Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#469381 - Mon Apr 27 2009 11:10 PM Closed Categories
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western�Austral...
This is my first time in the discussion forum and i'm not sure if this should be a new post or be added to another post on a similar subject (yes, i have done a thorough search and cant come up with the anwer i am looking for).
If someone could clarify, it would be appreciated

i understand why some categories are closed to new submissions esp when they are chock-full of quizes asking the same questions.

silly me decided to write a quiz for a much loved category and it got rejected becuase it was a closed category (i should really have checked first - i admit that ). i am ok with that in principle but there are 16 quizes in that particular category and i have completed each one. i found them to be quite vague, boring, simple and repetitive. i made a quiz that included more detail in the questions and 'interesting info' and was not repetitive at all. i was actually quite proud of my effort

now, i dont want people to reply to this and tell me i should have checked that it was not a restricted category first because i realise that.

what i would like to know is:
a)why was that category closed in the first place?
b)is there any time a category can be 're-opened'?
c)is there someone (like an editor in that category) that i should be chatting to about this?

Thanks

#469382 - Mon Apr 27 2009 11:16 PM Re: Closed Categories
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Your best bet is to ask someone in the category about the quiz and suggest your approach to the topic. Stuff like that can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, and if you're right in what you said about not repeating questions, etc. then it's up to the editor in that category to determine whether or not it's allowable.

Some categories do reopen based on certain reasons, but it is very rare. Often, many editors will opt to restrict a category instead.

#469383 - Mon Apr 27 2009 11:26 PM Re: Closed Categories
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Thanks for that.
i think i might send a message to the editor who rejected the quiz and ask him for more info.
i just didnt want to seem like i was getting on my 'high horse'.

#469384 - Tue Apr 28 2009 10:40 AM Re: Closed Categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Lones, there are several categories like that. The "Harry Potter" books category, for example, is closed and with good reason. They simply have half of the site's worth of quizzes on there (slight exaggeration, perhaps). It would be practically impossible to come up with something both unique and in the guidelines there.

However, the category for the band Simple Plan was closed for awhile, but it's open again now. So it does happen. Put a bug in a editor's ear who works in that category.

#469385 - Tue Apr 28 2009 10:44 AM Re: Closed Categories
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa OntarioCanada
Some of the band categories are a little different though. They get closed because if the band only has one CD, there are really only so many quizzes and questions that can be written about it. But if the category has then been closed, and the band released a new CD, then it makes sense to open it up to a quiz all about the new CD.

I would imagine if there were to be another Harry Potter book written, then quiz submissions would be allowed, pertaining to that book.

#469386 - Tue Apr 28 2009 01:17 PM Re: Closed Categories
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool DurhamEnglandUK
That's right GG, iirc the Harry Potter categories were closed and then opened up when Book 7 was published.

#469387 - Tue Apr 28 2009 05:20 PM Re: Closed Categories
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
For television, I don't believe we have any subcategories that are closed, but we do have many that are restricted. This means you need to have a certain number of quizzes online and have to have a certain level of quality. We do this to encourage authors to write on other topics because we already have many quizzes on the show.

Editor for Television Category

#469388 - Tue Apr 28 2009 05:31 PM Re: Closed Categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

That's right GG, iirc the Harry Potter categories were closed and then opened up when Book 7 was published.

That was a subject that I knew right off the bat was closed. And seeing is how there shouldn't be another book, it was the best example, I think.

But questions about bands, it is true. Some might be one-hit wonders, and it needs to be closed.

#469389 - Tue Apr 28 2009 05:31 PM Re: Closed Categories
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

For television, I don't believe we have any subcategories that are closed, but we do have many that are restricted. This means you need to have a certain number of quizzes online and have to have a certain level of quality. We do this to encourage authors to write on other topics because we already have many quizzes on the show.

Well there are many subcategories within subcategories that are closed, no? Like the main Friends category is restricted, but Friends Mixture subcategories within it are closed.

#469390 - Tue Apr 28 2009 06:51 PM Re: Closed Categories
ladymacb29 Offline

Quote:

Well there are many subcategories within subcategories that are closed, no? Like the main Friends category is restricted, but Friends Mixture subcategories within it are closed.

The ones with the difficulty ratings are because you don't know if your quiz will be easy or hard. The main Friends Mixture subcategory is open for submissions.

#469391 - Tue Apr 28 2009 07:12 PM Re: Closed Categories
Forum Champion

'LOST' - Season 1 is also closed.

#469392 - Tue Apr 28 2009 07:48 PM Re: Closed Categories
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

Quote:

The ones with the difficulty ratings are because you don't know if your quiz will be easy or hard. The main Friends Mixture subcategory is open for submissions.

Ah, that makes sense!

#469393 - Wed Apr 29 2009 01:54 AM Re: Closed Categories
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

thanks for all the feedback.

the category i was trying to get my quiz into was a sub category under sports:mixed sports.

i know there comes a time when some categories have to be closed because you end up doing umpteen quizes with similar questions. and as far as i am concerned, if a question is similar to another one, it's really the same (if that makes sense).

i suppose the category was closed because all the current quizes are similar and maybe the editors thought nobody could come up with some new questions in that area?

oh well, i shall keep my eyes peeled in case it ever opens again. i have saved my quiz on my computer in case maybe someone gets to do it one day *sigh*

i also asked the editor who originally looked at my quiz and apparently closed categories are closed and that's it.

i shall just have to wait for some inspiration to hit me in another area that doesnt have a closed or restricted category

#469394 - Wed Apr 29 2009 02:14 AM Re: Closed Categories
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Could you maybe fiddle with it a bit and use the information you have to do something in Thematic Fun Lones? It would be a different approach, but perhaps some of your interesting info from the sports Qs would lend itself to making a themed quiz of some kind...just a thought since you've done the "spade work" already.

#469395 - Wed Apr 29 2009 09:08 AM Re: Closed Categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

i also asked the editor who originally looked at my quiz and apparently closed categories are closed and that's it.

That's disappointing. Did the editor know that all of your questions were completely original?

Quote:

Could you maybe fiddle with it a bit and use the information you have to do something in Thematic Fun Lones? It would be a different approach, but perhaps some of your interesting info from the sports Qs would lend itself to making a themed quiz of some kind...just a thought since you've done the "spade work" already.

That's a brill idea. Just adjust it some and stick it in another category.

#469396 - Wed Apr 29 2009 09:39 AM Re: Closed Categories
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Well it needs adjusting to make it acceptable lol, not just a respray - at least file the serial numbers off But with all the info there to hand, it should be possible to find an interesting theme somewhere and turn it into a good quiz in another place. Especially if none of the original Qs were in any of the sport quizzes already online. That gets round one possible problem straight away.

#469397 - Wed Apr 29 2009 03:51 PM Re: Closed Categories
ladymacb29 Offline

Quote:

That's disappointing. Did the editor know that all of your questions were completely original?

For me in TV, if it's closed it's closed. It doesn't matter if you have a new original idea, it's closed. I don't want to penalize people who read the rules and didn't bother to create a new quiz in the closed subcategory.

If I'm looking for simply original quizzes in a subcategory, I won't close it and will simply make it restricted. That way we'll still get the original quizzes and not repetitive ones without asking authors to ask if we can go against what (to me at least) are very clear rules that we are not accepting any new submissions. (Please note this only applies to the television category.)

Edited by ladymacb29 (Wed Apr 29 2009 03:52 PM)

#469398 - Wed Apr 29 2009 05:14 PM Re: Closed Categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Basically, be sure you have time to possibly waste, make a list of ten questions that are super unique, ask an editor and if they say "yes", you can fill out the rest. If they say "no", well, C'est la vie.

#469399 - Wed Apr 29 2009 05:23 PM Re: Closed Categories
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

For me in TV, if it's closed it's closed. It doesn't matter if you have a new original idea, it's closed.

Thanks ladymacb. This is what was explained to the author in DM. I was wondering why the author even posted here, even after getting with the editor, and then the editor replying to them again. Whichever, but the biggest issue here, and a huge thorn with a lot of staff members is, why are non-staff members who are not qualified to 'provide remedies' or give suggestions, do that? One would think that only staff members should reply to these types of questions asked. This way, the member who asked the question is not being led astray by poor or misunderstood information. The staff members have the entire picture with everything in the site, i.e., changing requirements, subcat re-alignments, the 'inside' to each author and each quiz, and actually know what the "real story" is behind an author's post. Nobody else has these. Why would anyone reply if they don't have the proper change for a dollar? They're not helping.

#469400 - Wed Apr 29 2009 06:01 PM Re: Closed Categories
Forum Champion

Quote:

Basically, be sure you have time to possibly waste, make a list of ten questions that are super unique, ask an editor and if they say "yes", you can fill out the rest. If they say "no", well, C'est la vie.

I wouldn't say that. You make it sound like it's an utter shot in the dark. Talk to the editor with your idea beforehand and that way you don't go through all the hard work if it's not accepted.

#469401 - Wed Apr 29 2009 06:19 PM Re: Closed Categories
ladymacb29 Offline

Quote:

Well, yes - except now you've wasted your time and the editor's time looking at your quiz, seeing it's closed or restricted and you're not eligible to create a quiz in that subcategory... If you don't pay attention to those rules that are quite clear, the editor may wonder what other rules you're going to ignore.

For me, if the subcategory is restricted and you're not eligible (for example, you don't already have five quizzes online), don't bother asking - I won't change my answer just because you asked as it's not fair to others.

Edited by ladymacb29 (Wed Apr 29 2009 06:21 PM)

#469402 - Wed Apr 29 2009 06:31 PM Re: Closed Categories
guitargoddess Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Well, yes - except now you've wasted your time and the editor's time looking at your quiz, seeing it's closed or restricted and you're not eligible to create a quiz in that subcategory... If you don't pay attention to those rules that are quite clear, the editor may wonder what other rules you're going to ignore.

Would you have the same thought if the person didn't just submit a quiz to see what you would say, but rather sent you a note explaining their idea? It's, of course, still your prerogative to say no, but is there harm in asking?

edited to clarify... I mean in the case of if it were a reasonably experienced author wanting to write for a closed category, if there were some, not someone who is still ineligible to create restricted quizzes.

Edited by guitargoddess (Wed Apr 29 2009 06:34 PM)

#469403 - Wed Apr 29 2009 06:58 PM Re: Closed Categories
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

The quiz in question that started this all, the author was messaged when they first began their quiz and was incomplete, to notify them that the particular category was closed. This was done to save them time for researching whatever future questions. Instead, the quiz was finished and submitted anyway. The author never asked, but it was explained the why's and what's about the quiz. But on the other hand, non-staff members didn't know any of this, or the in's and out's of the author or quiz, but decided to provide suggestions to the author anyway. I just don't understand why they would do this.
Editors get questions all the time about "Whaddya think" about creating certain quizzes from authors. The editors work with them to help them construct a proper quiz in a proper category. This is great, but again, that wasn't the issue. It is not my intent to debate, upset anyone, or point a finger, but this overall scenerio of non-qualified posts are a major heartburn to some. I only hope to bring a realization to those who do post, to be "in the loop" and know the whole story before posting and trying to provide suggestions. It only creates more issues for editors to resolve factually. :-)

#469404 - Wed Apr 29 2009 06:58 PM Re: Closed Categories
funnybuni Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

n. Whichever, but the biggest issue here, and a huge thorn with a lot of staff members is, why are non-staff members who are not qualified to 'provide remedies' or give suggestions, do that?

This is me trying to understand things. Pretty much nothing more.

Quote:

I meant to add to just ask them in the first place, with the sample questions on hand in case they ask to see some. Sorry if that wasn't clear (looking back, it wasn't).

Though honestly, there are so few categories that are closed (in comparison), and only one or two that I'd ever dream of writing in (and I imagine they will open up again - no, it's not Harry Potter, FYI). I have a inquisitive mind that likes to know how things work way too much, and it tends to clog up this forum.

#469405 - Wed Apr 29 2009 07:12 PM Re: Closed Categories
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

I give up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  agony