Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#470317 - Sat May 16 2009 01:52 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 16 - Saturday 16th May

1. Last Monday the Sony Radio Academy awards for 2009 were announced in London. Please give me any winner of a "Speech" Radio award in 2009.

2. On January 19 1977 President Gerald Ford established the Humanitarian Service Medal. Please give me an approved operation for the Humanitarian Service Medal, that was occurring during Ford's term as President.

3. Name any television weather presenter.

4. In two weeks the UK's largest artist fair takes place in Chelsea. Name an artist at the untitled artist fair, who has a surname starting with the letter "P".

5. Charles XIV John of Sweden, was appointed a Marshal of France by Napoleon, before being installed as King in 1818 - Legend has it he had a Tattoo. Give me a letter of the alphabet that Charles XIV of Sweden supposedly had as part of his Tattoo.

If you need any help, please shout. Otherwise the round will end at noon (FT time) on Thursday.

#470318 - Sun May 17 2009 01:34 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 13 closes tomorrow

#470319 - Mon May 18 2009 01:42 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 13th May results
Q1 A film beginning with H
FOR TEN POINTS:
Hobson's Choice (1954), Hair (1979), Harry and the Hendersons, Hold That Ghost, Held up, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Harvey and more

Q2 A song title beginning with H
FOR TEN POINTS:
Hound Dog (Elvis Presley), "Hometown Glory" (by Adele), Hey, Hey, We’re the Monkees, High Priest Of Rhythmic Noise (Cheap Trick), “High" - David Hallyday, Human (by Civil Twilight),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all

Q3 A book title beginning with H
FOR TEN POINTS:
Heather and Snow (George MacDonald), "Handbags and Halos" (by Bernadette Strachan), H is for Homicide, Hornet’s Nest (Patricia Cornwell), .“His Last Bow” – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Hickory Dickory Dock – Agatha Christie,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with H
FOR TEN POINTS:
Humanise, Hotcakes, Homework, Hatchway, Hopingly, Hindmost,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Handball and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with H
FOR TEN POINTS:
Haggis, Hominy, Horseradish, Hushallsost cheese, Honeycake, Humbug,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Honey and more

SCORES - six players
Brandz_mygirl-50
Deepakmr – 50
Gatsby - 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs - 50

Well done to all!

#470320 - Mon May 18 2009 07:51 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Round 14(Seven) will close in around 24 hours from now. Veterans and newcomers are invited to participate

#470321 - Mon May 18 2009 11:40 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday May 18 – Quiz

It’s all about J.
More of the alphabet rounds.

1) June – Brandy (a dog with the curiosity to rival that of any cat) was born 12 June 1997. Please name a well-known personality born on this day in the 20th century. You may wish to use this site to search for your answer. Reading through the question, I thought I had better include this disclaimer (just in case): I am truly not trying to imply anything here. Only that 12 June is a special date to me.

2) Jell-O – is a Kraft Foods brand, well-known for their gelatin desserts. Eating gelatin or jelly brings back good memories of being a child and not so good memories of being sick as a child. You can find many recipes from Jell-O’s official website. Please proceed to the first page (recipes 1 – 13) of the summer recipes and name any dish whose prep time is 5 minutes.

3) Juilliard School – school for the performing arts located at Lincoln Plaza, New York city. Getting accepted as a student into the Juilliard is extremely competitive with an in-person audition required of all applicants. Juilliard alumni includes Marcia Cross, Mandy Patinkin, Kelsey Grammer, Kevin Spacey, Peter Jacobson. Please tell me a summer program that will be run by the Juilliard School.

4) Jelly beans – much favored by former U.S. President Ronald Reagan who was reported to have always kept a jar of jelly beans close by wherever he was working. From the website of the White house jelly bean supplier during Mr. Reagan’s terms of office, please give me any of the sour flavors available. HINT: The flavor guides may be the way to go.

5) “James Tiberius Kirk” – Captain of the starship USS Enterprise, NCC-1701. I am a Star Trek fan and with the movie “Star Trek” out this week, I thought I should include mention of my second favorite character from the original TV series. “Mr. Spock” is my ‘favorite-est’. William Shatner who played the role of Captain Kirk before Chris Pine, voiced an introduction during the opening credits of the original “Star Trek” TV series. Please give me any word from that introduction that has 6-or-more letters.

This round will close on Sunday 24 May at noon FT time. Hope everyone will have a lovely week. Gentle Monday to all!

#470322 - Tue May 19 2009 04:31 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Yikes . First, all due apologies offered for the abscence of Round 12 results (all answers were received, and appreciated ... and are on this computer somewhere ... thing is, I'm having a bit o' a problem finding them at the moment ). My computer, after weeks of highly unfriendly threats thereto , finally gave up the ghost [with no option of turning back offered]. As a result, I have a new tower now -- complete with the wrong resolution on my monitor, screens I can't access, blank places where there once was many bits and pieces of necessary *things*, and so forth. It's all still here, somewhere. I'm just having troubles finding it all at the moment. I gotta tell ya, though. Semi-useless as it is, I'm just loving this shiny new keyboard and mouse . I'll figure out the rest as I go (it takes an old goat such as myself far more than just half a day to adapt to new equipment, o' course ).

Anyway ... results will be up ASAP. AND today's round [19] will be up soon after that. Yes, it may be the 23rd of May by then ... but, I'll do my best. OK? Thanks for your patience.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue May 19 2009 09:33 AM)

#470323 - Tue May 19 2009 10:44 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 14 – Thursday
Seven

Four loyal players participated in this round.

Q1: Please tell me any one of the seven colours in the rainbow.

For 10 points: Red, Orange

For 5 points: Yellow (2)

Not mentioned : Violet, Indigo, Blue and Green.

Q2: Please tell me any of the seven notes of the ‘Sapta Swara’ in Indian music.

For 10 points: Sa, Re, Pa, Ni

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned : Ga, Ma and Da.

Q3: Please tell me the name of any one of Enid Blyton’s ‘Secret Seven’.

For 10 points: Barbara, George,

For 5 points: Pam (2)

Not mentioned : Peter, Janet, Jack and Colin.

Q4: In 2007, a Swiss organisation New7wonders foundation brought out a list of the new seven wonders of the world; from that list, please choose one.

For 10 points: Christ the Redeemer, Machu Picchu, Chichen Itza, Taj Mahal

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned : Great Wall of China, Petra and Roman Colosseum.

Q5: Please tell me the name of any of the seven tools of quality.

For 10 points: none

For 5 points: Flowchart (2), Histogram (2)

Not mentioned : Ishikawa (fishbone) diagram, Pareto chart, Check sheet, Control chart and Scatter diagram.

The final results:

40 points: Mugaboo, maninmidohio, brandz_mygirl and szabs

Four players in this round and all four maninmidohio, Mugaboo, szabs and brandz_mygirl are tied on 40 points and win a trivia point each for May. Congrats to all our four winners. Have a great day .

#470324 - Tue May 19 2009 02:56 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a quick reminder Round 15 will be closing in about 24 hours. Plenty of time to send in your answers, and newcomers are more than welcome .

#470325 - Wed May 20 2009 08:43 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 20th May 2009
Q1 Something a house painter uses.
Q2 Name me one of the children in “The Sound of Music” (there was seven – just the characters name)
Q3 Name any musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Q4 A star sign
Q5 A type of vegetable
This round closes on Monday 25th or Tuesday! 26th

#470326 - Thu May 21 2009 05:30 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 21 – Thursday

Homeopathy is a controversial alternative medicine system. It is controversial because it has as many detractors as it has supporters. Our topic for this round is homeopathy.

Q1: Homeopathy means ‘cure by similars’. It is a medicinal system devised by a German physician Dr. Samuel Hahnemann in 1796. Homeopathy works on the principle that ‘Like cures like’, i.e : a substance that can cause certain symptoms can be used to cure the same symptoms. From this page please tell me any of the principles of homeopathy.

Q2: While the concept of ‘cure by similars’ is accepted, what makes homeopathy controversial is its use of low dilutions. Homeopathy uses a variety of plant, animal and chemical sources for its medicines. Some medicines include cobra venom, Arsenic and Poison Ivy – but none of them are harmful are they are diluted so much, that they just can’t have side effects. The Wiki page on homeopathy has a dilution scale, please tell me any of the C scale dilutions listed on that page.

Q3 : Homeopathy uses more than 2000 different types of medicines and surprisingly many medicines are available for the same ailment. This page has the names of some of the commonly used homeopathic remedies; please tell me the name of any of the medicines used to treat fever.

Q4 : Apart from the founder of homeopathy Dr. Hahnemann, there have been a number of famous homeopaths who include Dr. Kent, Dr. Nash, Dr. Clarke and Dr. Margaret Tyler. Please tell me the name of any of the books on homeopathy written by Dr. E B Nash. (The B.Jain publishers link on the homeoint website would be of help in finding the answer)

Q5 : Homeopathy is popular among its adherents, who believe that it provides gentle and permanent cure to ailments. There are many variants to homeopathy, one of them being the ‘Biochemic remedies’ - a system proposed by Dr. Schussler which makes use of only twelve homeopathic salts. Please tell me the name of any of the biochemic remedies (please exclude the phosphate salts).

This round closes on 26th May, Tuesday. Do send me a PM if you need help with any of the questions. Enjoy the week ahead

#470327 - Thu May 21 2009 05:31 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 15 Answers

Five world adventurers participated in this round dedicated to places listed by the UNESCO World Heritage sites.

1. The Iguazu Falls, are located on the border of the Brazilian state of Paraná and the Argentine province of Misiones. The sight is truly breathtaking, and has been used in several films, from the wiki page could you please tell me a movie/TV the Falls were featured in:

For 10 Points : Godzilla 3D to the max, Moonraker, Happy Together
For 5 Points : Mr Magoo (2)
Among Others: The Mission , Miami Vice, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

2. The Sydney Opera House, inaugurated in 1973, is one of the greatest architectural work of the 20th century that brings together multiple strands of creativity and innovation in both architectural form and structural design. From the official site of the Sydney Opera House please tell me any event that will take place between the 15th of May and the 22nd of May inclusive.

10 Points to all : Russian Tribute, Opera High Tea, Gatz by Elevator Repair Service, Belshazzar's Feast, Polished Brass
Among Others: Belshazzar's Feast

3. The Lalibela - Rock-hewn churches are located in a mountainous region in northern Ethiopia. There are 13 churches, assembled in four groups, please give me the name of one of the churches(they can be found on the wiki page).

For 10 Points : Bete Giyorgis, Bete Golgotha, Bete Gabriel-Rafael
For 5 Points : Bete Merkorios (2)
Among Others: Bete Medhane Alem, Bete Amanuel

4. Old Town of Lunenburg is the best surviving example of a planned British colonial settlement in North America, located in Nova Scotia, Canada. From the Lunenburg’s official site , please take an Architectural Tour, and give me the name of one of the buildings you can visit on the tour.

10 Points to all : St. John's Anglican Rectory, 49, Cornwallis Street, St. John’s Anglican Church, Heckman-Morash House, The Koch-Solomon House
Among Others: Lunenburg Academy, Parish Hall, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

5. The city of Toledo in central Spain, is where the famous painter of Greek descent known as El Greco came to establish his residence in 1577. He was commissioned by the Church to paint religious paintings to strengthen people’s faith, in a time of religious turmoil. Go to this site , and please give me the title of a painting, in the first 24 pictures shown on the first page.

For 10 Points : The Burial of Count Orgaz, Portrait of a Cardinal c. 1600, Apostles Peter and Paul 1592
For 5 Points : Portrait Of Fray Felix Hortensio Paravicino (2)
Among Others: View and Plan of Toledo c. 1610, The Dream Of Philip II

Scores
We have one winner with a perfect score of 50 points : Deepakmr
With 45 points: Gatsby722 & Maninmidohio
With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl & Mugaboo

A hearty congratulations goes out to the winner of this round Deepak , who will receive a trivia point for the month of May. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#470328 - Thu May 21 2009 11:22 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 16 - 4 played

1. Please give me any winner of a "Speech" Radio award in 2009.
For 10 points: Mr Larkin's Awkward Day
For 5 points: Gavin Lee [3]
Not mentioned: 5 live Olympic Breakfast; Simon Mayo & Mark Kermode; The World Today; The Investigation: Never Too Old To Care; Vanessa Feltz; Nick Ferrari

2. Please give me an approved operation for the Humanitarian Service Medal, that was occurring during Ford's term as President.
For 10 points: Frequent Wind (Vietnam); Lion Assist (Italy)
For 5 points: Bolivian Commercial Air Disaster [2]
Not mentioned include: Evacuation of Laos; Teton Dam Disaster Relief; Beirut Evacuation

3. Name any television weather presenter.
For 10 points: Michele Leslie; Lara Lewington; Divya Wadhwa; Jo Wheeler;
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Jeff Berardelli; Topper Shutt; Laura Tobin

4. Name an artist at the untitled artist fair, who has a surname starting with the letter "P".
For 10 points: Tessa Pearson; Kate Pellegrini
For 5 points: Helen Parsley [2]
Not mentioned include: Liz Peer; Jan Peters; Madeleine Piers; Nicki Price

5. Give me a letter of the alphabet that Charles XIV of Sweden supposedly had as part of his Tattoo.
For 10 points: (none)
For 5 points: O [2]; T [2]
The tatooo read: Mort aux rois! (Death to kings!)

Scores:

40 points: Maninmidohio
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Deepakmr; Szabs

Quite a bruising round considering there were fewer platers than normal, but Maninmidohio collects the round's point.

Edited by denni19 (Sun May 31 2009 11:09 AM)

#470329 - Fri May 22 2009 12:48 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 22

Continuing in the series of rounds based on my college years at Hobart College located in Geneva, NY, in the Finger Lakes Region of Central New York; this round will be devoted to the town that Hobart is located in. This will be the Geneva Round.

1. The Geneva Conventions consist of four treaties formulated in Geneva, Switzerland, that set the standards for international law for humanitarian concerns. These four treaties are the basis for humanitarian law across the world. They chiefly concern the treatment of the wounded, civilians, shipwrecked and prisoners of war. The conventions have been ratified by over 190 countries around the world. Go to the main page on Wikipedia on the Geneva Conventions and tell me one of the other Wikipedia pages listed under “See Also.”

2. Geneva College in Beaver Falls, PA is a Christian college founded in 1836. This past weekend they awarded the 2009 Henry Mancini awards named for the prolific composer who was nominated for 72 Grammy awards and winner of 20. Mancini was born in Beaver County which is where Geneva College is located. These awards are presented to honor outstanding high school musicals in Beaver, Butler, and Lawrence counties. Please tell me the high school of a 2009 winner of a “Henry” in any of the four categories encompassed in Outstanding Male/Female in a Leading/Supporting Role.

3. Geneva is a popular place name in the United States. The name usually implies that the place is on the shores of a lake, just as the original Geneva in Switzerland is. I found 22 different states that had a place named Geneva. Please tell me a state that has a Geneva within its borders but that does not begin with any of the letters in MAINE.

4. Geneva, NY, sits on the shores of Lake Seneca. It is a typical small American city with all of the problems that come with them. I found it a very pleasant place to live during my four years at Hobart College. Go to the City of Geneva, New York, web site and look at the “City Boards and Commissions” page. Please tell me the name of a person who is listed as the Chairperson of one of the listed entities on that page.

5. Geneva, Switzerland is the original Geneva that inspired the names for the Genevas in the United States. It is the second most populous city in Switzerland and because of all the international organizations located there is known as a worldwide centre for diplomacy and international cooperation. From the geneva.info website please give me one of the items on its top ten list of things to do while in Geneva.

The Geneva Round will end noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, May 27. If you have any questions just send me a message and I will be glad to help. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Here in the states we will have our Memorial Day weekend which kicks off the summer season. I am more than ready for it.

#470330 - Sat May 23 2009 06:30 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Whew. My computer's back and actually working right! Here are the long-ago results that have been pending in the interim. I'm really sorry these took forever [and a day ...].

Round 12 ~ Tuesday (a while back )
"Southland"
Six crazy great players [thank you!]

1. To start, please tell me a television series in which Michael Cudlitz has made an appearance since (and including) 2007. But don't use Southland ...

For 10 Points:
Criminal Minds, Knight Rider, Lost, Saving Grace
For 5 Points:
The Cleaner (2)

Cudlitz showed up in "Eleventh Hour", "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation", "Life", "Standoff" and "Bones" as well.

2. From the Wiki page, tell me a medal (for bravery only) or a ribbon that has been issued by the Los Angeles Police Department (no recipients, OK?).

For 10 Points:
1987 Papal Visit Ribbon, 1992 Civil Disturbance Ribbon, Police Life-Saving Medal, Police Medal for Heroism
For 5 Points:
1994 Earthquake Ribbon (2)

Medal of Valor, Liberty Award, Police Star, 1984 Summer Olympics Ribbon and Reserve Service Ribbon are the others.

3. Have a look here and tell me a city where one can find one of his affiliated shops - in any of the "Four Corner" states (Utah, Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado).

For 10 Points:
Park City, Utah (Royal De Luxe), Tucson, Arizona (Razorz Edge)
For 5 Points:
Glendale, Arizona (Elegantly Wasted) (2), Santa Fe, New Mexico (Mira) (2)

Phoenix (Arizona), Salt Lake City & Payson (Utah) and Denver & Fort Collins (Colorado) would also have worked ...

4. The question is: were I to go to a store and puchase the official soundtrack for the film That Thing You Do!, what's a name of a band/singer I might find on it? Note: I'm not looking for song titles ...

For 10 Points:
Cap'n Geech & The Shrimp Shack Shooters, The Heardsman, The Vicksburgs, The Wonders
For 5 Points:
The Saturn 5 (2)

Also on the album? The Norm Wooster Singers, Freddy Fredrickson, The Chantrellines, Diane Dane and Del Paxton.

5. Take the quiz and tell me any of those questions (AND the correct answer as well, please). Your answers here, then, will have two parts - and abbreviated answers are fine to use.

For 10 Points:
A report of a code "207" is identifying a possible: Kidnapping; What is a "code 30"? Burglar alarm; If a dispatch requests a "code 1", you should: Promptly respond over the radio; it's a communications check; If an officer radios that he's "10-98" it means he: finished with the current assignment
For 5 Points:
When a unit is asked for its "10-20", the dispatcher is trying to ascertain: unit's location (2)

Code 7, 10-36, 2 and Violation 52 are also discussed over there.

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr, maninmidohio, Mugaboo
35 Points! .... szabs

denni19 snuck in with a set of answers during her busy holiday - and seemed to have picked the right ones this time, too . Congratulations and a May Trivia Point to her, then ~ and thank you all for playing! Thanks for your patience with me and my techno-dilemmas, too.

#470331 - Sat May 23 2009 09:43 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Reminder - Round 18 will be closing in 25 hours and a bit (close time: noon Sunday FT time). Thank you.

#470332 - Sun May 24 2009 01:03 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 18 is closed. Results will be posted later.

#470333 - Mon May 25 2009 10:22 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Attention please : Round 21 (Homeopathy)) will close in just under 24 hours from now. Lots of time left so hurry up with your answers

#470334 - Mon May 25 2009 11:58 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 20 - Wednesday - closes tomorrow!

#470335 - Tue May 26 2009 04:32 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

May 18 Round – Answers

Five greatly valued players for theJ round. Thank you all for taking part.

1) Please name a well-known personality born on this day in the 20th century. You may wish to use this site to search for your answer.
For Ten Points: Mark Calcavecchia (golfer), Timothy Busfield (actor), Vic Damone (entertainer)
For Five Points: Peter Jones (actor) (2)
Not mentioned: Adriana Lima (model), Anne Frank (WW2 diarist), David Rockefeller (banker), George HW Bush (politician), Jim Nabors (actor), Pat Jennings (footballer) to name a few.

2) You can find many recipes from Jell-O’s official website. Please proceed to the first page (recipes 1 – 13) of the summer recipes and name any dish whose prep time is 5 minutes.
For Ten Points: Apple Pie “A La Mode” Milk Shake, Apples and Chocolate Pudding Dip, 5-minute Banana Split Cup, 5-minute Double Layer Pie, 5-minute Toasted Almond Cheesecake Pie
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: 15-minute Vanilla Rice Pudding, 5-minute Candy Bar Pie.

3) Please tell me a summer program that will be run by the Juilliard School.
For Ten Points: Interpreting for the Theater Institute, Summer Dance Intensive, Summer Percussion Seminar
For Five Points: Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies (2)
Not mentioned: Atlanta Summer Jazz, Complete Choral Musician, Dalcroze Institute, Juilliard String Quartet Seminar.

4) From the website of the White house jelly bean supplier during Mr. Reagan’s terms of office, please give me any of the sour flavors available.
For Ten Points: Lemon, Peach, Raspberry, Strawberry, Watermelon
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Apple, Blueberry, Cherry, Grape, Orange.
Flavor names all start with “Sour”. I’m just listing the second part of the names here.

5) William Shatner who played the role of Captain Kirk before Chris Pine, voiced an introduction during the opening credits of the original “Star Trek” TV series. Please give me any word from that introduction that has 6-or-more letters.
For Ten Points: Starship, Strange, Worlds
For Five Points: Boldly (2)
Not mentioned: Before, Civilizations, Enterprise, Explore, Frontier, Mission, Voyages.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Mugaboo Well done Mugaboo for winning the round with full points!

Other Results:
45 points: Maninmidohio & Szabs
40 points: Gatsby & Deepakmr

#470336 - Tue May 26 2009 06:19 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 20th May 2009 results
Q1 Something a house painter uses.
FOR TEN POINTS:
Scraper (to remove old paint), Paint thinner, Ladder,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Turpentine (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Overalls and more

Q2 Name me one of the children in “The Sound of Music” (there was seven – just the characters name)
FOR TEN POINTS:
Marta,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Brigitta (2), Kurt (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Liesl and more

Q3 Name any musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber
FOR TEN POINTS:
Whistle down the wind, Bombay Dreams, Aspects of love, Sunset Boulevard, Jeeves,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Cats and more

Q4 A star sign
FOR TEN POINTS:
Virgo, Libra, Taurus,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Cancer (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Leo and more

Q5 A type of vegetable
FOR TEN POINTS:
Carrots, Radish, Cucumber, Artichoke, Tuber
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Potato and more

SCORES – 5 competitors
Deepakmr – 50
Brandz_mygirl - 45
Gatsby – 40
Mugaboo – 40
Maninmidohio – 35

Well done to Deepakmr

Edited by JaneMarple (Tue May 26 2009 10:05 AM)

#470337 - Tue May 26 2009 08:20 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 26 ~ Tuesday

Now that I'm effectively behind on two Rounds (sigh), I thought I'd get at least one of 'em up mostly on schedule. I got myself totally mixed up [in spots] on this one - we'll see if I composed it right as the answers roll in, yes ? But, heck, in my world? With Dalí comes a healthy spatter of general confusion, sometimes ...

1. The impetus for this quiz is the recent release of a (typically speculative) "biographical film". It's a Spanish-British production, set against the backdrop of Spain during the 1920s and '30s, as three of the era's most creative young talents meet at university and set off on a course to change their world. Filmmaker Luis Buñuel watches helplessly as the friendship between Salvador Dalí and the poet Federico García Lorca develops into an unusual love affair (or maybe not ... the movie takes a fair share of liberties on many of those details, indeed). Robert Pattinson, suddenly famous for his star-making turn in the vampire flick Twilight, takes on the role of Dalí - and, if nothing else, the mustache looks right . British film director and screenwriter Paul Morrison directed the 2009 feature. To start, please tell me the title of anything Mr. Morrison has directed so far.

2. Dalí's "The Persistence of Memory" (1931) is arguably his most famous work. The well-known surrealistic piece introduced the image of the soft melting pocket watch, epitomizing his theory of 'softness' and 'hardness', which was central to his thinking at the time. The orange clock at the bottom left of the painting is covered in ants (Salvador often used ants in his paintings as a symbol for death, as well as a symbol of female genitalia ). Another source tells us that the one clock was about the difficulties of birth, while another clock is to show the trauma of pre-birth? The tree means life and helps to present anxiety or, in a certain way, terror - although it is likely that it was conceived as a functional element on which to drape one of the watches. The painting made the artist a 'star', though. In 1939, long-established surrealist André Breton coined the derogatory nickname "Avida Dollars", an anagram for Salvador Dalí which may be translated as "eager for dollars", slamming his 'commercialism' [perhaps a bit jealous, eh?]. Come up with another anagram using the letters S-A-L-V-A-D-O-R -- D-A-L-Í, OK? Be as creative as you like (but use only the letters that are there)!

3. Also, in August 1929, Salvador Dalí met his muse, inspiration, and future wife Gala (born Elena Ivanovna Diakonova). She was a Russian immigrant eleven years his senior, who at that time was married to surrealist poet Paul Éluard. He and Gala, having lived together since 1929, were married in 1934 in a civil ceremony, later remarrying in a Catholic ceremony in 1958. Dalí said that she was the one who saved him from madness and an early death. In the early '30s, he started to sign his paintings with his and her name as "(i)t is mostly with your blood, Gala, that I paint my pictures". As one might expect, they were a most colorful (and often controversial) couple. Once they attended a New York society costume party dressed as the Lindbergh baby and his kidnapper?! Naturally, quite a social stink ensued - that kidnapping case had broken hearts inclusively AND had grabbed the modern consciousness entirely. I'm sure that Dali planned to be an example of bold bad taste ~ but he ultimately did make a public apology. Over here there are 12 key pieces of evidence that finally convicted Bruno Hauptmann as the kidnapper/murderer of young Lindbergh. Pick one of them (and abbreviated answers are fine).

4. "If I press your fingers, I crush the droplets of my picnic grapes; and if I want to remind myself of your legs, I need only recall that disturbing rotting donkey with the nightingale head." -or, maybe "Why do rotting donkeys have the head of a hollowed-out night nightingale? How is it there are are rotting nightingales with the head of a donkey?" Yikes ! Yes, Dalí also wrote poems, essays, short fiction, art criticism and art theory. Not so terribly long ago a book "Oui: The Paranoid-Critical Revolution", written by Salvador (translated by Yvonne Shafir), was released ... a collection of texts compiled and edited by Dalí's great chronicler, colleague and friend Robert Descharnes. Arranged chronologically, these diverse (polymorphously perverse, too, so it's said) texts offer a potent view of the "cosmic" life and art, creation and creative process, the mind and body of Salvador Dalí. While I can't vouch for the readability or even the sensibility of this collection ('rotting donkeys', after all ?), I'd like you to tell me one of the first ten numbered chapters in it.

5. Dalí's own museum, The Teatre-Museu Dalí, is located in his native Figueres, Spain but museums in his honor have popped up around the globe. One of the more notable is the Salvador Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida. It's the permanent home of the world's most comprehensive collection of the renowned Spanish artist's work. Compiled over a 45-year period, it is celebrated for its 96 oil paintings (spanning from 1917 through 1970) which provides an impressive overview of his major themes and symbols. Characterized by diversity, it includes the Impressionist and Cubist styles of his early period, abstract work from his transition to Surrealism, the famous surrealist canvases for which he is best known, and examples of his preoccupation with religion and science during his classic period. Periodic rotations of the collection and special exhibitions allow museum goers to view new work each time they visit. Have a look here and tell me one of the highlights shown on that site ... but only pick a painting from the 1930s. Thanks!

Okey dokey. This one'll wrap at noon-ish on Sunday! See you all then .

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue May 26 2009 12:13 PM)

#470338 - Tue May 26 2009 11:30 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 21 – Thursday
Homeopathy

Five super players participated in this round.

Q1: From this page please tell me any of the principles of homeopathy

For 10 points: Similia Similbus curanter, Principle of Individualisation

For 5 points: Use of the Materia Medica (3)

Not mentioned : Simplex Similimum Minimum, Principle of Potentisation, Law of Direction, Three Legged Stool and Repertorisation.

Q2: The Wiki page on homeopathy has a dilution scale, please tell me any of the C scale dilutions listed on that page.

For 10 points: 6C, 30C, 3C

For 5 points: 12C (2)

Not mentioned : 1C, 4C and 200C.

Q3: This page has the names of some of the commonly used homeopathic remedies; please tell me the name of any of the medicines used to treat fever.

For 10 points: Ipecac, Rhus tox, Veratrum Alb, Eupatorium perf, Arsenicum album

For 5 points: none, all get 10 points

Not mentioned : Aconite, Ferrum phos and Gelsemium.

Q4: Please tell me the name of any of the books on homeopathy written by Dr. E B Nash.

For 10 points: Leaders for the use of Sulphur

For 5 points: How to take a Case (2), Leaders in Typhoid fever (2)

Not mentioned : Leaders in Homeopathic Therapeutics, Regional Leaders, The Testimony of the Clinic, Leaders in Respiratory Organs and Expanded Works of Nash.

Q5: Please tell me the name of any of the biochemic remedies (please exclude the phosphate salts).

For 10 points: Potassium sulphate (Kali sulph), Calcium fluoride (Calc fluor), Sodium sulphate (Nat sulph)

For 5 points: Potassium chloride (Kali mur) (2)

Not mentioned : Calcium sulphate (Calc sulph), Sodium chloride (Nat mur) and Silica.

The final results:

50 points: Mugaboo
45 points: brandz_mygirl
35 points: Gatsby722 & szabs
30 points: maninmidohio

A closely contested round and Mugaboo emerges as the winner with a perfect score. Congrats to Mugaboo for winning a trivia point for May. Thanks to all the players. Have a great week

#470339 - Tue May 26 2009 05:01 PM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
I am a little late with this reminder, but wanted to get the word out. Round 22 - The Geneva Round will be closing in about 18 hours. Plenty of time to get your entry in - new and veteran players welcomed.

#470340 - Wed May 27 2009 04:48 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hello there, just a note that I won't be posting Monday's round this week, which you've probably noticed already. Have been busy. Will resume weekly posting in June. Wishing everyone a great week.

#470341 - Wed May 27 2009 05:50 AM Re: May 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 27th May 2009
Q1 A film beginning with I
Q2 A song title beginning with I
Q3 A book title beginning with I
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with I
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with I
This round closes over the weekend

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >