Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#498321 - Fri Oct 02 2009 02:02 AM October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.
The winner(s) of each Round are awarded monthly points, which are eventually tallied for the entire year.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl
Tuesdays - Gatsby722 (as best he can )
Wednesdays - JaneMarple
Thursdays - Denni19
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

Any changes, just let us know !

#498322 - Fri Oct 02 2009 02:10 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 2 Friday

This round is dedicated to my favorite comic strip, Peanuts written and illustrated by Charles M. Schulz, it ran from October 2, 1950, to February 13, 2000 (the day after Schulz's death), continuing in reruns afterward. The strip is considered to be one of the most popular and influential in the history of the medium. Reprints of the strip are still syndicated and run in many newspapers around the world.

1. The initial cast of Peanuts was small, featuring only Charlie Brown, Shermy, Patty (not to be confused with Peppermint Patty), and Snoopy. Since then the cast has grown considerably. Please give me the name of one of the other Peanuts characters.

2. Charles Monroe Schulz was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA and grew up in Saint Paul. He was the only child of Carl Schulz, who was German, and Dena, who was Norwegian. His uncle nicknamed him "Sparky" after the horse Spark Plug in the Barney Google comic strip, only a few days after he was born. In Charles Schulz’s storied career he won many awards, but undoubtedly the most notorious one is the Reuben Award, which he didn’t win once, but twice in his career (1955 and 1964), Reuben Awards are given by the National Cartoonists Society for outstanding cartoonist of the year, the highest honour that the profession bestows. Please give me the name of another recipient of the award and the comic strip it was for.

3. The Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center in Santa Rosa opened on August 17, 2002, two blocks away from his former studio and celebrates his life's work and art of cartooning. The museum is home to many of the original Peanuts strips, as well as other artwork by Schulz. There are many books written about Schulz and his Peanuts gang, go to the official site of the museum, and in the bibliography section you will find “Selected Bibliography of Books about Charles M. Schulz and Peanuts , please give me the title of one of the books written for adults.

4. The Charles M. Schulz Museum, has nearly 6,000 drawings from daily and Sunday pages, the Museum’s collection represents a wide breadth of Schulz’s thematic work from 1950 to 2000. Please give me the name of one of the future exhibitions, that will be put on in the museum.

5. In 1980, Charles Schulz was introduced to artist Tom Everhart during a collaborative art project. Everhart became fascinated with Schulz's art style and worked Peanuts themed art into his own work. Schulz encouraged Everhart to continue with his work. Everhart continues to be the only artist authorized to paint Peanuts characters. Although his art form is not every ones cup of tea, I must admit that I have a week spot for them, only because he paints my favorite characters – of course. From this site go to Lithographs and give me the title of one of the paintings on the first page.(There is a little video of him explaining his paintings which is quite interesting)

This round will close on Wednesday 7th of October, noonish FT time, if you have any queries just pm me, in the mean time have a great weekend.

Edited by szabs (Fri Oct 02 2009 08:16 AM)

#498323 - Sat Oct 03 2009 01:42 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 3 - Saturday 3rd October

1. Please tell me any town in Cuba, which has the same name as another country.

2. The authorised sequel to Winnie The Pooh "Return To The Hundred Acre Wood" is published on Monday. Name any other book by David Benedictus.

3. Please tell me one of the 9 clauses, that were employed in the legislation, that was used to adopted "Hang on Sloopy" as the state rock song of Ohio. Just the first three or four words will do - all start with "WHEREAS,".

4. The MOBO (Music of Black Origin) awards ceremony took place in Glasgow earlier this week. Please name me and person/band who won a MOBO award in 2009.

5. The winner of the Man Booker Prize, will be anounced on Tuesday. Please name one of the authors who made the short list.

Any queries, please PM me at once. Provided there are no outstanding queries, the results will be posted a few minutes after noon (FT time) when the round is due to close.

#498324 - Wed Oct 07 2009 05:36 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 7th October round
Q1 A film beginning with R
Q2 A song title beginning with R
Q3 A book title beginning with R
Q4 An eight letter word beginning with R
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with R

Round closes on Monday

#498325 - Wed Oct 07 2009 06:52 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 6 ~ Tuesday

Eeek . I'm over a day late with these (and I apologize like crazy, too). But I think they're ready to go now! This one's steered by one of my all-time fave songs (which I heard on the radio this weekend past) ...

1. Roger Dean Miller (1936-1992) was an award-winning American singer, songwriter and musician. While perhaps most recognized for his honky tonk-influenced novelty songs, he also wrote the music, lyrics (and acted in, too) the hit musical "Big River" in 1985. Many still recall his country/pop chart toppers like "King of the Road", "Dang Me" and "England Swings", all from the mid-1960s. Miller was also the first singer to have a hit with today's song in question in 1969 (even though he gets next to NO credit for it, since it became a massive success for someone else soon after). To start, please tell me the name of a studio album recorded by Roger Miller in the 1970s ...

2. Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waiting for a train. And I's feeling nearly as faded as my jeans ... Sound familiar? Were we to 'bust a flat' in said Louisiana city, these days? Might as well grab some coffee and/or breakfast, don't you think? Over on The Best of Baton Rouge they present their selections of the finest "Coffee Houses & Breakfast". Tell me one of their choices!

3. The writer of our song was the phenomenally reliable Kris Kristofferson, who has about thirty zillion tunes under his talented belt. Unfortunately, most people think Kris is one of those writers who can pen a mighty fine song ... but when it comes to singing it? Maybe not always such a good idea. Kristofferson DID present today's song at least once, though (and, reportedly, went into a major snit in the middle of it --- displaying a totally public [and probably unnecessary] rant about the sound system, or something ). That happened at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival. On Wednesday, June 26, to be exact. Kindly tell me an act who played at the Isle of Wight Festival the NEXT day.

4. Even The Grateful Dead took their turn covering *Me & Bobby McGee*! In looking up stuff for this, I was truly amazed at how very many notable singers/groups have used the song in performances or albums over the years --- but, needless to say, it will always go down as being wildly associated with Miss Janis Joplin (who died just weeks after making her classic recording of it). The Dead used it on their live album released in 1971. Please tell me a song (NOT 'Bobby McGee') that appears on that Grateful Dead collection, OK?

5. Then there was: Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained, it rode us all the way to New Orleans ... Sigh for days gone by. Although, even in 1969, hitchhiking was a risky and/or dangerous business -- even for the likes of our erstwhile Mr. McGee. Today it's almost always illegal. I found this book online, and it's a very thoughtful [and funny] collection of essays and adventures swirling about the time-honored exercise of hitchhiking, written by Mario Rinvolucri in 1974. In that book, there is a chapter called "The Fuzz and the Slag" and Rinvolucri tells (as per his casual researching) of 11 people who said the policemen's attitudes were negative back then, when they found themselves summarily disciplined for their "thumbing". Tell me one of those 11 summations of the hitchhiking MISadventures, as reported in the text. Note: I'm pretty sure that all 11 of 'em would have much worse to say were they picked up for ride-hitching in 2009 ...

This will close on (let's see?) next Monday night. Again, so sorry for being tardy. See you then !

#498326 - Thu Oct 08 2009 03:59 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 2 Answers

Five wonderful players participated in this round dedicated to Peanuts written and illustrated by Charles M. Schulz.

1. The initial cast of Peanuts was small, featuring only Charlie Brown, Shermy, Patty (not to be confused with Peppermint Patty), and Snoopy. Since then the cast has grown considerably. Please give me the name of one of the other Peanuts characters.

For 10 Points : Frieda, Linus Van Pelt, Spike
For 5 Points : Rerun Van Pelt (2)
Among others: Lucy, Schroeder, Pig Pen, Sally, Woodstock, Olaf

2. Charles Monroe Schulz was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA and grew up in Saint Paul. His uncle nicknamed him "Sparky" after the horse Spark Plug. In Charles Schulz’s storied career he won many awards, but undoubtedly the most notorious one is the Reuben Award, which he didn’t win once, but twice in his career (1955 and 1964), Reuben Awards are given by the National Cartoonists Society for outstanding cartoonist of the year, the highest honour that the profession bestows. Please give me the name of another recipient of the award and the comic strip it was for.

10 Points to all : Will Eisner (The Spirit), Scott Adams (Dilbert), Alex Raymond (Rip Kirby), Jeff MacNelly (Shoe), Chester Gould (Dick Tracy)
Among others: Walt Kelly (Pogo), Bill Watterson ( Calvin and Hobbes), Garry Trudeau ( Doonesbury) Mort Walker ( Beetle Bailey)

3. The Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center is home to many of the original Peanuts strips, as well as other artwork by Schulz. There are many books written about Schulz and his Peanuts gang, go to the official site of the museum, and in the bibliography section you will find “Selected Bibliography of Books about Charles M. Schulz and Peanuts , please give me the title of one of the books written for adults.

For 10 Points : Peanuts Jubilee: My Life and Art with Charlie Brown and Others, A Charlie Brown Christmas: The Making of a Tradition, They Called Him Sparky: Friends' Reminiscences of Charles Schulz
For 5 Points : It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: The Making of a Television Classic (2)
Among others: You Don't Look 35, Charlie Brown!, 50 Years of Happiness: A Tribute to Charles M. Schulz, Good Grief!, The Story of Charles M. Schulz

4. The Charles M. Schulz Museum, has nearly 6,000 drawings from daily and Sunday pages, the Museum’s collection represents a wide breadth of Schulz’s thematic work from 1950 to 2000. Please give me the name of one of the future exhibitions, that will be put on in the museum.

For 10 Points : Turn Another Page, Sibling Relationships in the Comics, Failed Experiments in Peanuts
For 5 Points : From Highland Park Caddy to Pebble Beach Celebrity: Schulz and the Game of Golf (2)
Among others: Peanuts Cooks, Sunday at the Funnies, The Language of Lines:How Cartoonists Create Imaginary Places

5. In 1980, Charles Schulz was introduced to artist Tom Everhart during a collaborative art project. Everhart became fascinated with Schulz's art style and worked Peanuts themed art into his own work. Everhart continues to be the only artist authorized to paint Peanuts characters. From this site go to Lithographs and give me the title of one of the paintings on the first page.

For 10 Points : Super Sneaky, Mon Ami, Boom Shaka Laka
For 5 Points : Hitched (2)
Among others: Blow Sry, Super Star, Hip Hop Hound, Drama Queen
Scores

We have three winners with 45 points : Brandz_mygirl , Gatsby722 & Maninmidohio
With 40 points: Mugaboo
With 35 points:
Denni19

A hearty congratulations goes out to all three winners in this round Brandz_mygirl , Gatsby722 & Maninmidohio , each will receive a trivia point in the month of October. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#498327 - Thu Oct 08 2009 11:06 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Answers Round 3 - 5 played

1. Please tell me any town in Cuba, which has the same name as another country.
For 10 points: Colombia; El Salvador; Nicaragua; Peru; Venezuela
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Chile; Costa Rica; Guatemala; Jamaica; Mexico; Paraguay

2. Name a book by David Benedictus.
For 10 points: The Guru and the Golf Club (1969); Lloyd George (1981); Sunny Intervals and Showers: Our Changing Weather (1992)
For 5 points: The Rabbi's Wife (1976) [2]
Not mentioned include: This Animal Is Mischievous (1966); Whose Life Is It Anyway? (1981); Floating Down to Camelot (1985)

3. Please tell me one of the 9 clauses, that were employed in the legislation, that was used to adopted "Hang on Sloopy" as the state rock song of Ohio.
For 10 points:
WHEREAS, In 1965, an Ohio-based rock group known as the McCoys reached the top of the national record charts with "Hang On Sloopy," composed by Bert Russell and Wes Farrell, and that same year, John Tagenhorst, then an arranger for the Ohio State University Marching Band, created the band's now-famous arrangement of "Sloopy," first performed at the Ohio State-Illinois football game on October 9, 1965; and
WHEREAS, Rock music has become an integral part of American culture, having attained a degree of acceptance no one would have thought possible twenty years ago; and
WHEREAS, If fans of jazz, country-and-western, classical, Hawaiian and polka music think those styles also should be recognized by the state, then by golly, they can push their own resolution just like we're doing; and
For 5 points:
WHEREAS, Adoption of "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of Ohio is in no way intended to supplant "Beautiful Ohio" as the official state song, but would serve as a companion piece to that old chestnut; and [2]
Not mentioned:
WHEREAS, The members of the 116th General Assembly of Ohio wish to recognize the rock song "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of the great State of Ohio; and
WHEREAS, "Hang On Sloopy" is of particular relevance to members of the Baby Boom Generation, who were once dismissed as a bunch of long-haired, crazy kids, but who now are old enough and vote in sufficient numbers to be taken quite seriously; and
WHEREAS, Adoption of this resolution will not take too long, cost the state anything, or affect the quality of life in this state to any appreciable degree, and if we in the legislature just go ahead and pass the darn thing, we can get on with more important stuff; and
WHEREAS, Sloopy lives in a very bad part of town, and everybody, yeah, tries to put my Sloopy down; and
WHEREAS, Sloopy, I don't care what your daddy do, 'cause you know, Sloopy girl, I'm in love with you; therefore be it Resolved, That we, the members of the 116th General Assembly of Ohio, in adopting this Resolution, name "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of the State of Ohio; and be it further Resolved, That the Legislative Clerk of the House of Representatives transmit duly authenticated copies of this Resolution to the news media of Ohio.

4. The winner of the Man Booker Prize, was anounced on Tuesday. Please name one of the authors who made the short list.
For 10 points: A.S. Byatt; Simon Mawer
For 5 points: Sarah Waters [3]
Not mentioned: J.M. Coetzee; Adam Foulds; Hilary Mantel (who won it)

5. Please name me and person/band who won a MOBO award in 2009.
For 10 points: N-Dubz; Nneka; Yolander Brown
For 5 points: Chipmunk [2]
Not mentioned include: Beyonce; JLS; Keri Hilson; Michael Jackson; Sean Paul; Trevor Nelson; Victizzle; War Child

Scores:

50 points: Brandz_mygirl
40 points: Denni19; Gatsby722; Szabs
35 points: Maninmidohio

Well away from the field is Brandz_mygirl, easily carrying off the round's point. Jolly well played

#498328 - Fri Oct 09 2009 08:50 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 9

We have now had rounds for the University of Minnesota and the Twin Cities. It is time that we look at the state as a whole, so this will be the Minnesota Round.

1. Minnesota is known as the “Land of 10,000 Lakes.” In actual fact, there are 11,842 lakes (over 10 acres) within the borders of Minnesota. Please tell me the name of one of the 10 largest lakes in acreage within Minnesota.

2. Minnesota is not as ethnically diverse as many of the other U.S. states, although that has been changing in recent years. Wikipedia cites a survey on the principal ancestry of Minnesota residents. Please tell me one of the top 7 principal ancestries cited in this survey.

3. Garrison Keillor in his radio program, “A Prairie Home Companion,” which broadcasts from St. Paul, MN celebrates life in the small rural towns that dot the Minnesota landscape. A visit with him to Lake Wobegon gives us a peek into the lives of many interesting characters. BrainyQuote.com offers up a number of quotes from Garrison, please give me one of these quotes that begins with a vowel.

4. One of Minnesota’s most famous sons is Robert Allen Zimmerman who grew up in the towns of the Mesabi Iron Range of northern Minnesota. As Bob Dylan, he has made a huge impact on the music scene of the 60s to this day. Please tell me the name of a Bob Dylan studio album that was released in the 1960s.

5. Jesse Ventura has to be one of the most colorful governors of any state in recent years. He was elected governor of Minnesota in 1998 and served until 2003. Not every state has had a former pro wrestler as its chief executive. From the prowrestling.wikia.com entry on Jesse Ventura tell me either one of his nicknames/aliases, his real name, his signature move, his debut date as a pro wrestler, or his retirement date.

The Minnesota Round will close noonish on Wednesday, October 14. If you need any assistance with any of the questions just send me a message. I hope everyone has a fun weekend.

Edited by maninmidohio (Sun Oct 11 2009 10:10 AM)

#498329 - Fri Oct 09 2009 12:16 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 8 - Thursday [belated ]

1 - The CROWN Publishing Group is a company founded in 1933 by Nat Wartels and Bob Simon. Initially named Outlet Book Company, it featured overstock and remaindered books, but soon moved into reprints of backlist, out-of-print, largely non-fiction titles, then into reprints of best-selling fiction and non-fiction, and eventually into original titles. In 1988 it was purchased by Random House.
From Random House - Crown Publishing Group website pick a title from the "Biography & Memoir" category - from Page 1 only.

2 -The Triple CROWN of Snooker is an unofficial term used for professional snooker players who have won the World Championship, the Masters and the UK Championship.
Give me the name of any Triple Crown of Snooker title winner.

3 - CROWN Lager is a Premium Australian Beer originally made by the Carlton & United Beverages, a brewing company based in Abbotsford, Melbourne, Victoria.
Give me the name of another major brewery in Australia, from the ones listed by Wikipedia.

4 - CROWN jewels are jewels or artifacts (crowns, scepters, orbs, swords, rings and others) of the reigning royal family of their respective country. They belong to monarchs and are passed to the next sovereign to symbolize the right to rule. Apart from the official crown jewels, the Tsars of Russia are known to have gathered a very fine collection of jewels and precious objects.
From Here, pick your favourite among the "Treasures of the Tsars".

5 - "Satan's Jewel CROWN" is one of the songs on Emmylou Harris' 1975 album "Elite Hotel". This album brought Emmylou Harris a Grammy Award for Best Country Vocal Performance, Female, in 1976. Up until today, she has won 12 Grammy Awards for her musical activity.
Choose one of her other 11 awards and give me its name and the year it was won.

This round will be closed on Tuesday (October 13th) noon (FunTrivia time).
Please feel free to ask for any clarifications or more details.

#498330 - Sun Oct 11 2009 01:29 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 7 closes tomorrow. Plenty of room in my in-box

#498331 - Mon Oct 12 2009 08:49 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Eight hours to go for Round 6 .....

#498332 - Mon Oct 12 2009 03:13 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 7th October results

Q1 A film beginning with R
FOR TEN POINTS:
Rear Window (1954), Running on empty, Rowing with the Wind (1988), Requiem for a Dream, Radio Days (1987)
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Robin Hood (Lots of versions) and more

Q2 A song title beginning with R
FOR TEN POINTS:
Reflections (Diana Ross), Runaway (Bon Jovi), Ridin' The Storm Out (Reo Speedwagon), Rainy Day Lament (Joe Purdy), "Rusty Bells", by Brenda Lee,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Roses are red, and more

Q3 A book title beginning with R
FOR TEN POINTS:
Rinkitink in Oz (L. Frank Baum, Rabbit, Run (Updike), Remember the Moment (Denise Robertson), Race Against Time (Anthony Piers), "Right As Rain", by George Pelecanos,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Remember Death (Agatha Christie – also known as Sparkling Cyanide) and more

Q4 An eight letter word beginning with R
FOR TEN POINTS:
Rucksack, Runcible, Ramulose, Restorer, Roadshow,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Remember and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with R
FOR TEN POINTS:
Rose hips, Rum cake, Roncal Cheese, Rambutan, Raisinettes,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Rice pudding and more

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Szabs – 50
Well done to Brandz, Gatsby, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo and Szabs!

#498333 - Tue Oct 13 2009 07:22 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 6 - Tuesday
"Me and Bobby McGee"
Five terrific players!

1. To start, please tell me the name of a studio album recorded by Roger Miller in the 1970s ...

For 10 Points:
Dear Folks, Sorry I Haven't Written Lately (1973), Off the Wall (1978), Painted Poetry (1977), A Trip in the Country (1970), Waterhole #3 (1978)
For 5 Points:
None!

"Roger Miller 1970" (1970), "Celebration" (1976) and "Making a Name for Myself" (1979) would have worked, too.

2. Over on The Best of Baton Rouge they present their selections of the finest "Coffee Houses & Breakfast". Tell me one of their choices!

For 10 Points:
Charlie's Coffee, Community Coffee Houses, Franks Smokehouse and Restaurant, Highland Coffees, Jay's Donuts
For 5 Points:
None, again !

The other eateries mentioned were: Another Broken Egg Cafe, Brew Ha Ha, Coffee Call, PJ's Coffee, River Road Coffees, The Buzz Cafe and The Coffee Bean.

3. Kindly tell me an act who played at the Isle of Wight Festival the NEXT day, Thursday (in 1970).

For 10 Points:
Black Widow, Gilberto Gil, Howl
For 5 Points:
Supertramp (2)

Gary Farr, Andy Roberts' Everyone, The Groundhogs and Terry Reid played that day, too.

4. The Dead used it on their live album released in 1971. Please tell me a song (NOT 'Bobby McGee') that appears on that Grateful Dead collection, OK?

For 10 Points:
Bertha, Mama Tried, Me & My Uncle, Not Fade Away, Wharf Rat
For 5 Points:
None!

"Big Railroad Blues", "Playing in the Band", "The Other One", "Big Boss Man", "Johnny B. Goode" and "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad" were on the eponymous album as well.

5. In that book, there is a chapter called "The Fuzz and the Slag" and Rinvolucri tells (as per his casual researching) of 11 people who said the policemen's attitudes were negative back then, when they found themselves summarily disciplined for their "thumbing". Tell me one of those 11 summations of the hitchhiking MISadventures, as reported in the text.

For 10 Points:
"Fairly hostile", "I wouldn't say he liked us much", "Very suspicious"
For 5 Points:
"Suspicious" (2)

Other reports? "Cocky at first", "Arrogant", "Angry", "Bloody stroppy", "Disapproving", "He was a bit of a rat" and "They treat you a little like dirt; they seem to think you have no rights because you're on the road ..."

The Results!

50 Points! .... denni19
45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio, Mugaboo and szabs

Very close (and very few repeat answers this time, too )! Big congrats to denni19 for nailing a perfect score! Thank you, everybody, for joining in.

#498334 - Tue Oct 13 2009 10:48 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 9, the Minnesota Round, will close in approximately 24 hours. Plenty of time to get in your entry, both veterans and newcomers welcomed.

#498335 - Tue Oct 13 2009 12:13 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
denni19 Offline

Round 8 - the "Crown" round - is now closed. I'll post the results tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

#498336 - Tue Oct 13 2009 07:00 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 13 ~ Tuesday

1. The Texas State Strutters, founded in 1960, are the first dance team organized on any major University campus in America, and have become known for their showmanship and perfection of their performances (not to mention their sexy outfits worn by sexy coeds ). Interesting, too, that they have appeared on every major television network including NBC, ABC, and CBS in the United States. They have performed at professional football and basketball games, o' course, but better yet? They are internationally recognized, and have performed in 22 countries in four continents! They have also showed up at two presidential inaugurations and in five feature films. Busy girls! To start, all I'd like to know is a (numerical) digit in the address, ZIP code OR phone number -- used if you'd like to apply to be a Texas State Strutter at Texas State University - San Marcos. Their official site might be very helpful on that one ...

2. The Sopwith Strutter was a British one or two-seat biplane multi-role aircraft used in World War I. It is significant as the first British-designed two seater tractor fighter, and the first British aircraft to enter service with a synchronised machine gun. It also saw widespread but rather undistinguished service with the French Aéronautique Militaire. Wikipedia lists several variants of the Sopwith Strutter. Pick one!

3. While on the theme (and thinking of happy, or perhaps scary?, professions) let's consider the book "Strutter's Complete Guide to Clown Makeup" by Jim Roberts. I was interested to discover that this book is widely considered the bible of clowning attire and overall appearance! While I happen to be in that category of folks who find most (but not ALL, I guess) clowns rather creepy things to bump into, a website called Clown Ministry lists an official 'Clown Code of Ethics' -- The Eight Clown Commandments. Yep, they take the art of clowning very seriously indeed. Please tell me one of those Eight Clown Commandments. And abbreviated answers are fine to use.

4. "Strutter" is a show on MTV broadcast in the UK (and several other European countries). It stars Paul Kaye as Mike Strutter and Thaila Zucchi as Mrs. Strutter and focuses on clips of people getting hurt, Strutter making fun of music videos of indie bands, emo bands and boy bands, a German couple who like to mix extreme sports with sexual intercourse, and mock commercials promoting fictitious "Struttergear" merchandise, etc. Um, yikes! Definitely not a program for the kids, eh? And, based on that quick description alone, not for viewers with distinguished taste levels, either. Bottom line? I'd probably enjoy it, then ! But, anyway, (aside from UK), name another country where the show airs that ends with a consonant (and the letter *Y*, in this case, is considered a consonant ...)

5. Kiss (or KISS, as they are trademarked) is an American rock band formed in New York City in December 1972. Easily identified by its members' trademark face paint and stage outfits, the group rose to prominence in the mid and late-1970s on the basis of their elaborate live performances, which featured fire breathing, blood spitting, smoking guitars, and pyrotechnics. Kiss has been awarded 24 gold albums to date and has sold over 19 million records in the United States with worldwide sales exceeding 80 million albums. "Strutter" is a song by the band released on their self-titled debut album in 1974 (and a fine little tune it was, too, if you asked my 35-years-ago self). The original line up of the group was Paul Stanley (vocals and rhythm guitar), Gene Simmons (vocals and bass guitar), Ace Frehley (lead guitar and vocals), and Peter Criss (drums, percussion and vocals) and, despite some staffing changes, they are the most often recognized members of the 'ensemble'. To close, please tell me any of the children or current wives (two of the fellows aren't presently married) of any of those four original members of Kiss.

This'll close up on Sunday evening, folks! See you then!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Oct 13 2009 07:15 PM)

#498337 - Wed Oct 14 2009 12:33 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 14th October
Q1. A type of bread
Q2. A letter of the alphabet situated on the bottom line of a standard type writer/computer. Letters only, no other characters!
Q3. A type of footwear
Q4. A type of housing (e.g. Flats, which is not now allowed!
Q5. A category in the Funtrivia quizzes - e.g. Animals (Animals isn't allowed now!
This will close on Monday!

#498338 - Wed Oct 14 2009 01:33 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
denni19 Offline

ROUND 8Thursday - RESULTS

4 faithful participants for this round. Thank you all very much!

1. From Random House - Crown Publishing Group website pick a title from the "Biography & Memoir" category - from Page 1 only.

10 points ALL: "A Journal for Jordan", "Moonwalk", " The Opposite Field", "American Prince"

2. Give me the name of any Triple Crown of Snooker title winner.

10 points ALL: John Higgins, Steve Davis, Mark Williams, Stephen Hendry

3. Apart from Carlton & United Beverages, give me the name of a major brewery in Australia, from the ones listed by Wikipedia.

10 points: South Australian Brewing Company, Matilda Bay Brewing Company

5 points: J. Boag & Sons [2]

Not mentioned: Cascade Brewery, Castlemaine Perkins, Coopers Brewery, Hahn Brewery, Swan Brewery, Tooheys

4. From Here, pick your favourite among the "Treasures of the Tsars".

10 points: Diamond Bouquet, Earrings and Bandeau

5 points: Diamond and Emerald Plastron [3]

Not mentioned: Jeweled Order of St. Andrew, Diamond Diadem - "Russian Field", Jeweled Souvenir Album of Empress Marie, Jeweled Order of St. Alexander Nevsky, Ruby Pendant - "Caesar's Ruby", Diamond Brooch - "Rose" and a few others.

5. Emmylou Harris has won a Grammy Award for Best Country Vocal Performance, Female, in 1976. Up until today, she has won 12 Grammy Awards for her musical activity.
Choose one of her other 11 awards and give me its name and the year it was won.

10 points: Best Country Vocal Performance, Female – 1984, Best Country Collaboration with Vocals - 1999

5 points: Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal - 1992 [2]

Not mentioned: Album of the Year - 2001, Best Contemporary Folk Album - 1995, Best Country Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group - 1980 and five more .

The RESULTS for Round 8 are:

With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl and Mugaboo

With 40 points: Maninmidohio

With 35 points: Gatsby

So the happy, lucky winners of one October point each are Brandz and Mugaboo – Well done you two!

#498339 - Wed Oct 14 2009 01:59 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 9 – Results

There were six great entries for the Minnesota Round. Thanks to all for participating.

1. Please tell me the name of one of the 10 largest lakes in acreage within Minnesota.

For 10 Points:
Lake Kabetogama, Mud Lake, and Cass Lake
For 5 Points: Lake Vermilion (3)
Not Chosen: Red Lake, Mille Lacs Lake, Leech Lake, Lake Winnibigoshish, Lake Minnetonka, and Otter Tail Lake

2. Wikipedia cites a survey on the principal ancestry of Minnesota residents. Please tell me one of the top 7 principal ancestries cited in this survey.

For 10 Points:
Norwegian, English, and Polish
For 5 Points: Irish (3)
Not Chosen: German, Swedish, and French

3. BrainyQuote.com offers up a number of quotes from Garrison Keillor, please give me one of these quotes that begins with a vowel.

For 10 Points:

Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people.
I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it.
I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'
I want to resume the life of a shy person.
For 5 Points:
A minister has to be able to read a clock. At noon, it's time to go home and turn up the pot roast and get the peas out of the freezer. (2)
Not Chosen:
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
A girl in a bikini is like having a loaded pistol on your coffee table - There's nothing wrong with them, but it's hard to stop thinking about it.
A good newspaper is never nearly good enough but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.
A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.
I'm not busy... a woman with three children under the age of 10 wouldn't think my schedule looked so busy.
It was luxuries like air conditioning that brought down the Roman Empire. With air conditioning their windows were shut, they couldn't hear the barbarians coming.
It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.

4. Please tell me the name of a Bob Dylan studio album that was released in the 1960s.

For 10 Points:
. Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited, Blond on Blond, and John Wesley Hardin
For 5: Points: Nashville Skyline (2)
Not Chosen: The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan, The Times They Are a-Changin’, Another Side of Bob Dylan, and Bringing It All Back Home

5. From the prowrestling.wikia.com entry on Jesse Ventura tell me either one of his nicknames/aliases, his real name, his signature move, his debut date as a pro wrestler, or his retirement date.

For 10 Points:
Nickname: The Body and Retirement date:1986
For 5 Points: Real Name: James George Janos (2) and Debut: June 1974 (2)
Not Chosen: Nickname: The Great, Nickname: The Governing Body, Nickname: The Mouth, and Signature Move: Body Breaker

The Results:

With 40 Points: brandz_mygirl, denni19, Mugaboo, PDAZ, and szabs
With 30 Points: Gatsby 722

It was a terrific battle this time with everyone seeming to find the same answer that someone else had chosen, but in the end we have a five way tie for winner in the Minnesota Round. Taking home the honors and a October Trivia Point are brandz_mygirl, denni19, Mugaboo, PDAZ, and szabs. Well done all.

#498340 - Sat Oct 17 2009 03:41 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Round 17 - Saturday 17th October

1. Now let's go to Portland, Oregon, to visit Pittock Mansion. Go to their website and from the page of directions, please give me one of the places that it mentions that you might be coming from.

2. Now it's started to get colder, we're starting to burn log fires for the winter again. There is a Poem that starts "Logs to Burn, Logs to burn, Logs to burn, Logs to save the coal a turn". From that the firewood rhyme, please give me one of the types of log it mentions.

3. It's nice to east my tea in frount of the fire. The knife I use at tea is made by Viners of Sheffield. Quite an old model with a bone handle, with "By appointment to the late King George V" written on the blade. From their website, please tell me one of the loose dessert knifes you can buy.

4. I'm currently rading Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, the first of his books I have read. I Wasn't particularly convinced after the first volume, and almost abandoned it, but I pressed on with the second volume, which I found a joy to read. I have only every seen one of his films at the cinema, 20 years ago. Please name any actress who appeared in "Pet Sematary".

5. One servive offered by Google is called AdSense, please give me the title of any of the 10 pages explaining it.

The round will close noon (FT time) Thursday.

#498341 - Sat Oct 17 2009 08:29 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 16 Friday

Sorry these are late, I have been travelling for work and only just got back a few hours ago.

Republic of Madagascar, is an island nation in the Indian Ocean. The main island, also called Madagascar, is the fourth-largest island in the world, and is home to 5% of the world's plant and animal species, of which more than 80% are endemic to Madagascar. They include the lemur , the carnivorous fossa, three bird families and six baobab species.

1 The history of Madagascar begins in the 7th century, when Muslims established trading posts along the northwest coast. During the Middle Ages, the island's kings began to extend their power through trade with their Indian Ocean neighbours, notably Arab, Persian and Somali traders who connected Madagascar with East Africa, the Middle East and India. Go to Madagascar wiki page and please give me the name of one of the rulers pictured in the history section.

2. Antananarivo the capital of Madagascar means "City of thousands" it was named after the thousand warriors that protected it during the late 18th century of Madagascar's history, the city is located and surrounded by 12 sacred hills. The urban sprawl of Antananarivo is a sight to see as colourful houses built on hills descend into the rice paddy fields that surround the capital city. From this site , please give me the name of one of the 12 sacred hills.

3. The lemur is probably the endemic mammal that embodies best the remarkable quality of the fauna of Madagascar. There are many kinds of diurnal and nocturnal lemurs which are listed in the five families living in Malagasy land: the Cheirogaleidaes, the Lepilemuridaes, the Lemuridaes, the Indridaes and the aye-aye. The aye-aye is a particular lemur, because each part of its body remind another animal. And yet, it is unique! However, the list of the species in danger raised by the International Union for the Conservation of the Nature states that 63% of the lemur species is threatened of extinction of the 71 species that Madagascar shelters. From this page please give me the “common name” of a True Lemur from the Lemuridae species.

4. Madagascar is thought to have more than 300 species of frogs, 99 percent of which are endemic. Frogs are the only amphibians found in Madagascar—there are no toads, salamanders, or newts. Please give me the name of one of the frogs that are pictured on this page .

5. To finish this round up please give me a 5 or more letter word using the letters in MADAGASCAR.

This round will close Thursday midday FT time.

#498342 - Sat Oct 17 2009 04:41 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday's 14th round closes on Monday, but my in-box is looking a little empty

#498343 - Sun Oct 18 2009 07:51 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday October 19 – Quiz

Oh, oh! Oh my! Oh dear! You’ve probably guessed it, it’s all about O. Sorry all, I was supposed to post this on October 12, but real life stomped all over that idea. I had a very hectic work week, plus some of my spare time was spent trying to get my parents’ computer repaired. But I made it through with my sanity (mostly) intact. This round will be in replacement for October 12, and I should be posting on October 26 as usual.

1) The Open University (“OU”) was founded in 1969 by the UK government and continues to be funded by them. It is a distance learning university, which operates on an open-entry policy, that is, previous academic achievements are not taken into account for entry to most of the undergraduate courses. According to their website, they have about 150,000 undergraduate students and more than 30,000 postgraduate students. Of their total student population, more than 25,000 live outside the UK. The OU has its headquarters in Milton Keynes, but has also 13 other local and regional OU centres. Please tell me any one of them. Just the area it is in will do. HINT: Googling the words in italic may be a big help. I found searching the OU site not productive, strangely enough.

2) Onions and garlic feature a lot in South-East Asian cooking. Onions are known for their many health benefits. They are also just as well known for the dreaded ‘onion breath’ especially if you like raw onions. The National Onion Association has some onion recipes. Please give me any one of these “Favorite Onion Recipes” that comes with a photo of the dish. I counted 18 possible answers.

3) I’m not a tea drinker, I like my coffee. However, if I do have to drink tea, I like a cup of strong English Breakfast. In Singapore, tea is enjoyed by many. The Chinese especially love their teas. Meals at most Chinese restaurants come with a pot of tea. (I have to order a soft drink as I detest the black tea that is usually served) Oolong tea falls somewhere in between green tea and black tea. It is semi-oxidised so it doesn’t have the “grassy” taste of green tea nor the very bitter taste of black tea. Apologies to all green tea and black tea drinkers out there, these are just my personal views. If you were thinking of purchasing some oolong tea, you may find this site useful. Please tell me the name of any oolong tea available for sale.

4) I watched a very young Mark Lester play the part of Oliver Twist in the 1968 musical film “Oliver!” based on Charles Dickens’ novel. Please tell me either a category the film won an Academy Award for (including the special one given out) –or- the actor/actress who played the part of Fagin, Nancy, Bill Sikes –or- The Artful Dodger.

5) A short question to end this round. Please name a CITY, anywhere in the world, that starts with the letter ‘O’.

This round will close on Sunday 25 October at noon FT time. Gentle Monday wishes to everyone.

#498344 - Mon Oct 19 2009 06:15 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 13 - Tuesday
"Strutter"
Five breathtakingly good players !

1. To start, all I'd like to know is a (numerical) digit in the address, ZIP code OR phone number -- used if you'd like to apply to be a Texas State Strutter at Texas State University - San Marcos.

For 10 Points:
1, 5
For 5 Points:
2 (3)

The full address/phone number is: Texas State University-San Marcos / 601 University Drive, San Marcos, Texas 78666 / (512) 245-2111

2. Wikipedia lists several variants of the Sopwith Strutter. Pick one!

For 10 Points:
Sopwith Two-seater
For 5 Points:
SOP. 1 (2), Sopwith Type 9700 (2)

The others would be: Sopwith Type 9400, Sopwith 1½ Strutter, Sopwith Comic, Ship Strutter and LeO 1.

3. Please tell me one of those Eight Clown Commandments. And abbreviated answers are fine to use.

For 10 Points:
I will appear in as many clown shows as I possibly can; I will be committed to providing an atmosphere free of discrimination and harassment for clowns of all ages to share ideas and learn about the art of clowning.
For 5 Points:
While on appearance in makeup and costume, I will carry out the directives of the producer or his designated deputies. I will abide by all performance rules without complaint in public (3)

The other commandments for the erstwhile and honorable clown? They'd be:
I will keep my acts, performance and behavior in good taste while I am in costume and makeup. I will remember at all times that I have been accepted as a member of the clown club only to provide others, principally children, with clean clown comedy entertainment. I will remember that a good clown entertains others by making fun of himself or herself and not at the expense or embarrassment of others.
I will learn to apply my makeup in a professional manner. I will provide my own costume. I will carry out my appearance and assignment for the entertainment of others and not for personal gain or personal publicity when performing for either the International club or alley events. I will always try to remain anonymous while in makeup and costume as a clown, though there may be circumstances when it is not reasonably possible to do so.
I will neither drink alcoholic beverages nor smoke while in makeup or clown costume. Also, I will not drink alcoholic beverages prior to any clown appearances. I will conduct myself as a gentleman/lady, never interfering with other acts, events, spectators, or individuals. I will not become involved in or tolerate sexual harassment or discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or any protected status.
I will remove my makeup and change into my street clothes as soon as possible following my appearance, so that I cannot be associated with any incident that may be detrimental to the good name of clowning. I will conduct myself as a gentleman/lady at all times.
I will do my very best to maintain the best clown standards of makeup, costuming, properties, and comedy.

4. But, anyway, (aside from UK), name another country where the show airs that ends with a consonant (and the letter *Y*, in this case, is considered a consonant ...)

For 10 Points:
Belgium, Denmark, Spain
For 5 Points:
Sweden (2)

The program aired in Ireland, the Netherlands, Poland, Norway and Finland, too.

5. To close, please tell me any of the children or current wives (two of the fellows aren't presently married) of any of those four original members of Kiss.

For 10 Points:
Gigi Criss (Peter's current wife), Jenilee Criss (born in 1981), Monique Frehley (born in 1988), Colin Michael Stanley (born on September 6, 2006), Nick Tweed-Simmons (born on January 22, 1989)

Evan Shane Stanley (born June 6, 1994), Sarah Brianna Stanley (born on January 28, 2009), Erin Sutton Stanley (Paul's current wife) and Sophie Simmons (born on July 7, 1992) round out the family albums there ...

The Results!

40 Points! ....brandz_mygirl, denni19 and szabs
35 Points! ....maninmidohio and Mugaboo

Another tight race but today turns out to be "Ladies Day" ! Congrats to brandz_mygirl, denni19 and szabs!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Oct 19 2009 06:20 AM)

#498345 - Mon Oct 19 2009 03:29 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 14th October results
Q1. A type of bread
FOR TEN POINTS:
Tunnbröd, Pumpernickel, Brioche, White bread,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
No-one
NOT MENTIONED:
Rye bread, white bread and more

Q2. A letter of the alphabet situated on the bottom line of a standard type writer/computer. Letters only, no other characters!
FOR TEN POINTS:
No-one
FOR FIVE POINTS:
X (2), C (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Z, M and more

Q3. A type of footwear
FOR TEN POINTS:
Ankle boots, Toe socks,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Slippers (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
High heels, Trainers and more

Q4. A type of housing (e.g. Flats, which is not now allowed!
FOR TEN POINTS:
Tenement, Cape Cod, Garage Apartment, Castle,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Maisonette, Bungalow and more

Q5. A category in the Funtrivia quizzes - e.g. Animals (Animals isn't allowed now!
FOR TEN POINTS:
Religion, Brainteasers, General, Entertainment,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Literature, For Children and more

SCORES – 4 faithful players!
Brandz_mygirl - 45
Gatsby – 45
Maninmidohio – 40
Mugaboo – 40

Well done to all!