Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#480553 - Thu Jul 30 2009 04:06 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a reminder Round 24 will close in about 8 hours, plenty of time to send your answers in, and newbies are more than welcome .

#480554 - Thu Jul 30 2009 07:40 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Hi all, am just wondering whether I should change Q5 of Round 27. I usually get one or two sets of answers in by now, but it's been very quiet. The only new-ish type of question in the round is Q5 so I'm thinking whether it could be 'throwing off' players. Please let me know if you would prefer the question changed. Thanks!

#480555 - Thu Jul 30 2009 08:56 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I vote that we keep Question 5 (Round 27) ! But, then, I pretty much love haiku. It's also one of the easiest forms of poetry to write, too. Nothing has to rhyme !

#480556 - Thu Jul 30 2009 09:37 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Oh, no! Please don't change anything!

I am currently working on that Q5 - I finally got an idea about how to construct it .
Lovely round, as usual.

#480557 - Thu Jul 30 2009 11:32 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 25 - 5 played

1. From "The Mistery of Alchymists", please give me any word that contains a double "L", that today would be considered to have been spelt incorrectly.
For 10 points: Animalls; Christall; Councell; Imperiall; Mettall
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Equall; Gospell; Mineralls; Subtill; Vegetabills

2. Please give any happening in 1277 AD.
For 10 points: Llywelyn ap Gruffyd is subdued by King Edward I of England in the First Welsh War; St George's cross is first used as the flag of England; The philosophical doctrine Averroism is banned from Paris at a condemnation at the University of Paris; In Japan, a 20 kilometer stone wall defending the coast of Hakata Bay in Fukuoka is completed - it is built in response to the attempted invasion by the Yuan Dynasty in 1274; Death of Stefan Uros I of Serbia
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Battle of Elbistan; Pope Nicholas III succeeds Pope John XXI as the 188th pope

3. Name one of the six boroughs that make up Tsushima City.
For 10 points: Kamitsushima; Mitsushima; Toyotama
For 5 points: Kamiagata [2]
Not mentioned: Izuhara; Mine

4. Give me an event at the 2009 National Science Olympiad in the "Technology and Engineering" category (Either B or C division)
For 10 points: Elevated Bridge; Junkyard Challenge; Scrambler
For 5 points: Electric Vehicle [2]
Not mentioned: Egg-O-Naut; Robo-Cross; Wright Stuff

5. Name a mine that is open to the public in the state of Colorado.
For 10 points: Colowyo coal mine; Creede underground mining museum; Washington mine/Lomax placer
For 5 points: Bachelor-Syracuse mine (at Ouray)
Not mentioned include Smuggler and compromise mine; Lost mine; Mollie Kathleen gold mine; Old hundred gold mine

Scores:

45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Denni19; Gatsby722; Maninmidohio
40 points: Szabs

One of those rounds where we have one winner too few. Well done Brandz, Denni19, Gatsby and Maninmidohio.

#480558 - Fri Jul 31 2009 06:56 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 31

One of the highlights of my senior year at Hobart College was my induction into Phi Beta Kappa. Phi Beta Kappa is the oldest academic honor society in the United States having been founded in 1776 at the College of William and Mary. It now has chapters at 276 American colleges and universities. It honors excellence in the liberal arts and sciences. This will be the Phi Beta Kappa Round.

1. Phi Beta Kappa was the first society to use Greek letters as their name. Please tell me a letter in the Greek alphabet besides Phi that only has one vowel.

2. Phi Beta Kappa is actually the Greek initials of its motto is Greek. Please give me one of the words in the official translation of this motto.

3. Please tell me a chapter (university or college) of Phi Beta Kappa that is the only one in the state that it is located in.

4. Please tell me a member of Phi Beta Kappa who was inducted in the period between 1800 and 1826 and the school they were inducted at.

5. The national organization of Phi Beta Kappa sponsors many different activities including scholarship programs, awards, and lecture series. Please tell me one of the designated visiting scholars for 2009-2010, but I only want one that does not use their middle initial in their name.

This round will end noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, August 5. If you have any problems with any of the questions, I will be glad to help. I hope you all get to enjoy the weekend.

#480559 - Fri Jul 31 2009 11:10 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 24 Answers

The Springsteen round was supported by five Born to Run players, and let me add that the concert was fantastic amd well worth the wait.

1. Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen was born September 23, 1949, in Long Branch New Jersey. It was so famous in it’s days of glory that seven US Presidents visited the town, Seven Presidents Park, was built in honour of their visits. Please go to this page , and give me the name of one of the seven presidents who visited Long Branch.

Yay 10 Points to all : Rutherford Hayes, Ulysses S. Grant, Benjamin Harrison, James Garfield, Woodrow Wilson
Among Others: Chester A. Arthur, William McKinley

2. Although born in Long Branch, Bruce actually grew up in the town of Freehold Borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey. The borough is the subject of his song "My Hometown", from the Born in the U.S.A. album. Could you please give me the title of one of his songs on the album Born in the USA.

For 10 Points : My Hometown, Dancing in the Dark
For 5 Points : Downbound Train (3)
12 to choose from, among others: Born in the USA, I’m on Fire, Bobby Jean

3. Springsteen had been inspired to take up music at the age of seven after seeing Elvis Presley on The Ed Sullivan Show. Springsteen acquired the nickname "The Boss" during the 60’s when he played club gigs with various bands, he took on the task of collecting the band's nightly pay and distributing it amongst his bandmates. Please give me the name of a present or former band member of the E Street Band.

For 10 Points : Ernest “Boom” Carter, Patti Scialfa, Clarence Clemons
For 5 Points : Soozie Tyrell (2)
17 to choose from, among others: Steven Van Zandt, Max Weinberg, Vini "Mad Dog" Lopez

4. Bruce Springsteen and the E street band will be one of the groups to perform On October 29th and 30th at Madison Square Garden celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. From this site please tell me a band or singer that will perform either on the 29th or 30th of October.

For 10 Points : Aretha Franklin, Paul simon
For 5 Points : Crosby, Stills, Nash & Friends (3)
Among Others: U2, Simon & Garfunkel, Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton

5. Released on January 27 2009 'Working on a Dream' is Bruce Springsteen's twenty-fourth album. His 2009 world tour of the same name has now sold over 1.5 million concert tickets in 2009 alone, with the new dates expected to be added in the next few days, it will push that number over the two million mark. Could you please tell me from this page the date and city in which Bruce will be performing from July 21 till August 22.

For 10 Points : Valladolid - Spain, Sevilla – Spain, Udine - Italy
For 5 Points : Benidorm – Spain (2)
The Others: Torino – Italy, Bilbao – Spain, Santiago – Spain, Hartford CT, USA, Mansfield MA, USA

Scores
We have a sole winner in this round, who finally ran away from the pack in the very last minute, in order to get that much desired point with a score of 45 points : Denni19
With 40 points: Gatsby 722, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo
With 35points: Brandz_mygirl

A hearty congratulations goes out to the sole winner of this round Denni19 , who will receive a much cherished trivia point for the month of July. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#480560 - Sat Aug 01 2009 09:27 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

There's another 25 (approx) hours to go before Round 27 closes.

And am very glad that I don't have to change Q5. Thanks all for the feedbacks.

#480561 - Sat Aug 01 2009 09:28 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Near about 24 hours to go for Round 28, friends and neighbors ...

#480562 - Sun Aug 02 2009 09:36 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 28 - Tuesday
"Bessie Smith"
Five brilliant participants !

1. To begin, please tell me any other song that hit #1, US charts, in Billboard magazine in 1941.

For 10 Points:
Amapola (Pretty Little Poppy) (Jimmy Dorsey), Blue Champagne (Jimmy Dorsey), Green Eyes (Aquellos Ojos Verdes) (Jimmy Dorsey), My Sister and I (Jimmy Dorsey), Song of the Volga Boatmen (Glenn Miller)
For 5 Points:
None

'Frenesi' (Artie Shaw), 'Piano Concerto in B Flat' (Freddy Martin), 'Elmer's Tune' (Glenn Miller), 'Maria Elena' (Jimmy Dorsey) and 'Daddy' (Sammy Kaye) were the others. Looks like Jimmy Dorsey was *hot* that year, eh?

2. The play ("Run, Little Chillun") has, as the title suggests, four settings in it. Please tell me one of them. OR you may choose to tell the [primary] producer or director of either show on either's opening night so long ago.

For 10 Points:
Lew Cooper (producer), The Parsonage in a small Southern town, Robert Rockmore (producer)
For 5 Points:
Hope Baptist Church (2)

The Meeting Place of the New Day Pilgrims, Toomer's Bottom, (director) Sam Merlin and (director) Clarence Muse were the other possibilities on that one.

3. The Ten Misunderstandings about the WTO. Tell me one of those "misunderstandings", please!

For 10 Points:
The WTO is for free trade at any cost, Weaker countries are forced to join the WTO, The WTO is undemocratic
For 5 Points:
The WTO is the tool of powerful lobbies (2)

The other alleged "misunderstandings" are: The WTO dictates policy, Commercial interests take priority over development …, … and over the environment, … and over health and safety, The WTO destroys jobs, worsens poverty and Small countries are powerless in the WTO.

4. One can become a 'member' there, with varying price schedules depending on who wishes to contribute. Kindly tell me one of the types of memberships one can purchase at The Chattanooga African American Museum as per their website.

For 10 Points:
Chairman's Round Table, Organization, Silver
For 5 Points:
Contributing (2)

Leaving Senior/Student, Individual, Family and Gold memberships unchosen today.

5. To finish, just tell me a track on that disk only (fr. "Bessie Smith: The Complete Recordings, Vol. 1") whose title has the word *Blues* in it.

For 10 Points:
Bleeding Hearted Blues, Gulf Coast Blues, Lady Luck Blues, Midnight Blues, Oh Daddy Blues (You Won't Have No Mama At All)
For 5 Points:
None

Bessie belted out 'Down Hearted Blues', 'Mama's Got The Blues', 'Yodeling Blues', 'Jail-House Blues' -and- 'Sam Jones' Blues' on that disk, too.

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, Mugaboo and szabs
40 Points! .... maninmidohio

Almost a point gotten by everybody there. Congrats to brandz_mygirl, denni19, Mugaboo and szabs ! And... seeing as how he came up short by just one answer? I can't give him a point, I reckon, but will say "congratulations!" to maninmidohio, too . Well-played by all of you, folks! Thanks for joining in.

#480563 - Sun Aug 02 2009 11:25 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 27 is closed. Results will be a mite-ish late. Have to say that I loved everyone's haiku efforts.

#480564 - Sun Aug 02 2009 03:59 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 29 - Wednesday - will close tomorrow!

#480565 - Mon Aug 03 2009 05:31 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

July 27 Round – Answers

Mmmmmmmmms had five great players.

1) Restricting your answers only to those that begin with the letter M, please tell me EITHER a city –or- a state that the band (“Hanson”) is scheduled to perform in during the tour.
For Ten Points: Massachusetts, Michigan, Minneapolis
For Five Points: Maryland (2)
Not mentioned: Milwaukee, Minnesota, Missouri, Myrtle Beach.

2) If I say “the golden arches”, you’ll probably know who or what I am referring to. Living where I am, AND assuming that I am housebound and living alone, please tell me ANY item I can order for S$2.00 or less, excluding all liquids.
For Ten Points: Apple Pie, Cheeseburger, Double Cheeseburger
For Five Points: Hot Fudge Sundae (2)
Not mentioned: Hashbrown, McChicken, French Fries – S, Oreo® McFlurry, Strawberry Sundae.
I didn’t do a good job of it, but I was trying to hint my way to the Singapore McDelivery menu in the question.

3) Please tell me a country that celebrates Mother’ Day in the month of May, again restricting your answers only to those country names that begin with the letter M.
For Ten Points: Malaysia
For Five Points: Mauritius (2), Morocco (2)
Not mentioned: Malta, Mexico, Mozambique, Myanmar.

4) This famous person has portrayed the son of “Judge James K. Hardy’ in a series of films, in a very long career. This person is also well known for his matrimonial pursuits. Please give me the name of any one he has wedded.
For Ten Points: Ava Gardner, Betty Jane Rase, Carolyn Hockett, Elaine Devry, Martha Vickers
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Carolyn Mitchell, Jan Chamberlain, Marge Lane.
I think I’ve watched all the “Andy Hardy” films. Love them.

5) Please write me a haiku (using the traditional format of 5-7-5 syllables) on the subject of money.
For Ten Points: Everyone!
For Five Points: None!

All the haikus submitted are just fantastic. I had the most difficult time trying to decide which one is the funniest. I liked every one of them. I’ve decided that every haiku deserved its own category and so, here goes:-

For Ten Points: Most thought provoking: Money, quite wicked / Or maybe it’s jinxed power / That confuses it?
For Ten Points: Most true to life: Money comes and goes / Through my wallet it does flow / Nothing left to save.
For Ten Points: Most inspirational: It is not easy / To do without lots of green / But strengthens your mind.
For Ten Points Plus an additional 2.5 points (had to split the extra 5 points because there are two winners in this category): Funniest:
- I once had a pound / but I lost the shiny coin / eaten by a squid.
- Impulse purchases / Makes your banker super glad / Credit crunch apart.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
47.5 points: Mugaboo & Szabs Well done to our two winners! And they were already leading before the extra points were awarded!

Other Results:
40 points: Gatsby, Maninmidohio & Denni

#480566 - Mon Aug 03 2009 01:48 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 29th July results

Q1. A popular household pet
FOR TEN POINTS:
Gerbil, Turtle, Budgerigars, Parakeet, Goldfish,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Cat, Goldfish and more

Q2. An animal you would find on the farm
FOR TEN POINTS:
Pig, Ostriches, Goat, Dog, Goose,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Horse, Cow and more

Q3. A breed of dog
FOR TEN POINTS:
Havenese, Boxer, Bouvier des Flandres, Schnauzer, Afghan,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Golden retriever, Yorkshire Terrier and more

Q4. An animal you would find in the zoo
FOR TEN POINTS:
Giraffe, Koala, Camel, Orang-utan,, Tapir,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Lion, Tiger and more

Q5. Something you can do with your pet
FOR TEN POINTS:
Get it to fetch a stick, go to the beach, Rely on her to keep door-to-door salespeople away, Visit the veterinarian together, Groom it,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all

NOT MENTIONED:
Teach it agility, ride it and more

SCORES
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby - 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo - 50
Szabs - 50

Well done to all!

#480567 - Tue Aug 04 2009 12:04 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 31 - The Phi Beta Kappa Round will end in 24 hours. Plenty of time to get your answers in. If you have never tried the Trivia Rounds before, give them a try - they are a lot of fun.

#480568 - Wed Aug 05 2009 01:26 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Results – Round 31

We had 6 great players for the Phi Beta Kappa Round. Thanks to all for playing.

1. Please tell me a letter in the Greek alphabet besides Phi that only has one vowel.

For 10 Points:
Rho, and Psi
For 5 Points: Nu (2) and Chi (2)
Not Chosen: My, Xi, and Pi

2. Phi Beta Kappa is actually the Greek initials of its motto is Greek. Please give me one of the words in the official translation of this motto.

Motto:
Love of learning is the guide of life.

For 10 Points: Of, Is, The, and Guide
For 5 Points: Love (2)
Not Chosen: Learning and Life

3. Please tell me a chapter (university or college) of Phi Beta Kappa that is the only one in the state that it is located in.

For 10 Points:
University of Hawaii, University of New Mexico, University of South Dakota, and West Virginia University
For 5 Points: University of Nebraska (2)
Not Chosen: University of Delaware, University of Idaho, University of North Dakota, University of Utah, and University of Wyoming

4. Please tell me a member of Phi Beta Kappa who was inducted in the period between 1800 and 1826 and the school they were inducted at.

For 10 Points:
William H. Seward — Union
For 5 Points: Rufus Choate — Dartmouth (3) and Nathaniel Hawthorne — Bowdoin (2)
Not Chosen: Daniel Webster — Dartmouth, John Calhoun — Yale, Samuel Morse — Yale, Joseph Tracy — Dartmouth, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow — Bowdoin, and many others but these are the ones easily found in Wikipedia

5. Please tell me one of the designated Phi Beta Kappa visiting scholars for 2009-2010, but I only want one that does not use their middle initial in their name.

For 10 Points:
Andrew Odiyzko and Alan Ryan
For 5 Points: Doug McAdam (2) and Stephen Owen (2)
Not Chosen: Thomas Bender, Joan Comaroff, Elaine Fuchs, and Linda Gordon

The Results:

With 40 Points: PDAZ, szabs, and brandz_mygirl
With 35 Points: denni19
With 30 Points: Mugaboo and Gastby722

The ladies take the top 4 spots with PDAZ, szabs, and brandz_mygirl in a three way tie for the first place. Each will receive a Fun Trivia point for the month of July. With much appreciation, I applaud all of the players for coping so well with the Phi Beta Kappa Round.

#480569 - Sun Aug 16 2009 12:39 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Here are the results for the month of July :

1) szabs (10 points)
2) brandz_mygirl
....Gatsby722
....maninmidohio (all 7 points)
5) Mugaboo (6 points)
6) denni19 (5 points)
7) deepakmr (3 points)
8) PDAZ (1 point)

szabs was the winner for July 2009, scoring 10 points!

Year-to-date:

1) szabs (47 points)
2) maninmidohio (46 points)
3) brandz_mygirl
....Mugaboo (43 points each)
5) denni19 (41 points)
6) deepakmr (40 points)
7) Gatsby722 (36 points)
8) leelee63 (8 points)
9) deputygary (7 points)
10) PDAZ (4 points)
11) Bikoz