Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#480528 - Fri Jul 17 2009 11:18 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a reminder Round 10 will be closing in about 18 hours. Plenty of time to send in your answers, and newcomers are more than welcome .

#480529 - Sat Jul 18 2009 08:58 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 13 will be closing in approx. 26 hours....

#480530 - Sat Jul 18 2009 10:13 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
24 (-ish) hours to go for Round 14, too ...

#480531 - Sun Jul 19 2009 03:52 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 10 Answers

We had five brave players that participated in the Venezuela round.

1. Morrocoy National Park The national park was created in 1974 to protect the extensive mangrove channels home to many marine birds and the ecosystems found on its 30 coralline islands and keys. From this site go to beaches and Keys , and give me the name of one of the beaches or keys (cayos) mentioned.

10 Points to all : Cayo Peraza, Mero beach, Cayo Sombrero, Punta Brava, Playuela
Among Others: Boca Seca, Cayo Pelón, Paíclas

2. One of the most beautiful regions in Venezuela is "Los Llanos", those huge plains where only the horizon stops your sight. Both, the vegetation and the fauna are full of beauty. In this region there are only two very different seasons, where life changes completely: Rainy and dry season. From this page please tell me an animal that can be seen in the llanos.

For 10 Points : Red howler monkey, Cow, Fox
For 5 Points : Donkey (2)
The Others: Cayman, Capybara, Iguana, Tortoise, Deer

3. Santiago de los Caballeros de Mérida, is the capital of the state of Mérida. Mérida is at an altitude of approximately 1,600 meters (5,249 ft). The backdrop of Mérida's skyline is the country's highest summit, Pico Bolívar in the Andes mountains. From this page please tell me a monument, public building, historic place, or religious building that can be visited.

For 10 Points : House of former governors, Iglesia de la Tercera, Rectorate’s building,
For 5 Points : Iglesia del Carmen (2)
Among Others: Cable Car, Cathedral of Mérida, Iglesia del Llano

4. Ciudad Bolívar is the capital of Venezuela's southeastern Bolivar State. It was founded with the name Angostura in 1764, renamed in 1846. The town lies at a narrowing of the Orinoco River and the original name was a contraction of the town's full descriptive name, 'Santo Tomé de Guayana de Angostura del Orinoco', "Saint Thomas of Guayana of the narrows of the Orinoco”.. The town also gave its name to the Angostura tree (Cusparia febrifuga) which grows in the area. The bark of the small shrub-like tree was traditionally used as a bitter tonic and fever reducer. From the Ciudad Bolivar wiki page, please tell me one of the sites of interest to visit.

For 10 Points : Jesus Soto Museum of Modern Art, Old prison, House of the Congress of Angostura
For 5 Points : Government Palace (2)
Among Others: Plaza Bolivar, San Isidro Museum, Piar House

5. Caracas the capital of Venezuela, is located in the north of the country, following the contours of the narrow Caracas Valley on the Venezuelan coastal mountain range (Cordillera de la Costa). The valley's temperatures are spring like making it a very pleasant city to live in. From the Caracas wiki page, please give me any caption underneath any of the pictures on that page.

10 Points to all : East Park of Caracas, View of Caracas 1839, Inside Plaza Venezuela station of the Caracas metro, Plaza Francia at the Chacao municipality, North-South view of central Caracas from Cerro Aguila
Among Others: Caracas from El Calvario, Conqueror Diego de Losada, Casa del Libertador

Scores
We have a sole winner with a perfect score of 50 points : Mugaboo
With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl & Denni19
With 40 points: Gatsby722 & Maninmidohio

A hearty congratulations goes out to the winner of this round Mugaboo , who will receive a trivia point for the month of July. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#480532 - Sun Jul 19 2009 07:44 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 15 will close in 12 hours or so

#480533 - Sun Jul 19 2009 10:41 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 14 - Tuesday
"Trivial Pursuit"
Five outstanding players

1. So tell me: what was the name of any of J. Paul Getty's six sons -OR- the name of the mother of any of those offspring.

For 10 Points:
George Franklin Getty II, Jean Ronald Getty, Adolphine Helmle (mother)
For 5 Points:
Eugene Paul Getty (2)

Jeanette Demont, Ann Rork and Louise Dudley Lynch were the other Moms. John/Jean Paul Getty II, Gordon Peter Getty and Timothy Ware Getty were the other sons.

2. Please tell me a character in "Razia's Shadow: A Musical", excluding 'The Narrator'. Thank you !

For 10 Points:
Barayas the Spider, Gargul The Oracle, King Malka, Nidria, Princess Anhura

O the Scientist, the Bawaba Brothers, Toba the Tura, Sangara, Fallis, Doctor Dumaya, Adakias -and- Ahrima were the other choices.

3. Have a look at their Mood Ring Color chart (using LoveToKnow only), and then share with me both a color and said color's meaning that might show up when you're wearing one.

For 10 Points:
Black - very stressed, Green - calm, Teal - calm and relaxed
For 5 Points:
Gray - very nervous (2)

Amber (anxious and/or uncertain), Blue (happy) and Indigo/Violet (happy, romantic or passionate) could have been picked as well.

4. Please tell me a word in the sentence near the end of that speech that starts with "But let men everywhere ..." that has seven or more letters in it (and you may not use 'everywhere', OK?).

The rest of the sentence: ... know, however, that a strong, a confident, and a vigilant America stands ready tonight to seek an honorable peace--and stands ready tonight to defend an honored cause--whatever the price, whatever the burden, whatever the sacrifice that duty may require.

For 10 Points:
America, Honorable, Honored, Sacrifice, Vigilant

5. To close, then, tell me any production that showed at the Martin Beck Theatre in its early days - notably 1924, 1925, or 1926.

For 10 Points:
The Shanghai Gesture, The Wild Rose
For 5 Points:
Cape Smoke (3)

Happy audiences might have attended "Wooden Kimono", "Captain Jinks", "China Rose" and "Madame Pompadour", too.

The Results!

50 Points! .... maninmidohio
45 Points! .... denni19 and Mugaboo
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
35 Points! .... szabs

Very large *congratulations!* to maninmidohio for managing to top the leader board in a very tight race, this time ! Everyone did superbly, right down the line. Thanks to the lot o' you fine folks for joining in!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Jul 19 2009 05:33 PM)

#480534 - Sun Jul 19 2009 11:00 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

July 13 Round – Answers

Let’s go for a Run with five marvelously sporting participants.

1) The CN Tower Climb for WWF-Canada was held on 16 and 18 April 2009. From the Public Climb results, please give me the name of either one of the top five fastest Men climbers –or- one of the top five fastest Female climbers.
For Ten Points: Amber Low, Peter Doucet, Trevor Folgering
For Five Points: Nicole Lavergne (2)
Not mentioned: April Abreu, Jason Chau, Kaye Palomera, Matt Druken, Michael Murray, Morgane Echardour.
Fastest climb time was ten minutes 32 seconds by Peter Doucet, for 1,776 stairs!

2) “Jump London” is a 2003 documentary about free running. Excluding the cast, please tell me any of the crew that was involved in the making of the documentary.
For Ten Points: Ian Marriott-Smith – Dubbing mixer & sound effects editor, Paul Fallon - Colorist, Renoir Tuahene – Film editor
For Five Points: Matt Green – Sound recordist (2)
Not mentioned: Craig Hastings – Director of photography, Mike Christie – Director, Mohamed Bounechada – Production coordinator, Phil Turner – Sound recordist.

3) From here, please give me any tips for treadmill running. (
For Ten Points: Cadence in treadmill running plays an important role because this is what we mostly operate with when we are increasing or reducing the belt’s speed, Cool down is another important part of a training session, Keep your feet and legs together nearer to the vertical line, Pull the feet from the belt with the minimum possible effort for the given speed, Stay on the ball of the feet during contact with the belt
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Another 11 tips can be found on the linked page.

4) BBC Sport has an article “The recipe for marathon success” published in March 2005. Please give me any ingredient from the Spicy Burrito recipe from that article.
For Ten Points: 4 plain flour tortillas, 440gm can red kidney beans, Low fat natural yoghurt
For Five Points: 100gms reduced fat cheese (2)
Not mentioned: 3 tomatoes diced, Chilli sauce to taste, Fast Bolognese sauce from previous recipe, Iceberg lettuce shredded.

5) “Run the Planet” has some “Running Shoe articles”. Please give me the title of any of the articles.
For Ten Points: Choose the right walking shoes, How to choose shoes that won’t hurt you, Interactive athletic shoes, The Army running shoes, the futuristic Helium shoe
Not mentioned: A self-adjusting running shoe, Brightwalk shoes – Show me the road, Fully recycled running shoes, Glossary of shoe terms and universal symbols, Running shoe varieties and tips for choosing the right shoe, Shoes recycling programs, The futuristic Prana shoe.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Gatsby Well done to our Gats!

Other Results:
45 points: Mugaboo, Szabs & Maninmidohio
35 points: Denni

Thank you to all the players. It was neck and neck for a while, I had 4 players tying for first place at one point. Hope all of you will have a great week ahead.

#480535 - Mon Jul 20 2009 01:46 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 15th July results – 5 players!

Q1 A teacher who has taught Defence Against the Dark Arts during the series – there are lots to choose from!
FOR TEN POINTS:
Quirinus Quirrell, Dolores Umbridge, Remus Lupin,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Gilderoy Lockhart (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Professor Snape, Barty Crouch Junior and more

Q2 A member of the Weasley family
FOR TEN POINTS:
Fred Weasley, Septimus Weasley, Arthur Weasley, Bilius Weasley, Dominique Weasley,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Molly Weasley, Ron Weasley and more

Q3 In 2008, J. K. Rowling released “The Tales of Beedle the Bard”, with five short stories in it. Name me one of them.
FOR TEN POINTS:
"Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump",
FOR FIVE POINTS:
“The Warlock’s Hairy Heart” (2), The Fountain of fair fortune (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
The Tale of the Three brothers

Q4 A shop you may find in Diagon Alley, where witches and wizards can buy all they need. (Lots to choose from!)
FOR TEN POINTS:
Pottidge's Cauldron shop, Ollivanders, Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, Flourish and Blotts,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Magical Menagerie, Eeylop’s owl emporium and more

Q5 A magical animal found in the Wizarding world
FOR TEN POINTS:
Flobberworm, Centaur, Blast-Ended Skrewts,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Thestral (2)
NOT MENTIONED:

COMPETITORS
Dragons, Hippogriffs and more

SCORES
Maninmidohio – 50
Denni – 45
Brandz_mygirl – 40
Mugaboo - 40
Gatsby - 35

Well done to Maninmidohio

#480536 - Tue Jul 21 2009 06:55 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Late again!

Monday July 20 – Quiz

Various. People/topics/events that I came across whilst clicking my way through the internet.

1) Jeffrey Donovan, star of the TV show “Burn notice”, was in the news today, unfortunately it was for a suspicion of DUI arrest. I quite like “Burn notice”. It reminds me a lot of the show “MacGyver” which I enjoyed. As of today, the latest episode of “Burn notice” aired is episode 6 of season 3. Please give me the name of a song that can be heard on that episode. HINT: Try the official site.

2) Nate Berkus, the interior designer guy from Oprah’s talk show. Nate wrote a book. Please give me ANY word that appears on the title of the book, excluding his name and, just to make things clear, any word that contains an apostrophe.

3) The Emmy awards for excellence in U.S. televison are just 2 months away. The full list of nominees was released on 16 July. Please tell me a nominee from the “Actor in a Drama” – or- “Actress in a Drama” categories.

4) My feet takes my every where, yet I don’t pay them a quarter of the attention that I should. From here, please give me one of the 6 most common foot ailments women experience.

5) I came across a picture (old or new, I don’t know) of Michael Phelps with a mustache. Personally, I prefer him without one. Please name a men’s swimming event in the 2008 summer Olympics that was NOT won by Michael Phelps, either as an individual participant or as a member of a team.

This round will close on Sunday 26 July at noon FT time. Wishing everyone a wonderful week.

#480537 - Tue Jul 21 2009 09:12 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 21 ~ Tuesday

I, too, caught the Emmy Award nominations this week (it's likely no secret that I'm a true hound for these awards shows [sigh]). I thought I'd focus on the category of Outstanding Made for Television Movie this time --- a neatly eclectic mix of subject, solid intent and good old-fashioned (often kinda heartbreaking) entertainment.

1. Into the Storm (aka "Churchill at War") received a whopping 14 Emmy noms this time - pretty typical for well-acted, rather epic HBO historical dramas. If such a production airs? Well, what else to do but nominate it for everything ?! The title(s) explain the thing without much need for help --- but, just in case you're unsure, it tells the tale of Winston Churchill and his days in office during World War II. Brendan Gleeson does, reportedly, a fine job playing Winston, as do Janet McTeer (as his wife) and Len Cariou (as Franklin Roosevelt). Everything about the show is topnotch, pretty much ... HBO does these things v-e-r-y well, year after year, o' course. For a breezy start, please tell me a category that the TV movie is Emmy-nominated for. And, if you don't mind, don't use *Outstanding Made for Television Movie* as an answer, OK?

2. The next TV film got only two nominations this year --- the *big* one, used thematically here, and another for its lead actress. It's another of those 'built-in' rules (that never needs written down, I reckon) that if Shirley MacLaine's in it? Heck, it's prize-worthy in short order and so is she. Even when she's playing an ambitious, crafty hat maker who built a formidable fashion empire (and left -ahem- a few crushed-to-smithereens people who stood in her way behind her as she went, too). The Lifetime Channel, rather famous for mega-melodramatic "women's films" gave Coco Chanel (1883-1971) many a scene to rip through in this project ~ and rip she surely did. Shirley MacLaine was pretty much born to play her, eh? Chanel, and her wares were quite influential in the fashion world, though -- so much so that she made 'TIME Magazine's 100 Most Influential People of the 20th Century' list, published in 1999. Her category there was in the arts, which makes perfect sense. I'm wondering, however, the name of a woman who made said list in the category of *Heroes & Icons* today.

3. This one I actually sat through one afternoon -- it's yet another Lifetime "beat-you-dramatically-senseless-while-dishing-up-a-heroine-with-'powerfully'-displayed-inner-strength-and-convictions" story. It chronicles the true story of Mary Griffith. This film, too, nabbed just two nominations ~ the other being for Sigourney Weaver, who played Mrs. Giffith. May I be un-PC and admit that I really did not like this film/story overall? I remember seeing the real Griffith on talk shows years ago and found her, while commendable in her evolution, a bit of a cold heartless fish when trying to justify where this journey of hers began. She was no more than a religious zealot who, because of her fierce condemnation of her gay son, drove the young lad to jump off a bridge and get squashed dead by a truck ! Charming. With the help of a different church than hers AND PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays), Mary [finally] lightened up and grew - becoming a die-hard gay activist. Despicable as she seemed at the start? I must say ... watching her learn, grow and finally teach in Prayers For Bobby was compelling to see. OK, all editorializing aside, over on PFLAG's website they have a list of Ten Things To Do As An Ally. Please tell me one of them. One last thing -- if Sigourney Weaver loses Outstanding Actress for this one? I may have to eat my hat ...

4. I don't subscribe to HBO, but sometimes wish I did. This next movie looks like a gem to me (and earned 17 Emmy nominations this year, too). It visits the lives of Edith Bouvier Beale ["Little Edie"] and her mother Edith Ewing Bouvier ["Big Edie"] and stars the delicious-sounding combination of two fascinating and lovely actresses: Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. Grey Gardens revels in the biographies of the eccentic (to say the very least) aunt and first cousin of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis who, raised as Park Avenue debutantes, ultimately withdrew from New York society, taking shelter at their Long Island summer home. And they stayed there, recluses happily going about the days doing very little since neither of the two had a bit of money left. The house fell into wild disrepair (full of cats, raccoons and fleas, no less), but the 'Edies' were finally bailed out/saved from eviction by their rich kin -- perhaps more as means to save said kins' public image than anything else? Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee ended up buying the house and restored it completely. The Edies are both dead, but their home is now splendid! You can even buy (pricey) stuff to commemorate the dwelling and its inhabitants now, too. Have a look here and tell me a vintage accessory available that sells for $150 or more.

5. The final nominee was, initially, supposed to be a feature film (it was first shown at the Sundance Film Festival) but finally made its public premiere on, where else?, HBO. Of all of the interesting-sounding TV films mentioned here, this is likely the one I'd pay money to see. It seems not to exploit, exaggerate or overwhelm in its story -- and one of my favorite, albeit usually underused, actors is in it, too. Kevin Bacon plays Lt. Col. Michael Strobl in Taking Chance who, much to his chagrin at first, is assigned to *escort duty* and finds himself ordered to accompany the body of PFC Chance Phelps back to his hometown after the young man was killed while serving in the Iraq War. The movie is his "road trip", really --- following as he escorts the coffin across the country, during which Strobl is overwhelmed with the kind words, small gifts, and genuine gratitude given him to deliver to the family on this soul-searching journey. The more he learns about the human spirit and the young man who was cut down in service to his country is all the more he learns about himself. The real Strobl wrote about his experience in, among others, the San Francisco Chronicle on May 2, 2004 (the onine verion at SFGate.com). Scan "A Marine's Journey Home" there [if you have the time, I'd recommend reading it, even -- it's exceptional, in my opinion ] and tell me any US city named in that article.

This will close up on Sunday, noon-ish. Have a great week -- and be careful out there !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jul 21 2009 10:50 AM)

#480538 - Tue Jul 21 2009 12:44 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 17, the Kennedy Assassination Round, will close in a little less than 24 hours. There is plenty of time to get in your answers, new players welcomed.

#480539 - Wed Jul 22 2009 05:20 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 22nd July round

Q1 A film beginning with M A film beginning with M
Q2 A song title beginning with M
Q3 A book title beginning with M
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with M
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with M

This round closes on Sunday or Monday!

#480540 - Wed Jul 22 2009 12:41 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 17 – Results

There were 6 great players who competed in the Kennedy Assassination Round. Thanks to all for playing.

1. Please tell me the name of one of the current Board of Managers of Parkland Hospital who are responsible for the governance of the hospital.

For 10 Points:
Louis Beecherl, III; Wendy Lopez; and Cobie Russell
For 5 Points: Alan Walne (3)
Not Chosen: Dr. Lauren McDonald, Dalton Lott, and Dr. Chad Park

2. Please tell me a word from the phrase used on the 1964 Kennedy commemorative stamp.

The phrase: And the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

For 10 Points: can and world
For 5 Points: from (2) and light (2)
Not Chosen: the, glow, that, fire, truly

3. Please tell me a member of the Warren Commission other than the chairman, Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren.

For 10 Points:
John J. McCloy
For 5 Points: John Sherman Cooper (2) and Allen Welsh Dulles (3)
Not Chosen: Richard Russell, Jr.; Hale Boggs; and Gerald Ford

4. Please give me the name of one of the chapters of the Report of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy, the final report produced by the Warren Commission.

For 10 Points:
Chapter 3: The Shots from the Texas School Book Depository and Chapter 6: Investigation of Possible Conspiracy
For 5 Points: Chapter 5: Detention and Death of Oswald (2) and Chapter 8: The Protection of the President (2)
Not Chosen: Chapter 1: Summary and Conclusions, Chapter 2: The Assassination, Chapter 4: The Assassin, and Chapter 7: Lee Harvey Oswald: Background and Possible Motives

5. The Sixth Floor Museum has hosted several special exhibits since 2000, please tell me the name of one of those exhibits.

For 10 Points:
Unfinished Business: Kennedy and Cuba, Parkland Hospital: Voices from History, Jack Ruby: Voices from History, and A Photographer's Story: Bob Jackson and the Kennedy Assassination
For 5 Points: Dallas Law Enforcement: Voices from History (2)
Not Chosen: Filming Kennedy: Home Movies from Dallas, Dealey Plaza: The Front Door of Dallas, Covering Chaos, and Call to Action

The Results:

With 40 Points: brandz_mygirl and denni19
With 35 Points: PDAZ and Gatsby722
With 30 Points: Mugaboo and szabs

I want to congratulate everyone who participated. It was quite a battle with most answers finding matches rather than striking out on their own. Two players, however, managed to claw their way to the top. So, walking away with a July FunTrivia point apiece are brandz_mygirl and denni19. Well done!

#480541 - Fri Jul 24 2009 10:12 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 24 Friday

For the last six month’s I have been anxiously waiting for Tuesday the 28th of July to roll around the corner, the reason being, Bruce Springsteen will be playing in Seville and I am one of the fortunate owners of a reserved seat ticket, the last time I saw him was 27 years ago in Boston, so I have waited long enough for this special occasion and I am dedicating this round to “The Boss”.

1. Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen was born September 23, 1949, in Long Branch New Jersey. Long Branch was a beach resort town in the late 1700s, in the 1800s it was a "Hollywood" of the east, where some of the greatest theatrical and other performers of the day gathered and performed. It was so famous in it’s days of glory that seven US Presidents visited the town, Seven Presidents Park, was built in honour of their visits. Please go to this page , and give me the name of one of the seven presidents who visited Long Branch.

2. Although born in Long Branch, Bruce actually grew up in the town of Freehold Borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey, Freehold Borough is considered to be part of the New York metropolitan area. The borough is the subject of his song "My Hometown", from the Born in the U.S.A. album, which described racial and economic tensions in the 1960s the "textile mill being closed" was the A & M Karagheushian rug mill at Center and Jackson Streets, this album is considered to be his most popular and commercial triumph. Could you please give me the title of one of his songs on the album Born in the USA.

3. Springsteen had been inspired to take up music at the age of seven after seeing Elvis Presley on The Ed Sullivan Show. At 13, he bought his first guitar for $18; later, his mother took out a loan to buy the 16-year-old a $60 Kent guitar, an event he later memorialized in his song "The Wish". Springsteen acquired the nickname "The Boss" during the 60’s when he played club gigs with various bands, he took on the task of collecting the band's nightly pay and distributing it amongst his bandmates. Springsteen signed a record deal with Columbia Records in 1972, and brought many of his New Jersey-based colleagues into the studio with him, thus forming the E Street Band. Please give me the name of a present or former band member of the E Street Band.

4. Bruce Springsteen and the E street band will be one of the groups to perform On October 29th and 30th at Madison Square Garden celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Each night will feature entirely different line-ups, with artists performing their own songs and the music that inspired them –tracing the history of genres ranging from soul to hard rock. All proceeds raised will go towards creating a permanent endowment for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation and Museum. From this page please tell me a band or singer that will perform either on the 29th or 30th of October.

5. Released on January 27 2009 'Working on a Dream' is Bruce Springsteen's twenty-fourth album and was recorded and mixed at Southern Tracks in Atlanta, Georgia, with additional recording in New York City, Los Angeles, and New Jersey. His 2009 world tour of the same name has now sold over 1.5 million concert tickets in 2009 alone, with the new dates expected to be added in the next few days, it will push that number over the two million mark. Could you please tell me from this page the date and city in which Bruce will be performing from July 21 till August 22.

As I will be away for a good part of next week (due to a certain concert ), I will close this round on Thursday the 30th afternoonish FT time. In the meantime have a great weekend, and PM if you need any help.

#480542 - Sat Jul 25 2009 02:05 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 25 - Saturday 25th July

1. The first sea mine, was used by the Chinese. In the west Ralph Rabbards showed a design to Queen Elizabeth in 1574. The first known printed poem of alchemy was edited and printed by that same Ralph Rabbards in 1591 and was called "The Mistery of Alchymists" by George Ripley. From "The Mistery of Alchymists", please give me any word that contains a double "L", that today would be considered to have been spelt incorrectly.

2. Land mines were used before sea mines, being first used in China, when a bunch of Mongols were attacking them in 1277. Please give any other happening in 1277 AD.

3. At round about the same time as those Mongols were in Southern China, they were also causing havoc to Japan (1274-1281). Tsushima Island was important for trade at the time, and the Mongols killed many people on the island in 1274. Name one of the six boroughs that make up Tsushima City.

4. The Colorado School of Mines holds the Colorado State Science Olympiad. The National Tournament was held at Augusta State University in Augusta, Georgia in May. (Both categories won by schools from Ohio!) Give me an event at the 2009 National Science Olympiad in the "Technology and Engineering" category (either B or C division).

5. In 1906 Colorado School of Mines opened the first experimental mine in the world, that was owned and operated by the school, on Mount Zion. In 1930 the facility was moved to the Edgar mine, at Idaho Springs and is open for public tours. Name another mine that is open to the public in the state of Colorado.

Unless my schedule is undermined by events, like they were for my last one, the round will close at noon (FT time) on Thursday.

#480543 - Sat Jul 25 2009 01:09 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Rattle, rattle. Hum, hum. Approximately 20 hours left for Round 21, folks ...

#480544 - Sun Jul 26 2009 01:08 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 20 will be closing in round 'bout 10 hours.

#480545 - Sun Jul 26 2009 09:36 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 21 - Tuesday
"2009 Emmy Award Nominations, Made-For-TV Movie"
Five prize-worthy players ()

1. For a breezy start, please tell me a category that the TV movie "Into the Storm" is Emmy-nominated for. And, if you don't mind, don't use *Outstanding Made for Television Movie* as an answer, OK?

For 10 Points:
Outstanding Art Direction for a Miniseries or Movie; Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie (Brendan Gleeson); Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special
For 5 Points:
Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special (2)

All [] the other categories are: Outstanding Directing, Outstanding Supporting Actor (Len Cariou); Outstanding Supporting Actress (Janet McTeer); Outstanding Cinematography; Outstanding Costumes; Outstanding Hairstyling; Outstanding Music Composition (Original Dramatic Score); Outstanding Sound Editing and Outstanding Casting.

2. I'm wondering, however, the name of a woman who made said list (TIME Magazine's 100 Most Influential People of the 20th Century) in the category of *Heroes & Icons* today.

For 10 Points:
Diana, Princess of Wales; Mother Teresa; Rosa Parks
For 5 Points:
Anne Frank (2)

Helen Keller, Marilyn Monroe and Emmeline Pankhurst were the other three.

3. OK, all editorializing aside, over on PFLAG's website they have a list of Ten Things To Do As An Ally. Please tell me one of them.

For 10 Points:
"Become informed about the realities, challenges and issues affecting the lives of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) people’s lives through websites, books, documentaries, and educational materials"; "Be open about having gay friends, family or acquaintances that you value, respect, and are grateful to have in your life. When you talk about them, don’t omit the fact that they are GLBT"; "Ask if you are unsure how a GLBT friend, family member or acquaintance would like their significant other to be referred to or introduced, rather than avoiding acknowledgment of the relationship"; "Help your kids learn about and appreciate all different kinds of families. Be mindful of the day-to-day messages that they are receiving about gay and transgender people and issues in school, from friends, and on TV and talk about what they encounter with them"; "Support gay, lesbian, bi, and/or transgender-owned and friendly businesses".
For 5 Points:
None

The other 'suggestions'? "Speak up when you hear derogatory slurs or jokes and don’t use them yourself"; "Quit or don’t join organizations that overtly discriminate. Let them know why you are leaving or not joining in the first place"; "Encourage and support company policies and programs that promote a positive work environment for gay employees at your workplace. If your company has a GLBT network group, join and encourage them to include straight allies so more people can be openly supportive of their work"; "Write letters to the editor of your newspaper to comment as a straight ally on why you support respectful and equal treatment for GLBT people" and/or "Call, write, e-mail, or visit public policy makers and let them know that as a straight person who votes, you support laws that extend equal rights and protections to all people". Whew!

4. Have a look here (Grey Gardens) and tell me a vintage accessory available that sells for $150 or more.

For 10 Points:
Elco Vintage Sterling Charm Bracelet, Vintage Jeweled Crown
For 5 Points:
Vintage LeMaire Mother of Pearl Opera Glasses (3)

Several other rather cool (but ultimately silly AND overpriced) items to pick from there ...

5. The real Strobl wrote about his experience in, among others, the San Francisco Chronicle on May 2, 2004 (the onine verion at SFGate.com). Scan "A Marine's Journey Home" there [if you have the time, I'd recommend reading it, even -- it's exceptional, in my opinion ] and tell me any US city named in that article.

For 10 Points:
Los Angeles, California; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Salt Lake City, Utah
For 5 Points:
Riverton, Wyoming (2)

Clifton, Colorado; Grand Junction, Colorado; Dover, Delaware; Dubois, Wyoming; San Diego, California; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Billings, Montana would have also been right.

The Results!

45 Points! .... maninmidohio
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, Mugaboo and szabs

*Bravo!* to maninmidohio who found that one answer that separated him from the (close behind) pack! Excellent job (and a point on the monthly board) to him indeed ! Thank you, everyone, for playing this time!

#480546 - Sun Jul 26 2009 11:17 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

July 20 Round – Answers

Various. My thanks to the four great players who took part.

1) As of today, the latest episode of “Burn notice” aired is episode 6 of season 3. Please give me the name of a song that can be heard on that episode.
For Ten Points: Cartagena, Criminal Behavior
For Five Points: Addiction (2)
Not mentioned: All or Nothing, Answers, Date Cuenta, Gasoline, Port of Wayne, See You, Taking Off, Truth.

2) Please give me ANY word that appears on the title of the book (by Nate Berkus), excluding his name and, just to make things clear, any word that contains an apostrophe.
For Ten Points: Love
For Five Points: Into (3)
Not mentioned: The sentence that appears on the book cover is “Transform the place you live into a place you’ll love.” There are five possible answers remaining.

3) Please tell me a nominee (for the Emmy awards) from the “Actor in a Drama” – or- “Actress in a Drama” categories.
For Ten Points: Gabriel Byrne, Simon Baker
For Five Points: Bryan Cranston (2)
Not mentioned: ACTOR: Hugh Laurie, Jon Hamm, Michael C. Hall ACTRESS: Elisabeth Moss, Glenn Close, Holly Hunter, Kyra Sedgwick, Mariska Hargitay, Sally Field.

4) From here, please give me one of the 6 most common foot ailments women experience.
For Ten Points: Neuroma
For Five Points: Plantar Fasciitis (3)
Not mentioned: Bunions, Bursitis, Ingrown toenail, Stress fracture.

5) Please name a men’s swimming event in the 2008 summer Olympics that was NOT won by Michael Phelps, either as an individual participant or as a member of a team.
For Ten Points: 100m backstroke, 100m breaststroke, 200m backstroke, 1500m freestyle
Not mentioned: 10km marathon, 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, 200m breaststroke, 400m freestyle.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
40 points: Gatsby & Szabs Well done to our two winners!

Other Results:
35 points: Mugaboo & Maninmidohio

#480547 - Sun Jul 26 2009 11:22 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
deepakmr Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bangalore India
Friends, I apologize for not coming here for a long time. Due to work pressures, I will not be able to host the Thursday rounds for some time. So please excuse me for the time being. I promise to be back at the earliest.

#480548 - Mon Jul 27 2009 01:52 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'll close round 22 - Wednesday - later today. Plenty of room for more people!

#480549 - Mon Jul 27 2009 12:45 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday July 27 – Quiz

Mmmmmmmmms . M’s turn.

1) “MMMBop” was a 1997 hit song. The band that had that hit song has an upcoming tour later this year. Restricting your answers only to those that begin with the letter M, please tell me EITHER a city –or- a state that the band is scheduled to perform in during the tour.

2) If I say “the golden arches”, you’ll probably know who or what I am referring to. Living where I am, AND assuming that I am housebound and living alone, please tell me ANY item I can order for S$2.00 or less, excluding all liquids.

3) Mothers – I have had my share of disagreements with my mum but I love her dearly. Mother’s Day is celebrated throughout the world, but not on the same day. Please tell me a country that celebrates Mother’ Day in the month of May, again restricting your answers only to those country names that begin with the letter M.

4) This famous person has portrayed the son of “Judge James K. Hardy’ in a series of films, in a very long career. This person is also well known for his matrimonial pursuits. Please give me the name of any one he has wedded.

5) Money makes the world go round and it’s something most of us could do with more of. Now what I am going to ask of you is going to be a little different. Please write me a haiku (using the traditional format of 5-7-5 syllables) on the subject of money. Everyone is pretty much guaranteed full points for this question, so I will award an extra 5 points to the funniest. There are many examples of haiku on the net. Hope you enjoy answering this question. Got the idea from a Chain Games round a couple of years ago.

That’s it from me. This round will close on Sunday 2 August at noon FT time. Gentle Monday everyone!

#480550 - Mon Jul 27 2009 02:14 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 22nd July results

Q1 A film beginning with M
FOR TEN POINTS:
Marry Me (1949), Murder in the First (1995), Marjorie Morningstar, Maybe Baby (2000), Mad About Mambo,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Murder on the Orient Express (several versions), Mulan and more

Q2 A song title beginning with M
FOR TEN POINTS:
Mother of Violence (Peter Gabriel), "Music", by James Taylor, Meet Me in St. Louis, "MMMBop" (Hanson), More Than This Hour by All About Eve,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
My Way (Frank Sinatra), Mamma Mia (Abba) and more

Q3 A book title beginning with M
FOR TEN POINTS:
Mort (by Terry Pratchett), 'Many Mansions: The Edgar Cayce Story on Reincarnation', Moonwalk (autobiography of Michael Jackson), Men of Men (Wilbur Smith) , Maura’s Game – Martina Cole,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Mysterious Affair at Styles, Murder at the Vicarage (Agatha Christie) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with M
FOR TEN POINTS:
Morbidly, Marksman, Motivate, Merchant, Mutinous,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Murderer, Mastered and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with M
FOR TEN POINTS:
Milk chocolate, Mangosteen, Muscat grapes,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Marshmallows (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Mango, Marmite ( ) and more!

SCORES
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby – 50
Szabs – 50
Maninmidohio – 45
Muagboo – 45

Well done to Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby and Szabs

#480551 - Tue Jul 28 2009 04:20 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 28 ~ Tuesday

I love the blues. To some, hearing them makes a person bluer, I've been told. But not I. Listening to it all done right? All it leaves me is mighty grateful that my 'lows' never EVER sound as "in the ditch" as those old (and new, sometimes) songs sound to be. Today we'll be talking about this awesome pioneer of "the blues" and her powerful influence on many corners of the world, as she began early in the 20th century ...

1. Bessie Smith was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee on April 15, 1894 (although sources differ, the 1900 census uses this date). Her parents had both died by the time she was nine, and this turn of events sent she and her older brother out onto the streets -- he playing his guitar and young Bessie singing as she went. Come 1912 she was hired as a dancer, joining the traveling band that had hired her brother (they didn't need a singer ... another great blues singer, 'Ma' Rainey, was already on board doing that). But let's go back to her birthplace, symbolically. While Chattanooga is notable for many things, its best legacy might be in a song. "Chattanooga Choo Choo" was first recorded on May 7, 1941 and became the first tune to be certified a *gold* disc in 1942. It was written by the team of Mack Gordon and Harry Warren while traveling on the Southern Railway's "Birmingham Special" train, telling the 'story' of going from New York City to Chattanooga but, for the record, the train about which they wrote belonged to the Cincinnati Southern Railroad - it just passed through Tennessee. At any rate, the song reached #1 on the charts that year. To begin, please tell me any other song that hit #1, US charts, in Billboard magazine in 1941.

2. In 1929, Smith made her only film appearance, starring in a two-reeler titled St. Louis Blues, based on W. C. Handy's song. In the movie she sings the title tune accompanied by members of Fletcher Henderson's orchestra, the Hall Johnson Choir, pianist James P. Johnson, and a string section — a musical environment radically different from any found on her recordings ... and presented very effectively. (Francis) Hall Johnson was a very accomplished, well-trained musician for both his era and his race and was one of a number of American composers / arrangers who lifted the "Negro spiritual" to an art form, comparable in its musical sophistication to the works of many European Classical composers. He wrote the play Run, Little Chillun -- A Negro Folk Drama in Four Scenes which opened on Broadway March 1, 1933 (and ran for 126 performances). It opened again in 1943 ~ limited to just 16 showings that time. The play has, as the title suggests, four settings in it. Please tell me one of them. OR you may choose to tell the [primary] producer or director of either show on either's opening night so long ago.

3. 100 years [to the day] after Bessie Smith's 'official' birthday, or on April 15, 1994 – representatives of 124 countries and the European Communities signed the *Marrakesh Agreement*, revising the heretofore General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, and initiating the World Trade Organization (which became effective on January 1, 1995). The *Marrakesh Agreement* was signed in Marrakech, Morocco, as one might have surmised . Over on their website, the World Trade Organization addresses some misgivings and/or some truths about their organization -aside from just announcing that "the stated aim of the WTO is to promote free trade and stimulate economic growth". Critics consistently argue that free trade leads to a divergence instead of convergence of income levels within rich and poor countries (the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, etc.). One list they are quick to offer, aimed squarely at the many naysayers, is The Ten Misunderstandings about the WTO. Tell me one of those "misunderstandings", please!

4. The Chattanooga African American Museum sits at 200 East Martin Luther King Blvd. in the city. Chattanooga's own Bessie Smith was proclaimed "Empress of the Blues" in her day (and since), deservedly, so her inclusion there is assured. The museum houses the *Bessie Smith Performance Hall*, dedicated to her heritage and legacy and, since merging with the Museum, the hall has also become a widely recognized educational institution as well. Opening twenty-five years ago, the purpose of the organization / museum is to preserve, develop, exhibit, study and advocate meaningful approaches to educate the community about the contributions of the African-American to the community and to this nation. One can become a 'member' there, with varying price schedules depending on who wishes to contribute. Kindly tell me one of the types of memberships one can purchase at The Chattanooga African American Museum as per their website.

5. Drat. Over the years I'd snatch up every vinyl recording of Bessie's that I could find, never foreseeing that, now, one can buy all that old music restored and in vivid tones on CDs. Ah, well. No harm in having all "modes" of it, I reckon -- especially when it's great. And those grand old chick singers singin' the blues? To me, that's 'great' to the nth degree . One of these modern collections is "Bessie Smith: The Complete Recordings, Vol. 1 [BOX SET]" ~ released on April 9, 1991. It's got two disks in it, but we'll just be looking specifically at Disk One. To finish, just tell me a track on that disk only whose title has the word *Blues* in it.

This'll stay open until Sunday, around noon. See you then!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Jul 29 2009 10:03 AM)

#480552 - Wed Jul 29 2009 05:46 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 29th July

Animals
Q1. A popular household pet
Q2. An animal you would find on the farm
Q3. A breed of dog
Q4. An animal you would find in the zoo
Q5. Something you can do with your pet
This closes over the weekend!