Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#498371 - Wed Nov 04 2009 04:02 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 30 will close in about 5 hours, veterans and newcomers are more than welcome.

#498372 - Wed Nov 04 2009 02:45 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 30 is now oficially closed, answers will be out tomorrow morning.

#498373 - Thu Nov 05 2009 12:27 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 31 - 4 played

1. Name any Roman road in Italy, that doesn't reach Rome.
For 10 points: Via Aemilia; Via Aemilia Scaura; Via Canalis; Via Postumia
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Via Domitiana; Via Popilia; Via Severiana

2. Please name a turnpike road in Ayrshire, built before any turnpike road went through Sorn.
For 10 points: Ayr to Irvine; Irvine by Stewarton towards Pollockstoun; Kilmarnock by Kilmaurs to Stewarton; Stewarton to Whitehouse
Not mentioned include: Irvine to Saltcoats; Ayr by Galston towards Strathaven

3. Please tell me the name of any Royal Astronomer.
For 10 points: Nathaniel Bliss; Sir Martin Ryle; Sir Francis Graham-Smith; Sir Arnold Wolfendale
Not mentioned include: Edmond Halley; Sir Frank Dyson; Richard van der Riet Woolley

4. Please tell me anything that Robert William Thomson patented or developed.
For 10 points: Elastic belts, seats and other supports or cushions; Improvements in obtaining and applying motive power
For 5 points: Road Steamers [2]
Not mentioned include: Elastic wheel tyres; Guiding road streamers on street tramways; Steam omnibuses

5. Please name a substance that comes out of a distillation tower.
For 10 points: Natural Gas; Paraffin Wax; Silicon; Vapor
Not mentioned include: Aviation fuel; Feedstock for catalytic cracker; Lubricants

Scores:

50 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722
45 points: Maninmidohio; Szabs

Coming along the road, each with a point in hand are Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby722. Well done.

#498374 - Thu Nov 05 2009 12:55 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 30 Answers

Four wonderful players participated in the round dedicated to the 30th of October.

1. Benito Amilcare Andrea Mussolini , was made the 40th prime minister of Italy on the 30th of October , 1922. He was well known for his love of women, apart from being married several times he had innumerable brief sexual encounters with female supporters. From the wiki page please give me the name of one of his wives or mistresses or the name of one of his children.

10 Points to all : Rachele Guidi, Bruno, Ida Dalser, Anna Maria
Among others: Benito Albino, Margherita Sarfatti, Clara Petacci

2. On the 30th of October of 1938, Orson Welles broadcasted his radio play of H.G. Well’s “The War of the Worlds. This episode brought Orson Welles notoriety and instant fame. Please give me the title of a film in which Welles had an actual part from 1934 to 1954.

For 10 Points : Trent’s Last Case, Macbeth
For 5 Points : The Lady from Shanghai (2)
Among others: The Black Rose, Prince of Foxes, Citizen Kane

3. Michael Woodruff performed the first successful kidney transplant in the UK on the 30th of October 1960, he was well know for his research into organ transplantation and rejection. He performed the transplant in the UK, at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. From this image of a kidney , please give me one of the parts of the kidney.

For 10 Points : Renal Pelvis, Major Calyx
For 5 Points : Renal Pyramid (2)
Among others: Renal Papilla, Ureter, Minor Calyx, Renal Medulla

4. The Bosphorus Bridge , is one of the two bridges in Istanbul, Turkey, spanning the Bosphorus strait and thus connecting Europe and Asia. The bridge is located between Ortaköy (on the European side) and Beylerbeyi (on the Asian side). From the wiki page, please give me any technical detail about the bridge, mentioned in the box on the right.

10 Points to all : Width 39 m (128 ft), Clearance below 64 m, Material: Steel, 1,510 m (4,954 ft) length
Among others:

5. Henry Franklin Winkler was born October 30, 1945, he is an American actor, director, producer, and author. Winkler is best known for his role as Fonzie on the 1970s American sitcom Happy Days. Please give me the title of any episode in Season 1 of Happy Days.

10 Points to all : In the Name of Love, Because She’s There, Give the Band a Hand, Breaking Up is Hard to Do
Among others: Fonzie Drops In, Hardware Jungle, Knock Around The Block

Scores

We have one winner with a perfect score of 50 : Maninmidohio
With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl & Mugaboo
With 40 points: Gatsby722

A hearty congratulations goes out to our winner in this round Maninmidohio , he will receive a much wanted trivia point for the month of October. Thank you to all for playing in this round, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#498375 - Sat Nov 07 2009 04:42 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 22Thursday - RESULTS

5 dedicated players sent in their answers for this round. Thank you all very very much!

1. Please pay a visit to the official website of Dublin, Ohio and have a look at their "City Services". You'll find an interesting page that deals with Mosquito Control. From that page, give me one of the bulleted advices about how to prevent mosquitoes by eliminating breeding sites.

10 points ALL:

- Properly dispose of old tires
- Remind or help neighbors to eliminate breeding sites on their property
- Use sand to plug holes in trees where water can collect
- Drain or fill low areas on your property that hold water for more than three days but are not located in a roadside drainage ditch or stormwater drainage easement area
- Empty bird baths twice weekly

2. Michele Santelia from Italy is the record holder for most books typed backwards. From HERE give me one of the numbers that reflect Michele's unusual accomplishment. (number of pages, books, words, etc.)

10 points: 3,503,013 words; 23,198 pages; 499,554 lines

5 points: 263,931 paragraphs [2]

Not mentioned: 67 books; 19,760,936 characters

3. Please go to Beppu City GUIDE website and pick one of the Hot Springs they have listed in there.

10 points: Kannawa, Hamawaki, Kamegawa

5 points: Myoban [2]

Not mentioned: Beppu, Horita, Shibaseki, Kankaiji

4. From This Page please tell me a part of the submarine named in the photo/drawing.

10 points: Sail Planes, Radio Antenna, Rudder

5 points: Propeller [2]

Not mentioned: Sail, Periscope, Stern Planes

5. Please tell me one of the rare fancy varieties that are mentioned on the Wikipedia "Goldfish" page.

10 points ALL: Mirror-scale goldfish, Shukin, Egg-fish goldfish, Curled-gill goldfish, Panda Moor

The RESULTS for Round 22 are:

With 50 points: Gatsby and Mugaboo

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl, Szabs and Maninmidohio

One October point each, for a perfect score, goes to our gentlemen winners: Gatsby and Mugaboo – Well done you two!

#498376 - Fri Nov 13 2009 08:03 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds 2009
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Here are the results for the month of October :

1) brandz_mygirl (13 points)
2) Mugaboo (9 points)
3) Gatsby722 (8 points)
4) maninmidohio
....szabs (both 7 points)
6) denni19 (3 points)
7) PDAZ (2 points)
8) zorba_scank (1 Point)

Year-to-date:

1) brandz_mygirl (71 points)
2) Mugaboo (69 points)
3) szabs (66 points)
4) maninmidohio (62 points)
5) Gatsby722 (57 points)
6) denni19 (55 points)
7) deepakmr (40 points)
8) leelee63 (8 points)
.....PDAZ (both 8 points)
10) deputygary (7 points)
11) Bikoz
......Lizard_Wizard
......physalius
......Skylar7
......Tredici (all 2 points each)
16) Chessart
......Gemini19
......Santana2002
......Watchkeeper
......zorba_scank (all 1 point)

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Nov 13 2009 08:05 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ozzz2002