Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#480503 - Wed Jul 01 2009 12:57 AM July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Gatsby722
Wednesdays - JaneMarple
Thursdays - Deepakmr
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Any changes, just let me know

#480504 - Wed Jul 01 2009 12:58 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 1st July round
Q1. Something you associate with summer
Q2. Something you do during the summer holidays
Q3. Something you eat in the summer
Q4. Something you would see at the sea side
Q5. Something you would see at a amusement park

This round closes at the weekend

#480505 - Thu Jul 02 2009 09:35 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Round 2 – Thursday

I am back after being AWOL for some time. This round is about yet another of my favourite authors Fredrick Forsyth.

Q1: Fredrick Forsyth is a British author who is well-known for his thriller novels. Forsyth’s novels are popular because of the painstaking research carried out by him. In fact his research is so deep, that many a times, he exposed many Govt. secrets. From the Wiki page for Forsyth, please tell me the name of any of his works of fiction, whose title has one or two words only.

Q2: Forsyth’s first novel was also his most famous. ‘The Day of the Jackal’, published in 1971, is without doubt one of the greatest thriller novels ever written. The novel contains a fictional plot of an assassin’s bid to kill French President De Gaulle in the 1960s. The infamous terrorist ‘Carlos the Jackal’, reportedly got his name, because it was believed that he had a copy of Forsyth’s novel with him. Please tell me any of the words from the closing line of The Day of the Jackal.

Q3 : ‘The Fourth Protocol’ is another of Forsyth’s engrossing thrillers. The theme of this novel is a plot by a Russian spy to smuggle a nuclear device and explode it in Britain, just before the elections. The novel was made into a movie starring Pierce Brosnan and Michael Caine. From this page please tell me the names of any of the actors in the movie, whose photograph is displayed in the page.

Q4 : ‘The Fist of God’ was written by Fredrick Forsyth was written just after the Gulf War. The novel is of course fictional, but has so many real characters and situations, that it seems like a real story. Please tell me any of the real Presidents or Prime Ministers, who take part in Fredrick Forsyth’s The Fist of God .

Q5 : Fredrick Forsyth’s last novel ‘The Afghan’ was about the Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden’s latest plot. He is presently working on a novel called ‘Cobra’ and is inviting fans to contribute the name for the main character. Forsyth has written two short story collections. Please tell me any of the short stories featured in Forsyth’s collection No Comebacks.

This round will close on 7th July, Tuesday. Do let me know if you need help with any of the answers. Have a great week

#480506 - Mon Jul 06 2009 05:37 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'll close round 1 in about six hours

#480507 - Mon Jul 06 2009 09:49 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 2 (Frederick Forsyth) will be closing in about 24 hours from now. There's plenty of time for veterans and newcomers to send in your answers

#480508 - Mon Jul 06 2009 02:15 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 1st July round results

Q1. Something you associate with summer
For Ten Points:
Melty butter, Air Conditioning, Ice cream, My birthday, Fireflies, Flies, Crickets chirping at night,
For Five Points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Rain and more

Q2. Something you do during the summer holidays
For Ten Points:
Wear a swimsuit, Walk in hills, Go to a hill station, play volleyball, read mysteries, picnic, Scuba diving,
For Five Points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Swim and more

Q3. Something you eat in the summer
For Ten Points:
Mangos,
For Five Points:
Watermelon (4), Ice cream (2),
Not mentioned:
Strawberries and more

Q4. Something you would see at the sea side
For Ten Points:
Waves, Beer bellies (hanging over skimpy swimwear), water, Towels, Starfish,
For Five Points:
Shells (2),
Not mentioned:
Sand and mote

Q5. Something you would see at an amusement park
For Ten Points:
Tickets (for the various stalls), Queues, Ticket counter, public restrooms, Cotton candy, Balloons, Water slide,
For Five Points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Cuddly toys and more

SCORES
Szabs – 50
Brandz_mygirl – 45
Deepakmr – 45
Gatsby – 45
Santana – 45
Maninmidohio – 40
Mugaboo – 40

Well done to Szabs

#480509 - Tue Jul 07 2009 12:29 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday July 6 – Quiz

AL? No, just L. Another alphabet round.

1) La-Z-Boy – Recliners is what I associate with the name, those big comfy chairs that stretch out and with the TV remote in hand, food and drink nearby, one might not want to get up for a long long time, except for bathroom breaks. The La-Z-Boy website has some interesting “Design articles”. Please give me the name of any article that has the word ‘Decorating’ in the title.

2) Los Angeles, popularly known as the “Entertainment capital of the world” – The paparazzi are often seen hanging around celebrity hotspots hoping to catch a glimpse or more of some famous names. The ‘discoverlosangeles’ website has an article on ‘Following the paparazzi’ for visitors eager for a celebrity sighting. Please give me one of the best paparazzi star-stalking spots in the city per the article. (I’m not condoning paparazzis. Plenty of celebrities go out and about their own business without being photographed. Maybe they just avoid places on the list.)

3) Lodging at a lighthouse cottage? – This 7 year old article in The Guardian has some unusual holiday homes. Please tell me the name of any one of them. 9 to choose from.

4) Laura Ingalls Wilder – author of the “Little House” series of books, about the life of an American pioneer family. I enjoyed the books tremendously and adored the TV series. The ALA (American Library Association) awards the Laura Ingalls Wilder medal to “an author or illustrator whose books, published in the United States, have made, over a period of years, a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children”. Please give me the name of someone from the 2009 award committee – or- the town/city in which any of these names are listed under.

5) Laptop – (I tend to use the words ‘Laptop’ and ‘Notebook’ interchangeably. However, I have been told that a laptop is the mobile equivalent of my desktop PC while a notebook, as the name implies, is lighter and smaller and therefore likely to miss out on some of the features available on a laptop.) I’ve never bought a laptop but have used them for work. If you’re in the market for a laptop and need some tips, this site has a beginner’s guide to buying one. Please give me any one of the factors for consideration mentioned in the article.

This round will close on Sunday 12 July at noon FT time. Wishing everyone a lovely week, at work, at play, on vacation…..

#480510 - Tue Jul 07 2009 07:24 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 7 ~ Tuesday

Oh, my ? I was reading around and caught wind of a new television series (on HBO) that recently started titled "Hung"?! I read the description of it and, let's just say, was pretty shocked that somebody thought it the stuff worthy of a theme for a TV program (but, to my further surprise, the critics are loving it - calling it *smart* and *funny* and *well-acted* ). I didn't dare write a quiz themed around such a show. So I just used the title ...

1. To start, let's look at a fellow named Bob Noone - who is the front man for an act called "The Well Hung Jury". He's a prankster indeed, being a devout satirist and [self-proclaimed, mind you] 'comedic genius' whose audiences range from family physicians to federal judges ... trial lawyers to insurance executives. Bob's live show is always an uproarious evening of song & story, though. He snitches melodies from familiar tunes of the pop, doo-wop, disco, and gospel genres, and quickly gets busy transforming current events into crazy lyrics and stories. Noone's a lawyer himself, too, by the way -- so he generally earns rave reviews for his 'gigs', because he has the inside track to his material! If nothing else, his brand of humor is distinctive at best. How can you miss when you're considered a blend of Elvis Presley, Robin Williams, and Perry Mason? Bob Noone has, natch, his own website and on it there is a page of (pretty darned funny, in spots) Lawyer Jokes. Kindly tell me one of them that STARTS with the word *What's* (NOT *What*). Shortened versions are fine to submit ...

2. Released in October 2005, singer/dancer/actress Madonna released a single (that she also co-wrote) titled "Hung Up" on her solo album 'Confessions on a Dance Floor'. It initially popped up in a number of television advertisements, but eventually became a modest hit on its own. Part of its appeal, perhaps, was that it contains (some might say 'ripped off'? ... except Madonna got permission to use them) samples of ABBA's hit song "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)". Oh, and another [trivial] thing: it was also the very first of Miss Madonna's singles to be available on iTunes. Other than that, though, in my opinion? Nuttin' much special about the tune. Regardless, I'd like to know a line in the lyrics of "Hung Up" that starts with the WORD(S) *I* -or- *I'm*, please.

3. Hung To Seafood Restaurant on South Spruce Avenue has been serving the South San Francisco community since 2001, specializing in dim sum (tea, dumplings, and little bit of heart - as owners Laling Law, who handles the front-of-house, and her husband Fat Chiu, who is the chef, like to describe it). Such restaurants are not unique to that area of the US, but this one seems to stand out due to its large and consistent reputation for the 'warmth' of its atmosphere. The food is reportedly top-notch ... but the hospitality makes it taste even better. The prices seem (I reckon?) mostly reasonable, too. So, tell me: were you and your party to indulge in the $308 Banquet at Hung To Restaurant, what might be one of the nine items brought to your table? Note: if the menu says, say, *ham and eggs*? That'd be your answer, OK? NOT one of the two separate components ...

4. In '67 a film was released that assured two things -- first that, often, the title of a movie is far more interesting and/or entertaining than the contents of it. And second? That it was about then that screen legend Rosalind Russell's career was coming to its inevitable end (since she'd been reduced to starring in such dreck). This classic [ahem] cinema's tagline? "This motion picture will probably do as much for mothers as 'Moby Dick' did for whales... " Actually, it was based on a play that managed 47 performances on Broadway (no one liked it very much there, either, to be honest) -- telling the tale of a mother who drops her son and husband off at a tropical vacation spot for a little rest and relaxation. The only problem is that the husband has been dead for quite some time, and his wife had him stuffed and carries him around with her. Complications ensue?! Indeed. I'm sure it was all meant to be quite Shakespearean . At any rate, please tell me any other actor/actress in the 1967 comedy film Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mama's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad, excluding Miss Russell.

5 "Celebrity Deathmatch" was one crazy little TV show ~ initially airing on MTV, then shifting over to MTV2, starting in the latter 1990s. It's a 'claymation parody' that pits celebrities against each other in a wrestling ring, almost always ending in the loser's gruesome (and that's an apt description, I assure you) death. It is known for its excessive amount of blood used in every match and exaggerated physical injuries (e.g., one person pulls off his opponent's foot, etc.). Despite the faux gore, the program was fun (in its own very offbeat way ... here's an example of it, with Stallone battling Schwarzenegger ). One episode a few years ago included William Hung, a totally bad singer [who was 'discovered' while auditioning for "American Idol" -- and who has built a career on making one horrible album after the next since, being the brunt of collective jokes endlessly]. This time, tell me the name of a woman, clay-ish as she happened to be, who fought in any "bout" during the telecasts of "Celebrity Deathmatch" that aired between June 10, 2006-July 29, 2006 (on MTV2, Season 5). Your answer will be just one lady, not two, OK?

This particular Round will hang around until Sunday at noon(ish). Have a great week, folks !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jul 07 2009 08:13 AM)

#480511 - Tue Jul 07 2009 08:22 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 2 – Thursday
Frederick Forsyth

Six sizzling players participated in this round.

Q1: From the Wiki page for Forsyth, please tell me the name of any of his works of fiction, whose title has one or two words only.

For 10 points: The Afghan

For 5 points: The Negotiator (5) Seems to be very popular

Not mentioned : The Shepherd; No Comebacks; The Deceiver; Icon; The Veteran and Avenger.

Q2: Please tell me any of the words from the closing line of The Day of the Jackal.

For 10 points: The; Jackal; over

For 5 points: was (3)

Not mentioned : Day and of.

Q3: From this page please tell me the names of any of the actors in the movie, whose photograph is displayed in the page.

For 10 points: Ned Beatty; Joanna Cassidy

For 5 points: Pierce Brosnan (4)

Not mentioned : Michael Caine; Julia Verdin; Roy Alon; Sam Douglas and Phillip Jackson.

Q4: Please tell me any of the Heads of State or Government, who appear in Fredrick Forsyth’s The Fist of God.

For 10 points: Mikhail Gorbachev; George Bush

For 5 points: Itzhak Shamir (2); Margaret Thatcher (2)

Not mentioned : John Major; Saddam Hussein and Taha Rahadam.

Q5: Please tell me any of the short stories featured in Forsyth’s collection No Comebacks.

For 10 points: Money with Menace; The Emperor

For 5 points: Privilege (2); A Careful Man (2)

Not mentioned : No Comebacks; There are no Snakes in Ireland; There are Some Days; Used in Evidence; Duty and Sharp Practice.

The final results:

40 points: szabs
35 points: Mugaboo, brandz_mygirl and Gatsby722
30 points: maninmidohio
25 points: denni19

A very tough competition for this round and it is szabs who emerges winner. Congrats to szabs for winning a trivia point for July. Thanks to all the loyal participants. Have a nice week

#480512 - Wed Jul 08 2009 02:07 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 8th July round
Q1 A film beginning with L
Q2 A song title beginning with L
Q3 A book title beginning with L
Q4 An eight letter word beginning with L
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with L
This closes at the weekend!

#480513 - Thu Jul 09 2009 08:51 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Round 9 – Thursday

This round is about something that everyone, especially kids, like to eat and that is chocolate.

Q1: It is believed that the Mayas and the Aztecs were consuming chocolate beverages as early as 1100 BC. Initially chocolate was used in the form of a drink, but its more popular use is in the form of chocolate bars and other such snacks. Chocolate is made from the seeds of the cacoa tree. Cocoa is mostly grown in the Southern part of America. From Wikipedia, please tell me the name of any country that produces more than 1% of the world’s cocoa.

Q2: Chocolate is of course the favourite snack not only for children but also people of all ages. The British company Cadbury is the leading chocolate manufacturer in the world. Cadbury’s products are so popular, that the word Cadbury is used instead of ‘chocolate’. I am a loyal customer of Cadbury and religiously use all their products . From the website of Cadbury India, please tell me any of the brand names that they sell in India.

Q3 : Another famous chocolate manufacturer is the Swiss company Nestle. There are a number of popular brands from the house of Nestle. KitKat is a popular chocolate brand made by Nestle. Please tell me any of the ingredients in the Kit Kat chocolate made in the USA.

Q4 : Apart from the chocolate bars, candies and beverages, chocolate ice-cream and cakes are very popular. The Black Forest cake is one of my favourites. This is of course a very rich cake, with layers of chocolate cake, cream and cherries. allrecipes.com is a website that has many recipes; from their website, please tell me any of the nutritional information (per serving) for Black Forest Chocolate Cake.

Q5 : Chocolate is considered by some to be bad for teeth and health. But the truth is that chocolate is good for health and many studies have proved the health benefits of chocolate. The flavonoids in chocolate are believed to have lots of benefits. The California Academy of Sciences has some interesting facts about chocolate in its website. From those facts, please tell me any of the facts about chocolate as food and medicine.

After making this yummy round, I am off to sample one of Cadbury’s products. Please send your answers before 14th July, Tuesday. Have a sweet week

#480514 - Sat Jul 11 2009 01:39 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 11 - Saturday 11th July

1. The Royal Show in Warwickshire has just had it's last show. It's first show was at Oxford in 1839, and the show has been held every year since, bar the war years. Please give me a program item for the Grand Ring for it's last day (10th July).

2. On this day in 1274 Robert the Bruce was born. There is a completely false legend about Robert seeing a spider spinning a web in a cave, which gave him the will to keep on trying to defeat the English. That myth was put about by a descendant of Bruce's, Sir Walter Scott in his book "Tales of a Grandfather". Please give my a book Sir Walter Scott wrote as a Waverley Novel

3. A similarledgend to Bruce's spider, is a Persian tale of Tamerlane and an ant. Bruce's spider took eight attempts, while Tamerlane's ant succeeded in pushing a grain of corn over on it's seventieth attempt. From the poem "Tamerlane" by Edgar Allan Poe, please give me any line that begins with the letter "H".

4. Name any dog that went into space with the Russian Sputnik flights.

5. Rupert Grint has just recovered from swine flu after contracted it while filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Other than Mr. Grint, please tell me any actror/actress who appears in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Thursday (noon FT time) is when this round will close, so all aboard who ever you are, have a crack.

#480515 - Sat Jul 11 2009 09:56 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 will be closing up in 24 hours, kids !

#480516 - Sat Jul 11 2009 11:06 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 6 too will be closing in just under 12 hours (forgot to post the 24 hour notice).

#480517 - Sun Jul 12 2009 09:19 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 ~ Tuesday
"***Hung"
Six dazzling players this time !

1. Bob Noone has, natch, his own website and on it there is a page of (pretty darned funny, in spots) Lawyer Jokes. Kindly tell me one of them that STARTS with the word *What's* (NOT *What*).

For 10 Points:
Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead lawyer in the road? (A: There are skid marks in front of the dog.); Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a vampire? (A: A vampire only sucks blood at night.); Q: What's the difference between a tick and a lawyer? (A: The tick drops off after you're dead.)
For 5 Points:
Q: What's black and brown and looks good on a lawyer? (A: A doberman pinscher.) (3)

The other ones were: Q: What's the difference between God and a lawyer? (A: God doesn't think he's a lawyer.); Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a trampoline? (A: You take off your shoes to jump on a trampoline!); Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a boxing referee? (A: A boxing referee doesn't get paid more for a longer fight.); Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and two lawyers in a Porsche? (A: The porcupine has the pricks on the outside.); Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a vulture? (A: The lawyer gets frequent flyer miles.); Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a gigolo? (A: A gigolo only screws one person at a time.) -AND- Q: What's the difference between lawyers and potholes? (A: People try to avoid hitting potholes! -or- A: People do not run over the same pothole more than once.)

2. Regardless, I'd like to know a line in the lyrics of "Hung Up" that starts with the WORD(S) *I* -or- *I'm*, please.

For 10 Points:
I can't keep on waiting for you; I'm caught up; I'm fed up; I'm tired of waiting on you
For 5 Points:
I'm hung up on you (2)

'I'm hung up', 'I don't know what to do', 'I'm hanging up on you' -and- 'I know that you're still hesitating' would've worked as well.

3. So, tell me: were you and your party to indulge in the $308 Banquet at Hung To Restaurant, what might be one of the nine items brought to your table?

For 10 Points:
Braised Sea Cucumber w/ Tender Greens, Crispy Fried Chicken, Fried Rice w/ Minced Beef & Egg White, Sauteed Conch & Scallops w/ Chives
For 5 Points:
House Special Combination Appetizer (2)

The banquet also includes Deep Fried Shrimp Balls, Shark's Fin Soup w/ Shredded Chicken & Abalone, Crispy Crabs w/ Minced Salted Egg -and- Steamed Seasonal Fish.

4. At any rate, please tell me any other actor/actress in the 1967 comedy film Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mama's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad, excluding Miss (Rosalind) Russell.

For 10 Points:
Hugh Griffith, Lionel Jeffries, George Kirby, Jonathan Winters
For 5 Points:
Cyril Delevanti (2)

Leaving Robert Morse, Barbara Harris, Hiram Sherman and Janis Hansen not mentioned today ....

5. This time, tell me the name of a woman, clay-ish as she happened to be, who fought in any "bout" during the telecasts of "Celebrity Deathmatch" that aired between June 10, 2006-July 29, 2006 (on MTV2, Season 5).

For 10 Points:
No one this time !
For 5 Points:
Paris Hilton (2), Kelly Osbourne (2), Gwen Stefani (2)

Nicole Richie, Mary-Kate Olsen, Ashley Olsen, Missy Elliott and Pamela Anderson also 'entered the ring' on the program, too.

The Results!

45 Points! .... Mugaboo
40 Points! .... denni19, szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deepakmr
30 Points! .... maninmidohio

Congratulations and a monthly point, then, happily assigned to Mugaboo who managed to hang the toughest in that very close race. Thank you, everyone, for playing !

#480518 - Sun Jul 12 2009 10:52 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

July 6 Round – Answers

Six superb players for AL? No, just L.

1) The La-Z-Boy website has some interesting “Design articles”. Please give me the name of any article that has the word ‘Decorating’ in the title.
For Ten Points: Back to Basics Decorating: “How to” Tips for Transforrming that First House into a Home, Decorating with Color is as Easy as One Two Three
For Five Points: Color is the Key to Today’s Home Decorating (2), Small Places Make Way for Big Decorating Options (2)
Not mentioned: Decorating 101: Expert Tips for Getting Started, When it Comes to Decorating Customers Stay True to Tradition, When it Comes to Decorating Too Much can be More Than Enough.

2) The ‘discoverlosangeles’ website has an article on ‘Following the paparazzi’ for visitors eager for a celebrity sighting. Please give me one of the best paparazzi star-stalking spots in the city per the article.
For Ten Points: Carbon Beach, Malibu Country Mart
For Five Points: Barneys New York (2), The Ivy Restaurant (2)
Not mentioned: Chris McMillan The Salon, Fred Segal, Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, Kitson, LAX, Studio City Farmers Market, Sunset Strip, The Grove.

3) This 7 year old article in The Guardian has some unusual holiday homes. Please tell me the name of any one of them. 9 to choose from.
For Ten Points: Danescombe Mine Calstock, Old Light
For Five Points: The Old Smithy (2), The Water Tower (2)
Not mentioned: Old Ferryman’s Cottage, St Michael and All Angels, Star Point Cottages, The Potting Shed, The Signal Box Glenbeigh.

4) Please give me the name of someone from the 2009 award (the Laura Ingalls Wilder medal awarded by the ALA) committee – or- the town/city in which any of these names are listed under.
For Ten Points: Barbara Elleman, Carla Kozak, Chesapeake VA, San Francisco CA, South Hadley MA, Therese Bigelow
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Amanda Williams, Austin TX, Boston MA, Cathryn M. Mercier.

5) If you’re in the market for a laptop and need some tips, this site has a beginner’s guide to buying one. Please give me any one of the factors for consideration mentioned in the article.
For Ten Points: Battery Life, Connectivity, Input Devices, Price
For Five Points: Storage and Memory (2)
Not mentioned: Brand, Built-in Devices and Ports, Ergonomics and General Feel, Processing Power, Size and Weight, Software.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Denni & Deepakmr Good job to our two winners!

Other Results:
40 points: Szabs & Maninmidohio
35 points: Gatsby
30 points: Mugaboo

#480519 - Mon Jul 13 2009 01:10 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'll close Wednesday's round eight later today

#480520 - Mon Jul 13 2009 05:20 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 10 Friday

My sincere apologies to all for not posting these before, but I have been internetless for a few days , hopefully all is back to normal.

Some of you may recall from a previous round that I spent a few years growing up in Venezuela, so I thought lets go back there and give you another round on what I considered to be a beautiful country in those days.

1. Morrocoy National Park is located in the state of Falcon, in the northwest part of the country. The park is known for its islands and keys with white sand beaches and coral reefs. The national park was created in 1974 to protect the extensive mangrove channels home to many marine birds and the ecosystems found on its 30 coralline islands and keys. From this site go to beaches and Keys , and give me the name of one of the beaches or keys (cayos) mentioned.

2. One of the most beautiful regions in Venezuela is "Los Llanos", those huge plains where only the horizon stops your sight. Both, the vegetation and the fauna are full of beauty. In this region there are only two very different seasons, where life changes completely: Rainy and dry season. In the rainy season, the woods, the rivers, the trees show all their beauty. A large part of the region is under the water. In the dry season everything becomes yellow and brown, and the dust covers most part of the plains, but that is when all the wildlife converges in the few spots where water is present. It is the season where you can see more birds and animals. From this page please tell me an animal that can be seen in the llanos.

3. Santiago de los Caballeros de Mérida, is the capital of the state of Mérida, and is one of the principal cities of the Venezuelan Andes. Founded in 1558 it played an important role in the War of Independance, its name means Saint James of the Knights of Merida, although the city now a days is just called Merida. It is the main center for education and tourism in western Venezuela and still to this day keeps its colonial appearance. Mérida is at an altitude of approximately 1,600 meters (5,249 ft). The backdrop of Mérida's skyline is the country's highest summit, Pico Bolívar in the Andes mountains. From this page please tell me a monument, public building, historic place, or religious building that can be visited.

4. Ciudad Bolívar is the capital of Venezuela's southeastern Bolivar State. It was founded with the name Angostura in 1764, renamed in 1846. The town lies at a narrowing of the Orinoco River and the original name was a contraction of the town's full descriptive name, 'Santo Tomé de Guayana de Angostura del Orinoco', "Saint Thomas of Guayana of the narrows of the Orinoco." The city lies at a spot where the Orinoco narrows to about 1 mile (1.6 km) in width. One of the Orinoco Basin's chief commercial centers, its main products include gold, iron ore, cattle, hides and rare woods. The town also gave its name to the Angostura tree (Cusparia febrifuga) which grows in the area. The bark of the small shrub-like tree was traditionally used as a bitter tonic and fever reducer. Angostura bitters were invented there, though the company which produced them has since moved to Trinidad and Tobago. From the Ciudad Bolivar wiki page, please tell me one of the sites of interest to visit.

5. Caracas the capital of Venezuela, is located in the north of the country, following the contours of the narrow Caracas Valley on the Venezuelan coastal mountain range (Cordillera de la Costa). The valley's temperatures are spring like making it a very pleasant city to live in. The valley is close to the Caribbean Sea, separated from the coast by a steep 2200 m (7400 ft) high mountain range, Cerro Ávila; to the south there are more hills and mountains and Caracas is about 750 – 900m above sea level. From the Caracas wiki page, please give me any caption underneath any of the pictures on that page.

This round will close on Saturday 18th of July, just pm me if you have any queries, in the meantime have a great week.

#480521 - Mon Jul 13 2009 10:43 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Trivia Round veterans and newcomers : Your kind attention please - Round 9 (Chocolate) will be closing in around 24 hours from now. There's still plenty of time to send your answers

#480522 - Mon Jul 13 2009 01:24 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 8th July results

Q1 A film beginning with L
FOR TEN POINTS:
Lions for Lambs (2007), Lost Continent (1951), Lust for Life (1956), Letters from Iwo Jima, Lovely and Amazing, Last Tango in Paris,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Love actually and more

Q2 A song title beginning with L
FOR TEN POINTS:
Love Me For A Reason (Osmonds), Life After Diamond Head (Men Without Hats), "Lazy Water" by The Byrds, Love and Happiness (Al Green), Love gets me everytime – Shania Twain, Luck Be a Lady Tonight (Guys and Dolls),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Love me do and more

Q3 A book title beginning with L
FOR TEN POINTS:
Leopard in the Sun (by Siegfried Stander), Leonardo’s Swans (Karen Essex), "Lip Kisses", by Stella Chaplin, Lucky Man: A Memoir (Michael J. Fox), Love Among the Chickens – PG Wodehouse, Lost Horizons,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Little red hen (fairy tale) and more

Q4 An eight letter word beginning with L
FOR TEN POINTS:
Lecturer, Levitate, Lunching, Lavatory, Lacrosse, Lumpfish
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Laughing and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with L
FOR TEN POINTS:
Lemon Sole, Leyden Cheese, Lentil soup, Lemon meringue pie, Ladies finger, Licorice whips,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Licorice allsorts and more

COMPETITORS – 6
SCORES
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Deepakmr - 50
Gatsby – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs - 50
Well done Brandz_my girl, Deepakmr, Gatsby, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo and Szabs

#480523 - Tue Jul 14 2009 02:48 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday July 13 – Quiz

Let’s go for a Run.

1) Tower running – I recently walked up the stairs to the 14th floor. It wasn’t too horrible an experience, my calf muscles were burning, my thigh muscles felt wooden but I made it. Now imagine running up 10 times as many floors of stairs. The CN Tower in Toronto has 147 floors or 1,776 stairs. The CN Tower Climb for WWF-Canada was held on 16 and 18 April 2009. From the Public Climb results, please give me the name of either one of the top five fastest Men climbers –or- one of the top five fastest Female climbers.

2) Free running – I watched a Discovery channel program on free running some time ago. It was fascinating to watch, the seemingly effortless running and acrobatic movements as the runners move through a city landscape, using whatever features available, be it wall, gate, railings, buildings, to move continuously. Free running is all about “creating an athletic and aesthetically pleasing way of moving” per the Wikipedia article. As in any extreme sports, a lot of the movements and the jumps looked, and probably are, highly dangerous. “Jump London” is a 2003 documentary about free running. Excluding the cast, please tell me any of the crew that was involved in the making of the documentary.

3) Running on the treadmill – I was surprised by the number of Treadmill running vs. outdoor running articles. Anyway, this question is not heading that-a-way. From here, please give me any tips for treadmill running. (Personal tip of mine: Don’t get distracted when using a treadmill. I almost fell off a treadmill once because I was watching the big TV screen. Saved myself by a very ungraceful grab of the hand rail.)

4) Preparing for a marathon – It’s not just about the physical and mental training, it’s also about getting your diet right. BBC Sport has an article “The recipe for marathon success” published in March 2005. Please give me any ingredient from the Spicy Burrito recipe from that article.

5) Road running – is as the name implies. Most people who run will do so on the roads or at least on the pavements by the roads. Running on roads causes more stress impacts on knees and feet then using a running track or taking a cross country route. It is therefore important to have on a pair of good running shoes. “Run the Planet” has some “Running Shoe articles”. Please give me the title of any of the articles.

This round (late again I know) will close on Sunday 19 July at noon FT time. Wishing everyone a wonderful week.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Jul 14 2009 02:53 AM)

#480524 - Tue Jul 14 2009 11:46 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 14 ~ Tuesday

When in doubt, what to do? Why, dig out the Trivial Pursuit game, o' course, and grab a card. Or five.

1. First up is the Wild Card category, and we're randomly asked: "What U.S. billionaire called Nazi troops that had crushed Poland *fine-looking, honest fellows*"? The answer: J. Paul Getty. Huh? I didn't take the time to find out why Mr. Getty said such a thing (my hunch is that I'd not ultimately like knowing ). But anyway ... Jean Paul Getty (1892-1976) was an American industrialist who lived his last 24 years in the United Kingdom. He founded the Getty Oil Company, and in 1957 Fortune magazine named him the richest living American ~ upon his death, he was worth more than $2 billion. A book published in 1996 ranked him as the 67th richest American who ever lived, based on his wealth as a percentage of the gross national product. He was also married and divorced five times in his life, ending up bearing six sons with four of his wives. So tell me: what was the name of any of J. Paul Getty's six sons -OR- the name of the mother of any of those offspring.

2. Science & Nature is where we go next ~ "What useless human organ is also called *vermiform* because of its wormlike shape?" That'd be the appendix. Pretty useless, too, when it comes to thinking up interesting questions about it, I might add . But I found a song that fits! It's "I Am A Heart, Watson. The Rest Of Me Is Mere Appendix", a tune by the 'interesting' American indie rock band called Forgive Durden. The group is from Seattle, Washington, and their (slightly unusual) name is from the popular novel/film Fight Club. That song is not on their 2008 album "Razia's Shadow: A Musical", though. On that project they offer a 'musical' featuring members of several popular bands (incl. Gatsby's American Dream, no less, which I couldn't resist mentioning). The project is often interpreted as being highly allegorical for the Bible and the story of Christ, and [I say so, not expecting to] it's actually both interesting and pretty well done, in my opinion. Please tell me a character in "Razia's Shadow: A Musical", excluding 'The Narrator'. Thank you !

3. Now we have Sports & Leisure, and are asked "What 1975 fad did inventor Joshua Reynolds describe as *portable biofeedback aids*"? Sigh. As we all wax nostalgic? Mood Rings are accessories which contain a thermochromic element that changes color in response to the body temperature of the wearer. The color is said, by some proponents, to indicate the emotional state of the wearer ... but a more likely truth is that they indicate whether you're sweating like a horse and/or dangerously feverish (or not), period . The rings were invented in the late 1960s by Marvin Wernick when he accompanied a doctor friend to a nearby emergency. When his friend used a strip of thermotropic material to gauge an ailing child's temperature by applying the strip directly to his forehead, jewelry designer Wernick knew he had the makings of a winning item. Over on the 'Love To Know' website ~ where, they allege, one can always "get the answers you need on family, health, fashion and entertainment", they naturally address the jewelry known as Mood Rings. Have a look at their Mood Ring Color chart (using that site only), and then share with me both a color and said color's meaning that might show up when you're wearing one.

4. History is our next endeavor: "What U.S. president inspired the 'Washington Post' newspaper to coin the term *credibility gap*"? 'Twas the ever non-photogenic Lyndon Baines Johnson who popularized that buzz phrase, with a speech addressing all the wildly swirling rhetoric surrounding the Vietnam war. A few years later it became even more especially useful as it applied to another president (but we won't be dissing poor Richard Nixon here today ). Anyway, LBJ made another speech (on March 31, 1968) that dealt further with steps being taken to limit US involvement in Vietnam -- and it also announced his decision NOT to seek re-election in the forthcoming election. Please tell me a word in the sentence near the end of that speech that starts with "But let men everywhere ..." that has seven or more letters in it (and you may not use 'everywhere', OK?).

5. We'll be wrapping this up today in the Arts & Entertainment arena of matters. Somebody'd like to know "What sitcom family is convinced that Jell-O is an alien life form?" Yes, it'd be those crazy Solomons (from Third Rock From The Sun) - as aliens themselves, all becoming Earthlings in bodies that are, let's just say, not 'quite right'. The wise old one finds himself trapped in the body of a hormonal teenager, the heretofore male weapons and security officer is now a bodacious (and ultimately frisky) blonde bombsell, and so forth. Silly, but wildly popular, fun. The star of the show was respected [and often 'serious'] actor John Lithgow who has been nominated for, and lost, a couple of Oscars in his day - but nabbed more than one Emmy for his work in "Third Rock". He's won a Tony, too, for Best Actor in the Broadway musical "Sweet Smell of Success" (2002). That show opened in and ran for three months at the Martin Beck Theatre (now the Al Hirschfeld), a theatre that opened in 1924. To close, then, tell me any production that showed at the Martin Beck Theatre in its early days - notably 1924, 1925, or 1926.

This will close up, as usual, on Sunday in the neighborhood of noon. Have fun, and have a good summertime week, too !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jul 14 2009 01:28 PM)

#480525 - Wed Jul 15 2009 02:09 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 15th July

Today, “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince” movie is released in the UK. So this is a Potter themed quiz. If you need any help, send me a PM!

Q1 A teacher who has taught Defence Against the Dark Arts during the series – there are lots to choose from!
Q2 A member of the Weasley family
Q3 In 2008, J. K. Rowling released “The Tales of Beedle the Bard”, with five short stories in it. Name me one of them.
Q4 A shop you may find in Diagon Alley, where witches and wizards can buy all they need. (Lots to choose from!)
Q5 A magical animal found in the Wizarding world
This will close over the weekend!

#480526 - Fri Jul 17 2009 08:10 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 17

I apologize for being among the missing two weeks ago, work deadlines were just too tight for me to get in my round. But I am back now with what I think is a very important round.

During my time at Hobart College, no event had more meaning for me than what happened on November 22, 1963. I was in my Western Civilization II seminar with about 20 other students when the chapel bells began to ring. This was very unusual and we had no idea what was going on. Eventually a student came into the room and said that President Kennedy had been shot. We were all stunned and drifted out of class, most of us instinctively heading to the school chapel. We learned that he had died in Dallas. It was a Friday that this happened and the school was dismissed to resume late the following week following the funeral. I was watching TV at home with my parents on Sunday morning when Lee Harvey Oswald was being transferred from police headquarters to the county jail when Jack Ruby shot Oswald while the transfer was being aired live. Live coverage of the funeral of John F. Kennedy on Monday, November 25, was aired by all of the major stations.

Kennedy and Camelot had been symbols to us of a wondrous time when the world seemed to be becoming a better place in tune with the ideals of our generation. The assassination became a watershed where after life’s realities were forced upon us. We learned that Camelot was not as great as we had thought. The groundwork was already in place for our deeper involvement in Viet Nam, Kennedy’s personal life left much to be desired, and the racial problems were still very much with us.

This round will be the Kennedy Assassination Round.

1. Parkland Hospital in Dallas was one of the centers of activity that afternoon when Kennedy was shot. Immediately after the shots were fired the presidential and vice-presidential cars went to Parkland where Kennedy was pronounced dead and the grave injuries to Governor Connelly were treated. Johnson was taken to Air Force One to be brought back to Washington. Early statements by doctors at Parkland led to some of the later doubting of the official report of the assassination. Parkland is still an important medical facility for Dallas. Please tell me the name of one of the current Board of Managers of Parkland Hospital who are responsible for the governance of the hospital.

2. The official state funeral for John F. Kennedy was held on Monday, November 25. At Mrs. Kennedy’s request an eternal flame was installed at the gravesite. This flame became a symbol of the hope that his administration had inspired in so many people. It was a popular symbol and was used on a 1964 commemorative U.S. postage stamp that commemorated the slain president. A phrase from Kennedy’s inauguration address was used on that stamp. Please tell me a word from that phrase used on the 1964 Kennedy commemorative stamp.

3. Within a week of the assassination President Lyndon Johnson appointed a commission to study and report on the event. This became known as the Warren Commission. Please tell me a member of the Warren Commission other than the chairman, Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren.

4. Please give me the name of one of the chapters of the Report of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy, the final report produced by the Warren Commission.

5. The fatal shots were fired from the window on the sixth floor of the Texas School Depository Building in Dallas, TX. The building is now called the Dallas County Administration Building. But part of the building is now called the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza that has a permanent exhibit devoted to President Kennedy and the events that took place in 1963. The Sixth Floor Museum has hosted several special exhibits since 2000, please tell me the name of one of those exhibits.

This round will finish noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, July 22. If you have any problems with any of the questions, do not hesitate to send a message. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Edited by maninmidohio (Fri Jul 17 2009 08:11 AM)

#480527 - Fri Jul 17 2009 10:21 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 11 - 6 played

1. Please give me a program item for the Grand Ring for it's last day (10th July).
For 10 points: Breakdown Show Jumping; Pairs Heavy Horse Turnouts; Beef & Dairy Teams of Five Championship; Topspec Supreme In Hand Champion Horse or Pony & Awards; Kangaroo Kid; Supreme Ridden Championship
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Set up Show Jumping; Show Jumping Class 6 Royal Show Challenge; Band - 1066 Pipes and Drums; Heavy Horse Muscial Drive; Inter Hunt Team Relay followed by Parade of Hounds; Closing ceremony

2. Please give my a book Sir Walter Scott wrote as a Waverley Novel.
For 10 points: Guy Mannering; Kenilworth; Peveril of the Peak; Redgauntlet
For 5 points: St. Ronan's Well [2]
Not mentioned include: Rob Roy; Ivanhoe; The Pirate

3. From the poem "Tamerlane" by Edgar Allan Poe, please give me any line that begins with the letter "H".
For 10 points: Had gilded with a conquerer's name; Hath left his iron gate ajar; Her own Alexis, who should plight; Her smile is chilly and her beam
For 5 points: Had thrown her mantle over me [2]
Others: He did two versions of poem, one original and then one cut down version - answers from either were accepted.

4. Name any dog that went into space with the Russian Sputnik flights.
For 10 points: Chernushka; Zvezdochka
For 5 points: ;Mushka [2]; Pchelka [2]
Not mentioned: Belka; Laika; Strelka

5. Please tell me any actror/actress who appears in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
For 10 points: Jim Broadbent; Scarlett Bryrne; Devon Murray; Timothy Spall; Julie Walters; Emma Watson
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Michael Gambon; Daniel Radcliffe; Alan Rickman

Scores:

45 points: Deepakmr; Gatsby722; Maninmidohio; Szabs
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Denni19

A close round this one, so close it produced four winners. Well done Deepakmr, Gatsby722, Maninmidohio and Szabs.

Edited by Mugaboo (Fri Jul 17 2009 12:00 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002