Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#505262 - Fri Dec 25 2009 09:26 PM Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Loc: Grayslake
Illinois USA    
A friend recently bought me a reconditioned (Scratch & Dent) Dell 546 mini-tower PC with Windows 7 installed. I assumed it would be easy to move my Comcast Cable Internet connection from my old PC (eMachine 600MHz with Windows ME). It hasn't been, and it still won't work. I've spent a week so far off and on with Dell, MS & Comcast (phone and web sites). Each disavows any responsibilty for the problem, although Dell offered to fix it for $100 to $250.

Initially, I got numerous Error 651 messages when trying to establish the internet connection. Various notes on this error on various web sites indicated that replacing the raspppoe.sys file with a different copy would solve the problem. I had no common media of transfer between my PCs, but I had my friend snail-mail me a DVD with the replacement file which I emailed him. I finally replaced the file after numerous 'Access denied' problems. At least I learned about Takeown & Icacls. Still no joy. I now get Error 797 - modem not found.

Notes on this problem indicated that Virtual PC 2007 needed to be uninstalled. I don't have that program on my system so that isn't my problem.

I figure that it is actually something very simple that I've done or not done. One point that bothers me is the ID & Password that the Broadband connection requests to set it up. Comcast says that there is no ID or Password required. Windows 7 doesn't seem to let me leave them blank.

I was a programmer for 30 years, but my knowledge is 10 years out of date. I welcome any suggestions, links or other help from you brilliant people. If you need any additional info just ask. I could have included much more here, but I'm not sure what is important and what is not. I'll probably try another round of phone calls soon, but I'm not looking forward to them. I am learning a lot about Windows 7 in the mean time. I never used XP or Vista so many things are quite different from Windows ME.

Merry Holidays & Happy PC Trivia!
Immortal #4, #8, #15, #18, #6, #6, #5, #5, #4, #7, #4, #12, #15, #48, #26, #19, #__, #__, #16 (GC2-20)
Who Am I? Editor since June 17, 2008 - June 30, 2013

#505263 - Sat Dec 26 2009 02:17 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I haven't got Windows 7 installed at present but some things aren't very different from XP, so I'll try to help.

Are the network components installed OK? If not, that should show up in Device Manager. Are there any exclamation marks or question marks showing in there?

#505264 - Sat Dec 26 2009 06:03 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
The problem seems to be in the WAN miniport (PPPOE). It says the driver signature cannot be verified Code 52.

The driver is the raspppoe.sys file that I replaced. Is there any way to get around this error?

I'll try putting the original driver back and see if the same error occurs.

Later:
Replacing with the original driver gives the same error. The System Attribute had gone away. Putting that back did NOT change the error message. I'll try replacing the driver from the Drivers & Utilities DVD that came with the system to see if the error changes.

Thanks.

Merry Holidays & Happy PC Trivia?

Edited by JMElston (Sat Dec 26 2009 06:24 AM)
Immortal #4, #8, #15, #18, #6, #6, #5, #5, #4, #7, #4, #12, #15, #48, #26, #19, #__, #__, #16 (GC2-20)

#505265 - Sat Dec 26 2009 05:09 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
w2ge Offline
Participant

Loc: Voorhees NJ USA       
If it were mine, I would try to install a aftermarket NIC card (with it's own driver, they're very reasonable) and see if this is a work-around cure...

It's possible the on-board NIC is no good and the driver issue will just not fix it. See if you can get a cheap 3rd party NIC card (we get them for like 8 bux, try Newegg) and this may solve the issue.

Type in "adapter" in the search field BTW to get at the network adapter properties, IPCONFIG, etc... (if I remember correctly.. I'm on an XP machine right now., win & at work) As was stated you need to have all the networking properties installed.. but as you stated this is the driver(?)

#505266 - Sat Dec 26 2009 05:24 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
w2ge Offline
Participant

I'm also wondering if removing the PPPoe protocol might solve your problem..

I'm thinking that protcol is not necessary with your connection and is just hosing you up????

You need TCP/IP DHCP for internet with COmcast. WIN 7 directions below:

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

If the above solution doesn’t resolve the issue then try to uninstall and reinstall the network adapter driver on your computer.

1. Locate the Windows Menu in the bottom left corner of the task bar.

2. Select Control Panel from the Menu.

3. Click the System icon to proceed.

4. When System and Security is selected from the Control Panel view, select Security.

5. Click Device Manager from the left hand menu list.

6. The Device Manager will display all installed and “found” hardware on the computer.

7. Find the Network Adapters Category and click the "+" to the left.

8. The Network Interface Controller (NIC) will be listed if installed. Right click the adapter used, select Properties

9. Navigate to the Driver tab in the NIC Properties.

10. Selecting the Uninstall button will remove the existing driver from the device manger.

11. Confirm the Uninstall.

12. Return to the Device Manager, select the Scan for Hardware Changes button. The NIC will reinstall automatically.

Note: You need to create a restore point on your computer and check for the issue you are facing on your computer to do that you need to follow the steps provided below.

#505267 - Sat Dec 26 2009 09:33 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
Great suggestions. Thanks. However:

My troubles got worse this morning. I figured that I would install my Lexmark multi-functiion (5400 series) printer on the new PC. I've had the printer for two years and I've been unable to use it on my old PC, because they weren't compatible. The printer install trashed something in Windows 7. The OS moved back to an earlier state to recover and there are bugs & blue screens everywhere now.

I may have to buy another copy of Windows 7 to make it all work correctly. The system came with 3 DVDs total (Windows 7 Home Prem installed by Dell) Operating System, Drivers & Utilities, & a MS Works DVD. I hope the OS reinstall & Drivers-Utilities are enough to get me back to the simple problem state I had before. I figure if I ever get the new PC to connect to the internet I can get a new printer install from Lexmark via download.

I toyed with installing a copy of Windows XP on the new PC, but the copy I have probably is almost 8 years old and may not support the SATA disk drive or the 16X DVD among other problems. So I won't try that.

Merry Holidays! Happy PC Trivia??

#505268 - Sat Dec 26 2009 11:49 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
w2ge Offline
Participant

JM,

Those disks should get you back to a clean
install. Probably not a bad idea... WIN 7 is usually so stable and now your getting BSOD's!!! Wipe/reload will at least take out of the quotient a hosed op. sys.

It may fix your connection problems also... If your okay with it, wipe/reload is a good way to go.

#505269 - Sun Dec 27 2009 07:26 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
I'll probably do the reinstall later today. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your assistance.

Merry Holidays & Happy W7 Trivia!

#505270 - Sun Dec 27 2009 08:24 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
w2ge Offline
Participant

Oh, BTW... That sign-in nonsense you kept getting IS due to PPPoE protocol being installed.

If it wasn't for the BSOD your now getting I would say just remove the PPPoE protocol and that should do the trick...

BTW, I "think" in WIN7 TCP/IP is now IPv4 and also (maybe- it's an option) listed as IPv6 in networking properties.

Not a problem, this is helping me, too. I haven't run into any internet problems yet with WIN7 and.. "this is the way you learn." I own a PC business on the side and I work it myself two days a week when I'm not at my "real" job! ;=)

#505271 - Sun Dec 27 2009 11:28 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

As said, I don't have W.7 installed at present (computer not quite up to it) but I did have some trouble getting online with it. My original question was based on that. Well, you never know.

In my case, a clean installation of Windows 7 didn't install a driver for the network components (or onboard card). Running the motherboard installation disk wouldn't install the driver. Trying a compatibility mode didn't help. What did work was to go into Device Manager, choose the 'Update Driver' option and then point it to the motherboard installation disk. Once the driver installed, it was then possible to configure the connection and get online (cable broadband), nothing else necessary. Windows 7 then checked for updates and updated the driver automatically.

I noted the IPv6 option in W.7 but chose IPv4 and all was well. I'd have to reinstall W.7 to be a bit more descriptive about that ...maybe soon .

I'd agree about the clean installation. Once you get to the 'Blue Screen' stage it's the best action in my opinion and often the quickest too. When you do get everything up and running, as I'm sure you eventually will, I'd recommend making a disk image. Then, if anything ever leads you down the slippery slope to blue screens, virus infections etc, you'll be able to easily restore the complete working OS, programs and settings to pristine condition.

#505272 - Mon Dec 28 2009 02:10 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
I didn't think I could get to a worse state. I was wrong, of course. I finally tried to reinstall Windows 7. I selected Upgrade rather than Custom, since it seemed to be easier. After an hour or so and getting to step 5, about 80% through it. I got a message saying the upgrade failed. It reloaded the old files. At this point a BSOD flashed by and the screen went black. The light on my PC went from blue to orange (good to bad). I waited awhile longer. Nothing happened. I powered the PC off/on. It now won't boot in Safe Mode. I Get a BSOD. Trying to boot from the reinstall DVD gives me a message saying there is a check-sum error on the DVD and it is not bootable.

I can't seem to find a way of ejecting the DVD. Various writeups indicate that a paper clip inserted into a hole on a CD/DVD drive will release the tray. I don't find such a hole on my drive. I'll have to call Dell at this point and see if they can suggest any solution. I do have that copy of Windows XP that I might try, if I can get the drive open.

The CD/DVD is a 16x RW drive supplied by Dell. I can eventually find out the mfg, of course.

I'm glad my old PC is still working. Any suggestions?

Merry Holidays! unHappy PC Trivia!

#505273 - Mon Dec 28 2009 05:30 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Have a word with Dell to see what they say but I think you will have to find a way of getting the disk out with the computer turned off (that small hole is usually there). Then turn the computer on again with the disk in the open tray. It should close as the computer powers up. If everything is set up in BIOS for the computer to boot from the DVD, you should get the option to do that. Choose 'Custom' when the option arrives and see if the installation is accepted. This would be a clean installation that clears all existing data and starts afresh.

If you get trouble during that procedure there could be a fault or, if you don't get the option to boot from the disk, a setting that needs altering in the BIOS. However, I think you need to see if you can boot when the disk is presented at computer switch on.

#505274 - Mon Dec 28 2009 07:26 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
"Various writeups indicate that a paper clip inserted into a hole on a CD/DVD drive will release the tray. "

Pardon the interruption. This comment comes from a lay person when it comes to computers. However, I have found that when I tried to insert a paper clip to get a DVD out of the drive, that little itty bitty hole wasn't exactly on the drawer that comes out, but just below it, still on the drive though.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in as it sounded as though you were trying to find the hole in the drawer itself.

I'm very glad we have these people who will help out with our computer problems. My apologies if I have just muddied the waters.

#505275 - Mon Dec 28 2009 01:45 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
Thank you for the info & suggestions. Using a strong light & magnifying glass (my eyesight leaves something to be desired) I located the release hole under the tray 1/3 from the right edge. I'm glad I had a paper clip. I found it on the ground a month or so ago and picked it up. Reinserting the disk let me boot up on the DVD. I'm trying a Custom install on the Primary partition now with fingers & toes crossed. I'll let you know what happens next.

Merry Holidays & Happy Windows 7 Trivia!

#505276 - Mon Dec 28 2009 02:42 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I'm glad I had a paper clip. I found it on the ground a month or so ago and picked it up.

Nice to have a bit of good luck amongst the bad. Who'd have thought it would take the form of a found paper clip.

#505277 - Mon Dec 28 2009 02:44 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
w2ge Offline
Participant

JM, go with CLEAN install... I even like to delete the partition, repartition and then install. If you continue to have problems after this... I would really start to suspect hardware issues of some sort. Just in case, as last resort, re-seat everything... swap memory around, etc... THEN B*TCH at DELL ;-) If that doesn't do it, throw a bomb in it!

#505278 - Mon Dec 28 2009 04:25 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
I'm beginning to suspect a possible memory problem. The latest was during the reinstall of the Drivers & Utilities DVD. The PC was at a selection page after a step or two. I had to go away briefly. As I was coming back to the PC, I saw a brief flash of blue screen then it went to black. The power indicator went from blue to orange (or is it amber?) and mouse or keyboard gave no response. I'll try something later. Is there a supplied memory diagnostic in Windows 7?

Merry Holidays! Happy Memory Trivia!

#505279 - Mon Dec 28 2009 05:18 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
The light is described as "amber" and most often when the power light goes from whatever color it normally is to either a flashing or solid amber it is indicating a general hardware failure. That could be video card, memory, power supply, motherboard,anything hardware related.

If it turns on and runs for a while, that seems to point toward power supply. But I'll let someone else weigh in on that, as I would just be guessing.

Good luck.

#505280 - Mon Dec 28 2009 06:01 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Well, if the clean installation failed (needed to be tried) then there has to be a hardware problem of some sort. Does the computer have a guarantee? If so, it could be time to use it I think. You have tried all that you can reasonably be expected to try.

#505281 - Mon Dec 28 2009 06:21 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
The PC has a year warranty, but I don't want to send it back unless I really have to. As a 'reconditioned' PC I assume they tested it extensively before sending it out. I will probably try the memory reseat/swap, since shipping & handling could have caused the memory to move around in their sockets. I'll look further for a memory diagnostic. I will let you know what happens next. I have to get to other things at the moment. Tomorrow is another day. Thanks again for the help.

Merry Holidays! Happy Hardware Trivia?

#505282 - Tue Dec 29 2009 12:55 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

I'm sure it will have been tested but electronic equipment can suffer from intermittent faults. It's possible to think a fault has been put to bed only for it to appear at a later date. I can't see much harm in looking inside the computer to make sure nothing has become unseated during transit. However, those sockets really do grip, so unless something wasn't seated down before it left Dell, then perhaps it won't be that.

Does the computer have a seal on the casing? I wouldn't like to see the guarantee voided by going inside. Did you have anything plugged into the external sockets while reinstalling? If so, it might be worth another reinstall attempt without them plugged in.

Edit: ..apart from what's absolutely necessary to run the computer of course.

Edited by tellywellies (Tue Dec 29 2009 03:26 AM)

#505283 - Tue Dec 29 2009 09:26 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
There is no warranty seal. I did open the case a few days ago to see what I could install, mediawise, to transfer files. The Internet cable was the only non-necessary thing plugged in during the reinstall. I will try some more things later today.

Merry Holidays! Happy PC Trivia?

#505284 - Sun Jan 03 2010 09:25 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
How did all of this end up, JMElston?

#505285 - Mon Jan 04 2010 09:39 PM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
JMElston Offline
Prolific

Illinois USA    
I really haven't tried anything new yet. Other things have intervened. I will try the memory reseat and/or swap tomorrow.

Could the Dell 'energy saving' feature have problems? I assume that I can turn off the feature. I noticed that several times after I had to leave the new PC running for some time with nothing running other than Windows 7. I would come back to it and the monitor would be in the 'energy saving' state and the power light would be amber. Of course, power or memory problems could cause this also.

I'll report my progress here. Thanks.

Happy? PC Trivia!

#505286 - Sat Jun 19 2010 01:04 AM Re: Windows 7/Dell 546mt/Internet connection help
marry321 Offline
Learning the ropes...

It sounds like you have done some troubleshooting already but have you tried swapping out the ethernet cable between pc and modem I always recommend that in instances like yours i have seen funky cables cause issues more than once

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29