Topic Options
#488826 - Mon Aug 17 2009 12:04 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 12th August 2009 results
Q1. A lesson children learn at school
FOR TEN POINTS:
Arts and Crafts, Teamwork, History, Sharing, Social studies, Respect your teachers,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
English and more

Q2. Something children are unwilling to do
FOR TEN POINTS:
Clean their ears, Take shots,/injections,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Eat Greens/vegetables (2), Bathe (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Share and more

Q3. A popular children’s television programme
FOR TEN POINTS:
The Magic Roundabout, The Electric Company, Blue Peter, Sponge Bob Squarepants, H2O: Just Add Water, Teletubbies,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
In the Night Garden and more

Q4. A popular children’s toy
FOR TEN POINTS:
Lego, Etch-a-sketch, Model railway. G.I. Joe, Yo-yo, Rubber duck,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Dolls, and more

Q5. A popular playground game
FOR TEN POINTS:
Duck, Duck Goose, Basketball, Oranges and Lemons, Tetherball, Jump rope, Conkers,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Hopscotch and more

SCORES
Denni – 50
Gatsby - 50
Brandz_mygirl – 45
Maninmidohio – 45
Mugaboo – 45
Szabs – 45
Well done to Denni and Gatsby

#488827 - Mon Aug 17 2009 11:17 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday August 17 – Quiz

Please “Bear” with me.

1) Teddy Bear – I had a big (bright) orange teddy bear when I was little. It wasn’t one of those soft squishy toys. Its hair was short and stiff. Its head, arms and legs had joints so it could pose, and it made a growly sound when moving from lying down to standing up. I can’t remember what happened to “Angela” (named after my best friend in school) eventually, but till today I have a soft spot for unhuggable, brilliantly colored teddy bears. The “Stuffington Bear Factory” is one of the oldest teddy bear manufacturers in the U.S., its toys are fully “Made in the U.S.A.”. Please look for “Huggable Bear” (I tried looking for “unhuggable bears” to no avail) on their website and tell me a color it is available in.

2) “Bare necessities” from “The Jungle Book” is definitely one of my favorite childhood movie songs. Please give me any word from that song that starts with the letter ‘B’

3) “The Golden Bear” is the nickname given to a well-known sports person, apparently because of his size, his hair color and his aggressive play. If you go to his official website, you will find some “Golden Bear Trivia”. Please give me any one of the questions listed on that page. Including the current question, there are 7 to choose from. I find using the magnifier quite helpful in reading those teeny-weeny words.

4) Please give me one of the eight species of bears.

5) Question 2 gave me an idea for this last question. “Bare” and “Bear” are homonyms. Please give me another pair of homonyms.

Yay! Round done. But boo, it’s early Tuesday. I missed the Monday deadline again. Never mind, the round’s done, that is the important thing.

This round will close on Sunday 23 August at noon FT time. Wishing everyone a week of fine weather, good food and great company.

#488828 - Tue Aug 18 2009 01:58 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 14, the June 1966 round will close in approximately 20 hours. Plenty of time to get in your answers.

#488829 - Tue Aug 18 2009 06:37 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 18 ~ Tuesday

Bought a book last week -- which I rarely do these days. Let's just say I have quite a load of books in my house waiting to be read without adding to the pile. But I couldn't resist. So this Round is about my latest purchase ...

1. Annie Dillard was born in 1945, the daughter of affluent parents and unfailingly free thinkers. In fact, her Dad made a point to teach his eldest daughter as much as he could ~ all the way from plumbing to economics. She was never 'shielded' from the dark side of human nature and/or history, though. In between piano classes, dance lessons and even rock collecting? As a girl she was encouraged to learn about everything. Becoming a writer seemed more than likely, eh? She eventually wrote about growing up, in very loving terms, in the book " An American Childhood". Dillard attended Hollins College (Hollins University since 1998), in Roanoke, Virginia, where she studied literature and creative writing. The most recent edition of The Princeton Review's Best 371 Colleges includes Hollins on its list. Kindly tell me another college on said listing that also starts with the letter *H*. Note: that'd be the 'overall best' list --- none of the 'specialized' ones.

2. Interesting day to enter the world for Ms. Dillard. Her birth date (April 30, 1945) was the very same that Adolf Hitler and his wife of one day, Eva Braun, committed suicide as the Red Army approached their "Führerbunker" in Berlin. For some reason, Braun has always slightly intrigued me. I've no real idea why ~ let's face it, her contribution to history was flimsy at best (other than that she married the way she did). She was allegedly suicidal, thoroughly apolitical, NOT interesting, a far cry from intellectual, and so forth. And, clearly, she wasn't too discerning when it came to her romantic entanglements, either . Pretty much? *Confused* might describe her perfectly. She made a quote once, re: her odd relationship with Adolf (and even it sounds entirely flummoxed - as if even she wasn't sure why she was involved with the beast). It starts: "When he says he loves me, it only means he loves me at that particular instant. ..." Please tell me another word in the rest of that quote (two more sentences, total) that has four or more letters in it.

3. The book I purchased last Wednesday was a rare thing, when it comes to Annie Dillard. It was a novel! Typically she writes nonfiction (such as "Holy the Firm", "Teaching a Stone to Talk", "For the Time Being" and, of course, her acclaimed "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek"). In addition to teaching at Wesleyan University, in Middletown, Connecticut, she also has crafted some awesome poetry, too. Have a look at her official website and tell me a magazine/periodical (NO books and/or anthologies) wherein one might have found her work published. BUT only pick magazines that start with the letters found in A-N-N-I-E D-I-L-L-A-R-D. Thanks!

4. The novel I grabbed was titled "The Maytrees", a story exploring the lives of Toby and Lou Maytree in Provincetown, Massachusetts, from the time of courting to old age. They are literate Provincetown bohemians who meet and marry, have a son, and begin to grow old before Toby decides to leave for Maine to build a new life with a [female] family friend. Toby and Lou remain estranged as the book follows both characters through life's progress: Lou raises their son while Toby and 'Deary' develop a successful business. When Deary falls ill and Toby loses his ability to care for her, the families are reunited. I haven't started it yet -- but I have a strong hunch that it'll be a grand example of a *simple* story (if there really ever is such a thing?) told brilliantly. This time, all I need to know is a sentence in the first paragraph of "The Maytrees" with a person's name in it. First or last name, either/or.

5. After a near-fatal bout of pneumonia in 1971, Dillard began "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek". She spent eight years living near the Creek, a suburban area surrounded by forests, mountains, and various animal life. When she wasn't reading, she spent her time outdoors walking and she began to write about her quiet and introspective observations during the time. She started by transposing notes from her twenty-plus-volume reading journal and it ultimately took her eight months to turn the notecards into the book. Towards the end of those months, she was so absorbed that she sometimes wrote for fifteen hours a day, cut off entirely from the world and the people in it. For her efforts, this "small" memoir earned her a Pulitzer Prize in 1975, when she was only 29 years old! To close this up today, then, please tell me a book that won the same prize Annie Dillard did (Pulitzer for General Nonfiction) within four years before or four years after, inclusively, her prize-winning year. Note: Annie Dillard won't count ...

'Twill close up on Sunday, early afternoon-ish, OK? See you then !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Aug 18 2009 08:36 PM)

#488830 - Wed Aug 19 2009 05:52 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 18th August 2009
Q1 A film beginning with O
Q2 A song title beginning with O
Q3 A book title beginning with O
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with O
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with O
This will close next Monday.

#488831 - Wed Aug 19 2009 12:47 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 14 – Results

We had six swell players for the June 1966 Round. Thanks to all for playing.

1. Please give me the title of one of the last eight episodes of “The Dick Van Dyke Show.”

For 10 Points:
Talk to the Snail; A Day in the Life of Alan Brady; You Ought to Be in Pictures; Love Thy Neighbor; The Gunslinger; and The Last Chapter
For 5 Points: None
Not Chosen: Obnoxious, Offensive, Egomaniac, Etc; and The Man from My Uncle

2. Please tell me a F5 rated tornado (date and location) that had at least 35 deaths associated with it.

For 10 Points:
December 5, 1953 – Vicksburg, MS; May 25, 1955 – Udall, KS; and May 3, 1999 – Bridge Creek/Moore, OK
For 5 Points: March 3, 1966 – Jackson, MS (3)
Not Chosen: May 11, 1953 – Waco, TX; June 8, 1953 – Flint, MI; May 20, 1957 – KS/MO; and February 21, 1971 – Delhi, LA

3. Please tell me one of the dissenting Supreme Court judges in the Miranda opinion or alternatively one of the three other cases that were consolidated with Miranda vs. Arizona and therefore decided in the same opinion.

For 10 Points:
Stewart and White
For 5 Points: Clark (2) and Harlan (2)
Not Chosen: California v. Stewart; Vignera v. New York; and Westover v. United States

4. Please give me an author that was included in the Index Librorum Prohibitorum either for selected works or for all works. Please limit your choice to those with surnames beginning with M.

It would seem that almost all authors, except the most orthodox, found their way onto the list. Most of out players picked one of the choices offered by Wikipedia, however one player did go to the original source and came up with another option.

For 10 Points: Montesquieu, Niccolò Machiavelli, Maimonides, Nicolas Malebranche, John Stuart Mill, and Wilhelmus Momma
For 5 Points: None
Not Chosen: Montaigne, Maeterlinck, Jules Michelet, and John Milton

5. On the NOW web site they have a page “Honoring Our Founders.” Please tell me the name of one of these founders that has an M anywhere in their name.

For 10 Points:
Sonia Pressman Fuentes
For 5 Points: Muriel Fox (2) and Sister Mary Joel Read (3)
Not Chosen: Mary Eastwood, Richard Graham, Anna Arnold Hedgeman, Pauli Murray, and Marguerite Rawalt

The Results:

With 50 Points: szabs
With 40 Points: Gatsby722, brandz_mygirl, and denni19
With 35 Points: PDAZ and Mugaboo

Hearty congratulations goes out to szabs who not only came out on top but did it with a perfect round. To her goes the much coveted August FunTrivia Point. Thanks again to all for playing.

#488832 - Wed Aug 19 2009 09:36 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Hey, folks. I'm going to (sigh) have to drop out of hosting for a while, yet again. Gettin' sick of me yet ? I'll check in. And play when I can.

I will get the results up for Round 18, though. Stay tuned ...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Aug 20 2009 05:02 AM)

#488833 - Fri Aug 21 2009 10:09 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 21 Friday

This round is dedicated to Easter Island one of the world's most isolated inhabited islands in the world, about 1200 years ago a double-hulled canoe filled with seafarers from a distant culture landed upon its shores. Over the centuries that followed a remarkable society developed in isolation on the island. For reasons still unknown they began carving giant statues out of volcanic rock. These monuments, known, as "moai" are some of the most incredible ancient relics ever discovered.

1. Easter Island also known as Rapa Nui, is a Polynesian island, at the southeastern most point of the Polynesian triangle. A special territory of Chile annexed in 1888. The Island got it’s name from the Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen, who encountered it on Easter Sunday 1722, while searching for Davis or David's island. The Polynesian name of the island, "Rapa Nui" , was coined by labour immigrants from Rapa in the Bass Islands, but apart from these two names the Island has a variety of names attributed to it. From the wiki page please give me any other name the Island is/ was known as.

2. Despite being such a tiny island, it has a wealth of beauty both man made and natural. From this page , please go to the “Island Tour”, and give me the name of one of the tours that can be taken.

3. The whole island and its civilization is surrounded by mystery. Where did these people come from and why did they disappear? Science has learned much about the enigma of Easter Island and has put to rest some of the more bizarre theories, but questions and controversies remain. From this site , go to the FAQ about Eastern Island, and please give me a FAQ that DOES not start with W, the first few words of the question will suffice.

4. Cecil Wassman a well known photographer has taken many pictures of the Moai statues on Eastern Island. From this page , please give me a title of any of his photographs, also include the image nº as some of them have the same title.

5. It is unclear why the Easter Islanders turned to statue construction on such a massive scale. Their obsession with it ultimately brought about their downfall. The Moai figures where carved from soft volcanic tuff, which was perfect material for statue carving. Using harder volcanic rock implements they were able to first sketch out the moai's outline in the rock wall and then systematically chip away, finally when a statue was finished, it was broken off its keel and slid carefully down the slope using ropes tied to giant palm trunks which were sunk in specially prepared holes in rim of the crater. At the base of the crater they were raised up and final decorations were carved into its torso and back, preparation was then made for transport across the island to various ahu. The ahu were the ceremonial platforms built to support collections of moai. Please go to the last paragraph on this page that starts with “Soon ahu with…..” and give me a seven or more letter word in this paragraph.

This round will close on Wednesday noonish FT time, if you have any problems pm me, in the meantime have a great weekend .

#488834 - Sat Aug 22 2009 01:46 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 22 - Saturday 22nd August

1. Thirteen Days ago I saw live, what most people only see in movies. A stuntman, setting himself alight and falling 50 feet onto an airbed, and then getting up and running about 10 meters before someone put out the fire. Still not too late to see them, next Sunday the appear at Egham Please tell me one the Arena Acts, taking part in the Egham Royal Show 2009 on the 30th of August.

2. The show I mentioned in Question 1, was opened by Scotland's First Minister. The Scottish Nationalist Party must be trying to woo me at the moment, as five days before, I came across our local Member of Parliament, wheeling his trolley round the supermarket. Now there's a thing - a supermarket trolley. Please name any manufacturer of supermarket trolleys.

3. The first Supermarket trolley appeared in 1937, at an Oklahoma supermarket. It's inventor, Sylvan Goldman, opened his first Sun Grocery market in Tulsa in 1920. Tell me a shop in the Uticia Square shopping center in Tulsa, that sells footware.

4. The University of Tulsa, is ranked at 83rd in the U.S. News and World Report's 2009 edition of America's Best Colleges. Please tell be one of the top ten National Universities in the US for 2009.

5. The college at the top of that list, first published it's college magazine in 1898. Please give me any publicatoin that was established in 1898.

Any Difficulties? If so please PM me for a link. This round will close on Thursday (noon FT time).

Edited by Mugaboo (Mon Aug 24 2009 01:58 AM)

#488835 - Sat Aug 22 2009 09:38 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Before I forget, Round 17 will be open for another (just over) 25 hours.

#488836 - Sat Aug 22 2009 11:25 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
A little less than 24 hours to go for Round 18 ...

#488837 - Sun Aug 23 2009 11:32 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

August 17 Round – Answers

Thank you to the five wonderful players for Please “Bear” with me.

1) The “Stuffington Bear Factory” is one of the oldest teddy bear manufacturers in the U.S., its toys are fully “Made in the U.S.A.”. Please look for “Huggable Bear” (I tried looking for “unhuggable bears” to no avail) on their website and tell me a color it is available in.
For Ten Points: Black & Tan, Chocolate & Tan
For Five Points: Ivory (3)
Not mentioned: Black & Red, Brown, Orange, White.

2) Please give me any word from that song (“Bare necessities” from “The Jungle Book”) that starts with the letter ‘B’
For Ten Points: Bear, Bee(s), Big, Britches, But
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Backyard, Bare, Beware, Brings, Buzzin’.

3) If you go to his (Jack Nicklaus) official website, you will find some “Golden Bear Trivia”. Please give me any one of the questions listed on that page.
For Ten Points: How many times has Glen Abbey hosted the Canadian Open?, In what year did Harbor Town open for play?, In what year did Jack play in his first Masters?, In what year will the champions tour play an event in Asia at the Jack Nicklaus golf club Korea?, What holes at the Champion Course at PGA National make up the "Bear Trap"?
Not mentioned: In what year was the Memorial Tournament founded?, Which of the following courses is located in Cornwall England?

4) Please give me one of the eight species of bears.
For Ten Points: Polar Bear, Spectacled Bear, Ursus minimus (Auvergne Bear)
For Five Points: North American Black Bear (2)
Not mentioned: Asiatic Black Bear, Brown or Grizzly Bear, Giant Panda, Sloth Bear, Sun Bear.
Oops, realized too late that some sites have listed more than eight species of bears. And possibly have used different names too. Sorry for any confusion. Another lesson learnt (hopefully) towards drafting better questions.

5) Please give me another pair of homonyms (other than “bare” and “bear”).
For Ten Points: Beach / Beech, Main / Mane, Ewe / Yew
For Five Points: Berth / Birth (2)
Not mentioned:Aid / Aide, Ail / Ale, Loan / Lone, Marry / Merry, Soar / Sore and lots more.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Szabs Winning with a full 50 points too! Well done!

Other Results:
45 points: Gatsby & Maninmidohio.
40 points: Denni.
35 points: Mugaboo.

#488838 - Sun Aug 23 2009 11:33 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 18 - Tuesday
"Annie Dillard"
Five outstanding players !

1. The most recent edition of The Princeton Review's Best 371 Colleges includes Hollins on its list. Kindly tell me another college on said listing that also starts with the letter *H*.

For 10 Points:
Hampden-Sydney College, Haverford College, Hillsdale College
For 5 Points:
Hampshire College (2)

The other *H* coleges listed are Hamilton College, Hampton University, Hanover College, Harvard College, Harvey Mudd College, Hendrix College, Hiram College, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Hofstra University and Howard University.

2. It starts: "When he says he loves me, it only means he loves me at that particular instant. ..." Please tell me another word in the rest of that quote (two more sentences, total) that has four or more letters in it.

Full quote: " ... like his promises, which he never keeps. Why does he torment me like this, when he could finish it off at once?"

For 10 Points
Never, Keeps,This, Finish, Once
[b[For 5 Points:
None!

3. Have a look at her official website and tell me a magazine/periodical (NO books and/or anthologies) wherein one might have found her work published. BUT only pick magazines that start with the letters found in A-N-N-I-E D-I-L-L-A-R-D. Thanks!

For 10 Points:
Antaeus, Architectural Digest, Esquire, New Lazarus Review, New Orleans Review
For 5 Points:
None!

The Atlantic, The American Scholar, New York Quarterly, Nantucket Review, Antigonish Review, Image, New Republic and many others would've worked, too.

4. This time, all I need to know is a sentence in the first paragraph of "The Maytrees" with a person's name in it. First or last name, either/or.

For 10 Points:
That winter, the crowd on the frozen corner parted for Lou saying, "He's okay, it's alright." / With one hand Petie held his right leg. / His eyes lodged back just beneath his shed-roof browbone as Maytree's did.
For 5 Points:
"It's all right," Lou said. (2)

She saw Petie across Maytree's arms; his legs dangled. / She saw Maytree's bent head and his bombardier jacket's fleece. / He was passing his chin back and forth across Petie's forehead. / Maytree's pale eyes were lights glimpsed in a cave; Petie's eyes were themselves caves. and Maytree rubbed his cheek against Petie's forehead --- were the rest.

5. To close this up today, then, please tell me a book that won the same prize Annie Dillard did (Pulitzer for General Nonfiction) within four years before or four years after, inclusively, her prize-winning year.

For 10 Points:
1972: "Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-45" by Barbara W. Tuchman, 1978: The Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan
For 5 Points:
1977: "Beautiful Swimmers" by William W. Warner (3)

Also possibles? 1973: "Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam" by Frances FitzGerald; 1973: "Children of Crisis, Vols. II and III" by Robert Coles; 1974: "The Denial of Death" by Ernest Becker; 1976: "Why Survive? Being Old In America" by Robert Neil Butler --and-- 1979: "On Human Nature" by Edward O. Wilson

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidohio and Mugaboo
35 Points! .... szabs

Almost points for everyone there, again. In my estimation? You all won . Congrats to the *point grabbers*, though -- and thanks veddy much for playing this week!

#488839 - Sun Aug 23 2009 11:58 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 18 - Wednesday - closes tomorrow

#488840 - Mon Aug 24 2009 03:09 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Q1 A film beginning with O
FOR TEN POINTS:
Out on a Limb (1992), One Crazy Summer (1986), O (2001), October Sky,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
“Oliver!” (1968)

Q2 A song title beginning with O
FOR TEN POINTS:
One more rainy day (Deep Purple), One Safe Place (Marc Cohn), 'Oliver's Army' - Elvis Costello, On Top of Spaghetti,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
“Oh What a Beautiful Morning” and more

Q3 A book title beginning with O
FOR TEN POINTS:
Otherland (by Tad Williams), On the Way to the Wedding (Julia Quinn), "Outside the Dog Museum" by Jonathan Carroll, Out of Africa,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
“Oliver Twist” (Charles Dickens) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with O
FOR TEN POINTS:
Outmoded, Overhaul, Operatic, Overcast,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Overtake and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with O
FOR TEN POINTS:
Oatmeal, Oxtail soup, Oysters Rockefeller, Olive
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Orange and more!

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby – 50
Maninmidohio - 50
Mugaboo - 50

Well done to our quartet!

#488841 - Tue Aug 25 2009 07:06 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday August 24 – Quiz

Hair today, gone tomorrow. Yup, it’s about hair this week. I went for a haircut today. From an overgrown mop of hair hanging around my shoulders, I now have a neat short bob. Hence, the quiz title. Washing and drying my hair is going to be such a breeze.

1) Hair myths – Please choose one of the “Top 10 Hair Myths” from Hair News magazine.

2) Blow drying – I don’t blow dry my wet hair. It’s not about whether it damages my hair. It all boils down to time. I just don’t want to spend that amount of time blow drying when I could be doing something else, anything else. Okay, I’m also lazy. Wikihow has a 7 steps guide on “How to Blow Dry Hair”. Please tell me any one of them. Just the first sentence of any of the steps is fine.

3) “Blow Dry” – first get a barber who is a former hairdresser, his son, his ex-wife and her lover, add some unresolved family issues, dashes of a life-threatening illness and romance, stir them all well, then place them in a hairdressing competition with garnishings of competitive rivalry, and you will get a 2001 comedy film. Please give me the name of an actor/actress from the film “Blow Dry” whose character did not officially have a name.

4) Vidal Sassoon, creator of the Vidal Sassoon chain of salons of which he is no longer part of, having sold them off in 2002, has been quoted as saying “The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.” I like it. Today, the Sassoon salons (the “Vidal” name has been dropped off presumably after the chain was sold) provide training for would be “hair professionals” (their words, not mine). From their London based “30 weeks Diploma Course”, please tell me one of the equipment issued as part of the course.

5) Issues with your hair? – I have yet to come across a person who is truly contented with their hair as it is. This page has a list of common hair problems. Please give me any one of the 14 listed. Unfortunately if you click on any of them, all you get are various products to help you manage the problem, not information about the problem itself.

That’s it from me. Guess I should start calling this round the Monday/Tuesday round, seeing as it is mostly Tuesday when it finally gets posted. Round will close on Sunday 30 August at noon FT time. Happy week wishes to one and all.

#488842 - Tue Aug 25 2009 09:52 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a reminder Round 21 will close in 24 hours, everyone is welcome to join in.

#488843 - Wed Aug 26 2009 10:53 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 26th August 2009
Q1. A type of cereal
Q2. A star sign
Q3. A type of fruit
Q4. A type of embroidery stitch
Q5. A colour ball used in Snooker (not Pool)
This will close next Monday.

#488844 - Thu Aug 27 2009 11:03 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 22 - 4 played

1. Please tell me one the Arena Acts, taking part in the Egham Royal Show 2009 on the 30th of August.
For 10 points: Traction Engine Parade; Vintage Car Parade; Martial Arts Display; Sheep parade
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Bramley Hedge Raptors; Mark Stannage; Tumblairs

2. Please name any manufacturer of supermarket trolleys.
For 10 points: Chang Shu Hongda business equipment Ltd.; Chang Shu Hongyan Business Equipment Factory; Formost Plastic & Metalwork (Jiaxing) Co. Ltd.; Sanhe Metal Working Factory
Not mentioned include: Suzhou Jinta Metal Working Co., Ltd.; BAIYI cart manufactuere Co.,Ltd.; Unarco Commercial Products

3. Tell me a shop in the Uticia Square shopping center in Tulsa, that sells footware.
For 10 points: Brouse’s; Saks Fifth Avenue
For 5 points: Ann Taylor [2]
Not mentioned: Ann Taylor LOFT; Banana Republic; Miss Jackson’s; New Balance; Pavilion

4. Please tell be one of the top ten National Universities in the US for 2009.
For 10 points: Yale; Massachusetts Inst. of Tech.; Columbia University; Duke;
Not mentioned: Harvard; Princeton; Stanford; California Inst of Tech.; University of Pennsylvania; Chicago

5. Please give me any publicatoin that was established in 1898.
For 10 points: American Art Directory; Kentucky Irish American; The Nautilus; Scientific American Special Navy Supplement
Not mentioned include: Dos Fraye Vort; The Province; The Manila Times

Scores:

50 points: Maninmidohio; Szabs
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722

The same four played this time as did my round two weeks previous, and the same two come away with the spoils. A huge well done to Maninmidohio and Szabs.

#488845 - Fri Aug 28 2009 10:31 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 28

After graduation from Hobart College, I continued my education by going to graduate school at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My field was mathematics, but I also took some economics courses including some in the new field of econometrics (this will become of interest in a later phase of my life). This round will be the University of Minnesota Round.

1. The University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campuses) is vast. Hosting over 50,000 students annually in an urban environment is quite a challenge. With a mix of both resident and commuting students the need for parking spaces is a must. Please tell me a “ramp” that is available on campus for parking (limit your answers to those with “ramp” in the name.)

2. “Minnesota Rouser” is the name of the University of Minnesota fight song which is played at all athletic events of the school. Please give me any of the lines in “Minnesota Rouser.”

3. The Board of Regents is the governing body of the University of Minnesota. Please tell me the name of one of the Regents who is not an officer on the Board.

4. “The Gopher Way” is a series of tunnels and above ground connections that allow you to get around campus without going out of doors. I assure you, in the dead of a Minneapolis winter these connectors are well used. If one were to enter the system at Kolthoff Hall, tell me the name of a building that you could reach by only going north, east, or west by tunnel only. (This means that you are not allowed to double back and go south, but must always proceed in a northerly direction.)

5. Looking over the maps of the University of Minnesota, I can see many changes since I was at the school in the late 1960s. One of the biggest changes is the growth of the west bank campus. When I was there only one building was located there, and it is where I took my economic courses. This meant that I had to cross the Mississippi River to get to these courses. The Washington Avenue Bridge had been made a double decker bridge with cars on the lower level and pedestrians (mostly college students like myself) on the upper. From the Wikipedia article on the bridge, please give me one of the factoids from the box in the upper right that I have not already given you in this question.

This round will end about noonish (FT Time) Wednesday, September 2. I am leaving on vacation today, but I should be able to monitor responses. However, I may have difficulty posting results until I return, September 7. I hope you all have a great weekend. Do not hesitate to send me a message if you have any problems with any of the questions.

#488846 - Sat Aug 29 2009 10:23 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hi all, there's another 24 and a half hours to go before Round 24 closes. Hope everyone's having a great start to the weekend.

#488847 - Sun Aug 30 2009 03:16 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Closing round 26 tomorrow

#488848 - Mon Aug 31 2009 05:55 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

August 24 Round – Answers

Hair today, gone tomorrow

1) Please choose one of the “Top 10 Hair Myths” from Hair News magazine.
For Ten Points: Brushing your hair is good for it, Cutting your hair makes it stronger or grow faster, Dandruff is caused by dry scalp
For Five Points: Hair can turn gray or white over night (2)
Not mentioned: Baldness is inherited from the mother’s side of the family, Cutting your hair during a full moon makes it grow in healthier fuller faster or longer, Dandruff is contagious, Pluck one gray hair and two grow back, Split ends can be repaired, Tight hats cause baldness.

2) Wikihow has a 7 steps guide on “How to Blow Dry Hair”. Please tell me any one of them.
For Ten Points: Towel off your hair slightly just enough to stop the dripping, Work your way down and remember to move the blow dryer around again so nothing burns
For Five Points: Leave your hair a little bit damp (3)
Not mentioned: Finish with a blast of cold air to lock in shine, Separate your hair into sections, Start blow drying at the top/roots, Wash your hair.

3) Please give me the name of an actor/actress from the film “Blow Dry” whose character did not officially have a name.
For Ten Points: Janet Henfrey
For Five Points: Stephen Graham (2), Tony Barton (2)
Not mentioned: Christopher Biggins, Johnny Leeze, Jukka Hiltunen, Margaret Blakemore, Philip Wright, Willie Ross.

4) Today, the Sassoon salons (the “Vidal” name has been dropped off presumably after the chain was sold) provide training for would be “hair professionals” (their words, not mine). From their London based “30 weeks Diploma Course”, please tell me one of the equipment issued as part of the course.
For Ten Points: Clippers, Straightening irons, Tool roll
For Five Points: Section clips (2)
Not mentioned: ABC cutting manual, Brush(es), Comb(s), Gown, Hairdryer, Scissors, Water spray.

5) This page has a list of common hair problems. Please give me any one of the 14 listed.
For Ten Points: I am losing my hair, I have dandruff, I have limp flyaway hair, I need more body in my hair, Which straightener?
Not mentioned: I want my hair to be curly, I want my hair to look thicker, I want to colour my hair, I want to straighten my hair, My hair is too dry, My hair is too greasy, My hair is out of control, My scalp is flakey, My scalp is itchy.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Gatsby Congratulations to Gats!

Other Results:
40 points: Mugaboo & Szabs.
35 points: Denni & Maninmidohio.

#488849 - Mon Aug 31 2009 03:04 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 26th August results
Q1. A type of cereal
FOR TEN POINTS:
Rice, Banana Berry Burst Cheerios , Just Right, Bran Flakes,Millets,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Corn flakes, Cocoa pops and more

Q2. A star sign
FOR TEN POINTS:
Aries, Pisces, Capricorn,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Taurus (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Sagittarius, Gemini and more

Q3. A type of fruit
FOR TEN POINTS:
Berry, Papaya, Pineapple, Blackberry, Durian,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Apple, Pear and more

Q4. A type of embroidery stitch
FOR TEN POINTS:
Straight Open Cretan, Coral stitch, Honeycomb stitch
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Chain stitch,
NOT MENTIONED:
Cross stitch, French knot and more

Q5. A colour ball used in Snooker (not Pool)
FOR TEN POINTS:
Brown, Black, Red
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Green (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Pink, white and more

COMPEITORS
Brnadz_my girl – 50
Maninmidohio – 45
Mugaboo - 45
Szabs - 45
Physalius - 35
Well done to Brandz_mygirl

#488850 - Tue Sep 01 2009 09:22 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday August 31 – Quiz -or- as it should be known, the Monday/Tuesday round.

Various.

1) Hospitals used to be such dreary places when I was young. Nowadays they tend to resemble hotels, with shops, eateries, landscaped gardens. The Singapore General Hospital is the largest hospital here, 100% owned by the government and is a not-for-profit institution. From its website, please tell me a “Patient Information Pamphlet” available for viewing online, but limit your answer only to those titles that begin with any of the letters in “HOSPITAL”.

2) Bus rides – Buses are a great way to get around Singapore. They are clean, prompt, inexpensive and ‘greener’ for the environment than using private transport. The major drawback is the crowds of people. If I have to take the bus, I try to time my rides so as not to coincide with the ‘peak-hour’ crowds. Imagine standing in a crowded bus, holding on as best you can, surrounded and squashed on all sides by hot sticky bodies. Thankfully public buses here are all fully air-conditioned. Information on traveling by buses, MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) trains or LRT (Light Rail Transit) trains can be found on the TransitLink website. Look for the “Electronic Guide” by “Landmark Enquiry” and tell me a bus, only those with a 3-digit number please, that can take you to the Singapore General Hospital.

3) Foot reflexology – applying pressure to points on the feet to benefit other parts of the body. This is based on the idea that parts of the feet correspond to specific areas of the body. From here, please tell me an area of the body which corresponds to a part of the toes on either foot. Toes only, do not include the ball of the foot (where the toes join the rest of the foot). Names separated by a slash will be considered as separate names, so I make that as 12 possible answers.

4) “PFBs” and “NSCs” – what do these stand for, you ask. Well you can read all about them over here. From the grey-colored box somewhere in the middle of the page with the heading “Mothers confessed to…”, please give me any one of the ‘confessions’ listed. Feel free to quote the first few words for those really long ‘confessions’.

5) I just read that the Duggars are expecting their 19th child. In the spring! For real! Please name any of the 18 children who are aged 10 and under as of 1 September.

Whew, quiz done! That’s a relief. This round will close on Sunday 6 September at noon FT time. Happy week wishes everyone.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002