Q4 A eight letter word beginning with S
Q5 Something you can eat beginning with S
This closes on Monday

#498347 - Wed Oct 21 2009 07:50 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 20 is running (ashamedly) late ... but I promise, I'll have it up sometime today [Wednesday] ...

#498348 - Wed Oct 21 2009 10:03 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 20 ~ Tuesday (and, yes, don't be confused -- it's Wednesday at the moment)

Just a bit o' this, and a bit o' that. In terms of "recent stimuli" ...

To start, we'll look at a TV show that is wrapping up its first year on the air (in the US, anyway ~ it's based on the Japanese and/or UK program "Dragons' Den") called "Shark Tank". It's rather fun to watch, I'm discovering ! Each episode features investment proposals from the owner(s) of a business of some sort. The presentation must request a specific sum of money from the Sharks and offer up a certain percentage ownership stake of the business in exchange. The presentations include a description of the service or product, a rundown of the business's history, its financial figures (current sales, profit margins, costs), the business plan, how the Sharks' money would be used. The presentation as aired is interactive, with the Sharks regularly shown asking questions during the pitch ~ after which the investors decide whether they're interested, or not. All I need to know is the first OR last name (not both) of any of the five *Sharks* on the US version of the show.

2. The big (and entirely disturbing/pathetic) news over here lately is the saga of "The Balloon Boy". The whole country was up-in-arms last week when a helium balloon contraption, owned and being tinkered with by an inventor and 'storm chaser', mysteriously became free in his back yard and flew off on a 50+ mile unplanned journey. The biggest scare, though? The speculation was that the 'inventor's' 6-year old son was on board the thing! Approximately $100,000 worth of various emergency interventions later, the balloon landed ... and the boy was nowhere in sight. It all turned out to be a scam, the father hoping to get media attention and, it's alleged, a hoped-for reality show. The people in Fort Collins, Colorado, where this happened, were especially aghast, I'm sure. How could this crazy fool pull a stunt (prank?) like this? 'Twas all very wild AND very crazy indeed. Over on collinsnightlife.com they list a selection of Wild (or Crazy) Bars and Clubs one can visit in Collins --- one might think this balloon family has hung out in any number of them once too often? Pick one of those night spots, though, please.

3. Hmmm. The local news just reported a tie-in campaign between a hair salon and a local pub there that will be raising funds to battle hunger in the area. Sounds like a noble project, true ... but I had to smile a little. Evidently you go to the Blind Pig sports bar there, knock down a few beers, and get your hair cut! All proceeds going to charity. All I can think is that there might end up some insane-looking haircuts issued by more than three tipsy stylists as this thing progresses. But as long as someone out there gets fed? It's all worth it, yes? I couldn't find a menu for Cleveland's (Ohio) Blind Pig, but I found a similarly named establishment (similarly themed, too) in Athen's Georgia. So, tell me a Sandwich (NO Burgers or Subs & Wraps) that they have on the menu at the Blind Pig in Athens, Georgia.

4. I have no good reason for this next question, other than that I was discussing (for some reason that I still can't explain) romance novels with somebody recently. I have nothing against 'em, mind you, but me discussing such novels? It's kinda like the "Balloon Boys" parents [above] discussing childhood developmental skills and/or good mental health. Anyway, as per The Romance Reader website, kindly share with me one of the Top Ten romance novel authors that they list (out of a full list of fifty).

5. Yep, I'm pretty much sick of Miss California by now ... and yet she's BACK in the news. Never mind that she isn't even Miss California anymore, either. She was fired after a bungled showing at the Miss America pageant, and a series of misadventures that came as a result. The speculation is that her answer to a question on stage re: gay marriage cost her the crown (if you ask me, the girl had her right to an opinion on the subject --- but it also seems to me a waste of valuable air time to ask a *beauty queen* such a loaded question for any reason whatsoever). She got her hackles up in a hurry when she lost the contest, the Miss California organization got their hackles up soon after she started acting up all over the place. She got fired. She sued them. And now they're suing her back! Seems (are you ready for it?) they want their money back for the boob job they paid for her to get!!! Ah, for the days of real "natural" beauty, huh? Tell me one of the very first eight winners of the Miss California crown ~ who went on to represent at the Miss America contest.

I reckon this cornucopia of (non-essential) current events will close up on Tuesday, somewhere around lunch time!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Oct 21 2009 10:07 AM)

#498349 - Wed Oct 21 2009 11:19 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 16 will be closing in 24 hours.

#498350 - Thu Oct 22 2009 03:38 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Apologies for being late with my Thursday round. I've had a few hectic days at work (tonight I arrived home after 10:30PM ).

I WILL post Round 22 tomorrow - Friday.

#498351 - Fri Oct 23 2009 02:02 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 17 - 5 played

1. From the Pittock Mansion website's page of directions, please give me one of the places that it mentions that you might be coming from.
For 10 points: Seattle
For 5 points: Beaverton [2]; Gresham [2]
Not mentioned: Downtown (Portland); Fairview; Hillsboro; Salem; Vancouver; Wilsonville

2. From that the firewood rhyme, please give me one of the types of log it mentions.
For 10 points: Apple; Birch; Chestnut; Oak; Yew
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Beech; Holly; Larch

3. From Viners of Sheffield's website, please tell me one of the loose dessert knifes you can buy.
For 10 points: (none)
For 5 points: Bead [3]; Eden [2]
Not mentioned: Dunbarry; Harley; Kings; Rattail

4. Please name any actress who appeared in "Pet Sematary".
For 10 points: Susan Blommaert; Kara Dalke; Lisa Stathoplos
For 5 points: Mara Clark [2]
Not mentioned include: Blaze Berdahl; Denise Crosby; Mary Louise Wilson

5. One servive offered by Google is called AdSense, please give me the title of any of the 10 pages explaining it.
For 10 points: What's AdSense?; Get started in minutes; Show only appropriate ads
For 5 points: Customize AdSense for your site [2]
Not mentioned include: Earn more revenue; Access thousands of advertisers; Grasps the meaning of your content; Make money from a Google search box; See what our customers say; Apply now

Scores:

40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722; Szabs
35 points: Denni19
30 points: Maninmidohio

Well done to our three winners Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby722 and Szabs, all of whom pick up a point towards this months total.

Edited by Mugaboo (Fri Oct 23 2009 02:05 AM)

#498352 - Fri Oct 23 2009 12:49 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 23

The time eventually came that I left the University of Minnesota and for the first time in my life set out on my own away from family and school. I had a good friend from college who was then teaching school on Long Island and I imposed on him while I looked for a job in New York City. We will start this chapter of my life with a round devoted to this part of New York State, so this will be the Long Island Round.

1. Long Island has the distinction of being the largest island in the contiguous United States. It extends 118 miles from tip to tip but is never more than 23 miles wide. With a population of over 7.7 million, if it was a separate state it would rank 12th in population. Please give me the census population for Long Island for any year from 1820-1900.

2. Long Island duckling has long been a favorite treat in restaurants in America. It is a bit of a misnomer in that all Long Island ducks are actually descendents of a few Peking ducks which were brought to the U.S. around 1872. The Long Island Geological Society has an interesting page on their web site devoted to Long Island ducklings. The site is located here. Please tell me the name of a duck farm (or ranch) mentioned in the article or the caption on one of the postcards used to illustrate the article (I am looking here for words actually printed on the postcards - if you see words printed on the picture, you can assume that it is a postcard).

3. The Long Island Ducks, who derived their name from the aforementioned Long Island ducklings, are a professional baseball team. They play in the Liberty League of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, which is not associated with Major League Baseball. In 2009 they lead their league with a 73 – 65 record. From the official web site of the Long Island Ducks look at the current roster and tell me a pitcher for the team.

4. The Long Island Railroad is the busiest commuter railroad in North America servicing 81 million passengers each year. In 2009, it celebrates its 175th year in operation. It was on the Oyster Bay Branch of the Long Island Railroad that I commuted to my job on Manhattan. Please tell me one of the 10 stations located on the Oyster Bay Branch of the Long Island Railroad.

5. The Battle of Long Island during the Revolutionary War was the largest battle during the whole war encompassing over 30,000 troops. The loss by the colonists left the British in command of New York City and Long Island for most of the war. Please tell me either a commander for either side during the Battle of Long Island or a current commemoration of the battle that lies outside of Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

The Long Island Round will conclude noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, October 25. If you have any problems with any of the questions, just send me a note. Have a wonderful weekend.

#498353 - Fri Oct 23 2009 03:47 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
denni19 Offline

ROUND 22 [Thursday] - about various World records...

1. The world's largest Irish dance involved 10,036 participants and happened on August 4, 2007 at the Irish Festival held in, of course, the City of Dublin. Yes, Dublin... Ohio, USA
** Please pay a visit to the official website of Dublin, Ohio and have a look at their "City Services". You'll find an interesting page that deals with Mosquito Control. From that page, give me one of the bulleted advices about how to prevent mosquitoes by eliminating breeding sites. (11 'items' to pick from)

2. Michele Santelia from Italy is the record holder for most books typed backwards. Using a computer and four blank keyboards, and without looking at the screen he typed (each in their original language) "The Odyssey", "Macbeth", Etruscan scripts, the Guinness World Records Book 2002, the Dead Sea scrolls and many more others, putting together a 4,05 m (13ft 12in) high tower of 'backward' books.
** From HERE give me one of the numbers that reflect Michele's unusual accomplishment. (number of pages, books, words, etc.)

3. The record for the most nationalities in a sauna is 57. I would have thought this to have been achieved in the US but no. The record was set by students of 57 different countries, at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University in Beppu city, Japan.
** Please go to Beppu City GUIDE website and pick one of the Hot Springs they have listed in there.

4. The smallest submarine in the world was made by a Canadian - Pierre Poulin. His wee vessel has a displacement of 620 kg (1366.9 lbs) and its official dive was made in the Memphremagog Lake in Magog, Quebec on June 26, 2005.
** From This Page please tell me a part of the submarine named in the photo/drawing.

5. The world's longest goldfish (Carassius auratus) is owned by Joris Gijsbers and measured 47.4 cm (18.7 in) from snout to tail-fin end on March 24, 2003 in Hapert, The Netherlands.
** Please tell me one of the RARE fancy varieties that are mentioned on the Wikipedia "Goldfish" page. (some varieties are 'expressed' in two ways - they count as one and the same)

This Round closes on Tuesday, Oct. 27 - at noon FT time.
May you all have a fantastic weekend!

Edited by denni19 (Fri Oct 23 2009 03:50 PM)

#498354 - Sun Oct 25 2009 08:54 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 19 is due to close in just over 2 hours from now. But I've only gotten 2 sets of answers in (I haven't yet replied to the 2 players, will do so soon). I forgot to post a reminder about the round closing.

I think I will extend the close by another day for anyone wanting to play but needing the extra time. So noon (FT time) Monday the 26th will be the new closing time for Round 19.

#498355 - Sun Oct 25 2009 11:49 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 21 - Wednesday - closes tomorrow, and plenty of room in my inbox

#498356 - Sun Oct 25 2009 12:33 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Firstly my apologies for posting these answers so late, unfortunately I was taken to hospital last Wednesday, and they would not let me out as they said I had swine flu (mild), and they wanted to observe me, well they observed me like an alien till yesterday night , when I was allowed to come home. I guess my resemblance to a piglet was not as much as they expected, although I am still oinking and wheezing .

Round 16 answers

Five faithful players participated in this round dedicated to Madagascar.

1. The history of Madagascar begins in the 7th century, when Muslims established trading posts along the northwest coast. During the Middle Ages, the island's kings began to extend their power through trade with their Indian Ocean neighbours, notably Arab, Persian and Somali traders who connected Madagascar with East Africa, the Middle East and India. Go to Madagascar wiki page and please give me the name of one of the rulers pictured in the history section.

For 10 Points : Radama I, Radama II, Andrianampoinimerina,
For 5 Points : Ranavalona II (2)
Among others: Ranavalona I, Rasoherina, Ranavalona III

2. Antananarivo the capital of Madagascar means "City of thousands" it was named after the thousand warriors that protected it during the late 18th century of Madagascar's history, the city is located and surrounded by 12 sacred hills. From this site , please give me the name of one of the 12 sacred hills.

For 10 Points : Namehana, Ambohijafy, Ambohidrapeto
For 5 Points : Antsahadita (2)
Among others: Ambohitratrimo, Ambohimanga, Ilafy

3. The lemur is probably the endemic mammal that embodies best the remarkable quality of the fauna of Madagascar. There are many kinds of diurnal and nocturnal lemurs which are listed in the five families living in Malagasy land. However, the list of the species in danger raised by the International Union for the Conservation of the Nature states that 63% of the lemur species is threatened of extinction of the 71 species that Madagascar shelters. From this page please give me the “common name” of a True Lemur from the Lemuridae species.

10 Points to all : Crowned Lemur, Blue Eyed Black Lemur, Sanford’s Lemur, Broad Nosed Gentle Lemur, Golden Gentle Lemur
Among others: White-fronted Lemur, Mongoose Lemur, Ring-tailed Lemur

4. Madagascar is thought to have more than 300 species of frogs, 99 percent of which are endemic. Frogs are the only amphibians found in Madagascar—there are no toads, salamanders, or newts. Please give me the name of one of the frogs that are pictured on this page .

For 10 Points : Mantella madagascariensis, Ranomafana
For 5 Points : Mantella aurantiaca frog (2), Boophis frog, Masoala NP (2)
Among others: Painted Mantella, Tomato Frog, Mantella laevigata

5. To finish this round up please give me a 5 or more letter word using the letters in MADAGASCAR.

10 Points to all : Drama, Scrag, Crags, Dramas, Mascara
Among others: Maraca, Cards, Armada, Scram

Scores

We have three winners with 45 points : Brandz_mygirl , & Maninmidohio & Mugaboo
With 40 points: Denni19
With 35 points: Gatsby722

A hearty congratulations goes out to all three winners in this round Brandz_mygirl , Maninmidohio & Mugaboo , each will receive a trivia point in the month of October. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#498357 - Mon Oct 26 2009 11:01 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
October 19 Round – Answers

Thank you to the lovely group of five who played the O round.

1) The OU has its headquarters in Milton Keynes, but has also 13 other local and regional OU centres. Please tell me any one of them. Just the area it is in will do.
For Ten Points: East of England, East Midlands, Ireland, South East, South West
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: London, Scotland, The North, The North West, The South, Wales, West Midlands, Yorkshire.

2) The National Onion Association has some onion recipes. Please give me any one of these “Favorite Onion Recipes” that comes with a photo of the dish.
For Ten Points: Caribbean Lime Chicken, Chilled Salmon Salad with Orange Citrus Onions, Chinese Chicken Salad Sandwich, Crusty Onion Bruschetta, Fresh Pasta with Onion and Pork
Not mentioned: Best Ever Onion Rings, Caramelized Onions, Classic Onion Soup, Crispy Barbecue Onions, Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers, Hearty Onion Veggie Sandwich, Herb-Buttered Grilled Onion Bloom, Onion and Turkey Lime Salad, Oniony Meatloaf, Pizza Del Giorno, Roast Beef with Onion Relish on Focaccia, Smoked Chicken Salad with Onions and Dried Cherries, Ultimate Onion Bloom.

3) If you were thinking of purchasing some oolong tea, you may find this site useful. Please tell me the name of any oolong tea available for sale.
For Ten Points: Apricot-Peach Oolong, Finest Nepalese Oolong, Oolong Ti Dung, Oolong Tie Guan Yin Organic, Thai Oolong
Not mentioned: Oolong Tea, Orange Blossom Oolong, Superior Fancy Oolong, White Downy Oolong Organic.

4) Please tell me either a category the film won an Academy Award for (including the special one given out) –or- the actor/actress who played the part of Fagin, Nancy, Bill Sikes –or- The Artful Dodger.
For Ten Points: Best Sound, Jack Wild, Oliver Reed, Ron Moody, Shani Wallis
Not mentioned: Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Director, Best Music Score of a Musical Picture (Original or Adaptation), Best Picture, Outstanding Choreography Achievement.

5) Please name a CITY, anywhere in the world, that starts with the letter ‘O’.
For Ten Points: Oakdale (California), Ootacumund (India), Ostend (Belgium), Oviedo (Spain), Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
Not mentioned: Odgen (Utah), Okinawa (Japan), Omdurman (Sudan), Omsk (Russia), Owensboro (Kentucky) and more.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Mugaboo, Maninmidohio, Zorba_Scank, Szabs & Gatsby ALL win the round with a full 50 points! What are the chances of this happening.Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! One yay for each winner

Other Results: None! Yay! (couldn’t resist)

Gentle Monday everyone.

#498358 - Mon Oct 26 2009 04:36 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 21st October results
Q1 A film beginning with S
FOR TEN POINTS:
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977), Scaramouche (1952), Sweet Smell of Success (1957), Summer and Smoke (1961),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Snow White and more

Q2 A song title beginning with S
FOR TEN POINTS:
"Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, Seven Day Mile (The Frames), "Sleeping With The Dog", by Jethro Tull,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Singing in the Rain and more

Q3 A book title beginning with S
FOR TEN POINTS:
Scorpion (by Andrew Kaplan), She (Haggard), Splendid (Julia Quinn), "Secret Harbour", by Barbara Cartland,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Six cousins again (Enid Blyton) and more

Q4 A eight letter word beginning with S
FOR TEN POINTS:
Skirmish, Sinkhole, Spotless, Seabound
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Spelling and more

Q5 Something you can eat beginning with S
FOR TEN POINTS:
Salsify, Sponge Cake, Soursop, Saltine cracker,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all!
NOT MENTIONED:
Strawberries and more

COMPETITORS
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby - 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo - 50

Well done to all!

#498359 - Tue Oct 27 2009 11:06 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 23, the Long Island Round, will close in approximately 24 hours. Looking for some more entries, veterans and newcomers welcomed.

#498360 - Tue Oct 27 2009 12:34 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 20 - Tuesday
"Miscellaneous Stuff"
Four outstanding players !

1. All I need to know is the first OR last name (not both) of any of the five *Sharks* on the US version of the show.

For 10 Points:
Corcoran, Harrington, O'Leary, Robert

Robert Herjavec, Kevin O'Leary, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin Harrington and Daymond John are the full names of those crazy Sharks .

2. Over on collinsnightlife.com they list a selection of Wild (or Crazy) Bars and Clubs one can visit in Collins --- one might think this balloon family has hung out in any number of them once too often? Pick one of those night spots, though, please.

For 10 Points:
Club Static, Drunken Monkey, Osiris Night Club, Zydeco's

The others: Choice City Shots, Rio Grande, Road 34, Suite 152, Sullivan's Tavern, Sundance Saloon, Tony's and Washington's.

3. So, tell me a Sandwich (NO Burgers or Subs & Wraps) that they have on the menu at the Blind Pig in Athens, Georgia.

For 10 Points:
Grilled Grouper, The Reuben
For 5 Points:
The Chicken Hawk Melt (2)

Grilled Cheese, Grilled Pimento Cheese, BBQ, The BLT and 'The Girly Man' are the others.

4. Anyway, as per The Romance Reader website, kindly share with me one of the Top Ten romance novel authors that they list (out of a full list of fifty).

For 10 Points:
#1) Nora Roberts/ J.D. Robb, #4) Julie Garwood, #7) Judith McNaught, #8) LaVryle Spencer

The remaining authors on the list are (in order of rank) Linda Howard, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Georgette Heyer, Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick, Jude Devereaux and Mary Jo Putney.

5. Tell me one of the very first eight winners of the Miss California crown ~ who went on to represent at the Miss America contest.

For 10 Points:
Virginia Donham (Miss California 1935, San Francisco, Semi-Finalist in Miss America); Blanche McDonald (Miss California 1933, Los Angeles, 1st Runner-up); Aloha Porter (Miss California 1926, Venice, National Finalist); Phyllis Randall (Miss California 1937, Hollywood, Semi-Finalist)

Faye Lamphier, Bertha Wiezel, Phyliss H. Dobson and Claire James were the remaining queens --- none of which (reportedly) had breast augmentations, either.

The Results!

50 Points! .... brandz_mygirl & szabs
45 Points! .... maninmidohio & Mugaboo

The gentlemen got unseated by a sandwich , by the looks of it. Hearty congratulations! to brandz_mygirl and szabs!

#498361 - Wed Oct 28 2009 04:31 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
denni19 Offline

Round 22 [Thursday] is now closed, but you will have to bear with me and wait a few days for the results to appear.

I've been (and still am) without Internet at home for almost a week now and I can't afford to 'play' too much while at work.
So...there'll be no Thursday round posted tomorrow - I sincerely apologize.

Thank you!

#498362 - Wed Oct 28 2009 08:46 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Argh . I'm late with Round 27 yet again! Well ... that's not to say that I've ever been late with Round 27 before, specifically. Just every other Round I've need to prepare lately. Never fear, though. It'll be up today sometime. And I apologize for my reigning sloppiness.

#498363 - Wed Oct 28 2009 12:48 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 23 – Results

We had five great researchers enter the Long Island Round. Thanks to all for participating.

1. Please give me the census population for Long Island for any year from 1820-1900.

For 10 Points:
56,978 (1820), 379,788 (1860), and 540,648 (1870)
For 5 Points: 743,957 (1880) (2)
Not Chosen: 69,775 (1830), 110,406 (1840), 212,637 (1850), 1,029,097 (1890), and 1,452,611 (1900)

2. Please tell me the name of a duck farm (or ranch) mentioned in the article located here or the caption on one of the postcards used to illustrate the article.

For 10 Points:
Dinner at the Swift Stream Farms
For 5 Points: C&R Duck Farm (2) and A.B. Soyars Duck Farm (2)
Not Chosen: Swift Stream Farms; A.J. Hallock's Atlantic Farm; Firt duck farm, The Largest Duck Farm in the World; After Dinner; Feeding Time; Long Island Duck Farm, Riverhead; Long Island – The Big Duck

3. From the official web site of the Long Island Ducks look at the current roster and tell me a pitcher for the team.

For 10 Points:
Ron Flores, B.J. Lamura, and Ken Ray
For 5 Points: Julio Manon (2)
Not Chosen: Jim Brower, Troy Cote, Jake Dittler, Randy Leek, Jason Morderum, Jason Olson, Bill Simas, and Joe Valentine

4. Please tell me one of the 10 stations located on the Oyster Bay Branch of the Long Island Railroad.

For 10 Points:
Glen Head
For 5 Points: Sea Cliff (2) and Albertson (2)
Not Chosen: Oyster Bay, Locust Valley, Glen Cove, Glen Street, Greenvale, Roslyn, and East Williston

5. Please tell me either a commander for either side during the Battle of Long Island or a current commemoration of the battle that lies outside of Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

For 10 Points:
Israel Putnam, William Alexander, and Charles Cornwallis
For 5 Points: Prison Ship Martyrs’ Monument (2)
Not Chosen: The Minerva Statue, Old Stone House, George Washington, William Howe, and Henry Clinton

The Results:

With 40 Points: PDAZ, szabs, and Mugaboo
With 35 Points: brandz_mygirl
With 25 Points: Gatsby722

With everyone matching everyone else in this round, when the dust settled we had a three way tie for first place. The coveted October FunTrivia point will go to PDAZ, szabs, and Mugaboo for a great job in landing on top. Special recognition goes to Gatsby722 for having all of his great answers matched in this round. I hope to see all of you for my next round when we further explore my adventures in the Big Apple.

#498364 - Wed Oct 28 2009 04:07 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 28th October round
Q1. Something you grow in the garden.
Q2. A section of the Funtrivia Forums - e.g. The welcome centre (The Welcome centre isn't allowed now!
Q3. A type of fruit
Q4. A embroidery stitch
Q5. Something associated with Hallowe’en
This closes on Monday!

#498365 - Wed Oct 28 2009 05:47 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 27 ~ Tuesday (yesterday ...)

Yet another mash-up of miscellany that drifted into my brain as I was paying attention to matters large and small this week!

1. To start, I have to address a film I've been hearing about for months (but especially lately, since it's scheduled to open next week). The plot [based on an allegedly true story, no less] follows a reporter who lucks onto an especially fascinating story: he meets a special forces operator with an intriguing new mission in his back pocket. Said agent reveals his twenty-year involvement in a top secret, psychic military unit and shares details of their activities, each more bizarre than the last (including staring at goats in order to stop their hearts psychokinetically). Four A-List actors star in the movie, too. So please tell me the first or last (not both) name of a character played by Ewan McGregor, George Clooney, Kevin Spacey or Jeff Bridges in the soon-to-come feature film The Men Who Stare at Goats.

2. Halloween is close at hand, yes? Dress up the kids, send them begging ! Despite that it seems to have become a sadly more dangerous night of merriment over time, it's still a great deal of fun to masquerade and act all "spooky", yes? Over on CNN Money's website there's an article titled Top 2009 Halloween Costumes: Dead Celebrities --- and you can read it, if you wish. I won't require it, though. What I will need you to find there is a box on the right side of the page, a bit of the way down, that lists the "Top Halloween Costumes For Kids". Just tell me one of 'em, OK?

3. I've never seen even two seconds of the program (and don't plan to) but on many Halloween lists one will find that Kate Gosselin's hair-do (she of "Jon & Kate Plus 8" on the TLC channel) is crazy popular this year, in the 'costume department'. It's the ugliest hair I can think of to top somebody's head who seems to be all over the television, too, what with she and Jon's outrageously ugly, media-heavy divorce in the works and being 'covered' constantly. I couldn't care less about her, him OR her hair ... but I can see it all out tricking and treating, I reckon. The program is one of those *reality* things, the cameras following the two (misbegotten) parents and their eight brats. OK, I meant "offspring" - a set of twins and a set of sextuplets. Kindly tell me the name of one of those Gosselin children.

4. On the local (Cleveland, Ohio) morning news yesterday I caught two rather large chefs standing at a table FULL of these massive sandwiches! And I mean, well, massive as in as big as a human adult's head! Made perfect sense that, as they cooked up one, they explained that they ran the nearby *Fat Heads Saloon*. The original saloon is located on Carson Street in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (and that's the relevant location for purposes of this question). On the 'Headwiches' section of their menu you will find a sandwich called The Fuddwich. Please tell me any one ingredient (meat, cheese OR condiment) that they put on The Fuddwich at Fat Heads Saloon! P.S.: the sandwich those guys made looked delish, too -- albeit too large to get one's mouth around without causing physical pain and/or injury ...

5. Another weird and everywhere news story in the USA. This one involves a dude named Steve Phillips, a former American baseball analyst for ESPN and a former baseball executive, too. He served as the general manager of the New York Mets from 1997–2003 and worked as a baseball analyst for ESPN from 2005 until his dismissal on October 25, 2009 after admitting to having sex multiple times with a production assistant at the network. This was all murky enough until the girl he was sleeping with (half his age, by the way) didn't like it when he dumped her and she soon after started stalking his (um?) wife and family . She's now fired, too, o' course, and likely will be facing criminal charges. The big news? Ahem ... he now claims he suffers from being a sex addict and is off to rehab, where he hopes to get cured. A good start might be for him to get honest about it. His history indicates that he really does have a problem If you ask me, though? It's called being a horny middle-aged womanizer, not an addict of any sort . At any rate, would you tell me any former Analyst that has been on ESPN's "Baseball Tonight" ~ and don't use Steve Phillips as an answer there, eh?

This will close Monday evening! Have a fine today, wherever and however you're spending it!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Oct 30 2009 05:54 AM)

#498366 - Fri Oct 30 2009 05:44 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 30 Friday

1. Benito Amilcare Andrea Mussolini , was made the 40th prime minister of Italy on the 30th of October, 1922. Credited with being one of the key figures in the creation of fascism, in 1925 he began using his title of Il Dulce (the sweet one). He was well known for his love of women, apart from being married several times he had innumerable brief sexual encounters with female supporters. From the wiki page please give me the name of one of his wives or mistresses or the name of one of his children.

2. On the 30th of October of 1938, Orson Welles broadcasted his radio play of H.G. Well’s “The War of the Worlds”, it was an episode in the anthology series of the Mercury Theatre on the Air. The first two thirds of the broadcast was presented as a series of simulated news bulletins, which suggested to the listeners that there was an actual Martian invasion in progress causing quite a bit of anxiety among his audiences. This episode brought Orson Welles notoriety and instant fame. Please give me the title of a film in which Welles had an actual part in from 1934 to 1954 (no narrations).

3. Michael Woodruff performed the first successful kidney transplant in the UK on the 30th of October 1960, he was well know for his research into organ transplantation and rejection. He performed the transplant in the UK, at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Woodruff had been waiting for the right patient for some time, hoping to find a patient with an identical twin to act as the donor, as this would significantly reduce the risk of rejection. The patient found was a 49-year-old man suffering from severely impaired kidney function who received one of his identical twin brother's kidneys on 30 October 1960. Both twins lived an additional six years before dying of an unrelated disease. From this image of a kidney , please give me one of the parts of the kidney.

4. The Bosphorus Bridge , is one of the two bridges in Istanbul, Turkey, spanning the Bosphorus strait and thus connecting Europe and Asia (the other one is the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge, which is called the Second Bosphorus Bridge.) The bridge is located between Ortaköy (on the European side) and Beylerbeyi (on the Asian side). It is a gravity anchored suspension bridge with steel pylons and inclined hangers. The aerodynamic deck is hanging on zigzag steel cables. The bridge was completed on 30 October 1973, one day after the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Republic of Turkey. From the wiki page, please give me any technical detail about the bridge, mentioned in the box on the right.

5. Henry Franklin Winkler was born October 30, 1945, he is an American actor, director, producer, and author. Winkler is best known for his role as Fonzie on the 1970s American sitcom Happy Days. "The Fonz", a leather-clad greaser and auto mechanic, started out as a minor character at the show's beginning, but had achieved top billing by the time the show ended. The show ran for ten seasons from 1974 till 1984 on ABC. Please give me the title of any episode in Season 1 of Happy Days.

This round will end on Wednesday the 4th of November. Just pm me if you have any questions, and in the meantime have a great weekend and a Happy Halloween .

#498367 - Sat Oct 31 2009 04:45 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

Wednesday 28th October round
Q2. A section of the Funtrivia Forums - e.g. The welcome centre (The Welcome centre isn't allowed now!
Q3. A type of fruit
Q4. A embroidery stitch
This closes on Monday!

Plenty of room in my In-Box!!

#498368 - Sat Oct 31 2009 05:15 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 31 - Saturday 31st October

1. The first paved road found was constructed 6000 years ago in the Indus Valley, but the first great road builders were the Romans. Name any Roman road in Italy, that doesn't reach Rome.

2. Roads never really got much better than the Roman ones, until John McAdam, built a road in Ayrshire using three layers with the smallest grade on to (Alloway-Maybole). McAdam was on many Turnpike trusts, indeed the roads were so bad after King James V attended a wedding in Sorn, he threatened to send anyone he didn't like to a wedding in Sorn. Please name a turnpike road in Ayrshire, built before any turnpike road went through Sorn. (11 to choose from).

3. The addition ot tar to the mix, came in 1901, when a barrel of tar had spilled onto the road. As it was near the Denby ironworks in Derbyshire, Edgar Hooley put some waste slag from the furnaces, and discovered world's first tarmacadam surface. (Although Baghdad had it's streets paved with tar in the 8th century.) Denby was also the birthplace of the first Royal Astronomer. Please tell me the name of any Royal Astronomer.

4. Riding on roads was a lot more comfortable after the invention of Pneumatic tyres by Robert Thomson Please tell me anything that Robert William Thomson patented or developed.

5. Nowadays asphalt has taken over from tar in road construction. Asphalt (or bitumen) is one of the products of fractional distillation. Please name a substance that comes out of a distillation tower.

The round will close noon (FT time) Thursday.

#498369 - Mon Nov 02 2009 02:54 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 28th October results
FOR TEN POINTS:
Red currents, Sweet Peas,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Sunflowers (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Roses and more!

FOR TEN POINTS:
Photo-a-Day & Photography, Current events, Bookworms, The World Around Us,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Games and Challenges and more!

Q3. A type of fruit
FOR TEN POINTS:
Chirimoya, Mango, Guava, Pomegranate,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Strawberry and more

Q4. A embroidery stitch
FOR TEN POINTS:
Coral stitch, Cobbler stitch, tent stitch, Breton stitch,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Cross stitch and more

FOR TEN POINTS:
Spider’s Web, toffee apples, horror films, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Trick or Treat and more

SCORES
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Maninmidohio – 45
Szabs – 45
Well done to Brandz_mygirl and Mugaboo

#498370 - Tue Nov 03 2009 03:25 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 27
"This and That"
Four terrific players !

1. So please tell me the first or last (not both) name of a character played by Ewan McGregor, George Clooney, Kevin Spacey or Jeff Bridges in the soon-to-come feature film The Men Who Stare at Goats.

For 10 Points:
Bob, Wilton
For 5 Points:
Hooper (2)

The characters are Bob Wilton, Lyn Cassady, Larry Hooper and Bill Django.

2. What I will need you to find there is a box on the right side of the page, a bit of the way down, that lists the "Top Halloween Costumes For Kids". Just tell me one of 'em, OK?

For 10 Points:
Disney Princess, Pirate, Spider-Man, Tinker Bell

Witch, Vampire and Batman (and a couple others) were on that list, too.

3. Kindly tell me the name of one of those Gosselin children.

For 10 Points:
Aaden Jonathan, Joel Kevin
For 5 Points:
Hannah Joy (2)

Cara Nicole, Madelyn "Mady" Kate, Alexis Faith, Collin Thomas and Leah Hope round out the remainder of the crowded Gosselin dinner table ....

4. Please tell me any one ingredient (meat OR condiment) that they put on The Fuddwich at Fat Heads Saloon!

For 10 Points:
Salami
For 5 Points:
Corned Beef (3)

One might bite into large amounts of Turkey, Provolone Cheese, Swiss Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion and/or Hot Chili Pepper Mayonnaise as well.

5. At any rate, would you tell me any former Analyst that has been on ESPN's "Baseball Tonight" ~ and don't use Steve Phillips as an answer there, eh?

For 10 Points:
Jeff Brantley, Ray Knight, Tino Martinez, Brian McRae

Dusty Baker, Larry Bowa, Dave Campbell, Rob Dibble, Jim Kaat, Mike Macfarlane, Harold Reynolds & Bill Robinson were also analysts on the program.

The Results!

45 Points! .... maninmidohio
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo and szabs

Yay ! maninmidohio takes the win this time ~ his option of salami did the trick! Well done, everyone. Thanks for playing!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Nov 03 2009 04:55 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002