Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5585 - Thu Mar 07 2002 11:41 AM Name Dropping - Who have you met?
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
What celebrities have you met?

I went to a book signing and met George Carlin.
When the Monkees were in town my mom and I snuck into thier hotel and we met Davey Jones and Peter Tork.
But my favorite was when I met John Inman, I was eight months pregnant and he suggested I name my son John. We sat in the greenroom and watched an 'Are You Being Servd' marathon and he told me all about the episodes and little tidbits about it, it was so cool.

#5586 - Fri Mar 08 2002 12:11 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
angel32281 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: PA
I met Ashton Kutcher from "That 70's Show" at the NBA All-Star Game in Philly this year. He was just stading behind me in the hot dog line talking on his cell. I got his autograph too!

#5587 - Fri Mar 08 2002 12:26 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
Tony Randall. He was here for the tour of "Damn Yankees."

#5588 - Thu Mar 07 2002 02:14 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
sparky2512 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Peterborough UK
As a lot of my work used to be in and around the London area, I got to meet quite a few famous faces, so here's just a selection of my favs:

Richard Burton & Tony Curtis while asking directions for somewhere. We ended up having a few drinks and I ended up leaving my van and getting home on the train

For those of you who know George Best, I once sat on his loo, but it was in the middle of the street at the time. he was in the process of moving.

I rewired David Bowie's house in Chelsea. What an awesome music system. While this job was ongoing I also met Bill Wyman of the rolling Stones.

But my all time fav was while working in kensington, I dropped my hammer down some steps, and who was there to pick it up for me? None other than Madonna. We ended up having a Baguette and coffee at a cafe round the corner. What a terrific lady.

#5589 - Thu Mar 07 2002 03:22 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
LordAndry Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Los Angeles
California USA
Well, I know Lord Andry.
He's this really great guy.

Anyhoo,
Dennis Franz picked up my jacket that I dropped in the Oakland Airport...he's pretty cool.

I met Cherry Poppin' Daddies and talked to the band members at a concert.

Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green of Buffy fame.

I've seen many others...then again...I live in LA.
but that don't count cause I didn't meet them.

Like the time I was at Lucque's
and I saw Patricia Arquette, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Robert DeNiro and Renee Zellwiger...all in that same restaurant.
pretty cool!

for livin' in LA...I sure haven't met very many celebs.

#5590 - Thu Mar 07 2002 03:30 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Sparky!! You had lunch with Spike Milligan ... surely thats got to rate a mention!!

Won't mean much to a lot of you but I got to meet a bunch of cricketers over the years .. eg Bob Simpson, Stork Hendry, Joel Garner, Malcom Marshall, Tony Greig and a few others. And also a few Rugby League players ... Keith "Golden Boots" Barnes came to my grandfather's funeral. But all of these was when I was a kid, nobody famous since then.

#5591 - Thu Mar 07 2002 04:01 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
sparky2512 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Peterborough UK
That's true Copago, but having mentioned it once I didn't want to repeat myself.

#5592 - Thu Mar 07 2002 04:22 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Darling14 Offline
Participant

Loc: Scotland
erm ... like year ago i loved boyzone
And i meet keith duffy from there!
Thinking back i don't know why i liked them

#5593 - Thu Mar 07 2002 04:31 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Can I add a "Part 2" to the original question?

What did you think of the people that you've met? Were they nice in person? Were they actually jerks? Did they live up to the "being" that the world makes them out to be?

As for Tony Randall, I found him to be a very sweet, gentle man. He was very interested in the people that he was speaking to and seemed to be just as nice in person as he's always seemed on the screen. And, Felix seems to be just as tidy, too!

#5594 - Thu Mar 07 2002 05:00 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Pinhead has met Pinhead! Where is she? She can tell us all about him.

#5595 - Thu Mar 07 2002 05:11 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
allynellie Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ayrshire Scotland UK      
i grew up in Beckenham in south east london and a lot of local celebrities seemed to hang around or live around there, so i met (some of these are tentative tho'):

Mari Wilson in the local record shop KMK - remember her song 'just what i've always wanted'..? she had a beehive..? oh well, she WAS famous for a while, honest!!! she was really nice

the Krankies at a charity football match - they were ok

John Yip (who played the chinese detective)he was ok

One guy from 'On the Buses' who kissed me on the cheek. he was funny

Peter Duncan (a la blue peter) who went to my primary school. he was ok

Jeffery from Rainbow when i belonged to the 'zippy laugh fan club' at uni' - this was funny cos when i saw him i also saw Paul Coia and Debbie Greenwood with him and asked paul coia if he went to paisley tech college like me cos he looked so familiar - everybody laughed at me (i think this should go into the most embarrassing moment thread too!)jeffery was VERY tanned, and nice too, but very tanned !!!

Shatrugan Sinha - a bollywood film actor - at Heathrow airport

Madhur Jaffrey at the Glasgow Film Theatre - i asked her a question and gave my mom her autograph

Nisha Ganatra an american-indian young director emailed me about a film that she directed that starred Madhur Jaffrey

i spoke to KITT at universal studios (that's a little tentative, but doesn't it count ?!!!!)

my husband knows marty pellow's (from wet, wet, wet) burd

i met a guy who used to be on aberdeen radio and tv alot when i lived there and was attractive to alot of the girls.he also jointly owned a menswear shop. i think he is now on scotland fm or something like that - i can't remember his name altho i thought he was really handsome at the time - tho now think yuck!! he didn't have much of a personality either!!! OH it's Robin Galloway.

I was on the telly once - for about 5 seconds, and the back of my car got 10 seconds in Aberdeen when i was a social worker up there - we were collecting presents to distribute to local families in need one xmas. i have it on video (oh dear i think i'm just a little sad!!!)

there are more equally tentative ones, but i'll come back later when i remember them - am i allowed to tell u really tentative ones, or does it have to be direct contact..?

#5596 - Thu Mar 07 2002 05:40 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
I've met John Schnieder, Tom Wopat, Marcy Walker, Lawrence Lau, Spike Dudley, Molly Holly, and Perry Saturn. The last three are wrestlers.

All of them were very nice, especially the wrestlers.

#5597 - Thu Mar 07 2002 05:47 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
lincolnvailknowles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Joplin, Missouri, USA
A few summers ago I worked as a set dresser for an independent movie (The White River Kid). I got to have a drink with Bob Hoskins; he's very funny and down to earth. I saw Ellen Barkin's boobies as well, but I didn't meet them.

I met Marilyn Manson eight years ago. Freak.

I got to work security at a Marcus Allen book signing and got to have a few words with him. He was my hero when he played for the Raiders.

#5598 - Thu Mar 07 2002 06:02 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
I've never met anyone.

Oh, I met Jeff Green, the English Comedian. He was lovely. I know a guy that stood up a girl at a pub and missed meeting Ray Manzerek. And that's the last time he stood anyone up, I think....

#5599 - Thu Mar 07 2002 06:52 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
I've never met anyone famous.

My best friend, however, met former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau when her class went to an IMAX presentation in Ottawa. She had gotten up for some reason, and when she came back somebody had taken her seat. So she left the area where her class was sitting and found an available seat next to an elderly gentleman. They spoke for awhile, and when the presentation was over they introduced themselves. She tells me that her jaw dropped when she realised she'd just been having a casual conversation with the former PM of Canada!!

Another friend of mine that I met at school last year was from Norway, and she'd had a summer job for a few years at EPCOT Center in the Norwegian pavilion (lucky girl!). While she was working there one day, she met David and Courteney Cox Arquette!

I correspond with (but have not met) a quasi-famous person. Gabriel Koerner, the Star Trek Geek from Comedy Central's Beat the Geeks. Just recently he asked me to help him maintain his website, which will be fun.

#5600 - Thu Mar 07 2002 07:01 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BC 
Canada
Such a hurry!
Archie Moore-boxer
William Davis-Premier of Ontario in the 60's (lunched)
Sammy David Jr.-ran right into him in the Four Seasons in Vancouver, along with Frank Sinatra and Dean (it was the LAST time Dean was with 'em)....right after we'd seen their concert. Literally walked SMACK into them on a small stairway...and we sat...and they sat, right across from us in the lounge...and they acted like immature idiots, but there was this piano player there named Peter, and he played all my favourites from the musicals...cause besides the celebs...on a Tuesday night....we were the only ones THERE!

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: lefois ]

#5601 - Thu Mar 07 2002 08:03 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
I worked for Woody Hermann, Freddie Green (of the Count Basie Orchestra), and Bob Mintzer when I was in college.

I met Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers in an elevator at the airport.

I met Carl Perkins with my dad. THey talked for over an hour.

I met Survivor when I was in High School.

I have several musician's children in my class. Most of them are sessions people but one has worked some big names:
Ginger Sands (made the top 10 cut for a Grammy Nomination two years ago for her children's CD), Mary Beth Peterzell (songwriter), Dave Van Sickle (Session drummer), and Julie Schraeder-Rust (writes a lot of well known children's songs). I keep telling them when they win their first Grammies to not forget their kids' Preschool Teacher.

#5602 - Fri Mar 08 2002 01:00 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BC 
Canada
I also intimately knew the guy who did the special effects for Platoon! When I was much younger! We did musicals together!....

Worked at the newspapers with Diane Francis (Financial Post)..when she was a mere graduate from college....Canadian celeb Catherine Ford from the Calgary Herald...also at that same newspaper when she was a Women's Editor....! No one knows these folks! But I know...\

How come I know so many who went on to be SOMEBODY? It's so sad.............really......

#5603 - Fri Mar 08 2002 01:40 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I've met Paul Newman, Henry Fonda and Lee Remick while they were filming "Sometimes a great Notion" in Oregon. Paul Newman is the most charming person and quite natural and didn't mind in the least my sister and I taking his photo.
He also did some wildlife films with my cousins in Idaho, so they had the same impression.
Michael Sarrazin was in that film so we saw him for some of the shots.

I've seen Jimmy Carter speak in Montana to a large gathering of Native American tribes and then was going to shake his hand and the Secret Service bustled him along. He's a very urbane and kind person.

I've said hello to French actor Pierre Richard twice, once in a town where I lived and then in an airport. He's a nice guy too.

I've seen the Princes of Monaco a few times close up, but I was working at the time and couldn't shake hands. Too bad.

I've seen a couple of sports stars close up here where I work. Tomba the skiier, and many motorcycling champions.
(the former does shave his legs!)
I've seen a few Formula one guys too.

I saw Jesse Jackson at the airport one time as our flight was delayed for 24 hours and I was waiting in lines to get a hotel voucher and he was going into the VIP lounge.

I used to work next to Reagan's house in Sacramento but as my friends would say, "hey, I tried to go up and sell my girl scout candy and the guys turned me away!"

I've seen Jerry Brown, former California governor but never saw him roller skating with Linda Rondstadt when they were an item. I lived a block away from his apartment that he refused to leave to go into a mansion in the suburbs. He played Gregorian chants in the Capitol park.

I've met a few more bigwigs, one of Claudia's main squeezes but otherwise, I find that celebrities are like others, they come in all sorts.

By the way, John Inman was Mister Humphries? He was wonderful. For years my daughter would say, "You mean that actor is dressing like a lady? Like Mr Humphries?"

#5604 - Fri Mar 08 2002 01:50 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
allynellie Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ayrshire Scotland UK      
What an array of famous people we all already have met !!! my mum reminded me that when we were very young, my folks took us camping to the lake district. it was a bit of a washout and the tent got completely drenched so mum and dad had to go a-begging at the nearest farm. the couple who owned the farm allowed us to stay there and as a bonus for mum and dad, they looked after my sister and i to allow our parents some time together - well most of the holiday apparently, whilst we mucked in on the farm. they turned out to be Edward Heath's cousin and spouse. Edward Heath was PM at the time i think!! and they say there's no such thing as child labour !!!

i never knew this story until a few weeks ago when my parents came to stay and we had dinner with my friends. well u learn a new thing everyday don't u?

#5605 - Fri Mar 08 2002 06:44 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
slingback Offline
Participant

Loc: London
Ny sister's godfather is John Rhys Davis who is Gimli in 'The Lord of the Rings' and the professor in 'Sliders' and he s lovely.

My only other claim to fame and you might all think this a little tenuous is a guy in my village who is a session musician and he was Madame Cholais (sp?) in the latest release of 'Remember you're a Womble'!

#5606 - Fri Mar 08 2002 02:45 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: North Carolina USA
Adrian Quinn came to our little hometwon moviehouse, meet everybody and signed autographs for the area first showing of Songcatcher", the lovely movie made here in the mountains. Very, very nice.

When The Cell opened here, Vincent D'Noffrio, was at the moviehouse, stayed after the movie, talked, signed autographs, but his people live near here. Very friendly.

Astronaut Rick Searfoss, who went up in several Space Shuttle missions, gave a talk here, and was just so very nice, talked a long time to us.

Of course, our US Senator lives near here, when not in Washington, so you'll see Charles Taylor ordering a burger, he'll speak, Very friendly--always getting the vote!

Andie MacDowell lives in Asheville, so if she's not gone on a shoot, she's seen everywhere up here. Her people are from SC.

I've seen actors in live theater, like Paige O'Hara, but never meet them. Oh, we meet Peter Noone and Paul Revere after an old-goldie show--very nice.

#5607 - Fri Mar 08 2002 03:40 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
Well, if we're going to talk about relatives, too...

My teacher and volleyball coach in high school was named James Bonham-Carter. At first I thought it was just a huge coincidence, but then it turned out that the actress Helena Bonham-Carter really is his cousin!

#5608 - Fri Mar 08 2002 06:03 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
wez Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Norwich
England UK        
This is gonna make me sound like a right stalker........

As a taxi driver in Lincoln, our company had exclusive contracts with Radio Lincolnshire and the Theatre Royal:
Eric Sykes.....miserable
Brian Glover...top northern geezer
Lesley Joseph..stuck-up
Lisa Tarbuck...friendly
Eve Ferret.....even more friendly
Arthur Bostrom.(gendarme in 'Allo Allo')......shy
Linda Lusardi..(former 'page 3' girl).........my favourite
Ken Livingstone(Mayor of London......his Mum lived in Lincoln).......didn't give him much time to talk about himself as I was busy berating the GLC!
('ere guv.......you'll never guess who I had in the back of my cab the other day?')

On parade with the RAF:
Maggie Thatcher.....I won't have a word said against her..LOL
Liz.................distant look in her eyes
Sarah Ferguson......strangely attractive with short hair?

As a member of the RAF in Berlin...(we used to be a tad cheeky and invite ourselves backstage at some gigs):
The Stranglers......although I'd met them before and after
Echo and the Bunnymen. talked mostly about football.
The Tubes...........minus Fee Waybill and the dancing girls, 'interesting'

Jim Davidson......met him in a pub in Soho, wasting some time while I was waiting for a flight back to Berlin. On seeing my RAF kitbag, struck up a conversation with me about the forces. Boy...does that bloke love the British forces.

Sir Anthony Hopkins.....whilst he was filming 'The Innocents' (the less said about that particular film, the better), in the Officers Mess in Berlin.

Fiona Richmond.......(famous..er..'adult' British film star). After watching her in 'Space in my Pyjamas' at a theatre in Swindon in the early 80's. She came into the same pub that we were in for an after-show 'snifter'. What did you expect me to do? Ignore her?

Dickie Davies (former World of Sport presenter) and Mike Channon (Saints footballer). At our local Boys Clubs player of the year awards, in the 70's.

Ray 'Butch' Wilkins........(former Chelsea, Manchester Utd. and England footballer) at the Andover player of the year award, also in the 70's.

Anne Robinson..........on my 'Weakest Link' appearance in 2000 (horrible woman)

William G Stewart......on my 3 '15-1' appearances in 99, 2000 and 2002 (nice fella)

Hugh Bonneville........(Father Jack Dowling in the upcoming film, 'Conspiracy of Silence'). Watch out for me, I'm an extra, dressed up as a Priest in the Vatican scene (skinhead, in black, with dog-collar).

wez
oh.......and by the by, I went to school with Brian Hughes (former Swindon Town and Torquay Utd. footballer) and Anthony McGlone (National Hunt jockey). Also used to play football against Paul Rideout (Everton footballer who scored the winning goal in the FA Cup Final for Everton against ManU in 199!"£$$£$^$......GIT!)

However, this all pales into insignificance against the Madame Cholet reference.

#5609 - Fri Mar 08 2002 08:57 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
I've got a couple more...

My mom accidently walked onto a shooting of "Renegade" and got her picture taken with Lorenzo Lamas.

When Donny Osmand was in the studio my mom met him and got his autograph on my 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' CD and (this is sad) my mom brough home a bottle of water that he had only drank half of.

Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser) walked behind me while I was in line waiting for popcorn at a movie theater in Hollywood (He was going to see 'Gone In 60 Seconds' unfortunately I went to see 'Me,Myself And Irene'

I met Red Green... woo hooo.

At one point Bruce Campbell (Army Of Darkness) was looking for houses in Michigan and my mom was his real estate agent, she used to let me listen to his voice mails that he left her.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943