Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#465053 - Mon Apr 27 2009 10:42 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Round 23 – Thursday
Elections in India

Six super players participated in this round.

Q1: Please tell me the name of any of the states/union territories in India, where polling is scheduled to be held on May 13th.

For 10 points: Jammu & Kashmir, West Bengal, Uttarakhand,

For 5 points: Chandigarh (3)

Not mentioned : Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and Puduchery.

Q2: Please tell me the name of any of the national parties or the head of a national political party.

For 10 points: Bahujan Samaj Party, Communist Party of India, Rajnath Singh, Mayawati

For 5 points: Sharad Pawar (2)

Not mentioned :, Indian National Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party, National Congress Party, Communist Party of India (Marxist), Sonia Gandhi, Prakash Karat and A B Bardhan.

Q3: This page has a summary of election statistics, please tell me an year, when the voter turnout was more than 50%.

For 10 points: 1971, 1980

For 5 points: 1977 (2), 1996 (2)

Not mentioned : 1962, 1967, 1984, 1989, 1991, 1998, 1999 and 2004.

Q4: Please tell me the name of any of the Chief Election Commissioners of India, who held office after the 1990’s.

For 10 points: M S Gill, B B Tandon

For 5 points: T S Krishnamurthy (2) , J M Lyngdoh (2)

Not mentioned : R V S Peri Sastri, V S Ramadevi, T N Seshan, N Gopalaswami and Navin Chawla.

Q5: This page has the names of the top Indian politicians, any one of whom can be the Prime Minister after counting day on May 16. Please select the name of any of the Prime Minister hopefuls listed on the page.

For 10 points: Lalu Prasad Yadav, Sharad Pawar, Pranab Mukherjee, Narendra Modi

For 5 points: Mulayam Singh Yadav (2)

Not mentioned : L K Advani, Manmohan Singh, Mayawati, Sonia Gandhi, Chandrababu Naidu, Jayalalitha and Rahul Gandhi.

The final results:

50 points: maninmidohio
35 points: Mugaboo, brandz_mygirl, bikoz, Gatsby722 and szabs

A perfect score again for maninmidohio who emerges as the winner for this round. Congrats to maninmidohio for winning a trivia point for April. A special thanks to all the participants. Have a great week .

#465054 - Mon Apr 27 2009 06:31 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 21 is now closed and I'll come up with the results tomorrow.

#465055 - Tue Apr 28 2009 12:37 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday Apr 27 – Quiz

Various. These were the topics for the hardcore players in the latest Global Challenge.

1) Geography – The study of the earth and all its relationships. An extremely wide field of study which covers many areas. Three main subfields are physical, human and environmental (which deals with the interactions between physical and human), and each of these main subfields have several extensive areas of specialized studies. One sub-sub area of geography that fascinates me is geomorphology, why landforms evolve the way they do. A famous landform is the Grand Canyon. It has been estimated that the Colorado River took six million years (!) to carve out the Grand Canyon. While surfing the Grand Canyon National Park website, I found this cool page which lets you listen to various Natural Sounds. Please give me the title of any one of those sounds.

2) Humanities – Humanities goes with the arts, just like thunder and lightning, golf and Mr. Woods. But what exactly is humanities? One answer laid out in a straightforward simple manner is, “to try to understand what it means to be human, what is the experience of it and how have people managed it in the past, the future, and do so today”. Sorry, don’t know where this quote is from. Other web definitions include “studies intended to provide general knowledge and intellectual skills (rather than occupational or professional skills)” and “The study of the manmade arts such as art, literacy, music that convey the cultural aspects of humanity”. Wiki lists 9 fields of study for Humanities. Please give me any one of those fields. Do NOT include sub-fields.

3) People – The writer Phyllis Dorothy James or as she is better known, P.D. James. I am a big fan of crime fiction and I love the Adam Dalgliesh books. Due to family circumstances, P.D. James only began writing her first book in her mid 30s. “Cover Her Face” was published in 1962. She has since penned 20 books, her latest “The Private Patient” was published in November 2008. On her official website, she provides “mystery writing lessons” for crime writers wanna-bes. Please give me any one of those lessons/advice.

4) Sports – I’m horrible with sports-related questions so, for purely selfish reasons (I don’t have to rack my brains for something to write about), I’ll make this question super short and easy. Please name a sport that is played with a ball.

5) Television – Some of us might be interested in the May U.S. broadcast TV upfronts. This is when the fall schedules for the main broadcast networks are revealed and shows that are on the ‘bubble’ (renewal is in the air) will find out their fate. Some renewals, and to a much lesser degree, cancellations, announcements might be released prior to the upfronts. You can view the upfront schedules on this site. Please give me the name of a broadcaster and the date of its upfront in May. NOTE: The link does not take you directly to the schedules list.

This round will close on Sunday 3 May at noon (FT time). Wishing everyone a great week.

#465056 - Tue Apr 28 2009 12:29 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 24 - the William Smith Revisited Round will close in about 24 hours. Plenty of time to submit your answers. New players welcomed.

#465057 - Wed Apr 29 2009 03:43 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 29th April round
Q1 A film beginning with G
Q2 A song title beginning with G
Q3 A book title beginning with G
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with G
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with G
This will close over the weekend

#465058 - Wed Apr 29 2009 01:39 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
RESULTS for ROUND 21 – Tuesday, April 21st

1. Please have a look at Last Day of WORK’s official website, go to the "Store" and pick ANY game they're offering.

10 points: EZ Blackjack, Virtual Villagers: A New Home, Little Pocket Pet, Virtual Villagers 2: The Lost Children

5 points: Fish Tycoon (2) [lovely game, I can get lost in it for weeks]

Not mentioned: Plant Tycoon, Village Sim, Video Poker Teacher and a few more.

2. Please give me the title of a song by Queen, starting with the letter "W".

10 points ALL: Warboys (A Prayer For Peace), What Are We Made Of, White Man, Who Needs You, Who Wants To Live Forever, White Queen (As It Began)

3. Please give me the name of any Administrator, Chat Board moderator or Forum moderator on Fun Trivia.

10 points: Cydonia325, Collect

5 points: Ozfei (2), Copago (2)

Not mentioned: Sue943, Bloomsby, Sypher, Gtho4, Romeomikegolf, Cinammon and many others.

4. Please visit the Wikipedia page for the proverb "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" and from the text assigned to Ptahhotep (written in 2400 B.C.) give me any word of 5 or more letters.

10 points ALL: accounts, passes, steersman, diversity, bowman, reckons

5. From This Page please choose one of the 10 biggest lies listed.

10 points: Piltdown Man, Anna Anderson alias Anastasia

5 points: The Dreyfus Affair (2), Titus Oates and the Plan to Kill Charles II (2)

Not mentioned: The Trojan Horse, Hans van Meegeren's Vermeer Forgeries, Bernie Madoff's Ponzi Scheme, Clinton/Lewinsky Affair, Watergate, The Big Lie: Nazi Propaganda

The results for ROUND 21 are:

With 50 points: Brandz_mygirl – Great job!

With 40 points: Szabs, Deepakmr, Gatsby, Maninmidohio and Mugaboo

“Thank you!” to all six (6) of you who played along.
“Warmest Congratulations!” to our winner Brandz_mygirl, who gets an April point for a set of perfect answers.

*** This time next Wednesday I’ll be on holiday, visiting Sue943 in Jersey, Channel Islands. Yay!
Sorry for being late with the results, for not posting a round every Tuesday this month and for not playing your rounds . Apart from holiday thoughts and plans, my mind is not capable of focusing on anything else.***

#465059 - Thu Apr 30 2009 02:27 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 30 – Thursday

The topic for today’s round is Indian Cuisine.

Q1: Wheat is the staple food in most parts of India, especially in North India. Wheat is of course used to make bread and in India it is the Indian bread that is popular. There are a variety of Indian breads made not only from wheat, but from other ingredients too. In the northern part of India, Roti is the common type of bread and in the southern part, it is the Chapathi. From this page, please select any bread, made from wheat flour.

Q2: In the Southern part of India, rice is the staple food. Of course, wheat and rice dishes are eaten all over India, but people in the South are more partial to rice. There are variety of rice dishes made, popular among them being the Biryani, Pulao, Bisi Bele Bath and Curd Rice. This page has a list of a few rice dishes, please tell me the name of any of the dishes, that start from the letters ‘G’ or ‘V’.

Q3 : World over, it is the curry that defines Indian food. Most people associate Indian food with curry. No Indian food would be complete with an accompanying curry. And of course, no curry would be complete without lots of chilli and other spices. Curry powder is made from various spices and is the heart of Indian cuisine. This page has the recipe for making curry powder, from the given list of ingredients, please choose one.

Q4 : After that hot curry, I am sure you would need something sweet and cool. So, how about an Indian dessert? This page has a list of delicious desserts, pick any one you like.

Q5 : A cookbook would be handy for those who are interested in Indian cuisine, but don’t know anything about it. Tarla Dalal and Sanjeev Kapoor are two of the most popular TV chefs in India, who have written many cookbooks. Please tell me the name of any of the chicken dishes listed in the table of contents, from Sanjeev Kapoor’s book Khazana of Indian Recipes.

This delicious round will close on 5th May, Tuesday. I am sure you will have a yummy time searching for the answers

#465060 - Thu Apr 30 2009 08:12 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 24 – Results

We had five great players for the William Smith Revisited Round – thanks to all for playing.

1. Please tell me a Commissioner of the North-West Mounted Police (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) who followed Lieutenant Colonel William Osborne Smith and held the post before 1959.

For 10 Points:
James Farquharson MacLeod, Aylesworth Bowen Perry, and Leonard Hanson Nicholson
For 5 Points: Acheson Gosford Irvine (2)
Not Chosen: Lawrence William Herchmer, Cortlandt Starnes, Sir James Howden MacBrien, and Stuart Taylor Wood

2. From the official internet site of the Empire State Building tell me the name of a restaurant or retail establishment in the Empire State Building available for your patronage.

For 10 Points:
Finesse Jewelers, Men’s Wearhouse, and Perfumania
For 5 Points: Europa Café (2)
Not Chosen: Chipotle, Heartland Brewery, Rosa’s Pizza, Uncle Louie G’s, Strawberry, and Walgreen’s

3. From this genealogical site please tell me one of the children of William Mein Smith and Louise Basgrave Wallace.

For 10 Points:
Louisa Smith, Wallace Smith (1831-1837), and Wallace Smith (1837-1907)
For 5 Points: Frances Campbell Smith (2)
Not Chosen: George Frederick Smith, Julia Smith, William Smith, Helen Forbes Stuart Smith. And Louisa Basgrave Smith

4. Please tell me either a team other than the New York Renaissance that was inducted as a whole into the Basketball Hall of Fame or another inductee into the Hall in 1963.

For 10 Points:
First Team, Original Celtics, and Robert F. Gruenig
For 5 Points: Buffalo Germans (2)
Not Chosen: Harlem Globetrotters, Texas Western, and William A. Reid

5. Please tell me a film roll (character name) Will Smith has played from 1996 through 2008 (no TV or voice work, please).

For 10 Points: Detective Mike Lowrey, Del Spooner, and Robert Neville
For 5 Points: Capt. James West (2)
Not Chosen: Captain Stephen Hiller, James Edwards/Agent J, Robert Clayton Dean, Bagger Vance, Mohammed Ali/Cassius Clay, Alex “Hitch” Hitchens, Chris Gardner, John Hancock, and Ben Thompson

The Results:

With 50 Points: Gatsby722
With 45 Points: szabs
With 40 Points: deepakmr
With 35 Points: Mugaboo
With 30 Points: brandz_mygirl

It was a very interesting round where everyone seems to have found their own level. Gatsby722 comes out on top, however, with a perfect round and takes away a Trivia Point for the month of April. Thanks to everyone for playing

#465061 - Sat May 02 2009 10:41 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Reminder that Round 27 will be closing in just over 24 hours (closing time is Sunday noon FT time).

#465062 - Sun May 03 2009 01:51 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I will close round 29 - Wednesday - later today

#465063 - Sun May 03 2009 11:02 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Apr 27 Round – Answers

Various had five great players.

1) While surfing the Grand Canyon National Park website, I found this cool page which lets you listen to various Natural Sounds. Please give me the title of any one of those sounds.
For Ten Points: Bird Songs at Sunrise, Bugling Elk, Cicadas
For Five Points: Bass Rapid (2)
Not mentioned: Hance Creek, Thunderstorm.

2) Wiki lists 9 fields of study for Humanities. Please give me any one of those fields.
For Ten Points: Law, Literature, Religion
For Five Points: Languages (2)
Not mentioned: Classics, History, Performing Arts, Philosophy, Visual Arts.

3) On her (P.D. James) official website, she provides “mystery writing lessons” for crime writers wanna-bes. Please give me any one of those lessons/advice.
For Ten Points: Create compelling characters, Follow the “fair-play rule”
For Five Points: Research research research (3)
Not mentioned: …And write, Center your mystery, Follow a schedule, Read, Study reality.

4) Please name a sport that is played with a ball.
For Ten Points: Cricket, Squash, Water polo
For Five Points: Lacrosse (2)
Not mentioned: Baseball, Basketball, Field hockey, Golf, Polo, Soccer, Table-tennis, Tennis, Volleyball and more.

5) You can view the upfront schedules on this site. Please give me the name of a broadcaster and the date of its upfront in May.
For Ten Points: May 5 NBC (the site has since updated the upfront date for NBC to May 4), May 18 Fox, May 19 ABC, May 19 ESPN, May 20 Turner Entertainment
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: May 4 Scripps Network, May 14 AETN, May 19 Fox Sports En Español, May 20 CBS, May 20 Adult Swim, May 21 The CW.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Mugaboo & Deepakmr Well done to our 2 winners!

Other Results:
40 points: Szabs & Gatsby
35 points: Maninmidohio

Thank you to all the players. Wishing everyone a great week.

#465064 - Sun May 03 2009 03:14 PM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 29th April round results

Q1 A film beginning with G
FOR TEN POINTS:
Get Smart, Give Us Wings (1940), Gigli, Grandview, USA (1984), Grey owl, Goldfinger, Glengarry Glen Ross,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Guys and Dolls and more

Q2 A song title beginning with G
FOR TEN POINTS:
Girl - Destiny's Child, Gonna Make You A Star (David Essex), Getting to know you, Got to be more careful (Jon Cleary), General Crossing (Jethro Tull), Good Luck to you – Sinceros, "Get This Money" (by Jamie Foxx),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Greensleeves and more

Q3 A book title beginning with G
FOR TEN POINTS:
Girl With a Peal Earring by Tracy Chevalier, Geis of the Gargoyle (by Piers Anthony), Great Expectations, Grave Mistake (by Ngaio Marsh), Going to Bend by Diane Hammond, Gods, Demons and others – R K Narayan, "Glass Houses" by Stella Cameron,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Goldfinger (Ian Fleming) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with G
FOR TEN POINTS:
Gauntlet, Grumbler, Glycerin, Gestured, Gnashing,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Grateful (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Greenery and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with G
FOR TEN POINTS:
Granny Smith Apple, Ground rice, Gingersnaps, Guava, Gamalost cheese , Grapes, Graham Crackers,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Grapefruit and more

COMPETITORS – 7 people
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Deepakmr – 50
Gatsby – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs – 50
Maninmidohio - 45
Zorba_scank – 45

Well done: Brandz_mygirl, Deepakmr, Gatsby, Mugaboo, and Szabs!

#465065 - Mon May 04 2009 10:39 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 30 (Indian Cuisine) will close in 24 hours from now. Veterans and newcomers are invited to send in their answers

#465066 - Tue May 05 2009 11:28 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 30 – Thursday
Indian Cuisine

Five fantastic players participated in this round.

Q1: From this page, please select any bread, made from wheat flour.

For 10 points: Roti, Chapati, Bhatura

For 5 points: Paratha (2)

Not mentioned : Naan, Baati, Puri and Pooran Poli.

Q2: This page has a list of a few rice dishes, please tell me the name of any of the dishes, that start from the letters ‘G’ or ‘V’.

For 10 points: Green Pulao, Vegetable Biryani, Vegetable Rice

For 5 points: Green Khichdi (2)

Not mentioned : Ghee Rice, Ginger Citrus Rice, Green Masala Rice, Green Peas Pulao & Raita, Vegetable Fried Rice and Vegetable Khichdi.

Q3: This page has the recipe for making curry powder, from the given list of ingredients, please choose one.

For 10 points: Cloves, Bay leaves, Black peppercorns

For 5 points: Coriander seeds (2)

Not mentioned : Cumin seeds, Black cumin seeds, Dry Ginger, Black cardamom and Cinnamon.

Q4: This page has a list of delicious desserts with a tempting photo as well, pick any one you like.

For 10 points: Kesar Kheer,

For 5 points: Rasmalai (2) , Gajar Halwa (2)

Not mentioned : Kheer, Sooji Halwa, Gulab Jamun and Kaju Katri.

Q5: Please tell me the name of any of the chicken dishes listed in the table of contents, from Sanjeev Kapoor’s book Khazana of Indian Recipes.

For 10 points: Chicken makhani, Kozhi vartha kari, Chicken kandhari kofta

For 5 points: Sunheri murgh (2)

Not mentioned : Chicken Chettinad, Chicken curry, Chicken xacuti, Dum murgh and Tandoori chicken.

The final results:

50 points: brandz_mygirl
40 points: maninmidohio and Gatsby722
30 points: Mugaboo and szabs

brandz_mygirl tops this round with a perfect score and is the winner for this round. Congrats to brandz for winning a trivia point for April. Thanks to all those who participated. Enjoy the rest of the week .

#465067 - Wed May 06 2009 06:15 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 1 will end in about 6 hours, plenty of time for last minute entries.

#465068 - Wed May 06 2009 10:54 AM Re: April 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Here are the results for April:

1) brandz_mygirl (8 points)
2) Mugaboo
..szabs (7 points each)

3) deepakmr (6 points)
4) Gatsby722 (5 points)
5) maninmidohio (3 points)
6) denni19 (2 points)

This time maninmidohio slips from the top and makes way for brandz_mygirl who is the winner for April.

The cumulative points tally for the year (Jan-Apr) is as follows:

1) maninmidohio
..Mugaboo (26 points each)
2) brandz_mygirl(25 points)
3) deepakmr (24 points)
4) denni19 (22 points)
5) szabs (20 points)
6) Gatsby722 (16 points)
7) leelee63 (8 points)
8) deputygary (7 points)
9) PDAZ (3 points)
10) Bikoz
..Skylar7
..Tredici (2 points each)
11) Gemini19 (1 point)

Mugaboo has caught up with maninmidohio to be joint leader with brandz close behind. The race has become close, let's see what happens in May

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ozzz2002