Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#466463 - Sat Apr 11 2009 04:06 PM Queue Etiquette
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
What do people think...
If one has discussed a quiz with an editor before writing it - advice on where to put it, if it will work etc etc, is it then ok to send a note to that editor letting them know it's been submitted to the queue, once it's been written?
Would be a good idea, so that "the" editor who knows what it's about/doing where it is etc can look out for it, or would it be seen as "queue jumping" in a "look at my quiz, look at it NOW" way?
Or if a different editor sends it back for corrections (please no! lol) is it ok to tell them that another editor was consulted and ask for it to be left for them?
Thoughts anyone?

#466464 - Sat Apr 11 2009 05:56 PM Re: Queue Etiquette
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
I am curious about this as well. Also, what about if your quiz has been in the queue for a long time? Like, say 6 days (when the max is about 7 or 8)? Do you say something? What about if the editor has already looked at your quiz, and it's been that long since you've resubmitted?

#466465 - Sat Apr 11 2009 06:12 PM Re: Queue Etiquette
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
I don't think there is a maximum time, once it's in the queue you just have to be patient (easier said than done lol). I don't know about the resubmitting bit, I've always found the editor who sent the corrections has been back to check the corrected quiz pretty quickly.
We're not helping each other, but at least we're conversing buni lol.

#466466 - Sat Apr 11 2009 06:22 PM Re: Queue Etiquette
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Don't know if I'm much help because I don't know the answer but just a suggestion.

Maybe you could send the editor you consulted with a note just before you submit it Rowena - saying thanks for your help and I'm just about to submit it and just phrase it honestly like you just did here, saying you're not trying to queue jump or anything but is it appropriate to ask them to be the one to edit it - I think they can 'mark' a quiz (like they do when they've senrt one for corrections) as one they're going to look at without it getting advantage.

However I'm not an editor or don't have that much knowldege.

Funny - I wouldn't send a note unless it's been in queue a fair bit of time over what you could reasonably expect for that catagory. The times are only an average and remember it is Eastertime so the editors might be busy with other things in their life at the moment.

#466467 - Sat Apr 11 2009 06:29 PM Re: Queue Etiquette
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
I wouldn't send a note under the circumstances you outline, Rowena. The queue is in front of the editor all the time--they know your quiz is there.

I have sent messages when my quizzes were taking an awfully long time under conditions where that wouldn't normally be the case. However, the content of those messages is just to ask if I can clarify anything that they may be mulling over, as some of my quizzed tend to go right up to the line of what is appropriate. Even these notes probably aren't real helpful, though, and I probably shouldn't send them.

#466468 - Sat Apr 11 2009 07:16 PM Re: Queue Etiquette
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
If your quiz has been in the queue for what you feel is a very long time, first thing to do is to check that it actually was submitted. I can't tell you how many "My quiz has been waiting two months" letters I've gotten, about quizzes that were never resubmitted. When you go to the "my quizzes, edit" page, you can see the quiz status. If it has been submitted, please don't send a note. We'll get to it when we can - it won't be forgotten.

As for the first question. Personally, I appreciate a heads up so I can look out for it, if there has been quite a bit of discussion. If, say, we had decided to have a go at a quiz in a closed category, and the author had sent sample questions to me already. If the discussion was just something like "Can I write a 20 question quiz in this category?" or something else fairly minor, I wouldn't think a note would be appropriate. We are getting to your quizzes as fast as we can, and if it's in the queue, it will get looked at.

#466469 - Sun Apr 12 2009 02:51 AM Re: Queue Etiquette
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
It really isn't necessary to send a note to the editors. They'll see your quiz in the queue. I can't speak for all categories but in Literature, where I edit, the editors do not take over editing a quiz that another editor has started unless there is a good reason - for example, if the original editor is sick, or has computer problems, or requests it.

However, we will take over a quiz if we see it has been in the queue for an unreasonably long time.

I would like to support what agony said about resubmissions. There have been many times when a quiz-maker has assumed that their quiz has been resubmitted when it hasn't. The process isn't automatic. Editing your quiz while it is in the queue will also affect its position in the queue.

#466470 - Sun Apr 12 2009 04:39 AM Re: Queue Etiquette
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
"will also affect its position in the queue."

As in dropped back to the end?

#466471 - Sun Apr 12 2009 07:03 AM Re: Queue Etiquette
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
[quote["will also affect its position in the queue."