Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#466331 - Thu Apr 09 2009 05:23 PM Full Quiz categories
theann111 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Stockton Wisconsin USA     
I think that it is kind of unfair that categories such as friends, the babysitters club, harry potter, etc. Are all full and nobody else can post quizzes. There is some quizzes from 6+ years ago. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but what is the point of having new members if all of the fun categories are restricted? I think that some of the oldest quizzes should get deleted, or there should be some other way for new members to make quizzes in the category they want.

#466332 - Thu Apr 09 2009 06:20 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
We've had this discussion before (with another member). If that happened, then where would the fun go in making quizzes, if you knew they were going to be deleted? If you truly think you can make a completely unique "Harry Potter" quiz, message one of the editors and see if they'd let you be an exception, or maybe make it highly restricted instead of closed (I am not an editor or anything, so I don't know if that would work).

There are plenty of categories that aren't closed. Enjoy those, or better yet, make a quiz there AREN'T any categories for!

#466333 - Thu Apr 09 2009 08:19 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
A restricted category is not a closed category - we have some of each. If you meet the requirements, you can write a quiz in a restricted category.
Please note that the first (and only the first - there are others) of these requirements is that you have at least five quizzes online and at least two of those should be in the main category of the restricted category. For example, if you want to write a quiz about a "Harry Potter" movie, then two of your quizzes must be in the Movies Category.
If you want to write about the "Harry Potter" books, then you might be out of luck, because I think those are closed.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#466334 - Thu Apr 09 2009 10:17 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Harry Potter books are tightly restricted.

#466335 - Fri Apr 10 2009 06:45 AM Re: Full Quiz categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

What if one wanted to write a quiz in a closed category? Obviously, it's "closed" for a reason, but if one could write an extremely different and good quiz for the category, could the category maybe be changed to tightly restricted? I ask because I have a category in mind, that is closed, but I think that is debatable.

#466336 - Fri Apr 10 2009 08:31 AM Re: Full Quiz categories
agony Offline

Administrator

You can always ask an editor in that category.

The editor would consider several things -

Is the quiz really different from what we already have online, and of a high quality?

Is the author someone who works well with the editors, and who understands and fully implements editorial instructions?

What was the reason for closing the category?

Some categories are closed because they are the 'flavour of the week' - we have been flooded with poor quality quizzes, which have mined a small vein of information to death. An example of this would be a young pop singer who has a big hit with her first release - she's never really done anything, and there is nothing to write factual info about. There's enough material there for maybe three quizzes, and we've received forty. If an author could figure out a new approach to this type of category, we'd maybe allow it.

Some categories are closed because we have decided they are just not in the best interests of the site. The subject matter may be offensive, for example, or highly simplistic. You'd be much less likely to succeed at convincing an editor to allow this.

For anyone who has a great idea for a closed category, I'd strongly advise not writing the quiz until you have discussed it thoroughly with an editor who has agreed to work with you on it. "Shopping around" would not work well with this, either. If one editor says "No, don't think so", you won't get anywhere by searching for another editor who will accept it. Don't even think about it unless you are an experienced author in good standing who has played every quiz in the category. Even then, chances are pretty good it wouldn't go anywhere. As said above, the categories are closed for a reason.

#466337 - Fri Apr 10 2009 04:32 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Quote:

I think that it is kind of unfair that categories such as friends, the babysitters club, harry potter, etc. Are all full and nobody else can post quizzes. There is some quizzes from 6+ years ago. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but what is the point of having new members if all of the fun categories are restricted? I think that some of the oldest quizzes should get deleted, or there should be some other way for new members to make quizzes in the category they want.

Alas, the problem is not unique. In most fields of endeavor, the most obvious applications of wisdom have been made many years hence. Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras--all are monumental figures by the resolutely unfair virtue of having asked the primary questions first. So to with trivia. The great, formative questions - such as "What is Ross' job on Friends?" or "Who played bass for the Beatles?" - have long since been asked. The challenge of the latecomer is to surpass precedent, to stand on the shoulders of giants and construct a new ediface of grandiose triviality. None of us can be an Arthur or a Washington and be regarded as founding figures of our countries. The geas of our generation is to forge a new and great future for our nations, to strive for excellence and originality in a time when both are much more stubborn to obtain than they would have been in years past. Take up that gauntlet, if you would be a writer.

Edited by stuthehistoryguy (Fri Apr 10 2009 04:33 PM)

#466338 - Fri Apr 10 2009 06:36 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
jmorrow Offline
Prolific

Loc: Singapore
Great post, Stu! I could almost hear music playing in the background as I read it

You've inspired me - I think I'll try my hand at writing a quiz for a restricted category.

#466339 - Fri Apr 10 2009 07:47 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
agony Offline

Administrator

Yes, it was "Pomp and Circumstance", wasn't it?

#466340 - Fri Apr 10 2009 10:31 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
jmorrow Offline
Prolific

Loc: Singapore
You heard it too?

#466341 - Sat Apr 11 2009 05:58 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

The great, formative questions - such as "What is Ross' job on Friends?" or "Who played bass for the Beatles?" - have long since been asked.

Well, my Beatles quiz didn't quite say that... I had better submit before I find that particular category closed!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

#466342 - Sat Apr 11 2009 06:05 PM Re: Full Quiz categories
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Quote:

Quote:

The great, formative questions - such as "What is Ross' job on Friends?" or "Who played bass for the Beatles?" - have long since been asked.

Well, my Beatles quiz didn't quite say that... I had better submit before I find that particular category closed!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

One thing: I always play all the quizzes similar to mine before submitting to avoid redundancy. Highly recommended.

#466343 - Sun Apr 12 2009 06:58 AM Re: Full Quiz categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

One thing: I always play all the quizzes similar to mine before submitting to avoid redundancy. Highly recommended.

All right. I'm not too worried about getting duplicate questions, but I'll check just in case!

Moderator:  agony