Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#494665 - Tue Sep 15 2009 04:43 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 15 ~ Tuesday

Argh . This is the (finally ready) Round I was working on for last week. Sorry. At any rate, it is themed by a new show over here about a thrown-together high school glee club that, against all variety of not-so-good odds, perseveres. Lotta heart to the show! And the musical numbers are pretty cool, too.

1. The students we've met (so far) on the show are a pretty stereotypical mix --- but each shows signs (thanks to good writing) of being able to flesh out nicely as the episodes progress. We've got the "peer pressure"-addled jock, the large and sassy diva, the guy in a wheelchair, the 'outsider' girl (who sings like an angel), the persnickety gay fellow, etc. All *pat generalizations*, I suppose, at first glance. But when they join together and sing a song? It's pretty awesome, indeed. Anyway, to start please tell me the (character) name of any of the students in "Glee". Wikipedia has a helpful page on that one, but I'm sure that other sources exist.

2. The most potent, and rather comical, conflict in the show comes with the rivalry between the idealistic, complicated Spanish teacher who is in charge of the choir -- played by Broadway song-and-dance man, in real life, Matthew Morrison -- and the head coach of the cheerleading squad (played by the deliciously wicked Jane Lynch). Why she hates the Glee Club so much is anyone's guess ... but she tries to ruin it at every opportunity. Naturally, she always fails and the "good guys" typically prevail. But it's great fun to watch Ms. Lynch act up every chance she's given ~ one would expect her to go flying back to the castle at any moment complete with flying monkeys and green face paint! This time, kindly tell me a cheerleading jump (NO 'stunts') that is listed on [that always handy] Wikipedia's website.

3. The program stands a very good chance at success, for several reasons. First, the buzz on it has been excellent since they aired the pilot episode last Spring. The audience has had weeks to look forward to its "official" debut. Second, it's the sort of show that can appeal to everybody in the families watching it. And, third, it's the brain child of some of those behind the wildly successful series "Nip/Tuck" on the F/X channel. That program is crazy well-written, smart and (unlike "Glee") aimed towards 'adults only', as it follows the adventures of two plastic surgeons. Not counting shows scheduled to come, please tell me any episode of "Nip/Tuck" that has aired for the first time in 2009.

4. The first indication that this Breakfast Club-like group of varying-in-degrees high school students could really sing together came when they harmonized on a (very nicely done) version of the classic rock-n-roll tune "Don't Stop Believin'", by the band Journey. It gave them all a chance to shine AND seemed to give the program a *theme song*, of sorts. We pretty much know that, as this thing goes, those youngsters will overcome all adolescent odds, weekly, and come back at the end of it with a bang-up performance. Which, I reckon, means that "all is well, after all .."?. Aside from "Don't Stop Believin'", I'd like to know another song that was on the 1981 album (by Journey) that it first showed up on.

5. The Harvard Glee Club is a 60-voice, all-male choral ensemble at Harvard University. Founded in 1858 in the tradition of English and American glee clubs, it is the oldest collegiate chorus in the United States. The Club was quite a fixture of the Boston music scene for years, performing frequently with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and other ensembles, but this local prominence has lessened in recent years. Will a mere TV show such as "Glee" perhaps rejuvenate mass interest in glee clubs? Sranger things have happened. It'd be great to hear more from the lads at Harvard (P.S. ... volume up when you go over and visit their website ). To close, please tell me a Tenor I in the current glee club at Harvard. Thank you!

This one'll close up on Sunday afternoon! See you then, yes?

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Sep 24 2009 12:00 AM)

#494666 - Wed Sep 16 2009 10:49 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 16th September round
Yesterday – September 15th – was the birthday of Agatha Christie. So today is an Agatha Christie round!

Q1 – Name me a Miss Marple full length novel – not a short story!
Q2 – Name me a Hercule Poirot full length novel – not a short story!
Q3 - Tuppence and Tommy Beresford were a married couple who were also detectives. Name me a Tommy and Tuppence short story – not a full length novel – from “Partners in Crime”
Q4- Mr Harley Quin was a mysterious creation by Agatha. Name me a Harley Quin short story from “The Mysterious Mr Quin” (twelve to choose from)
Q5 – Mr Parker Pyne dealt with “affairs of the heart”. Name me a Parker Pyne short story from “Parker Pyne Investigates” (twelve to choose from)

This round closes on Monday!

#494667 - Wed Sep 16 2009 12:41 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 11 – Results

Seven determined web searchers submitted answers for Round 11, the Twin Cities Round. Thanks to all for participating.

1. Please tell me one of the current professional sports teams that incorporates “Minnesota” in its official name.

For 10 Points:
Minnesota Twins, Minnesota Lynx, and Minnesota Wild
For 5 points: Minnesota Vikings (2) and Minnesota Timberwolves (2)
Not Chosen: Minnesota Thunder and Minnesota Swarm

2. Using this web site please tell me a bridge in the Mississippi Gorge area and its listed height above water.

For 10 Points:
F. W. Cappelen Memorial Bridge – 55’, Fort Road Bridge – 88’, and Fort Snelling Bridge (Old) – 80’
For 5 Points: Lake Street Bridge – 66’ (2) and Intercity Bridge – 55’ (2)
Not Chosen: Dartmouth Bridge (I-94) – 64’, East River Falls Catwalk – 12’, and Short Line Bridge – 134’

3. One of the most famous passages in “The Song of Hiawatha” begins with the line “By the shores of Gitche Gumee”. Please give me one of the next 9 lines from that poem.

Longfellow threw me a bit of a curve with this one by repeating the selected line much later in the poem in a section called “Hiawatha’s Departure”. The passage I wanted was at the beginning of the poem. But since both sections are in the poem the nine following lines from both sections were accepted as answers. Both sections are repeated here with chosen lines shown in bold.

By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.
Dark behind it rose the forest

Rose the black and gloomy pine-trees,
Rose the firs with cones upon them;
Bright before it beat the water,
Beat the clear and sunny water,
Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water.

By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
At the doorway of his wigwam,
In the pleasant Summer morning,
Hiawatha stood and waited.
All the air was full of freshness,
All the earth was bright and joyous,
And before him, through the sunshine, (2)
Westward toward the neighboring forest
Passed in golden swarms the Ahmo,

4. Please tell me the date of one of the meetings of the St. Paul City Council in July or August 2009 and the length of the associated video available on the official web site of St Paul, Minnesota.

For 10 Points:
7/1/09 – 1 hr 48 m, 7/8/09 – 15 m, 8/5/09 - 1 h 38 m, 8/12/09 – 34 m, and 8/26/09 – 18 m
For 5 Points: 7/22/09 – 40 m (2)
Not Chosen: 7/15/09 – 2 h 40 m and 8/19/09 – 2 h 20 m

5. Some of the more interesting Twin Cities are those that share the identical name but are divided by some kind of political boundary. Please give me an example that is cited in the Wikipedia article on Twin Cities.

For 10 Points:
Delmar, DE and Delmar, MD; Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO; Bristol, VA and Bristol, TN, and Nogales, AZ and Nogales, Sonora
For 5 Points: Sault Ste. Marie, MI and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (3)
Not Chosen: Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls, Ontario; Bluefield, VA and Bluefield, WV; and Texarkana, TX and Texarkana, AR

The Results:

With 45 Points: PDAZ, Gatsby722, and brandz_mygirl
With 40 Points: physalias
With 35 Points: Mugaboo and szabs
With 30 Points: denni19

It truly was a hard fought battle but coming in triumphant is that great trio of PDAZ, Gatsby722, and brandz_mygirl. Congratulations all and to each will go a coveted September Fun Trivia Points. Join me again next week for my tribute to the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

#494668 - Thu Sep 17 2009 06:40 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 17 - Thursday

Well...let's see about the importance of September 17th.

1. On this date, in 1630, the city of Boston, Massachusetts was founded. Now I don't know if they started using their accent right from the start .
The "Boston accent" drops the "r" sound at the end of syllables unless the next syllable starts with a vowel and traditionally uses a "broad a" in certain words. It is widely parodied in the U.S. as the speech of the Kennedys and Harvard graduates.
From the Wikipedia page for Boston accent, please give me a well-known speaker of/with the Boston accent whose surname begins with "C" or "D".

2. In 1939, on September 17, Taisto Mäki becomes the first man to run the 10,000 metres in under 30 minutes, in a time of 29:52.6. He is one of the so-called "Flying Finns", along with other remarkable runners - Hannes Kolehmainen, Paavo Nurmi, Ville Ritola, Volmari Iso-Hollo and Lasse Viren.
From HERE please give me the name of an 'All-time top 25' male athlete whose time *resembles* Taisto Mäki's - times that are in the format xx:52.yy OR xx:yy.6z (there are 7 possible answers)

3. Robert Graysmith was born on September 17, 1942. He is best-known for his writings on the Zodiac Killer case with which he became involved when he was a cartoonist for the "San Francisco Chronicle". Graysmith blames the Zodiac murders on Arthur Leigh Allen, a prime suspect in the "Zodiac murders", who was never charged. The case remains one of San Francisco's most infamous unsolved crimes.
Luckily for us, many other serial killers were arrested and convicted for their horrible crimes.
Please give me the name of a serial killer who was charged for more than 50 proven victims.

4. On Sept. 17, 1859, the San Francisco Bulletin published a notice announcing that Joshua Norton, formerly a prominent San Francisco businessman, had proclaimed himself Norton I, "Emperor of these United States." He had acted, he said, "at the peremptory request of a large majority of the citizens."
On This Page, on the left-hand menu, there's a list of the Emperor's proclamations. Please give me any *title* that starts with "He Calls..." OR "He Demands..."

5. Vanessa Williams made history on September 17, 1983 when she became the first woman of African American descent to be crowned Miss America. Her reign as Miss America came to an abrupt end when a scandal led to her resignation of the title. After spending some time out of the spotlights she launched a prolific career as a singer and actress.
Please have your pick of a studio or compilation album recorded by Vanessa Williams.

Round 17 closes on Monday (September 21st) - around noon, FT time. Any dilemma you might encounter while dealing with my questions, will be resolved as soon as you message me about it.

Edited by denni19 (Thu Sep 24 2009 05:06 AM)

#494669 - Sat Sep 19 2009 02:53 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 18 Friday

Barcelona is the capital city of the Autonomous Community of Catalonia and the second largest city in Spain. Founded as a Roman city, it became one of the most important cities of the Crown of Aragon. Besieged several times during its history, Barcelona is today an important cultural centre and has a rich cultural heritage. Particularly renowned are architectural works of Antoni Gaudí and Lluís Domènech i Montaner that have been designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

1. The city of Barcelona is presently divided into 10 districts, after a reorganization in 1984 . Please give me the name of one of the present districs of Barcelona.

2. Joan Miró was a Spanish Catalan painter, sculptor, and ceramist born in Barcelona. Earning international acclaim, his work has been interpreted as Surrealism, a re-creation of the childlike, and a manifestation of Catalan pride. Miró’s style was influenced in varying degrees by Surrealism and Dada. André Breton, the founder of Surrealism, described him as "the most Surrealist of us all." The Joan Miró Foundation is a museum in Barcelona honoring Joan Miró . From the official museum web page, go to the “Works by Joan Miro” section and give me the title and year of a painting made by Miró.

3. Antoni Gaudí, was a Spanish Catalan architect who belonged to the Modernist style (Art Nouveau) movement and was famous for his unique and highly individualistic designs. Gaudí's first works were designed in the style of gothic architecture and traditional Catalan architectural modes, but he soon developed his own distinct sculptural style. Some of his greatest works, most notably La Sagrada Família, have an almost hallucinatory power. Please give me the name of one of the famous Gaudi buildings not including the Sagrada Familia.

4. The construction of the expiatory church of La Sagrada Família began on the 19 March 1882 from a project by architect Francisco de Paula del Villar, at the end of 1883 Villar resigned and Gaudí was commissioned to carry on the works. Gaudi completely redesigned the project and continued with the task until his death in 1926. Every part of the design is rich with Christian symbolism, as Gaudí intended the church to be the "last great sanctuary of Christendom". Its most striking aspect is its spindle-shaped towers. A total of 18 tall towers are called for, representing in ascending order of height the Twelve Apostles, the four Evangelists, the Virgin Mary and, tallest of all, Jesus Christ. Works on this masterpiece continue and it is hoped that it will be finished in 2026 which is the 100th anniversary of Gaudi’s death. From the Sagrada Famila site , go to Symbology – Structural, and give me one of the ten areas mentioned on that page.

5. To finish this round off I might as well mention Futbol Club Barcelona, known familiarly as Barca, the club's stadium is the Camp Nou, the largest stadium in Europe with a capacity of 98,772 seats, statistics say that they have 44.2 million fans around the world. Although I am an avid Real Madrid fan, I must humbly give credit to Barca, for being one of the best and strongest teams in the world, they have won innumerable national and international titles. As of July 1, 2009, FC Barcelona where ranked first in UEFA team ranking. According to the International Federation of Football History and Statistics, Barça has been the most consistently successful club in the world. Please give me the name of one of the FC Barcelona players that are on the quad for 2009/10.

This round will end on Thurdsay 24th, if you have any queries or need any help just pm me. Have a great weekend in the meantime.

#494670 - Sat Sep 19 2009 02:54 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

Wednesday 16th September round
Yesterday – September 15th – was the birthday of Agatha Christie. So today is an Agatha Christie round!

Q3 - Tuppence and Tommy Beresford were a married couple who were also detectives. Name me a Tommy and Tuppence short story – not a full length novel – from “Partners in Crime”
Q4- Mr Harley Quin was a mysterious creation by Agatha. Name me a Harley Quin short story from “The Mysterious Mr Quin” (twelve to choose from)
Q5 – Mr Parker Pyne dealt with “affairs of the heart”. Name me a Parker Pyne short story from “Parker Pyne Investigates” (twelve to choose from)

My in-box has been rather empty so here are some links

Question 1
Question 2
Question 3
Question 4
Question 5

#494671 - Sat Sep 19 2009 04:17 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 19 - Saturday 19th September

Today I take you to five places in Northern Ireland, with at least some Scottish connection.

1. The shortest crossing between Scotland and Ireland is from Portpatrick and Donaghadee in County Down. Donaghadee is popular for its various seafood restaurants, Here you will find the oldest Pub in Northern Ireland (Not the oldest in all of Ireland as it's website claims - that's held be Sean's Bar in Athlone). Please tell be any seafood that is served at Grace Neill's in Donaghadee.

2. There are many places that claim to be where Robert the Bruce was inspired by a spider to never give up over his fight against the English. This is only a story, penned by Sir Walter Scott, with no historical evidence at all. Most people think that the cave was on Rathlin Island, which is 3 miles from Northern Ireland and 16 from the Mull of Kintyre. According to the RSPB website, please give me any sea bird you might see on Rathlin Island.

3. Our next question takes us to county Londonderry - Springhill House. This was built by the Conyngham family, who came from Ayrshire in Scotland. They were "planted" there to keep down the rebellious Irish. The house has a fine collection of historic costumes, but it also has it's ghost. From this page please give the any word immediately following on from "Mrs X".

4. Enniskillen Castle was one place that fell to those "planters" from England/Scotland in 1594, at the beginning of the Nine years war. Other than Captain Dowdall's attack mentioned, please give me any other "Attack" on Enniskillen Castle.

5. Now we'll go to the Giant's Causeway. Legend has it that Finn McCool built the causeway across the sea to Scotland, so that his rival (Benandonner) could reach him on dry ground and could do battle with him. However Finn's Wife (Oonagh) knew Finn would be beaten, so she dressed up Finn as a baby. The Scottish giant was terrified, if this was merely a baby, what would daddy be like. So he fled back to Scotland, ripping up the causeway behind him, leaving only the two ends in Antrim and Staffa. Please give me any other example of columnar basalts anywhere in the world.

As always, this round will close on Thursday (noon FT time) without any prior warning being given.

#494672 - Sat Sep 19 2009 10:47 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 hours to go for Tuesday's Glee-ful Round, all ye happy singers!

#494673 - Sun Sep 20 2009 12:55 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
And there's another 8 hours to go for Round 14!

If you've sent in your replies but haven't heard from me yet, don't worry, I'm just late with the acknowledgements. Will get around to them before the round closes (hopefully).

#494674 - Sun Sep 20 2009 11:35 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Looks like I'll be leaving Round 15 open for an extra day. I'm waiting on a correction ...

#494675 - Sun Sep 20 2009 02:42 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

My in-box filled up - but room for more - and round 16 closes tomorrow!

#494676 - Sun Sep 20 2009 09:20 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
September 14 Round – Answers

Thank you to the six wonderful players for Monday.

1) From here, please give me a word from EITHER the first –or- last line of “Monday’s Child” that has more than 3 letters.
For Ten Points: Good, Mondays
For Five Points: Bonny (2), Face (2)
Not mentioned: Blithe, Child, Fair.

2) From here, please give me any sentence that comes under the section on “Blue”.
For Ten Points:
- People are more productive in blue rooms
- The color of the sky and the ocean, blue is one of the most popular colors
For Five Points:
- Fashion consultants recommend wearing blue to job interviews because it symbolizes loyalty (2)
- Studies show weightlifters are able to handle heavier weights in blue gyms (2)
Not mentioned:
- Blue can also be cold and depressing
- It causes the opposite reaction as red
- Peaceful, tranquil blue causes the body to produce calming chemicals, so it is often used in bedrooms.

3) To beat the Monday blues, some recommend listening to loud upbeat music. Associated Content has a list of “Songs about Mondays” that “will enlighten your mood or songs that relate to the Monday blues.” Please give me EITHER a song title from the list –or- the singer/group associated with fhe song.
For Ten Points: Call It A Stormy Monday, Monday Monday, T-Bone Walker
For Five Points: The Mamas and the Papas (3)
Not mentioned: Bangles, DJ Shadow, Manic Monday, No Bad News, Patty Griffin, Six Days.

4) From Wikipedia, please give me a country that has Easter Monday as an official holiday, limiting your choices only to those countries whose names begin with any one of the following letters M-O-N-D-A-Y.
For Ten Points: Aruba, Malawi, Montserrat, Niger
For Five Points: Norway (2)
Not mentioned: I counted 27 possible answers for this question.

5) Please give me any word (NO proper nouns please) that begins with the letters M-O-N.
For Ten Points: Monism, Monologues, Monotone, Montage
For Five Points: Monument (2)
Not mentioned: Monarchy, Money, Mongrel, Monk, Monotype, Monsoon, Monster, Month and many more

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Szabs & Gatsby Well done to our 2 winners!

Other Results:
40 points: Maninmidohio
35 points: Physalius & Mugaboo
25 points: Denni

#494677 - Mon Sep 21 2009 09:35 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 15 - Tuesday
"Glee"
Six outstanding players !

1. Anyway, to start please tell me the (character) name of any of the students in "Glee".

For 10 Points:
Artie Abrams, Rachel Berry, Tina Cohen-Chang, Kurt Hummel, Mercedes Jones, Noah "Puck" Puckerman
For 5 Points:
None! --- Well done!

Finn Hudson and Quinn Fabray are the other two (so far).

2. This time, kindly tell me a cheerleading jump (NO 'stunts') that is listed on [that always handy] Wikipedia's website.

For 10 Points:
Tuck
For 5 Points:
Double Hook (3), Double Nine (2)

Other correct answers: X Jump/Spread Eagle, Pencil/T Jump, Toe-Touch, Hurdler, Pike, Around the World, Herkie, Double Jump and Power Jump.

3. Not counting shows scheduled to come, please tell me any episode of "Nip/Tuck" that has aired for the first time in 2009.

For 10 Points:
Allegra Calderello, Ronnie Chase, Roxy St. James, Budi Sabri, Manny Skerritt
For Five Points:
None!

"Gene Shelley", "Ricky Wells" and "Giselle Blaylock & Legend Chandler" round out the options on that one. One answer submitted was incorrect (it was an episode from 2007).

4. Aside from "Don't Stop Believin'", I'd like to know another song that was on the 1981 album (by Journey) that it first showed up on.

For 10 Points:
Dead or Alive; Keep on Runnin'; Mother, Father; Who's Crying Now?
For 5 Points:
La Raza del Sol (2)

"Stone in Love", "Still They Ride", "Escape", "Lay It Down" and "Open Arms" were on the Escape album, too.

5. To close, please tell me a Tenor I in the current glee club at Harvard. Thank you!

For 10 Points:
Christian Ronald, Patrick Wicker
For 5 Points:
Kevin Leong (2), Matthew Tufano (2)

Over a dozen more tenors to pick from. Pretty cool music on that *Harvard* site, too, wasn't it ?

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19 and Mugaboo
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
35 Points! .... maninmidohio, physalius and szabs

Thank you all veddy much for playing ~ and *Congrats!* to both denni19 and Mugaboo for topping the board this time!

#494678 - Mon Sep 21 2009 12:15 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 17 (Thursday) is now closed and the results will be posted sometime tomorrow.

Thank you to all who participated and apologies for not replying to each and everyone of you.

#494679 - Mon Sep 21 2009 01:45 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 16th September results

FOR TEN POINTS:
A Murder is announced, Caribbean Mystery, At Bertram’s Hotel, They do it with Mirrors, Sleeping Murder: Miss Marple's Last Case,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Murder at the Vicarage and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
Death on the Nile, The Clocks, Cards on the Table,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Death in the Clouds (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
The Mysterious Affair at Styles and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
The Ambassador's Boots, The Clergyman's Daughter / The Red House (a 2 part story), The Sunningdale Mystery,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
The House of the Lurking Death (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
The man who was Number Sixteen and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
The Soul of the Croupier, The Shadow on the Glass, The Dead Harlequin, At the Bells and Motley, Harlequin’s Lane,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
The voice in the dark and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
The Case of the Rich Woman, The Oracle at Delphi, The Pearl of Price,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
The Case of the Distressed Lady (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Have you got everything you want? and more

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Mugaboo – 45
Szabs – 45
Gatsby - 40
Maninmidohio - 40

Well done to Brandz_mygirl!

#494680 - Tue Sep 22 2009 06:47 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 22 ~ Tuesday

1. "Middlemarch: A Study of Provincial Life" is a novel by George Eliot, the pen name of Mary Anne Evans. It was her seventh novel, begun in 1869 and then put aside during the final illness of her partner George Henry Lewes's son. During the following year Eliot resumed work, fusing together several stories into an organized plot and the novel appeared in serialized form in 1871-72 (in eight parts --- much like one less life than a cat is assigned, perhaps?) . The first one-volume edition was published in 1874, and attracted large sales. The novel is set in the fictitious Midlands town of Middlemarch during the period 1830–32 and its main characters are an idealistic, proud, passionate, and talented but naive young doctor of good birth but small financial means -and- an intelligent, wealthy young woman who aspires to do great work, but avoids signs of wealth in the form of jewels or fancy clothes ~ instead she embarks upon projects such as refurbishing cottages for the tenants of her mean ol' miserly uncle. To start, please tell me a consonant in the name of either one of those two characters as they appear in "Middlemarch".

2. George Eliot (1819-1890) was rather prolific in her writings and ultimately became one of the leading writers of the Victorian era. Her novels, largely set in provincial England, are well known for their realism and insight into the human condition. As is well recorded, she used a male pen name to ensure that her works were taken seriously. Eliot wanted no business being seen as merely a writer of romances. An additional factor may have been a desire to shield her private life from public scrutiny and to prevent scandal re: her relationship with the married George Henry Lewes, o' course. Such things were frowned on (rabidly) back then. Have a look at the Gutenberg website - and, no, I'll not ask you to read any books over there this time. Simply tell me any literary work listed on that site by George Eliot/Mary Anne Evans that can be read there (excluding "Middlemarch", o' course). Any genre is fine.

3. I wasn't aware of it, but a new screen version of the novel is in the works. There have already been two productions produced by the BBC - released in 1968 and 1994 - but Oscar-winning director Sam Mendes (American Beauty) has recently secured the rights to the massive 800-page novel, and the parade of characters in it. Making the film will take some mighty time ~ it will be crazy expensive and a probable headache, times ten, to write. The novel has many interwoven stories in it, so making something cohesive to fit the length of a feature film will be a daunting challenge. While no cast has been announced yet, wouldn't it be outstanding if Mendes chose his lovely and talented wife, Kate Winslet, to play that benevolent and determined daughter mentioned above ? Stay tuned. Anyway, I'd like to know any feature film (no TV or stage work) that Sam Mendes either directed or had a hand in producing. Nothing *in development*, please ...

4. [As per Wikipedia] ... "Middlemarch" has a multiple plot with a large cast of characters, and in addition to its distinct though interlocking narratives it pursues a number of underlying themes, including the status of women, the nature of marriage, idealism and self-interest, religion and hypocrisy, political reform, and education. The pace is leisurely, the tone is mildly didactic (with an authorial voice that occasionally bursts through the narrative), and the canvas is very broad. Through the voices and opinions of different characters we become aware of various broad issues of the day – the Great Reform Bill, the beginnings of the railways, the death of King George IV and the succession of his brother, the Duke of Clarence. We learn something of the state of contemporary medical science. We also encounter the deeply reactionary mindset within a settled community facing the prospect of what to many is unwelcome change ... So, tell me --- what's a 9-letter word in the first paragraph of the text of The Reform Act of 1832 (hint: it starts with 'Whereas it is ...'). Also, please don't include any names of the various boroughs mentioned in it.

5. As some may know already, I was adopted by a (gentle, beautiful, personality-ridden) kitty cat that I named, what else?, Middlemarch last month . He's a wee rascal, and a welcome addition to the homestead over here. Well, most of the time, let's say. Last week I had a problem with my toilet so I had to use (for the very first time, I might add) the property's maintenance man to come and fix it. He showed up, all happy and polite, and when he came in he reached over to pet what he called my "beautiful kitty". Ye Gods! Mr. Middlemarch went 100% ballistic on the ususpecting custodian ! Hisses, and furr flying, and his tail bushing out to the size of a small house! Luckily (?) the only one left scratched and bloody was me ... but that repairman couldn't get out of here fast enough, let me tell ya! He did fix the broken toilet before his speedy exit, though. So to close, please have a look here and tell me one of the *parts* that is labelled on the diagram ...

This will close on Sunday evening, OK? P.S. -- I didn't check too well for typos and/or other miscellaneous *oopses*. If anything looks confusing, don't hesitate to write to me and I'll clarify it ASAP ! Have a fun rest-of-week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Sep 24 2009 12:17 AM)

#494681 - Wed Sep 23 2009 05:37 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 23rd September round
Q1 A film beginning with Q
Q2 A song title beginning with Q
Q3 A book title beginning with Q
Q4 An eight letter word beginning with Q
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with Q

#494682 - Thu Sep 24 2009 04:42 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Apologies for the delay

ROUND 17 – Thursday – RESULTS

5 players kindly sent their answers for this one - Thank you very much all!

1. From the Wikipedia page for Boston accent, please give me a well-known speaker of/with the Boston accent whose surname begins with "C" or "D".

10 points: Bill Delahunt, Matt Damon, Michael Chiklis

5 points: Chick Corea [2]

Not mentioned: John Cazale, Andrew Card, Rick DiPietro, Roger Cook, Lenny Clarke

2. From HERE please give me the name of an 'All-time top 25' male athlete whose time *resembles* Taisto Mäki's - times that are in the format xx:52.yy OR xx:yy.6z

10 points ALL: Gebre-egziabher Gebremariam, Mohammed Mourhit, Micah Kogo, Sileshi Sihine, Albert Chepkurui

3. Please give me the name of a serial killer who was charged for more than 50 proven victims.

10 points: Luis Garavito

5 points: Miyuki Ishikawa [2], Dr Harold Shipman [2]

Not mentioned: Andrei Chikatilo, Pedro Rodrigues Filho, Thug Behram, Gilles de Rais, Giuseppe Greco and some others

4. On This Page, on the left-hand menu, there's a list of Emperor Norton I proclamations. Please give me any *title* that starts with "He Calls..." OR "He Demands..."

10 points ALL: He Calls Out the Army, He Calls for Assistance to New Emigrants , He Calls for a Bridge

5 points: He Calls for A Bridge (Yet Again) [2]

Not mentioned: He Calls for Religious Unity, He Demands Rooms at the Grand Hotel, He Demands Suitable Attire, He Calls for A Bridge (Again) and a few more

5. Please have your pick of a studio or compilation album recorded by Vanessa Williams.

10 points: "Star Bright", "Greatest Hits: The First Ten Years", "Silver & Gold"

5 points: "Next" [2]

Not mentioned: "The Right Stuff ", "The Comfort Zone", "The Sweetest Days", " Everlasting Love", "The Real Thing", "Love Songs"

The RESULTS for Round 17 are:

With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl and Mugaboo

With 40 points: Maninmidohio

With 35 points: Szabs and Gatsby

Well done to Brandz_mygirl and Mugaboo for making it to the top this time and for adding one monthly point to their collection .

Edited by denni19 (Thu Sep 24 2009 04:43 AM)

#494683 - Thu Sep 24 2009 05:06 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 18 will be closing in about 4 hours

Edited by szabs (Thu Sep 24 2009 05:07 AM)

#494684 - Thu Sep 24 2009 11:10 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 19 - 5 played

1. Please tell be any seafood that is served at Grace Neill's in Donaghadee.
For 10 points: Char-grilled Swordfish; Fresh Gourmet Scampi; Seabass Fillets; Seafood Risotto; Steamed & Smokes Salmon Fillets
For 5 points: (none)
Others you could have had: Anchovy; Crab; Haddock; Mussels; Plaice; Prawns; Sea Bream; Scallops; Turbot

2. According to the RSPB website, please give me any sea bird you might see on Rathlin Island.
For 10 points: Corncrake; Guillemot; Puffin
For 5 points: Kittiwake [2]
Not mentioned include: Fulmar; Razorbill; Gannet; Shag; Snipe; Lapwing; Stonechat

3. From this page please give the any word immediately following on from "Mrs X".
For 10 points: By; Got; Had; Has; Put
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Throughout; told; came; looked; and; herself; was; reported; tells

4. Other than Captain Dowdall's attack, please give me any other "Attack" on Enniskillen Castle.
For 10 points: 1508 - Hugh O' Donnell returns and burns castle to the ground; 1602 - Cuchonnacht raised the castle to prevent English using it as a base; 1602 - Niall Garbh O'Donnell and a force of English complete the destruction of the castle
For 5 points: 1538 - Castle destroyed again this time by O'Neill with a party of English and ordnance. [2]
Not mentioned: 1508 - Hugh O'Donnell attacks with a fleet of boats - takes the castle from Rory Maguire and gives it to Philip Maguire; 1595 - In the month of May the castle is besieged and taken back by Maguire; 1595 - In the month of September, besieged by the English under Sir William Russell; 1596 - Maguire recaptures castle

5. Please give me an example of columnar basalts anywhere in the world.
For 10 points: Narooma Basalt (Australia); Organ Pipes National Park (Australia); Thunderstruck Rocks (Romania)
For 5 points: Cape Stolbchaty (Russia)[2]
Not mentioned include: Borgarvirki (Iceland); Garni Gorge (Armenia); Moses Coulee (USA)

Scores:

50 points: Denni19
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722
40 points: Maninmidohio; Szabs

A flawless round gives Denni19 the round's point. Hooray.

#494685 - Thu Sep 24 2009 12:45 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 24 - Thursday

1 - Action by Churches Together (ACT) International is a global alliance of Protestant and Orthodox churches and related agencies working to save lives and support communities in emergencies worldwide.
From ACT International's official website, please pick a member country from the "Asia & Pacific" list.

2 - The IATA airport code for Waco Regional Airport, in Waco, Texas, is ACT.
Please find me another airport in Texas, with a IATA code starting with "A".

3 - An ACT is a division or unit of a play/drama. The number of acts in a production can range from one to five and the length of time for an act to be performed can range from 30 to 90 minutes.
Please give me the title of a one-act play written by Tennessee Williams in the 1950s.

4 - The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) is the capital territory of the Commonwealth of Australia and its smallest self-governing internal territory. The oldest standing bridge in the ACT is Tharwa Bridge. Built in 1895 it was entered in the ACT Heritage Register in 1998.
From HERE please choose any other Tharwa entry in the ACT Heritage Register.

5 - Please give me any word (in English ) that ends in "ACT".

Round 24 will stay open 'til Monday, September 28, FT noon. If you need assistance with my questions, please don't hesitate to drop a note.

#494686 - Fri Sep 25 2009 05:57 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 18 Friday Answers

Six fabulous players travelled through the web to the wonderful city of Barcelona.

1. The city of Barcelona is presently divided into 10 districts, after a reorganization in 1984 . Please give me the name of one of the present districs of Barcelona.

For 10 Points : Sants-Montjuic, Eixample, Horta-Guinardó, Les Corts
For 5 Points : Nou Barris
Among others: Ciutat Vella, Sant Andreu

2. Joan Miró was a Spanish Catalan painter, sculptor, and ceramist born in Barcelona. Joan Miró Foundation is a museum in Barcelona honoring Joan Miró . From the official museum web page, go to the “Works by Joan Miro” section and give me the title and year of a painting made by Miró.

For 10 Points : A break in the clouds gives us hope, Moon, sun and a star (1968),
For 5 Points : Women dreaming of escape 1945 (2), Woman, Bird, Stars (1942) (2)
Among others – 24 to choose from: Portrait of a young girl, Village and church of Mont-roig, Village and church of Mont-roig

3. Antoni Gaudí, was a Spanish Catalan architect who belonged to the Modernist style (Art Nouveau) movement and was famous for his unique and highly individualistic designs. Some of his greatest works, most notably La Sagrada Família, have an almost hallucinatory power. Please give me the name of one of the famous Gaudi buildings not including the Sagrada Familia.

For 10 Points : Casa Botines, Casa Calvet, Palau Güell College of the Teresianas
For 5 Points : Casa Mila (2)
Among others: Bellesguard's Tower, Casa Batlló, El Capricho

4. The construction of the expiatory church of La Sagrada Família began on the 19 March 1882. Works on this masterpiece continue and it is hoped that it will be finished in 2026 which is the 100th anniversary of Gaudi’s death. From the Sagrada Famila site, go to Symbology – Structural, and give me one of the ten areas mentioned on that page.

10 Points to all : Cloister, Towers, Apse façade, Crypt, Bell Towers, Passion Façade
Among others: Nativity façade, Glory façade

5. To finish this round off I might as well mention Futbol Club Barcelona, known familiarly as Barca. According to the International Federation of Football History and Statistics, Barça has been the most consistently successful club in the world. Please give me the name of one of the FC Barcelona players that are on the quad for 2009/10.

For 10 Points : Pedero Rodriguez Ledesma, Sergio Busquets Burgos, Gerard Piqué, José Manuel Pinto
For 5 Points : Lionel Messi (2)
21 to choose from among others: Carles Puyon Safocada, Thierry Henry, Andres Iniesta Lujan

Scores

We have three winners with 45 points : Brandz_mygirl , Mugaboo & Physalius
With 40 points: Denni19 & Maninmidohio
With 35 points: Gatsby722

A hearty congratulations goes out to all three winners in this round Brandz_mygirl , Mugaboo & Physalius , each will receive a trivia point in the month of September. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#494687 - Sat Sep 26 2009 04:06 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 hours to go for Round 22, friends and neighbors ...

#494688 - Sun Sep 27 2009 12:31 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'll close round 23 tomorrow

#494689 - Sun Sep 27 2009 04:18 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 22 - Tuesday
"Middlemarch"
Six classic players (thank you! )

1. To start, please tell me a consonant in the name of either one of those two characters as they appear in "Middlemarch".

For 10 Points:
D, G, H, K, L, R
For 5 Points:
None

Tertius Lydgate and Dorothea Brooke are the names of the two characters in question.

2. Have a look at the Gutenberg website - and, no, I'll not ask you to read any books over there this time. Simply tell me any literary work listed on that site by George Eliot/Mary Anne Evans that can be read there (excluding "Middlemarch", o' course). Any genre is fine.

For 10 Points:
The Lifted Veil
For 5 Points:
How Lisa Loved the King (3), The Mill on the Floss (2)

Lots more of these to have chosen from: "Adam Bede", "Brother Jacob", "Daniel Deronda", "The Essays of George Eliot", "Impressions of Theophrastus Such", "O May I Join the Choir Invisible!", "Scenes of Clerical Life" and "Silas Marner".

3. Anyway, I'd like to know any feature film (no TV or stage work) that Sam Mendes either directed or had a hand in producing. Nothing *in development*, please ...

For 10 Points:
Whoops -- none today!
For 5 Points:
Jarhead (2005) (2), Revolutionary Road (2008) (2), Starter for 10 (as executive producer) (2006) (2)

Away We Go (2009), Road to Perdition (2002), American Beauty (1999), The Kite Runner (2007) (as executive producer) and Things We Lost in the Fire (2007) (as producer) were the others.

4. So, tell me --- what's a 9-letter word in the first paragraph of the text of The Reform Act of 1832 (hint: it starts with 'Whereas it is ...'). Also, please don't include any names of the various boroughs mentioned in it.

For 10 Points:
Assembled, Excellent, Expedient, Franchise, Returning, Therefore
For 5 Points:
None

Effectual, Prevailed, Privilege, Elections, Spiritual and Authority are the remaining 9-letter words there.

5. So to close, please have a look here and tell me one of the *parts* that is labelled on the diagram ...

For 10 Points:
Filler valve, Handle
For 5 Points:
Siphon (2), Tank (2)

Leaving the Filler float, Overflow tube, Flush valve, Bowl and Rim unmentioned ...

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
35 Points! .... maninmidohio, Mugaboo, physalius and szabs

Well done, everyone --- and a special mention to our winner and Trivia Point grabber denni19 this week ! See you all in a day or so ...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002