Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#468325 - Wed Apr 22 2009 10:18 AM Re: Profanity
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Quote:

The first time I came to this forum was when an answer at Ask became quite complicated and McGruff suggested bringing it here. It was about an Old Testament law against plowing with an ox and an [censored] together. The system wouldn't accept the word "[censored]," and a moderator asked what my intentions were. I thought that was pretty strict control, but was glad nobody could "cuss" in public.

Interesting story about profanity on the site, especially since one of the moderators has a username with "Damn" in it. My kids like to look at the usernames and the icons that each of us has, and that one always makes me feel weird! I usually scroll by it very quickly.

#468326 - Wed Apr 22 2009 10:29 AM Re: Profanity
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

Interesting story about profanity on the site, especially since one of the moderators has a username with "Damn" in it.

I'm not aware of any moderator with a username like that. Who is it?

#468327 - Wed Apr 22 2009 10:41 AM Re: Profanity
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:

one of the moderators has a username with "Damn" in it

Do you mean damnsuicidalroos? If so, he is a gold member, but not a moderator.

#468328 - Wed Apr 22 2009 10:42 AM Re: Profanity
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
We have a member with damn in his name, there is a story behind the name. However that member is at this moment in time in hospital recovering from major surgery, we sincerely hope, so we will not go into the rights or wrongs of his username. He registered in early 2003, whether he would be permitted to register now with that name, I am not sure.

#468329 - Wed Apr 22 2009 11:05 AM Re: Profanity
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Quote:

It is pretty safe to say that if you even have to consider whether a word might not be acceptable then it probably isn't.

I usually think about (while quiz writing anyway, I don't always choose my words so carefully on here or the chat boards and other places), if it would be acceptable in a movie rated PG, then it should probably be okay to use here. Kids are allowed on the site, but are supposed to visit with parental guidance. Even if all the words that are objectionable to anyone are banned and/or removed there are still some more 'mature' topics that exist in quizzes that would require parental guidance.

#468330 - Wed Apr 22 2009 02:23 PM Re: Profanity
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Usually the words can be avoided though, I've learned, even if it makes the question not as special to you. For example, in my second quiz here, I used a quote from a film that had the word "bloody" in it in a context that did not mean "physically covered with blood". I learned from the editor (poor editor... that quiz had a lot of errors) that there are PLENTY of quotes in a movie, that I could replace it with, because in some countries, that word is offensive. I did change it, obviously.

I am going through a tough time with one quiz of mine though. There is a lyric that says "I'm going to be driven as 'heck'", we'll just say. I love that line of the song, but know that according to the profanity guidelines, I can't put it in there. So ultimately, you do have to sacrifice sometimes when not putting it in there, but you wind up winning when you don't get a correction notice/green screen and you get good ratings.

Sorry for my ramblings, if they made any sense.

Edited by funnybuni (Wed Apr 22 2009 02:23 PM)

#468331 - Wed Apr 22 2009 02:40 PM Re: Profanity
guitargoddess Offline

It can be avoided, yeah and should be in most cases. But if the point of your quiz was, say, "Famous Exit Words in Movies", then I don't think that "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" is unacceptable. I mean, rules are rules, and if I were to write a quiz of that nature and be asked to find a new quote, then I would. It's not worth arguing over, if asked to change, but personally I don't think it is unncessary profanity in that category, and really before reading a thread like this I might not even have thought twice about putting that quote in a quiz like that.

#468332 - Wed Apr 22 2009 03:06 PM Re: Profanity
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
The trouble is, software filters of the sort used on site will always annoy, if only mildly. We were once having a discussion about clever pets and I had to spell out Dee You Emm Bee (as 'there is no such thing as a "censored" animal'). And there is a town in South Yorkshire that will not get through ...this is of course, a slight swerve from the subject - and annoying in iteslf, perhaps?

#468333 - Wed Apr 22 2009 03:36 PM Re: Profanity
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
I came across a question once that had "wankertank" as an answer. I wasn't offended but was rather surprised, calling someone the word that rhymes with banker is definitely not considered polite. The biblical term for donkey is pretty mild. I'm even more surprised that people would object to a quote from a 60 year old film, taken in context.

Min, I think there is imported nannyware on the boards that prevents things like bmud and Darles Chickens from being accepted, I suppose the idea is to stop mudslinging on the chatboards.

An editor once asked me to remove the name of a fairly well-known Bond Girl from a quiz, not because she objected but because she thought other people might. She was probably right. I can remember someone complaining on the chatboards or forums once that a quiz had words like 'penis' and 'vagina' in it as they thought they were rude words. Pretty difficult to do a quiz on reproduction without them!

#468334 - Wed Apr 22 2009 03:48 PM Re: Profanity
guitargoddess Offline

Someone once complained about an avatar that I used to use on this site, and an admin sent me a note asking me to change it. I wasn't surprised, I had thought that it would be an unacceptable avatar myself, so had no problem removing it, but I had found it in the list of available (non-custom) avatars on the edit profile page, so I thought it'd maybe be alright. I told that to the admin who asked me to change it and he said he'd pass it along to Terry, but to this day I still see other people using that avatar, and apparently no one has complained about them.

#468335 - Wed Apr 22 2009 04:05 PM Re: Profanity
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
Yes, Sal - I had to remove aforementioned Bond character in connection with Mrs. Slocomb's pet. To the Pure in Heart, all things are pure!

#468336 - Wed Apr 22 2009 04:14 PM Re: Profanity
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
That's the one Min!

Which one GG? Enquiring minds need to know!

#468337 - Wed Apr 22 2009 04:31 PM Re: Profanity
Markboynz Offline
Explorer

Loc: Auckland NZ
Surely it's the Bond girl from Goldfinger?

If it's any of the others, I think it would be a step far too far.

Having said that, I think that that is a step far too far, personally. The way I see it, if you are doing a quiz which could have a question about Goldfinger in it, then you can't complain that you are offended by a character name from the film...

Hmmmmm - this makes me want to start another thread on censorship vs classification...

#468338 - Wed Apr 22 2009 04:37 PM Re: Profanity
darksplash Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tyrone
Northern Ireland UK 
I suppose this is not the time to say I snuck the d word into a quiz.

There are words - such as the d word - that us Brits do not mind but which our transatlantic colonists seem to object to.

Sometimes it is the context that is the problem - such as the way the aforementioned Ms Galore's first name is used.

Using that word for Mrs Slocomb's cat causes problems - but would it cause a problem if Captain Peacock had a feline pet?

#468339 - Wed Apr 22 2009 04:44 PM Re: Profanity
Markboynz Offline
Explorer

Loc: Auckland NZ
Quote:

our transatlantic colonists

colonists/colonies?

And yes, I can say that, because I'm from the colonies too ;-)

Edited by Markboynz (Wed Apr 22 2009 04:45 PM)

#468340 - Wed Apr 22 2009 04:49 PM Re: Profanity
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

Which one GG? Enquiring minds need to know!

The avatar of an M&M smoking a joint.

#468341 - Wed Apr 22 2009 04:51 PM Re: Profanity
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
My rule of thumb is if you can't use a better/nicer word, use it. Otherwise, you're likely just using the word for shock value.

Also, you can use the 'would I say this to/in the presence of a child?" rule.

Editor for Television Category

#468342 - Wed Apr 22 2009 08:41 PM Re: Profanity
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Does context count for anything? I once used a mild swear word (one that has been listed in this thread numerous times) in the interesting information about a quiz about a film that is rated R. It got rejected. Honestly, that was by far the best expression for the idea. The substituted language is very bland and unexciting. Pity.

#468343 - Wed Apr 22 2009 08:53 PM Re: Profanity
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

Does context count for anything? I once used a mild swear word (one that has been listed in this thread numerous times) in the interesting information about a quiz about a film that is rated R. It got rejected. Honestly, that was by far the best expression for the idea. The substituted language is very bland and unexciting. Pity.

I agree, it is a pity sometimes. I've to change entire questions because of unavoidable questionable material, and ended up with some boring "filler" questions.

I've also had some ideas for good quizzes that as a whole may be questionable. And using the theory of 'if you have to question it, it's probably unacceptable', I haven't made them. In one case it would have been a thematic fun quiz. Each individual question that I'd thought of would be totally fine, it was the theme tying them together that I questioned. I don't want to get a reputation as a boundary pusher, lol

#468344 - Wed Apr 22 2009 11:09 PM Re: Profanity
queproblema Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kenny Lake Alaska USA     
Regarding swearing in general, my 9th-grade civics teacher taught us it showed either a lack of courtesy or of an adequate vocabulary. I know this premise isn't strictly true, but I like it. Wordsmiths who choose to wither an opponent to scorn are quite capable of doing so without recourse to four-letter words. Molly Ivins, R.I.P., was a skillful writer who often punctuated her columns with words I judged uncomely, but not due to a limited vocabulary and not always to be rude. Just to be adamant. And terse. Like Hemingway. I know how to do that, but prefer not to. (Sure did get a kick out of her columns, though!)

Please bear with me as I share a short letter I very recently sent to my 19-yr.-old son upon reflecting on his call to let me know he'd returned safely home to Anchorage after a wearying flight. My reason for sharing it here isn't to moralize, although that certainly was the reason I sent it to him! This isn't the place for moralizing, and the reason I'm posting it isn't to preach at anyone or persuade you of my viewpoint, but to express what my viewpoint is. Today many truly "nice" people use words never heard in my home, but there may be a sizable minority of old fuddy-duddies such as I who still wince at them.

Forthwith:

Dear John,

You were tired when you called me on your way home from the airport, and may or may not have realized how you were talking.

Please don't mistake "being one of the guys" with "being a man." I don't know if you're deliberately choosing to swear to be one of the guys, or if it's something you've unconsciously picked up. Even though most--or many, I'm not sure--U.S. Presidents have used bad language, at least since Truman, it's never been acceptable in public. The trouble with doing it in private while watching yourself in public is when what you thought was private turns out to be public. Vice President Cheney caused a small scandal when he privately told Sen. Leahy on the floor of the Senate Chamber to go [censored] himself; Pres. Bush likewise set off an uproar when a mike he thought was off magnified his private comment, "Uh-oh--here comes that [censored]." Not OK. Or Pres. Nixon's infamous [Expletive deleted.] time after time after time on the Watergate tapes transcripts.

Being a man has nothing to do with the kind of swearing called "cussing," but all to do with the kind of swearing called "telling the truth." It's about being so trustworthy "your word is your bond," to use an old saying. In other words, if John said it, well, he could be mistaken (Yes, believe it or not!) but he couldn't be lying. And if he said he'll take care of it, he'll take care of it. That's being a man.

It's being courteous, not to be confused with being fussy or prim, and magnanimous, though not ingenuous.

Being a man is being responsible and reliable, not just in work ethics but in not blaming other people for your own faults, choices, and actions...and even covering for theirs when necessary. It's being courageous in the face of danger or temptation.

I know you have all these qualities; cultivate them.

Love,
Mom

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  agony