 - Wed Apr 08 2009 04:37 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a quick reminder that Round 3 will be closing in about 6 hours. Plenty of time to send in your entries, and newcomers are more than welcome .

#465014 - Thu Apr 09 2009 01:08 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 9 – Thursday

My all-time favourite author is the inimitable P G Wodehouse. Wodehouse is known as one of the great authors of the humour genre of books. In fact, Stephen Fry said about Wodehouse that “he has come closer than any writer of English to approaching Shakespeare's complete mastery and transcendency of language.” Reading a Wodehouse book is a sheer pleasure and making this round about ‘Plum’ is a greater pleasure.

Q1: Pelham Grenville Wodehouse (known affectionately as ‘Plum’) worked in a bank at the start of his working life. He began his writing career with a series of school books, before his first success came in the form of the 1915 novel “Something Fresh”. This was of the first of his many famous books. Wikipedia would help you to get a list of all books written by Wodehouse; from that list please tell me the name of any book published between 1915-1922 (as per UK publications dates).

Q2: Butlers and valets played a major role in most of Wodehouse’s novels. The most famous of them was Jeeves. This perfect gentleman’s gentleman spent much of his time extricating his master Bertie Wooster from many an imbroglio. From this link, please choose the name of any of the Jeeves novels, that has a different US title.

Q3 : The ‘Blandings Castle’ series is another of Plum’s popular books. The stories feature the amiable Lord Emsworth, his dominant sisters and his dapper brother Galahad. No Blandings Castle story is complete unless it has impostors and of course Emsworth’s prize pig ‘Empress of Blandings’. One of my favourite books in the series is “Uncle Fred in the Springtime”. Please tell me the name of any of the human characters who appear in the novel Uncle Fred in the Springtime (You can use Wiki to find the answer).

Q4 : Apart from his novels and short stories, Wodehouse was also involved in making musicals. He has written many plays and was also involved with Hollywood. The 1937 hit movie “A Damsel in Distress” was written by Wodehouse. From the IMDB page for the movie A Damsel in Distress, please choose the name of any of the lead characters in the movie (please ignore the uncredited characters).

Q5 : Wodehouse has been described as ‘English literature’s performing flea’. In his career spanning 70 years, he wrote more than 100 books. He died on Valentine’s day in 1975. Our own funtrivia site has many quizzes on Wodehouse. Funtrivia’s main site has a quiz titled ‘Blandings Castle’, please tell me any of the correct answers from that quiz.

That’s the end of the P G Wodehouse round. The round will close on 13th April, Monday. Looking forward to your answers .

#465015 - Thu Apr 09 2009 04:10 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 3 is Closed answers will be up in a few minutes.

#465016 - Thu Apr 09 2009 04:57 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 3 - Answers

There where four great players who participated in this round dedicated to Gordon Ramsay.

1. Would you kindly give me the name of one of the restaurants owned by Ramsay in the UK (No pubs please).

For 10 Points : York & Albany, Foxtrot Oscar
For 5 Points : Gordon Ramsay at Claridge’s (2)
Among Others: Petrus, Maze, Murano, Plane Food

2. From the official Gordon Ramsay website, go to “News section”, please give me the headline of one of the “Latest News”.

10 Points to all : York & Albany reviewed by Time Out, Maze Melbourne announced, Murano awarded one Michelin star, Angela Hartnett awarded 3 AA rosettes
Among Others: Gordon appears on The Hour , Maze Cape Town to open ahead of schedule, Gordon triumphs in Paris with two Michelin stars

3. Gordon Ramsay's F Word is a television program which covers a wide range of topics, from recipes to food preparation and celebrity food fads. Each episode is based around Ramsay preparing a three-course meal at the F Word restaurant for 50 guests. From the channel 4 F site , please tell me one of the “cookalong” dishes from week 1 to week 7.

For 10 Points : Tiramisu, Gordon’s Hot Bananas
For 5 Points : Prawn Cocktail (2)
Among Others: Angel hair pasta with crab, Chicken Tikka Masala, Minted Pea Soup, Rhubarb Crumble

4. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay which is honoured with three Michelin stars, is located in central London. It is know for combining contemporary elegance, with an intimate ambience and unparalleled service , a truly excellent establishment and a must for the culinary connoisseur. From the “A la Carte” menu, please give me a starter or main course.

10 Points to all : Butter poached Scottish lobster tail with chestnut lasagne, Pan-fried line caught sea bass with steamed charlotte potatoes, cucumber, oyster beignet and caviar velouté, Steamed sea bream with mussels, shrimps and vegetable broth, Slow braised pied de cochon pressed then pan-fried with ham knuckle, poached quail’s egg and hollandaise sauce
Among Others: Quail and foie gras pithivier with wild mushrooms, confit leg and celeriac remoulade, Roasted saddle of Highland venison with roasted pumpkin, quince, braised red cabbage and Muscat grapes

5. Gordon Ramsay has written 20 cookbooks since 1996, could you please give me the title of one of his cookbooks.

10 Points to all : 'Sunday Lunch and other recipes from the F word', Gordon Ramsey’s Healthy Appetite, Recipes from a 3 Star Chef, Gordon Ramsay's Passion for flavour
Among Others: Gordon Ramsay’s Secrets, Gordon Ramsay Easy All Year Round, Cooking for Friends: Food from My Table

Scores
From the word go, this has been a tight race between the four players, each one had one question that only awarded them 5 points, hence this time we have a four way tie for first place.

We have four winners with 45 points : Brandz_mygirl, Deepakmr, Maninmidohio & Mugaboo

A hearty congratulations goes out to all four winners in this round Brandz_mygirl, Deepak, Maninmidohio & Mugaboo , each one will receive a trivia point for the month of April. A HUGE thank you to all for playing this round, enjoy the rest of the week, and to those that celebrate Easter, I hope the Easter bunny brings you many chocolate eggs .

#465017 - Thu Apr 09 2009 03:27 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 4 - 5 played

1. Please name any shop on Oxford's Cornmarket Street.
For 10 points: David Clulow; HMV; WH Smith; Zavvi (although I think they have closed)
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Austin Reed; Boots; Boswells of Oxford; Burger King; Cornish Pastie Shop; Gap; Fat Face; KFC
Not accepted: Jaeger Man (13-15 Magdalen Street)

2. Can you name any blind animal species.
For 10 points: Cave Cricket; Cave-dewlling Millipede; Worm Snake;
For 5 points: Eyeless Shrimp [2]
Not mentioned include: Cave Salamander; Mexican Tetra; Star-nosed mole

3. Name for me please a senior manager of the Perkins School for the Blind.
For 10 points: Betsy McGinnity; Dorinda Rife; Kim Charlson
For 5 points: Mary Beth Caruso [2]
Not mentioned include: Adria Hodas; Ellie Starr; Sergei Sorokin

4. Please give me the name of a navigator who finished in the top 10, in the Rally for the Blind 2009 held on the 29th March in Chennai.
For 10 points: Sujatha N. V; M. Kannan; Thirunavu Karasur; Sai Krishna
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Manjula; Huzra Begum; Vanaja S; Bharath M; M. Muthuseli; Rajum
Not accepted: Vasuki K (came 17th)

5. Take yourself off to the "Phoenix Guide Dog Raisers" web site, and tell me the name of one of the puppies in phase training.
For 10 points: Gibson; Nevada; Spinnaker
For 5 points: Sanka [2]
Not mentioned include: Danvers; Daughtry; Dilly; Navarro; Sonia

Scores:
50 points: Szabs
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Deepakmr; Denni19
15 points: Maninmidohio

Perfect score for Szabs leaves her with the winners point. Well done.

#465018 - Fri Apr 10 2009 07:42 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 10

We have now had a round devoted to Hobart College (my alma mater) and a separate round on the name Hobart. As I mentioned before, Hobart College does not exist as a separate entity. Hobart College formed a union with William Smith College and they now operate as coordinate schools under the name Hobart and William Smith Colleges. William Smith College was founded in 1906 as a college for women (Hobart is for men) by William Smith, an area nurseryman, as a nondenominational, liberal arts institution dedicated to educating women broadly, not just vocationally. In that William Smith’s honor this will be the William Smith Round.

1. William Smith (1603–1645) was an English composer from the city of Durham. He is chiefly known for his set of choral responses for the Anglican liturgy of Evening Prayer. From the Book of Common Prayer (1662) comes the Preces and Responses that have been put to music by several composers, including William Smith. The Preces is composed of 12 statements by the priest/minister and 12 responses by the congregation. The sixth statement is the call to prayer which is followed by the congregation reciting the “Our Father” or Lord’s Prayer. Please give me one of the other responses that comes either before or after the Lord’s Prayer.

2. William Smith and William H. Smith were both awarded the Medal of Honor for gallantry in an action in the Chiracahua Mountains of Arizona on October 20, 1869, during the Indian Wars. Please tell me the full name of another Medal of Honors winner during the Indian Wars with the last name of Smith.

3. William Forgen Smith was the Labor Premier of Queensland from 1932-1942. Please tell me another member of the Labor Party that was the Premier of Queensland (do not count the present Premier).

4. Billy Ray Smith, Sr played in the NFL (National Football League) during a 13 year career for the Los Angeles Rams, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Baltimore Colts. His son, Billy Ray Smith, followed him into the NFL playing his entire 10 year career for the San Diego Chargers. Both of them played their college ball for the Arkansas Razorbacks. The Arkansas Razorbacks have gone to many end of season bowl games. Please tell me the year and opponent at one of the Cotton Bowl appearances of the Razorbacks.

5. William Jay Smith is a noted American poet who was appointed the nineteenth Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress from 1968 to 1970. Please tell me an individual that held the post of Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress after William Jay Smith and before the title of the post was changed to Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress.

This William Smith Round will close noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, April 15. If you need help with any of the questions, just send me a message and I will be glad to help. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

#465019 - Sat Apr 11 2009 11:43 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Just a reminder that Round 6 will be closing in about 11 hours (close time is Sunday noon FT time).

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.

#465020 - Sun Apr 12 2009 01:37 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 8th April's round will close tomorrow!

#465021 - Sun Apr 12 2009 08:01 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 9 (P G Wodehouse) will be closing in around 12 hours from now. Veterans and newcomers are invited to send in their answers

#465022 - Mon Apr 13 2009 12:29 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Apr 6 Round – Answers

Today’s Quiz is brought to you by the letter ‘H’. To the wonderful core group of Five who played the round - THANK YOU!

1) From the Snacks category of the honey recipes, please give me the name of any snack that DOES NOT have the word ‘honey’-or- some version of it in its name.
For Ten Points: Snack Time Burritos
For Five Points: Chewy Monkey Bars (2), Chocolate Date Bars (2)
Not mentioned: Banana Pops, Costa Rican Plantain Buñuelos, Fire House Energy Bars, Granola, Jogger Bars, Mixed Berry Roller-Ups, Pack-Along Snack Bars, Peanut Butter Toasties, Peanut Butter Banana Roll-Ups, Roxanne’s Princess Bars.

2) The island of Oahu is home to 80% of Hawaii’s population and the state capital Honolulu. Please proceed to Hawaii’s Official Tourism Site, locate the Oahu Quick Guides and tell me one of the activities you can enjoy. There are 17 to choose from.
For Ten Points: Take a guided tour of Iolani Palace, Watch acrobatic dolphins and clever penguins (yes, penguins) at Sea Life Park, Take a horseback ride at Kualoa Ranch, Spend a day exploring Pearl Harbor, Relax in an art gallery then eat some fresh dim sum in Chinatown.
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: There are another 12 to choose from. Not going to list them but you can check them out here.

3) From here, please give me one of the ten most popular hammer types.
For Ten Points: Hand Drilling Hammer
For Five Points: Soft-face Hammer (2), Tack Hammer (2)
Not mentioned: Please refer to the link-ed page.

4) From its (The State Hermitage Museum) website, please give me the name of an Exhibition event that will occur any time from May to August this year.
For Ten Points: Please see ‘bold-ed’ exhibitions in list below.
For Five Points: Please see ‘bold-ed’ exhibitions in list below that have a number in brackets after.
Not mentioned: Please see ‘un-bold-ed’ exhibitions below.
May
Renoir. Compositions with the Staircase. Restored Masterpieces
Afro Basaldella
The Perfect Victory. To the 300th Anniversary of the Battle of Poltava
June
The Corans of Dagestan
Masterpieces of Egyptian portrait. From the Egyptian Museum in Berlin
The Blue and the Gold of Limoges. The Enamels (2)
July
Fecit ad vivum. Portraits of Artists in the West European Engravings
August
The Treasures of the Great Moguls. From the National Museum of Kuwait (2)

5) Hugh Laurie’s father was a doctor, a general practitioner, who excelled in a certain sport, winning a gold medal at one of the Olympic Games. From that same Olympic Games, the sport that Dr. Laurie excelled in had 7 events. Please name another British athlete who won any medal in any of those 7 events.
For Ten Points: Alfred Mellows, Bert Bushnell, Michael Lapage
For Five Points: John Meyrick (2)
Not mentioned: Charles Lloyd, Christopher Barton, Dickie Burnell, Ernest Bircher, Guy Richardson, Jack Dearlove, Jack Wilson, Paul Massey.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
40 points: Mugaboo & Szabs Well done to our co-winners!

Other Results:
35 points: Maninmidohio & Denni
30 points: Deepakmr

Hope you will all have a wonderful week ahead. See you in a bit.

#465023 - Mon Apr 13 2009 12:32 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 7 is now closed.

I have received answers from Brandz_mygirl, Szabs, Deepakmr, Maninmidohio and Mugaboo.
Thank you all, hope I haven't missed anybody and apologies for not sending private replies .

The results will be posted tomorrow noon/afternoon.

#465024 - Mon Apr 13 2009 02:02 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 8th April Round results

Q1 A film beginning with F
FOR TEN POINTS:
Felon (2008), Firecreek (1968), Flying Tigers, Five Easy Pieces, Feardotcom,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Fantasia and more,

Q2 A song title beginning with F
FOR TEN POINTS:
Feel Your Love Tonight (by Van Halen), Follow the Leader (Matthew Ryan), Face The Promise (Bob Seger), Forever Young (Bob Dylan, et al), .“Fallin” - Alicia Keys,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
For the good times (Perry Como) and more,

Q3 A book title beginning with F
FOR TEN POINTS:
Frankenstein Unbound (by Brian Adliss), Fall From Grace (Larry Collins), Four of a Kind (Gilbert Morris),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Far from the Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy) (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Five Little Pigs (Agatha Christie) and more

Q4 An eight letter word beginning with F
FOR TEN POINTS:
Flimsily, Fastener, Flattish, Fearsome, Flushing,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Forewarn and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with F
FOR TEN POINTS:
Fettuccine Pasta, Flounder, Fruits,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Frankfurter (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Fish and more

SCORES - COMPETITORS (5)
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs – 50
Deepakmr – 45
Maninmidohio - 45
Brandz_mygirl – 40

Well done to
Mugaboo and Szabs

#465025 - Mon Apr 13 2009 09:38 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 9 – Thursday
P G Wodehouse

Five fantastic players participated in this round.

Q1: Wikipedia would help you to get a list of all books written by Wodehouse; from that list please tell me the name of any book published between 1915-1922.

For 10 points: Uneasy Money, Piccadilly Jim, The Clicking of Cuthbert, The Man with Two Left Feet, Something Fresh

For 5 points: none, all get 10 points

Not mentioned : My Man Jeeves, A Damsel in Distress, The Coming of Bill, Jill the Reckless, Indiscretions of Archie, The Girl on the Boat and The Adventures of Sally.

Q2: From this link, please choose the name of any of the Jeeves novels, that has a different US title.

For 10 points: Much Obliged Jeeves, Aunts aren’t Gentlemen, Ring for Jeeves

For 5 points: Jeeves in the Offing (2)

Not mentioned : The Inimitable Jeeves, Right Ho Jeeves, Joy in the Morning and Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit.

Q3: Please tell me the name of any of the human characters who appear in the novel Uncle Fred in the Springtime.

For 10 points: Valerie Twistleton, Ricky Gilpin, Lady Constance Keeble, Alaric - Duke of Dunstable, Rupert Baxter

For 5 points: none, all win 10 points

Not mentioned : The Earl of Emsworth, George Threepwood, Horace Pendlebury Davenport, Polly Pott, Mustard Pott, Pongo Twistleton, Lord Ickenham, Sir Roderick Glossop and Beach.

Q4: From the IMDB page for the movie A Damsel in Distress, please choose the name of any of the lead characters in the movie.

For 10 points: George Burns,

For 5 points: Gracie Allens (2), Constance Collier (2)

Not mentioned : Fred Astaire, Joan Fontaine, Reginald Gardner, Ray Noble, Montagu Love, Harry Watson and Jan Duggan.

Q5: Funtrivia’s main site has a quiz titled ‘Blandings Castle’, please tell me any of the correct answers from that quiz.

For 10 points: PIG-HOO-O-O-EY, Mr. Baxter

For 5 points: Beach (3)

Not mentioned : Angus McAllister, Bosham, Agnes, 57800, True, Empress of Blandings and Sunset at Blandings.

The final results:

45 points: denni19
40 points: maninmindohio, Mugaboo, szabs and brandz_mygirl

It is denni19 who by a slim margin overtakes the others to win this round. Congrats to denni for winning a trivia point for April. Thanks to all the participants. Have a great week ahead .

#465026 - Tue Apr 14 2009 02:07 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
A little late with the notice, but Round 10 - The William Smith Round will conclude in about 20 hours, noonish FT time, Wednesday. Plenty of time to get your submissions in.

#465027 - Wed Apr 15 2009 04:16 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 13 is late. I was thinking of not posting Monday's round this week since it's already Wed - BUT - if you all don't mind, I think I will still get it out a bit later today. Just lots of little things and one unexpected bigger thing happening Monday and Tuesday, nothing horrible, just time consuming and somewhat tedious. Thankfully, I did get a very rough outline of the round done over the weekend. Be back in a bit (fingers crossed)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002