#465028 - Wed Apr 15 2009 05:25 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 15th April Round

Q1 A day of the week
Q2 One of the twelve apostles
Q3 A sport you play at school
Q4 A Property on the standard British Monopoly Board. (Not a utility or a station. I do not mean any property on the regional versions of Monopoly, or any other versions)
Q5 A type of clothing
It closes over the weekend

#465029 - Wed Apr 15 2009 01:04 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday Apr 13 – Quiz

It’s I-s Turn.

1) Ice-cream – In 1978, Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield opened their very first ice-cream parlor in Burlington, Vermont, and history was thus made. Today, their brand of ice-cream is available world-wide. The company created a Foundation in 1985 to fund community related projects. Please give me the name of a recipient from the Foundation who received a grant of less than $15,000 in the 4th quarter of 2008.

2) Icons – Most computer users are familiar with icons, those little picture thingys we sometimes see on our screens that represents something else. Icons can also be “an outstanding example of something which has come to represent the class of things to which it belongs” according to the Webster dictionary. Variety produced a list of the top 10 entertainment icons of the 20th century. Please name any one of the ten.

3) Iceland – Some years ago, actually a lot of years ago, a friend and I visited Iceland to experience the midnight sun on the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere. It was just an overnight trip. We flew from London’s Gatwick Airport, saw various sites from our comfortably heated tour bus, dipped in a hot pool, ate a huge buffet meal and flew back to the U.K mid-morning. Despite being summer, I remembered it being cold. The only time I didn’t feel the cold was after the hot pool. The buffet meal was provided in an open area close to the hot pool and there were even people wandering around the buffet tables wearing only their swim suits! Of course, the steam from the pool helped to keep the area somewhat warm-ish or in my case, a little less cold. And of yes, the midnight sun, the main purpose of our quick trip. I don’t remember it very much except for one period during the night where we saw the sun low on the horizon and the sky was dusky for a while, the rest of the trip seemed to be in daylight, although it was officially night time.

Iceland, surrounded by the North Atlantic Ocean, is well-known for its fresh seafood. This page provides some recipes for Icelandic seafood dishes. Please give me the English name of any of the recipes from the page, 13 to choose from.

4) IRS – the annual tax filing season is here. Please tell me an online service that the IRS provides for individual taxpayers.

5) Inchworm – a moth larva which has a characteristic looping gait (the back legs move forwards while the front legs hold still, thus creating the loop which looks like the symbol for the greek alphabet Omega, then the front legs move and it’s the back legs turn to hold still) because it lacks legs in the middle portion of its body. And as expected, they are about an inch long. Inchworm is also a song from the film “Hans Christian Andersen”. One of my favourite childhood songs. Please give me any line from the song “Inchworm”.

As this round is very late, I will close it on Monday 20 April at noon FT time. Hope you will all have a wonderful week.

#465030 - Wed Apr 15 2009 01:43 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 10 – Results

We had four great players for the William Smith Round. Thanks to all for participating.

1. Please give me one of the other responses that comes either before or after the Lord’s Prayer in the Preces.

For 10 Points:

And mercifully hear us when we call upon thee.
And bless thine inheritance.
For 5 Points:
And make thy chosen people joyful. (2)
Not Chosen:
And our mouth shall show forth thy praise.
O Lord, make haste to help us.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
The Lord's Name be praised.
And with thy spirit.
And grant us thy salvation.
Because there is none other that fighteth for us, but only thou, O God.
And take not thy Holy Spirit from us.

2. Please tell me the full name of another (excluding William and William H. Smith) Medal of Honors winner during the Indian Wars with the last name of Smith.

For 10 Points:
Andrew J. Smith and Otto Smith
For 5 Points: Robert Smith (2)
Not Chosen: Charles E. Smith, Cornelius C. Smith, George W. Smith, Theodore F. Smith, Thomas Smith, and Thomas J. Smith

3. Please tell me another member besides William Folgen Smith of the Labor Party that was the Premier of Queensland (do not count the present Premier).

For 10 Points: Ted Theodore and William McCormack
For 5 Points: Anderson Dawson (2)
Not Chosen: Thomas Joseph Ryan, William Gillies, Frank Cooper, Ned Hanlon, Vince Gair, Wayne Goss, and Peter Beattie

4. Please tell me the year and opponent at one of the Cotton Bowl appearances of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

For 10 Points:
2000 Texas
For 5 Points: 1961 Duke (3)
Not Chosen: 2008 Missouri, 2002 Oklahoma, 1990 Tennessee, 1989 UCLA, 1976 Georgia, 1966 LSU, 1965 Nebraska, 1955 Georgia Tech, and 1947 LSU

5. Please tell me an individual that held the post of Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress after William Jay Smith and before the title of the post was changed to Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress.

For 10 Points:
Josephine Jacobsen and Maxine Kumin
For 5 Points: William Meredith (2)
Not Chosen: William Stafford, Daniel Hoffman, Stanley Kunitz, Robert Hayden Anthony Hecht, Reed Whittemore (interim), Robert Fitzgerald , and Gwendolyn Brooks

The Results:

With 50 points and a perfect score: deepakmr
With 40 points: brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: Mugaboo
With 25 points: szabs

With two of out players submitting almost identical entries, that allowed deepakmr to come in late with his entry and sweep the field. Well done deepakmr, you get one more April Trivia point. Thanks again to all the players for their participation.

#465031 - Thu Apr 16 2009 02:58 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Round 16 – Thursday

This week, let me take you to my city Bangalore.

Q1: Bangalore is located in the Southern part of India and is the capital of the state of Karnataka. The city was founded in 1537 by a chieftain named Kempe Gowda. In the local language Kannada, the name of the city is pronounced as Bengalooru, which is derived from a word which means ‘City of boiled beans’. The Wikipedia page on the History of Bangalore has a timeline of Bangalore. From that timeline, please tell me any event that took place after 1600.

Q2: Bangalore is known as the Garden City of India. It has an abundance of greenery and has two prominent parks Lalbagh and Cubbon Park. The Cubbon Park is a greenspace occupying 300 acres of land in the heart of Bangalore and within the area of the park is located the Vidhana Soudha, the legislature of the state. Please tell me the name of any of the exotic species of plants found in Cubbon park. (Please use Wiki to find the answer).

Q3 : The Bannerghatta Biological Park is a National park, that is located 22kms away from Bangalore. This 25,000 acre zoological park is one of the popular tourist attractions. Apart from a zoo, it also features an herbivore safari and a lion and tiger safari apart from a Butterfly park. Please visit the official website of the Bannerghatta Bio park, from the About BBP link, you can view an inventory of animals in the park. From that inventory, please select the name of any of the species featured in the Herbivore Park.

Q4 : Bangalore of late is also known as the ‘Pub City of India’. There are plenty of tourist attractions for visitors to Bangalore. These include the ISKCON Temple, the Ulsoor Lake, Brigade Road, Bull Temple and the Bangalore Palace. The Bangalore Palace was built in 1944 and was intended to be a replica of the Windsor Palace. The palace has a huge grounds which is rented out for concerts. From the Wiki page on Bangalore Palace, please tell me the name of any artiste who performed in the Palace grounds before 2007.

Q5 : Bangalore is also known as the Information Technology (IT) capital of India. Interestingly, the word Bangalore has entered into the dictionary. The word ‘Bangalored’ means ‘outsourced’ and it even became a campaign issue for John Kerry’s presidential campaign in 2004. There are a number of top IT companies based in Bangalore. Wiki has a list of List of IT companies in Bangalore, please choose the name of any of the UK or French companies listed.

That was a brief overview of Bangalore. The Bangalore round will close on 21 April Monday. Have a great week ahead

#465032 - Thu Apr 16 2009 08:53 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
RESULTS for ROUND 7 – Tuesday, April 7th

1. From the Internet Broadway Database page for Alvin/Neil Simon Theatre, please pick any musical that premiered before "Anything Goes" (a.k.a. before 1934).

10 points: Treasure Girl

5 points: Heads Up (2), Wings Over Europe (2)

Not mentioned: Funny Face, Spring Is Here, Music in the Air, Mourning Becomes Electra, Adam Had Two Sons and a few more.

2. Please give me any flavour that "Anything" or "Whatever" [brands of soft drinks made and distributed in Singapore by the company Out Of The Box Pte Ltd] are produced in.

10 points ALL: Ice Lemon tea, Apple Tea, Jasmine Green Tea, Fizz Up, Cloudy Lemon

Not mentioned: Cola, Cola with Lemon, Apple, Root Beer, Peach Tea, White Grape Tea, Chrysanthemum Tea.

3. Please pick any episode from Season 4 of "Anything But Love", the 1989-1992 TV series.

10 points ALL: First Lady Sings the Blues, I’d Kill for a Mink, The Call of the Mild, Salmonella is Coming to Town, Training Film

Not mentioned: The other 12 episodes.

4. From Say Anything Invitations website, please have your personal choice of Shower Invitations (collection).

10 points: Satin Ribbon Collection, Vertical Stripes Collection, Flocked Berry Collection

5 points: Paisley Collection (2)

Not mentioned: Faux Flowers Collection, Sheer Twist Collection, Long Dot Collection, Vellum Umbrella Collection, Checkered Collection, Square Dot Collection.

5. Please look on Entertainment Weekly website (the 'Movies' section) for "50 Actors We'd Watch in ANYTHING (Part 1)" and give me one of the first 10 actors/actresses featured in that article [photos 1 to 10 from the 25 listed].

10 points: Johnny Depp

5 points: Jude Law (2), Edie Falco (2)

Not mentioned: Kate Winslet, Alec Baldwin, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Morgan Freeman, Meryl Streep, Daniel Day-Lewis, Simon Pegg.

The results for ROUND 7 are:

With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl and Szabs – Well done!

With 40 points: Deepakmr

With 35 points: Maninmidohio and Mugaboo

A big “Thank you!” to the 5 players who sent in their answers, and “Congratulations!” plus an April point each for Brandz_mygirl and Szabs. It seems they were a bit more ‘picky’ this round .

#465033 - Fri Apr 17 2009 07:15 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 17 Friday

This round is courtesy of a pretty serious fall I had three nights ago, luckily nothing was broken, only badly bruised, and a huge bump on my head, so as I sit here in front of the computer in still quite a bit of pain, I thought it would be befitting to call this the “Fall” round .

1. Vesna Vulovic holds the world record, according to the Guinness Book of Records, for surviving the highest fall without a parachute: 10,160 meters (33,333 feet). On January 26, 1972, while she was a flight attendant on a JAT DC-9, en route from Copenhagen to Zagreb and Belgrade the plane exploded at 33,300 feet over Srbska-Kamenice in what is today the Czech Republic. The explosion should have killed all 29 passengers and crew. Miraculously, however, there was a survivor Vesna Vulovic. Vulovic was interviewed by Philip Baum in 2001, from this page could you please give me one of the first 10 questions she was asked in the interview.

2. The Fall is an English post punk band formed in early 1977, the band has existed in some form ever since, and is essentially built around its founder and only constant member Mark E. Smith. Smith's vocals are often cryptic lyrics, described as "abstract poetry filled with complicated wordplay, bone-dry wit, cutting social observations, and general misanthropy (sometimes more implied than clearly stated, but apparent nonetheless)." Throughout their years they have released about 50 albums. From this site site , please give me the name of an album released between 1978 and 1984.

3. The Fall is a movie by well known and award wining film director Tarsem, released in 2008. The Fall tells a story within a story. In a hospital, an injured stuntman begins to tell a fellow patient, a little girl with a broken arm, a fantastical story about 5 mythical heroes. Thanks to his fractured state of mind and her vivid imagination, the line between fiction and reality starts to blur as the tale advances. The fantasy sequences were shot bit by bit over the course of four years in over a dozen countries, the different settings are quite amazing and stunning such as a stone maze within a castle; a tiny island visited by a swimming elephant; the cityscape painted blue, among other scenes. From the official site of the movie, please give me a character that has a proper name.

4. Fall Creek Vineyards was established in 1975 by Texas businessman/rancher, Ed Auler and his wife, Susan. The vineyards are located eighty miles northwest of Austin in the Texas Hill Country where the sandy loam soil, warm days and cool breezes off Lake Buchanan provide an excellent microclimate for growing premium wine grapes. From their official site, please go to the “Wines” section and give me the name of one of their wines.

5. Fall for the Book Festival is Northern Virginia's oldest and largest celebration of literature and the arts, the events take place at George Mason University in Fairfax Virginia. The Fall for the Book Festival will round out its first decade from Sept. 21-26, hosting nationally and internationally known literary figures. Please give me the name of a participant in the 2009 September Fall for the Book Festival.

This round will close on Wednesday 22nd of April, noonish ft time. If you have any problems just pm me. In the meantime have a great weekend wherever you are .

#465034 - Sat Apr 18 2009 01:50 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 18 - Saturday 18th April

This weekend, I'll take you down to the depth of the sea.

1. First off, we'd better make sure we can survive our adventure, so let's take ourselves to Rockhampton in Queensland. Can you tell me a name of a diving course available from Capricorn Reef Diving, that is located near enough on the Tropics of Capricorn.

2. We'll start our dive at Bermuda, where "Sea Venture" sank, you need to dive down 30 meters to get to to it. This was the first ship that England built that was designed for emigrants, and set sail on it's maiden voyage in 1609, bound for Jamestown in Virginia. The survivors became the first European settlers on Bermuda, hence the picture of the Sea Venture on the Bermuda coat of arms. The tale was also said to be the inspiration for Shakespeare's The Tempest. Please give me any character from Shakespeare's play "The Tempest."

3. Our next dive, will take you to an island with only one 100 yard paved road - Rum Cay in the Bahamas. The ship we've come to view is HMS Conqueror. This ship sunk while on the way to support the French intervention in Mexico after just six years in service. Fortunately all 1400 people aboard survived, like the last one this is 30 feet down. Please name one of the commanders (French or Mexican) during the French intervention in Mexico. (1861-67)

4. For our next dive, I'm taking you to the British Virgin Islands, where we HMS Astrea sank in 1808, off the island of Anegada. Plenty of other vessels to see here. Please name any Spanish ship that was wrecked off Anegada between 1500 and 1899.

4. Earlier in it's HMS Astrea's career, it had capture of five ships at Alexandria harbor (1801), so that's where we're going next, to visit Cleopatra's palace, where there are plans to make this into an underwater museum. Name any actress who has played the part of Cleopatra in a movie.

Should you have any problem with the flights going to your destinations, PM me, and I'll link you up to the appropriate in-flight dossier. This tour will close for bookings at noon (FT time) on Thursday.

#465035 - Sun Apr 19 2009 11:51 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 16 (Bangalore) will be closing in around 23 hours from now. Lots of time left for Trivia round veterans and newcomers to send in your answers.

#465036 - Mon Apr 20 2009 01:28 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 15 - Wednesdays round - closes in about 12 hours

#465037 - Mon Apr 20 2009 10:52 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 16 – Thursday
Bangalore

Six super players participated in this round.

Q1: The Wikipedia page on the History of Bangalore has a timeline of Bangalore, from that timeline, please tell me any event that took place after 1600.

For 10 points: India gains Independence, Bengalooru consolidated into British East India Empire, Tipu Sultan ascends throne, Karnataka High Court is constructed

For 5 points: Haidar Ali designs plans for Lal Bagh (2)

Not mentioned : Bengalooru is captured by Marathas, Bengalooru is part of the Mughal Empire, Haidar Ali stages a coup, Bubbonic plague cripples Bengalooru, First city in India to have electricity and Mysore state is renamed Karnataka - 1973.

Q2: Please tell me the name of any of the exotic species of plants found in Cubbon park.

For 10 points: Araucaria, Grevillea robusta, Schinus molle, Java Pink Cassia

For 5 points: Swietenia mahagoni (2)

Not mentioned : Bamboo, Castanospermum australe, Millettia, Peltophorum and Tabebuia. Sp.

Q3: Please visit the official website of the Bannerghatta Bio park, from the About BBP link, you can view an inventory of animals in the park. From that inventory, please select the name of any of the species featured in the Herbivore Park.

For 10 points: Bison, Barking Deer, Sambar, Himalayan Black Bear

For 5 points: Black Buck (2)

Not mentioned : Chital Spotted Deer and Nilgai Blue Bull.

Q4: From the Wiki page on Bangalore Palace, please tell me the name of any artiste who performed in the Palace grounds before 2007.

For 10 points: Mark Knopfler, Deep Purple

For 5 points: Roger Waters (2), Uriah Heep (2)

Not mentioned : Rolling Stones, Bryan Adams, Scorpions, Sting and Elton John.

Q5: Wiki has a list of List of IT companies in Bangalore, please choose the name of any of the UK or French companies listed.

For 10 points: Dassault

For 5 points: Symbian (3), Societe Generale (2)

Not mentioned : Capgemini, Phillips, ARM, Atkins, Logica and Thomson Reuters.

The final results:

45 points: szabs and denni19
35 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby722 and maninmidohio
30 points: brandz_mygirl

Our winners for this round are szabs and denni19. Congrats to szabs and denni for winning a trivia point each for April. Thanks to all the participants who sent in their answers. See you on Thursday .

#465038 - Mon Apr 20 2009 11:10 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Apr 13 Round – Answers

It’s I-s Turn.Thank you to the six wonderful players.

1) Please give me the name of a recipient from the Foundation (Ben & Jerry’s Foundation) who received a grant of less than $15,000 in the 4th quarter of 2008.
For Ten Points: Hackensack Middle School/GoodFellas, Missouri Rural Crisis Center, Ocean State Action Fund, Tennessee Clean Water Network
For Five Points: Friends of North Clackamas Parks (2)
Not mentioned: Catholic Charities of Tompkins/Tioga, Equity Trust Inc., US Society for Ecological Economics, Wild Utah Project, Young Voices, Youth Education Alliance.

2) Variety produced a list of the top 10 entertainment icons of the 20th century. Please name any one of the ten.
For Ten Points: Humphrey Bogart, James Dean, Lucille Ball
For Five Points: Marlon Brando (3)
Not mentioned: Charlie Chaplin, Elvis Presley, Louis Armstrong, Marilyn Monroe, Mickey Mouse, The Beatles.

3) This page provides some recipes for Icelandic seafood dishes. Please give me the English name of any of the recipes from the page, 13 to choose from.
For Ten Points: Crumbed Fish, Pickled Salmon/Trout, Traditional Icelandic Fish Balls
For Five Points: Herring Salad (3)
Not mentioned: Baked Fish Loaf, Fish Casserole with Onions and Cheese, Fish Pancakes, Fried Halibut Steaks, Haddock in Pepperoni Sauce, Leftover Fish in White Sauce, Marinated Herring, Mustard-Dill Sauce for Gravlax, Nuked Fish.

4) Please tell me an online service that the IRS provides for individual taxpayers.
For Ten Points: Compute your earned income tax credit (EITC) eligibility, Electronic filing options – the basics, Find out how to obtain copies of your tax returns, How much was my stimulus payment?, IRS withholding calculator, Sales tax deduction calculator
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Loads more can be found here.

5) Please give me any line from the song “Inchworm”.
For Ten Points: Please see ‘bold-ed’ song lines below.
For Five Points: Please see ‘bold-ed’ song lines below followed by a number in brackets.
Not mentioned: Please see ‘un-bold-ed’ lines below.

Inchworm
Two and two are four
Four and four are eight (2)
Eight and eight are sixteen (2)
Sixteen and sixteen are thirty-two

(Two additional verses are then sung in counterpoint with the first)
Inchworm, inchworm,
Measuring the marigolds,
You and your arithmetic,
You'll probably go far.

Inchworm, inchworm,
Measuring the marigolds
Seems to me you'd stop and see
How beautiful they are.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Deepakmr Congratulations to Deepak!

Other Results:
40 points: Gatsby, Denni, Szabs & Maninmidohio
35 points: Mugaboo

Gentle Monday wishes to one and all. Hope everyone will have a wonderful week.

#465039 - Mon Apr 20 2009 02:03 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 15th April Round
Q1 A day of the week
FOR TEN POINTS:
Saturday, Sunday,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Wednesday, (2) Thursday (2), Monday (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Tuesday,

Q2 One of the twelve apostles
FOR TEN POINTS:
James son of Alphaeus, John, John, son of Zebedee, Thomas, FOR FIVE POINTS:
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Thaddeus (2), Andrew, (2)
NOT MENTIONED:
Thomas and more

Q3 A sport you play at school
FOR TEN POINTS:
Netball, Cricket, Fencing, Volleyball, Lacrosse, Bowling,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Field hockey (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Football, Hockey and more

Q4 A Property on the standard British Monopoly Board. (Not a utility or a station. I do not mean any property on the regional versions of Monopoly, or any other versions).
FOR TEN POINTS:
Whitehall, Old Kent Road, Pentoville Road, Bow Street,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Coventry Street (2), Trafalgar Square (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Mayfair, Park Lane and more

Q5 A type of clothing
FOR TEN POINTS:
Gloves, Overalls, Necktie, Shorts, Earmuffs, Socks, Kilt, Sweater,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Shorts, T Shirt and more

COMPETITORS
Deepakmr – 45
Maninmidohio - 45
Brandz_mygirl- 40
Gatsby – 40
Denni - 40
Lottie101 – 40
Mugaboo -35
Szabs – 35

Well done Deepakmr and Maninmidohio

#465040 - Tue Apr 21 2009 01:13 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 21 - Tuesday, April 21st

After a wonderfully restive 4 days mini-holiday - yeah, we're weird over here and celebrated Easter this Sunday - I went back to WORK this morning. I must be getting very very old and very very lazy because all I can think of lately is how to stop working and stay at home pursuing my passions/hobbies. If you have any brilliant idea you're welcome to send it over.

1. Based in San Francisco, California, Last Day of WORK [this name sounds blissful] was founded by CEO Arthur Humphrey who, along with his wife and LDW Executive Producer Carla, puts a great deal of nurturing into developing and publishing thoughtful games for casual audiences.
Please have a look at their official website, go to the "Store" and pick ANY game they're offering.

2. "The WORKS" is a 1984 rock album by the famous band Queen. This is their 11th studio album, which marked a partial return to their rock roots and it was the first Queen album to be featured on CD.
Without any logic or connection , please give me the title of a song by Queen, starting with the letter "W".

3. TeamWORK is a joint action by two or more people or a group, in which each person contributes with different skills and Express his or her individual interests and opinions to the unity and efficiency of the group in order to achieve common goals.
Please give me the name of any Administrator, Chat Board moderator or Forum moderator on Fun Trivia.

4. "All WORK and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Very good proverb! The sentiment expressed by this proverb was first recorded thousands of years ago by the Egyptian sage Ptahhotep.
Please visit the Wikipedia page of the proverb and from the text assigned to Ptahhotep (written in 2400 B.C.) give me any word of 5 or more letters.

5. The intelligent people in charge of How Stuff WORKS website, offer incredible ideas, information, advice and various Top lists for things I would have never thought about.
From This Page please choose one of the 10 biggest lies listed.

This Round will stay open until Monday noon, FT time.
If you're having any trouble with my wording please drop me a message and I'll try to clarify things.

#465041 - Tue Apr 21 2009 02:02 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a quick reminder Round 17 will be closing in 24 hours. There is plenty of space for newcomers and veterans to send in your answers .

#465042 - Tue Apr 21 2009 07:09 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday Apr 20 – Quiz

Animals on the big and not so big screens.

1) That poor bunny in “Fatal Attraction”. (I know, I know, it probably had a body double, hopefully a rubber one, that took over at the crucial moment when we got a glimpse of what was in the pot.) I don’t personally know of anyone who has a pet rabbit but reading up on it, it seems that although rabbits make for wonderful loving pets, they are difficult to care for, with many specific care requirements. The Humane Society of the United States has an article “How to Care for Rabbits” on its website. Please give me one of the sub-titles (‘bold-ed’ ones) or one of the sub-sub-titles (‘italic-cised’ ones) from that article.

2) I never liked Tweety Bird, and always felt sorry for Sylvester. “The Cat and the Canary” is a play written by John Willard in 1922. It was adapted into films and the one that I shall be referring to in this question is the 1939 version starring Bob Hope. The movie plot (which differs here and there from the original play) revolves around the death of a wealthy old gentleman who stipulated that his will should be read only on the tenth anniversary of his death. Add a bunch of possible inheritors, throw in an old spooky mansion, dashes of a beautiful young lady and a homicidal maniac, mix all these with plenty of Bob Hope and you’ll get a delicious romp. Please name an actor/actress who appeared in the 1939 film “The Cat and the Canary” – AND – whose character had a proper name (first, last or both).

3) I miss the crocodile hunter. I enjoyed his TV shows (not bringing up the movie ) . He was passionate about crocodiles and conservation. Steve Irwin and his wife, Terri, ran the Australia Zoo which his parents started way back in 1970. From Australia Zoo’s website, please tell me any one item in either the “What to bring when visiting Australia Zoo” list – OR- the “What not to bring when visiting Australia Zoo” list.

4) One of my favourite bears has got to be “Baloo” from Disney’s “The Jungle Book” and my favourite song from the movie is none other than “Bear Necessities”. Englishman Rudyard Kipling wrote “The Jungle Book” which is actually a series of fables involving animals living in the Indian jungle. (Only three of fourteen stories in the book is about Mowgli, the jungle boy, and I think Baloo featured in only two stories.) Rudyard Kipling faced a personal tragedy when his only son, John, died at the Battle of Loos in 1915. He wrote the poem “My Boy Jack” when his son was first reported as missing. It was years later before John’s death was finally confirmed. (How absolutely terrible for the family, any family, to have to live with such uncertainty all those years). There are four stanzas in the poem. Please give me either the first –OR- last line from any one of the four stanzas of “My Boy Jack”.

5) Mowgli had Baloo the Bear, Hans Solo had Chewbacca the Wookie, Tarzan had Cheeta the chimpanzee. Just a note that chimpanzees are not monkeys but are part of the great ape family. This page provides some facts about chimpanzees. At the top of the page are 9 quick facts. Please give me any one of those facts.

Late as usual, though a bit earlier than last week. Things should be better next week. This round will close on Sunday 26 April at noon FT time.

#465043 - Wed Apr 22 2009 02:05 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 22nd April 2008
Tomorrow is St George’s day – and also the date of William Shakespeare’s death. So this is a English round.

Q1. A well known English tourist attraction
Q2. A well known George – apart from Saint George! – any nationality
Q3. A well known William, - apart from William Shakespeare! – any nationality
Q4. Something you associate with England
Q5. A British comedy programme
This round closes at the weekend!

#465044 - Wed Apr 22 2009 01:17 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 17 is now closed answers will be up shortly.

#465045 - Thu Apr 23 2009 02:07 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 17 Friday – Answers

We had six hearty players participating in the ”Fall round”.

1. Vesna Vulovic holds the world record, according to the Guinness Book of Records, for surviving the highest fall without a parachute: 10,160 meters (33,333 feet). Vulovic was interviewed by Philip Baum in 2001, from this page could you please give me one of the first 10 questions she was asked in the interview.

For 10 Points : Where did you join the fated flight?, What are your recollections of the day of the bombing?
For 5 Points : So what is the next thing you recall? (2), What injuries had you actually sustained? (2)
Among Others: So you were paralysed from the waist down?, When were you actually told what had actually happened?

2. The Fall is an English post punk band formed in early 1977, the band has existed in some form ever since, and is essentially built around its founder and only constant member Mark E. Smith. Throughout their years they have released about 50 albums. From this site , please give me the name of an album released between 1978 and 1984.

For 10 Points : Totale's Turns, . Slates
For 5 Points : Room To Live (2), Hex Enduction Hour (2)
Among Others: Live At The Witch Trials, In A Hole

3. The Fall is a movie by well known and award wining film director Tarsem, released in 2008. From the official site of the movie, please give me a character that has a proper name.

For 10 Points : Roy Walker, Alexander the Great, Dr. Whitaker, Mr. Sabatini
For 5 Points : Father Augustine (2)
Among Others: Walt Purdy, Nurse Evelyn, Darwin, Otto

4. Fall Creek Vineyards was established in 1975 by Texas businessman/rancher, Ed Auler and his wife, Susan. The vineyards are located eighty miles northwest of Austin in the Texas Hill Country. From their official site, please go to the “Wines” section and give me the name of one of their wines.

10 Points to All : 2005 Caché, Cascade, The Mission, Muscat Canelli, Viognier, Chenin Blanc
Among Others: Meritus, Sauvignon Blanc, Granite Blush, White Zinfandel

5. Fall for the Book Festival is Northern Virginia's oldest and largest celebration of literature and the arts, the events take place at George Mason University in Fairfax Virginia. Please give me the name of a participant in the 2009 September Fall for the Book Festival.

For 10 Points : Scott Cairns, Sherman Alexie
For 5 Points : Jayanti Tamm (2), Michael Sims (2)
The others: Jessica Anthony, E.L. Doctorow, Yiyun Li

Scores

We have two winners with 45 points : Gatsby722 & Mugaboo
With 40 points: Maninmidohio
With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Denni19
With 35 points: Deepakmr

A hearty congratulations goes out to both winners in this round Gatsby & Mugaboo , each will receive a trivia point for the month of April. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#465046 - Thu Apr 23 2009 04:31 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 23 – Thursday

Today was Election Day and I made sure I cast my vote to elect my member of parliament. Elections are on in India, the world’s largest democracy to elect a parliament. This is the biggest election ever in the world. 543 constituencies and 714 million voters make it the mother of all elections. This round is about Elections in India.

Q1: Elections in India are 100% automated, we vote using EVM’s (Electronic Voting machines). This ensures that counting of votes is quick and easy. Keeping in mind the size of the elections, it is being held in five phases. Today was Phase Two of the election and there are a total of five phases. The last phase of polling is on May 13th. Please tell me the name of any of the states/union territories in India, where polling is scheduled to be held on May 13th (Phase V).

Q2: Unlike the US and UK, which have a two-party system, India has a plethora of political parties who contest elections. Parties are classified as national and state parties depending on the percentage of votes they get in the elections. Please tell me the name of any of the national parties or the head of a national political party. (The Wiki page on Indian political parties will give you the answer).

Q3 : The first Indian general elections was in 1952 and since then there have been 14 general elections. Countries like Australia have made voting mandatory. Unfortunately, this is not enforced in India and as a result voter turnout is just above average. This page has a summary of election statistics, please tell me an year, when the voter turnout was more than 50%.

Q4 : The Election Commission of India is the constitutional authority responsible for conducting free and fair polls. The commission has special powers to ensure that it can conduct the world’s largest elections. Please tell me the name of any of the Chief Election Commissioners of India, who held office after the 1990’s.

Q5 : This time the political scenario in India is murky with three fronts – the BJP led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), the Congress led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and a motley group that have formed the Third Front. Pollsters and pundits predict a hung parliament and a period of political instability for India. This page has the names of the top Indian politicians, any one of whom can be the Prime Minister after counting day on May 16. Please select the name of any of the Prime Minister contenders listed on the page.

The round will close on 27 April, Monday. Please do send me a PM if you need help for any of the questions. Enjoy the rest of the week

#465047 - Fri Apr 24 2009 02:05 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 18 - 6 played

1. Can you tell me a name of a diving course available from Capricorn Reef Diving, that is located near enough on the Tropics of Capricorn.
For 10 points: Drift Diver; Emergency First Response; Master Scuba Diver; Multilevel Diver
For 5 points: Underwater Naturalist [2]
Not mentioned include: Night Diver; Rescue Diver; Underwater Videographer

2. Please give me any character from Shakespeare's play "The Tempest"
For 10 points: Adrian; Ariel; Caliban; Miranda
For 5 points: Alonso [2]
Not mentioned include: Prospero; Sebastian; Trinculo

3. Please name one of the commanders (French or Mexican) during the French intervention in Mexico (1861-67)
For 10 points: François Achille Bazaine; Benito Juárez; Charles de Lorencez; Ignacio Zaragoza
For 5 points: Tomás Mejía [2]
Not mentioned: Porfirio Díaz; Mariano Escobedo; Elie Frédéric Forey; Miguel Miramón

4. Please name any Spanish ship that was wrecked off Anegada between 1500 and 1899.
For 10 points: Donna Della Gracia; Ida; Nevarro; Restauradora; Santa Rosa; Soledad
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Aftrivedo; El Cesar; El Rayo; La Victoria; San Joseph

5. Name any actress who has played the part of Cleopatra in a movie.
For 10 points: Amanda Barrie; Chili Bouchier; Claudette Colbert; Rhonda Fleming; Florence Lawrence; Sonora
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Theda Bara; Monica Bellucci; Vivien Leigh; Sophia Loren; Elizabeth Taylor

Scores:

50 points: Brandz_mygirl
45 points: Deepakmr; Denni19; Maninmidohio; Szabs
40 points: Gatsby722

Well done Brandz, that maximun score was well worth that point for winning round 18.

#465048 - Fri Apr 24 2009 11:51 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 24

Last week I had a very successful round with William Smith (the name of the coordinate institution, William Smith College, with the college that I graduated from, Hobart College). There was such a wealth of material for various William Smiths and variations on the name that this will be the William Smith Revisited Round.

1. Lieutenant Colonel William Osborne Smith has the distinction of being the first commissioner of the North-West Mounted Police which eventually became the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. He held the position from September of 1873 to October of 1873. Please tell me another Commissioner who held the post before 1959.

2. At 9:40 a.m. on Saturday, July 28, 1945, a B-25 Mitchell bomber, piloted in thick fog by Lieutenant Colonel William Franklin Smith, Jr., crashed into the north side of the Empire State Building, between the 79th and 80th floors, where the offices of the National Catholic Welfare Council were located. One engine shot through the side opposite the impact and flew as far as the next block where it landed on the roof of a nearby building, starting a fire that destroyed a penthouse. From the official internet site of the Empire State Building tell me the name of a restaurant or retail establishment in the Empire State Building available for your patronage.

3. William Mein Smith (1799 - 1869) was a key player in the early settlement of New Zealand's capital city, Wellington. As the Surveyor General for the Wakefield's New Zealand Company from 1840 to 1843, he and his team surveyed the town of Wellington, after finding the land on the Petone foreshore unsuitable, laying out the Town Belt. He is probably as well known for his many water colours and sketches of early Wellington and Wairarapa. From this genealogical site please tell me one of the children of William Mein Smith and Louise Basgrave Wallace.

4. William T. "Wee Willie" Smith (April 22, 1911–March 14, 1992) was one of the first great African American basketball players. He played for the New York Renaissance, an all-black professional team. From 1932 to 1936, Smith and his six teammates won over 400 games, including an 88 game winning streak from January 1, 1933 to March 27, 1933. The entire Renaissance team was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1963. Please tell me either another team that was inducted as a whole into the Basketball Hall of Fame or another inductee into the Hall in 1963.

5. Will Smith is probably the most famous rapper turned Renaissance man. He has shown his versatility as an actor, comedian, and film producer. Please tell me a film role (character's name) he has played from 1996 through 2008 (no TV or voice work, please).

The William Smith Revisited Round will end Noonish on Wednesday, April 29. If you have any problems with any of the questions, just let me know and I will gladly offer assistance. Have a great weekend.

Edited by maninmidohio (Sat Apr 25 2009 12:16 PM)

#465049 - Sun Apr 26 2009 11:01 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 23 (Elections in India) will be closing in about 24 hours from now. Lots of time left for both veterans and newbies to send their answers

#465050 - Sun Apr 26 2009 11:03 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Apr 20 Round – Answers

A Fantastic Four played the Animals on the big and not so big screens round.

1) The Humane Society of the United States has an article “How to Care for Rabbits” on its website. Please give me one of the sub-titles (‘bold-ed’ ones) or one of the sub-sub-titles (‘italic-cised’ ones) from that article.
For Ten Points: Bunny Bathrooms, Chew on This, Fix That Bunny, Vegetables.
Not mentioned: A Balanced Diet, Caged or Free to Roam?, Foods to Avoid, Fruits and Treats, Handle With Care, Hay, Home Sweet Home, I Need a Friend, Indoors or Outdoors, Pellets, Water, What’s Up Doc?

2) Please name an actor/actress who appeared in the 1939 film “The Cat and the Canary” – AND – whose character had a proper name (first, last or both).
For Ten Points: Elizabeth Patterson, John Beal
For Five Points: Gale Sondergaard (2)
Not mentioned: Bob Hope, Douglass Montgomery, George Zucco, John Wray, Nydia Westman, Paulette Goddard.

3) From Australia Zoo’s website, please tell me any one item in either the “What to bring when visiting Australia Zoo” list – OR- the “What not to bring when visiting Australia Zoo” list.
For Ten Points: Bring:A Watch, Camera, Rain Poncho. DON’T Bring: Your Own Animal Food.
Not mentioned: Bring:Cash, Comfortable Clothes & Shoes, Hat Sunglasses Sunscreen, Snacks/Food, Water DON’T Bring Alcohol, Domestic Animals.

4) Please give me either the first –OR- last line from any one of the four stanzas of “My Boy Jack”.
For Ten Points: Has any one else had word of him?, Have you news of my boy Jack?
For Five Points: Not even with that wind blowing and that tide (2)
Not mentioned: And gave to that wind blowing and that tide, Not with this wind blowing and this tide, Oh dear what comfort can I find?, Then hold your head up all the more.

5) This page provides some facts about chimpanzees. At the top of the page are 9 quick facts. Please give me any one of those facts.
For Ten Points: None!
For Five Points: Gestation: 8 months (2), Habitat: Forest (2)
Not mentioned: Diet: Omnivorous forager, Lifespan: 50 years, Predators: Humans and Leopards, Scientific name: Pan Troglodytes, Size: Three to Four half feet tall standing bipedal, Swahili name: Sokwe Mtu, Weight: Fifty Five to Hundred and Ten Pounds.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Gatsby Well done to Gats!

Other Results:
40 points: Deepakmr & Mugaboo
35 points: Maninmidohio

My grateful thanks to all the players. Hope you will all have a great week.

#465051 - Sun Apr 26 2009 12:10 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 22 (Wednesday) closes tomorrow

#465052 - Mon Apr 27 2009 10:24 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 22nd April 2008 results

Q1. A well known English tourist attraction
FOR TEN POINTS:
Big Ben, Longleat, Tate Britain, Sir John Soane's Museum, Brighton, Blackpool illumination lights ,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Buckingham Palace, and more

Q2. A well known George – apart from Saint George! – any nationality
FOR TEN POINTS:
George Fernandes, George Orwell, George Takei (“Mr. Sulu”), George Hamilton, George Segal (artist), George Lucas,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
George Washington and more

Q3. A well known William, - apart from William Shakespeare! – any nationality
FOR TEN POINTS:
William Hague, William Jefferson Clinton, William Holden, William Wordsworth,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
William Makepeace Thackerey (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
William Wallace and more

Q4. Something you associate with England
FOR TEN POINTS:
English language, Morris dancing, White cliffs of Dover, The Elephant man (John Merrick), John Bull, Buckingham Palace,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
The weather and more

Q5. A British comedy programme
FOR TEN POINTS:
Mr Bean, All Gas and Gators, Bit of Fry and Laurie, Life of Riley, As Time goes by, One Foot in the Grave,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Only Fools and Horses and more

SCORES – 6 players
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby – 50
Mugaboo - 50
Szabs – 50
Deepakmr – 45
Maninmidohio – 45

Well done to Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby, Mugaboo and Szabs