Terms of Use

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#62765 - Sat Oct 28 2000 04:07 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney
oz downunder
no worries sage, and you're right it was a stumper, just checked - new prescription for spectacles last month weren't much bloody use lol

the post in front of yours wouldn't 've been showing up when you posted, some suggestions for your consideration ..

[This message has been edited by gtho4 (edited 10-28-2000).]

#62766 - Sat Oct 28 2000 06:14 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Gtho...I was just thinking about those two scenarios when I was doing up the spreadsheet..came to the same conclusuions you did....if one is missed, probably the easiest method is to leave it out as you said. As for when you get some inconsiderate sod taking a number already allotted (now who could that be), adding a, b etc is still going to be vaguely confusing will at least save you having to renumber it all which would really be a blow in Shootoutist-Sagebrush relations.

These are just suggestions mind like the spreadsheet which I have done and am sending to you now. The spreadsheet would also be able to accomodate GTHO's idea not long back about a Shoot Out Question database. At the end of each month I could update the completed spreadsheet with the results of each Q (ie answered as Daily, Answered as Stumper, Dead Pile etc) and by whom and on what date. With that in mind you will notice that I have put some additional columns in for post-month updating. the general day to day use of the spreadsheet would be the first 4 columns Question #, Created By, Date, Question. Players could access this like a network share file type of scenario and take the next number, add their initals, date it and then type in their Question. Then they could block copy the text to the FT reply to Shoot out. If one player was using the spreadsheet it would be unavailable for others until the other player is finished therefore removing the potential problem of 2 players taking a number simeltaneously.

Gtho I will send you a copy for editorial comment...and anyone else who wants one..input would be appreciated. Even if we don't use this officially in the day to day game, I will be doing this anyway so as to keep the database that you talked about. I haven't forgotten and when I get a spare few hours when i don't have to search for bloody obscure common numbers between pieces of history and historic people I will update on a month per month basis.

Sage, Gtho have set this up a spreadsheet, with each excel "Worksheet" a different month and I have done them up to Dec 2001. I have also completed the first couple of lines as an example.

Sage if you want to use any of this then just yell. gtho I will await your comments and then start updating last few months when I can.

#62767 - Sat Oct 28 2000 06:29 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
barbs42 Offline
Forum Adept

96. What novel ends with the line.."Let us clearly understand what a miracle is. It's something contrariwise to the course of nature done by power of Will..." ?

Jabberwock - is it definite that it is considered a novel. I am coming up with it as the ending to a "short story" by a famous author.

#62768 - Sat Oct 28 2000 06:40 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
barbs42 Offline
Forum Adept

I read about the tought of using a spreadsheat etc to keep track of questions and to try to cutdown on duplicates and or skipped numbers. As a newcomer I can tell you that keeping track of questions that are asked and whether or not answered is more than a little confusing. Reading thoughts on using a spreadsheet etc does seem to make sense but if you want new people to join in then I think they would start thinking too complicated.
Any way possible to have a different way of numbering questions - example each person has their own numbering like fist two leters or digits of there user name then start at 1.
for example if I ask a question it would be BA1 the next would be BA2 and so on.
This way a new person could join in without thinking of "duplicate" numbers or skipping numbers.
Also then when trying to answer a question the one doing research on it would know immediately who asked the question to begin with.

#62769 - Sat Oct 28 2000 08:17 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
.. now that's a great idea, prefacing the number with the players initials each with our own sequence, so that we all know who posted the question, as well, absolutely brilliant, we'd never end up with duplicates or missing numbers, and we'd be able to id the owner of the question as a bonus, so sage can remind them (or shoot them) if they've posted a question but haven't emailed the answer to him ... BA56 would be different from GT56 and KL56 and JW56 and DJ56 and PD56 and CA56 etc etc until we had more players than there were letters in the alphabet

.. hmmm I think you're onto something b42, but sage can't keep track of things if we're at BA37, GT41, CA24, KL371, DJ7, JW53, PD31, PE29, TF13, (have u noticed that so far they're all primes), JFK63, PT76, DB122, SB83, BW105 .. sage's pc'll melt in unison with the modem and the calculator, how about this slight variation

since sequential numbering each month gives sage the ability to keep track of things and where everything is in the thread, where we're at and where we've been, let's try this suggestion:-

• keep the numbers in sequence, as we have now, plus each of us must put our initials in front of each question as we punch and post
    so if by chance three of us post questions within minutes of each other and all use the same numbers, it doesn't matter, each question will still be distinguishable if we duplicate a number, and if we miss one it counts like a blank tile in scrabble, zilch .. the only problem I see is ensuring sage doesn't (still) miss one when we he does his update when these duplicates do occur, but it must be easier than what he goes thru at the moment ... this was posted as Q56 but it should be Q58, which makes Q57 now Q59, now this bloke's answered Q56 and someone else's answered Q58, is that the original wrong numbered question or the newly orrected numbering, now which answer in my in-box goes with which question in this thread blah blah blah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

b42, knowing what's been answered or not is a risk we all take in this game, until sage updates .. there is nothing stopping anyone of us answering any question we like .. sometimes the same question will be answered twice on the one day, as the second poster doesn't believe the first answer is right, so he or she posts his attenmpt, and other times we talk to each other in SO Input and tell each other "bad luck ya got it wrong" or even "wtg yea you got it right wd" which lets us know what's going on b4 the next update comes thru .. but in the end the arbitrator of what is wrong and what is right and where the points go is with sage, who deserves a medal for putting up with us

#62770 - Sat Oct 28 2000 08:21 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    gtho4 Offline
    Administrator

oz downunder
    oops, one typo, and 24's not a prime

#62771 - Sat Oct 28 2000 08:58 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Sagebrush Offline
    Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
      Kansas USA
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It shows that you like and care for the game. Any suggestion that gets new players into Shootout are really appriciated.

How about if I gave a 50 point bonus for every new player that a current/previous player encourages to play the next High Noon game and November's Shootout Game.

BTW, Next Month's game will stop on Friday 17th. Then the Blowout/Catch-up round will be the last four days startin Monday 27th. That will give everybody a break for the week of Thanksgiving.

'

#62772 - Sat Oct 28 2000 11:00 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Anonymous
    No longer registered

Whilst consolidating all thje past Q's and A's we can keep some sort of record of all the Q's asked(maybe to realise as a Board Game in a future life!) I might do up that Quiz made up of old and interesting Stumpers and place it in the "Quizzyland" list, of Funtrivia with a challenge type Introductary Speil challenging people to the hardest possible Quiz made up of questions from other players of FT.

The only way I found this corner of the net was through the the "Quizzyland" area. I was bored of it one day and checked out a link any link...and found this. I am sure there are heaps of people especially who play those Quizzyland games, that would be instantly addicted to this one. Who knows if the quiz is good enough and makes their "Top 40" you may find yourself swamped Sage and have to enlist the help of an assistant...I know somebody who is qualified...and has heaps of time that he devotes to linking people together with rocks and paper and stuff who would be keen as..

Cya,

KL

#62773 - Sun Oct 29 2000 09:37 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    chessart Offline
    Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA 
    Excellent idea, KL! You could pick out the best questions, stumpers or otherwise, and start posting Quizzyland quizzes. The introductory spiel will alert the Quizzyland players (who are numerous) to the Shootout game.

A word of warning. Don't expect the players to give the quizzes a high ranking. I have learned that players tend to give low rankings to quizzes that are hard. At one point I did an analysis and found a very high correlation between how well players did on my quizzes, and how high they were ranked.

Thsi goes along with what Paul Paquet (who does the excellent Cornerstone Trivia quizzes) says in his essay on formulating good trivia questions. He recommends questions which players get right from 2/3 to 3/4 of the time. The questions here, of course, will be gotten right much less than this.

But don't let that deter you. Putting the q's in Quizzyland will preserve them for others to enjoy in the future. A worthy endeavor!

#62774 - Mon Oct 30 2000 12:35 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Anonymous
    No longer registered

Thanks Chess, like you I reckon we will get a few...I'm not renowned for being easy to deter so no drama on that front ..lol.

I will post a copy of what i was planning to put on the Quizzyland Boards hopefully by the end of this week..depending on how much is taken by the the last mad scramble to the line. Either way I will post it here for everyone's editorialisation (I wonder if I would be challenged in Snake for that one) and comment .... the original will be very rough so don't expect a work of art because it won't be one...any other player's input will be taken gladly.

I know what u mean about the Quizzyland CA, and there being a correlation between how low the average % correct and how high the ranking # of your game is. I put one on about 3 months ago, that was about the comedy BBC TV show, Black Adder, and since about the first week when it started at the top and got played as it was new. Since then I've seen it slide down to 1700 odd and it has been deemed "Difficult"..I suppose it is human nature Chess..if u do badly, a lot of folk will just say it was a bad quiz..lol..not "Shoot Out " material though obviously...lol

GTH04..just before I go and I'm posting this so now as not to cast any pall over the game but I am watching Leeds vs Bradford at the moment and I won't say anything other then you must get a chance to see the goal scored by , scored by, ... guesss who on deut for Bradford...yep..Stan the Man Collymore!

I'll bugger off now because the game really has just begun so need to panic if u read this before catching the game...but do u remember the goal Stan scored on debut for Liverpool...that cracking 50m drive..well hold on to your Northern Bitter because this one makes the one he scored at anfield look like a tap in..I won't spoil it by even trying to explain it...amazing, and just watching it (and it was early on) you just got the feeling he was up for it again...and how...

Cya and GL all on the run home..

KL

[This message has been edited by karmaloupster (edited 10-29-2000).]

#62775 - Mon Oct 30 2000 09:35 AM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    gtho4 Offline
    Administrator

oz downunder
    ca, your world series seven quiz went on-line yesterday, wonder how that one will rate!

kl, go for it! if your efforts succeed in getting some more players in here then your a genius, put in a plug for TSO in the blurb at the start of the quiz .. what category will you put it in? maybe General ..

shameless plug - I've managed to get one quiz up - it's in General under USA Specific and it's called odds and ends .. its ranking is in the 2000s and its rated tough .. like ca said it's probably ended up with that rating cause I made it a wee too hard

#62776 - Mon Oct 30 2000 02:05 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Sagebrush Offline
    Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
      Kansas USA
    I would say that yoou shouldn't do it KL. The reason is because people would think that Shootout is too hard to do, therefore discouraging them to try it. Those quiz questions are to be answered without doing research and the stumpers weren't answered after people had done extensive research to find the answers.
    If you want to show something about Shootout, why not take one or two of the High Noon games and submit them. In the header say that it is a High Noon game that is played in "Fun and Games" forum. That would lead them to Shootout.

#62777 - Mon Oct 30 2000 05:49 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    gtho4 Offline
    Administrator

oz downunder
    .. hadn't thought of that - they'd all end up being rated impossible, at the bottom of the pile .. hmm

p.s. please excuse typos in my previous post
    eforts =efforts
    your=you're

#62778 - Mon Oct 30 2000 08:42 PM Re: "Shootout" 9th Input
    Anonymous
    No longer registered

Good point Sage. I had started to think of that when I was looking through some old dead ones to put in. You are on the money, basically there would be an average of about 5% or less and it would certainly deter people. Your High Noon idea is a good one and I will follow that I think. Besides, the high Noon Q's are complete with other "wrong" answers....and good ones too.

KL

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  ozzz2002