Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#488801 - Mon Aug 03 2009 06:05 PM August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Gatsby722
Wednesdays - JaneMarple
Thursdays - Deepakmr
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Any changes, just let us know !

#488802 - Tue Aug 04 2009 09:54 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 3 will be late. Sorry all, just kind of busy with real life. Will get it posted, hopefully later today.

#488803 - Tue Aug 04 2009 10:55 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 4 ~ Tuesday

I just got the Independent Film Channel on my TV system (one can only imagine how much I'm loving that decision, too ) and have been glued to the independent movies they air. And these fresh, firecracker actors! Brilliant network, for sure. Anyway, I saw this guy in a film broadcast last week called Last Days. It, and he, caught my interest with its delivery and mind-blowing originality ...
P.S. He's no relation to a guy named Brad, either .

1. Michael Pitt was born in West Orange, a township in central Essex County, New Jersey. Small place, Orange -- the population, as per the 2000 Census, was less than 45,000. BUT the place has a good bit of charisma to it as it is a slice of small town Americana (kinda) just seventeen short miles from New York City ~ and it adjoins the South Mountain Reservation which has been described "a wilderness, as it probably existed at the time of Hendrick Hudson, a primitive forest abounding with deer and other wild animals, and traversed by streams alive with trout. Game is plentiful – partridges, quail, woodcock, rabbits, squirrels of every species, raccoons and foxes -- even occasionally a hungry bear ..." Sounds like a perfect spot for a creative young man to grow up, yes? The electricity of the city nearby, and the basics of nature even closer. Thomas Alva Edison, who invented the practical motion picture camera? His first movie studio was even located in West Orange, too, FYI. According to this site, West Orange's downtown has a pub called Cecil's Jazz Club at 364 Valley Road -- please tell me a *domestic* beer they sell there.

2. The Trestle at Pope Lick Creek is a stage play written by Naomi Wallace, set in a generic 'town outside a city' (much like West Orange?) somewhere in the United States in 1936. The story focuses on two teenagers with no hopes for the future. The only thing these lads can pit their wits against in their dead-end town hit hard by the depression is the "Seven-Ten Train" that crosses the trestle at Pope Lick Creek. You have to run across the tracks to reach said trestle - towards the oncoming train. If you don't make it before the train hits the trestle, there are no safety sides, and you're a hundred feet above a dry creek. In other words? You're a goner . Pitt made his off-Broadway debut in the play in 1999. Kindly tell me any other play written by the (rather fascinating, by the sounds of it) author Naomi Wallace.

3. The first time I remember seeing (or even hearing of) Michael Pitt was on the television series "Dawson's Creek", which began airing on the WB network in the late 1990's, whereupon he played a notably charismatic (but offbeat) high school student named Henry Parker. His character was engaging -- he was a football player, and a good one, who developed the 'hots' for the one-year-older Jen Lindley, always played magnificently by the fetching Michelle Williams. The two begin a short-lived fling together on the show, but only stay relevant for a mere 15 episodes (sigh) ... which, maybe, amounts to an almost *long-term* high school relationship? Their chemistry together was quite apparent, though. As it turned out, they were both incredibly gifted young actors. So, tell me an episode (from the year 2000 only) of "Dawson's Creek" in which Michael Pitt appeared.

4. Next, in 2001, came another 'colorful' project. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a 2001 American musical film (based on the stage musical of the same title) about a fictional rock and roll band fronted by an East German transgendered singer named *Hedwig*. Her lover, with whom she writes some songs, later leaves her and goes on to become a wildly successful rock star with the songs Hedwig wrote both alone AND with him. This runaway rascal is played by Michael Pitt. As it goes, 'internationally ignored' Hedwig and her band of Eastern Europeans, the Angry Inch, are forced to support themselves by playing coffee bars and strip mall dives, such as at a seafood restaurant chain called Bilgewaters. Over time, the picture has gathered a devoted cult following similar to that of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which is high praise indeed. The film also won the Best Director and Audience Awards at the Sundance Film Festival -- and I have to say, it was truly a pretty exceptional movie (and original, too). This time, tell me any other film that has won the Audience Award: Dramatic at Sundance SINCE 2001, the year Hedwig and the Angry Inch won.

5. Last Days is a 2005 film by director Gus Van Sant, and is a fictionalized account of the last days of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain. The flick stars Michael Pitt as *Blake* (a not-so-disguised version of Cobain). Van Sant says he thought about the project for nearly a decade ~ at one point he wanted to do an official biopic, but decided against the idea out of fear of being sued by Cobain's widow, Courtney Love. He was [justifiably] not sure how Nirvana's fans and family would react to the film. The plot follows Blake, finally alienated and disenchanted entirely, who is escaping his disjointed life by isolating himself at his mansion. He eludes a private detective looking for him and ignores his ex-wife's demands that he should come home -- he spends much of the film walking around, muttering to himself, sometimes even wearing a dress while playing music (?). At the end, he goes out to a low-rent club, returns home, and dies (presumably by suicide). And that, folks, is pretty much the whole film . Pitt really sank his teeth into the role, though. His character's self-destruct was powerfully performed. But, to close, all I'll ask is that you name any member, any time, of the band Nirvana.

This mostly "unknown actor" round will close up on Sunday, around noon. Have a terrific week, hopefully free of too many angry inches !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Aug 04 2009 11:22 AM)

#488804 - Tue Aug 04 2009 09:23 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday August 3 – Quiz

N is for Nice.

1) I remember there was a period in my primary school life when the whole class seemed to be fixated on the word “nice”. Everything was nice. One day our form teacher decided to ban the use of the word “nice”. We had to come up with a different word/words or face her wrath. Please give me a one-word synonym for nice. The meaning of “nice” has evolved a little since my primary school days. The “nice” that I am referring to in this question is “It’s such a nice day for the beach, so let’s go.” –or- “She’s such a nice girl, I want to be her friend.”

2) Nuclear energy – The “How Stuff Works” website has an article on how nuclear power works. Within the article, is a diagram about the parts within a nuclear power plant. Please name any of those parts labeled A to J.

3) Never Never Land or Neverland – Not M. Jackson related. “The Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up” was one of my childhood favourite books. From the novel, please name one of the lost boys or one of the Darling children.

4) Nobel Prizes are awarded every year since 1901, to those who have contributed immensely in the fields of Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature and Peace, and since 1969, there has also been an associated award granted for excellence in Economics. The prizes are awarded on 10 December, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel’s death (1833 – 1896). Alfred Nobel was the inventor of dynamite and made a huge fortune during his lifetime. Please tell me an organization that has received the Nobel Peace Prize and whose name (the organization’s) does not include the word “International”.

5) The Republic of Singapore Navy (“RSN”) patrols the waters of Singapore “to safeguard Singapore’s territorial waters, deter seas robberies and look out for illegal immigrants”. The RSN has its own official “navy song” (which I didn’t know about prior to reading up for this question). Excluding the chorus, please give me a line from the “navy song”.

This round will close on Sunday 9 August at noon FT time. Happy week wishes to one and all.

#488805 - Wed Aug 05 2009 05:47 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 5th August 2009
Q1 A film beginning with N
Q2 A song title beginning with N
Q3 A book title beginning with N
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with N
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with N
This closes on Sunday or Monday

#488806 - Fri Aug 07 2009 11:39 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 8 Friday

Todays round is dedicated to the 8th of August

1. The most successful zeppelin ever built, was the LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin which flew more than a million miles on 590 flights. During its nine year career, Graf Zeppelin made the first commercial passenger flight across the Atlantic, the first commercial passenger flight around the world, flew a scientific mission over the North Pole, made the first regularly scheduled transatlantic passenger crossings by air. On the 8th of August 1929 the Zeppelin started it’s first round the world flight. From the wiki page of the LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin go to the section of “Round-the-world flight”, please give me the name of any of the cities – countries mentioned in that section.

2. The Soviet Union formally declared war on the Empire of Japan on August 8, 1945, beginning the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation (Soviet invasion of Manchuria) on the following day. The Soviets invaded the Japanese state of Manchukuo, they also conquered Mengjiang, as well as northern Korea, southern Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands. The Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation was subdivided into smaller operational and tactical parts, please give me the name of one of those operations.

3. The Great Train Robbery is the name given to a £2.6 million train robbery committed on 8 August 1963 at Bridego Railway Bridge, Ledburn England. The bulk of the stolen money was not recovered. At the time, it was probably the largest robbery by value in British history, until the Baker Street robbery of 1971. Please give me the name of one of the gang members involved in this robbery.

4. The Warsaw radio mast was located in Konstantynów, Gąbin, Poland was the world's tallest structure until its collapse on 8 August 1991, The mast was 646.38 metres (2,120.67 ft) tall. Its construction, started in July 1970, was completed on 18 May 1974, and it was used by Warsaw Radio-Television. A catastrophic failure, caused by an error in exchanging the guy-wires on the highest stock, led to the collapse of the mast, the mast first bent and then snapped at roughly half its height. From this page , please give me the name of a famous transmission site in Poland (doesn’t matter if they are shut down).

5. Dustin Lee Hoffman was born on August 8, 1937. He has had a very active and prolific career since 1960, he first drew critical praise for the 1966 Off-Broadway play Eh? for which he won a Theatre World Award and a Drama Desk Award. This was soon followed by his breakout movie role as Ben Braddock in the 1967 film The Graduate. Please give me the title of a movie where he has an acting role from 2000 till 2008.

This round will end on Wednesday, if you have any questions just pm me, in the meantime have a great weekend.

#488807 - Sat Aug 08 2009 02:02 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 9 - Saturday 8th August

1. Name any menber of the "Rat Pack"

2. The Boomtown Rats were an Irish Rock band, mostly of the late 70's and 80's. Please give me a town where they go on tour during any December schedule of either "The Boomtown Rats" or "The Rats". (from any year)

3. Ellen van Deelen is a Dutch photographer. Recently she got two rats (Mosy and Witje) to pose for her camera. Please tell me any (miniature) musical instument, that Ellen van Deelen took with rats.

4. A rat was the only animal I dissected at school. From this diagram please give me a part of Rat anatomy.

5. Last week the small town of Ziketan (in the Chinese province of Qinghai), was struck by the bacteria of same species (yersinia pestis) that caused what was known as "The Black Death" in the 14th century. This is often blamed on rats (that carry infected fleas), but also caused by breathing on someone. The outbreak in Ziketan was caused by a herder's dog that died after eating a marmot infected it with the bacteria. Other than Pestis, please tell my a genus of the Bacteria Yersinia.

The round will close on Thursday (noon FT time).

Edited to clarify question 2

Edited by Mugaboo (Sun Aug 09 2009 02:03 AM)

#488808 - Sat Aug 08 2009 09:34 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 hours to go for Round 4 ...

#488809 - Sun Aug 09 2009 05:14 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 3 has just under 6 hours to go before closing (says the writer sheepishly). I haven't yet sent acknowledgements to answers received but will be doing so shortly. Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.

#488810 - Sun Aug 09 2009 09:12 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 4 - Tuesday
"Michael Pitt"
Five well-known (and quite skilled) players !

1. According to its official website, West Orange's downtown has a pub called Cecil's Jazz Club at 364 Valley Road -- please tell me a *domestic* beer they sell there.

For 10 Points:
Bud Light, Miller Lite
For 5 Points:
Coors Light (3)

The others are Budweiser, Smirnoff Ice, Sam Adams, Michelob and Miller High Life!

2. Kindly tell me any other play written by the (rather fascinating, by the sounds of it) author Naomi Wallace.

For 10 Points:
Birdy; The Hard Weather Boating Party; No Such Cold Thing; Things of Dry Hours; Twenty One Positions: A Cartographic Dream of the Middle East
For 5 Points:
None

"In The Heart of America", "One Flea Spare", "Slaughter City", "The Girl Who Fell Through a Hole in Her Jumper", "The War Boys" and "The Fever Chart: Three Visions of the Middle East", among others, would've been right too.

3. So, tell me an episode (from the year 2000 only) of "Dawson's Creek" in which Michael Pitt appeared.

For 10 Points:
The Longest Day, Neverland, Valentine's Day Massacre
For 5 Points:
Weekend in the Country (2)

The rest of Pitt's appearances happened in 'Barefoot at Capefest', 'Northern Lights', 'Stolen Kisses', 'Show Me Love', 'The Anti-Prom' -and- 'True Love'.

4. This time, tell me any other film that has won the Audience Award: Dramatic at Sundance SINCE 2001, the year Hedwig and the Angry Inch won.

For 10 Points:
Real Women Have Curves (2002), Maria Full of Grace (2004), Hustle & Flow (2005), Quinceañera (2006), The Wackness (2008)
For 5 Points:
None

The Station Agent (2003), Grace is Gone (2007) and Precious: Based on a Novel by Sapphire (2009) were the rest.

5. But, to close, all I'll ask is that you name any member, any time, of the band Nirvana.

For 10 Points:
Aaron Burckhard, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic
For 5 Points:
Dave Foster (2)

Chad Channing, Dale Crover, Jason Everman, Dan Pete and, o' course, Kurt Cobain himself round out the roster.

The Results!

50 Points! .... maninmidohio
45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl and denni19
40 Points! .... Mugaboo
35 Points! .... szabs

Yay! A perfect score for maninmidohio today. He gets a well-deserved August Trivia Point! I appreciate you all for playing! Great job, all-around !

#488811 - Sun Aug 09 2009 09:57 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'll close round 5 - Wednesday's - tomorrow

#488812 - Mon Aug 10 2009 01:15 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

August 3 Round – Answers

Four fanta-bulous folks for N is for Nice.

1) Please give me a one-word synonym for nice.
For Ten Points: Congenial, Delightful, Peaceful, Pleasant.
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Affable, Amicable, Charming, Good, Kind and more

2) The “How Stuff Works” website has an article on how nuclear power works. Within the article, is a diagram about the parts within a nuclear power plant. Please name any of those parts labeled A to J.
For Ten Points: None!
For Five Points: Control Rods (2), Pump (2)
Not mentioned: Containment structure, Cooling tower, Cooling water condenser, Generator, Reactor, Steam generator, Steam line, Turbine.

3) From the novel, please name one of the lost boys or one of the Darling children.
For Ten Points: Binky (one of the twins), John Darling
For Five Points: Slightly (2)
Not mentioned: Curly, Marmaduke (the other twin), Michael Darling, Nibs, Tootles, Wendy Darling
The twins’ names were revealed in “Peter Pan in Scarlet”, the official sequel to “The Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up”. Twin 1 and Twin 2 would have also been acceptable answers.

4) Please tell me an organization that has received the Nobel Peace Prize and whose name (the organization’s) does not include the word “International”.
For Ten Points: American Friends Service Committee, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, United Nations Children’s Fund, United Nations Peace-Keeping Forces
Not mentioned: Friends Service Council, Grameen Bank, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, League of Red Cross Societies, Médecins Sans Frontières, Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs, United Nations.

5) Excluding the chorus, please give me a line from the “navy song” (of the Republic of Singapore Navy).
For Ten Points: See bold-ed lines below.
Not mentioned: See un-bold-ed lines below.

From a humble beginning the day we were born,
Onwards and upwards we've moved on and on.
Never looking back we'll always grow.
Onwards and upwards the best we'll show.

Our waters to guard to ensure they are safe.
It's a great task only meant for the brave.
It does make us proud to know that we
All play a part to protect our seas.

With our comrades in hand from the Land and the Air,
TO-GETHER we stand in defence of our land.
Never flagging in adversity,
Forward we'll march on to VICTORY.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Gatsby & Denni Well done to both our winners!

Other Results:
40 points: Mugaboo & Maninmidohio

#488813 - Mon Aug 10 2009 01:56 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 5th August 2009 Results
Q1 A film beginning with N
FOR TEN POINTS:
No Funny Business (1933), Never Been Kissed (1999), Nick of time, Nell, Near Dark (1987),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten Points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Notorious and more

Q2 A song title beginning with N
FOR TEN POINTS:
Nellie the elephant, Nothing Man (Bruce Springsteen), None of Us Are Free (Solomon Burke), No, No, Nanette, Now and Forever - Richard Marx,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten Points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Not tonight, Josephine and more

Q3 A book title beginning with N
FOR TEN POINTS:
No Resistance (Evelyn Anthony), "Nights of Rain and Stars", by Maeve Binchy, Nights in Rodanthe (Nicholas Sparks), Never Cry Wolf (Farley Mowat), Never Enough by Harold Robbins,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten Points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Nemesis (Agatha Christie) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with N
FOR TEN POINTS:
Nitrogen, Numbness, Neurosis, Namesake, Nobleman,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten Points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Nattered and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with N
FOR TEN POINTS:
Nutmeg, Nhoque (Brazilian potato dumplings), Nectarine,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Naan bread (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Nut brittle and more

COMPETITORS

Gatsby – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Brandz_mygirl - 45
Denni – 45

Well done to Gatsby, Maninmidohio and Mugaboo

#488814 - Tue Aug 11 2009 07:03 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday August 10 – Quiz

It’s all about “I”. No, not an alphabet round.

1) I am a night owl, so getting up early isn’t my thing. Yet, strangely enough whenever I am away on holiday, I tend to sleep earlier and wake up earlier. Must be all the sightseeing during the day. I often read about the health and other benefits of going to bed early and rising early, but sadly never about sleeping and waking up late. Should I change my ways? From here, please tell me “how to become an early riser”, just the first sentence please from any of the pointers.

2) I haven’t yet met a dessert I didn’t like. I am especially fond of trifles and cheesecakes, just about anything really that is ‘super-rich’ and ‘super-tasting’. Local desserts are nice too, readily available at most food centers at reasonable prices. Could you please name me a Singapore dessert that is listed in Wikipedia.

3) I am a huge fan of Hugh Laurie and the show “House M.D.”. Am waiting most eagerly for 21 September. The official Fox “House M.D.” website has a list of “House-isms” (one-or-more-line quotes/zingers courtesy of “Dr. Greg House”), please give me one of them from the episode “Emancipation”.

4) I am into walking for keeping fit. I started brisk walking about a year and a half ago. I lost some weight and I felt more energized. Now I try to take at least two long walks a week and shorter ones whenever I can. I’ve also discovered that many Singaporeans do not appreciate walking. Whenever I decide to walk anywhere, even if it’s just a matter of a 10-minute walk, I am always being advised to take the bus or the car or the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) train. I now don’t bother to say I’m walking anymore and just leave a little earlier to get wherever I’m going. This site has “10 walking mistakes to avoid”, please tell me any one of them.

5) I am currently reading a book by Hugh Laurie (yes, the man writes and writes well too, going by all the reviews). Please give me a last word from the first 10 paragraphs of the book by Hugh Laurie. That would make it 9 possible answers.

I started working on this round with all the good intentions of getting it out on time. Good intentions are obviously not enough. Will work on mixing some effort in with the good intentions and see what happens next week. This round will close on Sunday 16 August at noon FT time. Wishing one and all a wonderful week.

#488815 - Tue Aug 11 2009 04:31 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 11 ~ Tuesday

Hmmm. Another IFC Channel - themed quiz. This indie film I caught by accident, having woke up in the middle o' the night and finding the TV still on. A "Cult Horror" film, they call it? I'm not sure I'd be so complimentary ... but (obviously) it got stuck in my head ...

1. The movie was the (unsettling, times ten) brain child of Robert Bartleh Cummings (born January 12, 1965), better known by his stage name Rob Zombie. He's a Grammy-nominated American musician, film director, screenwriter and film producer and the founder and former lead singer of the band White Zombie. 'Hellbilly Deluxe' is the debut solo album by Rob, released on August 25, 1998. The record met with notable success, spawning several popular singles (in particular, "Dragula" and "Living Dead Girl"). All told, Zombie has sold over 15 million albums -- five of which have been certified platinum and another two certified gold, making him the artist with the most gold and platinum discs on the Geffen Records label, which is actually v-e-r-y impressive! I'll hasten to add that his films have not been so successful, at least not in a *mainstream* sense. To begin, please tell me the name of a track on the album 'Hellbilly Deluxe' by the [entirely curious] Rob Zombie. Oh, and don't use any song title mentioned in the text of this question ....

2. The Devil's Rejects (2005) takes us on the unsavory adventures of the Firefly family, They consist of Tiny, Rufus, 'Mother' Firefly, Otis, Baby and a fellow dubbed "Captain Spaulding" (yes, there's even a side story in the flick that would make any memories of Groucho Marx more than a little disturbing) and this completely whacko clan have already been responsible for some 75 homicides by the time the movie begins. The police are closing in, however ~ which doesn't slow them down as they attempt, by the looks of it, to pull off app. 75 more gruesome murders in 90 minutes . The whole lot of it/them are pretty much unappetizing to consider ... so let's talk about the Firefly Restaurant ... much more tasteful, for sure. Sitting happily on 24th Street in San Francisco, it is (unlike those Fireflys in the film) quite civilized, inviting and almost whimsical in its theme(s). Food's pretty good, too, the locals say. Pick an entree from their menu at the Firefly Restaurant, please!

3. Leslie Easterbrook had a pivotal role in The Devil's Rejects -- she played *Mother* Firefly, the matriarch of this pack of crazies who, at the end of the day, met her Waterloo in a thematically violent, gut-churning manner. Easterbrook may be most remembered for roles far different than this one, however (let's hope so, anyway). Her first 'stab' at fame came playing Rhonda Lee, the Marilyn-Monroe-like neighbor on TV's "Laverne & Shirley", but her best known part was that of Sergeant (later Lieutenant, then Captain) Debbie Callahan, the no-nonsense blonde bombshell in the popular Police Academy movie series. She's also showed up in such TV series over the years like: "Murder, She Wrote", "Hangin' With Mr. Cooper", "Baywatch", "Matlock", "Hunter", "The Dukes of Hazzard" and "Ryan's Hope". Good grief, before the woman showed up in the hellish movie in question today she'd even sang the National Anthem at Super Bowl XVII and starred on Broadway! Anyway ... please tell me a subtitle of any of the Police Academy movies -- movies only, too, please. Nothing made-for-television.

4. As the grisly events shook down in the film, the 'family' saw that there was no hope left for their twisted selves. What to do, then? En masse they decided to commit *suicide by cop* - meaning that they planned to die, true enough, but chose to let the police have no other option but to kill them. Let me tell ya, these people were lunatics and clearly far (far) beyond hope. One could wonder if, at some point in their development, would it have helped had they read a book by Dr. Daniel G. Amen called "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life"? Probably not. They were hot (hot) messes genetically, I think. I sort of wonder if these characters as presented in the movie were even able to read to begin with ! At any rate, please tell me an odd-numbered chapter in the book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness".

5. As the Fireflys reached their gory end, several dozen dead and brutalized bodies in the path behind them, the song (by Lynyrd Skynyrd) called "Free Bird" played in the background. And it played. And it played! Let's just say that the long scene of the thugs being blown to smithereens seemed to go on for a (pretty much unnecessary) hour, in slow motion no less. I suppose it's the sort of thing that cult-ish audiences find "artsy". Me? Had it not been 3AM when I was watching, I might have blown lunch. Blech. So enough of all that. There's a decent, NONviolent (unless you're a chicken, that is --- poultry might consider it a bit deadly having the place as an address, I reckon) little farm in Amish country in Pennsylvania called Hain Pure Protein. It is there that FreeBird - Antibiotic Free Chicken - are grown and processed, then shipped to restaurants across the globe. Much more palatable than the 'Free Bird' as it happened in The Devil's Rejects, indeed. While on that subject, Southern Living magazine composed a list titled "Where to Eat at the South's Best Fried Chicken Restaurants" in the USA. Kindly tell me the name of one of the seven restaurants they selected as serving up the *best* fried chicken.

You might be thinking I mentioned very little about the plot in The Devil's Rejects. Nope. There was no 'plot' to mention ! I will mention, though, that this Round will close up Sunday, early afternoon. OK? Have a good rest-of-the-week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sat Aug 15 2009 09:39 AM)

#488816 - Wed Aug 12 2009 04:08 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a quick reminder Round 8 will be closing in about 6 hours.

#488817 - Wed Aug 12 2009 05:48 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 12th August 2009
Q1. A lesson children learn at school
Q2. Something children are unwilling to do
Q3. A popular children’s television programme
Q4. A popular children’s toy
Q5. A popular playground game
This closes next Monday!

#488818 - Thu Aug 13 2009 10:51 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 8 Friday

Four wonderful players participated in the round dedicated to the 8th of August.

1. The most successful zeppelin ever built, was the LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin which flew more than a million miles on 590 flights. On the 8th of August 1929 the Zeppelin started it’s first round the world flight. From the wiki page of the LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin go to the section of “Round-the-world flight”, please give me the name of any of the cities – countries mentioned in that section.

10 Points to all : Siberia, Tokyo, San Francisco, Los Angeles
Among Others: Friedrichshafen, Chicago

2. The Soviet Union formally declared war on the Empire of Japan on August 8, 1945, beginning the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation (Soviet invasion of Manchuria) on the following day. The Soviets invaded the Japanese state of Manchukuo, they also conquered Mengjiang, as well as northern Korea, southern Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands. The Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation was subdivided into smaller operational and tactical parts, please give me the name of one of those operations.

For 10 Points : Khingan-Mukden Offensive Operation
For 5 Points : South Sakhalin Army Group Offensive Operation (3)
Among Others:
Harbin-Kirin Offensive Operation, Sungari Offensive Operation, Seisin Landing Operation, Kuril Landing Operation

3. The Great Train Robbery is the name given to a £2.6 million train robbery committed on 8 August 1963 at Bridego Railway Bridge, Ledburn England. The bulk of the stolen money was not recovered. At the time, it was probably the largest robbery by value in British history, until the Baker Street robbery of 1971. Please give me the name of one of the gang members involved in this robbery

For 10 Points : Charles Frederick Wilson, Roger Cordrey
For 5 Points : Tommy Wisbey (2)
Among Others: Bruce Reynolds, Buster Edwards, Gordon Goody, Ronnie Biggs

4. The Warsaw radio mast was located in Konstantynów, Poland it was the world's tallest structure until its collapse on 8 August 1991, The mast was 646.38 metres (2,120.67 ft) tall. Its construction, started in July 1970, was completed on 18 May 1974, and it was used by Warsaw Radio-Television. A catastrophic failure, caused by an error in exchanging the guy-wires on the highest stock, led to the collapse of the mast, the mast first bent and then snapped at roughly half its height. From this page , please give me the name of a famous transmission site in Poland (doesn’t matter if they are shut down)

10 Points to all : Wola Rasztowska, Przebedowo, Solec Kujawski, Konstantynow.
The others: Raszyn, Gliwice, Radom longwave transmitter

5. Dustin Lee Hoffman was born on August 8, 1937. Please give me the title of a movie where he has an acting role from 2000 till 2008.

10 Points to all : Finding Neverland, Moonlight Mile, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, Meet the Fockers
Among Others: Confidence, Runaway Jury, The Lost City, Last Chance Harvey

Scores

We have a sole winner in this round, who finally ran away from the pack to get that much desired trivia point with a perfect score of 50 points : Mugaboo
With 45points: Brandz_mygirl
With 40 points: Gatsby 722, Maninmidohio

A hearty congratulations goes out to the sole winner of this round Mugaboo , who will receive a much cherished trivia point for the month of August. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#488819 - Thu Aug 13 2009 11:11 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 9 - 4 played

1. Name any menber of the "Rat Pack"
For 10 points: Lauren Bacall; Peter Lawford
For 5 points: Dean Martin [2]
Not mentioned include: Humphrey Bogart; Sammy Davis, Jr.; Frank Sinatra

2. Please give me a town where they go on tour during any December schedule of either "The Boomtown Rats" or "The Rats".
For 10 points: Manchester (Boomtown Rats 1978); Andover; Poole; Whitehaven (Rats 2009 tour)
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Glasgow; Lancaster; Leeds (Boomtown Rats); Bristol; Norwich (Rats)

3. Please tell me any (miniature) musical instument, that Ellen van Deelen took with rats.
For 10 points: Banjo; French Horn; Guitar; Piano
Not mentioned: Saxophone; Pan-flute; Accordion; Flute; Violin; Euphonium

4. A rat was the only animal I dissected at school. From this diagram please give me a part of Rat anatomy.
For 10 points: Liver; Right ventricle of the heart; Stomach, Thymus

5. Other than Pestis, please tell my a genus of the Bacteria Yersinia.
For 10 points: Frederiksenii; Ruckeri
For 5 points: Bercovieri [2]
Not mentioned: Aldovae; Aleksiciae; Enterocolitica; Intermedia; Kristensenii; Mollaretii; Pseudotuberculosis; Rohdei

Scores:

50 points: Maninmidohio; Szabs
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722

Four points were thrown into the wind, but only two fell safely at the feet of Maninmidohio and Szabs, well done to you both.

#488820 - Fri Aug 14 2009 07:12 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 14

June of 1966 was a momentous month for me because it was the month that I graduated from Hobart College with my Bachelor of Arts degree. This round will look at some of the other major events that occurred during that month. This will be the June 1966 Round.

1. June 1, 1966, was the date that the last episode of “The Dick Van Dyke Show” aired after an extremely successful run that started on October 3, 1961. The show garnered 15 Emmy awards including well deserved multiple awards for its stars, Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore, and its great writing staff. Please give me the title of one of the last eight episodes of “The Dick Van Dyke Show.”

2. On June 8, 1966, a powerful tornado hit Topeka, KS, causing major damage and loss of life. The storm registered F5 on the Fujita Scale of storm intensity – the highest rating. Please tell me a F5 rated tornado (date and location) that had at least 35 deaths associated with it.

3. On June 13, 1966, the U.S. Supreme Court handed down the Miranda vs. Arizona ruling that suspects must be informed of their rights before police can question them. This was a landmark decision strengthening the rights of the accused. Please tell me one of the dissenting Supreme Court justices in the Miranda opinion or alternatively one of the three other cases that were consolidated with Miranda vs. Arizona and therefore decided in the same opinion (because the Miranda case was listed first the decision is always referred to by that name).

4. On June 14, 1966, the Vatican abolished the Index Librorum Prohibitorum (index of banned books). The index was initiated as early as 1529 with heresy, moral deficiency, and sexual explicitness being among the grounds for inclusion. It was under the reforms of Pope Paul VI that the index was abandoned. Please give me an author that was included in the Index Librorum Prohibitorum either for selected works or for all works. Please limit your choice to those with surnames beginning with M.

5. On June 30, 1966, the National Organization for Women was founded in Washington, DC. Twenty-eight women and men came together to found the new organization whose statement of purpose stated, "The purpose of NOW is to take action to bring women into full participation in the mainstream of American society now, exercising all privileges and responsibilities thereof in truly equal partnership with men." On the NOW web site they have a page “Honoring Our Founders.” Please tell me the name of one of these founders that has an M anywhere in their name.

This round will conclude noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, August 19. I look forward to your answers and hope you all have a great weekend.

#488821 - Sat Aug 15 2009 11:27 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Just 24 hours left until Round 11 closes up shop ....

#488822 - Sat Aug 15 2009 11:25 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

...and just under 12 hours to go for Round 10.

#488823 - Sun Aug 16 2009 10:01 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 11 - Tuesday
"The Devil's Rejects"
Five *take-no-prisoners* participants (thank you !)

1. To begin, please tell me the name of a track on the album 'Hellbilly Deluxe' by the [entirely curious] Rob Zombie. Oh, and don't use any song title mentioned in the text of this question ....

For 10 Points:
How to Make a Monster, Meet the Creeper, Superbeast
For 5 Points:
Return of the Phantom Stranger (2)

"Call of the Zombie", "Perversion 99", "Demonoid Phenomenon", "Spookshow Baby", "The Ballad of Resurrection Joe and Rosa Whore", "What Lurks on Channel X?" and "The Beginning of the End" were the others to pick from.

2. Pick an entree from their menu at the Firefly Restaurant, please!

For 10 Points:
Arctic Char with Zucchini Pancake, Creamed Corn Sauce and Olive Oil Poached Cherry Tomatoes; The Fried Chicken of Your Dreams with Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Peas & Carrots and a Damn Fine Buttermilk Biscuit; Grilled Eggplant and Halloumi Cheese with Red Pepper Braised Fingerling Potatoes, Cucumber–Herb Salad and Toasted Pine Nut Vinaigrette; Grilled Georges Bank Sea Scallops with Gazpacho Sauce, Couscous and Blue Lake Beans; Grilled Pork Rib Chop with Corn Spoon Bread, Arugula Salad, Grilled Peaches and Roast Pork Jus
For Five Points:
Yay. None to report today !

Sesame Crusted Beef Short Ribs with Shaoxing Wine Sauce, Black & White Rice and Baby Bok Choy and Corn and Toasted Basmati Rice Stuffed Ronde de Nice Squash with Coconut Curry Sauce, English Pea Purée and Sugar Snap Peas could have been chosen, too.

3. Please tell me a subtitle of any of the Police Academy movies -- movies only, too please. Nothing made-for-television.

For 10 Points:
#3 - Back in Training (1986); #6 - City Under Siege (1989)
For 5 Points:
#5 - Assignment Miami Beach (1988) (3)

The others? #2 - Their First Assignment (1985), #4 - Citizens on Patrol (1987) and Mission to Moscow (1994).

4. At any rate, please tell me an odd-numbered chapter in the book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness".

For 10 Points:
Looking Into Inattention and Impulsivity
For 5 Points:
The Dark Side (2), Looking Into Memory and Temper (2)

Readers in search of better self-control might have also browsed 'For Those Who Have Eyes, Let Them See', 'Looking Into Love and Depression', 'Looking Into Anxiety and Fear', 'Looking Into Worry and Obsessiveness', 'The Missing Links', 'Help!' and 'Brain Dos and Brain Don'ts'

5. Kindly tell me the name of one of the seven restaurants they (Southern Living magazine) selected as serving up the *best* fried chicken.

For 10 Points:
Gladys Knight and Ron Winans Chicken & Waffles (Atlanta, Georgia)
For 5 Points:
Fiorella's Restaurant (New Orleans, Louisiana) (2), Price's Chicken Coop (Charlotte, North Carolina) (2)

Leaving Babe's Chicken Dinner House (Roanoke, Texas), Bubba's Cooks Country (Dallas, Texas), Kessler's 1891 Eatery and Pub (Versailles, Kentucky) and Seafood & Chicken Box (Center Point, Alabama) ...

The Results!

40 Points! .... Mugaboo and szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19 and maninmidohio

Close scores, indeed, once again. Congratulations and a coveted Trivia Point issued to Mugaboo and szabs today!
Thanks, folks, for joining in.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Aug 16 2009 10:03 AM)

#488824 - Sun Aug 16 2009 01:57 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 12 closes tomorrow

#488825 - Mon Aug 17 2009 09:06 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

August 10 Round – Answers

Thank you to the fantastic group of five for It’s all about “I”.

1) From here, please tell me “how to become an early riser”, just the first sentence please from any of the pointers.
For Ten Points: Commute, Do not rationalize, Take advantage of all that extra time
For Five Points: Allow yourself to sleep earlier (2)
Not mentioned: Don’t make drastic changes, Go out of the bedroom as soon as you shut off your alarm, Have a good reason, Make waking up early a reward, Put your alarm clock far from your bed.

2) Could you please name me a Singapore dessert that is listed in Wikipedia.
For Ten Points: Cheng tng, Mango pudding, Red rubies, Tau-Huey, Watermelon sago
Not mentioned: Almond jelly, Beancurd barley, Bubur cha cha, Chendol Ais, Green bean soup, Honeydew sago, Ice kacang, Kueh, O-Ni, Pineapple tarts, Red bean soup, Tangyuan.

3) The official Fox “House M.D.” website has a list of “House-isms” (one-or-more-line quotes/zingers courtesy of “Dr. Greg House”), please give me one of them from the episode “Emancipation”.
For Ten Points:
- Emotional is immediate; if she went to the rational first, then there was no emotional to process.
- Just because we call something 'poison,' doesn't mean it's bad for you.
- Yesterday you were all BFF, today you think she's pathological.
- You didn't flinch when you found out a sixteen-year-old who should have her whole life ahead of her doesn't. Means you're here about someone even younger dying even faster.
- You treated her based on empathetic orphan syndrome -- and almost killed her in the process.
Not mentioned:
- I want you to stop thinking that acting inscrutable makes you anything other than annoying
- Our job is to find what's killing patients, not treat them for chronic idiocy.
- Pot calling the kettle a pot?
- Silent and unhappy is better than vocal and unhelpful.
- Tell her the thing about emotional reactions is they're definitionally irrational or... 'stupid.
- Thank God some of those offshore sweat shop jobs are coming back to America; makes up for the telemarketing work we're losing.
- Went home without ringing either her metaphorical or literal bell
- You're an idiot. You'd rather die than face your parents because what? You broke their Faberge egg?

4) This site has “10 walking mistakes to avoid”, please tell me any one of them.
For Ten Points: No Arms, Not Drinking Enough
For Five Points: Head Down (3)
Not mentioned: Chicken Winging, Flapping Slapping Feet, Leaning, Overstriding, Overtraining, The Wrong Clothes, The Wrong Shoes.

5) Please give me a last word from the first 10 paragraphs of the book by Hugh Laurie.
For Ten Points: Consider, Pieces, Them
For Five Points: Don’t (2)
Not mentioned: Answer, Arm, Me, Unbearable, Unless.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby & Denni Three winners this round, well done!

Other Results:
40 points: Szabs & Maninmidohio.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002