Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#474054 - Fri Jun 26 2009 12:37 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 19, the Western Civilization II Round, will close in a little less than 24 hours. Plenty of time to get in your answers, new players welcomed.

#474055 - Sat Jun 27 2009 01:53 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 27 - Saturday 27th June

We've let the fifth anniversary if these rounds pass unnoticed, so this round looks back at some of the past moments.

1. Kuu started these round off on the 21st June 2004, none who entered the first round are still playing it. JaneMarple joined us for round three and Gatsby722 on the fourth. So it's on the 4th round we'll start our trip down memory lane. Please give me any answer that scored zero for the round 4 trivia for June 2004.
2. For the year and a half she played, ElfTwinkle was consitantally the best player. This question was of a style that always made in onto every round given to us. Give me the name of a place in Canada that has a horse as a roadside attraction.
3. spanishLiz was another who always came up with a questions on the victoria cross medals winners . . . Name a recipient of the Victoria Cross for an action that took place in the month of June during the Indian Mutiny.
4. Another who always posed a traditional question was Howie72. Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage site located in Russia.
5. The limerick question posted by Santana2002 for the September 26 2005 round, and is unique as it netted for one person 15 points for the 10 point question. Please give me an Irish author mentioned in one of the limericks for that round.

Round will close on Thursday, if you're finding things tough going please ask for help.

Edited by denni19 (Wed Jul 01 2009 01:55 PM)

#474056 - Sat Jun 27 2009 06:54 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
I apologise for not being able to post this Thursday's round and also for posting this notice so late. I promise to be back next Thursday.

#474057 - Sat Jun 27 2009 08:42 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
*Beep! Beep!* ~ Just over 24 hours to go for Round 23 !

#474058 - Sat Jun 27 2009 10:04 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
And for Round 22 too! Closing noon Sunday FT time.

#474059 - Sat Jun 27 2009 12:46 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 19 – Results

I want to thank the six great players who joined me for the Western Civilization II Round.

1. The Wiki article on the Enlightenment list many “Important Figures” which were influential during this time, please give me one of these that lived their life entirely in the 18th century (1700-1799).

For 10 Points:
Edmund Burke (1729–1797), James Burnett Lord Monboddo (1714–1799), and Denis Diderot (1713–1784)
For 5 Points: Carl Linnaeus (1707–1778) (3)
Not Chosen: Thomas Abbt (1738–1766) , Jean le Rond d'Alembert (1717–1783), James Boswell (1740–1795), G.L. Buffon (1707–1788), Marquis de Condorcet (1743–1794), Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790), Edward Gibbon (1737–1794), Baron d'Holbach (1723–1789), David Hume (1711–1776), Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729–1781), Thomas Reid (1710–1796), Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712–1778), Adam Smith (1723–1790), Stanis&#322;aw August Poniatowski (1732–98), and Mary Wollstonecraft (1759–1797)

2. Please give me a six letter word that can be made from the letters in GUILLOTINE.

For 10 Points:
Lentil, Lutein, Outing, and Tingle
For 5 Points: Illite (2)
Other Possible Answers Include: Gullet, Lounge, and Tongue

3. Several uprising occurred in areas of the former country of Poland against the new rulers of various sections of the old Poland. Please tell me the name of one of these uprisings that occurred after the first partitioning of Poland in 1772 and before the outbreak of World War I.

For 10 Points:
November Uprising 1830–1831, January Uprising 1863–1864, Greater Poland Uprising 1846, and Greater Poland Uprising 1848
For 5 Points: Ko&#347;ciuszko Uprising 1794 (2)
Not Chosen: Revolution in the Kingdom of Poland 1905–1907, Kraków Uprising 1846, Greater Poland Uprising 1794, and Greater Poland Uprising 1806

4. “Manisfesto of the Communist Party” uses many phrases which take two concepts and puts them in apposition of each other like the phrase “Bourgeois and Proletariat.” Find another such phrase in the document and report it to me.

For 10 Points:
“freeman and slave” and “patrician and plebian”
For 5 Points: “lord and serf “ (2) and “guild-master and journeyman” (2)
Not Chosen: “oppressor and oppressed” and “Proletarians and Communists”

5. Please tell me one of the chapter titles of Freud’s “Interpretations of Dreams.”

For 10 Points:
Chapter I: The Scientific Literature Dealing with the Problems of Dreams, Chapter II: The Method of Interpreting Dreams: An Analysis of a Specimen Dream, Chapter V. The Material and Sources of Dreams, and Chapter VII: The Psychology of the Dream-Processes
For 5 Points: Chapter IV: Distortion in Dreams (2)
Not Chosen: Chapter III: The Dream as Wish-Fulfilment and Chapter VI: The Dream-Work

The Results:

With 45 Points: brandz_mygirl and Gatsby722
With 40 Points: deepakmr, Magaboo, and PDAZ
With 25 Points: szabs

A June Trivia Point goes to both brandz_mygirl and Gatsby722 for triumphing over some very determined competition in this round. Special recognition goes to szabs for marching to the beat of everyone else’s drum in this round. She achieved that truly remarkable feat of having all of her answers matched.

Thanks to all for playing; I look forward to presenting you with fresh challenges in my next round.

#474060 - Sun Jun 28 2009 11:00 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 22 Round – Answers

Hey, did you hear….. had five fabulous players.

1) Please tell me any of the (Gosselins’) children’s names.
For Ten Points: Aaden, Alexis, Hannah, Joel, Madelyn
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Cara, Collin, Leah.

2) Please tell me a TV series (not “Heroes”) –or- an episode of “Heroes” that Bryan Fuller is credited as a writer.
For Ten Points: Chapter Four ‘Collision’, Chapter Seventeen ‘Company Man’, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
For Five Points: Star Trek: Voyager (2)
Not mentioned: Chapter Seven ‘Cold Snap’, Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls.

3) Please give me any sentence from President Obama’s Father’s Day speech that contains the words “father” –or- “fathers” – or- “father’s”.
For Ten Points:
- And that is why the final lesson we must learn as fathers is also the greatest gift we can pass on to our children - and that is the gift of hope
- The second thing we need to do as fathers is pass along the value of empathy to our children.
- We need fathers to realize that responsibility does not end at conception.
- We should be making it easier for fathers who make responsible choices and harder for those who avoid them.
- We should reward fathers who pay that child support with job training and job opportunities and a larger Earned Income Tax Credit that can help them pay the bills.
Not mentioned: Loads more, way too many to list here.

4) Please give me the name of a city that Britney Spears is scheduled to perform in the month of July (as part of “The Circus” tour).
For Ten Points: Antwerp, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm, Warsaw
Not mentioned: Berlin, Moscow, Paris, St. Petersburg.

5) Please tell me the name of a child, aged 1 and under (as of today), born to a famous parent or famous parents who are in the entertainment business.
For Ten Points: Charlie, born 28 December 2008 (daughter of Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O'Connell), Ikhyd Edgar Arular Bronfman, born February 11, 2009 (son of singer M.I.A.), Marion Loretta Elwell, born 22 June 2009 (daughter of Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick), Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa, born 15 December 2008 (son of Lisa Bonet & Jason Momoa), Willa Hoffman, born 17 October 2008 (daughter of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman)
Not mentioned: Bronx Mowgli, born 20 November 2008 (son of Ashlee Simpson & Pete Wentz), Samuel Kai, born 13 December 2008 (son of Naomi Watts & Liev Schreiber), Satyana, born 24 March 2009 (daughter of Alyson Hannigan & Alexis Denisof) and loads more. I should have put “12 months and under” instead of “aged 1 and under” in the question. Would have been less confusing. Sorry.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Gatsby, Szabs & Denni Well done!

Other Results:
45 points: Mugaboo & Maninmidohio

I was so hoping for everyone to get full points for all the questions. A very very close finish. My thanks goes to all the players.

#474061 - Sun Jun 28 2009 07:03 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 23 - Tuesday
"The Philanthropist"
Five terrific participants ()

1. Please tell me an executive producer -OR- the name of any of the five characters spotlighted there as being the cast in "The Philanthropist".

For 10 Points:
Tom Fontana (producer), Peter Horton (producer), Barry Levinson (producer)
For 5 Points:
Philip Maidstone (character) (2)

Gareth Neame, Teri Weinberg and Charlie Corwin are the other producers. The unmentioned character names are Olivia Maidstone, A.J. Butterfield, Dax Vahagn and Teddy Rist.

2. Please tell me a city that ranked in the top 10, in terms of 'Crime Rate', on that same list (Canada's Best Places To Live 2009).

For 10 Points:
Levis, Markham, Oakville, Petawawa, Vaughan

Good picks! The others are Saint-Hyacinthe, Richmond Hill, Centre Wellington, Burlington & Thetford Mines.

3. All I'm wondering, this time, is an episode title from "Hopalong Casidy" that originally aired in 1953.

For 10 Points:
Gypsy Destiny, Illegal Entry, The Jinx Wagon
For 5 Points:
Arizona Troubleshooters (2)

The Devil's Idol, The Sole Survivor, The Valley Raiders, Twisted Trails, The Last Laugh, Death By Proxy, Frontier Law -and- Don't Believe In Ghosts would've worked, too.

4. Kindly tell me the name of one of the eight plays that will be performed at the Royal Shakespeare Company (in Stratford-Upon-Avon ONLY) in July 2009.

For 10 Points:
No one this time !
For 5 Points:
As You Like It (3), The Winter's Tale (2)

Tentatively scheduled, too, are "Arabian Nights", "Twelfth Night, "The Comedy of Errors", "The Drunks", "The Grain Store" and "Julius Caesar".

5. Tell me the name of one of those generous folks/philanthropists ... OR tell me the [estimated] amount of money donated by any of 'em. Thanks.

For 10 Points:
Warren Buffett, John D. Rockefeller, $100 million, $200 million, $31 Billion (yikes !)

Here's the complete list:
- $31 billion from Warren Buffett to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (initial value of the gift)
- $424 million from managers of the Readers Digest fortune to the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- $200 million from Joan B. Kroc to National Public Radio in 2003
- $100 million from John D. Rockefeller to the Rockefeller Foundation, 1913-1914
- $100 million from Henry and Betty Rowan to Glassboro State College

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19, maninmidohio
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, szabs
35 Points! .... Mugaboo

Thanks for playing everyone! Congrats to the two winners this time, too !

#474062 - Mon Jun 29 2009 12:06 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I'll close Wednesday 24th later today

#474063 - Mon Jun 29 2009 12:47 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 24 June Round results

Q1 A film beginning with K
FOR TEN POINTS:
Kitty and the Bagman (1983), K-911, "Kangaroo,", Krippendorf's Tribe (1998), King of the Lost World, Krakatoa: East of Java (1969), Kevin & Perry Go Large (2000), Keeper of the Necklace (2006),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Kill Bill and more

Q2 A song title beginning with K
FOR TEN POINTS:
Kicking Up A Racket ( Stiff Little Fingers), K@#*%! (by Korn, on album "Life is Peachy"), "Kilburn Towers", by the Bee Gees, "Knowing When To Leave" by The Carpenters, Killing me softly, K-K-K-Katy, Keep It Simple (Van Morrison), Kum Ba Yah,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Kissing in the back row and more

Q3 A book title beginning with K
FOR TEN POINTS:
Kirklands Rovels ( Victoria Holt), the Kite Runner, "King of Shadows" is a children's novel by Susan Cooper, "Keeping the World Away" by Margaret Forster, Kensuke’s Kingdom , King Solomon’s Mines (Haggard), K-PAX by Gene Brewer, Kept Man by Robert Silverberg,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Kipper (Children’s picture book) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with K
FOR TEN POINTS:
Kaiserin, killings, "klystron", Knotless, Kindling, Knitting, Kissable, Keelhaul,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Kippered and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with K
FOR TEN POINTS:
Kernhem cheese, king kone, "Kreplach", Kao niao ma muang (sticky rice & mango ~ Thailand), Kipper, Krispy Kreme donut, Khachapuri, Kinder chocolate,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Kiwi fruit and more

COMPETITORS - 8 competitors
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Denni – 50
Gatsby – 50
Lizard_Wizard - 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Santana – 50
Szabs – 50
Watchkeeper – 50
Well done to Brandz_mygirl, Denni, Gatsy, Lizard_wizard, Maninmidohio, Santana, Szabs and Watchkeeper

#474064 - Tue Jun 30 2009 09:55 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 30 ~ Tuesday

It seems a little opportunistic to *do* this (the situation is top news from here to everywhere right now), but I couldn't resist a Michael Jackson Round. No matter how one personally feels about the man, his influence on the late twentieth century was impacting, to say the least. And, as all the dust settles? I have a strong feeling that his music will (deservedly) live on forever. I can only hope, too, that the seemingly sad 'man' behind the music has finally, now, found some peace.

1. One of the first HUGE hits from Michael (that time with his four brothers) was "ABC", a 1970 number-one hit song by The Jackson 5. It was first heard on American Bandstand in February 1970 (Season 13, Episode 25 – Aired: 2/21/1970, to be entirely specific), and to anyone with eyes and/or ears, it was crystal clear that pre-teen Michael was a star-in-development. The song also knocked The Beatles standard "Let It Be" out of the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 that same year, which was yet another impressive feat achieved from five "new" kids on the music scene, emerging from the humble roots of Gary, Indiana. To begin, I'm just needing to know a song that was heard (tv.com spells 'em out) anytime in February, 1970 on "American Bandstand" -- excluding "ABC", of course. One other thing ... three songs by one particular singer are listed as "possibles". For the sake of this Round, we'll assume that they were, in fact, performed [I'm pretty sure they really did happen, anyway ...].

2. "Billie Jean" was a dance-pop R&B song from his monster album 'Thriller'. Quincy Jones originally hated the track - and threatened to remove it. Perhaps the lyrics, referring to a real-life experience in which a mentally ill female fan claimed that Jackson fathered one of her twins, sounded too *serious* to expect chart success to producer Quincy? Bah. Released on January 2, 1983, "Billie Jean" was a worldwide commercial and critical success; it became one of the best-selling singles of the year. It was certified platinum in 1989 (mostly driven by an awesome bass guitar line and M.J.'s "hiccups" as he sang it) - and the "story" it tells was, in my opinion, hardly noticed by too many who loved the sound of the music. Anyway, all that led me to the (murky) 'Duped Dads' website - to read up a little about misfired paternity accusations . There is a short article there by a [former] policeman living in Perth, Australia called *Sperm Donors With Bank Accounts*, published on February 4, 2009. Tell me any sentence in David (the Aussie's) post - not only was he on a hearty rant, he offered a typo or two, too; but the sentences can be figured out without a hitch, I'm sure.

3. Another number-one hit for Jackson, released as a single in the spring of 1988, was "Man in the Mirror". It is one of his most critically acclaimed songs and it was nominated for Record of the Year at the Grammy Awards and garnered massive airplay, topping the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks. It was one of the scarce US hits of his that had only a moderate success in the UK at the time of its release, peaking at #21 and becoming the only single from 'Bad' not to reach the UK Top 20 on first release. The well known chorus begins: I'm starting with the man in the mirror / I'm asking him to change his ways / And no message could have been any clearer ... This time, please share with me a word of four letters or more in the rest of the chorus only. Thank you veddy much!

4. "Beat It" was another fine - and fun - song (also from 'Thriller'), but it especially rocked the planet when it received heavy rotation (unusual for a 'black' artist, at the time) as a classic video on MTV. Quincy Jones had wanted an ambitious black rock 'n' roll song, however - even though Michael had never previously shown an interest in the genre. Following the successful chart performances of "Thriller", "The Girl Is Mine" and "Billie Jean", "Beat It" was released on Valentine's Day, 1983 and became a global commercial and critical success, becoming one of the best-selling singles of all time. Michael Jackson occupied two Top 5 positions at the same time, too, a feat matched by very few artists ever. The clip, though, was a breakthrough! It was mostly a short film, a street-fighting modern take on West Side Story ~ and the choreography changed things forever in music history. The American Music Awards gave "Beat It" the very first award they ever bestowed for a "Favorite Pop/Rock Video" (and the award has been issued annually since). Please name a winner OR nominee for Favorite Pop/Rock Video (AMAs only) that came to pass in 1984, 1985 or 1986 (and, once again, don't use anything by Michael Jackson, OK?).

5. The 'Moonwalk' (or Backslide) is a dance technique that presents the illusion that the dancer is stepping forward while actually moving backward, much like moving along a conveyor belt. It is now known as one of the most famous modern dance moves, especially after gaining enormous popularity after Michael Jackson masterfully showed it during his performance on the March 25, 1983, television special "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever". It became Jackson's *signature move*, and will likely always be so. Interestingly, the Moonwalk happened first in the 1950s, and had been done (off and on) by many for a few decades. Michael made it famous, though -- even so soon after a member of the Electronic Boogaloo Lockers performance group, Timothy 'Popin Pete' Solomon, had performed the dance move in the Talking Heads video "Crosseyed And Painless", which aired around 1981. Wikipedia defines the Moonwalk as a series of five moves. Tell me one of them. OR, if you'd prefer, share a name of an original member of the Electronic Boogaloo Lockers that was founded in 1977.

All righty, then. This tribute will close up shop on Sunday, around midday. Have a great week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jun 30 2009 10:14 AM)

#474065 - Tue Jun 30 2009 01:31 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

(This round is a day late. My apologies. I almost gave up on it for this week. Am just glad it's finally ready. Going to bed as soon as I get this posted.)

Monday June 29 – Quiz

K, okay?. Alphabet round.

1) Agent K of the M-I-B has to oversee newest agent, J, while saving the world: the premise of the 1997 “Men in Black” movie. Tommy Lee Jones played the part of Agent K. Tommy Lee was born on 15 September 1946 and is an eighth generation Texan. He attended Harvard University on a scholarship (Al Gore was his room mate!) and graduated cum laude in 1969 with a BA in English Literature. Please name a well-known actor/actress born in the same year as Tommy Lee.

2) Kelloggs Special K – This question is not about this particular brand of cereal but about breakfast cereals in general. I love breakfast cereals covered with as much milk as my bowl can carry, and breakfast cereals are not just good for breakfast. There are plenty of websites that tell us what we should look for in a healthy breakfast cereal: whole grains, little or no sugar, high fiber, presence of dried fruits, no partially hydrogenated oil (no trans fats). This article has a list of the best tasting healthy breakfast cereals (per the writer) that are readily available on most supermarket shelves. Please tell me any one of them.

3) Kites – I have to confess that I’ve never flown a kite before. I’ve tried flying them and as long as I was running around madly, the kite stayed in the air (sort of) but the moment I stopped running, down it would go. I have not touched a kite in years. Kites are not just for the kids as evidenced by all the kite festivals and kite flying groups around the world. The Kite Society of Great Britain has some kite flying tips. Please give me any one of those tips, just the first sentence will do.

4) Kettle brand potato chips – known for their varied flavors and hand cooked chips. Please proceed to Kettle Foods website, locate their “top 10 weirdest flavor suggestions ever” and tell me any one of them.

5) Kensington Gardens – located in central London, was originally part of Hyde Park. The park is freely accessible to the public and is opened daily from 6am to dusk. Famous landmarks at the garden would include the bronze Peter Pan statue, the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial playground and of course, Kensington Palace, where Diana, Princess of Wales, resided following her divorce from Prince Charles. Please tell me a free event scheduled for Kensington Gardens in either July or August.

This round will close on Sunday 5 July at noon FT time. PM if you need help.

#474066 - Wed Jul 01 2009 08:52 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Excuse me (banging loudly on the drums) - Now that I have your attention, just to let you know that round 26 will be closing in 4 hours, plenty of time to send in your answers .

#474067 - Wed Jul 01 2009 03:04 PM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26 is now closed, answers will be posted shortly.

#474068 - Thu Jul 02 2009 08:55 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26 Answers

We had six wonderful players participating in this round.

1. Common or popular misconceptions details various ideas described by multiple reliable sources as widely held, but which are false, misleading or otherwise flawed. From this page please give me one of the many misconceptions.

For 10 Points : Screw-caps equal cheap wines, Banknotes are made out of paper, Hair and nails continue to grow after death
For 5 Points : You can only fold a piece of paper in half seven times (3)
Among Others: Mr Crapper invented the flushing toilet, Columbus believed the Earth was flat, Wild goldfish are gold

2. There are always odd news stories that keep on cropping up in the news from around the world, but in many cases these strange stories are true. From this page please tell me one of the most odd news stories of 2008.

For 10 Points : Boyfriend of woman stuck to toilet gets six months probation, World’s hairiest man looks for love online
For 5 Points : Former child prodigy exposed as working girl (2), Future bright for Tree Man of Java (2)
Among Others: Chinese half-man learns to walk again, British expat sells his entire life online, Judge condemns crazy kids’ names

3. Diving is a unique and amazing experience that is enjoyed by many people. There are some fabulous places to explore around the world, but some of the most interesting places to dive into are underwater ruins around the globe. (Although I do understand, that anyone who is afraid of the water the sole idea of finding themselves alone, under the water with creatures in the middle of the sea or a lake can be quite traumatic). From this page please tell me one of the seven most fascinating underwater ruins.

For 10 Points : Cleopatra's Palace in Alexandria
For 5 Points : Pavlopetri (Greece) 3, The lost villages (Canada) (2)
Among Others: World's Wickedest City, Port Royal (Jamaica), The submerged temples of Mahabalipuram (India), 8000-year-old Yonaguni-Jima (Japan)

4. Vending machines are everywhere, delivering just about anything you can think of. In Japan they are as commonplace as temples, bicycles, and karaoke booths; there are over 5.6 million vending machines, 1 for every 20 people. From this page please tell me one of the strangest vending machines found.

10 Points to all : French fries, prawns and nuggets Vending Machine, Battery vending machine, Tie vending machine, Soccer Ball vending machine, Live lobster vending machine, Eggs vending machine
Among Others: Used Schoolgirl Panties Vending Machine, Fortune Vending Machine, Live Bait Vending Machine

5. For those of us who enjoy reading, a huge beautiful library is a place of endless pleasure. Curious Expeditions have put together 20 of the biggest and most beautiful libraries around the globe. Have a look at these and please give me the name and place of one of these wonderful castles of reading.

For 10 Points : Melk Monastery Library, Melk - Austria, National Library – Belarus
For 5 Points : Riksdagen Library, Swedish Parliament Library, Stockholm, Sweden (2), Trinity College Library, Dublin (2)
Among Others: Abbey Library St. Gallen, Switzerland, Real Gabinete Portugues De Leitura, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, Wiblingen Monastary Library, Ulm, Germany

Scores

We have two winners with a score of 40 points : Denni19 & Maninmidohio
All the rest of the players came in with 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Deepakmr, Mugaboo, Santana2002

A hearty congratulations goes out to the two winners of this round Denni19 & Maninmidohio , who will receive a trivia point for the month of June. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#474069 - Thu Jul 02 2009 11:22 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 27 - 7 played

1. Please give me any answer that scored zero for the round 4 trivia for June 2004.
For 10 points: Clarence; Justinian; Mayflower
For 5 points: Harbinger [2]; Murder After the Gallup [2]
Not mentioned: Murder on the Orient Express; Calista; Leo the Late Bloomer

2. Give me the name of a place in Canada that has a horse as a roadside attraction.
For 10 points: Cochrane (Alberta); Dundurn (Saskatchewan); St. Francois Xavier (Manitoba); St. Wallburg (Saskatchewan); Stavely (Alberta)
For 5 points: Massey (Ontario) [2]
Not mentioned include: Calgary (Alberta); Coronach (Saskatchewan); Irricana (Alberta); Meadow Lake (Saskatchewan); Penobsquis (New Brunswick)

3. Name a recipient of the Victoria Cross for an action that took place in the month of June during the Indian Mutiny.
For 10 points: James Blair; Peter Gill; Clement Heneage; George Hollis; Matthew Rosamund
For 5 points: Henry Hartigan [2]
Not mentioned include: Thomas Cadell; Thomas Hancock; John Pearson; William Waller

4. Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage site located in Russia.
For 10 points: Golden Mountains of Altai; Historic Centre of St. Petersburg; Kizhi Pogost; Uvs Nuur Basin (inc Ubsurur Hollow Biosphere Reserve); Volcanoes of Kamchatka
For 5 points: Central Sikhote-Alin [2]
Not mentioned include: Historic Centre of the City of Yaroslavl; Lake Baikal; White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal

5. Please give me an Irish author mentioned in one of the limericks for the September 26 2005 round.
For 10 points: Paul Muldoon; Bram Stoker; Eithne Strong; William Butler Yeats
For 5 points: Oscar Wilde [3]
Not mentioned George Bernard Shaw; Jonathon Swift; James Joyce

Scores:

45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Denni19
40 points: Deepakmr; Gatsby722; Maninmidohio; Santana2002
35 points: Szabs

Two people have found pots containing 1 point each towards this months totals. Well done Brandz and Denni19.

#474070 - Sat Jul 04 2009 10:35 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 hours to go, for those of you who would like to get those "Thriller"-ing last minute answers in for Round 30 ....

#474071 - Sat Jul 04 2009 10:44 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Just tagging on to Gats' post, Round 29 too will be closing in approx 24 hours.

#474072 - Sun Jul 05 2009 09:36 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 30 - Tuesday
"Michael Jackson"
Six superstar players

1. To begin, I'm just needing to know a song that was heard (tv.com spells 'em out) anytime in February, 1970 on "American Bandstand" -- excluding "ABC", of course.

For 10 Points:
Kissin' Time (by Bobby Rydell, February 28), Let's Go (by The Sandpipers, February 7), Someday We'll be Together (by The Supremes, February 21), Swingin' School (by Bobby Rydell, February 28)
For 5 Points:
Come Saturday Morning (by The Sandpipers, February 7) (2)

The full roster of 'right' answers also included: aired on February 28 - "Lovin' Things" by Bobby Rydell; on February 21 - "I Want you Back" by The Jackson Five; on February 14 - "I'm So Glad I Fell for You" by David Ruffin; on February 7 - "Any Way That You Want Me" and "Crazy Annie", both by Evie Sands

2. *Sperm Donors With Bank Accounts*, published on February 4, 2009. Tell me any sentence in David (the Aussie's) post - not only was he on a hearty rant, he offered a typo or two, too; but the sentences can be figured out without a hitch, I'm sure.

For 10 Points:
This is solely to avoid the 1 (and slightly higher) in 10 fathers in the UK who are not the real fathers; Worse still they have the law, the Family Courts and that last disgusting cess pool called the CSA, to support them in the deception
For 5 Points:
The Freedom of Information Act says you can see all what is investigated, hence the police do not want the details of discovering non-fathers being known (2); Unfortunately, this isn’t rare, but less heard or read about, as the women involved go out to deliberately deceive and it makes it harder for the truth to be known. (2)

"Being an ex-police officer in UK, I can tell you that the authorities will only ever go for the DNA of the mother in disasters/accidents/terrorsist incidents"; "They will only ever take the ‘father’s’ DNA if pushed, and I mean pushed"; -and- "Sorry men, you’re nothing but sperm donors with a bank account" were the others to pick from.

3. This time, please share with me a word of four letters or more in the rest of the chorus only. Thank you veddy much!

Complete chorus: If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change ...

For 10 Points:
Take, Yourself
For 5 Points:
Look (4)

4. Please name a winner OR nominee for Favorite Pop/Rock Video (AMAs only) that came to pass in 1984, 1985 or 1986 (and, once again, don't use anything by Michael Jackson, OK?).

For 10 Points:
Lionel Richie (for "Hello" - winner in 1985)
For 5 Points:
a-ha (for "Take On Me" - nominee in 1986) (2); Prince (for "When Doves Cry" - nominee in 1985) (3)

Billy Joel (for "Tell Her About It" - nominee in 1984); Ray Parker, Jr. (for "Ghostbusters" - nominee in 1985); Huey Lewis and the News (for "The Power of Love" - winner in 1986); Philip Bailey & Phil Collins (for "Easy Lover" - nominee in 1986) would've worked, too.

5. Wikipedia defines the Moonwalk as a series of five moves. Tell me one of them. OR, if you'd prefer, share a name of an original member of the Electronic Boogaloo Lockers that was founded in 1977.

For 10 Points:
Dance steps: Process repeats on each foot; Dancers: Boogaloo Sam, Slide (aka Nate), Tick'n Will Green
For 5 Points:
Dance steps: Slide left foot back to finish at right foot, slowly moving upward onto its toes (2)

The remaining dance steps were: Place right foot behind left foot, then raise right foot to toe, in an "L" position; While moving left foot onto the toes, right foot simultaneously moves down to be flat -and- Leg that is moving backwards bends kneecap slightly forward to create illusion of walking forward.
The other street dancers: Creep'n Sid, Pop'in Pete, Scarecrow Scally, Robot Dane, Puppet Boozer and Darnell McDowell.

The Results!

45 Points! .... deepakmr
40 Points! .... szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19 and Mugaboo
30 Points! .... maninmidohio

Thank you veddy much, everyone, for playing this time ! Hearty congratulations to deepakmr for earning a monthly Trivia Point for his "chart-topping" performance!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Jul 05 2009 09:48 AM)

#474073 - Sun Jul 05 2009 10:59 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 29 Round – Answers

My thanks to the five wonderful players for K, okay?.

1) Please name a well-known actor/actress born in the same year as Tommy Lee (Jones).
For Ten Points: Danny Glover, Talia Shire, Tim Curry
For Five Points: Felicity Kendal (2)
Not mentioned: Alan Rickman, Candice Bergen, Diane Keaton, Joanna Lumley, Oliver Stone, Sally Field to name a few.

2) This article has a list of the best tasting healthy breakfast cereals (per the writer) that are readily available on most supermarket shelves. Please tell me any one of them.
For Ten Points: Frosted Mini Wheats
For Five Points: Quaker Oatmeal Squares (2), Shredded Wheat (2)
Not mentioned: Fiber One Bran Cereal, Fiber One Honey Clusters, Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Toasted Oat Cereal, Post Grape-Nuts Trail Mix Crunch, Raisin Bran.

3) The Kite Society of Great Britain has some kite flying tips. Please give me any one of those tips, just the first sentence will do.
For Ten Points: Always read the instructions first, Always tidy up after you, Be careful of animals….
For Five Points: Always wear gloves for strong pulling kites (2)
Not mentioned: Always be aware of what is behind you…., Do not fly close to roads or paths, Do not fly near airports or above 200 feet…., Finally be courteous and think of others, If you are new to kite flying then consider contacting one of the many local groups for advice, Keep away from overhead power lines…., Never fly kites in wet or stormy weather, Never fly kites over other people’s heads…,

4) Please proceed to Kettle Foods website, locate their “top 10 weirdest flavor suggestions ever” and tell me any one of them.
For Ten Points: Black Licorice, Hot Cakes and Veggie Sausage, Toothpaste
For Five Points: Salmon and Cream Cheese (2)
Not mentioned: Beets with Brussel Sprouts and Butter, Deep Fried Sour Pickle, Green Tea and Seaweed, Root Beer Float, Sunshine and Rainbows, Tuna Melt.

5) Please tell me a free event scheduled for Kensington Gardens in either July or August.
For Ten Points: Barnes Concert Band, Jigsaw
For Five Points: Gingercat (3)
Not mentioned: Adrenaline Faeries, BBC Indian Voices, Bohemia Ukulelel Band, Booster Cushion, Guided Walks – Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, Guided Walks – Summer in Kensington Gardens, Kitsch in Sync, Northfleet Brass Band, Redbridge Brass, Sing Live UK, Woodley Concert Band.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Gatsby Well done to Mr. Gatsby!

Other Results:
40 points: Maninmidohio
35 points: Szabs & Deepakmr
30 points: Mugaboo

#474074 - Mon Jul 06 2009 01:19 AM Re: June 2009 Trivia Rounds
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Here are the results for the month of June:

1) denni19 (10 points)
2) Gatsby722
..szabs (8 points each)

3) brandz_mygirl
..maninmidohio (6 points each)

4) Mugaboo (5 points)
5) deepakmr (4 points)
6) Lizard (2 points)
7) Chessart
..Santana
..Watchkeeper (1 point each)

denni19 is the winner for this month scoring 10 points.

Half of the year is over and at the mid-point, here are the cumulative scores for January to June 2009:

1) maninmidohio (39 points )
2) Mugaboo
..szabs
..deepakmr(37 points each)
3) brandz_mygirl
..denni19 (36 points each)
4) Gatsby722 (29 points)
5) leelee63 (8 points)
6) deputygary (7 points)
7) PDAZ (3 points)
10) Bikoz
..Skylar7
..Tredici
..Lizard (2 points each)
11) Gemini19
..Chessart
..Santana
..Watchkeeper (1 point each)

Trivia King maninmidohio is leading the points table with 39 points, with Mugaboo, szabs and deepakmr at joint second with 37 points each.

PS : The results computation sheet is available at this link. Please do have a look so that if there are some errors, they can be corrected

Edited by deepakmr (Mon Jul 06 2009 01:22 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ozzz2002