Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63347 - Sun Nov 05 2000 03:19 PM Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
  Kansas USA
Last weeks game was an exciting one with the lead switching back and forth. It came down to the last day and Mamaja prevailed as the winner.

Hope you enjoy this week's topic and we have more players.

Congratulations to Mamaja and welcome back to Boyscout!

Good luck everyone!

#63348 - Sun Nov 05 2000 05:30 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
Big Congrats, Mama...Great Win! WTG!

Have a great week everyone!

BL

------------------
Coffee, chocolate, men...some things are just better rich.

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#63349 - Sun Nov 05 2000 10:27 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Congrats Mama..well done Fort and Parts great game and gj all..

#63350 - Sun Nov 05 2000 10:35 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
Washington USA
Hurrah for Mamaja!

#63351 - Mon Nov 06 2000 03:23 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sorry about the late post...I had it ready to go at 1:30 but had soem passwords drama....grr..better now though and it seems no one played so the game is on..

------------------
If all the worlds wealth were divided between every man, woman & child
presently alive on the planet, we would all have $13 million a piece.

$13 Million for every single Human....

#63352 - Mon Nov 06 2000 08:31 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Partsdude Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
Great job Mama!! I didn't think I could catch you the last day.

#63353 - Mon Nov 06 2000 09:54 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thanks, everybody!!! It was a great week, but I wouldn't have made it if a couple of people hadn't been asleep at the wheel, or conducting their businesses instead of putting their priorities into line and playing first like I do!!!!
Happy week, everybody!!!!
p.s. Great topic, Sagie!!! Who would have thunk it, coming from you??? (the fact that the topic has a western flair, not whether or not you could come up with something great - I just re-read my post and thought I'd better make that clear!)

------------------
God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.
Jewish proverb

[This message has been edited by Mamaja (edited 11-06-2000).]

#63354 - Tue Nov 07 2000 12:27 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Smiley Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Waiting for the New Year!!
Yes, I see I goofed...but the story was still interesting..:-) Happy Monday!

#63355 - Mon Nov 06 2000 02:48 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Congratulations Mama!!! I won't be playing this week. Good luck to all!

#63356 - Mon Nov 06 2000 02:51 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

I'd give it to you, Smiley, cuz it is a neat story!!!!!
------------------
Jewish proverb

[This message has been edited by Mamaja (edited 11-06-2000).]

#63357 - Mon Nov 06 2000 04:02 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Mama, you rascal, beating me by four points..Grrrrr! Just kidding, of course...GREAT GAME and CONGRATULATIONS!

Good topic, Sage. I´d better go do my research ´cause so far I have zilch on this! LOL

#63358 - Mon Nov 06 2000 11:22 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
BagLady - I have been putting off and putting off telling you that your entry for today is invalid. It isn't connected to Western history. The tribes that used the language are from Canada, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. Neither being a Western state. Language is not a person, place or event. Unless you can prove that it is connected to Western history, I have to classify it as invalid and give yoou no points for today. I am sorry.

Smiley - The rules do say that it has to be last name first. So, your entry is invalid also and will receive no points for today.

I hope that neither of you two allow this to discourage you from continuing with the game.

#63359 - Tue Nov 07 2000 10:18 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thank you, Fortunata!! The competition around here is awful stiff, and if you hadn't had an off-day, you'd have been there!!! So, thank you twice!!! Drinks on me!!!!

------------------
Jewish proverb

#63360 - Tue Nov 07 2000 02:21 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

OK, so how persnickety are we going to be??? I count two spelling errors in today's entries. Forgivable typos or pointless entries???? Kinda makes you want to go "Hmmmm...."

------------------
Jewish proverb

#63361 - Tue Nov 07 2000 03:39 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
BagLady Offline
Prolific

From what I've read, Chief Joseph's given name isn't correct as given: NIMIPUTIMT HINMATUYALATKEKT, JOESPH.

The 'Nimiputimt' part of it is incorrect. Chief Joseph was of the Nez Perce or Nimipu/Nimiputimt Tribe, which isn't part of his actual name.

His given name, depending on which biography you choose, was Hinmaton Yalatkit or Hinmatuyalatkekt...and he was given the name Joseph shortly after his birth.

Like Mama, I'm not sure what's up with the names that are spelled wrong...that'd have to be Sage's call.

BL

------------------

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#63362 - Tue Nov 07 2000 08:16 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
KL - It looks like BagLady is right. Your entry is invalid and you receive no points for today's entry unless you can validate your entry.

As far as typos, minor ones that don't take confuse an entry could be overlooked. However, I will leave it to the majority of players playing this week. What do you think?

#63363 - Tue Nov 07 2000 10:02 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Things look grim for the defence....no probs on being ruled out, can I get a stay of proceedings so I can have a look at the ones I saw...I'd say I'm out, I know squat about the naming traditions involved here but I might just post the page I got it from if it's worth it...i'm not phased on spelling either..leave it up to the more experienced Snakers...

------------------

#63364 - Wed Nov 08 2000 02:47 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
Washington USA
Sorry I didn't post last night -- couldn't tear myself away from the election coverage.

#63365 - Wed Nov 08 2000 03:04 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Cellar..

you can still get a chance to post today sometime..check the times that people playing are posting at and see if you can fit in somewhere....just post your intended time before you have your go in the "Snake Urgent Announcements" thread and let Sage and the people playing after you know what you are doing..

------------------

#63366 - Wed Nov 08 2000 10:14 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

I have an un-challenge, although two days late and probably a dollar short - on behalf of Bag-Lady's entry Monday. As I was driving down the street last night, westward bound, it occurred to me that all things are relative. This week's topic does have some vaguenes about it, and that being the case, I would remind you that back in the early days of settling this country, EVERYTHING WAS WEST!!! Although Michigan and Wisconsin and Minnesota would not now be counted in "The West," neither would Kansas, but nobody would dispute Dodge City as falling into this week's topic.
As much as it pains me (because it puts her ahead of me!), I think BagLady's entry for Monday should be allowed.
On another topic, Karma, if Cellar missed yesterday, I don't think that can usually be made up the next day. Check with Sage but I think you can only squeeze in on the same day that you miss.

------------------
Jewish proverb

#63367 - Thu Nov 09 2000 12:24 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Mamaja...you are right (I think)...sorry I am posting first at the moment and have been playing from Cellardoor's answer, that had me thinking Cellarwood and I on same day when you are right (i think) Cellarwood is last post of a day and I am first of a new day..confused?..join the club..except it got me to thinking that under the current rule, that is a player can only make up a missed spot on the same day, isn't this unfair to players later in the day?...take Cellar who due to 11.30pm spot has no time on the clock to post again even if they are only say an hour late...i don't mind the way it is..lol...i get 22 hours to repost but can't help thinking that it would be fairer if players had a the folllowing 24 hour period to repost...regardless of day. Just a thought.. I am a Libra so balance and equity are important to me...lol.....

gj mamaja on your "un-challenging" , sportswomaniness always applauded....now if only Baglady will OD on sportniswomaness and in a moment of insanity, drop the challenge against my admittingly ignorant and misguided attempt....worth a shot..

------------------

#63368 - Thu Nov 09 2000 12:47 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Oops!!!

[This message has been edited by Mamaja (edited 11-08-2000).]

#63369 - Thu Nov 09 2000 12:48 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

I have to agree, Karma, that it isn't very fair for the "Late" folks not to have a shot at a make-up entry. I lose track in this whole process anyway of who's on what day and when it's tomorrow yesterday in Hong Kong, so I'm a poor one to speak. But I think if you miss, you ought to have a shot at it, unless you just regularly skip y our turn when you don't like the letter you're stuck with!!!
As for BagLady, I was totally amazed with her challenge of your entry, mostly because I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW SHE KNEW THAT???!!!! Don't know that we can make it a package deal, but I'll double up on the bloody marys and see where that gets us. BL, you up for a drink???? LOL!!!
P.S. I'm celebrating today anyway, because it's Friday for me: I get Friday for Veteran's day (I didn't know they counted being in the trenches with a teenager as being a veteran, but hey, I'm there!) and my boss suggested that I burn some of my leftover days by taking tomorrow. So drinks on Mama for the rest of the afternoon, and BL, you're probably on your own to figure out who you're following the rest of the week. I doubt I'll be out of bed, much less on line!!!

------------------
Jewish proverb

#63370 - Wed Nov 08 2000 01:13 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
BagLady Offline
Prolific

First order of business before any response to the above:

Drinks all around! Thanks Mama, although after only 4 hours sleep last night, I'll definitely be joining you under the desk for some much-needed shuteye!

Now, my responses. I find it almost impossible to believe that you, Mama, even questioned how I could possibly know the skinny on Chief Joseph! I'm crushed! lol Anyhow...the answer is really quite simple...The Discovery Channel a couple of weeks ago. Great show, although I admit I had to hit available references for actual spellings!

Karma...I've always prided myself in my good sportswoman-like conduct, and I'm sorry to say, I have to stick to my 'Joseph' challenge. You and Mama can try and ply me with booze, but short of tying me up and torturing me, I'll stand by my decision! lol

Mama...thanks for coming to my assistance on Monday's entry, but I believe Sage has certain limits on the guidelines of what he considers 'The Old West' boundaries, and what's considered to be connected with its history.

Glad to hear you're getting a couple of days off...enjoy! Did I understand correctly that you won't be posting Thursday and Friday, or is it that you might not?

Have a great day!

BL

------------------

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#63371 - Wed Nov 08 2000 02:17 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 47 - How the West was won.
Anonymous
No longer registered

Oops! I did it again. I've got to get more patient with my server!!! Right now!!!

[This message has been edited by Mamaja (edited 11-08-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002