Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#633056 - Fri Jun 10 2011 02:53 PM Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia�USA�...
...there is already one with that name on the site. I had claimed an author's challenge for a Quiz Title suggested by Terry long ago. I worked on it --off and on-- for months, and I finally submitted it last week. When I looked for it on the list of claimed challenges to remember whose it was so I could add an acknowledgement of that fact to the endnote of the quiz (which I'd forgotten to do), I couldn't find it. So I searched among the quizzes on line, and I found that it already exists as a quiz. Someone else created one with the same name. I guess what I have to do now is edit the name of the quiz to be something else, or is it possible for two quizzes to have the same name?

Edited by shuehorn (Fri Jun 10 2011 02:54 PM)

#633057 - Fri Jun 10 2011 02:55 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Perhaps I could just add a number two after the name, since it goes very well with the quiz I worte...

#633058 - Fri Jun 10 2011 02:56 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
Each quiz is uniquely identified with a quiz number as well as as having a title. It might be a bit confusing to players (and only a bit) if they're in the same category, but there shouldn't be anything preventing your quiz from going online as well.

#633059 - Fri Jun 10 2011 03:05 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa OntarioCanada
Two or more quizzes can have the same name. Originality and variety is great of course, but there quite a few quizzes out there with same titles. Like a lot of movie subcategories have identically named quizzes since a lot of people just put the movie title as their quiz title.

#633081 - Fri Jun 10 2011 03:33 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Thank you both! That eases my mind. They will definitely be in different categories, so it should be fine.

smile

#633097 - Fri Jun 10 2011 03:53 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Sue, what likely happened is your name was bumped off the challenge title many moons ago when Terry last forced the challenge list to spit out any titles which had been 'inactive' as per certain criteria (I think 'untouched' for about half a year...maybe less). This was done over a year ago however, and the list no longer has a limit (so I've been tossing back titles from inactive, long-gone, players with nothing filled in on the template, but that wouldn't explain why you still had the template, I can only delete, not abandon). I remember Rossian claiming the title over a year ago and it was down near the bottom of the list and used in an Author's Lounge challenge.

Regardless, as the others have said, your quiz is perfectly fine with the same title; I'm eager to see it on the site. smile

Edited by kyleisalive (Fri Jun 10 2011 03:54 PM)

#633116 - Fri Jun 10 2011 04:54 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
The other day I was looking for a quiz by searching on the name of the quiz and found about four or five with the same name, I think that it was Back To The Futute. Someone reported an error throught main site feedback which is not the place to report problems and I was trying to locate the quiz.

Edited to say make that twelve!

Edited by sue943 (Fri Jun 10 2011 04:58 PM)

#633177 - Fri Jun 10 2011 10:01 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks, kyleisalive! It made it and is out there for playing. It's actually the first one that has gotten on without any corrections! I am a very happy camper! I did find a couple of typos I will be correcting, however! Thanks so much for the help and the encouragement. And thanks to Terry for the great title. It's funny how someone else's inspiration sometimes makes it easier to write a quiz! I highly recommend anyone with writer's block to look at the challenges and choose away!

#633180 - Fri Jun 10 2011 10:17 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Wow, I must have taken over a year to finish this challenge because my quiz went immediately to archived status! I've submitted the corrections via correction notice and my own comments accepting my corrections. Do I feel schizophrenic right now? A little! Thanks to whichever of the editors who ends up doing the clean-up that I cannot do myself.

#633185 - Fri Jun 10 2011 10:31 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Corrections fixed- my bad for letting a couple slip through. wink

Your template was started in December 2009, so archival was a given with this one.

#633191 - Sat Jun 11 2011 01:27 AM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK
Hey! That's my title! Although I didn't use the exclamation mark (as far as I remember!). As has already been said, Sue, there is absolutely no problem and our quizzes are totally different. In fact, it just proves how one title can inspire totally different ideas, so I second your recommendation to use the challenge titles for inspiration.

#633263 - Sat Jun 11 2011 02:55 PM Re: Dilemma - Took so long writing a quiz that...
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks for allowing me to follow in your footsteps with this one. I loved your quiz too. It's linguistically fun and educates too, so it is the perfect combination.

Moderator:  agony