Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#474004 - Mon Jun 01 2009 12:05 PM June 2009 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Gatsby722

Wednesdays - JaneMarple
Thursdays - Deepakmr
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

**Although I am now back from my holiday, I won't be returning to hosting yet and will take a break for the month of June too. Most probably I will be playing and trying to play all rounds.

I am really really grateful to Gatsby for covering Tuesdays while I was away in May - Thank you Sir!
I am not sure that he will want to do it for this month too, so even if I left his name on the list for the moment, he's not obligated to accept and it's for him to decide.

#474005 - Mon Jun 01 2009 01:53 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday June 1 – Quiz

Various.

1) ‘L’ plate drivers – (In case it’s called differently else where, these are normal cars with normal plate numbers but with a removable ‘L’ plate added to indicate learner driver on board.) Driving around my home area, I have noticed a number of ‘L’ plated cars on the roads. Ah, brings back memories of spending many hours and many dollars to get that tiny piece of paper entitling me to borrow my parents’ car. Please give me any one of the common driving mistakes as listed on this page. One mistake not listed but I’ve seen time and time again on the roads: when cars are changing lanes, they tend to only look at traffic in the next lane. I’ve seen a car in lane 1 moving to lane 2 and at the same time a car in lane 3 moving to lane 2. Both drivers see the opportunity to move into the same spot in lane 2 but don’t see each other. Fortunately all I’ve seen are near misses, urgent swerving of cars accompanied by angry honkings and lots of raised fists. Be very careful new drivers.

2) The Shining – I watched the movie years ago and only just got around to reading the book. Knowing how much story lines tend to change between book and movie adaptation, I should not have been surprised (but was!) by how different Stephen King’s story was from the movie version. The seemingly innocuous words “Here’s Johnny” is one of the most memorable dialogue (and scariest moments) from the movie. The lead character from the movie is the number 25 villain on AFI’s 100 Years…100 Heroes and Villains list. Please name a villain that is listed in the 5 names before –or- the 5 names following. Just the character name please.

3) Happiness – Raised during a discussion in a class I was attending: Bhutan’s Gross National Happiness (“GNH”) index. At the heart of the Bhutan government’s policies with regard to social, economic, political changes is fulfillment of GNH. Criticism of the GNH cites subjectivity of its measurement as the main concern. It’s an interesting thought though, that my government would be as concerned about how happy I am as they are about the GDP, and not only at election time. Leaving governments aside, here are some happiness tips. Please give me a tip that contains the word ‘happy’ or a variation of the word ‘happy’. A tip may consist of more than one sentence. Just need the sentence that fulfills the requirement.

4) Arlington ladies – I was reading an article which happened to mention the Arlington ladies. I had to find out more. I now know that they are a group of women volunteers who ensures that one volunteer will be present at every Army funeral held at Arlington cemetery. The group was formed in 1973 as a result of people noticing that there were soldiers being buried without family or friends present. Their aim is to honor the soldiers buried at Arlington as well as to provide sympathy and condolences to family members and friends of the deceased if they are present. On the home page of the Arlington cemetery website, there is a 2 sentence summary of what the cemetery represents. Please give me any word from that summary that ends with any of the letters A-R-M-Y.

5) Summer – Kids look forward to summer holidays, great weather, no school. Parents on the other hand…. . One way to keep your child (or your inner child) safely occupied is to get involved in a craft project. Art Attack is a UK children’s TV show that shows you how to create interesting art pieces often using ordinary household objects. Please go to the Art Attack website and give me the name of an art project that begins with the letter ‘B’ (in honor of Brandy who is snoozing beside me).

This round will close on Sunday 7 June at noon FT time. Gentle Monday to all.

Edited to change date of round

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Mon Jun 01 2009 09:04 PM)

#474006 - Tue Jun 02 2009 07:30 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 2 ~ Tuesday

This Round came as a result of a television interview I saw recently. A kind-faced little old lady being grilled - one I was shocked to learn was newly out of prison, given parole on a life sentence? Good heavens, she looked like everybody's sweet elderly spinster great-aunt! I watched, intrigued, and was all kinds of shocked to find out who she was! This "dear ol' Aunty" person had tried to blow a U.S. President's head off with a .38 caliber pistol a few decades ago? Hard to believe ...

1. Sara Jane Moore (born Sara Jane Kahn on February 15, 1930) attempted to assassinate U.S. President Gerald Ford on September 22, 1975, outside the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco, California ~ just seventeen days after Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme had also tried to kill the president. Both failed, of course, but I have a hunch Mr. Ford never looked at female strangers in a crowd, especially (even slightly) shifty-looking ones, the same for quite some time after such "excitement". A native of Charleston, West Virginia, Moore was a former nursing school student, Women's Army Corps recruit, and accountant. She'd married and divorced five times (!) and had four children before she turned to revolutionary politics in 1975. This time, let's look at her home state a bit. I'm needing to know a city or town (no 'unincorporated' communities, please ~ and don't use Charleston) in Kanawha County, West Virginia.

2. The Westin St. Francis Hotel (bungled presidential assaults aside) is a fine, beautiful historical landmark in San Francisco - its legacy goes back to when it remained standing, fully undamaged, after the earthquake there in 1906. Lots o' world leaders have stayed there, too - not to mention many Golden Era celebrities like Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, George M. Cohan, cowboy star Tom Mix, Isadora Duncan, Fatty Arbuckle, D.W. Griffith and Cecil B. DeMille (among countless others, over the years). None of whom have reportedly been shot at while staying there, either, I should add. The Clock is a restaurant/bar in the hotel, that part of it now run by Michael Mina, a SF-based 'high end' restaurant management company. Kindly tell me a *featured cocktail* at the Clock Bar (the drinks menu is referred to as the *Clock Bar Book*).

3. America has, now and then, a very checkered track record when it comes to how we sustain and/or honor our civilian "heroes" (sometimes we drop the ball on the NON-civilian ones, too ... but that's a different topic ). Oliver Sipple was the true hero that day. He was simply a fellow in the crowd who managed to grab Miss Moore's arm (once he spotted her weapon being pointed), making the bullet land a far distance from the President. Thereafter the story crumbles, though. Sipple was a mostly 'under-the-radar sort' ... it would seem all the disabled former Marine truly wanted was to live his life, be just a face in the crowd. Recent honorable movies aside, Harvey Milk wasn't always the epitome of "rightness" that many like to think. Seeing the opportunity, he "outed" Sipple, mostly as means to empower his own social agenda. "Gay Man Saves President's Life", and so forth. Mr. Sipple did not want "outed", rest assured. His bravery that fateful day, ultimately, destroyed his life ! Author Harold Evans addresses Oliver Sipple in his most famous work, "The American Century", which was critically acclaimed in 1998. Select any sentence from the first OR last paragraph in Evans' short page on Oliver Sipple in that book.

4. Moore pleaded guilty to attempted assassination and was sentenced to life in prison. At her sentencing hearing she stated: "Am I sorry I tried? Yes and no. Yes, because it accomplished little except to throw away the rest of my life. And, no, I'm not sorry I tried, because at the time it seemed a correct expression of my anger." In 1979, Moore escaped from the Alderson Federal Prison Camp in West Virginia, but was recaptured in hours. She was then transferred to a more secure facility, and she served the remainder of her term at the federal women’s prison in Dublin, California. In an interview in 2004, former President Ford described Sara Jane as "off her mind" (now there's a shocking summation, isn't it? -- are we to assume that all those OTHER people out there who pack heat while intending to murder world leaders are "on their right mind", then ?). At any rate, please tell me a digit in the phone number, fax number OR ZIP code of Alderson Prison in West Virginia, where Sara Jane Moore was initially jailed.

5. It gets worse. Moore's friends said she had a deep fascination and obsession with Patty Hearst!? After Hearst was kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army, dad Randolph Hearst created 'People in Need' (P.I.N.) to feed the poor, in order to answer S.L.A. claims that the elder Hearst was "committing 'crimes' against 'the people.'" Sara was a bookkeeper for P.I.N. and an FBI informant (yikes!) when she attempted to assassinate Ford. An FBI informant? Honestly, if Sara Moore was qualified to be such a thing, then my question is: "who isn't and/or wasn't?" Either our Sara was more duplicitous than seems logical (no offense to her, I reckon, but I get the distinct impression that the woman isn't overwhelmed with intelligence) OR the FBI would stick anybody on their 'snitch list'! The Symbionese Liberation Army (S.L.A.) was an American self-styled urban guerrilla warfare group active between 1973 and 1975 that considered itself a "revolutionary vanguard army". The group committed bank robberies, murders and other acts of violence, if anybody's forgotten. Please name a FOUNDING member of that (ever-so-upstanding ~ ahem ) *organization*.

This Round will close up on Sunday, June 7, around noon, OK? Have a better-than-good week!

#474007 - Wed Jun 03 2009 06:29 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 3rd June 2009
Q1 Something found in the garden
Q2 A suit in a standard pack of cards
Q3 A card game
Q4 A Disney main character that is female (human)
Q5 A category in Funtrivia quizzes – e.g. Literature. (So Literature isn't allowed now!)

This closes over the weekend

#474008 - Thu Jun 04 2009 07:06 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Round 4 – Thursday

I visited an amusement park recently and that gave me the idea for the theme for this round - Amusement parks.

Q1: Amusement parks are a place for the whole family to enjoy. The very first amusement park was in Denmark and was opened way back in 1583. The various thrilling rides bring visitors to amusement parks in droves. The roller-coaster is of course one of the most popular and thrilling ride in an amusement park. Kingda Ka in New Jersey is believed to be the tallest and fastest roller-coaster in the world; from its Wiki page, please tell me any of the numerical data associated with the roller-coaster. (you can refer the right hand side box on the page)

Q2: The Ferris wheel is another popular ride at most amusement parks. The first Ferris wheel was built in 1893 for an exhibition. Apart from amusement parks, Ferris wheels are available at other places (known as observation wheels or eyes) also. From Wikipedia, please tell me the name of any of the top ten tallest Ferris wheels in the world (the ones under construction may be left out).

Q3 : Apart from the thrilling land rides, water rides are equally popular. There are a number of water rides for visitors to enjoy in amusement parks. The Wave pool (though not a ride) is a popular attraction in amusement parks. Visitors can experience the feel of ocean waves on a concrete beach. This link has all the information you need to know about wave pools. From these pages, please tell me any of the five basic parts of a wave pool or any of the four components of an air-powered wave pool.

Q4 : The amusement park that I visited recently is called Wonderla and is located on the outskirts of Bangalore and has more than 50 types of rides, grouped as water rides, dry rides and kid rides. Please take a look at the website of Wonderla and tell me any of the water rides(excluding the pools).

Q5 : Safety is a critical issue in amusement parks. The nature of the rides in these parks makes it all the more important to focus on safety. While researching the round, I came across this frightening page which talks about amusement park accidents (If you read this, you will probably think twice before visiting a park again). Generally, most of the accidents in amusement parks happen not because of the park’s negligence, but because of carelessness of visitors. This page has a list of ten safety tips for visitors to amusement parks, please tell me any one of them.

This round will close on 9th June, Tuesday. Have a great week

#474009 - Fri Jun 05 2009 08:58 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 5

At Hobart and William Smith Colleges there has always been an emphasis on a good rounded liberal arts education. Back when I was there in the 60s and even still today the core of this education has been a group of multi-disciple required courses called Western Civilization. During the first year the course (Western Civilization I) started with the Ancient Near East and went to 1648. The course was an amalgam of history, religion, literature, and philosophy. All of the professors in those disciplines were called upon to teach these courses both in large lectures and small seminars. This will be the Western Civilization I Round.

1. As I remember, the very first item we encountered in the course was the Enuma Elish, the ancient Babylonian creation myth dating from as early as the 18th century BC. It tells of Marduk’s fight for supremacy among the gods and the creation of mankind for the service of the gods. Using the translation of L. W. King, please tell me the first line of one of the Seven Tablets of Creation that make up the Enuma Elish.

2. The Greek philosophers and Greek playwrights were an important component of our studies. Aeschylus is recognizes as one of the greatest of the Greek tragedians. There are six surviving tragedies that are universally accepted as being by Aeschylus and another that was attributed to him by ancient authors but which is now questioned. Give me the name of any of these seven plays.

3. The Bible, of course, was included as a major influence on Western Civilization. It was here at Hobart that I learned of the textual criticism of the Bible that seeks out the true sources for the material found in the Bible. Q is a theoretical collection of Jesus’ sayings written in Greek which was one of the textual sources of the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. No such document has ever been found however. Wikipedia gives a list of “Notable contents of Q,” please give me an item on this list that begins with the word “The.”

4. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer was one of the medieval texts that we studied. This site provides in parallel both the original Middle English and the modern translation of The Canterbury Tales. Please give me one of the first 11 numbered lines of the Middle English version of The Canterbury Tales.

5. The year 1648 (the end year of Western Civilization I) is the year of the Peace of Westphalia, marking the end of both the Thirty Years War between England and France and the Eighty Year War between Spain and the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands. The Peace of Westphalia resulted from the first modern diplomatic congress and initiated a new order in central Europe based on the concept of state sovereignty. The treaties that encompass the Pease of Westphalia formally recognized the independence of 10 political entities. Please give me the name of one of these territories.

This round will end noonish on Wednesday, June 10. If you have a problem with any of the questions, please just send me a message and I will be glad to help. Enjoy the weekend.

#474010 - Sat Jun 06 2009 09:04 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hi all, reminder that Round 1 is scheduled to close in approximately 26 hours.

And it has come to my attention that the linked page for Q3 has been updated/changed. It previously had 17 happiness tips and now shows just 3 points totally unrelated to my Q3. If anyone needs the 17 tips, just PM me and I will send you the full list.

That's all from me. Happy weekend everyone!

#474011 - Sat Jun 06 2009 09:29 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
And here I come honking my horn, too . Round 2 will be a wrap in just over 24 hours as well!

#474012 - Sun Jun 07 2009 09:31 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 2 - Tuesday
"Sara Jane Moore"
Six bullet-proof players !

1. I'm needing to know a city or town (no 'unincorporated' communities, please ~ and don't use Charleston) in Kanawha County, West Virginia.

For 10 Points:
Handley
For 5 Points:
Cedar Grove (2), Marmet (3)

LOTS more available on this one: Dunbar, Montgomery, Nitro, Smithers, St. Albans, Belle, Chesapeake, Clendenin, East Bank, Glasgow and Pratt.

2. Kindly tell me a *featured cocktail* at the Clock Bar (the drinks menu is referred to as the *Clock Bar Book*).

For 10 Points:
Relampago (Diplomatico rum, pear liqueur, fresh lemon, qi smoked black tea liqueur), Sage Advice (Rittenhouse 80, Averna, fresh squeezed orange juice, black tea honey syrup, Peychaud's bitters)
For 5 Points:
Cunningham (Johnny Walker Black, Benedictine, cherry brandy, lemon, blood orange juice) (2), English Breakfast (Earl Grey infused 209 gin, Grand Marnier, orange marmalade, fresh lemon, egg white) (2)

Or you might like a Chartreuse Swizzle, Ginger Rogers, Paddington, Scottish Mule or a 'Snap' ...

3. Select any sentence from the first OR last paragraph in Evans' short page on Oliver Sipple in that book ("The American Century").

For 10 Points:
Just three weeks before in Sacramento, Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a deranged acolyte of the murderous cult leader Charles Manson, had got within a few yards of the President with a loaded gun; Already listless, he drifted into alcoholism and drug dependency, finally taking his own life; It was a sorry end to a heroic act-and the beginning of an issue that would roil the gay community and identity politics in the decades to come; Did anyone have a right to "out" someone else?
For 5 Points:
She had failed to get a shot off, but now the Secret Service was watching a small crowd of protesters across the street (2)

Oliver "Bill" Sipple, a paunchy former Marine and high school football star, aged 33, was walking past San Francisco's St. Francis Hotel on September 22, 1975, when President Ford emerged -and- Exposure was too much for Sipple ~ were the other two sentences. Interesting note: I was very alive during that assassination attempt, but had never even heard of Sipple until I prepared these questions! Very sad story, his .

4. At any rate, please tell me a digit in the phone number, fax number OR ZIP code of Alderson Prison in West Virginia, where Sara Jane Moore was initially jailed.
The pertinent numbers are: (304) 445-3300 (land line), (304) 445-3320 (fax) and 24910 (ZIP code)

For 10 Points:
2, 9
For 5 Points:
3 (2), 4 (2)

0, 1 and 5 are the only ones not chosen, then.

5. Please name a FOUNDING member of that (ever-so-upstanding ~ ahem ) *organization* (the S.L.A.).

For 10 Points:
-- No one, this time ...
For 5 Points:
Angela Atwood (aka General Gelina) (2), Donald DeFreeze (aka General Field Marshal Cinque Mtume) (2), Joseph Remiro (aka Bo) (2)

The others were: William Wolfe (aka Cujo), Patricia Soltysik, (aka Mizmoon Soltysik/Zoya), Camilla Hall (aka Gabi), Nancy Ling Perry (aka Fahizah), Emily Harris (aka Yolanda) and William Harris (aka Teko).

The Results!

40 Points! .... Mugaboo
35 Points! .... szabs
30 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr, denni19, maninmidohio

Kudos to Mr. Mugaboo, who managed to top the board this time ! Thank you all for playing ... have a great week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Jun 07 2009 09:33 AM)

#474013 - Sun Jun 07 2009 12:19 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 1 Round – Answers

Various had six great players.

1) Please give me any one of the common driving mistakes as listed on this page.
For Ten Points: Inattention/distraction, Not wearing a seat belt, Not yielding the right of way, Running red lights
For Five Points: Following another vehicle too closely
Not mentioned: Aggressive driving, Driving after taking medicine, Driving too fast in bad conditions.

2) The lead character from the movie (“The Shining”) is the number 25 villain on AFI’s 100 Years…100 Heroes and Villains list. Please name a villain that is listed in the 5 names before –or- the 5 names following.
For Ten Points: Eve Harrington, Mrs. John Iselin
For Five Points: Max Cady (4)
Not mentioned: Cody Jarrett, Gordon Gekko, Man, Martian, Reverend Harry Powell, The Terminator, Travis Bickle.

3) Here are some happiness tips. Please give me a tip that contains the word ‘happy’ or a variation of the word ‘happy’.
For Ten Points: Be happy for each day that you awaken to a fresh new morning, Happiness is being grateful for being alive, Stay in the fight of life and win the prize of happiness, Think yourself happy
For Five Points: Display courage and strength by being happy despite what events occur (2)
Not mentioned: The site has updated/changed the linked page but I have got the full list of happiness tips in case anyone wants it.

4) On the home page of the Arlington cemetery website, there is a 2 sentence summary of what the cemetery represents. Please give me any word from that summary that ends with any of the letters A-R-M-Y.
For Ten Points: For, Honor, Member, Or
For Five Points: Family (2)
Not mentioned: A, Annually, Cemetery, Four, History, Many, Opportunity, Remember, Say, War.

5) Please go to the Art Attack website and give me the name of an art project that begins with the letter ‘B’ (in honor of Brandy who is snoozing beside me).
For Ten Points: Biro N Wash, Bit By Bit Straight Lines, Blend Your Chalk With Paper, Blow Dried Hair, Bonfire Silhouettes, Bread Rubber
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Balloon Mobile, Beady Eyes, Best Friend Rosette, Big Feet, Big Hands, Bin Bog Monster, Bird Bottle Bank, Blue Metallic Shine Lines, Body Shapes, Bookworm Bookends, Bookworm Bookmark, Boring Old Book, Bring ‘Em To Life, Broken Heart, Bug Eyed Bugs, Bug Marks.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Deepak, Szabs & Maninmidohio Great job and congratulations to our three winners!

Other Results:
40 points: Mugaboo & Gatsby
35 points: Denni

My grateful thanks to all the players. See you tomorrow.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Mon Jun 08 2009 03:33 AM)

#474014 - Sun Jun 07 2009 04:03 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 3 - Wednesday - closes in about 10 hours

#474015 - Mon Jun 08 2009 07:04 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 4 (Amusement Parks) will close in around 24 hours from now. There's plenty of time for trivia round veterans and newcomers to send in their answers.

#474016 - Mon Jun 08 2009 10:16 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 3rd June 2009 results

Q1 Something found in the garden
FOR TEN POINTS:
Tap, Hedge, Thrips, Bird feeder, Pond (water feature),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Snails/ Slugs (2) ,
NOT MENTIONED:
Bids, Weeds and more

Q2 A suit in a standard pack of cards
FOR TEN POINTS:
Hearts,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Clubs (3), Spades (3),
NOT MENTIONED:
Diamonds

Q3 A card game
FOR TEN POINTS:
Uno, Happy Families, Canasta, Speed, Pinochle, Property of a Lady, Mus,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Rummy, Snap and more

Q4 A Disney main character that is female (human)
FOR TEN POINTS:
May, Snow White, Pocahontas, Jasmine, Mary Poppins, Tanana (shaman woman in "Brother Bear"), Fran Garrison (The Ugly Dachshund),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Alice, Snow White and more

Q5 A category in Funtrivia quizzes – e.g. Literature. (So Literature isn't allowed now!)
FOR TEN POINTS:
Humanities, People, For Children, Sci/Tech, Geography, Entertainment, Geography,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Religion, Hobbies and more

COMPETITORS - 7
Gatsby – 50
Deepakmr – 45
Denni – 45
Mugaboo - 45
Szabs – 45
Brandz_mygirl – 40
Maninmidohio - 40

Well done to Gatsby

#474017 - Mon Jun 08 2009 10:52 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday June 8 – Quiz

Just a little more about Singapore.

1) Water – Singapore relies mostly on rainfall for water, which it collects in one of its many reservoirs. However, due to limited land spaces and a large urban population, relying on rainfall alone is insufficient to meet demands. Singapore has to source water from other areas. These include buying water from Malaysia, recycling waste water and desalination. Water conservation is also encouraged. Please name any one of Singapore’s 15 main reservoirs.

2) Please give me any one of the 10 free ‘must do’ things for visitors to Singapore according to this site.

3) Fish – Singapore is the top ornamental fish exporter in the world. I had this vague idea what ornamental fish are but looked it up anyway for this question. In a nutshell, ornamental fish are those fish not intended for human consumption. Ornamental fish must also be attractive or at least interesting enough for people to want to look at and must be able to fit into a home aquarium or small pond. Qian Hu Corporation is one of Singapore’s largest ornamental fish exporters. If you would please proceed to the company’s website and look for the beginner’s tips section. Please give me any one of the sub-tips under the main Tips 4 and 5.

4) Singapore Health Services or Singhealth runs the public health services in the country. It provides a very useful search feature on its website, finding a GP/family clinic near you. Please give me the name of such a clinic in the area of Redhill.

5) Englishman Neil Humphreys wrote 3 humorous books about Singapore. He lived in Singapore for some years and didn’t follow the usual expatriate style of living. Instead he tried living as an average Singapore would. I read and enjoyed his first book. There are 7 paragraphs in the acknowledgements section (right at the front of the book) of that first book. Please give me the first sentence from any of those paragraphs. In a couple of instances, the entire paragraph consists of only one sentence.

Am very relieved to get another Monday round out, albeit very (VERY!) late Monday. This round will close on Sunday 14 June at noon FT time. Hope everyone had a very gentle Monday and will have a great Tuesday.

#474018 - Tue Jun 09 2009 05:53 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 9 ~ Tuesday

They're pretty much a 50-50 bet at my house, but this time of year marks the finales of several popular "reality TV shows". Some of these programs I get enthused about to an almost unnatural level , but many others are pretty much brainless rhubbish, in my opinion. This Round looks at some of the recent winners in ones I've been known to have a *look* at, once in a while ...

1. James "J.T." Thomas, Jr. (born June 23, 1984) was named the winner of the American television series "Survivor: Tocantins" on May 17, receiving all seven of the votes cast by the jury of his former competitors. This was a classic case of "nice guys CAN finish first", too. J.T. is your basic homespun, hard-working and put-your-best-foot-forward (while always smiling, o' course) sort - his victory landed on him very nicely. He's also only the sixth person to win Survivor's million dollar prize without receiving any votes cast against him at Tribal Council. In conjunction with that, Survivor itself was named #1 on Entertainment Weekly's *20 Best Reality-TV Shows Ever* recently, too. So ... in an effort to really test the odds on how often repeated answers can (or hopefully CAN'T ) happen ... I need to know two things this time: the name of one of the seven jurors on Survivor: Tocantins who awarded Mr. Thomas his victory. Also, I'd like to know another [not "Survivor"] of those "Best" Reality Shows that made the Top Ten on *Entertainment Weekly*'s list. Two answers on this one, then ...

2. Never fear -- naturally, there's an "American Idol" question ... especially since a new winner was named on May 20. That guy'd be the low-under-the-radar and entirely talented Kris Allen, a 23-year old (also extremely likable) young man from Conway, Arkansas. Against all odds, Mr. Allen emerged from almost deliberate anonymity amongst other contestants early in the season who were FAR more favored by the production staff (he was what we Idol-heads call "cannon fodder": put in the mix of finalists just to fill out the roster, and 'supposed' to be voted off ASAP). America had other ideas for Kris Allen, though. His take on songs was startlingly refreshing. Unique, personalized, perfect fits ~ one especially notable show being his laid-back, acoustic version of Kanye West's R&B hit "Heartless". Kanye West's version of "Heartless" is on the album "808s & Heartbreak", the hip-hop artist's fourth studio album (released in November 2008). Please name a track off that album that begins with a letter found in the names KANYE WEST or KRIS ALLEN..

3. Shawn Machel Johnson is an American artistic gymnast - not to mention the 2008 Olympic women's balance beam gold medalist, the individual all-around silver medalist, the 2007 all-around World Champion, and the 2007 and 2008 U.S. all-around champion. Not bad for a 16-year old, eh? Johnson's parents enrolled her in a gymnastics class at age three after they noticed her climbing up cabinets and jumping down from tables and, by the time she was six, she was in rigorous training. It's also important to say that she is also on the honor roll AND involved in many extra-curricular activities at her high school (all accomplished while training 20-25 hours a week). In 2009, Johnson was announced as a competitor on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" [Season 8]. She ended up both the youngest competitor AND ultimate winner in the history of the show, beating actor Gilles Marini by less than 1% of the vote. Even better, on April 15, 2009 Shawn Johnson was awarded the prestigious AAU James E. Sullivan Award, honoring the USA athlete who best represents "the qualities of leadership, character and sportsmanship". Kindly tell me another athlete who's won that award since (and including) the year 2000.

4. "The Biggest Loser: Couples 2" was the seventh season of the NBC reality television series. This show's NOT about being some lesser human being (not in terms of 'character' or talent, at least) - it deals with being lesser literally! The competitors are, in their own estimation(s), dangerously overweight and come to a makeshift camp to lose said weight -- training vigorously with Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels (who push these poor folks to the absolute limit, if you ask me ... but they get results). The prize, aside from feeling healthier and/or looking trimmer, is $250,000. Helen Phillips (who initially weighed in at 257 pounds) won the competition this year with a total weight loss percentage of 54.47% (aka 140 pounds, or 63.5 kg , the largest percentage ever on the program). Helen, 47 years old, hails from Sterling Heights, Michigan. Let's visit her hometown, shall we? I'd like to know an event scheduled at Sterling Heights (Michigan) Library for the last six months of 2009.

5. One of the most meteoric events in these "reality" (?) shows, ever, came this year ... with the emergence of a rather frumpy, unpolished spinster from the United Kingdom (who volunteers at church and has a beloved cat named Pebbles, too) on "Britain's Got Talent". Likely everyone with YouTube access - or even just a TV - has heard or knows about Susan Boyle, yes? She showed up in front of three [doubtful, visibly] celebrity judges and belted out a version of "I Dreamed A Dream" that left everyone speechless on April 11. Only one of the dozens of clips of her performance has been viewed 67,136,766 times, I just noticed ! Boyle became, after just a few minutes (and boasting the unexpected vocal chops of an angel), a global superstar. BUT, she failed to win "Britain's Got Talent" - coming in second to a diverse dance troupe called, well, Diversity. They consist of three sets of brothers and four of their friends, ranging in age from 13 to 25. Diversity has been confirmed as performers at the Wireless Festival in Hyde Park, London on July 5 (they will also appear before the Queen, o' course, as part of their prize). To close, please tell me another act that will play on the *Main Stage* at the O2 Wireless Festival, Sunday July 5, 2009 - the same stage whereupon Diversity will be dancing that day.

This one'll wrap up on Sunday, lunch time-ish. I'll send a 'shout-out' before it closes, as always. Have a fine June week, folks !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jun 09 2009 06:53 AM)

#474019 - Tue Jun 09 2009 07:01 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 4 – Thursday
Amusement Parks

Six cool players participated in this round.

Q1: Kingda Ka in New Jersey is believed to be the tallest and fastest roller-coaster in the world; from its Wiki page, please tell me any of the numerical data associated with the roller-coaster

For 10 points: Drop 418 ft; Height restriction 4 ft 6in; Max G-force approx 4-5; Acceleration 0 to 206 kmph in 3.5 sec; Length 3118 ft; Cost $25,000,000

For 5 points: none, all get 10 points

Not mentioned : Height 456 ft; 128 mph; Inversion 0; Duration 28 sec and Capacity 1400 riders per hour.

Q2: From Wikipedia, please tell me the name of any of the top ten Ferris wheels in the world.

For 10 points: Changsha Ferris Wheel; Diamonds and Flowers Wheel; Sky Dream Fukuoka;

For 5 points: The Southern Star (3)

Not mentioned : Singapore Flyer; Star of Nanchang; London Eye; Zhengzhou Ferris Wheel; Sky Wheel of Odaiba and Star of Tai Lake.

Q3: This link has all information you need to know about wave pools; from these pages, please tell me any of the five basic parts of a wave pool or any of the four components of an air-powered wave pool.

For 10 points: Butterfly valve; Series of release valves; Water-collection reservoir; Exhaust port

For 5 points: High speed fan (2)

Not mentioned : Hydraulic piston; Water-pumping system; Giant, slanted swimming pool and Return canal.

Q4: Please take a look at the website of Wonderla and tell me any of the water rides(excluding the pools).

For 10 points: Hara-kiri; Lazy river; Water pendulum; Wavy & vertical falls

For 5 points: Uphill Racers (2)

Not mentioned : Fun Racers; Banded Kraits; Twisters; Rain disco and Boomerang.

Q5: This page has a list of ten safety tips for visitors to amusement parks, please tell me any one of them.

For 10 points: Be aware of what is around you; Help the kids!; Stay cool and don’t get burned; Don’t cheat; Stay in to stay safe; Know your health

For 5 points: none, all get 10 points

Not mentioned : Stay away from where you don’t belong; Know your limits; Ride ‘er easy, cowboy and Alert staff about problems.

The final results:

50 points: Gatsby722 & Mugaboo
45 points: maninmidohio
40 points: brandz_mygirl, szabs and denni19

We have two winners for this round and they are Gatsby722 and Mugaboo. Both of them get a perfect score. Congrats to both our winners for winning a June trivia point. See you on Thursday, have a great week

#474020 - Tue Jun 09 2009 11:01 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 5, the Western Civilization I Round, will close in approximately 24 hours. Plenty of time to get in your answers, both old veterans and new players welcomed.

#474021 - Wed Jun 10 2009 02:50 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 10th June 2009
Q1 A film beginning with J
Q2 A song title beginning with J
Q3 A book title beginning with J
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with J
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with J
This round closes over the weekend

#474022 - Wed Jun 10 2009 12:17 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Results - Round 5

We had 7 great players for the Western Civilization I Round. Thanks to all of you for playing.

1. Using the translation of L. W. King please tell me the first line of one of the Seven Tablets of Creation that make up the Enuma Elish.

For 10 Points:
Tablet 5: He (Marduk) made the stations for the great gods; Tablet 6: When Marduk heard the word of the gods; and Tablet 7: O Asari, [Marduk] "Bestower of planting," "Founder of sowing"
For 5 Points: Tablet 3: Ansar opened his mouth, and (2) and Tablet 4: They prepared for him a lordly chamber, (2)
Not Chosen: Tablet 1: When in the height heaven was not named, and Tablet 2: Tiamat made weighty her handiwork,

2. Give me the names of any of these seven existing plays that are ascribed to Aescylus.

For 10 points:
The Persians and The Eumenides
For 5 Points: Seven against Thebes (3) and Agamemnon (2)
Not Chosen: The Suppliants, The Libation Bearers, and Prometheus Bound

3. Wikipedia gives a list of “Notable contents of Q,” please give me an item on this list that begins with the word “The.”

For 10 Points:
The Test of a Good Person, The Parable of the Wise and the Foolish Builders, The Parable of the Talents, The Parable of the blind leading the blind, and The Birds of Heaven and The Lilies in the Field
For 5 Points: The Parable of the Lost Sheep (2 )
Not Chosen: The Beatitudes , The Golden Rule , The Parable of the Wedding Feast, The Parable of the Leaven, and The Lord's Prayer

4. Please give me one of the first 11 numbered lines of the Middle English version of The Canterbury Tales.

Those lines in bold were chosen, those with a following number were chosen by more than one player:
1: Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
2: The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
3: And bathed every veyne in swich licour
4: Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
5: Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
6: Inspired hath in every holt and heeth

7: Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne (2)
8: Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
9: And smale foweles maken melodye,
10: That slepen al the nyght with open ye
11: (so priketh hem nature in hir corages);

5. The treaties that encompass the Peace of Westphalia formally recognized the independence of 10 political entities. Please give me the name of one of these territories.

For 10 Points:
Genoa, Mantua, and Parma
For 5 Points: Savoy (4)
Not Chosen: Netherlands, Switzerland, Milan, Tuscany, Lucca, and Modena

The Results:

With 45 Points: brandz_mygirl and denni19
With 40 Points: szabs and PDAZ
With 35 Points: Gatsby722 and deepakmr
With 25 Points: Mugaboo

It looks like the women took all of the higher scores in this round with brandz_mygirl and denni19 walking away with the honors for this round. To the both of them goes a Fun Trivia point for the month of June. A special honor goes to Mugaboo for having a perfect round, he was able to match another player with each of his answers – an extremely difficult feat only matched by me lately in one of Gats’ rounds. Thanks to all of you for playing – I hope to see you all for the follow-up Western Civilization II Round.

#474023 - Thu Jun 11 2009 02:50 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 11 – Thursday

This round is about yet another of my favourite authors Jeffrey Archer.

Q1: Lord Jeffrey Archer is a famous author and politician. He was deputy Chairman of the British Conservative party, a member of parliament and became a peer in 1992. He started his literary career with ‘Not a Penny more, not a penny less’ in 1976. His first novel was a success and launched his literary career. In his career of 33 years, he has authored more than 28 works. Please tell me any of the fiction novels of Jeffrey Archer, written in 1990s and 2000s.

Q2: Jeffrey Archer’s literary success is due to two reasons – one is the extensive research he does for his books and the second is the twists in his tales. It is the surprise endings that make Archer’s books popular. Archer’s short story collection "To Cut a long story short" features many tales, please tell me the title of any short story that is based on a real-life incident (The table of contents of the book should help you to find the answer).

Q3 : In 2000, Jeffrey Archer was the Tory candidate for the London Mayoral election. Just before the election, Archer was caught in a perjury scandal that not only resulted in his expulsion from the party but also resulted in a prison sentence. Archer of course, did not waste time in prison, he has brought out a three volume series on his prison experiences, which like all his books makes interesting reading and are bestsellers. Please visit Jeffrey Archer’s official website and from the FAQ’s section, tell me any of Archer’s favourite novels, as listed in that page.

Q4 : Most of Archer’s novels have been successful. His most successful novel is probably Kane and Abel. The success of the novel resulted in him repeating the characters in two other novels, one of which was a sequel. This page has a list of characters appearing in ‘Kane and Abel’. Please tell me the name of any of the male characters listed in the page.

Q5 : Jeffrey Archer was recently in India to promote his latest novel Paths of Glory. Archer has acquired celebrity status in India with people queuing up to meet him wherever he went. Please visit Archer’s official blog and tell me any the title of any of his blogs about his India visit (from 11 May to 19 May 2009).

This round will close on 16th June, Tuesday. Please send me a PM if you have clarifications for any of the questions. Have a great week

#474024 - Fri Jun 12 2009 11:16 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 12 Friday

Deidcated to the 12th of June.

1. The Virginia Declaration of Rights is a document drafted in 1776 to proclaim the inherent natural rights of men, including the right to rebel against "inadequate" government. In addition to affirming the inherent nature of natural rights to life, liberty, and property, the Declaration both describes a view of Government as the servant of the people, and enumerates various restrictions on governmental power. It influenced a number of later documents, including the United States Declaration of Independence , and the French Revolution's Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen. The Declaration was adopted unanimously by the Virginia Convention of Delegates on June 12, 1776. It was initially drafted by George Mason, for this reason he is considered as one of the "Founding Fathers" of the United States. Mason was also known for being quite a prolific father, would you please tell me the name of one of his twelve children.

2. The Philippine Declaration of Independence occurred on June 12, 1898, with the public reading of the Act of the Declaration of Independence, Filipino revolutionary forces under General Emilio Aguinaldo proclaimed the sovereignty and independence of the Philippine Islands from the colonial rule of Spain. The declaration, however, was not recognized by the United States or Spain. The Spanish government later ceded the Philippines to the United States in the 1898 Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish-American War. The Philippines is comprised of 7,107 islands, which are divided into three island groups: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao, and these in turn are divided into 17 regions. Please give me the name of one of the regions.

3. The Venera series of probes was developed by the USSR between 1961 and 1984 to gather data from Venus. Ten probes from the Venera series successfully landed on Venus and transmitted data from the surface. Venera 4 was launched on June 12 1967, it was the first successful probe to perform in-place analysis of the environment of another planet. It provided the first chemical analysis of the Venusian atmosphere. It provided the first direct measurements proving that Venus was extremely hot, and the atmosphere was far denser than expected. From the Venera 4 wiki page, please tell me any instrument that is mentioned in the first paragraph.

4. Russia Day is the national holiday of the Russian Federation, celebrated on June 12. It has been celebrated every year since 1994. The First Congress of People's Deputies of the Russian Federation adopted the Declaration of State Sovereignty of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic on June 12, 1990. The creation of the post of the President of the Russian Federation and the adoption of the new Russian Constitution were major landmarks in the consolidation of Russian statehood. I would think that it is fair to say that as a president of any country their agenda’s are quite hectic, so they are entitled to have a vacation residence or two… Could you give me the name of a vacation residence used by the President of the Russian Federation from here.

5. The digital television transition (also called the digital switchover (DSO) or analog switchoff (ASO), is the process in which analog television broadcasting is converted to and replaced by digital television. In many countries, a simulcast service is operated where a broadcast is made available to viewers in both analog and digital at the same time. On June 12th 2009 ( in other words today), the United States, broadcasters will be permanently turning off their analog signals which they've been using for more than six decades and moving to all-digital programming and with this all analog transmissions will be terminated. Could you please tell me another country where the transition has been completed, according to the wiki page.

This round will end on Wednesday 17th of June, noonish FT time. If you have any queries I am just a PM away. Have a great weekend.

#474025 - Sat Jun 13 2009 01:37 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 13 - Saturday 13th June

1. Please give me a member of the Missouri Caves Association.
2. Name a National Grassland in the United States.
3. There are six different Educational and Interpretive Programs available at Greenwater Lake Provincial Park in Saskatchewan, name one of them please.
4. There are six populations of Wood Bison in the wild and four captive breeding herds in Canada, name one of them.
5. Cancun is a modern city in Mexico, it only had three residence on a coconut plantation when it was founded in 1970. It now has a population of about 600,000. And a good place for tourists too, none of this Swine Flu has reached there yet. So take wander down to Carlos'n Charlie's Restaurant and give me an American or Mexican dish on the Menu.

Round will close at noon (FT time) in Thursday.

#474026 - Sat Jun 13 2009 11:45 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Just under 24 hours before Round 9 closes up!

#474027 - Sun Jun 14 2009 01:59 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round ten - Wednesday - closes tomorrow

#474028 - Sun Jun 14 2009 09:01 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 9 - Tuesday
"Reality TV Finales"
Six incredible players !

1. So ... in an effort to really test the odds on how often repeated answers can (or hopefully CAN'T ) happen ... I need to know two things this time: the name of one of the seven jurors on Survivor: Tocantins who awarded Mr. Thomas his victory. ALSO, I'd like to know another of those "Best" Reality Shows that made the Top Ten on *Entertainment Weekly*'s list. Two answers on this one, then ...

For 10 Points:
Tyson Apostol/"Top Chef"; Tamara "Taj" Johnson-George/"Top Chef"; Erinn Lobdell/"American Idol"; Erinn Lobdell/"Top Chef"; Brendan Synnott/"Top Chef"; Benjamin "Coach" Wade/"American Idol"

Whew ! No repeats after all! The other "Survivor" jurists were Sierra Reed and Debra "Debbie" Beebe. The rest of the Top Ten reality shows were "The Amazing Race", "The Osbournes", "Project Runway", "The Real World", "Jackass", "Project Greenlight" and "America's Next Top Model".

2. Please name a track off that album that begins with a letter found in the names KANYE WEST or KRIS ALLEN.

For 10 Points:
RoboCop
For 5 Points:
Say You Will (2), Street Lights (3)

'Amazing', 'Love Lockdown' and 'See You In My Nightmares' would have worked, too.

3. Kindly tell me another athlete who's won that award, the AAU James E. Sullivan Award, since (and including) the year 2000.

For 10 Points:
Rulon Gardner (wrestling, 2000), Sarah Hughes (figure skating, 2002), J. J. Redick (basketball, 2005), Tim Tebow, (football, 2007)
For 5 Points:
Michael Phelps (swimming, 2003) (2)

The others honored were Michelle Kwan (figure skating, 2001), Paul Hamm (gymnastics, 2004) and Jessica Long, (paralympic swimming, 2006).

4. I'd like to know an event scheduled at Sterling Heights (Michigan) Library for the last six months of 2009.

For 10 Points:
Ask the Lawyer Session, Creative Writing Workshop for Adults, Digital Cameras Demonstration, Mom's Club Book Discussion Group, Mr. Doodles, Star Wars Day

Lots more to choose from, including *Imagine That!*, *Chalk Drawing*, *Preschool Open House*, *Morning Movie Book Group*, *Young Rembrandts*, and so forth.

5. To close, please tell me another act that will play on the *Main Stage* at the O2 Wireless Festival on Sunday July 5,2009 - the same stage whereupon Diversity will be dancing that day.

For 10 Points:
Alesha Dixon, Kanye West, Noisettes, Q-Tip
For 5 Points:
N-Dubz (2)

Kelly Rowland and Young Jeezy will be there, too.

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, szabs
40 Points! .... deepakmr, maininmidohio, Mugaboo

The ladies reigned supreme on that one ! Congratulations (and a monthly scoreboard point) to brandz_mygirl, denni19 and szabs, in triplicate. Thanks, folks (girls AND guys), for playing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002