Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#609854 - Mon Mar 28 2011 07:33 PM Capitalisation
Creedy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Hello FT

I received a note from a player of one of my quizzes querying why with the answers that if she didnt put a capital letter in first, it marked her wrong.

So I looked up writing quizzes etc first before putting this query in.

It says "Upper and Lower case : Fill in the Blank answers are NOT case sensitive in Quizzyland. Thus, if you put as a correct answer 'John Milton', the following will be counted as correct: John Milton, john milton, John milton, john Milton, JOHN MILTON. These extra combinations of capitalization are repetitive and unnecessary. Do not put them into your quiz."

It's a bit puzzling because lately I've taken a couple of quizzes online and the same thing has happened to me. Say the answer was John Blake - if I typed john blake, it marked it as incorrect.

Could this be verified? I shudder to think I have to go through all my online quizzes to make capitalisation alterations in the answers.

Thank you smilee

#609855 - Mon Mar 28 2011 07:49 PM Re: Capitalisation
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
FITB answers are not case sensitive.

The player either misspelled the answer, perhaps added a space where it wasn't necessary, or there was some sort of bug. Has it been the same questions with the recurring issue?

#609857 - Mon Mar 28 2011 07:54 PM Re: Capitalisation
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
FT is not case sensitive. I just went to one of my own quizzes and typed the answer lIkE ThIs AnD iT woRKeD fine.

FITBs are, however, *space* sensitive. Type in an extra space, and you will be marked incorrect. So it wasn't the "john blake" that was wrong, but the "john blake", say.

Edited to add - this post really proves my point - the naked eye can't really see any difference between those two, but the second one had two spaces between. That would be enough to make an answer incorrect.

Edited by agony (Mon Mar 28 2011 07:55 PM)

#609859 - Mon Mar 28 2011 07:55 PM Re: Capitalisation
looney_tunes Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia
I recently fielded one of these on behalf of an author who is not currently active. The player had left a letter out of their answer, and didn't notice it. If the answer is spelled and spaced correctly, it will be marked correct. I think you can even have an extra space at the end without any problems, but extra spaces between words in an answer would make it incorrect (since spaces are read as characters).

#609865 - Mon Mar 28 2011 08:57 PM Re: Capitalisation
Creedy Offline
Prolific

Thank you all - I should imagine it may have been a typo from the player because the answer she queried was just one word, and there was actually a typo in her enquiry to me. (She was really lovely though - it wasn't a critical enquiry).

With me it was probably an extra space, as my keyboard is a bit touchy in that way. I stared at the answer for ages and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it as it was the same spelling as the answer.

Heaven forbid it should be a spelling mistake - my ego would never recover from the shock! I'm an English and History teacher by trade.

Ta again - Creedy smile

#609866 - Mon Mar 28 2011 09:02 PM Re: Capitalisation
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Oh, in your case, Creedy, it wouldn't be a *spelling* mistake, but a typo. Totally different thing, right?

#609895 - Mon Mar 28 2011 11:09 PM Re: Capitalisation
Creedy Offline
Prolific

Hehehe - definitely.

#609918 - Tue Mar 29 2011 01:31 AM Re: Capitalisation
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London EnglandUK
Originally Posted By: agony
FT is not case sensitive. I just went to one of my own quizzes and typed the answer lIkE ThIs AnD iT woRKeD fine.

FITBs are, however, *space* sensitive. Type in an extra space, and you will be marked incorrect. So it wasn't the "john blake" that was wrong, but the "john blake", say.

Edited to add - this post really proves my point - the naked eye can't really see any difference between those two, but the second one had two spaces between. That would be enough to make an answer incorrect.

More crucially, what your reply demonstrates is that double spaces in html are resolved to single spaces. What this means is that when you type in "john<space><space>blake" that is what the quiz form will accept and therefore mark you wrong. However, when the results page comes up, it will print your answer in html and therefore it will look as if you entered "john<space>blake".

The moral of the story is, always check for double spaces before you hit enter smile

#609919 - Tue Mar 29 2011 01:36 AM Re: Capitalisation
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
As they say, 'you learn something new every day'. That clarifies things beautifully, Snowman, as I have had the occasional 'how did I get that wrong?' moment and now I understand.

#609925 - Tue Mar 29 2011 02:21 AM Re: Capitalisation
Creedy Offline
Prolific

Certainly does, thank you smile

#609997 - Tue Mar 29 2011 11:04 AM Re: Capitalisation
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Just so I can get some clarification, who is John Blake?

#610010 - Tue Mar 29 2011 11:40 AM Re: Capitalisation
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario and Arizona
Buried in a pauper's grave, his sole contribution was the invention of Capital letters...which brought no fame or fortune.

#610025 - Tue Mar 29 2011 12:16 PM Re: Capitalisation
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Indeed, because he was so poor his growth was stunted so when he worked for a printer he struggled to reach the letters in the upper case.

#610126 - Tue Mar 29 2011 04:07 PM Re: Capitalisation
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich EnglandUK
In my experience as an editor, there is a tendency on the part of quite a number of players to assume - erroneously - that their errors in FITB questions are the result of capitalization issues, and some correction notices are decidedly heated on the subject.

#610236 - Tue Mar 29 2011 08:30 PM Re: Capitalisation
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I've always answered all fitb questions, including those in brain twists in total lower case. I've never been marked "wrong" for that, ever (yes, I've typed in the incorrect answer before lol, but that's a different issue which is entirely my fault).

#610347 - Wed Mar 30 2011 11:58 AM Re: Capitalisation
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
I find it very hard not to use capitals for 'proper' nouns, even though I know the site doesn't demand it. I have learned to not be so particular, but the ingrained habits of years are hard to shake off.

#610386 - Wed Mar 30 2011 01:59 PM Re: Capitalisation
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
I usually answer FITB and Brain Twist with caps lock on, and that way I don't have to worry.

Moderator:  agony