Topic Options
#498917 - Tue Oct 06 2009 06:31 PM Interview wtih Kyleisalive
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New�York�USA�...
Runway_Drive
What made you come across FunTrivia?

I Google searched 'Simpsons Trivia' about five and a half years ago and found Crumbworks' 'Simpson Chronology' quizzes. I played those and found my way to a membership. A month later I wrote my first quiz and got hooked. Nowadays, you attach the word 'trivia' to pretty much any Google search and you get our site.

Ing
Why Kyleisalive? Was there ever any doubt?

There's always doubt. Kyleisalive was a 'temporary' username I'd used once before on an interactive gaming website (the games there no longer exist). I keep wondering how I'll change the name when I'm dead, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. It's literally what it is: 'Kyle is alive'. Perhaps it's a warning.

BxBarracuda
Tell me about the area you live in and the area you go to school in, good points, bad points and are there any hot spots that people get together in big groups.

I go to York University; I'm in my second year of studies going for an Honours Degree in English. Coincidentally, fellow editor Leodavinci (who actually went to University of Toronto) does some of his studies here as well. I'm actually in a lecture typing this at the momentI know it's counter-productive. I live off-campus in Toronto in a house with many other people. I emerge for classes and pub night.
It's nice to live close to the city; I've lived in the country, the 'big town', and now this. It's nice to be close to everything. It's the city- everyone's everywhere.

BxBarracuda
Has being on FunTrivia caused you to change you mindset regarding how you viewed the rest of the world and if so, what was the most shocking difference?

My motivation on the site has been to enlighten and to hone a craft. I enjoy writing and I want to write as a career (amongst other things). Working on FT is a huge blessing. There are tons of great people on the site and it really makes me remember why I enjoy submitting and editing, but there are also people out there who will submit a quiz with no grasp on the website, or for that matter, the English language. Nonetheless it makes me realize that there are like minds around the world.

BxBarracuda
You have written many quizzes, is there any one that stands out in your mind that you didnt at first think you could write a quiz on, that ended up being one of the ones your remember the most?

Maybe 'Rapping Christmas Gifts'. Rapping- not a strong suit. I've realized that I can write a mighty good General quiz though. Most of the quizzes I've written that have been given the thumbs up have been in General and I don't really feel that I give it enough of my attention. I tend to get more responses from those than any other. As much as I love the Video Games category as it's just one of 'those niches', I'm writing for the players. I want to see this site grow. I want to submit to Video Games just as much as everything else because I want to flesh out the options for everyone. Just as much as I get comments on movie quizzes, I get some in VG from authors who never expected the coverage. That feels good.
The great thing is, I like being pushed out of my comfort zone mores now than ever because it pushes me to better quality quizzes. The challenges are great for that, and I think it's a big reason as to why the Commission is taking off.

One more thing, getting the acceptance for editing in Music has opened me up to that category. Up until last year, I'd only written maybe two Music quizzes. Now, I have a bunch on the way. Just open your minds- there are so many approaches to take with quizzes that haven't been done, and they'll be welcomed with open arms.

BxBarracuda
The Challenges and quiz author lounge seem to fit perfectly for you. Your quiz commissions have been a big hit as well. What is the trickiest thing about running the quiz commissions and what would you do if 100 people signed up to take part in one?

The trickiest thing is making sure that everyone is satisfied and that everybody gets it finished. With more and more people signing up, it makes me feel great to see that people are all set to contribute. When they're in progress, I literally spend my time looking over shoulders. I know the progress for all of the commission quizzes at most times just to make sure it's all in order. I really love to see the results- we've had some great submissions (some of which got ECs). With 100 people, it'd be great. I'd be more than happy, albeit I'd have my hands full. The only problem is making sure I don't move forward with new challenges before people get sick of writing or overwhelmed.

BxBarracuda
What is the first video game system and game you ever owned and do you still play that system and game anymore?

SNES (even before my NES). I still play all the games. SNES was one of the best consoles ever made. Nintendo is awesome with retro gamers- what with the Wii and DS, all of the classics are coming back. I think any video game fan (or not) should find something good to say about the new 'Mario' game coming out this holiday season. So classic!

BxBarracuda
What is your favorite genre and style of video game, favorite series and game in particular?

Platforming (which is basically like an adventure game) like Super Mario or RPG (role-playing game) which requires a bit more intensity and attention. I like to enjoy complex stories or just have a good time. Survival-Horror is also a big thing for me, but I find them to be quite under-appreciatedthen again, I'm a big horror buff in movies.
Favourite game series are 'The Legend of Zelda' and 'Silent Hill'.

BxBarracuda
Do you take part in any recreational sports, which ones are you better at and which ones do you enjoy the most?

I'm not the sporting type. No interest. Not even in video games. :P

BxBarracuda
Your favorite sports team is in the playoffs and are on T.V., you just bought a new video game you have been looking forward to playing but havent yet, you have a brainstorm as to how to finish a quiz your stuck on and your favorite reality T.V. show is about to start. Which of those four options would you chose to do, how would you rank the other three in terms of importance and why?

I hate to say finish the quiz, but I would. Of course, I'd be writing the quiz about the TV show I'm watching.
My reasoning? The game can be played at any timeI have so many to even begin that I can't even begin to imagine beating them all. TV will always be re-run, released on DVD, etc. In Canada, I despise the fact that we have no impact on American ratings. Great shows are falling off the page because everybody illegally downloads, and we've lost some real gems. Three or four years ago, 15 million people was a modest amount of viewers for a TV show- now, some shows are getting by with 4 million per week. You know what this means? This means the networks are going to throw more "Melrose Place" at you. Support real TV!
Sports are at the bottom. Half the time, its too cold up here to go out and play sports.

Ing
What's the silliest injury or illness you've ever had?

I really dont think Ive been careless enough to have a silly injury per se. Definitely caught chicken pox a couple years ago thoughDecided to go in to work not realizing Id contracted the disease, got through my whole shift (despite people telling me to leave) and then took the next two weeks off work. Always a joy.

Ing
As a student of English, an aspiring writer AND an FT Editor (oh my!) what's your view on the issue of having to learn the rules (of grammar, spelling, form etc) before you can break them? (for example, I don't know "the rules" from my elbow, but I sure know when I'm breaking them!)

Grammar isnt a steadfast rule. If theres one thing Ive learned from FT, its that most people will make the same, old mistakes as youd expect, but there are some people who really dont have a grasp on any structural Englishand then there are times when a quiz comes in with grammatical errors and I cant actually understand whats being said. Always a good thing
If theres one thing I learned from studies, its that grammar is a guidelines; its advised. Rules can be broken sometimes. You can start a sentence with and and it will still make sense. It all requires moderation. You shouldnt be starting paragraphs with And or Because, but you cant be barred from logically starting sentences with it. I also learned that people dont know what the heck to do with a semicolon. It goes between two sentences! Its a stylistic choice; its not a necessity.

Salami_Swami
Kyle, you are nearing 1,000 quizzes written. Most likely we will throw you a party. But will you do something special outside of FunTrivia to celebrate?

Im afraid my celebration will be internal. Ill certainly be satisfied and happyperhaps Ill buy myself a drinkor a cakeor both. Youre planning a party?! Can I come?

BxBarracuda
What are some of the recent shows that have had short lives on T.V. and you would have liked to have seen continue on. I dont think my vote in regards to T.V. shows counts either, a couple of recent Monday night shows I started watching never caught on, and didnt make it through a full season.

First off, everybody really needs to buy the three seasons of Arrested Development. The movies out next year and you all need to see it. Its positively the wittiest show ever made. Too good, really.
Recent shows? Fear, Itself was already canceled, but its more of a guilty pleasure. If people dont step up now, Heroes is going to fade away (perhaps its a good idea at this point though). People should be watching Dollhouse for a mindless view, but its too late to save it. Dont watch The Cleveland Show. I want FOX to learn its lesson.
Really, what I want people to do, is to find the popular scripted shows out there right now and stick to them. Scripted (and GOOD) TV is hard to find now, and were losing viewers on Fringe, Lie to Me, and others in lieu of Dancing With the Stars. Keep watching House, The Mentalist, and Glee. Please keep these shows on the air!

BxBarracuda
What is your favorite type of location for vacations?

Home. No place like it.
I do, however, want to go overseas. I want to visit Iceland, New Zealand, Australia, most of Europe, and certain parts here within Canada.

BxBarracuda
What is your favorite meal and are you able to prepare a good version of it yourself?

I am not good at cooking. I live with people who can cook for me if I supply the necessary ingredients, but the best thing I can make is Cajun Chicken Alfredo. It sounds like what it is. I highly enjoy spicy foods.

BxBarracuda
I see you have done some quizzes on the Amazing Race, I have followed that show since it started; the first finish line was only about five miles from where I grew up. Which season was the most memorable to you, who are some of your favorite teams and do you think Phil wants to slap some of the contestants when they get to the mat sometimes, if they act rude and out of control during that leg of the race?

Nothing compares to the early seasons of the show where teams actually traveled around the country. In recent seasons, teams have flown to major cities and performed every task (literally one Route Info clue, one Detour, a Road Block, and a Pit Stop) all within the city borders. Older episodes had intermediate tasks in between and it made for such better programming.
As much as it was tragic, the 8th season, commonly regarded as the Family Vacation season, was memorable for its horrible premise, but it went to Toronto. I saw places I pass by daily. Kinda cool.
Im saying right now, in season 6, Phil wouldve slapped the one guy, Jonathan, who yelled at his wife Victoria for coming in second in Germany. He was on the verge of hitting somebody. Phil calmly said I think you need to speak to your partner, and that was all. Amazing. On the other hand, theres nothing worse than when Phil gets teary-eyed at the mat when somebody gives an extremely motivational speech. Charla, the little person, from season 5 was an example when she and her partner were eliminated inone of those African countries. Or when he eliminated the eight-year-old girls family in Guatemala in season 8.

BxBarracuda
Have you ever tried out or sent in an application for a reality show?

If not, which would you consider trying out for?

Have not and probably will not. If I did, Id sign up for The Amazing Race, The Mole (now cancelledshoulda kept watching that too, guys!), or Murder in Small Town X (also cancelled, but long ago).

BxBarracuda
If you were to write a novel, if you havent already started, what would it be about and what would the most important thing that would influence the direction of the novel?

Itd probably be a mystery novel. Ive already gone over a very rough draft, no more than about sixty pages, of whats going to happen, but I need to flesh it out. I tend to take a more satirical edge. Its all out in longhand, so Ill probably do all this in the transcription onto my computer. Id also enjoy writing horror.
A lot of things influence what I write- I tend to throw in a lot of pop culture references

Edited by Pagiedamon (Sun Nov 18 2012 09:47 PM)

#498918 - Wed Oct 07 2009 08:54 AM Re: Interview wtih Kyleisalive
romeomikegolf Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Rothwell Northants EnglandUK
Do you think there is a major difference between American English and the 'original' version that we over this side of the pond use? If so, would you like to see the two versions amalgamated, and why?

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#498919 - Wed Oct 07 2009 10:36 AM Re: Interview wtih Kyleisalive
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I wouldn't say there's a major difference in terms of the variations. Here and there it's clearly noticeable, but it's really no cause for alarm. Every once in a while, we'll see correction notes from players stating the 'right way' to write certain words.

I don't think an amalgamation is necessary- the variations help to establish each respective country's national identity. Especially on a site like FT, it demonstrates our diverse author base. I do think, however, that players need to be aware that there are variations though.

#498920 - Wed Oct 07 2009 11:14 PM Re: Interview wtih Kyleisalive
Forum Champion

Just saw the major irony in me writing "its that grammar is a guidelines; its advised."

Epic fail. *headdesk*

#498921 - Thu Oct 08 2009 10:58 AM Re: Interview wtih Kyleisalive
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
Washington USA
Kyle, as a student myself, I've often felt the pain of having to choose between FunTrivia and the real world (well, the ivory tower version, anyway). How do you manage editing, commission running, and your magnificently prolific quiz output? Do you make time to write every day?

#498922 - Thu Oct 08 2009 11:47 AM Re: Interview wtih Kyleisalive
Forum Champion

Quote:

Kyle, as a student myself, I've often felt the pain of having to choose between FunTrivia and the real world (well, the ivory tower version, anyway). How do you manage editing, commission running, and your magnificently prolific quiz output? Do you make time to write every day?

A number of my quizzes, I'm sure, have been a result of blatant procrastination. Either I find the time to write the quizzes or I subtly put them ahead. It's probably not the best idea, but i find I work better at school when I'm pushed to a point where I need to get the work done under a confined schedule. Don't get me wrong, I still get my work done- it's very important, but I usually find myself strolling back onto FT well before I finish the work. I don't write everyday per se, but I do have a very large number of templates at the ready in case I want an option.
I enjoy all of it- it's a hobby and an obligation to me, and I thoroughly take pleasure in writing, editing, and maintaining.

#498923 - Fri Oct 16 2009 06:52 PM Re: Interview wtih Kyleisalive
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
Very nice interview, Kyle! Who's up next?

#498924 - Tue Oct 27 2009 11:01 AM Re: Interview wtih Kyleisalive
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New�York�USA�...
First off, congrats on both reaching your 900th quiz and becoming a moderator on the chat boards.

Do you have anything special planned for your 1000th quiz?

and

Let's say you were a betting man, what month and day would you bet on, for the day your that 1000th quiz went online, hypothetically of course?

#498925 - Tue Oct 27 2009 11:28 AM Re: Interview wtih Kyleisalive
Forum Champion

No ideas yet on what I want to do for it. I was thinking of something with an orchestral choir...maybe some pyrotechnics. I've been trying to contact Cirque du Soleil for a while. There's no telling what'll happen.

Picking a month or day...July.
Not sure though.

Moderator:  rossian, sue943