Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62184 - Tue Sep 12 2000 06:06 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

DUH! Sorry, must be blind as a bat today.

#62185 - Wed Sep 13 2000 01:54 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney
oz downunder
hey Fortunata, was wondering if you'd notice lol .. now karmaloupster's taken us back to the other side of the Atlantic!

#62186 - Wed Sep 13 2000 02:11 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California燯SA

#62187 - Wed Sep 13 2000 03:43 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

I磍l be posting today but taking the rest of the week OFF!
It磗 our Independence Days (yes, two of 磂m ), so I磍l be at the beach until Sunday...oh joy! Good luck everyone and have fun!

#62188 - Thu Sep 14 2000 03:05 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England燯K牋牋
Karma...I am going to challenge your entry. The town in china is called only half your entry....
Can you please validate it by sending me the web-site or by defending your entry here.

#62189 - Thu Sep 14 2000 05:40 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Caerr Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Huntly NZ
Won't be playing tonight or tomorrow thanks.

#62190 - Thu Sep 14 2000 08:49 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
Hi Sypher....I may be being picky, but I think Pindead's score should be 82, not 83? Wow, what a great entry, though!

BL

------------------
"I'm not into working out. My philosophy: No pain, no pain."

....Carol Leifer

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#62191 - Thu Sep 14 2000 08:52 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Sypher Offline

England燯K牋牋
Nope....Pinhead's score was 32 yesterday...that makes her final score 83.

------------------
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life!!

#62192 - Thu Sep 14 2000 11:06 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Sypher....Hi again. I think it's 31....looks like you gave credit for the "o" umlaut-like symbol in the last name?

BL

------------------
"I'm not into working out. My philosophy: No pain, no pain."

....Carol Leifer

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#62193 - Thu Sep 14 2000 09:44 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ok..it was inevitable I suppose..and it had been so peaceful..I had actually survived a week without a challenge..oh well it's worth enough points to defend, so here goes:

Screen Dump #1: Copy of Search screen showing full name of city as the searched entry:

see link http://www.google.com/search?q=GUANLING+BUYIZU+MIAOZU+ZIZHIXIAN+&btnG=Google+Search

Which gives the following screen:

Advanced Search Language, Display, & Filtering Options Search Tips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google results 1-2 of 2 for GUANLING BUYIZU MIAOZU ZIZHIXIAN . Search took 0.06 seconds.

Guizhou Province
...561300 Guanling Buyizu Miaozu zizhixian...
...?? 550800 Ziyun Miaozu Buyizu zizhixian...
members.tripod.com/ecmichel/postal_code/guizhou.htm - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

Open Cities List
...County, Xishui County, Guanling Buyizu/Miaozu Autonomous...
...Puding County,Zhenning Buyizu/Miaozu Autonomous County, Yuping... www.usembassy-china.org.cn/english/us-citizen/opencity.htm - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

If I then click on the 1st entry, you will get to http://members.tripod.com/ecmichel/postal_code/guizhou.htm

which is a list of Post Codes in China, sorted via Province (which in this case is Guizhou, and then CITY. If you search for my entry on the page, you will come to:

Guanling Buyizu Miaozu zizhixian
关岭布依族苗族自治县

which is the full name of the location, as this page says.
The only other entry, which indeed lists this place by only 2 names is not an official list compiled by the Chinese but rather a list compiled by "American Citizen Services" and is "AREAS IN CHINA OPEN TO FOREIGN TRAVELLERS " hardly an exhaustive list. This is only a list of some cities in China, there is nothing not say that the half name is either a generic name for a group of smaller towns, or another town altogether, or even like a town which another town has used in it's name, like ummm, YORK (being the shorter version that you quote) and NEW YORK (being the longer entry, my posted one)...I have submitted a page which lists the town exactly as I have posted it..and created enough doubt to question the validity of the shorter version.
Now I was just thinking, if I had posted the shorter version that you have indicated is the town's title, say "Guanling Buyizu" instead of my original one, you know I would probably be here right now doing this except trying to justify it against the challenge that it is not the full title of the city which is "GUANLING BUYIZU MIAOZU ZIZHIXIAN"...confused then remember that old East End adage, "when it doubt, leave it out!"....surely this post must be passed....

Sir Robert Massingbird-Massingbird, Massingbird-Massingbird and Co, Representatives for...KL

KL

#62194 - Thu Sep 14 2000 10:08 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Pinhead Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: The Dark Side of the Moon...
A young woman who was several months pregnant boarded a bus to San Juan Bautista de Bayaguana. When she
noticed a young man smiling at her, she began feeling humiliated on
account of her condition.

She changed her seat and he seemed more amused. She moved again and then on her fourth move he burst out laughing.

She had him arrested.

When the case came before the court, the young man was asked why he
acted in such a manner.

His reply was...
"When the lady boarded the bus I couldn't help noticing she was
pregnant.

She sat under an advertisement which read
"Coming Soon: The Gold Dust Twins."

Then she moved under one that read "Sloan's Liniment Removes Swelling."

I was even more amused when she sat
under a shaving advertisement which read "Williams Stick Did the Trick."

Then I could not control myself any longer when on the fourth move she sat under an advertisement which read "Dunlop Rubber would have prevented
this accident."

He won the case.

------------------
"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.".............
Dan Quayle

#62195 - Fri Sep 15 2000 01:43 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Sypher Offline

England燯K牋牋
Karma...Well Defended !!

Pinhead....You are a ray of sunshine with the end of the week jokes....they are fantastic !!

------------------
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life!!

#62196 - Fri Sep 15 2000 03:35 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

TY Sypher..you are tough but fair I see..lol..Pinhead where do you get these from they are brilliant...ta,

KL

#62197 - Fri Sep 15 2000 09:21 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 40 - As the Crow Flies !!
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Pindead's done it again!

Lol, that was great! And she actually got on in San Juan Bautista de Bayaguana, too.....amazing! lol

(And thanks again for reminding me it was Thursday/almost Friday.....you're terrific!)

BL

------------------
"I'm not into working out. My philosophy:
No pain, no pain."

....Carol Leifer

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ozzz2002