Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#62740 - Wed Oct 25 2000 12:24 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney
oz downunder
kl, done
still can't find the link but for some reason I downloaded eight pages of stategy hints in pdf format adobe readable, so check out your email @hotmail, it's gone thru as a pdf attachment

#62741 - Wed Oct 25 2000 12:33 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thanks GT....won't hurt to see what the experts have too say...still no luck on the horse race...geesh I think they are trying to remove it more history this race of no losers..almost as hard to get as Sage's "Bulldog Drummin'" Quest..almost

#62742 - Wed Oct 25 2000 05:45 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
  Kansas USA
I couldn't find the S5 (probably passed it over) answer given, but S3 and S8 answers were wrong. Will try to have an update later this morning between runs.

#62743 - Wed Oct 25 2000 08:25 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sage..FYI...

JW's answer to S5. Groovy Kind of Love, was "The Minderbenders" posted 10-19-2000 10:49 PM.

#62744 - Wed Oct 25 2000 08:35 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

Loc: Vancouver Canada
gee
and here I thought my St. Paul's wag was right for a split second!
If the Blanches death question is hinging on me, I say give the points up for the suicide answer. My question didn't ask for specifics.

Sage, glad you are back, and as GT demonstrated, the job you do here in this thread is commendable! Excellent work!

#62745 - Wed Oct 25 2000 11:59 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sage...do you know what the result of Q52. which was JW's Reefer Madness one (The character "Ralph") that I answered. You posted that extra info was required and supplied that a few days ago....has it been taken into account scores wise (ie 10 points for me or Dead Stumper points for JW)..

Thanks

#62746 - Wed Oct 25 2000 06:47 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

GTHO..would u believe it, I finally work out a link to your Billy Wright, Cullinan Diamond etc Common link and then realise it's already gone....agggggggh.....my god Gtho, if the answer I have below is right, how did u dream this up, and how did u get the obscure clues you got?..there must would of been 1000's of possible clues...lol..very ingenius....Ok is this right..

67. What do the following have in common:
the Wright Brothers (no introduction needed)
Cullinan diamond (largest reported find at 3,106 carats)
Billy Wright (UK soccer player & England International)
gtho4 - 10-17-2000 09:38 AM

The key dates involved for each clue are:

Wright Brothers First Flight 17 - 12 - 1903 (17+12+1903) = 1932
Cullinan Diamond Discovered 26 - 01 - 1905 (26+01+1902) = 1932
Billy Wright Born 06 - 02 - 1924 (06+02+1924) = 1932

Is the answer that all three clues have key dates that when you add them across (ie Day + Month + Year) = equal the same number,
that is 1932.

If that wasn't it there is another link which could be your answer, the dates listed above all fall on a National Holiday in some part of the world Qatar (17/12), Australia/India (26/01) and NZ (06/02).

Great q....I had started looking at the QVic, JFK etc one...after looking at this I may not bother....wtg

KL

#62747 - Wed Oct 25 2000 08:00 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

"Ralph", is not a correct answer. HE is the not the minor characer that I was refering to.

#62748 - Wed Oct 25 2000 08:53 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
sage, where'd the points go for the blanche suicide question? ditto soccer question 4-0 Liverpool? if u think I'm lost (again) you're dead right

kl, tnx for the compliment but public holidays and 1932 are both wrong, I should compliment u for finding such obscure links! I'm still stuck on the bat bloody mobile and if it hasn't expired 'll take a wag at it pretty soon

[This message has been edited by gtho4 (edited 10-25-2000).]

#62749 - Wed Oct 25 2000 09:25 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

OK JW, I was never certain of that one..dying to see the movie though...

GT, no way...no t another link between the wrights and the Culliann Diamond..I thought that 1932 had to be it...just coincidence, typical..lol..I am killing to know what it is. though...Ok gotta dash happy bat hunting...KL

#62750 - Wed Oct 25 2000 10:34 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

#62751 - Thu Oct 26 2000 08:30 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Jabberwock Offline
Prolific

Do the current "stumpers" stay alive for the duration of BLOW OUT round?
I seem to remember last month, that all the stumpers were extended, to be "alive" for the entire BLOWOUT week...
anyone?

#62752 - Thu Oct 26 2000 09:43 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
jw, stumpers expire as normal in the blowout week just like another other week .. this is what usually happens at the end of the month with unexpired stumpers - they become the Qs which open the new month, and they stay on the board for the whole of the first week, and expire together at that time (irrespective of which day during that week they were due to expire) .. how's the house moving going? you want any help? we're exporting kl at the end of the month lol

#62753 - Thu Oct 26 2000 10:02 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
kl, re the ODI milestone of 1000 runs reached recently with a six - I've gone though all LOIs during the calendar year 2000 up until yesterday in which a batsman got to this milestone (using as a source the ODI batting averages of every player of every country) and, besides Damien Martyn, Ahhar Mahmood and Mahela Jayawardene (as per the answer posted in the main thread, which are all wrong), there are "only" two other players, giving a total of five, who've reached this milestone during the year, and they both did it recently:

Nasser Hussain .. of England on 05-Oct-2000 but his 1000th run in the match on that day came off a hit to the boundary for four, as per a ball-for-ball match report

Abdur Razzaq of Pakistan on 11-Oct-2000 but he did not hit a six in the match on that day, as per the scoreboard for that match

did you get this info off a commentator who's related to Martyn Tyler? lol .. can u spend two secs and recheck your source please as this modem is about to go into melt-down tnx

#62754 - Thu Oct 26 2000 10:14 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

I'm on to it GTHO..you have theman (Hussain) the game was against Kenya at the ICC tournament a couple of weeks ago when he hit 98 i think....he hit through one and it soared what seemed to be the boundary...the commentators certainly called it as such..they immediately said that had with that Six passed 1000 runs in ODI....I'll go check the out some sites so that I can hopefully show I haven't been leading u up garden paths for the whimsy of it...the points are yours though either way..he's the guy..

Sage, please take this as confirmation that GTho's answered this correctly and he should get the points..

When will I learn with TV reporters huh?..

#62755 - Fri Oct 27 2000 04:43 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
hey Davjack, oi!

well done mate, but thank heavens the question's expired! maybe sage'll give you a bonus for solving it before he posts the answer in the stumper pile

now get your arse back in here and post a question, you're not getting off that lightly, and in case you don't read the SO Input thread, an email's on its way

Davjack is a trivia nut like most good people I know, and a management accountant at this place I'm at at the moment, was last year, and will be next year the way I'm going

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

at the Sydney Olympics the war-cry was:-
ozzie ozie ozzie
oi! oi! oi!

the Athens Organising Committee has just announced the war-cry for the 2004 games:-
olive olive olive
oil! oil! oil!

#62756 - Fri Oct 27 2000 06:21 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Welcome Davejak, I hope u enjoy it and decide to flaot back in every now and then, like evry 4 hours or so..vgj on the answer to Gt's until then unanswerable q....I'd hate to see what sort of number link battle may unfold...now maybe u can put to bed a couple of theories that have been mooted about regarding the playing style of the undoubted "big scalp' of this game,

(a) Gtho4 is not an acronym for "Guess-free Tracking and Hunting Omnimaster", mark IV, and is not in fact a futuristic computer programm in it's 4th development that is programmed to search to the ends of the internet until the information is found in record speed. If faced with the scenario of the info not being on the net, be able to guess with the highest possible degree of scientific knowledge available...
(b) Gtho4 is not a weekend-hacker who has unlocked the secrets of intercepting email as it is delivered....
(c) Gtho4 does not work at the southern hemisphere data collection site in Murgon..
(d) gtho4 is not a cybor version of Steve Austin, rebuilt by the Australian Tax Office and used as a secret weapon against the real tax cheats ...the guys who claim laundry expenses when they clearly should be claiming for uniforms...the real black hole in australia's tax equilibrium...don't believe any of that Packer rubbish, we all know he earnt $512 last financial year..maybe Kerry should actually be on the slave-for-the-dole gig thats' going at the moment...trying to think of when that was last around, now the egyptians thought it was a good idea..and hey 3 Pyramids at Giza is no mean feat...

I mean i don't believe a word of it myself but u know how these things are..lol..but seriously you wouldn't be able to maybe accidently lock him in a strong room of paperwork for the next say 5 or 6 days, one without acees to the outside world preferably..lol..locked in an elevator with me and the list of Olympic bidding Cities indeed..haha..

good luck dave if u do decide to play, I'm sure i'll need it..

#62757 - Fri Oct 27 2000 07:24 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
kl,

oi! please don't tell me drive a holden Fords rule
just like The Might Whites thank you very much

.. check these two sites out for the 1000 run question .. this one has the complete ODI batting record for Hassain, in date sequence for each LOI he's played .. http://database.cricket.org/perl/sdb/sdb_playerid=1952&class=odi
and this one has the ball by ball report of that match earlier this month, and if you add back and forth from his run total at the end of the previous match you'll find his scoring stroke for the 1000th run was a four and not a six .. http://database.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/2000-01/OD_TOURNEYS/ICCKO/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ENG_ICCKO_ODI-PQF3_05OCT2000.html
there, it's all done 4u (pity the tax office aren't as helpful), let us know so sage can fix this 1000 run question and the 4-0 Liverpool question at the same time, simultaneously

------------------
the Ford Falcon GT-HO Phase 4 is an oz car from the 70s that still howls

reducing width of page
this'll fix it

[This message has been edited by gtho4 (edited 10-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by gtho4 (edited 10-27-2000).]

#62758 - Fri Oct 27 2000 11:24 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thanks Gtho..I was still looking forlornly for a site which had him raising it with a 6...the points are certainly yours...

Sage, please give the points to Gtho for his answer and remove it from the active list...thanks

And ta again Gt for that, i could of been weeks looking for asite that didn't exist..

#62759 - Fri Oct 27 2000 10:57 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
roger, geez kl, hope sage can keep track of all this

jw, the 9 o'clock gun is about to go off!

#62760 - Sat Oct 28 2000 01:24 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

JW..keep up the wags I love it...I'm trying to get Q's now which I think may be able to give you something to work with..lol..nice work

#62761 - Sat Oct 28 2000 02:25 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
Davjack - It's good to see you back in the game with us. Hope you are back to stay with us a while. As for your answer to Q73, it was correct, but unfortunatly you were one day late. It went to the dead pile the day before. 20 points wouldn't help you for this game anyway. LOL. A new game will start on Wed., Nov. 1st. Join us for that game. Also, I will be posting a "High Noon" shootout game on Tuesday, Oct. 31st, to start off next month's game. Hope to see you playing that and the next game of shootout!

KL - In a short period of time the numbering sequence has been messed up three times. All three of these mis-numbered problems have been started by you. I am not chewing you out, just asking (pleading with) you to be more careful when you number your new questions. OK? You may not realize how much harder it is to verify correct answers when the numbers are out of whack. You are not on my "Kill on sight!" list ... yet. LOL

#62762 - Sat Oct 28 2000 02:44 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sage...guilty as charged and I certainly can appreciate how difficult it would be..geesh it's hard enough to work out answering them when they get out of whack...apols and whatever you do pleae I don't want to make it onto that list..although I must be walking the precipice. How about as penance I knock up a spreadsheet which hasa list of numbers in a column to say 300 to be sure and as players begin new Q's they have to go the spreadsheet and assign the # to themselves. That way if 2 players are in the midst of posting Q's, tehy won't be able to use the same #..first to assign the # gets it.

I'm not sure how it all works with Ft but it would be something like an attcahment I suppose..or it's own thread maybe? Anyway I'll send it too you via email and u can decide if and how it could help..

Have a great weekend all..

Kl

#62763 - Sat Oct 28 2000 03:31 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
can I come and watch kl being shot lol

suggestions:
(re missing questions and doubled up numbering - which btw gives me a head-spin thinking about it and what you do at your end to keep track of it)

if a number is missed leave it blank .. lawyers do that when they remove a clause from a long contract: "this clause number not used", "this page is left blank intentionally"

if a number is used twice or (heaven forbid) three times then add the letter a after the first double-up and the letter b after the second double-up .. Q43 Q43a Q43b .. it'll give you a better chance of matching up answers in your email with the answers posted in the thread

there's my tuppence worth
next ..

#62764 - Sat Oct 28 2000 03:39 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
GT - You were right about both being answered. I overlooked it and will correct the totals. I have already deleted Q87 from the active file. I had given you 10 pts for Q65 already and 10 points for Q87. Q87 was a stumper, not a daily when you answered, but since it was the blowout/catch-up round you should have received 20 pts. Therefore KL's total should be -10 and yours +20. Will go edit it now.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002