Terms of Use

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#62715 - Thu Oct 19 2000 10:28 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney
oz downunder
jw, did I get Blanche right or wrong? is the question still live?

#62716 - Thu Oct 19 2000 10:29 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thanks GTHO for picking this up for JW to be able to play again..sorry, yes I am still on no access at home and have a limited time I can get on...Sage, I hope u recxeived the email...it was on the same email as the answers that I posted to you for the Wednesday Questions...Gtho is definetly right and Martin bloody "Mr Football" Tyler was wrong..apols all around, another source scrubbed off the reliable bits of trivia list...ok must dash and try to get some points..lol..cya

#62717 - Thu Oct 19 2000 11:16 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sorry all..looks like i've posted right on midnight...had limited access time today, I am very sorry but that was supposed to be for Thurday (12/10/00)..a very late post..is that Ok, if not then I'll just call it Friday's but the time of my terminal here, which looks like it is right had said 11:58, it did sit for a few secs and think about before it actually sent the post but I thought it would still be fine..when the return message came confirming the post from FT, my clock here was still on 59 minutes....ok just thought I'd check...ta

KL

#62718 - Fri Oct 20 2000 08:23 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

Loc: Vancouver Canada
gt,
your "Blanche" answer was not exactly wrong, but the answer I mailed to Sage was more specific as to how she died.
When I saw your answer, I almost emailed Sage to say it was acceptable, but then I thought I would wait it out until Sage made a recap. I dunno, it's a tough call on that one.
I should have made my question read : "how specifically did Blanche come to her end"...or something like that.
my bad

No biggie on my stumper guess of 8 yrs. Was just doing a fast wag.
which reminds me....I never asked, but always assumed "wag" stood for "wild ass guess". I must be right on that, but what is "swag"? Can't figure out what the "s" stands for.

Since I'm still here....I will taking a month off of shootout in November. My wife and I have bought our first house, which we take possession of on Nov. 22nd. We have lived in this rental house for 7 years+, so the idea of moving is very scary. I will be swamped. Actually, I'll probably be out of December's SO as well.
FYI, the new house is only 6 blocks away, so it's not a major uprooting. Of course, it is just far enough away that we can't just walk all of our moving boxes over. :P
anyhoo,
ttfn
(tight game this one is, leading into the blowout/catchup round. Say, what date will the blowout round start this month, since the last day is on a tuesday? Will it start the tuesday before hallowe'en?)

#62719 - Mon Oct 23 2000 03:05 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
jw, a swag is a very intelligent wag aka a scientific wild arse guess; the blow up - catch up round is the last week of the month = 5 days of SO, so we'll start that at 00:01 on Wednesday 25-Oct-2000, and next month still drop in and say hello, kl needs some hard Qs lol, and all the best with the move mate

kl, on one hand jw's posting answers to impossible questions (where he found the LV answer is beyond me!) and now u, ru a walking encyclopaedia on soccer? I'm gonna pull my modem out and retire it to the scrap heap. btw I've seen so much over the last week on LV, reefers, Scotland Yard, twins, JFK, DMC, Belushi, backwards and forwards, and then the batmo bloody mobile washed down with a cuckoo's nest whilst flying a flag, arf!

someone please shoot me

#62720 - Mon Oct 23 2000 03:06 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

In regards to the answer that I gave for Jw's "Reefer Madness" Question,

52. In the film "Tell Your Children" (a.k.a "Reefer Madness"), who is the first person (minor character) the audience sees go insane from the use of marijuana?
Jabberwock - 10-11-2000 09:31 AM

..the answer I gave was "Ralph". In all the sources I can find no other name is given. To describe the character I am talking about, Ralph is the guy who is at Jack's (the local dealer)apartment and is as one reviewer put it, "the weirdest of all the potheads", and is also the boy who spends the time that the trial is on in the locked apartment with Blanche and the piano, and is the character that tries to seduce Mary (twice). He is also the character that in the end kills Jack.

This is about all I can get..is there anything specific that you wanted here that I missed?

#62721 - Mon Oct 23 2000 05:12 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
  Kansas USA
My friends, I am having trouble again with my puter files. I found out that I was given the wrong puter again so got the one I should have but have lost all the email files and others. Need you people to work with me for a while til I catch up. If somebody answers your question, post that it's correct. GT, or somebody, if you could keep track of the updates for a couple days it would really help.

Thanks!

#62722 - Mon Oct 23 2000 05:22 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
roger
will post correct/wrong in the thread itself .. please delte them we're you're back on-line or the thread'll get messy

#62723 - Mon Oct 23 2000 08:29 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder

56. In the film "Reefer Madness", what is Blanche's fate? Jabberwock 10-12-2000 11:15PM

answer posted 10-16-2000 12:09AM
Blanche committed suicide

by jumping out of a window

jw, please let me know if this is what you were looking for, and then sage can then earn his monthly salary and bonus when he's back on-line

#62724 - Mon Oct 23 2000 08:46 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ok, just got yours and sage's posts GTHO..will amend the sheet as you have outlined...if u need any other stuff doen just PM or leave it in this thread...the John Charles one took me a while..had an inkling it would be Leeds related..lol..gort a lucky sentence, something like..."Juventus more then doubled the previous record...etc"...very lucky really....thought u would like the statue of liberty, Arc de triomphe etc one...having almost as much frustration with the JFK, Magna Carta etc one...which i notice is incorrect..as for my copy of "One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest", I have put out a blood contract on the person who last "borrowed" that one...well done on the "eleventh Hour" one JW, did you know that from solving the book, or from yhe net?..the book is so great for kids and adults...ditto GTho's comments on the move, and feel free to pop in and throw down another Canadian Cannon Q in the next few Weeks...

#62725 - Mon Oct 23 2000 08:47 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

Loc: Vancouver Canada
yes,
jumped out a window is what I was looking for..

what on earth is LV? (in your above post) you guys and your shortforms for things!

late for work right now, no time
ttfn

#62726 - Tue Oct 24 2000 12:16 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

JW...you deserve points for the Wag on the Scotland Yard Q....lol..wtg..I thought one of you must of played it...

#62727 - Tue Oct 24 2000 03:00 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
kl, geez mate where'd you find that one! you've got me scratching my head and checking a few things - that game is not recognised (retrospectively) by the SFA as a world cup match, it was a British Home Championship match, which FIFA decided to accept as a world cup qualifying group, but not the SFA unless they won; but then they only came second so it was a BHC match and not a WC match, despite what some sources say .. sort of like it was a BHC match and WC match and then it wasn't a WC match as far as the SFA is concerned .. there were ongoing disputes between the UK FAs and FIFA about recognition and qualifications and world cups in the middle of the 20th century etc etc ad infinitum .. the book I've got (and the SFA) says that is not the game in which the first world cup hat-trick was scored by Scotland .. I'm getting a head-ache and, as PaulE would say, a nosebleed - who said life wasn't meant to be easy - let's do this, post the first world cup hat trick for Scotland, as defined above (it's probably on the same page you're looking at) and the points are yours

jw, LV is Las Vegas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jw/kl/others, until sage stops running under ladders on Fri 13ths he's off-line and grounded, so we need to post correct/wrong in the SO thread whenever one of our Qs is answered .. kl you're first with the two SYard Qs, then jw with the cuckoo, then me with the hat trick after kl has his free shot at it in this thread

#62728 - Tue Oct 24 2000 05:14 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

LOl on the Scotland yard GTHO.. I really thought they you would buy the game if you couldn't get it up on line..lol..wouldn't go astray, one of the better board games that I intend to give to the kids...as for the damn Hattrick, you had me in fits of rage and frustration..I really thought at first it was a trick Q and that it must be in the Woman's World Cup..lol..doh...now the one I have isn't the first..Ok I understand what u are saying and u are right, it wasn't far away I don't think..there was only one other I could find...I'll go get it now..I was a bit suprised that the answer wasn't Leeds I admit..lol...any $ on me coming back with a certain Northern Club as the answer?..Okback ina flash..

BTW, I ahve posted in SO in relation to my 2 Q's that JW had a brave stab at earlier..posted it at 3.29 am (FT) sort of a PS to the previous...unfortunately both are incorrect...also GTHO, when on eof the Q's hist Stumper status, should the relevant person get rid of it from the potentially answerable list and add the answer and Q to the DSP?......may get out of hand otherwise..up to u...

KL..

Be back soon..with Leeds FC I fancy..lol

[This message has been edited by karmaloupster (edited 10-24-2000).]

#62729 - Tue Oct 24 2000 05:35 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ok GTHO the club in question is not Leeds FC, but Blackpool FC (told you I would be bringing back a Northern club as the answer..) and the player who has done what no other Scotsman (i think) has done before or since is by scoring three goals in a World Cup game was (the) Right Honorable John (Aberavon) Mudie, who slotted three past a awestruck Spainish defence on May 8, 1957 when Scotland 4 defeated Spain 2 in the World Cup 1958 Qualifying at Hampden Park, Glasgow. There were an amzing 88 980 scotsman in attendance to this rare feat and I'll bet double the number of empty whiskey bottle afterwards...ok catcha and thanks for the chance..ta
Referee:

#62730 - Tue Oct 24 2000 05:48 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
yes, gmta lol, there are a couple of stumpers expiring tonight* which we need to update between all of us
  • post in SO that they're now expired
  • then also post in Stumpers thread with the answer
    and then listen to the news service for some moron trying to jump off the harbour bridge

who's got the energy to do a complete unabridged list of questions with their poster and time, I took the shortcut and just listed the questions which are still alive by their numbers with nothing else

yep, this time it's not a Leeds United player - the Q is yours to finish, I think sage'll agree with your free shot to add to your answer as he's done it b4 in similar circumstances with most of us in this place - you wouldn't think a simple question like that would end up getting us in knots over what the word "first" means, 'n like I said once b4, it's becoming a dangerous word in SO and of itself is almost worth a couple of dozen lashes

* oz time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6:30am post wasn't showing when this was posted, correct, see TSO thread

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

points pending:

• 52 .. jw to get back to kl on his post above
  • 56 .. has been resolved by jw as per above
  • 65 .. kl, please post here that this one's resolved, I think it was but now can't find your post saying that

[This message has been edited by gtho4 (edited 10-24-2000).]

#62731 - Tue Oct 24 2000 06:39 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Anonymous
    No longer registered

Sorry about Q65 all around..bloody Liverpool, causing me grief even when the Hammers aren't being thrashed...the correct answer is 6 years as posted by GTHO as shown below (although marked as Q63 at the time..later amended by Sage as Q65)

posted 10-17-2000 02:55 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    63. Liverpool FC, recently enjoyed a 4-0 win away from their home ground of Anfield, when they defeated Derby County at Pride Park. This victory was Liverpool's biggest away win for how many years?
    six years

This is correct of course and I had sent emails to Sage to pay the points..probably still stuck somewhere in the ether...

GTHO I'll have a crack at posting the updated list of valid Q's if u like, and will dump those that are dead to the DSP..
    ..if players could fill out the answers in the space provided it might just work...

[This message has been edited by karmaloupster (edited 10-24-2000).]

#62732 - Tue Oct 24 2000 07:51 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Anonymous
    No longer registered

GTHO as per the Dead Stumper new entries, does this look right..

Q59 and Q60 to go on to the pile as per 3 or so hours ago....points pending on Q52, the others above it already gone...Chessart's Q63 to go on in about an hour?...that's how I'll go about it unless I hear otherwise..KL

#62733 - Tue Oct 24 2000 08:14 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    PaulE Offline
    Multiloquent

Loc: Leeds Yorkshire
    England UK
    I think I've sorted out and posted all the live questions.
    If I've missed/included any by accident I apologise in advance.
    I'm not getting much chance to get in at the moment but I'll try to keep calling in and help out as much as I can while Sage is offline.
    I might even try to answer a few while I'm at it!

#62734 - Tue Oct 24 2000 08:20 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Anonymous
    No longer registered

Wow..presto it's done..thanks muchly PE, that wwas what I was about to spend a couple of hours working out..lol...just a couple of points which either yourself or myself if you like might edit in there...I was dumping them into the Stumper Dead Pile as you were producing the list..sorry..Q's 59 and 60 are now officially dead and Chessart's Q63 is 13 mins away from it...and there are some Q's still pending either JW's or Sage's input...these are I think...Q52 for KL (JW to decide),
    and then 3 of Sage's Musical Gems:

S3 - for KL (Sage to call)
    S5, S8 - for JW (Sage to call)

..there is no real need to update the post if you all think it can wait, otherwise I might just get rid of the dead stuff sometime after Chessart's Q expires so that the list contains all valid Q's (for the rest of the day anyway)..

Thanks again PE and GTHO....BTW, watched the Leeds v MU game the other night live..u guys were done over the first two goals I reckon were very bad decisions..Yorke obviously offside, and Solskjer dived and got what amounts to a penalty when Beckham is on the field...will be smarting but I left the match thinking that the Whites could actually win it this year... I mean 11 regulars out, and a team of relative kids against Man U at Old Trafford..well done...markedly more hopeful then yet another home Hammers loss, this time we gave Arsenal a 2 goal gift to start the match.....aggghh.. I can Harry now, as he faces the press before the last round needing a miracle to stay up..." we are not worried about our ladder position, we know we are a top 10 outfit"...problem is letting everyone else know...

#62735 - Tue Oct 24 2000 08:52 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Anonymous
    No longer registered

GTHO...WTG on Kesey's last line...now that was A Scientific WAG...it sounds very familiar.. I can see the cheif through that window..gj

#62736 - Tue Oct 24 2000 10:43 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    gtho4 Offline
    Administrator

oz downunder
    kl, the cache on these PCs gets to me sometimes, your post above wasn't showing up when I first punched this one in, in fact the thread was showing up as 2 pages in total .. I thought I'd get thru all the pages in google quicker if I had 13 screens running and ran out of GDIs or whatever they're called and crashed, you'd think I'd 've learnt from the last time it happened; those words were coming up on a few of them as quotable quotes, I got lucky, and learnt a lot about the book in the process (I don't remember the last time I read a novel)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jw
    the post re Q52 is at 10-24-2000 06:48 AM above

[This message has been edited by gtho4 (edited 10-24-2000).]

#62737 - Tue Oct 24 2000 07:37 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Sagebrush Offline
    Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
      Kansas USA
    Just got my email streightened out. Wow! Had 62 messages waiting for me. Wil try and figure this stuff out for an update. Don't know how long it will take me. If you guys have kept it uap to date, I thank all of you. Catch-up/ Blowout round starts tomorrow. Let me go check out SO now. Will at least confirm the song titles ones.

#62738 - Tue Oct 24 2000 11:11 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    gtho4 Offline
    Administrator

oz downunder
    sage, welcome back to the land of the living
    kl, lol I think you've worked out I was jk

wtg jw! did u go 'n buy the board game to post that answer, and btw there's a great site on the web with strategy hints, but I went and lost the link!

#62739 - Tue Oct 24 2000 11:46 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Anonymous
    No longer registered

WB Sage..want to feel appreciated?...crash your computer for another few days again..lol...thankfully GT was able to grab hold of the steering wheel for a couple of days..ta GT..

I think JW is WAGing GT... I jhope so..lol..ity's not St Pauls' although it is on the board..BTW, is that strategy page you mentioned about "Scotland Yard"?..if so then any details would be greatly appreciated..

Back to the Equine land ofor me..

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002