Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#494640 - Tue Sep 01 2009 01:44 PM September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Gatsby722 (as best he can )
Wednesdays - JaneMarple
Thursdays - Denni19
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Any changes, just let us know !

Edited by denni19 (Thu Sep 10 2009 06:58 AM)

#494641 - Tue Sep 01 2009 02:01 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 1 - Tuesday

Whew! Imagine it? It took me the better part of two weeks to finish it, but I find myself able to present some questions! Not sure how I'll be able to do in the future, but I thought I'd bother you with this lot (resignation aside, for the moment).

I saw [yet again] a movie on the TV that found my soul recently. This one is a wildly excellent one, however -- and one I never even knew existed. It's now on my personal 'Top Ten Films Of All-Time' list . It's called Spring Forward and it was released (with little fanfare, unfortunately) in 1999.

1. In the film Ned Beatty stars as *Murphy* (his first name is never mentioned), a veteran groundskeeper facing his golden years and impending retirement. Murphy is the kind of guy we see every day, many of us possibly thinking he's entirely inconsequential in the scheme of things. Just a talentless bloke who cleans up the parks, trims the bushes, mows the grass. But Beatty brings a richness to him that is, in a word, startling! Murph is a complicated, sensible, realistic and observant fellow indeed. And his conflicts are real as he takes on his new partner at his job -- his 'career' is coming to an end AND his only son is dying. Murph, "that guy at the park", has many more dimensions than just three. But, for today, we'll address Ned Beatty's [possibly] best known role - and he's made countless films. That'd be Deliverance in 1972, and his was the character that was sexually assaulted by two of the most repellant mountain men ever captured on screen. Four city boys taking a canoe trip down a perfectly untamed river? NOT a good idea . To begin, please tell me the *first* or *last* name of any of those four men (the characters, not the actors) who embarked on that canoe-ing adventure in Deliverance.

2. The other actor in Spring Forward was Liev Schreiber -- and I confess that I'd known little about his work, but [oddly enough] caught him in TWO films over the past weekends. In this one he plays *Paul* -- a hot-headed young ex-con just out of prison after robbing a Dunkin' Donuts. Again, though, there's much more to Paul than his fiery temper tries to bury. As things progress, Murph discovers, and somehow nurtures, all of the locked-up goodness (maybe even sweetness?) in Paul. As the seasons travel, Paul grows nicely and the brilliant (and I use that word respectfully) screenplay fleshes him out in a way that carries the whole story. The other Schreiber movie I got to see was the recent remake of The Manchurian Candidate. In that one he played Meryl Streep's [unfortunate] son. Meryl was, deliberately I'm sure, made to look like Hillary Clinton in the film. I suspect ol' Hillary wasn't a bit flattered . While on 'First Ladies of Arkansas' (which was a station Mrs. Clinton held, pre-White House), though? Tell me one of the first ten ladies given that title after Arkansas became a state (not when it was a territory). And *sigh* that question is harder than it looks by a mile . Some Governors had several wives in their life -- but not all of 'em were spouses when he was Governor. Some had no wife at all, etc. So, I need names of ONLY those first ten who served as 'First Lady'. In other words, just having been the wife (anytime) of a Governor there won't necessarily be correct. This site might be very helpful, I discovered.

3. The two men in the movie have jobs that, to many (including them, occasionally), would be seen as thankless, boring and generally undesirable. There ya go, though, yes? A person's gotta make a living! Over on a website called *Got A Job* -- they help teens and students find part-time jobs, seasonal jobs and summer jobs -- they conducted a "Worst Summer Job" contest. This would indicate that more than many young people and/or part timers get saddled with "professions" that are less than attractive to the overall population, too. But do it they do ... almost always hoping upon hope that better things lie ahead. This time, please tell me any sentence from the latest winning essay in that *gotajob.com* contest. Note: Abbreviated sentences are fine to use.

4. 'Tis no secret that the cinematic experience is not just in the visuals as they are painted on-screen. It's about the connection we make with the performances, the way we respond to the words, how much butter is on the popcorn, who we're watching with ... and, of course, the music! Spring Forward closes with a song by the awesomely talented Mark Mulcahy, a lovely little simple (but layered, somehow - just like the film itself) offering called "A Cup Of Tea And Your Insights". Please tell me a line in that tune that starts with the word *And*, OK?

5. Having effectively run out of questions that tie in (even a little) to the flow of the movie, I resorted to its main character for help. So we'll address the surname 'Murphy', I reckon. It reminded me of a book that my Dad swore by (?) and a movie based on it. The Search For Bridey Murphy tackled what was, at the time, a story that many found 'controversial'. Mostly because it dared to look at the idea of reincarnation as not only [maybe] real, but also as [possibly] scientific! To think that an average housewife could, with hypnotic regression, recall a past life in such vivid detail (and with a heretofore unknown-to-her accent as she recalled it, to boot) got folks to wondering in 1956. Bridey was played by the always-appealing Teresa Wright (1918-2005). Miss Wright was nominated for three Academy Awards in her life, almost all at the same time. To close, kindly tell me the film's title, the character she played, or the director regarding any movie that Teresa Wright was Oscar-nominated for.

This'll close on Sunday, sometime. Any questions, please ask (especially on that 'Arkansas' one --- I don't expect anybody to sort through historical records endlessly for answers on it, like I ended up doing). Have a good first week of September!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Sep 01 2009 02:18 PM)

#494642 - Tue Sep 01 2009 02:12 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Err... about the roster...

This 'prodigal daughter' would love to return to hosting, if you'll have me back.

I'll take any day or share any day with any of you. So now you'll all have to decide where to fit me in

#494643 - Wed Sep 02 2009 06:56 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 2nd September round
Q1 A film beginning with P
Q2 A song title beginning with P
Q3 A book title beginning with P
Q4 A eight letter word beginning with P
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with P
This round will close next Monday!

#494644 - Fri Sep 04 2009 10:49 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 4 Friday

1. Britain is packed with dog-friendly destinations, what makes a dog-friendly destination? Non-snooty pubs are one factor, as are wild beaches with plenty of sticks and dog-walking trails in abundance. From this page , please tell me a dog friendly destination.

2. While holidaying in Lake Windermere and the Lake District, we might as well pop in to The Watermill Inn and brewing company, as our friendly pooches are welcome to stay the night and enjoy the creature comforts . On their site , go to “ It’s a dogs life”, from the paragraph It's definitely a Dogs Life at the Watermill! please give me a seven or more letter word.

3. There’s even a scientific-sounding name for it: cryptozoology, the study of hidden or unknown animals. Obsessive fans of legendary monsters travel the world over to hunt down their legendary prey. From this page , please give me one of these legendary animals and their location

4. When you see a body of water, do you instantly imagine razor-toothed monsters lurking below the surface, ready to take a delectable bite out of your arm or leg? Although sharks can be found all over the world, and in many places you wouldn’t expect them to be, from this site please tell me one of the “World's Top Shark Attack Beaches”.

5. Although grass is usually seen growing on the ground, it doesn’t necessarily have to grow there all the time, actually some very artistic shapes can be made with it. On this page you will see the 10 most amazing grass sculptures, please give me the name of one of these sculptures.

This round will close on Wednesday the 9th of September, if you any trouble just pm me, in the meantime have a great weekend.

#494645 - Sat Sep 05 2009 01:35 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 5 - Saturday 5th September

1. I hope I'm not expected to defend Scotland's decision for releasing the Lockerbie Bomber. I'm saying Nothing except reminding folks that Nixon pardoned the only man convicted of the My Lai Massacre - so that's where my question is going. Name any officer who was alleged to have taken part in the My Lai Massacre.

2. September is a bad month for Scottish Midges, it is estimated it looses £586 million punds to the tourist trade every year. But it is only the female that bites, as it needs a bolld meal before she lays her eggs (about 110 of them in up to three batches). Based on the figure two million midges weigh one kilogram, please give me any non-metric unit of weight, along with an estimated number of midges one unit would weigh. (two significant figures, will do)

3. The first Saturday in September is when the race up Britain's highest mountain is held. For the first time this year, there will be a cup for the last of the 600 runners to the summit. Please tell me a either the highest mountain, tallest waterfall or highest village in either England, Scotland or Wales.

4. Please name any recurring intelligent alien race, in any of the "Star Trek" series.

5. Please name any station you would stop at if you went from Iwaki to Koriyama in Japan. (on the East Ban'etsu Line)

Roll up! Roll up! Roll up folks. But please finish rolling by Thursday noon (FT time), as that's when the round will close.

#494646 - Sat Sep 05 2009 11:50 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Hi all, Aug Round 31 will be closing in approximately 11 hours.

Just in case anyone is having problems trying to get into the August trivia thread, you can click here.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Sun Sep 06 2009 12:00 AM)

#494647 - Sun Sep 06 2009 09:08 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Whew . I'm leaving Round 1 open for another day, OK? Sorry 'bout my slowness --- it's been a less-than-lovely week at my desk. I'm a bit behind ....

#494648 - Sun Sep 06 2009 12:44 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

August 31 Round – Answers

Various with five fantastic players. Thank you to all five!

1) From its (The Singapore General Hospital) website, please tell me a “Patient Information Pamphlet” available for viewing online, but limit your answer only to those titles that begin with any of the letters in “HOSPITAL”.
For Ten Points: Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (Chinese), Platelets Donation – Your Gift of Life, Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programme, Shortwave Lithotripsy for Urinary Stones, Transrectal Ultrasound-Guidance for Prostate Biopsy
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Too many to list here.

2) Information on traveling by buses, MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) trains or LRT (Light Rail Transit) trains can be found on the TransitLink website. Look for the “Electronic Guide” by “Landmark Enquiry” and tell me a bus, only those with a 3-digit number please, that can take you to the Singapore General Hospital.
For Ten Points: 143, 196
For Five Points: 167 (3)
Not mentioned: 124, 166, 174, 190, 197, 851, 961, 970.
I was informed that there are non-airconditioned public buses in Singapore. I just haven’t seen any.

3) From here, please tell me an area of the body which corresponds to a part of the toes on either foot.
For Ten Points: Nose
For Five Points: Eyes (2), Pituitary (2)
Not mentioned: Brain, Ear, Neck, Parathyroid, Pineal, Sinuses, Throat, Thyroid, Top of head.

4) From the grey-colored box somewhere in the middle of the page with the heading “Mothers confessed to…”, please give me any one of the ‘confessions’ listed.
For Ten Points: Becoming aggressive when justifying why PFB couldn’t crawl claiming his ‘emotional reactions’ were ‘highly developed’, Fitting a stairgate for one small step, Getting stressed if the baby’s bedsheets weren’t in the right position to allow him to see his toy animals, Pulling a pram backwards for 2 miles to avoid ‘a little bit of mild afternoon sun’, Route planning to avoid roads without proper crossings
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Another 8 ‘confessions’ listed on the site. I did wonder if these ‘confessions’ were real. Anyway, they did make for an interesting read.

5) I just read that the Duggars are expecting their 19th child. In the spring! For real! Please name any of the 18 children who are aged 10 and under as of 1 September.
For Ten Points: James Andrew
For Five Points: Johannah Faith (2), Justin Samuel (2)
Not mentioned: Jackson Levi, Jason Michael, Jedidiah Robert, Jennifer Danielle, Jeremiah Robert, Jordyn-Grace Makiya.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Denni Well done Denni!

Other Results:
40 points: Maninmidohio & Gatsby.
35 points: Mugaboo & Szabs.

#494649 - Sun Sep 06 2009 12:50 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'm closing round 2 - Wednesday - tomorrow! Plenty of time for answers!

#494650 - Mon Sep 07 2009 02:53 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 2nd September results
Q1 A film beginning with P
FOR TEN POINTS:
People Of The Wind, Paycheck (2003), Pollyanna, Prom Night IV: Deliver Us from Evil (1992), Paths of Glory (1957),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Peter Pan and more

Q2 A song title beginning with P
FOR TEN POINTS:
Picasso Moon (Grateful Dead),Pick a Pocket or Two (from Oliver), Prom Queen (Little Wayne), "Peace Train" (Cat Stevens), Pain in My Heart (Otis Redding),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Please Mr Postman and more

Q3 A book title beginning with P
FOR TEN POINTS:
Promise of the Wolves (Dorothy Hearst), Paddle Down the Dark River (by John Twelve Hawk), Please Don't Eat the Daisies, "Put a Lid on It" by Donald E Westlake, Paradise County (Karen Robards),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Peril at End House (Agatha Christie) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with P
FOR TEN POINTS:
Patinize, Protract, Primrose, Pilfered, Paradigm,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Plucking and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with P
FOR TEN POINTS:
Polkolbin cheese, Penguin (biscuit), Prune, Pecan pie, Polemo,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Pineapple and more

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs – 50

Well done to all!

#494651 - Mon Sep 07 2009 03:25 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 1 - Tuesday
"Spring Forward"
Five diligent (and I mean diligent, too) participants! Thank you!

1. To begin, please tell me the *first* or *last* name of any of those four men (the characters, not the actors) who embarked on that canoe-ing adventure in Deliverance.

For 10 Points:
Bobby, Drew, Gentry
For 5 Points:
Medlock (2)

Ed Gentry, Lewis Medlock, Bobby Trippe and Drew Ballinger were the names of the four characters.

2. While on 'First Ladies of Arkansas' (which was a station Mrs. Clinton held, pre-White House), though? Tell me one of the first ten ladies given that title after Arkansas became a state (not when it was a territory).

For 10 Points:
Adaline McGraw Clayton, Martha Elizabeth Nash Flanagin, Ernestine Flora Linde Rector
For 5 Points"
Mary Ficklin Yell (2)

Mary Jane Bradley Conway, Catherine A. Adams, Cinderella Drew, Mary Byrd, Angelina Lockert Murphy and Harriet Patton Baxter were the others. And, truly: my endless apologies for that question, folks ....

3. This time, please tell me any sentence from the latest winning essay in that *gotajob.com* contest.

For 10 Points:
But one particular week, we had to work with it. / My boss had me and another guy go around and clean up all the leftover debris from the construction going on in the classroom, which consisted of sweeping up and picking up broken tiles, old insulation, and dusty material. / As we cleaned the rooms filled up with so much dust we could hardly breathe, and we weren't given any type of protective masks, only fans with open windows.
For 5 Points:
Usually the work consists of basic janitorial services, but this summer was different because they were redoing the entire air circulation system in the building so there was construction going on in every room, and we had to work around it. (2)

Six others sentences in that winning essay to pick from. Note: If you ask me (which I know you didn't)? They must not have gotten too many entries in that contest, eh? It wasn't an exactly bad essay, though, I reckon.

4. "A Cup Of Tea And Your Insights". Please tell me a line in that tune that starts with the word *And*, OK?

For 10 Points:
And she's so easy to see; And I can't hold onto her with just my appetite; And sometimes I think that I'm ...
For 5 Points:
And I'm not sure what I should do (2)

The other lines: And it's so easy to be just like you; And I know sometimes my mind's not right; And I started thinking I was beautiful; And gently she said baby that's alright & And she's hard on me.

5. To close, kindly tell me the film's title, the character she played, or the director regarding any movie that Teresa Wright was Oscar-nominated for.

For 10 Points:
Sam Wood (director, The Pride of the Yankees)
For 5 Points:
William Wyler (director, The Little Foxes and Mrs. Miniver) (4)

In The Little Foxes Wright played Alexandra Giddens. In Mrs. Miniver she played Carol Beldon (and won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for that one ). In The Pride of the Yankees she was Eleanor Twitchell.

The Results!

45 Points! .... Mugaboo
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, szabs
35 Points! .... denni19
30 Points! .... maninmidohio

Congrats (and a monthly scoreboard point) to Mugaboo today ! Well done.
And, for the record: I have submitted a (strong) letter to the Arkansas legislature suggesting a new law to be put into effect immediately. Hereafter, governors there should not be allowed to have more than one wife (but they absolutely must have at least one). Also? Said spouses must survive the full term of [or at least a substantial portion of] their husbands AND each must be prominently recorded on the proper Wikipedia page. Good heavens ... these tangled messes of historical records must cease ASAP!
They haven't written back to me yet .....

#494652 - Tue Sep 08 2009 05:55 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

I'm afraid that I shall not be posting Monday (7 Sep)'s round this week. And will be most likely posting Monday's round every other week for the forseeable future. I'm starting a new job and things are expected to be busy for a while.

#494653 - Wed Sep 09 2009 10:46 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 9th September round
Q1. A planet in the solar system
Q2. A letter of the alphabet situated on the top line of a standard type writer/computer. Letters only, no other characters!
Q3. Something that people do in the park
Q4. An instrument in the string section of an orchestra
Q5. A type of clothing

#494654 - Wed Sep 09 2009 01:10 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 4 is closed now, answers will be posted tomorrow morning.

#494655 - Thu Sep 10 2009 05:03 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 4 Answers

We had five wonderful participants in this round.

1. Britain is packed with dog-friendly destinations, what makes a dog-friendly destination? Non-snooty pubs are one factor, as are wild beaches with plenty of sticks and dog-walking trails in abundance. From this site , please tell me a dog friendly destination.

For 10 Points : North Yorkshire coast, North Wales & Snowdonia
For 5 Points : Northumberland (3)
Among Others: Lake Windermere and the Lake District, South Wales and Pembrokeshire, Cornwall & devon.

2. While holidaying in Lake Windermere and the Lake District, we might as well pop in to The Watermill Inn and brewing company, as our friendly pooches are welcome to stay the night and enjoy the creature comforts . On their site , go to “ It’s a dogs life”, from the paragraph It's definitely a Dogs Life at the Watermill! please give me a seven or more letter word.

For 10 Points : Owning, Mountains, District,
For 5 Points : Retiring (2)
Among Others: Welcome, Walking, Morning, Breakfast

3. There’s even a scientific-sounding name for it: cryptozoology, the study of hidden or unknown animals. Obsessive fans of legendary monsters travel the world over to hunt down their legendary prey. From this page please give me one of these legendary animals and their location.

10 Points to all : Bigfoot, (California), Ayia Napa Sea Monster (Cyprus) , Jersey Devil (New Jersey), Chessie (Lake Champlain), Mothman - West Virginia
Among Others: Loch Ness Monster( Scotland), Chupacabra, ( Texas), Montauk Monster, ( N.Y. )

4. When you see a body of water, do you instantly imagine razor-toothed monsters lurking below the surface, ready to take a delectable bite out of your arm or leg? Although sharks can be found all over the world and in many places you wouldn’t expect them to be, from this page please tell me on of the “World's Top Shark Attack Beaches”

For 10 Points : Cocos Island - Costa Rica, Recife – Brazil, Brisbane - Australia
For 5 Points : Tigris River – Iran (2)
Among Others: Hong Kong – China , Kosi Bay - South Africa, New Smyrna Beach - Florida

5. Although grass is usually seen growing on the ground, it doesn’t necessarily have to grow there all the time, actually some very artistic shapes can be made with it. On this page you will see the 10 most amazing grass sculptures, please give me the name of one of these sculptures.

For 10 Points : Elephant, Head in a country houce, Cow
For 5 Points : Spinning Top (2)
Among Others: Formula I car, Giraffes, Cool camels

Scores

We have three winners with a score of 45 points : Denni19, Gatsby722 & Mugaboo
The other two players came in with 35 points: Brandz_mygirl & Maninmidohio

A hearty congratulations goes out to the three winners of this round Denni, Gatsby & Mugaboo , who will receive a trivia point for the month of September. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#494656 - Thu Sep 10 2009 06:13 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 10 - Thursday

1. Pierre Dulaine is a well-known ballroom dancer and dance instructor who developed Dancing Classrooms, a social development program for 5th grade children that uses ballroom dancing as a vehicle to change the lives of the children and their families.
On Pierre's Wikipedia page, please go to "The Dulaine Method philosophy" and from there pick any of the bolded words in the 'subtitles'.

2. In the 2006 movie "Take the Lead" we get acquinted with Pierre Dulaine and his method of teaching. Pierre is portrayed by Antonio Banderas who, in my opinion, does an excellent (and very elegant) job.
From the movie's soundtrack - as listed on IMDb.com - please pick any song that has a two-words title.

3. "La Cumparsita" (which features on the soundtrack of "Take the Lead") is one of the most famous and recognizable tango songs of all time. Originally written by Uruguayan musician Gerardo Matos Rodríguez in 1917, it was later 're-written' by tango lyricists Enrique Maroni and Pascual Contursi and given a diferent title.
From This Page please give me any line/verse from the original lyrics (in English). [It's the shorter song which starts with "The masked parade"]

4. I've recently watched an awesome videoclip where "La Cumparsita" was performed by the Tango Fire Company - Argentina's hottest tango show [and they truly are hot, hot, hot].
From Tango Fire's official website please choose one of the 10 dancers, male or female. (no singers or other musicians, dancers only)

5. Since we're talking about dancing (mostly ) it's impossible for me to not mention Fred and Ginger - a 'term' that still is an almost automatic reference for any successful dance partnership.
With their 33 dances performed in 10 movies, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers revolutionized the Hollywood musical, introducing dance routines of unprecedented elegance and virtuosity, set to songs specially composed for them by the greatest popular song composers of the day.
But we'll now leave dancing and switch to Fred and Ginger's more intimate partnerships.
Please give me the name of any spouse of Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers.

*** This round will be closed on Monday, September 14, at noon FunTrivia time. If you're confused about anything in my questions PM me and we'll sort it out .

I'm hoping you're all having a fine week and are looking forward to a fantastic weekend.

Edited by denni19 (Thu Sep 10 2009 08:19 AM)

#494657 - Thu Sep 10 2009 02:54 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 5 - 6 played

1. Name any officer who was alleged to have taken part in the My Lai Massacre.
For 10 points: Ernest Medina
For 5 points: Frank A. Barker [3]; Eugene Kotouc [2]
Not mentioned: Stephen Brooks; William L. Calley; Oran K. Henderson; Samuel W. Koster

2. Based on the figure two million midges weigh one kilogram, please give me any non-metric unit of weight, along with an estimated number of midges one unit would weigh.
For 10 points: Dram (7800 midges); Pennyweight (3100); Scruple (2600); Short hundredweight (90,700,000)
For 5 points: Pound (907,000 midges) [2]
Not mentioned include: Candareen (760 midges); Batman (5,900,000); Mark (490,000); Oka (2,500,000); Zolotnik (8500)

3. Please tell me a either the highest mountain, tallest waterfall or highest village in either England, Scotland or Wales.
For 10 points: Cauldron Snout (Waterfall, England); Eas a' Chual Aluinn (Waterfall, Scotland); Flash (Village, England); Pistyll Rhaeadr (Waterfall, Wales)
For 5 points: Ben Nevis (Mountain, Scotland) [2]
Not mentioned: Scarfell Pike (Mountain, England); Snowdon (Mountain, Wales); Garn-yr-erw (Village, Wales); Wanlockhead (Village, Scotland)

4. Please name any recurring intelligent alien race, in any of the "Star Trek" series.
For 10 points: Bajoran; Cardassian
For 5 points: Andorian [2]; Betazoid [2]
Not mentioned include: Borg; Ferengi; Klingon; Vulcan

5. Please name any station you would stop at if you went from Iwaki to Koriyama in Japan
For 10 points: Akai; Natsui; Iwaki-Tokiwa; Miharu
For 5 points: Sugaya
Not mentioned: Ogawago; Eda; Kawamae; Ononiimachi; Kanmata; Ogou; Funehiki; Kanameta; Mogi

Scores:

45 points: Brandz_mygirl
40 points: Denni19; Maninmidohio; Szabs
35 points: Physalius
40 points: Gatsby722

Do I hear thunderous applause? Or is that just the noise of a waterfall? Come on everybody, let's raise the roof, with a loud cheer for our winner Brandz.

#494658 - Fri Sep 11 2009 08:11 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 11

In the United States when you talks of the Twin Cities, you are referring to Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. Minneapolis is the largest city in Minnesota while St. Paul is the capital of the state. The cities have very distinct personalities and are great places to visit. This will be the Twin Cities Round.

1. Minneapolis and St. Paul are collectively known as the Twin Cities. Both cities developed independently and a fierce rivalry was soon developed between the two. The Wikipedia article on the Twin Cities highlights some of the early conflicts that developed between the cities. It was only after sporting teams dropped the one or the other city’s name and substituted “Minnesota” that the rivalry tamed down and more of a sense of area identity developed. Please tell me one of the current professional sports teams that incorporates “Minnesota” in its official name.

2. One of the common misconceptions about the Twin Cities is that the Mississippi River provides the border between the two cities with St. Paul on the east bank and Minneapolis on the west bank. But this is far from the truth with both cities located on both sides of the river at different points along the course of the river. For only a short stretch in the Mississippi Gorge area does the river define the boundary between the cities. Using this web site please tell me a bridge in the Mississippi Gorge area and its listed height above water. (Please exclude all locks and dams as well as the Washington Avenue Bridge which we covered in my last round.)

3. Minnehaha Falls is located in a park within Minneapolis. The Falls are the ones that were mentioned in Longfellow’s epic poem “The Song of Hiawatha” which was based on Ojibway Indian legends. One of the most famous passages in the poem begins with the line “By the shores of Gitche Gumee”. Please give me one of the next 9 lines from that poem.

4. From the official web site of the city of St. Paul, Minnesota you can download videos of recent city council meetings. Please tell me the date of one of these meetings in July or August 2009 and the length of the associated video.

5. Although Minneapolis/St. Paul are truly the Twin Cities of the United States. Wikipedia has an article that highlights many other pairing of cities around the world that could be called twin cities. Some of the more interesting ones are those that share the identical name but are divided by some kind of political boundary. Please give me an example that is cited in the Wikipedia article.

This round will end noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, September 16. If you have any problems with any of the questions, just drop me a line. I hope you all have a great weekend.

#494659 - Sun Sep 13 2009 04:32 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Closes Wednesday 9th tomorrow!

#494660 - Mon Sep 14 2009 12:13 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

The 'dancing' Round 10 is now closed. Thanks to all who played . Results will be posted early tomorrow.

#494661 - Mon Sep 14 2009 01:02 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday September 14 – Quiz

Nooooooo! It can’t be! But it is! Today is Monday and I have to come up with some questions. So here is today’s quiz title: Monday.

1) “Monday’s Child” is a nursery rhyme that many of us would have learnt in school or at least have heard of. From here, please give me a word from EITHER the first –or- last line of “Monday’s Child” that has more than 3 letters.

2) Ah, the dreaded Monday blues. We also have the Sunday evening blues, homework blues, housework blues, holiday blues, in fact lots and lots of things to feel blue about. The color blue doesn’t always have negative feelings associated with it. From here, please give me any sentence that comes under the section on “Blue”. The psychology of colors has always interested me.

3) To beat the Monday blues, some recommend listening to loud upbeat music. Associated Content has a list of “Songs about Mondays” that “will enlighten your mood or songs that relate to the Monday blues.” Please give me EITHER a song title from the list –or- the singer/group associated with fhe song.

4) Easter Monday, celebrated as a holiday in some parts of the world. Unfortunately, I do not live in those parts. From Wikipedia, please give me a country that has Easter Monday as an official holiday, limiting your choices only to those countries whose names being with any one of the following letters M-O-N-D-A-Y. Please select your answers only from the “Official Holiday” section.

5) Please give me any word (NO proper nouns please) that begins with the letters M-O-N.

This round will close on Sunday 20 September at noon FT time. Gentle Monday wishes to one and all.

#494662 - Mon Sep 14 2009 01:05 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 9th September round results
Q1. A planet in the solar system
FOR TEN POINTS:
Mercury, Saturn, Neptune,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Venus (3),
NOT MENTIONED:
Mars and more

Q2. A letter of the alphabet situated on the top line of a standard type writer/computer. Letters only, no other characters!
FOR TEN POINTS:
Q, U, R,Y,O, I,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
W and more

Q3. Something that people do in the park
FOR TEN POINTS:
Eat, People watch, Walk the dog, Bicycle, Feed the squirrels, Nap,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Play Frisbee and more

Q4. An instrument in the string section of an orchestra
FOR TEN POINTS:
Viola, Harp, Double bass, Bass, Zither, Violetta,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Cello and more

Q5. A type of clothing
FOR TEN POINTS:
Skirt, Leggings, Hat, Sweater, Shorts, Garter Belt,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Dress and more

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs – 50
Gatsby – 45
Maninmidohio – 45
Physalius - 45

Well done to Brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo and Szabs

#494663 - Tue Sep 15 2009 04:55 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 10 – Thursday – The Dancing round

6 wonderful players for this one - Thank you all very very much for such a warm ‘welcome back’ !

1. On Pierre Dulaine's Wikipedia page, please go to "The Dulaine Method philosophy" and from there pick any of the bolded words in the 'subtitles'.

10 points: Creating, Joy, Verbal, Humour

5 points: Command [2]

Not mentioned: Respect, Compassion, Present, Safe, Control and a few more.

2. “Take the Lead” (2006) - From the movie's soundtrack - as listed on IMDb.com - please pick any song that has a two-words title.

10 points ALL: "Tango Mujer", "Looky, Looky", "La Cumparsita", "Moon River", "These Days", "Chop Chop"

3. “La Cumparsita” - From This Page please give me any line/verse from the original lyrics (in English).

10 points: Around that sick being, That’s why, Promenades.

5 points: Remembering the past [3]

Not mentioned: The masked parade, Of endless miseries, That soon will die, Of sorrow, In its bed, Cries mournfully, That makes it suffer

4. From Tango Fire's official website please choose one of the 10 dancers, male or female.

10 points ALL: Mauricio Celis, Nelson Celis, Ines Cuesta, Juan Milizia, Victoria Saudelli, Sebastian Alvarez

5. Please give me the name of any spouse of Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers.

10 points: William Marshall, Phyllis Livingston Potter, Jacques Bergerac, Jack Pepper

5 points: Robyn Smith [2]

Not mentioned: Lew Ayres, Jack Briggs

The RESULTS for Round 10 are:

With 50 points: Brandz_mygirl

With 45 points: Szabz, Gatsby and Maninmidohio

With 40 points: Physalius and Mugaboo

Congratulations to Brandz for a perfect score and for grabbing one fine September point .

Edited by denni19 (Tue Sep 15 2009 04:56 AM)

#494664 - Tue Sep 15 2009 11:25 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 11, the Twin Cities Round, will close in approximately 24 hours. Plenty of time to get in your entry. Both veterans and new players welcomed to play.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002