Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#509091 - Sat Jan 23 2010 10:10 PM This week's theme is My collection
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I looked through your suggestions and felt that this one of Lady 1's might be good. Thanks for the nice W pics by the way. They certainly caused a "wow" as someone said already!
So maybe you collect frogs, foreign dolls, shoes, anything really.
Bring 'em on!

#509092 - Mon Jan 25 2010 10:44 PM Re: This week's theme is My collection
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
This is just a very small selection of the 150+ postcards I have collected since joining a postcard exchange website last May. They usually live in a large 4-up album.

I have always liked postcards, and had a few already, and used to send lots when I lived in Spain, but it has only really become a collection recently.

#509093 - Tue Jan 26 2010 02:05 AM Re: This week's theme is My collection
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

I collect thimbles - probably a natural consequence of my other hobby, which is sewing. It's not an easy hobby in a place like Australia as collecting thimbles is not particularly popular and almost all Australian souvenir thimbles are much the same - white ceramic with a small coloured photographic disc glued on the front. Boring! (You can see several examples of that style in the second row from the top).

Over here, if you ask for thimbles in places like souvenir shops, they often look at you like you have two heads. Occasionally I can pick up interesting ones in places like second-hand and antique shops. Thimble collecting appears to be far more popular in the U.K. and America - all my favourite thimbles come from there.

Anyone out there interested in trading?

#509094 - Thu Jan 28 2010 02:06 PM Re: This week's theme is My collection
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
It is the custom in France to eat 'King's cake' (galette des rois) in January - a sinfully delicious puff pastry cake brimming with butter and filled with the most delightfully bad-for-you frangipan filling (almond, icing sugar and cream). In this cake you find a 'fève' which originally was a bean, but nowadays is a small porcelain figurine, about 2cm big. The person who finds the fève in their slice of cake is named king for the day, in memory of the three kings who visited Jesus in Bethlehem in January.

I absolutely love these miniature figurines which can come in all shapes and styles, from traditional crib figures to Super Mario, cartoon characters, vehicles, maps or anything else you can dream up.

Here's a shot of a small portion of my collection. As these things are really very cheap it's easy to build up a selection.

I have a teeny collection of thimbles MG, mostly ordinary porcelain or souvenir ones (also because sewing is one of my hobbies), but these three owls are the stars of my collection. Would you be interested in some ordinary French souvenir thimbles for your collection? (or Irish ones for that matter, I'm sure I could get my hands on one or two)...

#509095 - Fri Jan 29 2010 05:16 AM Re: This week's theme is My collection
Dotb Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oswestry Shropshire UK       
I don't collect anything but I can appreciate the effort you have all put into your collections. They look wonderful. Those three owls sure are stars, Santana.

#509096 - Fri Jan 29 2010 07:07 PM Re: This week's theme is My collection
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:

Would you be interested in some ordinary French souvenir thimbles for your collection? (or Irish ones for that matter, I'm sure I could get my hands on one or two)...

Reply by PM.

#509098 - Sat Jan 30 2010 09:24 AM Re: This week's theme is My collection
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
What a unique collection, Jake!

I couldn't think of anything else, so here's part of my shoe/sandal collection.

#509099 - Sun Jan 31 2010 01:10 AM Re: This week's theme is My collection
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
This theme was sparse, but very sweet and thanks to all the people who put their collections on view. I am told that some of us are happy as it led to an increase in their content!
Since Chinese New Year is coming I have decided to introduce first the theme of "RED" as it is the lucky colour for the festival. The following week or two(depending on popularity) I think it will be "Chinese New Year". I think most areas of the world celebrate or at least have places where they can find evidence of the celebration of this wonderful, highly colourful feast. So eyes open, shutters ready, lets go!

Moderator:  flopsymopsy