Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#470292 - Fri May 01 2009 07:03 AM May 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Gatsby722
[for the month of May while denni19 is on holiday ]
Wednesdays - JaneMarple
Thursdays - Deepakmr
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

#470293 - Fri May 01 2009 07:26 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
*** I moved this to the "May Rounds" and fixed the link - hope it's OK with you.
I also named it "Round 1".

I apologize for forgetting to say that:

Quote:

Answers to this round should be sent to SZABS

Round 1 - Friday

This round is dedicated to the 2nd of May.

1. The Second of May 1808, also known as The Charge of the Mamelukes, is a painting by the Spanish master Francisco de Goya. The painting depicts the beginning of the uprising when the elite Mamelukes of the French Imperial Guard are ordered to charge and subdue the rioting citizens. The crowd sees the Mamelukes as Moors, provoking an angry response. Instead of dispersing, the crowd turned on the charging Mamelukes, resulting in a ferocious free for all battle. Please give me the name of a painting painted by Goya between 1800 and 1809.

2. Good Housekeeping is a well known woman’s magazine founded on the 2nd of May , 1885 by Clark W. Bryan in Holyoke, Massachusetts. In 1911, it was bought by the Hearst Corporation. The magazine is also famous for the the Good Housekeeping Seal, which is a limited warranty to consumers which promises replacement or refund if the product is defective, "Consumers know that only products that have passed the tests and evaluations of the Good Housekeeping Institute are eligible to earn the Seal. Beyond the policies of manufacturers and retailers, consumers are reassured that they will get the product performance that they expect or Good Housekeeping will right the situation". From this Site, please give me the name of a food or beverage that has earned the Good Houskeeping Seal.

3 On the 2nd May 1952 : The worlds first commercial Jet Airliner a De Havilland Comet owned by BOAC with 36 passengers on board took off from London for Johannesburg. The Comet flew about 50% faster than advanced piston-engined types like the Douglas DC-6, and its rate of climb was also far higher, which could cut flight times in half. The Ghost engine was smooth, relatively simple, fuel-efficient, little vibration, and enabled the plane to fly above weather conditions, while the competition had to fly through it. 30,000 passengers were carried during the first year of service and over 50 Comets were ordered. From the wiki page, please give me the name of a “Civilian” airline that used the Comet, which starts with any letter from A to E.

4. Although accounts of Scotland's Loch Ness date back 1,500 years, the modern legend of the Loch Ness Monster is born when a sighting makes local news on 2 May 1933. Since then a succession of investigators have employed devices from sonar to underwater video trying to find definitive proof of the Loch Ness Monster's existence. Loren Coleman, a prolific writer in the realm of cryptozoology & Patrick Huyghe have written a book called "The Field Guide to Lake Monsters, Sea Serpents, and Other Mystery Denizens of the Deep the book is an attempt to develop a classification system for cryptic and relict water "monsters." From the table of contents of the book, please give me a chapter in the Introduction part.

5. Cyclone Nargis was a strong tropical cyclone that caused the worst natural disaster in the recorded history of Burma (Myanmar)] The cyclone made landfall in the country on May 2, 2008, causing catastrophic destruction with at least 146,000 fatalities recorded and thousands more people still missing. Although the Burmese government's official death toll was grossly underreported as they had simply stopped counting the dead to minimize political fallout. International relief agencies feared that there was a total of one million people which had or would have died from this catastrophe.Could you please give me the name of a country which starts with the letters A-D, who sent some kind of international contribution according to the wiki page.

This round will end on Wednesday 6th of May, if you have any queries just pm me, in the meantime have a great weekend .

Edited by denni19 (Sat May 02 2009 07:12 AM)

#470294 - Sat May 02 2009 02:02 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 2 - Saturday 2nd May

Only Q4 has anything to do with May 2nd, but that question's happy being muscled out of 2nd of May and inhabit the 3rd, as the question covers two days anyway. My other questions aren't too worried that they've been usurped by Szabs, as this round as no theme.

1. My Great Uncle worked on two tea estates in Ceylon (both owned by the same company) the first one of these was was Labookellie, owned by Mackwoods. In 1956 it became the first British establishment ever to be owned by a Sri Lankan.
Please give me any flavour of Mackwoods flavoured teas

2. Philip I of France had what was then an unusual name. His mother, Anne, was from Kiev and gave her son a deriviative of the Greek "Philippos", meaning "lover of horses". Anne of Kiev is credited with bringing the name to western Europe. Phillip was only 7 when he became King, and Anne of Kiev was regent until Philip was 14. Please name any famous person called "Philip".

3. Olestra is a fat Substitute. As our bodies can't metabolise it, so it went in one end and out the other, which was why it failed as in the food business. It also takes some vitamins from the body, which was why it had to be heavily fortified with vitamins. Frito-Lay introduced a Potato Crisp with with Olestra in 1998 (In America, it never reached us here in Britain). This was called Lay's Wow, but it has been rebranded as Light, after the problems were eliminated. Please name any flavour of LAY'S® Kettle Cooked Potato Chips

4. Hanry VIII became King 500 years (and 10 days) ago, so Rick Wakeman is playing his "Six Wives of Henry VIII" this week-end for the first time in its entirety, in the open air at Hampton court (and probably won't do so again). The album has sold 15 million copies. Please name any album by Rick Wakeman, as a solo artist.

5. Now I've mentioned Henry VIII's wives, I had thought you might name them, but then I thought - nay it's too easy. Please name one of the parents of Henry VIII's wives.

Round Closed at Noon Theusday (FT time).

Edited by Mugaboo (Sat May 02 2009 04:25 AM)

#470295 - Sat May 02 2009 02:45 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
JUST A QUICK NOTE ABOUT Round 1: Because I made a mistake by posting the round in April, Denni has kindly moved it to May, the only problem is that it looks like it is her round. Answers to this round should be sent to me Szabs, unfortunately I cannot edit it to correct the problem. Sorry about the confusion.

#470296 - Mon May 04 2009 10:43 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday May 4 – Quiz

The Darling Buds of May

1) Englishman, H. E. Bates (1905 – 1974) was a prolific author whose stories were mainly about life in rural England. He wrote “The Darling Buds of May”. The title was taken from Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18. From Sonnet 18, locate the line that contains the words “the darling buds of May” and please give me ANY word that appears in the lines that come either BEFORE –or- AFTER that line.To clarify: If the line containing the words "the darling buds of May" is line 18, then pick any word from either line 17 or line 19.

2) The British TV series “The Darling Buds of May” ran from 1991 to 1993. It is based on H. E. Bates’s book of the same title and is about the lives of the Larkin family in rural Kent. H.E. Bates wrote a total of 5 books about the Larkin family. Pa Larkin, a good-natured, generous, easy-going farmer, Ma, his wife although they were not officially married, a woman of similar temperament, who loved nothing more than to cook and feed her family and their friends. I watched the show during its first run and what I remember most clearly was the constant eating, the constant sunshine (there were a lot of outdoor meals) and Ma and Pa Larkin being constantly cheery. Please give me an episode title of the TV series, just the title, ignoring whether it is part 1 or part 2. There are 11 possible answers.

3) The TV series launched the career of Catherine Zeta-Jones who played the part of the eldest daughter, Mariette Larkin. In November 2000, Ms. Zeta-Jones married into a famous acting clan headed by patriarch Kirk. Please give me the first name of any of Kirk’s children –or- grandchildren.

4) “The Phrase Finder” is a website that provides the meanings and origins of various phrases, including “the darling buds of May” if you wish to look it up. From the site, please give me a phrase that begins with the letters “MA”.

5) The month of May is apparently chock-a-block of holidays according to this site. Not just any old holidays mind you, but bizarre ones. Since this round will be open from May 4 to May 10, please give me the name of any holiday, per the site, in that period of time. There are 10 possible answers.

Yay! Managed to get this round out on the Monday itself. This round will close on Sunday 10 May at noon FT time. Please PM for help if needed. Gentle Monday everyone.

Edited to amend no. of possible answers available for Q5. Thanks to Maninmidohio for spotting my error.

Edited to clarify Q1's requirement. My phrasing of the question is just way too confusing. Apologies to everyone.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Thu May 07 2009 08:48 AM)

#470297 - Tue May 05 2009 07:30 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 5 ~ Tuesday

Well, this oughta be a fun throwback! It feels like I haven't come up with one of these since George Bush was in office. I'm rusty, so bear with me as I go. Today's theme is The Kentucky Derby (in Louisville), which was a highlight last weekend here in the States. It was a notably exciting 'Run for the Roses', too !

1. The official bluegrass song of Kentucky is "Blue Moon of Kentucky", a waltz written in 1946 by Bill Monroe and recorded by his band, The Blue Grass Boys. Naturally, over the course of sixty years the song has been covered by a gadzillion (or so) artists, all the way from Elvis Presley to Paul McCartney - but Monroe's original ditty was notably short, nicely simple and not even a little overburdened with lyrics ~ yet was still considered excellent enough to be listed at #11 on Country Music Television's *100 Greatest Songs* just a few years ago. To start, please pick a word out of the lyrics of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - using Bill Monroe's version ONLY - that has the letter *I* in it.

2. On a personal note, I've alwas had a slight peeve when it comes to Louisville, Kentucky. You see, I grew up in a place called Louisville, Ohio - except unlike the large city in Kentucky (pronounced Loo-WEE-Ville), my wee town was pronounced Loo-WISS-Ville. Almost everyone, though, who saw it written down attached to my name, would invariably say something like "Ah, a Kentucky boy, are ye?" After years of it I'd use the pat response: "No, I'm from a little town in Ohio where people are typically afraid and/or suspicious of horses and DO NOT enjoy Bourbon at all (although beer's a local favorite, as is local football over scholastics)." Small town, my Louisville. Accd.g to Wikipedia -- under 10,000 in population and sized up at only 5.2 square miles. There are seven parks in Louisville, Ohio, though. Please name one of them ...

3. (Yep ... gotta be one of these questions, I reckon ...) Did you know [or care ] that more than 10,000 "American Idol" hopefuls flocked to Louisville, Kentucky for preliminary auditions for the show's eighth season on July 21, 2008? Hmmm? Well, for what it's worth, they did. I'm not sure if any of that throng lasted too far into the competition, a contest which is now nearly over. On the television show "American Idol" (airing April 21, 2009) the Top 7 singers remaining sang their hearts out on *Disco Night*. Tell me a song any one of the 7 finalists performed (solo) that night.

4. The mint julep has been, since 1938, the traditional beverage of the Kentucky Derby. Pretty simple to make a *basic* julep, o' course (just sugar, mint leaves and a healthy load of Bourbon). Each year almost 120,000 (yikes!) mint juleps are served at Churchill Downs over the Kentucky Derby weekend. Factoid: at the 2006 Derby, Churchill Downs served custom-made juleps at a cost of $1000 each, offering them in gold-plated cups with silver straws, and making them from Woodford Reserve bourbon, mint from Ireland, ice from the Bavarian Alps, and sugar from Australia. The proceeds were used to support retired race horses! Kentuckians do like their Bourbon, indeed - I'm betting many of them own, or have at least read, "Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey" by Charles K. Cowdery, eh? Tell me the name of a chapter in that book (no product reviews) that begins with a vowel. Note: If the first word is 'The', then using the second word is acceptable, as always.

5. The Kentucky Derby had a true 'feel good' winner this year - it's always nice to see an underdog (underhorse?) pull through and win the prize, yes? Mine That Bird is one of only 8 geldings to win the Derby, the second in 50 years. A Canadian racehorse, his was the second biggest upset in Derby history with also the second widest margin of victory. Get this ! A *$2 win* wager returned $103.20! Mine That Bird had the third longest odds in the 19 horse field with only Atomic Rain (55-1) and Join in the Dance (51-1) being higher. 'Twas a truly landmark day at the races. To close, simply tell me a winner of the Kentucky Derby in any year divisible by 10 - or, I guess, any year that ends in *O*. Thank you!

I guess this'll close up on Sunday, approximately noon-ish? Y'all have a terrific week!

Oh ... and you have a lovely holiday, too, Miss denni19 !

#470298 - Wed May 06 2009 10:06 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 6th May round
Q1 A song from “West Side Story”.
Q2 A planet in the solar system
Q3 One of the seven deadly sins
Q4 Something you’d find in a Doctor’s waiting room
Q5 Something (or somebody) you associate with the USA!

It closes over the weekend

#470299 - Thu May 07 2009 06:53 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 1 Answers

5 Eagers participants took part in the the 2nd of May round.

1. The Second of May 1808, also known as The Charge of the Mamelukes, is a painting by the Spanish master Francisco de Goya. Please give me the name of a painting painted by Goya between 1800 and 1809

For 10 Points : Doña Isabel Cobos De Porcel, Portrait of the actor Isidro Marquez, La Maja Vestida
For 5 Points : Bartolome Sureda y Miserol (2)
Among Others: Countess of Chinchon, Majas on a Balcony

2. Good Housekeeping is a well known woman’s magazine founded on the 2nd of May , 1885 by Clark W. Bryan in Holyoke, Massachusetts. From this page, please give me the name of a food or beverage that has earned the Good Houskeeping Seal.

10 Points to all : Jolly Time Pop Corn, Blue Diamond Almonds, Sugar in the Raw, Sweet’N Low, Lays
Among Others: Butter Buds, Folgers Coffee, Minute Rice

3 On the 2nd May 1952 : The worlds first commercial Jet Airliner a De Havilland Comet owned by BOAC with 36 passengers on board took off from London for Johannesburg.From the wiki page please give me the name of a “Civilian” airline that used the Comet which starts with any letter from A to E.

For 10 Points : British European Airways (BEA), Dan Air, BEA Airtours
For 5 Points : East African Airways (2)
Among Others: Air France, Air Ceylon, Canadian Pacific Airlines

4. Although accounts of Scotland's Loch Ness date back 1,500 years, the modern legend of the Loch Ness Monster is born when a sighting makes local news on 2 May 1933. Loren Coleman, a prolific writer in the realm of cryptozoology & Patrick Huyghe have written a book called "The Field Guide to Lake Monsters, Sea Serpents, and Other Mystery Denizens of the Deep the book is an attempt to develop a classification system for cryptic and relict water "monsters." From the table of contents of the book, please give me a chapter in the Introduction part.

10 Points to all : Identity Crisis, The Unknown Unknown, Sea Serpent Classified, Lake Monster Recognition & Classification, The Once Unknown
Among Others: Bloop and Other Sound Evidence, The Nessie Story, Monstrous Caveats

A gold star goes out to Maninmidohio for his classiefied: Lonely male sea serpent in Loch Ness looking for female sea serpent for adventurous frolicking - I hope he finds his match soon so we can have a whole bunch of baby Nessies.

5. Cyclone Nargis was a strong tropical cyclone that caused the worst natural disaster in the recorded history of Burma (Myanmar)] The cyclone made landfall in the country on May 2, 2008, causing catastrophic destruction.Could you please give me the name of a country which starts with the letters A-D, who sent some kind of international contribution according to the wiki page

For 10 Points : Cambodia
For 5 Points : Czech Republic (2), Brunei (2)
Among Others: Australia, Bangladesh, China

Scores

We have two winners with 45 points : Deepakmr & Maninmidohio
With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby722 & Mugaboo

A hearty congratulations goes out to both winners in this round Deepak & Maninmidohio , each will receive a trivia point for the month of May. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#470300 - Thu May 07 2009 09:14 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Round 7 – Thursday

After the moderate success of the movie ‘The Da Vinci Code’, now its prequel ‘Angels and Demons’ is ready for release and once again stars Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. The author of these novels is the shy and unassuming Dan Brown, about whom this round is based.

Q1: Dan Brown, a song writer and teacher had his first novel “Digital Fortress” published in 1998. The novel is a techno-thriller and has cryptography as its main theme. Dan Brown’s official website has some bizarre facts about his novel Digital Fortress, please choose any of the bizarre facts *not* starting from the letter ‘Y’.

Q2: “Angels and Demons” was released in 2000 and first introduced the popular character Robert Langdon, a symbologist. The novel uses themes as diverse as matter-antimatter, Big Bang experiment and the election of a pope. The movie is due to be released next week (May 15th) and is expected to be as successful (if not more) as its sequel. Please go to the Wikipedia page for the Angels and Demons movie and tell me the name of any of the cast as listed in the page.

Q3 : “The Da Vinci Code” was Brown’s fourth novel released in 2003. The novel was an instant hit and became so popular that it was considered as one of the greatest novels written. The theme of the novel was highly controversial. Please go to the Wiki page for the novel “The Da Vinci Code”. Here you will find the secrets of the holy grail, please tell me any of them.(the first few words would suffice)

Q4 : “Deception Point” was Dan Brown’s third novel released in 2001. This is a science thriller with a plot revolving around the discovery of a meteorite, that proves the existence of life outside the Earth. Please tell me any word that appears in the first sentence of the prologue of the novel “Deception Point”.

Q5 : Dan Brown’s latest novel “The Lost Symbol” is due for release in September. It is believed to about the freemasons and will definitely have a few codes in it to crack. FT has a number of quizzes about the novels of Dan Brown (in the literature section), please tell me the name of a quiz that has Dan Brown’s name in its title.

The Dan Brown round will close on 12th May, Tuesday. Please do let me know if you need help with any of the questions. Enjoy the rest of the week

#470301 - Fri May 08 2009 05:02 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 2 - 5 played

1. Please give me any flavour of Mackwoods flavoured teas.
For 10 points: Blackcurrant; Lemon; Mint
For 5 points: Apple [2]
Not mentioned: Camomile; Cinnamon; Earl Grey; Mango; Strawberry

2. Please name any famous person called "Philip".
For 10 points: Philip Glass (Composer); King Philip II of Portugal; Philip Alfred Mickelson (Golfer); Philip Roth (Novelist); Philip Michael Thomas (Actor)
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Philip Pullman (Novelist); Philip Rivers (Football quaterback); Philip the Apostle

3. Please name any flavour of LAY'S® Kettle Cooked Potato Chips.
For 10 points: Original
For 5 points: Sea Salt & Vinegar [2]; Sharp Cheddar [2]
Not mentioned: Jalapeno; Maui Onion; Mesquite BBQ; Reduced Fat Original

4. Please name any album by Rick Wakeman, as a solo artist.
For 10 points: Aspirant Sunset; Rock 'N' Roll Prophet; Silent Nights; The Cost of Living; The Gospels
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: White Rock; Live at Hammersmith; Crimes of Passion; The Piano Album

5. Please name one of the parents of Henry VIII's wives.
For 10 points: Ferdinand II of Aragon; Isabella I of Castille; Maria, Duchess of Jülich-Berg
For 5 points: Joyce Culpepper [2]
Not mentioned: Sir Thomas Boleyn; Elizabeth Howard; Sir John Seymour; Margery Wentworth; John Duke of Cleves; Lord Edmund Howard; Sir Thomas Parr; Lady Maud Green

Scores:

45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Deepakmr; Szabs
40 points: Maninmidohio
35 points: Gatsby722

Three winners of this round Brandz, Deepakmr and Szabs, who as I'm sure you all know by now, get a point each towards this month's total.

#470302 - Fri May 08 2009 08:58 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 8

We are going to remain for a while as I reminisce about my idyllic college days. Hobart College is located in the Finger Lakes region of New York. This is a beautiful area of small towns and lovely lakes that has become a tourist destination of many looking to escape the urban hubbub of modern living. This will be the Finger Lakes Round.

1. An overhead view of a map of the west central area of New York reveals a series of long narrow lakes each one resembling a finger on a hand when viewed together. It would be easy to assume that these lakes were all formed by the last glacier that invaded North America, but in fact the lakes started as pre-glacial stream valleys or earlier lakes which were put into there current shape by glacial action. Although there are over a dozen lakes in this area, Wikipedia designates only seven as being the true Finger Lakes. Please, tell me the name of one of these true Finger Lakes.

2. Many of the Finger Lakes have major communities at either the northern or southern ends of them. Ithaca is one of these towns. Ithaca is the home of Cornell University, an Ivy League school and private land grant institution. The Cornell Alma Mater pays tribute to its location above one of the Finger Lakes. Please, tell me a line from one of the first two verses of the Cornell Alma Mater (but not from the chorus/refrain).

3. The Sonnenberg Gardens Mansion and State Historic Park is located in Canandaigua, NY, another of the small towns located in the area. This estate was built by New York City bank financier Frederick Ferris Thompson and his wife, Mary Clark Thompson, the daughter of New York State governor Myron Holley Clark. Following the 1899 death of her husband, Mrs. Thompson involved hundreds of workers between 1902 and 1919 in a re-design of the gardens. She was assisted primarily by Boston landscape architect Ernest Bowditch, and later, his assistant John Handrahan. The estate is now open to the public. Please tell me the name of one of the gardens at Sonnenberg (all of the gardens have the word “Garden” as part of their name).

4. The Finger Lakes region of New York is ideally suited for grape growing and the Reisling variety has been especially successful. This, of course, has lead to a healthy wine industry that is just now coming into its own on the world stage. Visit the website WinesNY.com and use their “Search Wine” facility to find a Finger Lakes Reisling that has a rating over 94.5 and yet is priced under $18 per bottle (provide vintner and wine name).

5. In 1848, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and four other women invited the public to the First Women's Rights Convention to discuss expanding the role of women in America. At the end of the two days, 100 people made a public commitment to work together to improve women’s quality of life. These events are commemorated at the Women’s Rights National Park located in Seneca Falls, NY, in the heart of the Finger Lakes area. Stanton worked tirelessly for her cause and gave many speeches in its behalf. One of the most memorable of her speeches is titled “Solitude of Self” which she presented before the Committee of the Judiciary of the United States Congress on January 18, 1892. The next to the last paragraph begins, “And yet, there is a solitude, which each and every one of us has always carried with him.” Please give me one of the phrases (sections set off by commas, periods, or semi-colons) that follow this opening in that paragraph.

That will wrap up this Finger Lakes Round. The round will close noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, May 13. I hope everyone has a great and enjoyable weekend. Just message me if you are having difficulty with any of the questions and I will be glad to help.

#470303 - Sun May 10 2009 10:21 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 5 - Tuesday
"The Kentucky Derby"
Five outstanding players !

1. To start, please pick a word out of the lyrics of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - using Bill Monroe's version ONLY - that has the letter *I* in it.

For 10 Points
Bring, Shine, Whisper
For 5 Points
Shining (2)

Bright, Tonight, I, Moonlight, Night and High would've worked, too.

2. There are seven parks in Louisville, Ohio, though. Please name one of them ...

For 10 Points
Constitution Park, Mary C. Metzger Park, Wildwood Park
For 5 Points
Gulling Park (2)

The other three are Howard E. "Peg" Wilson Park, Croston Park and Andy Aljancic Park.

3. Tell me a song any one of the 7 'American Idol' finalists performed (solo) on Disco Night.

For 10 Points
I'm Every Woman (Chaka Khan),
For 5 Points
Stayin' Alive (Bee Gees) (2), She Works Hard for the Money (Donna Summer) (2)

"September" (Earth, Wind & Fire), "Hot Stuff" (Donna Summer), "If I Can't Have You" (Yvonne Elliman) and "Dim All the Lights" (Donna Summer) also got the "Idol" treatment (good or bad as that might have turned out ...).

4. "Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey" by Charles K. Cowdery, eh? Tell me the name of a chapter in that book (no product reviews) that begins with a vowel.

For 10 Points
(The) Elephant in the Room
For 5 Points
A Good Story (2), (The) Ubiquitous Beams (2)

Other chapters that could have been used: 'Of Sex and Shellfish', 'And Let's Not Forget', '(The) Elusive Renaissance', '(The) American Whiskey Sampling Guide', 'Even the River Was Burning' and 'Old Bernheim and Some Other Bourbon Names You'll Never See'.

5. To close, simply tell me a winner of the Kentucky Derby in any year divisible by 10 - or, I guess, any year that ends in *O*. Thank you!

For 10 Points
Donau (1910), Riley (1890), Unbridled (1990)
For 5 Points
Middleground (1950) (2)

9 others could have been chosen on that one, starting all the way back at 1880.

The Results!

45 Points! .... szabs
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr
30 Points! .... maninmidohio
25 Points! .... Mugaboo

Well-played, everyone ~ especially szabs, who walked off with the top score this time! Great job! Thanks to all of you for joining in.

#470304 - Sun May 10 2009 12:14 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

May 4 Round – Answers

Five much-appreciated players for The Darling Buds of May round.

1) From Sonnet 18, locate the line that contains the words “the darling buds of May” and please give me ANY word that appears in the lines that come either BEFORE –or- AFTER that line. To clarify: If the line containing the words "the darling buds of May" is line 18, then pick any word from either line 17 or line 19.
For Ten Points: Art, Lease, More, Summer’s, Thou
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: A, All, And, Date, Hath, Lovely, Short, Temperate, Too.

2) Please give me an episode title of the TV series (“The Darling Buds of May”), just the title, ignoring whether it is part 1 or part 2.
For Ten Points: Le Grand Weekend, Oh! To Be In England, When the Green Woods Laugh
For Five Points: Climb the Greasy Pole (2)
Not mentioned: A Breath of French Air, Cast Not Your Pearls Before Swine, Christmas Is Coming, Stranger at the Gates, The Darling Buds of May, The Happiest Days of Your Lives, The Season of Heavenly Gifts.

3) Please give me the first name of any of Kirk (Douglas)’s children –or- grandchildren.
For Ten Points: Joel, Tyler
For Five Points: Eric (3)
Not mentioned: Cameron, Carys, Dylan, Jason, Kelsey, Michael, Peter, Ryan.

4) From the site (“The Phrase Finder”) please give me a phrase that begins with the letters “MA”.
For Ten Points: Mad as a March hare, Make him an offer he can’t refuse, Mal de mer, Many are called but few are chosen, Market forces
Not mentioned: Loads more can be found here.

5) Since this round will be open from May 4 to May 10, please give me the name of any holiday, per this site, in that period of time.
For Ten Points: Beverage Day, Clean Up Your Room Day, International Tuba Day, National Candied Orange Peel Day, National Hoagie Day
Not mentioned: Have a Coke Day, Lost Sock Memorial Day, National Roast Leg of Lamb Day, No Socks Day, Paste Up Day.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Maninmidohio & Gatsby Congrats to our joint winners!

Other Results:
45 points: Szabs
40 points: Mugaboo & Deepakmr

Thank you to all the players.

#470305 - Sun May 10 2009 12:56 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 6 - Wednesday - closes in about 12 ish hours

#470306 - Mon May 11 2009 06:11 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 6th May round Results

Q1 A song from “West Side Story”.
FOR TEN POINTS:
America, Maria, “I have a love”, Something coming,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
One Hand, One Heart (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Officer Krupke and more,

Q2 A planet in the solar system
FOR TEN POINTS:
Mars, Earth,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Venus (2), Uranus (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Saturn and more

Q3 One of the seven deadly sins
FOR TEN POINTS:
Luxuria (extravagance),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Gluttony/Greed (3), Sloth (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Pride and more

Q4 Something you’d find in a Doctor’s waiting room
FOR TEN POINTS:
Table, Tropical fish tank, Pamphlets, Carpet, Diploma, Medical journal,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all,
NOT MENTIONED:
Sick people ( ) and more

Q5 Something (or somebody) you associate with the USA!
FOR TEN POINTS:
Grand Canyon, White House, Beverley Hills, Michelle Obama, Douglas MacArthur, Wild West,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Stars and stripes and more,

SCORES
Gatsby – 45
Szabs – 45
Brandz_mygirl - 40
Mugaboo – 40
Maninmidohio – 40
Deepakmr - 35

Well done to Gatsby and Szabs

#470307 - Mon May 11 2009 08:34 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 7 (Dan Brown) will be closing in about 24 hours from now. Newcomers and veterans are welcome to participate

Edited by deepakmr (Mon May 11 2009 08:35 AM)

#470308 - Tue May 12 2009 03:28 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 11 for Monday has been delayed for a while. Will get it up later today hopefully.

#470309 - Tue May 12 2009 05:49 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 12 ~ Tuesday

I loves me "cop shows" . Especially the *gritty* ones - not too jazzed, by a mile, on those *forensics* ones, though. Corrupt criminals doing nasty deeds is one thing, viewing autopsies and/or dubious internal organs is quite another (in my opinion). With the end of the long-running series "ER", the folks behind that fine show came up with a (very reminiscent, in style) police drama set in California to replace it. So these questions are about the new program - and please watch, if you can. The ratings, I'm told, pretty much suck so far ...

1. One of the more intriguing (and to be honest, not always in a "charming" way) cops on Southland is played by Michael Cudlitz. His Officer John Cooper is so hard around the edges (mostly?) and his treatment of the young recruit he's training so harsh that it's hard to like him much. But the layers are many in Cooper, and Cudlitz does an exceptionally good job presenting every side of the fellow. He has been showing promise on many TV shows over the years - it's good to see him earn a solid role in a standout series, finally. To start, please tell me a television series in which Michael Cudlitz has made an appearance since (and including) 2007. But don't use Southland ...

2. The show addresses the men and women who work for the Los Angeles Police Department ... clearly doing a thankless, dangerous job while trying to conduct sensible private lives interspersed with the brutally honest presentations of their workdays on 'the street'. The LAPD has had its share of controversies, that'd be true (the Rodney King disturbance comes to mind in a hurry, o' course) -- but, I think, their incidents of heroism and strength under pressure far outnumber those intermittent scandalous events. It's just that we never hear a whole lot, on the news, about the "good" stuff. LAPD offers many awards, commendations, citations and medals to their force. From the Wiki page, tell me a medal (for bravery only) or a ribbon that has been issued by the Los Angeles Police Department (no recipients, OK?).

3. Last week's episode involved a story arc about a 9-1-1 call. The complaint? A large (and hostile) guy had been given the wrong tattoo on his back. Um, instead of it reading *Denise*, it read *Dennis* !? Cooper had no business with any of it (mostly because, really, it was NOT an emergency). A ruckus ensued - it's not a good idea to assault a police officer, especially over a tattoo, yes? But, as for tattoos ~ probably the "forefather" of 'em is a dude named Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins (1911-1973). Jerry expanded the craft by developing his own pigments and being a pioneer in utilizing hospital-quality sterilization in his "art". His attention to detail was meticulous, mixing the roguish attitude of the sailor with the mysticism/technical prowess of the Far East. In 1999, two friends partnered with a small clothing company to establish Sailor Jerry Ltd., which produces various items using Collins's styling and designs. Have a look here and tell me a city where one can find one of his affiliated shops - in any of the "Four Corner" states (Utah, Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado).

4. Another young actor in Southland is Tom Everett Scott. He plays Detective Russell Clarke which means he spends the bulk of his screen time at the precinct, doing detective business and administration - we don't know much about him yet (other than that he seems in a slightly stale marriage and is constantly tempted with a proverbial 'wandering eye'). Scott is perhaps best known for his role as drummer Guy Patterson in the 1996 movie That Thing You Do! - a role he almost didn't get because director Tom Hanks thought the actor looked too much like, well, Tom Hanks? The question is: were I to go to a store and puchase the official soundtrack for the film That Thing You Do!, what's a name of a band/singer I might find on it? Note: I'm not looking for song titles ...

5. Over on the official Southland website there are several things of interest (incl. an interactive crime scene map). It also mentions that Los Angeles is 500 square miles in size, and inhabited by 4 million people. There are but (app.) 9800 police officers there to 'manage' it all. Which means? More than 408 people exist per cop (and that'd be if each officer worked 24 hours a day) ! Over there you will find a quiz, too - 10 questions, all having to do with what various police *codes* mean. Take the quiz and tell me any of those questions (AND the correct answer as well, please). Your answers here, then, will have two parts - and abbreviated answers are fine to use.

This one'll wrap up come Sunday, around noon ! Have a terrific week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Jun 21 2009 09:10 PM)

#470310 - Tue May 12 2009 11:19 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 7 – Thursday
Dan Brown

Five fabulous players participated in this round.

Q1: Dan Brown’s official website has some bizarre facts about his novel Digital Fortress, please choose any of the bizarre facts *not* starting from the letter ‘Y’.

For 10 points: Everything you charge is in a database that police among others can look at, Government computers scan your E-Mail for subversive language, Most "baby monitors" can be intercepted 100 feet outside the home, Intelligence agencies now have "micro-bots" -- tiny remote control electronic "bugs" that literally can fly into your home and look around without your noticing, a new technology called TEMPEST can intercept what you are typing on your keypad (from 100 feet away through a cement wall)

For 5 points: none, 10 points to all

Not mentioned : In large cities, Americans are photographed on the average of 20 times a day, Supermarkets track what you purchase and sell the information to direct-mail marketing firms, A political candidate found his career destroyed by a newspaper that published a list of all the videos he had ever rented, , Anyone with $100 can tap your phone and the National Security Agency has a submarine that can intercept and decipher digital communications from the RF emissions of underwater phone cables.

Q2: Please go to the Wikipedia page for the Angels and Demons movie and tell me the name of any of the cast as listed in the page.

For 10 points: none

For 5 points: Ayelet Zurer (3), Stellan Skarsgard (2)

Not mentioned : Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor, Pierfrancesco Favino, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Armin Mueller Stahl.

Q3: Please go to the Wiki page for the novel “The Da Vinci Code”. Here you will find the secrets of the holy grail, please tell me any of them.

For 10 points: The Holy Grail is Mary Magdalene, The Old French expression for San greal is ‘royal blood’, Existence of the bloodline was the secret discovered by the Crusaders

For 5 points: Grail relics consist of documents as well as the actual bones of Mary (2)

Not mentioned : Jesus is not the divine son of God, Grail relics were hidden by the Priory of Sion in a crypt, Church suppressed the truth about Mary Magdalene and Mary Magdalene was the wife of Jesus.

Q4: Please tell me any word that appears in the first sentence of the prologue of the novel “Deception Point”.

For 10 points: forms

For 5 points: countless (4)

Not mentioned : Death, in, this, forsaken, place, could, come and in.

Q5: FT has a number of quizzes about the novels of Dan Brown (in the literature section), please tell me the name of a quiz that has Dan Brown’s name in its title.

For 10 points: Dan Brown – “Da Vinci Code”, “Digital Fortress” Dan Brown’s masterpiece, Dan Brown – “Angels and Demons”, Dan Brown’s Amazing “Da Vinci Code”, Dan Brown’s – “The Da Vinci Code”

For 5 points: none, 10 points to all

Not mentioned : The Dan Brown Novels, Dan Brown – “Digital Fortress” and Dan Brown books.

The final results:

40 points: maninmidohio, Mugaboo, szabs & Gatsby722
35 points: brandz_mygirl

An interesting combination of answers resulting in four winners for this round maninmidohio, Mugaboo, szabs and Gatsby722 all of whom win a trivia point each for May. Congrats to our winners. See you on Thursday .

#470311 - Tue May 12 2009 12:28 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 8 - The Finger Lakes Round will close in aproximately 23 hours. Plenty of time to get in your entry. If you have never tried the trivia rounds before, give them a whirl. They are a lot of fun and really do not take that much time to do. No FT points are awarded, but you do get the glory of winning if you are successful.

#470312 - Wed May 13 2009 02:44 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 13th May 2009 round
Q1 A film beginning with H
Q2 A song title beginning with H
Q3 A book title beginning with H
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with H
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with H
The round closes over the weekend

#470313 - Wed May 13 2009 05:25 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 11 - sorry all but I'm not going to be able to post the May 11 (Monday's) round. It's already Wednesday and I haven't got all the questions done up yet. Apologies to everyone. To quote the terminator, I will be back....... on Monday 18 May.

#470314 - Wed May 13 2009 03:19 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Results

Round 8 – The Finger Lakes Round

We had five great players for the Finger Lakes Round. Thanks to all for playing.

1. Although there are over a dozen lakes in western central New York, Wikipedia designates only seven as being the true Finger Lakes. Please, tell me the name of one of these true Finger Lakes.

For 10 Points:
Otisco Lake, Owasko Lake, Cayuga Lake, Keuka Lake, and Canadaigua Lake
For 5 Points: None
Not Chosen: Skaneateles Lake and Seneca Lake

2. Please, tell me a line from the first two verses of the Cornell Alma Mater (but not the chorus/refrain).

Chosen Lines in bold:

Far Above Cayuga's Waters
With its waves of blue,
Stands our noble Alma Mater
Glorious to view (2)

Far Above the busy humming
Of the bustling town;

Reared against the arch of Heaven,
Looks she proudly down.

3. Please tell me the name of one of the gardens at Sonnenberg Gardens Mansion and State Historic Park (all of the gardens have the word “Garden” as part of their name).

For 10 Points: Rose Garden
For 5 Points: Pansy Garden (2) and Old Fashion Garden (2)
Not Chosen: Japanese Garden, Sub-Rosa Garden, Italian Garden, Blue and White Garden, Moonlight Garden, and Rock Garden

4. Visit the website WinesNY.com and use their “Search Wine” facility to find a Finger Lakes Reisling that has a rating over 94.5 and yet is priced under $18 per bottle (provide vintner and wine name).

For 10 Points: Chateau LaFayette Reneau Dry Riesling, Sheldrake Point Vineyard Riesling, and Chateau LaFayette Reneau Riesling Semi Dry
For 5 Points: Chateau LaFayette Reneau Johannisberg Riesling (2)
Not Chosen: Dr. Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars Johannisberg Riesling, Dr. Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars Semi-Dry Riesling, Rivendell Soho Johannisberg Riesling, Standing Stone Riesling, Heron Hill Ingle Vineyard Johannisberg Riesling, and Glenora Wine Cellars Dry Riesling

5. One of the most memorable of Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s speeches is titled “Solitude of Self” which she presented before the Committee of the Judiciary of the United States Congress on January 18, 1892. The next to the last paragraph begins, “And yet, there is a solitude, which each and every one of us has always carried with him.” Please give me one of the phrases (sections set off by commas, periods, or semi-colons) that follow this opening in that paragraph.

Chosen phrases in bold:
more inaccessible than the ice-cold mountains
more profound than the midnight sea
the solitude of self
Our inner being
which we call ourself
no eye nor touch of man or angel has ever pierced
It is more hidden than the caves of the gnome
the sacred adytum of the oracle (2)
the hidden chamber of eleusinian mystery
for to it only omniscience is permitted to enter.

The Results:

With 50 Points: brandz_mygirl
With 40 Points: szabs, deepakmr, and Gatsby722
With 30 Points: Mugaboo

Walking away with the May trivia point whose fine effort of a perfect score must be applauded is brandz_mygirl. Well done. We will be seeing everyone again next week for another exciting round.

#470315 - Thu May 14 2009 07:47 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 14 – Thursday

I didn’t have time today to make a detailed round. So, here’s a quick and short one about the number seven.

Q1: There are seven colours in the rainbow. Please tell me any one of the seven VIBGYOR colours.

Q2: Indian music has seven notes known as the ‘Sapta Swara’. Please tell me any of the seven notes of the ‘Sapta Swara’ in Indian music.

Q3 : I loved to read the books of Enid Blyton, when I was young. One of her popular book series was the ‘Secret Seven’ series. Please tell me the name of any one of Enid Blyton’s ‘Secret Seven’. (you can leave out the dog )

Q4 : The word seven brings to mind the seven wonders of the world. There have been many ‘seven wonder’ lists made. In 2007, a Swiss organisation New7wonders foundation brought out a list of the New seven wonders of the world; from that list, please choose one (no honorary candidates, please).

Q5 : In my profession of quality management, the ‘seven quality tools’ is an important concept. Please tell me the name of any of the seven tools of quality.

The seven round will close on 19th May, Tuesday. Looking forward to your answers

#470316 - Fri May 15 2009 04:55 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 15 Friday

All the places mentioned in this round are included on the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites.

1. The Iguazu Falls, are located on the border of the Brazilian state of Paraná and the Argentine province of Misiones. The falls divide the river into the upper and lower Iguazu. The waterfall system consists of 275 falls along 2.7 kilometers (1.67 miles). Some of the individual falls are up to 82 meters in height, though the majority are about 64 metres. The Devil's Throat (Garganta del Diablo in Spanish), a U-shaped, 82-meter-high, 150-meter-wide and 700-meter-long cataract, is the most impressive of all, and marks the border between Argentina and Brazil. The sight is truly breathtaking, and has been used in several films, from the wiki page could you please tell me a movie/TV the Falls were featured in:

2. The Sydney Opera House, inaugurated in 1973, is one of the greatest architectural work of the 20th century that brings together multiple strands of creativity and innovation in both architectural form and structural design. It comprises three groups of interlocking vaulted ‘shells’ which roof two main performance halls and a restaurant. These shell-structures are set upon a vast platform and are surrounded by terrace areas that function as pedestrian concourses. In 1957, when the project of the Sydney Opera House was awarded by an international jury to Danish architect Jørn Utzon, it marked a radically new approach to construction. The Sydney Opera House was included in the World Heritage List in 2007. From the official site of the Sydney Opera House please tell me any event that will take place between the 15th of May and the 22nd of May inclusive.

3. The Lalibela - Rock-hewn churches are located in a mountainous region in northern Ethiopia, the monolithic cave churches of this 13th-century 'New Jerusalem' is a high place of Ethiopian Christianity, and is still today a place of pilgrimage and devotion. The construction of the rock-hewn churches is attributed to King Lalibela. The buildings are monolithic, carved from a sloping mass of red volcanic scoria underlaid by dark grey basalt and interconnected by a maze of tunnels and passages with openings to hermit caves and catacombs. There are 13 churches, assembled in four groups, please give me the name of one of the churches(they can be found on the wiki page).

4. Old Town of Lunenburg is the best surviving example of a planned British colonial settlement in North America, located in Nova Scotia, Canada. Established in 1753, it has retained its original layout and overall appearance, based on a rectangular grid pattern drawn up in the home country. The inhabitants have managed to safeguard the city's identity throughout the centuries by preserving the wooden architecture of the houses, some of which date from the 18th century. From the Lunenburg’s official site , please take an Architectural Tour, and give me the name of one of the buildings you can visit on the tour.

5. The city of Toledo in central Spain, was the capital of the Visigothic Kingdom, an outpost of the Christian kingdoms fighting the Moors and, in the 16th century, the temporary seat of supreme power under Charles V, Toledo is the repository of more than 2,000 years of history. Its masterpieces are the product of diverse civilizations in an environment where the existence of three major religions – Judaism, Christianity and Islam was a major factor. Toledo was the religious capital of Spain and a populous city with "an illustrious past, a prosperous present and an uncertain future", and this is where the famous painter of Greek descent known as El Greco came to establish his residence in 1577. He was commissioned by the Church to paint religious paintings to strengthen people’s faith, in a time of religious turmoil. Go to this site , and please give me the title of a painting, in the first 24 pictures shown on the first page.

This round will finish on Wednesday the 20th, if you have any questions I am just a pm away, in the meantime have a great weekend wherever you are .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002