Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#478334 - Fri Jun 26 2009 08:10 AM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
PDAZ Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
It was shocking to hear of his death, but what really shocks me is the news coverage. The media is covering it as if a saint has died, and yet I don't remember anything positive being printed about him in the past decade or so. Kind of weird.

But I've always enjoyed his music, and I suppose that will be the lasting memory of him.

#478335 - Fri Jun 26 2009 08:25 AM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Quote:

It was shocking to hear of his death, but what really shocks me is the news coverage. The media is covering it as if a saint has died, and yet I don't remember anything positive being printed about him in the past decade or so. Kind of weird.

I thought similar.

Farrah Fawcett passed on the exact same day, only a few hours before Michael Jackson, and yet little if anything is being said about her long battle with cancer. Rest in Peace Farrah! You were a wonderful person, and a truly gifted actress!

#478336 - Fri Jun 26 2009 08:32 AM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
Farewell Michael and Farrah, two of Earth's brightest stars are now with the angels. We will never forget either of you, may you both rest in peace.

Edited by DakotaNorth (Fri Jun 26 2009 08:33 AM)

#478337 - Fri Jun 26 2009 08:45 AM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
Choco_nut Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
So saddened to hear about Michael's passing today.

I think that only his inner circle of family and friends truly new the real Michael, he was a very complicated man.

His music was something that only comes around once in a lifetime and I am glad that I was around to enjoy it.

Rest in Peace Michael.

#478338 - Fri Jun 26 2009 10:11 AM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I'm not a big music fan, and not overly fond of Jackson's music, but he had a troubled life, from what I understand. Lets hope that he (and Farrah Fawcett) rest in peace, and good wishes to their families.

#478339 - Fri Jun 26 2009 10:30 AM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
Roofoo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Michael Jackson was an icon, who was essentially worshiped by millions of people. In all honesty, I maybe felt sadder for him while he was alive then I do now that he has passed. That sounds wrong, but I guess what I mean is that I hope he can now, at last, find some peace. He was a wonderful entertainer, and his music brought joy to many, but it cost him dearly.
I fear for Michael's three children, although they are not biological children, and what will happen to them. I really hope that they will not be exploited now that Jackson has passed. I must say that I find it odd that he would have 'had' these children to begin with, knowing what fame did to his own childhood, but I have to imagine that he thought he could do right by them. Still, I find it hard to believe that they could possibly have had normal or healthy childhood thus far. I worry for them. I really hope that the world will let them be in peace as well.
Farewell, Michael.

#478340 - Fri Jun 26 2009 12:07 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
robbieh Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Coachella California USA
His music meant a great deal to me and to my family, and I'm so sorry his life has ended. He was obviously a tortured soul. I much prefer to remember him for all the wonderful music he gave us.

The moment I'll always remember was his performance on Motown's 25th Anniversary Special, when he sang "Billie Jean" and did the moonwalk for the first time. The audience went berserk, and when I got to work the next morning, everyone was saying the same thing: "Did you see Michael last night?" For a time, he was the most adored entertainer on the planet. I just want to remember those days.

#478341 - Fri Jun 26 2009 01:56 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Dijon France via S Wales UK
I most pleased to report that the posts made on this thread by FT members are by FAR the most respectful posts I have read on this subject.

I am quite frankly disgusted, with many of the posts made by people I always considered as friends, on other forums that I frequent.

We are all aware of the somewhat unusual lifestyle that Jackson led toward the end of his life, and indeed the sexual allegations that were made against him, but the man is DEAD for heavens sake, so why can't the people I referred to above, show a little RESPECT!

The media it seems, are also in a frenzy to either totally exonerate and sanctify him, or to absolutely rip him apart!
There are also 'get rich quick' companies manufacturing all kinds of memorabilia to cash in on Jackson's fame and popularity, before his body is even laid to rest!

This whole fiasco makes me sick to my stomach ............

#478342 - Fri Jun 26 2009 02:54 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
It is more than sad with anyone's death, but Michael gave so much to the world, a vent, and music is one of those rare things that tends to bring people of the world together. Nobody knew him well except for a very close circle of people. It is amazing that some can come out of the woodwork like cockroaches and share unjustfiable comments about someone who has passed, because they let the media control their minds. I say, clean you own backyard up first. Any death is sad, and with his passing it compounds things with his children. Money money money, and you can bet there will be a huge fight by every person so-called close to him to gain custody. Michael was not broke as the media loved to thought-provoke in the airways. A full toilet sells subscriptions compared to an empty one. Whether he died of a 'normal' heart attack, or prescription drug abuse, or tripped on a lawn sprinkler, it is nobody's elses business to judge. He gave the world a tremendous vent with his music, and that is what he should be remembered for. People should look in their own closet all the way back to their sixth birthday. What have they hidden since?

#478343 - Sat Jun 27 2009 09:46 AM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Musically, I preferred Jackson's work in the '70s both solo and with the Jackson 5. The more soulful the output the better the results.

Never cared much for "Thriller" or "Bad", though the former had its moments, and it's easy to understand the popularity behind it. After "Bad", well, to me that's when Jackson's career jumped the shark. Jackson needed a producer who could say no to the overwrought, self-indulgent songs and instead inspire Jackson to craft some truly memorable songs that were highly soulful instead of the cookie cutter crap that dominates pop music today (as well as Jackson's post-"Bad" releases).

The "King of Pop" title was a farce. It was created as a marketing device by MTV to promote Jackson's videos and MTV itself. Too bad Jackson never hooked up with a Rick Rubin or a Ahmir Thompson to produce and release some much worthy of the talent that Jackson squandered. I suppose it was the man's personal demons that got in way of creating good music.

#478344 - Sat Jun 27 2009 12:10 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

I would certainly agree with your sentiments rogue - my best memories of Jackson was when he was - dare I say it - still a cute black kid with an incredible voice!

I found his video of 'earth song' to be rather unsettling - it seemed to many, almost as though he was being portrayed as the second coming of Christ!

#478345 - Sat Jun 27 2009 12:49 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
Roofoo Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I found his video of 'earth song' to be rather unsettling - it seemed to many, almost as though he was being portrayed as the second coming of Christ!

Is there more than one version of this video? In the video I saw, I wasn't given that impression at all. Just wondering.

#478346 - Sat Jun 27 2009 01:39 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

I may have the wrong video in mind roofoo, and please know that I am in no way trying to slander Michael Jackson - I am perhaps playing 'Devils Advocate' in my comment.

The video I am referring to, shows Michael Jackson placing his hand upon the heads of children, in exactly the same manner as Christ is portrayed in the Bible!

#478347 - Sat Jun 27 2009 01:58 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
s-m-w Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cheltenham UK
Will always remember watching him live in Hamburg on his Dangerous tour 1992 and thinking I had been privileged to be able to see someone perform who had and will make music history.

He was a fantastic performer, an accomplished dancer and had the ability to sing “live” on stage.

He does not deserve the sick jokes and petty remarks from those who have no respect for the dead.

Yup, RIP Michael Jackson.

#478348 - Sat Jun 27 2009 11:43 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
Eraserhead Offline
Prolific

Loc: Outer Sydney NSW Australia    
I wasn't a fan, but there's no doubting his great talent I wasn't an Elvis fan either).

The purpose of my post is this amazing coincidence.

I work in a large government department and have done so for about 11 years. Soon after the announcement of Michael's death, a broadcast e-mail (i.e. one to everybody in the whole department) was sent by a fellow named..... Michael Jackson. Is was a proper e-mail, that it was necessary for him to send at that time. I had never received an e-mail drom him in th whole time I've worked there, BUT THAT'S NOT THE COINCIDENCE!

Of course, you would expect that he would receive a few joking e-mails like "So, the rumours about your death were greatly exaggerated" and that type of thing. The name of the first person to e-mail him (and he clicked "reply all") was a fellow named John Merrick.

Now having the same name as The Elephant Man would probably get you plenty of crass remarks normally, but here's the coincidence, which some of you may have picked up on by now.

The next erson e-maile, saying "My God, how bizarre is that, Michael Jackson has John Merrick's bones". At first I just thought "What the.....?" Then I looked it up.

Apparently, some year's ago Michael Jackson bought the bones of John Merrick, the Elephant Man. So how's that for a coincedence? Not only do Michael Jackson and John Merrick work in my department, but John Merrick was the first person to answer Michael Jackson's e-mail, minutes after the announcement of THE Michael Jackson's death!

#478349 - Mon Jun 29 2009 02:08 PM Re: Michael Jackson rushed to hospital
Roofoo Offline
Forum Champion

Wow, Eraser, that is really funny. I forgot about that whole thing with M.J. buying Merrick's bones. Whether he actually did or not, it is really weird, isn't it? What a funny story, and an odd bit of office... fun.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher