Terms of Use

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#564904 - Thu Nov 11 2010 07:35 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New�York�USA�...
I'm sorry to hear you received such bad news.

What are the options other then more surgery?

#564912 - Thu Nov 11 2010 08:10 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
ozfei Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Deception Bay QLD�Australia...
Sending best wishes and healing thoughts your way.

#564982 - Thu Nov 11 2010 10:34 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Awww Gats, really sorry to hear this. frown

#565030 - Thu Nov 11 2010 12:11 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina...
I'm sorry to hear that, Gatsby frown Sending best wishes your way. Take care!

#565068 - Thu Nov 11 2010 01:18 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
StarfishTwo Offline

Loc: East TennesseeUSA
All we can really do is say we're here for you. Sometimes that seems like so little. But we are here for you.

#565200 - Thu Nov 11 2010 05:14 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Nannanut Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wollongong NSWAustralia
Rotten news. Look after yourself.

Editor: Movies, Celebrities and General

#565287 - Thu Nov 11 2010 08:11 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
MarchHare007 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Jilliby NSWAustralia

How very frustrating and annoying Gatsby.
I can understand your initial reaction and I'm happy to see you feeling more positive. smile

Awesome food for Thanksgiving while you're laid up sounds just the thing.

Sometimes replacements don't go well, for whatever reason.
This time I'm sure all will be well.

Healing thoughts and hugs your way. smile

#565634 - Fri Nov 12 2010 03:23 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
OhioUSA
Yeah, I don't think anything was done wrongly on the first surgery. Darn it, too! I'm thinking I could use a healthy settlement after a lawsuit about now grin. It was funny yesterday -- they called to tell me that my CT scan was scheduled not in the office, as originally planned, but in the actual hospital now. Whaddya think (lol)? This way, if the results are crappy? They'll just roll me into a room upstairs and alert hospital security (since they all likely know, by now, I'd skedaddle if given a choice). But, really. I almost hope they DO elect to gracelessly manhandle this hip again. I can just tell it's not right. Today my knee was swollen and I couldn't get my foot into a regular grown-up shoe. There's really nowhere to go, when dealing with stuff like that. And I can't even stand the prospect of sitting here, like this, forever. So I'm cool with getting fixed (again), I reckon. It can't possibly hurt as much as the first time did, I'm pretty sure. That time he had to (basically) rebreak the hip because I waited so long to go to the ER. This trip I've been the picture of obedience. And, sigh. Thanksgiving in a hospital, huh? Well, I suppose I'll just feel all thankful that I get to spend it anywhere. However? They'd best not serve me white turkey meat in there. THAT might get me all fired up wink. I get the drumstick. Write it down.

#565698 - Fri Nov 12 2010 04:15 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
Yes sir! smile

#565852 - Fri Nov 12 2010 05:29 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Sorry to be late on this, Gats. Hope everything works out well xx

#565853 - Fri Nov 12 2010 05:30 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
SOTHC Offline

Loc: AylesfordKent EnglandUK
We will be thinking of you Dave. When I was in hospital recently, there were a couple of guys with mechanically rebuilt broken bones and they had to have surgery to replace the bits of meccano due to metal fatigue. They said that it wasn't as painful the second time round. Keep us informed of your progress as we are all rooting for you.

PS. Demand an ostrich drumstick as that will keep you going for days and you could use the remains as a crutch

#565879 - Fri Nov 12 2010 07:03 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong HongKong
Dave we need to know the name of the hospital so we can send you silly cards about chasing nurses and jokes about bedpans. We also need it to complain if they don't give you utterly royal treatment especially over Thanksgiving.

#565882 - Fri Nov 12 2010 07:39 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Chocolate City Wisconsin�USA
Thinking my best, most positive thoughts for you, Dave, for a comfortable and speedy recovery!

#565929 - Sat Nov 13 2010 02:07 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
Hi Gats - I've been in a similar position to you, although with a break half-way down the femur rather than the hip. Trust me, you do NOT want to risk that metal breaking because that is no fun at all - it sounds to me as if you don't really have a choice. I do sympathize - having to face going back to square one is depressing, but once you get past the operation the only way is up. I spent Christmas in hospital and it was good fun (apart from being stuck in bed) - everyone makes a real effort to ensure the patients have a good time and I'm sure Thanksgiving will be the same for you.

#566005 - Sat Nov 13 2010 11:42 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, MalagaSpain
Hiya Dave - Sorry I haven't seen this before, I am realy sorry to hear your bad news, Thanksgiving in hospital is a bummer, but I am sure it will be well worth it when you come out all better again. I wish you all the best of luck - and get well quickly - sending you many hugs.

#566777 - Mon Nov 15 2010 04:30 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area CaliforniaUSA
Awww, man! Well, {{{{{{Dave}}}}}} hugs to you. Being in the hospital is never fun, but on a holiday? Bummer! But I bet that this will fix you up good this time and you will feel much better with a new and improved hip. You know we will all be there in spirit with you, and we will flay those dietitians with a wet noodle if they give you anything less than the most magnificent, Betty Grable caliber drumstick on the planet. smile

#637105 - Sun Jun 26 2011 03:28 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
OhioUSA
[-Insert big gap of time * here-] Not that I needed to dredge up an "oldie" this morning, but I felt a follow-up might be polite. Every now and then, I try to be polite wink. I never had the surgery done on the (possibly) faulty hip insert. Mostly, it came as due to the fact that I had no insurance to cover the costs of it. Naturally, had it been an issue for the manufacturers of an 'off' aparatus, the company who flubbed it would have been responsible. But I'd have needed some insurance, and a solid recommendation from a physician, to even get on the table. Nobody's in a rush to see if somebody might have done something wrong, so I got slid into a different direction of handling matters. In America, I guess, no insurance means "low life" bum. Enough of hearing that I decided that if they want this alleged "low life"? I'm your man (dammit). But I'll be a low-life with some fire in 'im - no need to tell them how lukewarm said fire is burning these days. I started in October 2010 to go the route of getting SSI, a Social Security supplement, that would get me a medical card. The fraud in the program runs crazy rampant, so I avoided it for years. Mostly because I knew that, given the weeding out of applicants to get rid of the cheats, I was looking at a long and probably humiliating haul. What an ordeal it was! To me, it seemed that I'd have an easier route. They didn't know this, but I've had a rough time on my legs for some six or seven years now (broken hips regardless). I didn't have to fake anything to make it appear worse! Not so. A lot of doctors, red tape, being looked down on (which I've hated to be done to since I was two). And it went in bureaucratic circles for months. ALSO, I had to whittle my assets down to next to nothing, so that I might qualify. I'm not kidding --- I almost lost my dwelling! You can't have any money, can't earn any money during the qualification period? How's that work? For 10 months? Where's the rent come from? The stress was like an aggravated elephant in the room for nearly three annual seasons. But (as some around here might know, or vaguely remember) I got characteristically fired up properly and finally got the medical card. It was so funny, in a sad way. I'm up there at this squirrelly-looking guy's cubicle, a squirrel in charge of my fate, I might add - and he's doing my paperwork. He got my birthday wrong on his form?! For some reason, that sent me over-the-side. I squawked about that and his only (and apparently sincere) response was: "No problem. That line is only a formality." Say what? I went off a little. All I could think to say was "I'm sorry, but it's not just a formality to me. Look, man ~ I have nothing left, at this point, and I know I'm at your mercy. But *please* don't get my birthday wrong, as you document things. That's mine, if nothing else!" He didn't care.

So as I whine about the better (dreadful) parts of a distracting year? Seems I beat the odds, and I got my benefits (after working and paying taxes for a quarter of a century) a couple o' weeks ago. Only one official physical, as opposed to the typical five. Somebody decided that I wasn't faking anything (I DARE them, anyone, to try to fake this as well as I live it). Do I ever expect to walk right again, now or even before all this? No, I don't. But if I break something again? I can get a bed. I'll take my progress in fits and starts.

Which means things are semi-solid in Gatsbyland at the moment. Which also means that there is hope. And (I've learned it well) without hope? Ain't no reasons to consider much of anything. And I'll shut up about all of it now. I promise smile.

#637106 - Sun Jun 26 2011 03:51 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Glad to hear you got the medical card, Gats. It's ridiculous how easy it is for some to abuse the system, and then when someone honest and in true need comes along, it's difficult to get it done. I really isn't surprising, but I'm sure it must have been immensely frustrating.

Anyway, glad to hear it's taken care of now and you got the card.

#637107 - Sun Jun 26 2011 03:51 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
A timely reminder to us Brits that paying for treatement is not one of our problems. For all its many faults the NHS usually gets there in the end. I still have metal in my femur but at last the bone has healed. It took nearly ten years and five operations to get there but at last I can now walk without a limp or pain, although my knee creaks occasionally (and without warning). I hope things look up for you soon, Gats.

#637124 - Sun Jun 26 2011 07:56 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Glad to hear you got through that part of your ordeal, Gats.

I find it a little odd to think of abuse of the system - surely there aren't that many people who get surgery they don't need just for the fun of it? Yes, it's a reminder to those of us with universal health care that even with all the flaws in the system, all you need in order to get treatment is to be sick.

#637136 - Sun Jun 26 2011 09:32 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart:Paris
Dave--I feel terrible. I had no idea you sustained such a terrible accident. If I paid a bit more attention I would have sent you my expressions of concern and caring when appropriate.

These are overdue but carry with them the same sincere wishes for a speedy recovery and my apology for being so careless.

Rich (Vendome)

#637158 - Sun Jun 26 2011 10:09 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
Oh Dave.

#637241 - Sun Jun 26 2011 03:16 PM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong HongKong
Terrible indeed that you should be treated so shamefully. What difference are Mr Obama's reforms to the health system making?

#637350 - Mon Jun 27 2011 01:54 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Here's hoping you're well on the road to recovery Gats!

#637410 - Mon Jun 27 2011 09:10 AM Re: Get Well Soon Gatsby
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg ManitobaCanada
Sorry to hear of your troubles, hope they're all over now. Speedy recovery Gats.

Homer Simpson

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943