Terms of Use

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#62690 - Mon Oct 09 2000 05:09 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney
oz downunder
ditto #17, it's jw's question (not mine)

#62691 - Mon Oct 09 2000 07:01 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
barbs42 Offline
Forum Adept

Sage - Happy Birthday.

Hope I did not mess everyone up here by posting an answer on Sunday. Did not mean any harm. I know I can not take the answer back. I don't want my mistake to cost anyone points.

Barbs

#62692 - Mon Oct 09 2000 07:18 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

Loc: Vancouver Canada
barbs,
no prob on my question. You got the answer right "Bedtime for Bonzo", and I'm pretty sure Sage will give you the points.

to all others,
I am feelin bad about my woodstock question, because my answer was from just from a trivia book, with no explanation. Looks to me like my answer might be plain wrong. I will accept whatever punishment comes with my blunder. (and be more careful with my new questions in the future)

ps lately I have been thinking about doing a recap which would be
-the question
-the correct answer gotten by ________ for __ points.
Has anyone ever thought of trying that?
I lose track of questions alot, and couldn't tell you the answer to them, if asked a day after someone answered it correctly. I dunno, just an idea. If I get the free time (which is the critical factor since I am so time-budgeted that it's very difficult) I will try out what I am thinking of with this..
anyhoo
ttfn

#62693 - Mon Oct 09 2000 07:39 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
me three! I've just been going with the flow jw, trivia is so much fun .. I was thinking of a monthly spreadsheet along these lines, or a word document pasted into FT:-

first column - all questions in numerical sequence
second column - who got the points (plus date)
third column - a code for the points .. da = daily answered, sa = stumper answered, se = stumper expired, ba = sage bonus answered

maybe pe or kl will volunteer to do this, as they seem to have more time on their hands than you or I have!
I'll supply the vegemite

#62694 - Mon Oct 09 2000 07:59 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Lol GTHO...you finance people...always thinking that HR folk have time on their hands..lol....I'll be glad to keep stats every month or FNT etc if u like....just tell me what data u all want to keep and I'll throw something together on the Q's so far and post it for comments...

will have my home system operatable again tonight so I may get into it then...

JW, no dramas on the Woodstock Q...I've been guilty of it more then once and felt like crap for wasting people's time but basically we all post Q's with the data we have available and in good faith that it is the correct info...there is no one playing who would intentionally put up dodgy info to trick players..that is why it's such a great game...

[This message has been edited by karmaloupster (edited 10-09-2000).]

#62695 - Mon Oct 09 2000 08:11 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
.. maybe I forgot another code, be = sage bonus expired, worth 100pts to sage only, lol

~~~~~~~~~~~

jw, punishment for incorrect question? try this ..

you are locked in a room daily with kl for a week for 60 minutes every hour which is a prime number, answering only two types of questions (i) prime numbers which have 4 digits and in which year were they discovered, how many of them are palindromes, name them in reverse numerical sequence (ii) which cities have bid for the Olympics, either alphabetically or chronologically or unsuccessfully or successfully, how many have bid for both the summer and winter olympics

relax kl, jk

#62696 - Tue Oct 10 2000 11:18 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
jw, ran out of time and your quesiton 5 has now expired - is this the answer to the cost of tickets to the first woodstock cost ..

day tickets:-
$6.50 advance purchase
$8 at the gate

3 day tickets:-
$18 advance purchase
$24 at the gate

#62697 - Tue Oct 10 2000 11:26 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

my lame-o answer simply said $7.00/day

Do I lose 10 points? I'll be watching for something in Sage;s next update.

Anyone else notice the ft clock is now accurate?
I am posting at 12:27 a.m , let's see if this post is stamped the same..

#62698 - Tue Oct 10 2000 11:28 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

BINGO! funtrivia clock is now accurate! (he says at 12:28 am.)

[This message has been edited by Jabberwock (edited 10-11-2000).]

#62699 - Thu Oct 12 2000 11:36 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
  Kansas USA
KL - You had promised me that you would refrain from submitting question with multiple answers. You haven't done it and because of it GT received 60 points for Q46 which put him ahead of you. Chessart received 30 points for your Q47.

#62700 - Fri Oct 13 2000 01:54 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
PaulE Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Leeds Yorkshire
England UK
gt
Aaagh! I read about the player sent off 4 times and never wrote down his name or the teams involved and now I'm really kicking myself.
He was sent off during the game and then 3 more times for "foul and abusive language" at the referee.
I'll see if I can find him for you.

#62701 - Fri Oct 13 2000 07:03 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
yep, that's the man! now, what's his name ..
btw I thought of you when I read it!

~~~~~~~~~~~

should've gone there first instead of here in SO input .. that's the man!

[This message has been edited by gtho4 (edited 10-13-2000).]

#62702 - Fri Oct 13 2000 08:21 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

Sage,
Why was this question deemed worth 60 pnts?
Q46. What "title" did Csar Nicholas II create in 1914 and to whom did he award it? posted by karmaloupster on 10-10-2000 08:25 PM
quote:

GT received 60 points for Q46 which put him ahead of you.

I don't understand why this question isn't the same as any other. True, it has 2 parts, but that isn't uncommon. (Horse and rider questions by GT; my own Lord of the Rings question , etc)

Q47, also looks innocent to me..?

#62703 - Fri Oct 13 2000 09:54 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Been away for a couple of days and have just finally got access to this thing...I must agree with JW's comments above in regards to the points situation..I don't at all begrudge the players the points and am not trying to get them stripped but am just wondering how these questions can be singled out as multiple points questions when as JW points out their are others posted at the moment which involve more then one fact being given in order to answer the question correctly....as you say Sage, I did agree to stop answering multiple q's and have tried to ensure less detailed answers are required but I think that if 2 bits of information is required to answer the q then this still falls within the boundaries acceptable.

In terms of the first Q, which you awarded 60 points for is really just asking for 2 bits of info, the title awarded and who it was given to...to get this q correct, the searcher would have had to find a source which explained the whole issue, rather then say a chronological record which marks years with facts. That is the reason I asked for the extra info. As for whether or not each name is worth 10 points, that is up to you to decide as it is your game, but I'm sure that these names were to be found on the same web page. It is not as if the answerer would have to search out 5 different names. The same can be said for the other q, regarding the chess moves...all this information would be found together, but the player would have had to read within the page a little to get the info, which I always try to makle sure is a requirement...as I say Sage, i'm not trying to have points stripped just curious as to what can and cannot be posted in what category and why these two questions specifically have been chosen as multiple scorers when there are plenty of examples both past and present where 10 points are given to answers where more then 1 fact is required. I don't mind how the scoring is done, as you have said in the oprevious explanation, the points scoring is your perogative and if yiou choose to deal more points out to various questions as you see fit that is fine with me, but I'm not sure why you have singled me out and asked me to modify the questions that I post. I am just a little unsure now of what sort of questions of mine you are going to deem to be worth more then I originally thought, which could be critical to others playing the game and how they fair against others...

[This message has been edited by karmaloupster (edited 10-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by karmaloupster (edited 10-13-2000).]

#62704 - Fri Oct 13 2000 10:40 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
If GT had given only one or two names for part two of your question, would that answer have been wrong because he didn't list all five?

#62705 - Sun Oct 15 2000 06:20 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ok point taken Sage, you are right, if GTHO had named only 3 correctly it would be wrong. I have no trouble with the points that are given out, for some of the Q's it takes much time and patience to get the full answer down...I'll be keeping a close editing eye on my q's in the future so as to not give too many away, especially with the last week pending...

ta Sage,

KL

#62706 - Sun Oct 15 2000 09:59 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
KL - As you can see from the total scores, I have deducted 40 points from GT's score. This was done at GT's request. I gave him those scores to prove to you how multiple answers can hurt you, since my telling you didn't register. I think you understand now. In the future I will give the points for parts answered of multiple answer questions over two parts. I would prefer not to have multiple answer questions.

#62707 - Sun Oct 15 2000 11:21 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thanks Sage,

Apologies to all players who have been affected by this. Gtho, I still think you should keep the points but it is your call and I respect your right to play in the manner that you feel is right for you. You are to be commended for this and like I say I only hope you didn't feel pressured to give them up because that as I have said was not my intention at all. Your sense of fair play is an example of fair play which will as far as I am concerned set the standard to folllow, well done.

Sage, I fully appreciate the point you are making and you are correct in saying that the point is not lost on me (a little slowly I admit...)this time. I can appreciate the position that you are in with this issue as some, if not all of the questions that would fall into the multiple score category would not be clear cut as to points that should be given, and it becomes as we can see a fairly hot issue. I have chastised myself and have already got together my next load of Questions, which you will be happy to note are all single q's. Making your job more arduos then it is, is certainly not what I would want to be responsible for and I am sorry for not heeding your warnings previously and not thinking about the hassle involved..I am a repentant shootoutist, and a reformed waffler...

KL

#62708 - Mon Oct 16 2000 12:37 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
kl, your homework is to write out 100 times I must not .. no, I got a better idea, anyone in here know how the chinese water-torture works lol

#62709 - Mon Oct 16 2000 08:29 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
chessart Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA 
Congrats to KL for getting my q23 on countries which execute for crimes committed while a minor. Concerning Yemen, though, the source of my info was an article which stated that even Yemen had now stopped this practice, leaving only the countries I listed. This was a Christian Science Monitor article from last February. I wonder, KL, did your source indicate that Yemen has resumed the practice?

#62710 - Mon Oct 16 2000 10:23 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thanks ChessA...that was a bit of a "one-off" i think.. i really jsut put all the countries u listed into google and about the second listing had only those countries + Yemen...went there and there it was..very very lucky..i have spent hours trying get some of those..ie Gthos' letters one, which I think is a stumper now darn it..(states are involved i have feeling)..good q though..very unlucky to not get to the Pile..as for Yemen the page just listed it as one of the offenders..no blurb on Yemen...ta again..

KL

#62711 - Mon Oct 16 2000 12:23 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
ca, it's not the clerk of the house, you'll be as surprised as I was when you see the answer and its source .. check out this site, I had my answer all ready to for posting when, lo and behold, the game of Trivia Shootout lived up to its name, I got beaten to the draw lol .. it might not be the same one that kl found, as this one also listed Pakistan
quote:
The United Nations also noted that the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child prohibits capital punishment or LWOP for crimes committed by those under 18. (Those nations which do execute juveniles are Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, the United States, and Yemen.) Currently half the states in the United States allow capital punishment for murderers who kill at age 16 or 17. www.closeup.org/punish.htm#world

kl, you're gonna scream when you see the answer to the missing letter, as it's a sequence you look at (almost) every day .. run your eye down the main forums page

#62712 - Wed Oct 18 2000 08:57 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
jw, just trashed the Ingrid email I sent myself lol

#62713 - Thu Oct 19 2000 08:38 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
.. all the threads are now together

#62714 - Thu Oct 19 2000 10:12 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
jw, just trashed the groovy kind of email

sage, the answer kl emailed you for the Liverpool 4-0 Q63 is wrong, and in a PM the other day kl said he would send you an email stating this, as his source (the match commentator himself) was unreliable lol .. hmm looks like kl's pc at home is still down .. the correct answer for Q63 is on the Liverpool FC home page as six years, which is confirmed by a book I've got at home:-

Crystal Palace v Liverpool 20-Aug-1994 1-6

jw, maybe you should take another stumper (if u like) b4 the day expires, to be on the safe side, until this is sorted out

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002