Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#539719 - Mon Jul 12 2010 06:19 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Ah, just checked in and I am happy to see you back, Gats!

#539720 - Fri Jul 16 2010 02:17 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Deunan Offline
Explorer

Loc: Colorado USA
How are you doing, Gatsby?

#539721 - Mon Jul 19 2010 09:47 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Glad you are back Gats and pleased to see you have not lost your sense of humour.

#539722 - Mon Jul 19 2010 09:57 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
redwood Offline
Explorer

Loc: California USA
Hey, Gats, you got my best wishes via messaging, but just wanted to add it here as well. My first post on the forums, since my return after my long absence! I'm going to poke around here in the forums, and see what you've been up to!

#539723 - Thu Jul 29 2010 11:10 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Just a quick update to wrap this all up (so far, anyway). I got my staples -- what ever happened to old-fashioned 'stitches', I wonder? -- out yesterday after my first follow-up with my surgeon. That was a lovely thing, indeed. Those things itch like the Dickens after a month in place . It WAS kinda funny ... the nurse said: "Since these have been in so long it might hurt a little to pull them out. Just take a deep breath ..." It only took a moment for me to observe that, if that is what she calls *might hurt*? Bring it on, sister . That felt like nothing! I think I've ruined my barometer as to what pain is, at this point. Which might be a good thing, as time travels? Short of having my head chewed off by a hungry polar bear, I don't think I'll ever 'define' pain in the same way, ever again. Something (like a chewed off face, maybe ) might hurt worse than June 2010 did in Gatsbyland, but if so? It doesn't scare me to consider, these days.

More rehab down the pike. I'm allowed to put full weight on the left leg now, and am permitted to try to take a step or two (sans walker) in the next six weeks. My doc ~ who I [affectionately and respectfully] refer to as a peculiar mixture of Dr. Mengele and Dr. House ~ says I'm officially disabled for three months. But, after that? He's sure I'll be back on my feet. Whew! I got to see the x-rays today, and my left side is now a crazy-looking mix of hinges and metal rods. L-o-n-g metal rods, too. So three months makes sense. And the odds, in my case, are better than good. Despite some malfunction, built-in, going in I'm bound to beat the odds when it comes to broken hips. I was very curious about that part, and wasted no time asking before I even had the surgery. It really IS true that 80% of patients who have broken hips die within a year (or so I was told). But that's because the *hurt* of it stops them, they stop trying. As a result they develop all sorts of problems, usually pneumonia. And they're usually considerably older than I am, too. Me? I'm an obedient fool, most days . So I'll try to keep moving, and will manage to. Hell, one nurse (honestly) told me: "OK, so you may not play tennis again. BUT -- you will be able to watch a match, cheer on your favorite, and NOT have to fear being so feeble that you'll fall off the bleachers!" I'm good with that . I'd pretty much known that long before this happened, anyway.

Again, thank you all for all the positive thoughts! Looks like all is going well, and I'll be [slightly] kickin' for a while.

#539724 - Thu Jul 29 2010 11:43 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Mate, it all sounds very positive, but with all that metal in you, please be careful of water. We do not want you to rust!

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#539725 - Fri Jul 30 2010 12:28 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
MarchHare007 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

Good to hear you have an All Clear, Gatsby. Keep on Line Dancing (you can use a walker) - you'll be fine! *cheeky grin*

Don't know about rust but any plane travel may be Very interesting!

#539726 - Fri Jul 30 2010 01:51 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

Don't know about rust but any plane travel may be Very interesting!

or working near compasses. Remind me not to take you with me when I go out with my metal detector.

#539727 - Fri Jul 30 2010 02:50 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Shakes head in bewilderment, you are one truly amazing guy, after all that you have retained your wonderful sense of humour.

I am not sure what to make of the three months 'officially disabled' does this mean some fight in the future for recognition again that you have an illness which isn't going away?

#539728 - Fri Jul 30 2010 04:19 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I guess I had better not approach you with any sort of a magnet then? Great to see you're well on the road to recovery

Edited by Santana2002 (Mon Aug 02 2010 04:31 AM)

#539729 - Sun Aug 01 2010 08:56 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
MomOf2 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
Glad to hear you are recovering well, the worst of the pain is behind you, and the itchy staples have been removed.

#564764 - Wed Nov 10 2010 06:36 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Well, really. I never thought I'd be posting here on this thread again. But I must update, I guess. I really thought this hip surgery business was done. It was fixed, life would travel along. But I had a visit with my surgeon today, and saw the new X-rays. He's such a beast, really, that I was shocked at the look on his face --- my God, it/he looked mostly human (very uncharacteristic). And it looks like my bones down there aren't healing right enough to maintain the metal. The metallic parts will likely break? Which, I reckon, means the bones down there will, too. I have a CT scan to get this all official next week ... but the likelihood is that I'll get to have hip surgery again. And I, truly, don't think I can do that. The pain was mostly manageable, but to be knocked off your feet, almost entirely, for four months? Then to do it again? And I think I just lied. The pain was NOT manageable. And what's to say the next 'metal' will fit any better?

Anyway, that's my newsflash. Nuthin' major. I think the worst that could happen, now, is that I'll get to spend Thanksiving in a bed. Not a bad thing. That hospital serves awesome food ~ I'll bet they go all hog wild with it on holidays.

#564765 - Wed Nov 10 2010 06:39 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Aw Gats frown That blows!

#564770 - Wed Nov 10 2010 06:52 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Ditto what gg says.

#564774 - Wed Nov 10 2010 07:06 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Oh dear... how bad can luck get? frown

#564786 - Wed Nov 10 2010 08:36 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
Oh that is sad news.I am sure you will do what is right.I know we will all be behind you in your recovery and surgery.
Just think of all of us in there with you making sure the docs do a good job.
Am thinking of you.

#564802 - Wed Nov 10 2010 10:14 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I'm trying to pee on your fire. Is Canton down hill from here? Good luck with the CAT scan amigo.
_U_
_O_
_Y_
___
_R_
_E_
_E_
_H_
_C_

Cheer you up.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Nov 10 2010 10:15 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#564809 - Wed Nov 10 2010 10:27 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I wonder if you have actually mentioned just how painful the last lot was? Do not be a martyr and say it was bearable when it just wasn't. That guy needs a dose of the truth. If he knows that he may be able to alleviate it this time.
I just want you to get it over, my dear friend, and if it means lying still then do what they say. As Bonnie says, we are all here for you and if you can reach a keyboard you will be fine.
Take care, chin up.

#564814 - Wed Nov 10 2010 10:57 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Oh my....that's bad frown I just hope and pray things will be fine with you soon.

Take care!

#564816 - Wed Nov 10 2010 11:07 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
cydonia325 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Stepford New York USA        
Aw, that really is awful. I really am sorry, and you as ren said, you have every right to complain, and you should ask as many questions as you can think of, because something sounds a bit off for the hardware to break so soon after your surgery...

You have so many people who care and worry about you; please keep us informed if you have to return to hospital.

I wish there was something that would help with the pain. frown

#564871 - Thu Nov 11 2010 04:28 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Gee Gats, I am so disappointed for you to read this :((( What a bu **er of a situation, damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

PG this time they'll get your sorted for good!!! Lots of thoughts for you flying over the miles ...

xx

#564874 - Thu Nov 11 2010 04:51 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
This is really really bad and sad news. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers for the situation to get sorted out quickly and with best results.

Take care Dave!

#564876 - Thu Nov 11 2010 05:55 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
Best wishes from Beatles land. I hope all goes well and you'll be running around again soon.

#564877 - Thu Nov 11 2010 05:58 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Oh Dave, what are we going to do with you?

You take care.

#564894 - Thu Nov 11 2010 07:01 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Not been posting as much as usual lately, but good thoughts and well wishes for a amazing person. We're all here for you, Gats!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943