Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#499955 - Mon Oct 19 2009 09:15 PM U2 live on youtube.
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
SMH story

Quote:

Irish rock megastars U2 say their upcoming concert at the Pasadena Rose Bowl in California will be streamed live on YouTube.

It can be watched live in 16 countries: Australia, Brazil, Britain, Canada, France, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Korea, Spain and the United States.

The band has wanted to do something like this for a long time," U2 manager Paul McGuinness said in a statement on the band's website.

"Fans often travel long distances to come to see U2 -- this time U2 can go to them, globally," he said.

YouTube said Sunday's concert will be streamed live on the U2 channel at the video-sharing site.

"YouTube is thrilled to be able to provide our global audience with a live streaming performance from one of the world's greatest bands," Chris Maxcy, director of YouTube partner development, said in a blog post.

YouTube has been experimenting with more live events as Google seeks ways to turn the video-sharing site it purchased for $US1.65 billion ($1.77 billion) in 2006 into a money-making venture.

AFP

Very cool!

But I wonder about that highlighted comment. Would it be in the form of advertising or would it be a pay per view kind of thing? Hmm.

#499956 - Tue Oct 20 2009 01:48 AM Re: U2 live on youtube.
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Durham, North Carolina USA
I saw them in concert here, on Oct 3. They were amazing! I would definitely suggest watching if you can.

We had Muse as an opening band, and they were fantastic.

#499957 - Tue Oct 20 2009 10:14 PM Re: U2 live on youtube.
tim10001 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Concord
  California USA   
Yes, very cool indeed!

I don't think you have to worry about it being a pay per view kind of thing, Copago. YT will make their money on embedded ads on the live stream.

I think the band sees it as a advertising vehicle to sell their new album, and we get to see them for free, so win, win, win all around!

Here is their vid to promote the live streaming event. I will definately be watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2xae9dcAVg&feature=player_embedded

Edited by tim10001 (Tue Oct 20 2009 10:19 PM)

#499958 - Fri Oct 23 2009 01:19 PM Re: U2 live on youtube.
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I saw them in Toronto, and it was, by far, the best live music performance I have ever seen. I was in the inner circle of 'the claw' as well, so Bono and Edge were literally 6 meters away from me. I highly recommend for all to watch it if you have the time because even my friends who were sitting in the upper deck had an amazing time.

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher