Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5635 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:49 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
I've met quite a few celebrities, local and world-known, through my father. When he owned a local aviation company, all sorts of people came in.

One such was Patrick Swayze. They filmed "Too Wong Foo" in a small town in Nebraska, and at the same time Patrick Swayze had just purchased a new Cessna 414. He needed to be checked out in it, so my dad gave him lessons. I met him on a number of occasions, including one opportunity to actually be with him on set while he was filming, and hang out in his trailer afterwards. My little sister and I were absolutely charmed. (I was 17, Jen was 15, and both of us were in absolute awe of his good looks...) He's such a nice guy. He introduced us to his dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback who was almost as big as he was. After meeting us the first time, he told my dad that "both your daughters have amazing eyes." *SWOON* Dad had to go with him when they moved on to filming in New York because Patrick's training wasn't through. Patrick had my mom come out twice to horse shows, (he trains horses in his spare time) and also took my dad to the Indy 500.

There is a scene in the film where Patrick's character is wearing a peach-colored pajama set, and he closes the door to their room and says something like "He's beating her again" and I'd like to go on record as saying that my little sister and I were actually the people he was talking to when he filmed that scene. John and Wesley had already gone on to New York, and Patrick was just finishing up a few scenes here in Nebraska, and he wanted two real people to be sitting in the places that John and Wesleys' characters were supposed to be. My sis and I were those two people!

Also got to meet Harrison Ford. Some of you may remember a much-publicized emergency landing here in Nebraska, wherein Mr. Ford was said to have frequented the local strip clubs. Well, he had his plane fixed at my dad's place, and one of our courtesy cars appeared large-as-life on Conan O'Brien. I met him the day he left, and he (very graciously) signed my Star Wars: A New Hope poster. He was very friendly, but in a press-hounded and suspicious kind of way.

I've also met multiple local sports stars, mostly Nebraska Cornhusker football players, as well as local politicians, including all of Nebraska's recent US congressmen and senators, just because of where I live.

When I was in high school, we did a theater production of The Martian Chronicles. The entire cast had the opportunity to conference call with Ray Bradbury, and I was able to ask him questions about my character. It was fascinating!

#5636 - Sat Sep 25 2004 03:03 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Quote:

I'd like to go on record as saying that my little sister and I were actually the people he was talking to when he filmed that scene

How cool, Loth. I hope you have a copy of that movie to show your grandchildren someday. What a neat story.

#5637 - Wed Oct 27 2004 06:00 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
rogue Offline
Mainstay

I met Johnny Weissmuller when he was doing promotional visits for state of Indiana Ford dealerships. He didn't seem particularly happy about being here, and spoke fewer words than he did as Tarzan.

Robert Kennedy came to town during the '68 primary and they hauled several classes to the airport to see him. I was last in line along the fence as he was shaking hands. I couldn't tell where he was with all the girls screaming, and he wasn't very tall. Then he was standing in front of me all of a sudden, so sudden it took me by surprise. I know I must've look shocked as he mocked my wide-eyed expression right back at me. Then he grinned and mussed up my hair (which wasn't as long as his).

I've seen & met John Mellencamp at the mall and around town. Hard to live here and not see or meet Mellencamp around town somewhere.

One night I was heading toward a local record store, and was walking pretty fast when I bumped into Nick Nolte who said "Hey bud" at me. I was about to say I was sorry but once I realized it was Nick Nolte, my mind just froze. He was with some well known director whose name escapes me now. They both looked at me as I looked at them (perhaps waiting for a sorry-I-bumped-into-you or asking for autographs). But the lure of the record store was too much so I just bolted out of there. Those fellows were in town as they were filming somewhere on campus or southern Indiana.

I've meet Brian Wilson and a few members of his current touring band. I have to admire his sense of humor and knowing not to take himself and his legend too seriously.

Met Harry Chapin many years ago. He was way too nice for the music business.

Also met actress PJ Soles when she was in town filming "Breaking Away". This was after she was in "Halloween" but before I saw her as Riff Randle in "Rock'N'High School". What a babe!

#5638 - Mon Nov 01 2004 04:28 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
OK, I didn't actually speak to him, but I was just sitting underneath Arsene Wenger at an Arsenal reserve match. He was up in the directors box at a 45 degree angle opposite, so he was almost facing me. He's a lot bigger than he looks on TV, and so is his hair!

#5639 - Mon Nov 01 2004 06:33 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Woody156 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Barrie
Ontario Canada
Mickey Rooney was starring in a movie that a local production company was shooting. They needed a police officer for a scene, and since I had worked there before joining the force they asked me to do it. Mickey was very nice, but he is very short. I'm 6'4", so I was much bigger than he.

I've also been lucky enough as an officer to get field assignments at Skydome. I have talked to several major league baseball players and umpires. I have a baseball given to me and signed by umpire John Hirshbeck. On my way back to the field from the umpire's room, I was walking past Ken Griffey Jr. I asked him to sign it as well, which he did. He is a very soft spoken guy, very nice, but not as big as I thought a home run hitter would be. Obviously, he is a superb athlete.

I also drove an umpire to the airport. He was flying home for one day between assignments, and the game went into extra innings. He wasn't going to make it, but a cruiser with lights and siren on is much faster than a taxi!

#5640 - Mon Dec 13 2004 07:33 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

OK, put another badge on the anorak for me, I was just waiting in a car park in Windsor (where the queen lives) and someone asked my Dad for change for the machine. I went over too and asked him how much he needed (£20, no I didn't) and my Dad said 'Look!'- it was our comedian who was massive on TV in the 70s and 80s, Russ Abbott!
As we went past the entrance we saw him at the change machine and said he'd just been given 20 pound coins and how was he supposed to carry all that around with him? It shows everyone (except maybe the royal family across the road from the car park in the castle) has normal lives and problems, and it's always nice when you meet these celebs by chance as well!

#5641 - Mon Jan 24 2005 12:28 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Back in the mid 1980's I wrote news, columns and features for a local news company. Bill Clinton was in the Arkansas governor's mansion then. He and Hillary had many friends up in Carroll County and often came up to visit. If he was slated to be in town one of us would have to get a statement from him {to use in a cutline under a photo} or do a full interview. We all knew about Bill Clinton.
On a brighter note, Annie Potts and Tim Curry once came to our area to work on a [bad] film and it was a pleasure to meet them.

#5642 - Sun Feb 06 2005 12:41 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Looking through this thread again I noticed that satguru mentioned Neil Hamilton, I haven't met him but I did sit next to Christine at a ladies lunch. She was the guest speaker and absolutely hilarious.

#5643 - Mon Feb 07 2005 02:04 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Well, I used to be in the theatre business, so I have met some. Hal Holbrook did his Mark Twain show at the college I worked at. The school also did the first not-on-broadway run of the musical 'Mack and Mabel' in many years, so one of the Sherman brothers, who wrote the music, came to the opening and afterwards we all gathered around the piano while he played (mostly Disney tunes--they wrote a lot of Disney stuff).
Professionally, though, I worked at the now defunct Asian American Theatre Company in San Francisco, and had the pleasure of working with a lot of great people. The Asian entertainment crowd is not very large, so pretty much anyone "famous" will pass through a theatre like that on some occasion. One of the first shows I did with them was a work in progress by David Hwang, who wrote 'M. Butterfly'.

My husband had the fun job, though. For awhile he worked at an airport parking garage in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's amazing how many celebrities live in N.M.! He used to bring me home all sorts of autographs--Shirley MacLain and Brian Dennehy are my favorites.

#5644 - Mon Feb 07 2005 06:30 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
SRSTrekker Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
Hi!

Well, I've volunteered at a few Star Trek conventions, so I got to see a lot of the stars that go to them, I'm not sure that classifies as "meeting them". One thing I'd like to point out though is that Bill Shatner seems to be sometimes arrogant and not very fan-friendly, although he always does a lot of conventions. It's probably for $$ though, who could turn that down?

The only real "meeting" I could say is Duane Causwell, who used to be on the Sacramento Kings. I used to live next door to him.

Edited by SRSTrekker (Mon Feb 07 2005 06:30 PM)

#5645 - Mon Feb 07 2005 06:52 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
Well, let's see...I've met Molly Holly and Spike Dudley (professional wrestlers) at a wrestling match when "Raw" was live in August 2001; I've met John Schneider, Tom Wopat, and Catharine Bach (Bo, Luke, and Daisy Duke from "The Dukes of Hazzard"). I've met Ray Reyes' father (Ray Reyes was a member of Menudo in the early 1980s). I've met Robby Rosa of Menudo during a taping of "Dancing on Air" in 1986 (I almost got to kiss him).

I've met Linda Carter in the 1970s when she was "Wonder Woman". I met Mick Foley, Lassie, and Whitney Houston in 2000 when I worked at USAirways. I met Boyz To Men in 1993 or 1994 when I worked at Channel Home Centers.

I've met Philadelphia Mayor John Street and future Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell, when John Street was running for Mayor and the then outing mayor, Ed Rendell, was campaigning for him.

#5646 - Wed Mar 23 2005 09:29 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester
England UK     
Dare I ask if anyone has heard of Su Pollard?

#5647 - Wed Mar 23 2005 04:23 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
downhomer1 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario
Helen Reddy, Jay Johnson, Joel Grey, Sherman Helmsley, Cubby (Mousketeer drummer), Nana Moskouri, Englebert Humperdink to name a few.....Some nice, some not so nice. Used to drive limo.

#5648 - Thu Mar 24 2005 11:24 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Dare I ask if anyone has heard of Su Pollard?

I doubt many in the UK haven't- now you mention it I saw the Hi de Hi show in the theatre with everyone but the jockey in it, so I must have seen her as well!

#5649 - Thu Mar 24 2005 07:58 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Sinned2471 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jersey City
New Jersey USA
I once worked for Madison Square Garden. There I met the entire 1969 New York Knicks basketball team. Cazzie Russell taught me how to make a jump shot. In the Gaarden's bowling center, I met Dick Weber who was there for a tounament & he gave me bowling lessons. I also met Billie Jean King, Judy Garland & Liza Minnelli.

Later on in life I met Diana Ross who was very kind and gracious.

#5650 - Fri Mar 25 2005 11:48 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester
England UK     
Satguru... ouchy I thought my distant relitive had faded from peoples memories

#5651 - Tue Jul 12 2005 10:37 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Nice I can keep this list going! (it's becoming one of my hobbies now...).

Last week a letter came through my grandma's door to say my favourite comedian, Harry Hill, would be filming opposite her house for a few days this week. I did go to see him perform a few years ago but it was cancelled when I arrived, and I hadn't tried since. When I got there nearly all the sets were built around the village green, and they were filming by a wall, where they filmed the same 2 minute scene at least 8 times (no idea what went wrong each time, but they were fiddling with the lighting a lot). He wasn't in that scene so I asked where he was as I couldn't see him in the crowd of staff, and he was under a black cloth watching the monitor.
He did come out from time to time, and between takes I crept up and asked his assistant if he'd mind writing an autograph, and he came over and spent about 5 minutes talking to me. He was a really nice guy, and asked me who else I'd met over the years, and how people wait outside the BBC to meet him every time he's on the radio, and it more than made up for missing his show, as everything there is also shown on TV, but meeting him means a lot more. My 95 year old grandma came with me and sat on the bench watching while I was by the set opposite, and is now waiting for it to be on TV so she can see it all properly.

#5652 - Tue Jul 12 2005 04:58 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
It must be a sign of old age, because I know I have met lots of celebrities, but when I try to make a list of them, I go blank!

The only really famous one who springs to mind is Queen Elizabeth II. She stopped to speak to my daughter when she was visiting Brunei on the way to the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur in 1998. At the time we were in the Amah's market while she was doing a walk-through.

I could list off a number of local celebrities but most of you would not have heard of them. There are lots in this thread I have never heard of, presumably for the same reason.

What I always find interesting is discovering which celebrities are like their public persona and which ones are not.

There are a few I have met who are very popular because of the 'face' they present to the public, but in real life, they are nowhere near as nice. In fact, some are so "up themselves", it's not funny. I always think of them as "plastic people". A case in point is Lionel Yorke, a well-known Perth radio DJ. On air, he is so syrupy sweet, and off-air, one of the rudest people I have ever met.

Some of my favourite personalities are those who I have discovered to be exactly the same in real life as they are in public. For example, Dr Harry Cooper (TV Vet) and Bryce Courtney (Australian author).

I occasionally go to book signings so I've met quite a few authors. I meet a lot of politicians and medical personalities through my work. I've met a number of magicians through Maynooth (who is also a magician). As an ex-high school teacher, some of my students have become famous in adulthood, but mostly on a local level.

When I was young, I met a lot of music personalities as I went out with a radio DJ (NOT Lionel Yorke). Some I have met include the bands Sherbert, Zoot, Ted Mulry Gang and the Dave Warner Band (I'm really dating myself here).

Edited by MotherGoose (Tue Jul 12 2005 06:35 PM)

#5653 - Tue Jul 12 2005 06:30 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
4dogpack Offline
Participant

Loc: Alaska
Most of the celebrities I've met have been mushers. I met Dee Dee Jonrowe when the pet store close to here had two booths set up, one for the local skijor club (NASSPA) and one for the Iditarod. I was helping out at the NASSPA booth (my dad is a board member, and since he was out of town, I had to take over for him), and ended up sitting next to her. She's really nice. She brought her Lab and her small dog with her.

I met Ellie Claus (she's the youngest woman to enter the Iditarod) at a lecture. She got really excited when she found out that I was almost old enough to enter some junior distance races here, and offered to help me get qualified for the Jr. Iditarod and get me a good racing team.

#5654 - Tue Jul 12 2005 06:38 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
You're right, Mothergoose. When you think back over a life time, it's easy to forget a few here and there. The ones I can remember right now are:
-Bill and Hillary Clinton
-John Boozeman [US Ark. 3rd district congressman who used to be our eye doctor]
-Tim Curry
-Annie Potts
-Johnnie Wiesmiller [Tarzan from the 30's]
-Lynard Skynard band members
-Buddy Miles
-Leon Russell
-Willie Nelson
- Lunch with Chuck Jones [Warner Brothers honcho animator]
-Paul Rugg [WB semi - honcho animator]
-George W. Bush

I would sure love to meet novelist Anne Tyler, someday. What a treat that would be.

Edited by ktstew (Tue Jul 12 2005 06:52 PM)

#5655 - Wed Jul 13 2005 09:49 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
gemini19 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Toronto Ontario Canada      
Hmmm, I haven't met as many as you guys have, probably 'cause I get all shy when I'm around a celebrity. But I've met a few hockey players... (well, they're considered celebrities in Canada ) I met Brett the Hitman Hart, I'm not a wrestling fan, but he was walking down the same street as me once and a friend dragged me along after him as she chased him to say hi. I met one of the kids who worked in the American Pie movies once when I was in Montreal; Sean something or other, he played the silly one who said the "F" word every other word in a sentence... my friend thought he was cute so I got dragged yet again to meet the guy. That's about it, though... for now.

#5656 - Fri Apr 21 2006 12:13 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
DrBobWill Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WA vet home Retsil, WA, USA
hi all
well, let's see, i went to the first east-west and third east-west philosopher's conference at the university of hawaii in the late 1950s and had chats with d.t. suzuki, sri radhikrishnan and some place other than there met alan watts, also met several ambassadors names and countries not now recalled;
spent christmas with the family of my first major girl-friend (mom was the first--maybe second--woman ambassador to represent the USA [denmark, later became minister to bulgaria and a trust territories administrator, grandfather had been a professor of botany? and invented the cereal puff process--very interesting family;
i had known my girl-friend from reed college where several of us with interests that included physics had lengthy chats with (the only two i now remember were) robert oppenheimer and edward teller;
one local (olympia, wa) gal [gretchen christopher--used to call me up and play/sing her latest songs and ask me what i thought of same] and got her interested in my mensa group turned out to be one of the fleetwoods singers (she composed some songs i have forgotten the names of right now--mr.blue and come softly to me?) she always thought it was cool that her songs/group topped one of elvis presley's songs, i think she was a bit taken back by my never having heard of her (keep in mind that i listened primarily to classical music)--oh that reminds me when i was trying to educate myself a bit about more popular music in nyc (ship being recommisioned in brooklyn naval yard) waltzed into a bar in manhattan and got asked by ella fitzgerald what song i wanted to hear and what drink did i want her to buy for me, all i knew about her was that she was a famous singer that was it so i asked her to pick out her own favorite song and sing it (also don't remember what drink she bought for me) sorry about that, let's see, also always had a free box seat at carnegie hall (courtesy of the levintritt foundation) remember a rehearsal that toscanini was doing and the time i met a composer sitting next to me, hope i remember his name before i conclude my remarks here started with m, and i think i may have known stephen bishop kov--something, the excellent pianist, oh yes, at berkeley high school [dave brubeck had graduated from bhs and had come back to play for us] had several sons of nobel prize winners in my chemistry class (segre, ernest lawrence, and some other guy), that was the brightest class i have ever known at any level (doctorate included).
plus shook hands with a few presidents don't remember which ones now.
goodhealthpeacelovejoy
drbob
ps, i am sure i have forgotten a bunch more, oh well, also it was martinu that was the composer.

#5657 - Fri Apr 21 2006 12:35 PM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
On April 13, I got to meet a few professional bowlers.

#5658 - Sat Apr 22 2006 02:35 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
soonappear Offline
Forum Adept

The lift doors opened to meet a President surrounded by the 5 biggest body guards I've ever seen. Amongst apprehensive looks and moving hands. I got the next lift down and he was whisked away.

#5659 - Sat Apr 22 2006 02:38 AM Re: Name Dropping - Who have you met?
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Quote:

The lift doors opened to meet a President surrounded by the 5 biggest body guards I've ever seen. Amongst apprehensive looks and moving hands. I got the next lift down and he was whisked away.

Say what ?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943