Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#474029 - Sun Jun 14 2009 10:39 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Just wanted to say that Round 8 will be closing in approximately 20 minutes. (I clean forgot to post an earlier 'round closing' warning. Sorry.)

I won't be making an official round closed post after this. I have sent acknowledgments to everyone who sent in answers. If you've sent in your answers but didn't get an acknowledgment, please let me know.

That's all from me for the mo.

#474030 - Sun Jun 14 2009 11:42 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 8 Round – Answers

Just a little more about Singapore had 5 lovely players. My thanks to all the players.

1) Please name any one of Singapore’s 15 main reservoirs.
For Ten Points: Marina, Murai, Sarimbun
For Five Points: Tengeh (2)
Not mentioned: Bedok, Jurong Lake, Kranji, Lower Peirce, Lower Seletar, MacRitchie, Pandan, Poyan, Pulau Tekong, Upper Peirce, Upper Seletar.

2) Please give me any one of the 10 free ‘must do’ things for visitors to Singapore according to this site.
For Ten Points: East Coast Park, Marina Bay, Queenstown in Singapore, Raffles Hotel, Singapore Botanic Garden
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Esplanade Theatres on the Bay, Little India, Merlion Park, National Library Singapore aka Lee Kong Chian Reference Library, Singapore City Gallery.

3) If you would please proceed to the company’s (Qian Hu Corporation) website and look for the beginner’s tips section. Please give me any one of the sub-tips under the main Tips 4 and 5.
For Ten Points: Check the health of the fish daily, Feed one or two times a day, Wash the filtering media using the water you have siphoned off the aquarium
For Five Points: Change the 1/4 to 1/3 of the water every 2-3 weeks or 10% once a week (2)
Not mentioned: As far as possible, use only pellet or flakes fish food and avoid live food or even frozen food, Do not feed more than what the fishes can consume in two to three minutes, If possible try to designate only one person in the household to feed the fish, Take out the excess food to avoid contaminating the water, Test the water quality every week or two.
Where the sub-tip consist of a few sentences, I have only included the first sentence above.

4) Singapore Health Services or Singhealth runs the public health services in the country. It provides a very useful search feature on its website, finding a GP/family clinic near you. Please give me the name of such a clinic in the area of Redhill.
For Ten Points: Healthlink Family Clinic & Surgery, Leong Clinic, Meden Clinic & Surgery
For Five Points: Pacific Family Clinic (2)
Not mentioned: Bukit Merah Clinic, Dr Steven Ang Aesthetic & Family Clinic, L&H Polyclinic and Surgery.

5) There are 7 paragraphs in the acknowledgements section (right at the front of the book) of that first book (“Notes from an Even Smaller Island”). Please give me the first sentence from any of those paragraphs. In a couple of instances, the entire paragraph consists of only one sentence.
For Ten Points:
- But I dedicate this book to the one person who stood over my shoulder every day to remind me that my writing was utter crap.
- For inspiration, I must acknowledge the people of Singapore (and Dagenham!).
- I will always be grateful to my publisher for being brave enough to take a risk with this work when others would not.
- This book would not have been possible without my dear friend David, who brought me to Singapore in the first place, and Scott, my old travelling partner.
- The support of my wonderful family has been vital and I thank my mother for always being there and for being a ‘real woman’.
Not mentioned:
- Some people say that writing a book is a torturous experience and, my God, I would have to agree with them.
- This one is for my best mate, Tracy, for always being my best mate.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Deepak Well done to our Deepak for winning the round with full points!

Other Results:
45 points: Gatsby, Mugaboo & Maninmidohio
35 points: Szabs

#474031 - Mon Jun 15 2009 08:31 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Round 11 (Jeffrey Archer) will be closing in about 24 hours from now. Trivia round veterans and newcomers are invited to send in their answers

#474032 - Mon Jun 15 2009 01:12 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday June 15 – Quiz

Brandy related.

1) From this page, please tell me the name of a food you should never feed your dog. No drinks and no non-foods please.

2) In one’s misspent youth, one may have taken part in a drinking game or two, maybe more. Please choose such a game from here that comes with an extremely high buzz level.

3) Battersea Dogs & Cats Home is a registered charity (patron is the Queen) situated in London. Its aim is never to turn away a dog or cat in need of help. It’s a wonderful place, funded solely by donations from the public. Under their dog behaviour advice section, please name any one of the topics covered. 8 to choose from.

4) From here, please give me an ingredient for a ‘zombie’ cocktail. No garnishes please.

5) Please give me any word that rhymes with ‘Brandy’.

This round will close on Sunday 21 June at noon FT time. Gentle Monday wishes to one and all.

#474033 - Mon Jun 15 2009 01:42 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 10th June 2009 results

Q1 A film beginning with J
FOR TEN POINTS:
Jurassic Park, "J D Salinger Doesn't Want to Talk", Judge Priest (1934), Jailhouse Rock, John and Mary (1969), Jumpin Jack Flash, Journey to the Beginning of Time (1955), Journey to the Sun,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Jumanji and more

Q2 A song title beginning with J
FOR TEN POINTS:
"Johnny, Johnny Come Home" – Avalanche, "Justicia, Tierra Y Libertad" (Mana), Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (JS Bach), Just walking in the rain, Jerry Weintraub (Waldeck), Just the Two of Us, 'Jenny Dreamed Of Trains' (by John Denver), Jumpin' With Symphony Sid (Joe Jackson),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Jingle Bells and more

Q3 A book title beginning with J
FOR TEN POINTS:
“Just William” – Richmal Crompton, Junie B. Jones and her Big Fat Mouth (Barbara Park?), Jarka Ruus (Terry Brooks), Judas Kiss, J is for Judgment (Sue Grafton), Just So stories, "Jump Shot Detectives" (by Franklin W Dixon), Joplin’s Ghost ( Tananarive Due),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
James and the Giant Peach (Roald Dahl) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with J
FOR TEN POINTS:
Justices, Jeopardy, Jaundice, Jailbird, Judicial, Jocosity,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Jingoism (2) ,
NOT MENTIONED:
Juggling and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with J
FOR TEN POINTS:
Jackfruit, jimmies (what us normal folk refer to as sprinkles), Juniper, Jalapeno, Jaffa cakes, Jambalaya, Jarlsberg cheese, Jameed,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Jam and more

COMPETITORS – 8 players
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Chessart – 50
Lizard_wizard – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs – 50
Deepakmr – 45
Gatsby – 45
Well done to Bandz_mygirl, Chessart, Lizard_Wizard, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo and Szabs

#474034 - Tue Jun 16 2009 06:16 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 16 ~ Tuesday

The Antoinette Perry Awards (aka 'Tonys') were handed out on June 7. I'm a true sucker for the telecast -- gives one the opportunity to see snippets of the shows running in NYC that people like me will likely never get to see, for real. Good fun! These questions are about some of the winners (and one about this year's host, too).

1. Billy Elliot: The Musical was the big winner at the 63rd annual Tony Awards, o' course. The show received fifteen nominations (being nominated in every category in which it was eligible, no less) - ultimately winning ten of them, including Best Musical. Originally a feature film released in 2000, and directed by Stephen Daldry, it tells the entirely engaging story of motherless young Billy, who trades away his boxing gloves so as to throw himself, heart and soul, into his "real" passion: ballet. The story of his personal struggle and fulfillment are balanced against a counter-story of family (his struggling father a key player in the mix) and community strife caused by the eighties' coal miners' strike in Northern England. As had happened prior at The Olivier Awards (but to different actors) three young men were named Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical this year for the Elton John-driven show, each lad playing different 'sides' of Billy, and the man who played Billy's "Dad" was a winner, too (for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical). To start, please tell me the first or last name of any of those four actors who picked up Tony Awards this month for their roles in Billy Elliot ...

2. One of the more compelling-sounding musicals (in my opinion, anyway) that did well at the awards show this year is a new rock musical that earned 11 nominations ~ winning Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical (Alice Ripley) and Best Original Score. Next to Normal tells the rocky story of an otherwise sturdy woman who is struggling with bipolar disorder and the effect that her illness has on her family. The musical also takes on such issues as grieving a loss, suicide, drug abuse, ethics in modern psychiatry, and suburban life in conjunction with the woman's personal demons. It wastes no time impacting, either ... the very first scene introduces suburban mother Diana Goodman as she waits up late for her curfew-breaking son, comforts her anxious and overachieving daughter, hurries off for some sex with her husband, then rises to help prepare her family for "Just Another Day." But when her lunchmaking takes a turn for the bizarre with sandwiches covering the table, chairs, and floor, the rest realize something is very [very] wrong. In the New York Daily News review of the play (published on April 16, 2009), the praise was solid. Tell me any word that appears in the very first sentence of that "thumbs up" review, please.

3. V-e-r-y hard to believe, somehow. The groundbreaking musical Hair made its debut forty years ago, now --- but manages to come back to life on Broadway playing to mass appeal again and again. This year it was named Best Revival of a Musical, and didn't really "change" very much that it had to offer back in '68. The story is, pretty much, a timeless one. In it, a naive farm boy from Oklahoma named Claude heads to New York City to enlist in the Army and serve in the Vietnam War. In Central Park, he meets a troupe of free-spirited hippies led by a young man named Berger, who introduces him to a young, lovely (but probably out-of-his-reach) debutante named Sheila. Inevitably, Claude is sent off to boot camp in Nevada, but Berger and his band of merry pranksters do what they can to rescue Claude from a tour of duty in Asia. The style of the show is infectious - the cast moving into the audience at times, the emphasis on 'peace and love' inclusive and the bittersweet, idealistic zeal of the youth properly landing like fireworks. This time all I'm wondering is the name of any actor that took on the roles of Sheila, Claude or Berger on opening night [Broadway only] in the show's run(s) in 1968, 1977, 2004 or 2009.

4. The Norman Conquests is a trilogy of plays written in 1973 by Alan Ayckbourn. The small scale of the drama is typical of Ayckbourn -- there are only six characters, and each of the plays depicts the same six characters over the same weeks. Just in different parts of the house. 'Table Manners' is set in the dining room, 'Living Together' in the living room, and 'Round and Round the Garden' in (go figure ) the garden. Each play is self-contained, and they may be watched in any order with some of the scenes overlapping, and on several occasions a character's exit from one play corresponds with an entrance in another. The plays were not written to be performed simultaneously, although Ayckbourn did achieve that some twenty-five years later - and it's one large play, a combination of those other three, that hit Broadway this year and was named Best Revival of a Play. The original trilogy opened on The Great White Way in 1975. Tell me any of the six actors who opened the show back then, on Broadway only. Or, if you'd prefer, you may answer any one of the names of the six characters in the story/stories.

5. Neil Patrick Harris definitely deserves a mention here. The 35-year old former child TV star has proven his mettle lately - perhaps first and foremost for simply surviving the transition from said child star to bona fide adult success. He's done his share of theater, too, and even got to sing a little as he performed his duties as host at the 63rd Annual Tony Awards. It was NOT an easy job, either, by the looks of it. Sets fell crashing onto former rock star's heads. Audio equipment failed. But Harris never lost his footing, not once, and kept the show rolling like a pro - injecting self-deprecating humor and a fine load of charm as he went. Neil's initial claim to fame was the television series "Doogie Howser, M.D.", which debuted in 1989. It followed the adventures of a brilliant (and incredibly young ... only 15 years old) doctor who also faces the problems of being a *normal* teenager. The series was created by heavy-hitters Steven Bochco & David E. Kelley, whose foray into comedy-drama was a departure for them, but turned into a modest hit that lasted for four years. To wrap this up, please tell me an episode title of "Doogie Howser, M.D.", that first aired in September, October or November of 1989 (excluding "The Pilot").

This will close up on Sunday. Noon-ish. Have a great white week, folks, wherever/however you end up spending it !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jun 16 2009 07:03 AM)

#474035 - Tue Jun 16 2009 07:55 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 11 – Thursday
Jeffrey Archer

Six scintillating players participated in this round.

Q1: Please tell me any of the fiction novels of Jeffrey Archer, written in 1990s and 2000s

For 10 points: The Fourth Estate; Honour among Thieves; False Impression; Sons of Fortune; The Eleventh Commandment; A Prisoner of Birth

For 5 points: none, all get 10 points

Not mentioned : As the Crow Flies; The Gospel According to Judas and Paths of Glory.

Q2: Archer’s short story collection To Cut a long story short features many tales, please tell me the title of any short story that is based on a real-life incident.

For 10 points: Love at First Sight; The Expert Witness; Both Sides against the Middle; Crime Pays

For 5 points: Something for Nothing (2);

Not mentioned : A Change of Heart; Too Many Coincidences; A Weekend to Remember and The Reclining Woman.

Q3: Please visit Jeffrey Archer’s official website and from the FAQ’s section, tell me any of Archer’s favourite novels, as listed in that page.

For 10 points: The 39 Steps; The Prodigy;

For 5 points: Of Mice and Men (2) ; The Count of Monte Cristo (2)

Not mentioned : A Tale of Two Cities; A Diamond As Big as the Ritz and Sword of Honour.

Q4: This page has a list of characters appearing in ‘Kane and Abel’. Please tell me the name of any of the male characters featured in the novel, as listed in the page.

For 10 points: Mathew Lester; Thaddeus Cohen

For 5 points: Richard Kane (2); George Nowak (2);

Not mentioned : Abel Rosnovski; William Lowell Kane; David Osborne; Davis LeRoy and Alan Lloyd.

Q5: Please visit Archer’s official blog and tell me any the title of any of his blogs about his India visit (from 11 May to 19 May 2009).

For 10 points: Welcome to India; The first event; Returning home; Looking to the future

For 5 points: Photo opportunities (2);

Not mentioned : Dry day and Horse-trading.

The final results:

45 points: Mugaboo and denni19
40 points: szabs and brandz_mygirl
35 points: Gatsby722 and maninmidohio

Mugaboo and denni19 are our winners for this round. Congrats to Mugaboo and denni for winning a trivia point each for June. Thanks to all the participants who played this round. See you on Thursday

#474036 - Tue Jun 16 2009 09:41 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a quick reminder Round 12 will be closing in about 24 hours. Plenty of time for veterans and newcomers to send in your answers.

#474037 - Wed Jun 17 2009 11:22 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 12 Answers

We had six hearty players participating in this round dedicated to the 12th of June.

1. The Virginia Declaration of Rights is a document drafted in 1776 to proclaim the inherent natural rights of men, including the right to rebel against "inadequate" government. In addition to affirming the inherent nature of natural rights to life, liberty, and property. It was initially drafted by George Mason, for this reason he is considered as one of the "Founding Fathers" of the United States. Mason was also known for being quite a prolific father, would you please tell me the name of one of his twelve children.

For 10 Points : Richard Mason, Mary Thomson Mason Cooke, Catherine Mason, James Mason
For 5 Points : John Mason (2)
Among Others: Ann Eilbeck , Thomas, William

2. The Philippine Declaration of Independence occurred on June 12, 1898, with the public reading of the Act of the Declaration of Independence. The Philippines is comprised of 7,107 islands, which are divided into three island groups: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao, and these in turn are divided into 17 regions. Please give me the name of one of the regions.

For 10 Points : Calabarzon, Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, Mimaropa, Soccsksargen
For 5 Points : Eastern Visayas (2)
Among Others: Cagayan Valley, Zamboanga Peninsula, Caraga

3. The Venera series of probes was developed by the USSR between 1961 and 1984 to gather data from Venus. From the Venera 4 wiki page, please tell me any instrument that is mentioned in the first paragraph.

For 10 Points : Barometer, radio transmitters operating in the DM waveband, Atmospheric density gauge, Cosmic ray detectors
For 5 Points : Thermometer (2)
Among Others: radio altimeter, magnetometer, Lyman-alpha spectrometers

4. Russia Day is the national holiday of the Russian Federation, celebrated on June 12. It has been celebrated every year since 1994. Could you give me the name of a vacation residence used by the President of the Russian Federation from here.

For 10 Points : Volzhskiy Utyos sanatorium, Sosny, Congress Palace or Constantine Palace complex, Angarskie hutora
For 5 Points : Bocharov Ruchey (2)
Among Others: Shuyskaya Chupa, Tantal tourist centre, Uzhin

5. The digital television transition (also called the digital switchover (DSO) or analog switchoff (ASO), is the process in which analog television broadcasting is converted to and replaced by digital television. In many countries, a simulcast service is operated where a broadcast is made available to viewers in both analog and digital at the same time. Could you please tell me another country where the transition has been completed, according to the wiki page.

For 10 Points : Germany, Netherlands
For 5 Points : Sweden (2), Finland (2)
The others: Andorra, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland

Scores

We have one winner with a score of 45 points : Denni19
With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl, Deepakmr, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo
With 35 points: Gatsby722

A hearty congratulations goes out to our sole winner of this round Denni19 , who will receive a trivia point for the month of May. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#474038 - Wed Jun 17 2009 01:23 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 17 June Round
Q1 A piece of equipment found in the gym
Q2 A song from “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”
Q3 Something annoying on answering machines.
Q4 Something associated with Bonfire night
Q5 Something you do first thing on Christmas morning
This closes at the weekend

#474039 - Thu Jun 18 2009 11:15 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 13 - 6 played

1. Please give me a member of the Missouri Caves Association.
For 10 points: Cathedral Cave; Fantastic Caverns; Old Spanish Treasure Cave (AR); Onondaga Cave; Ozark Caverns; Round Spring Caverns
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Cameron Cave; Hurricane River Cave (AR); Mark Twain Cave; Talking Rocks Cavern

2. Name a National Grassland in the United States.
For 10 points: Cimarron; Comanche; Fort Pierre; Kiowa; Lyndon B. Johnson; Oglala
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Black Kettle; Crooked River; McClellan Creek; Thunder Basin

3. There are six different Educational and Interpretive Programs available at Greenwater Lake Provincial Park in Saskatchewan, name one of them please.
For 10 points: (none)
For 5 points: Amazing Adaptations [2]; Earthcaching [2]; Habitat Hike [2]
Not mentioned: Aquatic Ecosystem Study; Life in the Lake; Snails, Pails and Cattails

4. Name a herd of wood bison in Canada.
For 10 points: Mackenzie Bison Sanctuary; Wood Buffalo National Park
For 5 points: Etthithun Lake [2]; Nahanni-Laird [2]
Not mentioned: Chitek Lake; Elk Island; Hay-Zuma; Nisling River; Prince Albert; Riding Mountain; Waterton Lakes

5. So take wander down to Carlos'n Charlie's Restaurant in Cancun and give me an American or Mexican dish on the Menu.
For 10 points: 100% Angus Beef Cheeseburger; Fajitas
For 5 points: Carne Asada Tacos [2]; Rodrigo Fish Tacos
Not mentioned Charlie's Tacos; Club Sandwich Focaccia; Grilled Chicken Tacos

Scores:

45 points: Szabs
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722
35 points: Denni19; Deepakmr; Maninmidohio

Congratulations to Szabs, who gets a good win under her belt.

#474040 - Fri Jun 19 2009 07:53 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 18 – Thursday

Sorry for the delay in posting this round. The theme of this round is the Himalayas.

Q1: The Himalayas is the highest mountain system in the world. The name Himalaya is a Sanskrit word which means ‘Abode of snow. Please tell me the name of any of the countries through which the Himalaya mountain range stretches.

Q2: Interestingly, the Himalayas is one of the youngest mountain range in the world. Please visit the Wiki page on the Geology of the Himalayas, the page contains a diagrammatic representation of the making of the Himalayas. Please tell me the caption of any of these figures from this page.

Q3 : The Himalayas is best represented by Mount Everest, the highest mountain in the world. But there are a large number of peaks in the Himalayas. Please tell me any of the peaks of the Himalayas, that has an elevation of more than 26,500 feet.

Q4 : Mount Kailas in the Himalayas is believed by Hindus to be the abode of the God Shiva. Every year thousands of tourists visit Mt. Kailas and the Lake Manasarovar, for which they of course first need permission from the People’s Republic of China. This page has a list of things to carry with you if you are going on this pilgrimage. Please tell me any of the clothing for the upper body or the head that you would need to take with you.

Q5 : From the Wiki page on the Himalayas, please tell me the name of any fictional book featuring the Himalayas.

The Himalayas round will close on 23rd June, Tuesday. Waiting for your answers, have a great week

#474041 - Sat Jun 20 2009 09:50 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

*waves around to catch anyone's attention* Round 18 will be closing in just over 25 hours (noon Sunday FT time).

#474042 - Sat Jun 20 2009 02:18 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Almost forgot -- here's to say that Round 16 will close up in about a day (19 hours and 43 minutes, to be exact ) ...

#474043 - Sun Jun 21 2009 10:44 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 16 - Tuesday
"The 63rd Annual 'Tony' Awards"
Six prize-worthy participants (thank you !)

1. To start, please tell me the first or last name of any of those four actors who picked up Tony Awards this month for their roles in Billy Elliot ...

For 10 Points:
Gregory, Kulish
For 5 Points:
Alvarez (2), Kowalik (2)

David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik, Kiril Kulish (all three as Billy) and Gregory Jbara (as "Dad") are the full names of all four ...

2. In the New York Daily News review of "Next to Normal" (published on April 16, 2009), the praise was solid. Tell me any word that appears in the very first sentence of that "thumbs up" review, please.

For 10 Points:
People, Usually
For 5 Points:
Don't (2), Yearn (2)

"People don't usually yearn to be ordinary." is the sentence in question.

3. This time all I'm wondering is the name of any actor that took on the roles of Sheila, Claude or Berger on opening night [Broadway only] in "Hair"'s run(s) in 1968, 1977, 2004 or 2009.

For 10 Points:
... No one today!
For 5 Points:
Randall Easterbrook (as Claude, 1977) (3), Michael Hoit (as Berger, 1977) (3)

The other choices were: 1968 production: Lynn Kellogg (Sheila), James Rado (Claude), Gerome Ragni (Berger); 1977 production: Ellen Foley (Sheila); 2004 production: Harris Doran (Claude), All other members of the cast listed as simply "Performers"; 2009 production: Will Swenson (Berger), Gavin Creel (Claude) and Caissie Levy (Sheila).

4. Tell me any of the six actors who opened "The Norman Conquests" back then, on Broadway only. Or, if you'd prefer, you may answer any one of the names of the six characters in the story/stories.

For 10 Points:
Everybody!
Estelle Parsons, Barry Nelson, Paula Prentiss, Carole Shelley, Annie (character), Reg (character)

Richard Benjamin and Ken Howard were the other actors. The remaining characters were Tom, Norman, Sarah & Ruth ...

5. To wrap this up, please tell me an episode title of "Doogie Howser, M.D.", that first aired in September, October or November of 1989.

For 10 Points:
Tonight's the Night, Vinnie Video Vici
For 5 Points:
My Old Man and the Sea (2), Simply Irresistible (2)

'Every Dog Has His Doogie', 'She Ain't Heavy, She's My Cousin', 'Blood and Remembrance', 'The Short Goodbye', 'Frisky Business', 'A Stitch Called Wanda' and 'The Ice Queen Cometh' were the others to pick from.

The Results!

40 Points! .... denni19
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr, Mugaboo, szabs
30 Points! .... manimidohio

As the answers rolled in on that one the big questions seemed to be both *who?* and *how many?* will have the top score this time! The last set of answers turned eveything around, leaving denni19 all by herself as the leader, however. So, then, congrats to her ... and thank you ALL for playing! V-e-r-y close game, all-around!

#474044 - Sun Jun 21 2009 12:01 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 19

Sorry to be posting this round a little late, but this has been a very hectic week for me as the museum I work for hosted its annual collector’s convention. I still have a lot of wrap up details to attend to but I wanted to get this round in.

Last time we explored some of the highlights of the course Western Civilization I which I took during my freshman year at Hobart College. This round will be devoted to the follow-up course which I took in my sophomore year which covered the years 1648 and after. This will be the Western Civilization II Round.

1. The Age of Enlightenment is a term that is often used to sum up the time of great changes that took place in the 18th century. There were great changes in the political, social, and cultural philosophies being expounded by the great thinkers of the time. The movement penetrated all of Europe and had direct influences on the Americas as well. The Wiki article on the Enlightenment list many “Important Figures” which were influential during this time, please give me one of these that lived their life entirely in the 18th century (1700-1799).

2. The French Revolution was a major milestone in the history of Western Civilization. It encapsulates the major changes going on in the world at that time in terms of philosophical thought, government, and role of the people. One of the most interesting aspects of the French Revolution was the use of the guillotine as a more humane method of removing the nobility from power. Please give me a six letter word that can be made from the letters in GUILLOTINE.

3. The years of the mid-1800s were a period of heightened nationalism. This time saw the unification of Germany and Italy, as well as the yearnings of many other ethnic groups to form a new sense of identity. The Poles were an especially active group trying to regain their nationhood after the country underwent several partitionings in the late 1700s which eventually led to the dissolution of the country. Several uprising occurred in areas of the former country of Poland against the new rulers of various sections of the old Poland. Please tell me the name of one of these uprisings that occurred after the first partitioning of Poland in 1772 and before the outbreak of World War I.

4. In 1848, Karl Marx and Frederick Engels published “Manisfesto of the Communist Party.” It came out of a London meeting of like minded individuals who thought that the times were ripe for change. The document uses many phrases which take two concepts and puts them in apposition of each other like the phrase “Bourgeois and Proletariat.” Find another such phrase in the document and report it to me.

5. When I took the Western Civilization II course back in the 1960s, the last author that we studied was Sigmund Freud. It was probably felt that anything after that was too modern and had not passed the test of time. I am sure that the curriculum goes further now. Please tell me one of the chapter titles of Freud’s “Interpretations of Dreams.”

Since this round is so late in being posted, the deadline for submitting answers will be set at noonish (FT Time) on Saturday, June 27. I look forward to your answers.

#474045 - Sun Jun 21 2009 01:20 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 15 Round – Answers

My thanks to the six super players for the Brandy round.

1) From this page, please tell me the name of a food you should never feed your dog.
For Ten Points: Grapes and raisins, Macadamia nuts, Mushrooms, Raw eggs
For Five Points: Raw fish (2)
Not mentioned: Baby food, Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources, Cat food, Chocolate, Fat trimmings, Large amounts of liver, Moldy or spoiled food, Onions and garlic (raw, cooked or powder), Persimmons, Pits from peaches and plums, Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems, Salt, Sugary foods, Table scraps (in large amounts), Yeast dough.

2) Please choose such a game from here that comes with an extremely high buzz level.
For Ten Points: Death Ring, Red Dwarf Drinking Game
For Five Points: Century Club (2), Mexicali (2)
Not mentioned: Beat the Barman, Beer Chess, Flip the Cup, “Waltham Rules” As*hole. (I had to insert the asterisk.)

3) Battersea Dogs & Cats Home is a registered charity (patron is the Queen) situated in London. Its aim is never to turn away a dog or cat in need of help. It’s a wonderful place, funded solely by donations from the public. Under their dog behaviour advice section, please name any one of the topics covered.
For Ten Points: Life skills for dogs, Prevention and initial treatment of separation-based issues
For Five Points: Jealous pets (2), Walking on a loose lead (2)
Not mentioned: Basic control, Housetraining your new dog, Play and mental stimulation, Problem behaviour.

4) From here, please give me an ingredient for a ‘zombie’ cocktail.
For Ten Points: Apricot brandy, Orange juice, Pineapple juice
For Five Points: Dark rum (3)
Not mentioned: Bacardi® 151 rum, Light rum, Lime juice, Sugar

5) Please give me any word that rhymes with ‘Brandy’.
For Ten Points: Andy, Candy, Handy, Kandy (ancient highland capital of Ceylon), Randy, Wendy
Not mentioned: Bandy, Dandy, Mandy, Sandy.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Gatsby, Deepakmr & Maninmidohio Well done guys!

Other Results:
40 points: Mugaboo
30 points: Denni & Szabs

#474046 - Mon Jun 22 2009 01:57 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'll close round 17 - Wednesday - in 10 hours or so

#474047 - Mon Jun 22 2009 09:45 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

And I'll be closing Round 18 (Himalayas) in 24 hours from now

#474048 - Mon Jun 22 2009 02:11 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 17 June Round Results
Q1 A piece of equipment found in the gym
FOR TEN POINTS:
Rowing machine, Mini-trampoline (trampettes) , a climbing rope, Flat bench (for dumbbell exercises), Abs tightener, Punch bag,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Exercise bike and more

Q2 A song from “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”
FOR TEN POINTS:
With a smile and a song, “One Song”, (Isn't This) A Silly Song", Hi, Ho, Hi, Ho, It’s Off to Work We Gom
FOR FIVE POINTS:
‘Some Day my Prince will come’, " (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
I’m Wishing and more

Q3 Something annoying on answering machines.
FOR TEN POINTS:
Asking to call back without leaving a number., The recording not telling you the number you've reached (in the event that you called the wrong place), The beep, Recorded message,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
When the pre-recorded message is sung (2)
NOT MENTIONED:
When it cuts you off and more

Q4 Something associated with Bonfire night
FOR TEN POINTS:
Frightened dogs, Gunpowder, burning Guy Fawkes in effigy, Crowds, Fire, Queen’s Birthday (Australia),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Bangs and more

Q5 Something you do first thing on Christmas morning
FOR TEN POINTS:
Have breakfast, Make coffee, Wake up parents, Lie in bed for a while and savor the quiet.,Wish others Happy Christmas, Stuff the turkey,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Open presents and more

SCORES- 6 players
Gatsby – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Brandz_mygirl – 45
Chessart – 45
Deepakmr – 45
Maninmidohio - 45
Well done to Gatsby and Mugaboo

#474049 - Mon Jun 22 2009 11:43 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday June 22 – Quiz

Hey, did you hear…... Entertainment news bits.

1) The Gosselins have been in the news a lot lately. I don’t watch their show. I have no comments about their lives or their announcement. I think the kids are cute. I have a soft spot for the little one wearing glasses. Please tell me any of the children’s names.

2) Bryan Fuller, dubbed as the savior of “Heroes” in many tabloids in late 2008/early 2009, has left “Heroes”. As reported in Entertainment Weekly (and many more sites), he left the post of consulting producer on the TV show to focus on his other projects. Not going into why “Heroes” needed saving in the first place. Please tell me a TV series (not “Heroes”) –or- an episode of “Heroes” that Bryan Fuller is credited as a writer. I never expected this, he just re-joined “Heroes” in December last year.

3) The U.S. celebrated Father’s Day on Sunday 21 June. This was Barack Obama’s first in the White House. He made a Father’s Day speech while attending Sunday service at the Apostolic Church of God in Chicago. Please give me any sentence from President Obama’s Father’s Day speech that contains the words “father” –or- “fathers” – or- “father’s”.

4) Britney Spears is on tour. She is currently in Europe and “The Circus” tour seems to be going well, apart from the Manchester/London confusion that is. Please give me the name of a city that Britney Spears is scheduled to perform in the month of July.

5) Madonna has a new addition to the family. Mercy, who is 3, joins Lourdes, Rocco and David. Please tell me the name of a child, aged 1 and under (as of today), born to a famous parent or famous parents in the entertainment business.

This round will close on Sunday 28 June at noon FT time. Wishing everyone a lovely week.

#474050 - Tue Jun 23 2009 08:38 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 23 ~ Tuesday

A new TV show getting a *test run* tomorrow night over here. It looks interesting (and the cast is rather exceptional). So it was in my head ...

1. The Philanthropist is an action/drama series set to premiere on NBC this Wednesday. In it, the title character is a billionaire haunted by the death of his only child ~ but his life changes when he rescues a boy during a hurricane in Nigeria. After that, he begins using his fortune hands-on to change the lives of others. The advertisements for the program suggest that The Philanthropist is based on a "real-life" billionaire (namely Bobby Sager). A show's 'promise' certainly never assures its success, but this one sounds like it might appeal to a broad spectrum of viewers AND it's starting out in a very nice time slot, too. Naturally, the show has it's own *official* website (as per NBC) so, from that site, please tell me an executive producer -OR- the name of any of the five characters spotlighted there as being the cast.

2. Likable [and lovely] Neve Campbell (remembered for her work in the TV series "Party of Five", and numerous feature films) has a pivotal role in The Philanthropist as the conscience and 'level head' of the billionaire's corporation. Campbell was born in Guelph, Ontario in 1973 -- Guelph being known as "The Royal City" and situated in the Southwestern region of Ontario. It's roughly 100 kilometres (62 mi) west of downtown Toronto. Because of its low crime rates, clean environment and generally high standard of living, Guelph is consistently rated as one of the country's most livable cities. On canadianbusiness.com's list of *Canada's Best Places To Live 2009* Guelph ranks as #22, overall, in the 'Crime Rate' category. Please tell me a city that ranked in the top 10, in terms of 'Crime Rate', on that same list.

3. Exactly 60 years before The Philanthropist will make its debut, another television show had its first airing (on June 24, 1949). Will the generous rich guy's adventures reach the legendary status of "Hopalong Cassidy"? I'm sure NBC execs are hoping so . "Hopalong Cassidy" became the very first network Western television series, based on a well-loved character created in 1904. By the time the dauntless cowboy found his way to TV, he'd already been a series of stories, novels, (crazy popular) feature films, radio programs and even comic books. William Boyd was the actor, and driving force, who played the "big galoot" as the character became a strong thread in American pop culture. The TV series was [no surprise] a wildy successful project - it was such a hit, in fact, that the network often couldn't wait for new episodes to be ready and simply re-edited the old movies down to broadcast length - and it lasted until 1954. All I'm wondering, this time, is an episode title from "Hopalong Casidy" that originally aired in 1953.

4. James Purefoy is the actor entrusted with the role of the benevolent (yet complicated, indeed) rich dude in the new series. Purefoy's often referred to as 'underrated' - many many fans AND critics have given his work high praise over the years but, so far, his expected *big breakthrough* has not happened (although he got close in his remarkable turn in the HBO series "Rome", and after great notices in the film(s) A Knight's Tale and Vanity Fair as well). Maybe this new show will be his 'star maker'? Purefoy was born in Taunton, Somerset, eventually boarding at Sherborne School which he left with only one O-level. Later he went to night school and got 11 more, then took his A-levels, THEN studied acting at the Central School of Speech and Drama. He subsequently joined the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1988. So, while on the RSC ... kindly tell me the name of one of the eight plays that will be performed at the Royal Shakespeare Company (in Stratford-Upon-Avon ONLY) in July 2009.

5. Accd.g to Wikipedia, *Philanthropy* is described as such: deriving from Ancient Greek, meaning "to love people", philanthropy is the act of donating money, goods, services, time and/or effort to support a socially beneficial cause, with a defined objective and with no financial or material reward to the donor. In a more general sense, philanthropy may encompass any altruistic activity intended to promote good or improve human quality of life. I tend to suspect we all knew that already, though, yes ? What we might NOT have known, however, is (as per that same Wiki page) the 5 'largest individual bequests, in US Dollars, given away'. Tell me one of those generous donors ... OR tell me the amount of money donated by any of 'em. Thanks.

This one'll close up, as usual, on Sunday. Around midday. Have a generously grand week, folks !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jun 23 2009 11:55 AM)

#474051 - Tue Jun 23 2009 11:18 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 18 – Thursday
Himalayas

Six superb players participated in this round.

Q1: Please tell me the name of any of the countries through which the Himalaya mountain range stretches.

For 10 points: India; Burma

For 5 points: Tibet (2); Pakistan (2)

Not mentioned : Bhutan, Nepal and Afghanistan.

Q2: Please visit the Wiki page on the Geology of the Himalayas, the page contains a diagrammatic representation of the making of the Himalayas, please tell me the caption of any of these figures from this page.

For 10 points: The Earth in the early Permian; The Earth at the Permian-Triassic boundary; The Earth in the Cretaceous; Geological-tectonic map of Himalaya

For 5 points: The northward drift of India (2)

Not mentioned : Geological map of North-West Himalaya and Simplified cross-section of the north-western Himalaya.

Q3: Please tell me any of the peaks of the Himalayas, that has an elevation of more than 26,500 feet.

For 10 points: Kanchenjunga; Cho Oyu; Dhaulagiri; Manaslu

For 5 points: Lhotse (2)

Not mentioned : Everest; K2; Makalu; Nanga Parbat; Annapurna and Gasherbrum I.

Q4: This page has a list of things to carry with you if you are going on this pilgrimage. Please tell me any of the clothing for the upper body or the head that you would need to take with you.

For 10 points: Cotton long-sleeved shirt; Wind/waterproof jacket with hood; Cotton head scarf; Fleece balaclava or warm hat

For 5 points: Fleece jacket (2)

Not mentioned : Cotton t-shirt; Polypropylene thermal long shirt and Cotton sun hat.

Q5: From the Wiki page on the Himalayas, please tell me the name of any fictional book featuring the Himalayas.

For 10 points: Black Narcissus

For 5 points: Lost Horizon (3); Kingdom of the Golden Dragon (2)

Not mentioned : Kim; Tintin in Tibet; The Inheritance of Loss and Dragon Rider.

The final results:

45 points: Gatsby722 and szabs
40 points: denni19
35 points: brandz_mygirl and maninmidohio
25 points: Mugaboo

Gatsby722 and szabs are our winners for this round. Congrats to Gats and szabs for winning a trivia point each for June. Thanks to all the participants and see you on Thursday

#474052 - Wed Jun 24 2009 10:36 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 24 June Round
Q1 A film beginning with K
Q2 A song title beginning with K
Q3 A book title beginning with K
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with K
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with K
This round closes over the weekend

#474053 - Fri Jun 26 2009 12:13 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26 Friday - A bit of everything

1. Common or popular misconceptions details various ideas described by multiple reliable sources as widely held, but which are false, misleading or otherwise flawed. From this page please give me one of the many misconceptions.

2. There are always odd news stories that keep on cropping up in the news from around the world, but in many cases these strange stories are true. From this page please tell me one of the most odd news stories of 2008.

3. Diving is a unique and amazing experience that is enjoyed by many people. There are some fabulous places to explore around the world, but some of the most interesting places to dive into are underwater ruins around the globe. (Although I do understand, that anyone who is afraid of the water the sole idea of finding themselves alone, under the water with creatures in the middle of the sea or a lake can be quite traumatic). From this page please tell me one of the seven most fascinating underwater ruins.

4. Vending machines are everywhere, delivering just about anything you can think of. In Japan they are as commonplace as temples, bicycles, and karaoke booths; there are over 5.6 million vending machines, 1 for every 20 people. From this page please tell me one of the strangest vending machines found.

5. For those of us who enjoy reading, a huge beautiful library is a place of endless pleasure. Curious Expeditions have put together 20 of the biggest and most beautiful libraries around the globe. Have a look at these and please give me the name and place of one of these wonderful castles of reading.

This round will close on Wednesday the 1st of July. Till then have a great weekend.

Edited by szabs (Fri Jun 26 2009 12:15 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002