Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#470584 - Sun May 03 2009 01:17 PM Two quiz questions
janetgool Offline
Explorer

Loc: Israel
I have two quiz-writing related questions. Number 1, where would I put a quiz that deals with the Biblical roots of modern Hebrew idioms? Would it go in "World/languages/Hebrew" or in "Religion/Old Testament/Tanach"? And question number two is a technical one. I am working on a quiz, and at the end of one of the "interesting information" sections, there is a HUGE section of empty space. How do I get rid of it? Thanks to all, Janet

#470585 - Sun May 03 2009 01:20 PM Re: Two quiz questions
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
I can't help you with the placement section, but the empty space should be easy to get rid of. Try highlighting and deleting it.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#470586 - Sun May 03 2009 02:02 PM Re: Two quiz questions
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
I am just sneaking in to say a happy birthday Skunkee Hope you have a good one.

#470587 - Sun May 03 2009 02:23 PM Re: Two quiz questions
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Quote:

I have two quiz-writing related questions. Number 1, where would I put a quiz that deals with the Biblical roots of modern Hebrew idioms? Would it go in "World/languages/Hebrew" or in "Religion/Old Testament/Tanach"?

I'd vote the former. See below for the extent of my standing on the question before the floor, however.

#470588 - Sun May 03 2009 03:03 PM Re: Two quiz questions
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Without seeing the quiz, it's difficult to tell.

On the whole, take a look at the slant a quiz straddling two categories takes, in order to pick the category. In this case, is the emphasis on the Bible, or on the Hebrew? If you really can't tell, you might want to rework the quiz a little, so it does come down cleanly on one side or the other of the line. A careful reading of the guidelines for both categories would be helpful, too.

#470589 - Sun May 03 2009 06:03 PM Re: Two quiz questions
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
Washington USA
To make Agony's excellent advice a little more specific, as a Religion editor I'd look at what body of knowledge is needed to answer the questions. If you give players the idioms and ask them to explain the Biblical roots, it probably belongs in Religion: The Bible. But if you talk about what the Bible says and ask the players for a modern Hebrew idiom, that sounds more like a World Languages quiz.

We like Bible quizzes to generally be answerable from nothing more than a copy of the Bible in hand, so keep that in mind if you'd like to slant it towards Religion. Another thing to keep in mind is that World Languages quizzes typically allow much more of the question to be written in Hebrew (or other language besides English).

CellarDoor
Editor (Religion, Humanities, Music)

#470590 - Sun May 03 2009 09:20 PM Re: Two quiz questions
janetgool Offline
Explorer

Loc: Israel
Thanks to one and all for the great advice! Janet

#470591 - Sat May 09 2009 04:14 AM Re: Two quiz questions
ThisBlows Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Norway
Quote:

I have two quiz-writing related questions. Number 1, where would I put a quiz that deals with the Biblical roots of modern Hebrew idioms? Would it go in "World/languages/Hebrew" or in "Religion/Old Testament/Tanach"? And question number two is a technical one. I am working on a quiz, and at the end of one of the "interesting information" sections, there is a HUGE section of empty space. How do I get rid of it? Thanks to all, Janet

I think it should go under "World/languages/Hebrew" as it is Hebrew.

Moderator:  agony